PDA

View Full Version : GameGuard Possible In PSO2?

Jade DaBain
Jul 26, 2011, 03:27 AM
Knowing Sega, we all know that they have always relied on using GameGuard to "protect" there servers from hackers. Also, knowing hackers, they are known for easily bypassing GameGuard. With PSO2 sometime coming soon, we have to wonder, will Sega continue there tradition of using GameGuard, which allows hackers to continue to ruin the Phantasy Star games, or will they be smart and either make there own protection, have GM support constantly in game, or use a better third party protection program?

Also, woo hoo! 100th post written! :D

RemiusTA
Jul 26, 2011, 03:33 AM
Excuse my language, but BOY i fucking hope not.

Gameguard might as well be a virus in itself...

Vashyron
Jul 26, 2011, 03:33 AM
Gameguard would basically be a invitation to hackers.

Good scenario would be them coding their server "well" and have GMs around for assistance.

Bad scenario, leave all sorts of important things client sided and try to mask it with Gameguard. + Having 0 GMs around 99% of the time.

We'll only be able to tell when the game actually comes out.

Jade DaBain
Jul 26, 2011, 03:39 AM
Gameguard would basically be a invitation to hackers.

Good scenario would be them coding their server "well" and have GMs around for assistance.

Bad scenario, leave all sorts of important things client sided and try to mask it with Gameguard. + Having 0 GMs around 99% of the time.

We'll only be able to tell when the game actually comes out.

Thats exactly what I mentioned in my last post. Im hoping for Sega to wise up and make there own protection or have GMs on at all times.

Vashyron
Jul 26, 2011, 03:44 AM
Even if they have a moderate amount of GMs around most of the time, it'll mean nothing if it runs on Gameguard.

A lot of potential cheating will go in the background at least for those who don't want to get banned that will probably effect the economy.

Jade DaBain
Jul 26, 2011, 03:47 AM
Even if they have a moderate amount of GMs around most of the time, it'll mean nothing if it runs on Gameguard.

A lot of potential cheating will go in the background at least for those who don't want to get banned that will probably effect the economy.

True, GameGuard, even with GMs, is not a good thing. Id take a game with no protection but GMs everywhere then the same thing but with GameGuard added to it.

Dragwind
Jul 26, 2011, 07:04 AM
I don't even want to think of the possibility of Gameguard being used again.

Tetsaru
Jul 26, 2011, 02:47 PM
Gameguard was just retarded. You had to run/update it before you could even get on the game, and if I recall, you had to use it when you were playing OFFLINE as well... WTF??

Get rid of that shit and have a competent GM team overseeing the game 24/7 that you can report issues to in-game.

*OHBOYEE 3,000th post!* :wacko:

Kizeragi
Jul 26, 2011, 07:01 PM
I'd have anything but GameGuard tbh. It's more a pain in the neck instead of security.
Would be nice if SEGA did implement their own security, 24/7 support thing. Well, they better do it if they want PSO2 to be mega successful. I know I'd want that anyway.

Fossil
Jul 26, 2011, 08:34 PM
All I have to say is I hope they can control the cheaters this time around. If they fail as bad as they did with PSO back on the Gamecube I am definitely not going to tolerate it. I sincerely hope they allow for some sort of personal backup or at least don't force it to be server side saving because PSO is the type of game to drag on for years and years and there will always be lots of stragglers that want to continue playing. So I hope Sega has taken this into consideration for the future.

NoiseHERO
Jul 26, 2011, 08:40 PM
I'm guess you had to run game guard offline....

To prevent offline cheating? Even though offline and online obviously weren't connected, and it failed horribly either way. I guess it was to hide us being drip fed disc content.

edit: psht I dunno.

ShadowDragon28
Jul 26, 2011, 08:49 PM
What would be a more effective anti-hack security system than GameGuard?

Jade DaBain
Jul 27, 2011, 01:28 AM

Making your own?

Malachite
Jul 27, 2011, 01:31 AM

Anything, ever? Hell, even just the absence of gameguard would be better than it actually being there.

Ecchi
Jul 27, 2011, 01:34 AM
Yea I agree GG was rather easy to bypass....

Oatmeal
Jul 28, 2011, 12:56 PM
The biggest problem was that so many aspects of the game were handled on the client end where the server would just take any data it received at face value. Game Guard was just a piss-poor bandage on that gaping wound.

Jade DaBain
Jul 29, 2011, 02:13 AM
The biggest problem was that so many aspects of the game were handled on the client end where the server would just take any data it received at face value. Game Guard was just a piss-poor bandage on that gaping wound.

Remember, PSO was Sega's first attempt at making an online game on a console. In fact, it was the first online game on a console, if Im correct. There were bound to have a few mistakes that were to be done there, but they learned from those mistakes, but they didnt learn to not use GameGuard.

Hotobu
Jul 29, 2011, 03:16 AM
The biggest problem was that so many aspects of the game were handled on the client end where the server would just take any data it received at face value.

...aaaaand there it is. That's been the problem historically. Game data needs to be handled server side. Anyone complaining "why do I have to be online to play offline mode" can cry a river for me to piss in.

LoveRappy
Jul 30, 2011, 03:07 AM
SEGA has to use their own security system. NOT Game Guard. Using Game Guard is guarantee the game will fail.

Big name MMOs like WoW, EQ2, etc, use their own anti-cheat/anti-hacking methods that are not publicly known. SEGA has to as well.

If PSO2 uses Game Guard, I am afraid I will not be playing it. I don't need a root kit on my PC.

Jade DaBain
Jul 30, 2011, 03:36 AM
SEGA has to use their own security system. NOT Game Guard. Using Game Guard is guarantee the game will fail.

Big name MMOs like WoW, EQ2, etc, use their own anti-cheat/anti-hacking methods that are not publicly known. SEGA has to as well.

If PSO2 uses Game Guard, I am afraid I will not be playing it. I don't need a root kit on my PC.

Like how WoW has Warden, which Blizzard made exclusively for WoW. Warden works extremely well at keeping the cheaters and hackers down, but not 100%. It is enough though that its not a problem to others or the game itself. The GMs can easily take care of the rest by then.

Mike
Aug 16, 2011, 07:59 AM
I've got some bad news. The alpha uses Game Guard.

Vashyron
Aug 16, 2011, 08:02 AM
Saw that on PSUblog.

My reaction: Lolololololololol.

Tyreek
Aug 16, 2011, 08:06 AM
Oh my lord... Why Sega?! Don't you understand how flawed that security program is??? Try something else PLEASE!

Aldotsk
Aug 16, 2011, 08:21 AM
Here we go again with hackers destroying the economy

str898mustang
Aug 16, 2011, 08:27 AM
Unlike the SoA, SoJ takes hacking seriously. You dont see hacking going on in JP PSU do you? No

Vashyron
Aug 16, 2011, 08:30 AM
Unlike the SoA, SoJ takes hacking seriously. You dont see hacking going on in JP PSU do you? No

Lol. Don't see it = It's not happening eh?

Simply they have almost zero of the attention seeking type.

Tyreek
Aug 16, 2011, 08:30 AM
Then lets hope if this game does come international and all that jazz, they'll apply that seriousness on all versions.

str898mustang
Aug 16, 2011, 08:38 AM
if anything, it's the glitchers you need to worry about.

str898mustang
Aug 16, 2011, 08:39 AM
Lol. Don't see it = It's not happening eh?

if it is, it's not ruining the economy