PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 hacks/cheating

Poubelle
Jul 27, 2011, 07:25 PM
Do you think the PSO 2 will do a good job of preventing hacks and cheating this time around?

I'm hopeful, I hope they mention something about how they're going to make sure a PSO and PSU situation doesn't happen again.

for me, my PSO GC experience was well... filled with "hackers" , more like kids with an Action Replay haha ^^;

then when I preordered PSU , the PC/PS2 version was filled with hacked meseta, and duped items...if i remember correctly, it was under a month and meseta was completely worthless because it was just all duped.

im not sure what other hacks came after the meseta and item duping, for PSU PC/PS2... but i didnt stay long enough to know. (i played on the 360 version later on though)

sorry if it's already brought up... how do you think it will be handled next time... :-?

I think by now I can accepting that macros, botting, and things like that will of course exist... but I'm really hoping that serious cheating doesnt go on.

NoiseHERO
Jul 27, 2011, 07:28 PM
If they wanna make up for all of their past mistakes which seems like the impression they're trying to give...

They damn well better do a good job at preventing cheaters...

Or AT LEAST preventing them from breaking the entire economy and community... (For the 4th time...)

blazingsonic
Jul 27, 2011, 07:45 PM
If they wanna make up for all of their past mistakes which seems like the impression they're trying to give...

They damn well better do a good job at preventing cheaters...

Or AT LEAST preventing them from breaking the entire economy and community... (For the 4th time...)

What makes you think they'll think like that? :P

NoiseHERO
Jul 27, 2011, 08:01 PM
What makes you think they'll think like that? :P

SAKAI!

KodiaX987
Jul 27, 2011, 08:12 PM
Do you think Sonic Team will do a good job of preventing hacks and cheating this time around?

Is water dry?

Randomness
Jul 27, 2011, 08:13 PM
They did a good job preventing hacks in PSU.

Exploits are a different story.

Zipzo
Jul 27, 2011, 09:13 PM
They did a good job preventing hacks in PSU.

Exploits are a different story.
Players will find a way to exploit things if such things exist. That is a given 100% fact. If something like that exists, there are players who will figure out how to abuse it.

The question is how quickly will they respond to these exploits and patch them up before it sours our taste of the game.

PSO's situation was completely different because so much information was "client-side", rather than server. This gave way for Action Replay abuse.

Mike
Jul 27, 2011, 09:20 PM
Do you think Sonic Team will do a good job of preventing hacks and cheating this time around?
It's not up to Sonic Team. Sonic Team doesn't have anything to do with PSO2. It'll be up to the PSO2 operations team to prevent cheating. Who knows who will be in charge of doing that if other language versions come out.

Poubelle
Jul 27, 2011, 09:43 PM
I edited my post to be more general, but... why do you say that ST has nothing to do with PSO2? arent they developing it?

but anyway I don't know who will have the job of things stated in my OP, i just hope we have a cheat-free environment this time around

Mike
Jul 27, 2011, 09:57 PM
why do you say that ST has nothing to do with PSO2? arent they developing it?
Have you seen the Sonic Team logo on any PSO2 material?

Vampiro_X
Jul 27, 2011, 10:07 PM
Do you think the PSO 2 will do a good job of preventing hacks and cheating this time around?

I'm hopeful, I hope they mention something about how they're going to make sure a PSO and PSU situation doesn't happen again.

for me, my PSO GC experience was well... filled with "hackers" , more like kids with an Action Replay haha ^^;

then when I preordered PSU , the PC/PS2 version was filled with hacked meseta, and duped items...if i remember correctly, it was under a month and meseta was completely worthless because it was just all duped.

im not sure what other hacks came after the meseta and item duping, for PSU PC/PS2... but i didnt stay long enough to know. (i played on the 360 version later on though)

sorry if it's already brought up... how do you think it will be handled next time... :-?

I think by now I can accepting that macros, botting, and things like that will of course exist... but I'm really hoping that serious cheating doesnt go on.

I have 2 words for you! BLUE BURST! (HACK CENTRAL).

Now some other news PSO2 = HACK Central

Trainers about to come a plenty!

Vampiro_X
Jul 27, 2011, 10:09 PM
Is water dry?

Trainers! You watch and learn! Thats all I am going to say!

Zipzo
Jul 27, 2011, 10:29 PM
They developed PSO, it'd be tough to imagine they don't have at least some type of inclusion on this project...

Mike
Jul 27, 2011, 10:32 PM
They developed PSO, it'd be tough to imagine they don't have at least some type of inclusion on this project...

PSO2 and any Phantasy Star game after Portable 1 aren't listed on Sonic Team's website. I think it's safe to say that Phantasy Star is no longer in the hands of Sonic Team. The current staff may be grown up in Sonic Team but they don't seem to be a part of it anymore.

Dabian
Jul 27, 2011, 10:42 PM
In not so relevant news, Yuji Naka (Sonic Team veteran) is pretty excited about one of his newest creations......a fishing game.

You can tell from PSP2 that Sonic Team stopped being "involved" as actively, and the long arm of almighty Satoshi Sakai (the dude you see narrating the media briefing vids) has held the franchise ever since.

RemiusTA
Jul 27, 2011, 10:51 PM

....I have...

...literally never noticed that before. That's all kinds of odd. We have yet to see if that's a good or a bad thing.

You know, i'd figure after Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Colors, letting Sonic Team have development of this title would have been a great idea. But perhaps their forte has shifted now.

As long as they can keep the PSO composers, i dont care who works on it. No matter how good Colors or Unleashed was, Sonic Team 2011 is still nowhere close to the old Sonic Team during Sonic Adventure 2 / PSOEp.III and below.

BIG OLAF
Jul 27, 2011, 11:12 PM
....I have...

...literally never noticed that before.

Man, what the hell. I say the same thing Mike just said ("Sonic Team isn't working on PSO2") a month or two ago, and everyone jumped on my back and called me a liar. Oh, but now everyone notices. :nono:

AfroGuy!
Jul 27, 2011, 11:14 PM
i noticed before

Juza
Jul 27, 2011, 11:47 PM

Preventing? Zero hope. The mythical h4x-free game is just that, mythical.

I do have hope they'll do a better job at smacking people upside the head and removing ill-gotten exploited gains from the game this time around, though. (:

NoiseHERO
Jul 27, 2011, 11:53 PM
Nobody else found it weird that the games stopped sucking?

Kimil Adrayne
Jul 28, 2011, 12:49 AM

So its not just PSO2 that wasn't Sonic Team? Were PSP2 and PSP2i free of that filth?

Niloklives
Jul 28, 2011, 01:24 AM
Alfasystem...not ST for both of those

Jade DaBain
Jul 28, 2011, 03:19 AM
What is so wrong with Sonic Team? They did make classic Sonic as well as PSO, ya know. Sure, Sonic today is just starting to show that it can be as good as the classics, but doesnt that show that Sonic Team is at least trying to prove that they are as good as they were in the past?

Niloklives
Jul 28, 2011, 03:41 AM
The sonic team that made PSO is not the Sonic Team that made PSu which is not the Same Sonic team that made Sonic Colors (not even sure they made sonic colors). ST has been through multiple revamps over the past 10 years. Just like The Giants aren't the same Team they were 10 years ago. People retire, leave for new jobs, are fired, etc. it's just not the same group and it's silly to equate successes from a decade ago with the current incarnation of said team.

Jade DaBain
Jul 28, 2011, 03:44 AM
The sonic team that made PSO is not the Sonic Team that made PSu which is not the Same Sonic team that made Sonic Colors (not even sure they made sonic colors). ST has been through multiple revamps over the past 10 years. Just like The Giants aren't the same Team they were 10 years ago. People retire, leave for new jobs, are fired, etc. it's just not the same group and it's silly to equate successes from a decade ago with the current incarnation of said team.

I see. I didnt think of it like that. So, basically, its a new staff with maybe a few "oldies" still there.

Powder Keg
Jul 28, 2011, 04:29 AM
The game is on PC....cheating is going to happen one way or the other eventually.

What really matters is how it's handled and how fast. All I'm going to say is we should probably be prepared for it....if you're the type of player who will quit forever at the first sign of cheating like some PSU players did when meseta was getting duped, then you may as well not even bother at all, lol

Jade DaBain
Jul 28, 2011, 04:42 AM
The game is on PC....cheating is going to happen one way or the other eventually.

What really matters is how it's handled and how fast. All I'm going to say is we should probably be prepared for it....if you're the type of player who will quit forever at the first sign of cheating like some PSU players did when meseta was getting duped, then you may as well not even bother at all, lol

I agree. That is what the cheaters and hackers want. For you to quit and the game to fail. If you quit, they win. So, dont quit. Play and keep playing. When the cheaters and hackers fail, then you win! :D

Niloklives
Jul 28, 2011, 04:54 AM
that sounds like the response to 911. "go spend all your money. if you don't waste all your money of frivolous things to generate imaginary revenue, the terrorists win."

Hackers screw around with this stuff because they don't want to experience the game as it was intended. it's entirely disruptive, but MOST hackers remain quiet about their activities and prefer to stay in the shadows, NOT spreading misery wherever they go. The problem is the few fools who DO ruin things for everyone is all it takes to make the game unpleasant.

Point is don't group everyone together, I'm sure you'd hate being stereotyped, too.

Jade DaBain
Jul 28, 2011, 04:56 AM
that sounds like the response to 911. "go spend all your money. if you don't waste all your money of frivolous things to generate imaginary revenue, the terrorists win."

Hackers screw around with this stuff because they don't want to experience the game as it was intended. it's entirely disruptive, but MOST hackers remain quiet about their activities and prefer to stay in the shadows, NOT spreading misery wherever they go. The problem is the few fools who DO ruin things for everyone is all it takes to make the game unpleasant.

Point is don't group everyone together, I'm sure you'd hate being stereotyped, too.

True. Ive been stereotyped many times. Its not pleasant, believe me.

Totori
Jul 28, 2011, 05:07 AM
No Sonic Team is working on PSO2, they have worked on all major PS games, I have proof.

voxie
Jul 28, 2011, 08:04 AM
One form of security I've yet to heard ever going wrong is the random number code generating things, like's WoW's: http://www.wowwiki.com/Blizzard_Authenticator

It's the same kind of thing big banks use for logging on to your online bank account.

Whether Sega will invest in this kind of security model though...? I doubt it :(

Zipzo
Jul 28, 2011, 09:13 AM
No Sonic Team is working on PSO2, they have worked on all major PS games, I have proof.
I liked the part where you had proof.

Oh wait.

Jade DaBain
Jul 28, 2011, 09:16 AM
One form of security I've yet to heard ever going wrong is the random number code generating things, like's WoW's: http://www.wowwiki.com/Blizzard_Authenticator

It's the same kind of thing big banks use for logging on to your online bank account.

Whether Sega will invest in this kind of security model though...? I doubt it :(

Wouldnt it be expensive to mass produce those items? Also, whats the chances that they will get lost or stolen themselves?

Dabian
Jul 28, 2011, 10:17 AM
Security is a problem in itself, compounded by the game's potential/perceived popularity. If it's worth hacking, you can bet they'll attack whatever form of protection that is implemented.

That said, I really hope for a safe game :)

Poubelle
Jul 28, 2011, 10:55 AM

the reason I quit pretty soon after the hacking started in PCU/PS2 was because, I figure if I'm paying a subscription fee there should be more protection against things like this. before PSU came out I was kinda into FFXI which had ingame GMs always on and better protection against this kind of thing.

there were bots and macro type things, there was also a hack to make you walk faster and some other minor things available.
and this was all like years after the game came out iirc. but although these things did exist ( and maybe other hacks) , they didnt exactly break the game, and in most cases, wouldnt disturb me... or disrupt my gameplay. if it did i would just use the GM call, but it never did.

for psu it was like 1 week in and the economy was destroyed forever lol. so yea it was discouraging .

Hotobu
Jul 28, 2011, 11:05 AM
More than just hacks, what about not randomly losing weapons and inventory?

I guess it's been corrected, but it got to a point on Dreamcast and Gamecube where your inventory could possibly be completely wiped, but there was the much better chance that anything unequipped would be erased from your inventory. It was because of this I bought a memory card to start duping all of my stuff. Not only didn't I want to accidentally lose something that I forgot to deposit (and oh BTW what you deposit may not be safe either) I liked to play with 3-4 different weapons for different situations. I hated the fact that random weapon loss meant without backups I could only carry 1 weapon.

Zipzo
Jul 28, 2011, 11:40 AM
More than just hacks, what about not randomly losing weapons and inventory?

I guess it's been corrected, but it got to a point on Dreamcast and Gamecube where your inventory could possibly be completely wiped, but there was the much better chance that anything unequipped would be erased from your inventory. It was because of this I bought a memory card to start duping all of my stuff. Not only didn't I want to accidentally lose something that I forgot to deposit (and oh BTW what you deposit may not be safe either) I liked to play with 3-4 different weapons for different situations. I hated the fact that random weapon loss meant without backups I could only carry 1 weapon.I played GC PSO endlessly for thousands of hours and never experienced this.

Niloklives
Jul 28, 2011, 11:52 AM
it happened if you lost power or the game crashed. you were just lucky.

Zipzo
Jul 28, 2011, 12:07 PM
it happened if you lost power or the game crashed. you were just lucky.That was a memory card corruption, which I actually did experience once because of a freeze, which is completely different from your inventory just randomly disappearing on you (what the person I quoted alluded to).

Hotobu
Jul 28, 2011, 12:19 PM
it happened if you lost power or the game crashed. you were just lucky.

It was more than just that. Just going from offline to online or server to server it could happen as well.

Dragwind
Jul 29, 2011, 06:58 AM
They did a great job with anti-hacking on PSU compared to PSO (aside from glitches, there wasn't any serious damage). I'm confident at this point that if it does happen on PSO2, damage would be minimal.

voxie
Jul 30, 2011, 12:31 AM
Wouldnt it be expensive to mass produce those items? Also, whats the chances that they will get lost or stolen themselves?

I think they can be attached like a keyring (wow's version).

And yeah they cost money to produce, so highly doubt Sega will take this route. Unless PSO2 becomes HUGE of course.

Sinue_v2
Jul 30, 2011, 12:49 AM
Is water dry?

http://www.canyoneering.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1868&stc=1&d=1270947170

... which also fairly accurately sums up my thoughts on Sega's assurances that cheating won't be a problem this time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As to whether or not Sonic Team is involved in making PSO2, I don't really care. I'm not going to be truly happy until Naka, Yoshida, and Kodama (among others) are back on the development staff... or at least Kodama and Yoshida. And that's a pipe dream and a half. I might compromise a bit if they'd just let them work on Skies of Arcadia 2, or at the very least let them fucking localize 7th Dragon.

http://www.phantasy-star.net/art/compendium/teamps.jpg

*Sheds tear*

Orochinagi
Jul 30, 2011, 01:19 AM
I played GC PSO endlessly for thousands of hours and never experienced this.

I have, multiple times. It got me into a habit of logging off after each trade to ensure that the servers received my trade data.

Orochinagi
Jul 30, 2011, 01:25 AM
It was more than just that. Just going from offline to online or server to server it could happen as well.

Ok, now THAT I haven't experienced at all.

RemiusTA
Jul 30, 2011, 02:52 AM
http://www.canyoneering.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1868&stc=1&d=1270947170

... which also fairly accurately sums up my thoughts on Sega's assurances that cheating won't be a problem this time.
*headasplodes*

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As to whether or not Sonic Team is involved in making PSO2, I don't really care. I'm not going to be truly happy until Naka, Yoshida, and Kodama (among others) are back on the development staff... or at least Kodama and Yoshida. And that's a pipe dream and a half. I might compromise a bit if they'd just let them work on Skies of Arcadia 2, or at the very least let them fucking localize 7th Dragon.

*Sheds tear*

Naka? Coming back to ST?

bwaaahahahaha

ColonD
Jul 31, 2011, 10:40 PM
Wasn't there a way to force crashes on other players in PSO?
Yeaaah. All I want is NOT THAT.

StriderTuna
Jul 31, 2011, 11:00 PM
From his recent activities, Naka coming back might not be much help, though Sega blundered on the DS scene for sure as they kinda butchered the plot of the Sands of Destruction game (tried to half-ass kiddy it up with disasterous results) and not releasing 7th Dragon (if marked correctly, it could have gone toe to toe with Etarian Oydessy.)

But I think the Sonic Team wishes they could do something else other than churn out sonic games.

I have to wonder if Sega plans on putting in a GM system so someone could attempt to counter act cheating. I heard various tales of FFXI's GMs fighting the forces of hackers and Gil Sellers, with a nice chunk being funny.

Jade DaBain
Jul 31, 2011, 11:23 PM

*Sheds tear*

Dehydrated water. Just add water? OK.......

Masterflower
Jul 31, 2011, 11:36 PM
Lol GMs in FFXI were to be feared lol. They could pretty much hack your game and do legally lol

Jade DaBain
Jul 31, 2011, 11:41 PM
Lol GMs in FFXI were to be feared lol. They could pretty much hack your game and do legally lol

GMs in any game can go into another person's account and do anything to it.

Masterflower
Jul 31, 2011, 11:54 PM

Idk, GMs in PSU.. I never really saw them as a threat or anything. Im still trying to figure out how you run out of data. >_>;

Skye-Fox713
Aug 1, 2011, 12:05 AM

I know its like they can violate your characters and your characters would never even know.

Jade DaBain
Aug 1, 2011, 12:07 AM
I know its like they can violate your characters and your characters would never even know.

Help! A GM raped my character! I need a GM..... oh wait.

StriderTuna
Aug 1, 2011, 12:14 AM

GM Dave only unleashed his evil upon hackers, Gil sellers, people who whine to GMs about petty stuff, and people stupid enough to provoke him. And a part of the time, his mother.

Jade DaBain
Aug 1, 2011, 12:15 AM
GM Dave only unleashed his evil upon hackers, Gil sellers, people who whine to GMs about petty stuff, and people stupid enough to provoke him. And a part of the time, his mother.

A GM attacking his mother...... Have they no shame?

StriderTuna
Aug 1, 2011, 12:19 AM
Well if he's to be believed, she was no saint and possibly the root of why he enjoys feeding people to a giant purple dragon boss among other comically cruel things.

Jade DaBain
Aug 1, 2011, 12:26 AM
Well if he's to be believed, she was no saint and possibly the root of why he enjoys feeding people to a giant purple dragon boss among other comically cruel things.

Giant Purple Dragon Boss: OM NOM NOM NOM..... *burp*

StriderTuna
Aug 1, 2011, 12:40 AM
http://bannable-offenses.blogspot.com/

But go back to the early posts as those are filled with more antics than the recent ones. If he was say a GM for a PS game, well there'd be much less hacking and increased cases of heart burn for whatever dragon boss was in the game.

RikaPSOW
Aug 7, 2011, 09:31 PM
I doubt there will be any hacking or cheating for PSO2.

With PSO, the game server just about always trusted the game client. The game client was on your computer/console. It's memory could be modified. Client tells server the other client is supposed to be NOL. Other client is now NOL (well something like that).

Even with Blue Burst. Sega didn't learn and still let the client handle just about anything. Hence it could be hacked. There were less exploitable things in Blue burst than previous versions to my knowledge.

I haven't really played PSU on the PC. Now PSU is different. Server probably handles a lot more now, not the game client. The client displayed information from the server, that is all. Now, yes meseta I heard was hacked a lot on it, but it was patched eventually (to my knowledge). I'm not sure how they duped meseta so I can't really say the client told the server what to do till Sega patched it.

Now we have PSO2. Which is in alpha test. If anyone does decide to hack on it, let's say meseta,
Sega will patch the method before the game's release.
Probably only some really smart people will be able to cheat on PSO2 if they care to waste their time.

Hatrix
Aug 7, 2011, 09:53 PM
They should be able to handle any exploits this time. I think there will be different servers and honestly the Japanese deserve a server void of annoying english teenage spamers. I can't see updating between a NA/EU & JP server very problematic if the game is only on PC. I never had any issues on the ps2 version of AOI, so I can't imagine this games economy will dissentigrate like PSO

moorebounce
Aug 8, 2011, 09:29 AM

They started sucking when Yuji Naka left Sonic Team. They're now realizing they need to go back to what Yuji Naka was trying to do.

KodiaX987
Aug 8, 2011, 10:34 AM
Sega will patch the method before the game's release.

Good one! :)

Masterflower
Aug 8, 2011, 11:43 AM
honestly the Japanese deserve a server void of annoying english teenage spamers.

That is why we have blacklists for. Plus with the server united, means a better GM staff that will be present more often then they were on PSU. I swear I only saw GMs once in a few months. This isnt the 1930s and 40s, its the year 2011. Its been almost a century, let the bad blood and find peace >_<;

Fayorei
Aug 8, 2011, 01:03 PM
They should be able to handle any exploits this time. I think there will be different servers and honestly the Japanese deserve a server void of annoying english teenage spamers. I can't see updating between a NA/EU & JP server very problematic if the game is only on PC. I never had any issues on the ps2 version of AOI, so I can't imagine this games economy will dissentigrate like PSO

Yeah, Japan only deserves their own annoying teenage spammers! Wait, what?

Honestly why do we deserve them too? Can't we just take the annoying teenage spammers, and move them to a desert island?

At any rate, I think I'd love the idea of FFXI-esque servers if only to slightly keep hacking down. On a unified server, a more watchful eye can be placed on that sort of thing. I can blacklist a spammer, and so can Japan.:P

RikaPSOW
Aug 8, 2011, 02:31 PM
Good one! :)

I'll take it your being sarcastic. >>
Forgot to write "probably".

Sega does have time to patch anything during alpha testing (I'm not saying everything).
It's at their digression to patch any exploits.

It's not hard preventing cheating from lol cheat engine and the like when everything is server side (which Sega should be doing in the first place).
Exploiting with packet editing would allow cheating, but as long as Sega protects their encryption that shouldn't be a problem.

I hope they don't use game guard though, I hate that thing. Something else would be nice.

Like I said, it's their decision to patch something.

Corey Blue
Aug 8, 2011, 07:20 PM
I mean the game is going to be hacked for sure,I just hope they have it more under control this time and actually ban people before shit get's messy.

SnowfoxZero
Aug 8, 2011, 08:32 PM

Highly doubtful. They rely on others for security.

Arkan
Aug 9, 2011, 12:58 AM
It's only a matter of time till it's hacked and meseta is worth nothing, as usual.

Rizen
Aug 9, 2011, 09:49 AM
You didn't hear this from me, but trading actually became more fun and interesting after meseta became worthless.

/runsaway

Kion
Aug 9, 2011, 07:58 PM
If the JP and NA servers are linked I can see them making an effort. I wouldn't hold my breath for the NA servers if they're separated again.