PDA

View Full Version : Not-so-informed speculations

Dabian
Jul 27, 2011, 08:36 PM
My crystal ball's cracked and foggy. But here are some things to "consider" while we anxiously await more updates.

-Perhaps some of you are aware of Shining Force Cross Raid. Watched some vids, watched the PSO2 vids....and saw similarities.

"omg you conspiracy theorist you need some fresh air." Methinks Cross Raid was a small scale "test" for both the appeal, and the logistics of PSO2.

"You noob Cross Raid's an arcade game." And the common factor is networking. That's the often not-discussed aspect of an online game until people actually get some hands on time.

"PSO2 will come to consoles then?!" To this dead horse I have this to say...Sega will release it on whichever platform that makes business sense. Example: Blizzard wouldn't say "we like Wii so we'll make World of Warcraft Wii-only" now would they? :p

-Most of us have probably followed PSO and its various version and "expansions" throughout its lifetime. Same deal with PSU/AotI. And then PSP2/PSP2:i. If and IF we get a repeat of this, we're likely to see expansions/additional content. And the character creation vids did seem to possess alot of free "space" :p

"And we'll have to buy every version just to play the most updated build." Sadly. Here's to hoping that with a more robust digital delivery mechanic, it'll be less of a hassle.

"Of course you have to update. Otherwise people get bored." I understand that. I also think that if you're perceived to be unable to make up your mind about something (2h sword speed anyone?) it doesn't bode well for those who can't afford/are on the fence about buying your next upgrade whatever. Updates and patch fixes would probably be a more viable answer than releasing entire versions just to change something.

"So I could get MAGs later on?!" They advertised alot of things for PSU. Some saw light of day, some....well...:p Point is not to keep thinking "because it's PSO2 they'll throw EVERY PSO-thing back in. That's not realistic.

Flame away.

Zipzo
Jul 28, 2011, 05:32 AM
I think I speak for everyone when I say...what the hell is your point?

This is likely the reason you have several views but a lack of any real response...because nobody probably has any idea what you're on about and how to reply. What exactly can we flame you on? None of what you posted seems to be a glaring opinion worth flaming...but you know what I'm going to give it a shot here, I think I'm a sensible guy.

"PSO2 will come to consoles then?!" To this dead horse I have this to say...Sega will release it on whichever platform that makes business sense. Example: Blizzard wouldn't say "we like Wii so we'll make World of Warcraft Wii-only" now would they?
They have specifically chosen to do it PC only this time around as a pragmatical choice, they believe they can keep the game more streamlined in terms of content, most of us will agree that it's good for the game as a whole, it has nothing to do with money.

Perhaps some of you are aware of Shining Force Cross Raid. Watched some vids, watched the PSO2 vids....and saw similarities.

"omg you conspiracy theorist you need some fresh air." Methinks Cross Raid was a small scale "test" for both the appeal, and the logistics of PSO2.

"You noob Cross Raid's an arcade game." And the common factor is networking. That's the often not-discussed aspect of an online game until people actually get some hands on time.
Have zero clue what you're talking about. Why does it even matter?

Most of us have probably followed PSO and its various version and "expansions" throughout its lifetime. Same deal with PSU/AotI. And then PSP2/PSP2:i. If and IF we get a repeat of this, we're likely to see expansions/additional content. And the character creation vids did seem to possess alot of free "space"

"And we'll have to buy every version just to play the most updated build." Sadly. Here's to hoping that with a more robust digital delivery mechanic, it'll be less of a hassle.

Of course you have to update. Otherwise people get bored." I understand that. I also think that if you're perceived to be unable to make up your mind about something (2h sword speed anyone?) it doesn't bode well for those who can't afford/are on the fence about buying your next upgrade whatever. Updates and patch fixes would probably be a more viable answer than releasing entire versions just to change something.

Ok. Expansions happen. PSU only had one expansion you had to buy in its years and it was a major content/game-changing update like any expansion is, what exactly are you whining about here?

"So I could get MAGs later on?!" They advertised alot of things for PSU. Some saw light of day, some....well... Point is not to keep thinking "because it's PSO2 they'll throw EVERY PSO-thing back in. That's not realistic.
Ok. Nobody thinks this is going to be a carbon copy of PSO.

Flame away.
Uh...you're ugly? Oh, and welcome to the forums.

Jade DaBain
Jul 28, 2011, 05:45 AM
I think I speak for everyone when I say...what the hell is your point?

This is likely the reason you have several views but a lack of any real response...because nobody probably has any idea what you're on about. What exactly can we flame you on? None of what you posted seems to be a glaring opinion on something that I can see...

I get what he is saying. He is trying to tell us that you shouldnt go and rant about how something should or shouldnt be in the game because its not up to you to decide whats going to be in the game, its Sega's decision. Sure, it be nice to have Mags, see it on "name your console", have beasts, be more like PSO, etc but its up to Sega if they want that stuff. If they do, they will either have it on launch or add it in an update, but thats when Sega says they want it, but because you want it now.

Zipzo
Jul 28, 2011, 05:55 AM
I get what he is saying. He is trying to tell us that you shouldnt go and rant about how something should or shouldnt be in the game because its not up to you to decide whats going to be in the game, its Sega's decision. Sure, it be nice to have Mags, see it on "name your console", have beasts, be more like PSO, etc but its up to Sega if they want that stuff. If they do, they will either have it on launch or add it in an update, but thats when Sega says they want it, but because you want it now.
Um...I didn't get that at all from the post. Interesting interpretation though.

Dabian
Jul 28, 2011, 10:12 AM
Oh dear, sorry. Never thought I'd come across as that.

Wasn't rambling, and certainly not a fanboi/angry person/doomsayer/troll just leading you on. Jade's got it though. in addition to some of my observations from the info released thus far, I thought I'd weigh in with another perspective, Sega's.

I certainly don't speak for them, but like I said earlier, understand that sometimes developers don't always seem to "care/think about/cater to" us because unlike us, they have other more life and death concerns, chief of which is money.

The comment about the network side of things was to raise the point that it does matter. You can have a super fun game, hosted on bad/overloaded/hacked to bits servers and your fun factor plummets. I cited Cross Raid because if you've played any of Sega's network arcade games, even Sengokushi Taisen, then you'll know why I express concern about the network aspect.

[This next part is pure speculation if it wasn't clear enough]
The similarities between Cross Raid and what we've seen so far in PSO2 and PSP2 are in my opinion, more than coincidence. I reckon the best way they could "openly" test a online network in a "closed" and controlled setting would be the arcades. (Have you stepped into one lately?) So my conspiracy theory is that..../clears throat....."it has all led to this". :p

Zipzo
Jul 28, 2011, 11:25 AM
Oh dear, sorry. Never thought I'd come across as that.

Wasn't rambling, and certainly not a fanboi/angry person/doomsayer/troll just leading you on. Jade's got it though. in addition to some of my observations from the info released thus far, I thought I'd weigh in with another perspective, Sega's.
That's sort of precisely what you did(ramble).

I certainly don't speak for them, but like I said earlier, understand that sometimes developers don't always seem to "care/think about/cater to" us because unlike us, they have other more life and death concerns, chief of which is money.You certainly do not, and I can tell you with certainty that this game is going to be PC only.

The comment about the network side of things was to raise the point that it does matter. You can have a super fun game, hosted on bad/overloaded/hacked to bits servers and your fun factor plummets. I cited Cross Raid because if you've played any of Sega's network arcade games, even Sengokushi Taisen, then you'll know why I express concern about the network aspect.
The reason this bit doesn't matter is because you might as well be saying that grass is green. Yes, an online game can be "un-fun" if the servers suck or gets hacked to bits. Any more additions to the book of obvious?

[This next part is pure speculation if it wasn't clear enough]
The similarities between Cross Raid and what we've seen so far in PSO2 and PSP2 are in my opinion, more than coincidence. I reckon the best way they could "openly" test a online network in a "closed" and controlled setting would be the arcades. (Have you stepped into one lately?) So my conspiracy theory is that..../clears throat....."it has all led to this". :pSomething you seem to be neglecting is that this isn't their first rodeo. They've had online games before. Do you know why there's a "2" at the end of the name of the game? Why would you think they need a martyr game to test how to work an online server? Your theory is baseless and makes no sense, and I still don't see the point of it...

...and no, I think the last time I walked in to an arcade to actually spend money on such uselessness I was probably under 10.

Dabian
Jul 28, 2011, 12:17 PM
I wasn't even trying to, even made effort to avoid giving the impression I was part of the "console vs PC" debate. That wasn't the point of my post. Do I really seem like one of those blind whiners that much to you Drayk?

Look, this thread was started mostly in jest, not as a "QQ PC only" or "Consoles suck" thread. I probably need to work on my humor...

The network point is obvious, yet companies still do it wrong sometimes. I'm not bashing the game. I want it to succeed. I want to play on stable servers. But I am also aware (painfully) that it only takes server hiccups to ruin it and customers may not return, ultimately hurting the game's longevity.

Fine. I apologize for stating the obvious.

Who said anything about martyring? I was merely putting similarities together and throwing my 2 cents. It was IMO, a step in a larger plan to test/implement/stress something in a controlled environment before they would gravitate towards bigger bases. If I was trying to prove this admittedly not-so-ironclad theory would I have named my thread title so? I'm just throwing it out there.

The reason I reply to you isn't that you disagree with my theory. But rather, I'm detecting hostility to which I am really really in the dark as to why.

Zipzo
Jul 28, 2011, 12:39 PM
I wasn't even trying to, even made effort to avoid giving the impression I was part of the "console vs PC" debate. That wasn't the point of my post. Do I really seem like one of those blind whiners that much to you Drayk?

Look, this thread was started mostly in jest, not as a "QQ PC only" or "Consoles suck" thread. I probably need to work on my humor...

The network point is obvious, yet companies still do it wrong sometimes. I'm not bashing the game. I want it to succeed. I want to play on stable servers. But I am also aware (painfully) that it only takes server hiccups to ruin it and customers may not return, ultimately hurting the game's longevity.

Fine. I apologize for stating the obvious.

Who said anything about martyring? I was merely putting similarities together and throwing my 2 cents. It was IMO, a step in a larger plan to test/implement/stress something in a controlled environment before they would gravitate towards bigger bases. If I was trying to prove this admittedly not-so-ironclad theory would I have named my thread title so? I'm just throwing it out there.

The reason I reply to you isn't that you disagree with my theory. But rather, I'm detecting hostility to which I am really really in the dark as to why.You told me to flame away, this ain't Disneyland, it's a dog eat dog world mate.

All I'm saying is none of the "points" you made in your OP seem substantial enough to warrant its own topic, but that's just in my opinion. I'm very accustomed to strictly moderated forums (which this isn't) so useless topics sort of raise my eyebrow, apologies for the tone.

If the game is enjoyable, I will play it. I don't care if people cheat, or if the server sometimes has hiccups (unless SEGA outright refuses to solve the issues, which is unlikely). I love the Phantasy Star franchise so I will be playing the game, I'm not really concerned at all with those who are trying to measure it up to everything else, if they aren't sure about playing it, then they don't need to play it.

Dabian
Jul 28, 2011, 12:57 PM
Misunderstanding cleared (for me at least).

There's always going to be comparison, particularly so in this case, because PSO was PSO. I think drawing comparisons in itself is fine, but as with most sensitive and topics dear to peoples' hearts, irrationality creeps in.

That's when you get delusion masked as speculation, fact denounced as blasphemy, and worse, ignore the debate and mud-sling instead. Commendable passion, and amusing too sometimes :)

blazingsonic
Jul 28, 2011, 01:53 PM

My thoughts exactly.

Nitro Vordex
Jul 28, 2011, 01:56 PM
OP was obviously just arguing with himself, guys. Wasn't looking any responses. :wacko:

RemiusTA
Jul 28, 2011, 05:01 PM
^ ^

this is what im thinking as well. The only thing this topic has achieved is confusing me to the point of not caring what anyone types in it.

op, try throwing some actual statements into your post next time. I have no clue what you're talking about or what you're trying to say.

Zipzo
Jul 28, 2011, 07:04 PM
^ ^

this is what im thinking as well. The only thing this topic has achieved is confusing me to the point of not caring what anyone types in it.

op, try throwing some actual statements into your post next time. I have no clue what you're talking about or what you're trying to say.
Yes! I'm so glad I wasn't the only one that had this semi-unexplainable feeling, lol.