PDA

View Full Version : So Sonic Team aren't doing PSO2?

voxie
Jul 28, 2011, 08:10 AM
Just realised this through posts on another thread. Shocked at myself for not noticing, but then since Naka-san's departure and Sonic game fails recently (Sonic 4 anyone?), Sonic Team is perhaps a nostalgic memory of the good times, not having anything to do with the present... :(

Anyone know for sure Sonic Team are phased out though?

Damn, could this mean no ChuChu MAGs and Burning Ranger fire mission... :D :(

r00tabaga
Jul 28, 2011, 08:35 AM
I still see Amy, Tails & Sonic as character names however. I did know that there was a new team involved.

T_Esquire
Jul 28, 2011, 08:52 AM
Sonic Team is likely making it, but that's all they're doing. Maintenance after-the-fact is usually handled by a team dedicated just to that.

Ezodagrom
Jul 28, 2011, 09:04 AM
Just realised this through posts on another thread. Shocked at myself for not noticing, but then since Naka-san's departure and Sonic game fails recently (Sonic 4 anyone?), Sonic Team is perhaps a nostalgic memory of the good times, not having anything to do with the present... :(

Sonic 4 was made mostly by Dimps, which made the Sonic Rush series.

The latest Sonic game made by Sonic Team was actually not bad, Sonic Colours (or Sonic Colors) for the Wii.

The next Sonic game, which is also being made by Sonic Team, so far seems to be good, Sonic Generations for the PS3, XBox 360 and maybe PC (not counting with the 3DS version here because that one is being made by Dimps).

About PSO2, who knows... My guess is that it's being developed by both Sonic Team members that worked on previous Phantasy Star games and by the team that worked on the Phantasy Star Portable series.

Jade DaBain
Jul 28, 2011, 09:08 AM
Im sure we will find out soon if Sonic Team is in charge or not.

Zipzo
Jul 28, 2011, 09:12 AM
Past ST members I'm sure are a part of the project but it seems the Phantasy Star franchise is out of ST's hands officially at the moment. This is sort of old news though.

landman
Jul 28, 2011, 01:59 PM
Sonic Team is only a brand, the current "Sonic Team" are a bunch of new programmers that started working on Unleashed, not a bad game IMO.

Ten years ago every Sega studio was a company of its own. That was expensive, every team needed their own infrastructure and personnel, the first thing Sammy did was reassembling them into "teams". Today those teams are only a few (Iizuka, Nagoshi, AM2...), and I'm not sure were Sakai is.

chibiLegolas
Jul 28, 2011, 02:19 PM
Seeing how PSZ turned out with Sakai on board, I'm confidant PSO2 wouldn't stray too close to PSU and more PSO-ish. I just assumed with Sakai working on PSO2, he grabbed his team who did PSZ to work with him again. no?

RemiusTA
Jul 28, 2011, 02:26 PM
Sonic Team is one of Sega's first-party developers.

Even if it doesn't have their name on it...essentially it's probably the same thing. I guess the team who did PSP2 doesn't have a name yet?

They say they've got many designers who worked on PSO on the team for PSO2.

NoiseHERO
Jul 28, 2011, 02:27 PM
Technically it would be sonic team...in the sense that it'd be a chunk the same people...

But they're not under the name Sonic Team obviously...

RemiusTA
Jul 28, 2011, 02:32 PM
Not like it matters, Sonic Team hasn't been "Sonic Team" for years now. Until Colors (and maybe unleashed) they've been reduced to releasing medicore, trashy sonic games nonstop. Back when they were in full force however, we got stuff like PSO, Sonic Adventure1/2, Nights, Burning Rangers, Chu Chu rocket, Samba, ect ect.

They lost creativity and good direction a long time ago. This is why they struggled with the sonic series for so long, and why PSU ended up a somewhat shattered (broken) mess like it did in the end.

I've always loved their artists, though, and PSO's lead artist is among my favorite styles of all time. (which technically looks the same as PSU's art style, just not realized in-game.)

NoiseHERO
Jul 28, 2011, 02:41 PM
I think what bugs me is their music group...Wave Master Studios

They have so many talented people, and they've made so many awesome sound tracks.

But sometimes it's like they're not even told to try... :\

GCoffee
Jul 28, 2011, 03:11 PM
Honestly PSU's soundtrack sounded superb quite a few times OUTSIDE of the game. Take The Hunt - The End of Planets as the best example here; it sounded absolutely medicore in-game due to lack of stero, but the track is great when played from the soundtrack. The difference is just ridiculously big.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kix4tBjAHE

Mizuraki also had a great tune (even in-game):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlRDTb2JevQ&feature=related

Whatever the case, though, the return of the music changing during battles makes the soundtrack far superior to PSU already.

RemiusTA
Jul 28, 2011, 05:23 PM
I think what bugs me is their music group...Wave Master Studios

They have so many talented people, and they've made so many awesome sound tracks.

But sometimes it's like they're not even told to try... :\

Wave Master is absolutely amazing. I haven't heard anything from a game they've done i didn't like.

The ONLY exception would be PSU.

Legato Bluesummers
Jul 28, 2011, 05:40 PM
Wave Master is absolutely amazing. I haven't heard anything from a game they've done i didn't like.

The ONLY exception would be PSU.

Same here.

Thankfully, from the trailer music alone, it already seems like PSO2's music will be superior to PSU's substandard soundtrack.

RemiusTA
Jul 28, 2011, 06:15 PM
Honestly PSU's soundtrack sounded superb quite a few times OUTSIDE of the game. Take The Hunt - The End of Planets as the best example here; it sounded absolutely medicore in-game due to lack of stero, but the track is great when played from the soundtrack. The difference is just ridiculously big.

‪Phantasy Star Universe - The Hunt ~the End Of Planets~‬‏ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kix4tBjAHE)

‪Phantasy Star Universe Soundtrack: Mizuraki C.D.‬‏ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlRDTb2JevQ&feature=related)

Whatever the case, though, the return of the music changing during battles makes the soundtrack far superior to PSU already.

Yeah, there are a few songs in PSU that sounded like they were what the game was missing all along.

Good example would be the Christmas and Valentines tracks. I absolutely love the Valentine track.

hewitt
Jul 28, 2011, 06:30 PM
My favorite song from psu would have to be my happiness...

RemiusTA
Jul 28, 2011, 06:36 PM

Well, the fact that they're doing the game probably means they have access to everything from the old games. It's not a 3rd party team doing the game.

PSP2 wasn't Sonic Team, and still had content from other Sonic Team games, like Burning Rangers.

ShadowDragon28
Jul 28, 2011, 07:08 PM
I think it'd be cool to refer to the PSO2 development team as "Sakai Team"... >_>

ShinMaruku
Jul 28, 2011, 08:54 PM
I sure as hell hope it's not Sonic team, those guys made hot garbage after pso due to key people leaving make a new and less strained team make the game just have some st guys have direction with a good producing kicking them in the balls.

Randomness
Jul 28, 2011, 09:04 PM
Same here.

Thankfully, from the trailer music alone, it already seems like PSO2's music will be superior to PSU's substandard soundtrack.

The trailer music has been heavy on PSO tracks.

And PSO's music was beautiful.

Jade DaBain
Jul 29, 2011, 02:04 AM
The trailer music has been heavy on PSO tracks.

And PSO's music was beautiful.

I loved PSO's music, especially A Whole New World and Day Dawns. Mostly Day Dawns.

landman
Jul 29, 2011, 12:13 PM
My favorite song from psu would have to be my happiness...
Are you referring to the space channel 5 song?

PSU has some good music, and some awful one, just like PSO, Caves song was awful to my ears since the first time I heard it. You just have to listen to the music to find it interesting, while in PSO hearing it was enough most of the time.

voxie
Jul 29, 2011, 10:32 PM
The next Sonic game, which is also being made by Sonic Team, so far seems to be good, Sonic Generations for the PS3, XBox 360 and maybe PC (not counting with the 3DS version here because that one is being made by Dimps).

Thanks for correcting me on the Sonic 4 statement - it was indeed made by dimps. Sonic Rush wasn't bad though!

Sonic Generations however... I played the 360 demo, and Sonic jumps like he's got his balls caught on something. I quite dislike it.

‪Phantasy Star Universe - The Hunt ~the End Of Planets~‬‏ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kix4tBjAHE)

‪Phantasy Star Universe Soundtrack: Mizuraki C.D.‬‏ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlRDTb2JevQ&feature=related)

YES I love both of those tracks! The Hunt actually sounds very PSOish. And I can listen to Mizuraki over and over... In fact, I only played the PSU levels which had good music like this one - simply because the game itself kinda sucked for me.

And is the changing battle music really making a return?! I can't find the official statement...