PDA

View Full Version : Fan Fic Brave New World

Cinnamon Roll
Jul 28, 2011, 08:21 PM
Um, hi... About a month or so ago I posted a Phantasy Star fanfic on FanFiction that, well, compared to my other fanfics uploaded there...doesn't seem to be doing well so far. I won't bore you with my insanity at not getting a single view until nearly a week later, so I'll say this: I figured this would be a good place to post it as well. See how it well it does here.

The fanfic here is a PSO Episode 1 retelling, with differences and stuff added, like Vanguards, Newman Rangers, etc (if anyone considers those significant changes). I'm not throwing things in for the living heck of it. Every PSO telling I found on FanFiction was usually little more than a self-insert, and I wanted to be different in some way. Anything I add will have an explanation.

And in this story, there will be ACTION. There will be ADVENTURE. There will be COMEDY. There will be CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. There will be REFERENCES TO VARIOUS MEDIA. And there will be SOME INSANITY. There MAY be some CINNAMON ROLLS.

...here's the first chapter.

Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World, Sunshine.

Systems at full-capacity.

Rebooting...

"You...touched...saber! YOU PAY NOW!"

"WAH! I didn't mean to offend you! HONEST! PLEASE DON'T HURT ME WAH!

The Android's ocean blue eyes opened at the faint voices, and the room around her responded to the sudden activity from the previously inactive machine by lighting up. She did the Android equivalent of a sigh and stretched, the charging pod releasing its hold on her and opening, allowing her to step out into her small room. She could hear the voices increasing in volume, then they died down as the two people passed down the apartment hallway.

The Android's armour resembled a cyber-suit of some kind, which seemed to complement her slender yet strong figure. The bodysuit itself was a light green and visible via her unarmoured arms and legs, whereas her upper, middle, and lower body armour, as well as shoulder and knee pads and boots, were all dark green. Her dark green helmet had two wing-like protrusions where her ears would be, and a lime green metal plate stuck out from under the helmet, resembling hair. Her lower body armour resembled a rather long skirt that was flared with an opening along the lower front, but appeared flexible enough for her to move freely. Her shoulder pads also resembled wings slightly, and her boots also had small wing-like protrusions on the sides of the ridges, giving her a somewhat angelic appearance.

"COME FACE ME!"

"I SAID I WAS SORRY!"

Obviously, the owners of those voices came back, and the Android opened the door to her room, only to suddenly have a very frightened Human male clinging to her in well, terror, and a mad-as-all-get-out Newman female heading right for them with an ax. The Android's eyes did their equivalent of widening, and she immediately backed from the door and closed it, hearing a rather loud thud as the ax made contact with the door. Afterwards, the Newman could be heard growling and roaring in rage, before screaming, "I WILL GET YOU!" Then, the two heard her trying to claw and chew her way through the door, the ax all but forgotten.

"Cyril, what did you do?" the Android asked, looking at the young man clinging to her in annoyance. No one knew his exact age, but it was obvious by his mindset that he was very young. This did nothing to endear him to her, as he simply didn't possess the 'intelligence' she would've liked. "Um...I was just trying to wake Zero up..." Cyril replied nervously, visibly shaking.

"It is my understanding that you touched her saber?"

"Y-yes... I didn't mean to anger her! I was just wanting to hand it to her after she woke up! Honest!"

"Listen to me. You. Touched. The. Destroyer's. Saber. Don't you realize how stupid that is?"

"But I..."

"Cyril, why must you do this to yourself...?"

Cyril didn't answer, but let go of her, his green eyes staring at the door nervously. The Android looked at him carefully, and was slightly disturbed at the fact that he wasn't even in his daily attire. He was wearing his dark blue pajamas, and his night-cap which resembled a Christmas elf hat was resting atop his red-haired head. "Cyril, you do realize you have been running all over Pioneer 2 in your pajamas, correct?" she finally asked. "What about it, Harpuia?" Cyril replied, "So is Zero."

"...I find that information quite confusing. Care to elaborate?"

"You've never seen Zero's pajamas? They're pitch black, and have the phrase 'I love to destroy' in a gazillion different languages! By the way...you don't wear pajamas when you go to sleep? Isn't that armour uncomfortable? I've never quite understood how you Androids work..."

"Please, why don't we change the subject from pajamas to something far more important? Such as that psychopath 'friend' of yours, and my personal burden, who is currently trying to wreck my door -which I just finished paying for the previous repairs of, by the way- and make an end of you?"

At this point, the Newman (who was obviously Zero) cried out in distress and anger, and the door probably was sighing in relief, as something was keeping her from wrecking it. Harpuia slowly walked to the door and waved her hand in front of the 'lock', the door hissing open and revealing a very ticked off Zero gnawing on the arm of the female Android that was holding her in place.

The Android in question had green eyes which held countless attitude within them. Her hair was purple, and done up in two short, wild ponytails that were orange and purple. There was a red armour plate covering her body, with a black plate underneath, and visible at her chest. The black armour covering her arms and legs was smooth, giving a very Human-like quality, and a bright red skirt, though also armour, kept up this appearance, despite some of its 'rough' edges, such as it clearly being made of multiple plates. Her shoes were red and looked quite smooth as well. Her 'skin' lacked the suffocating grayness of Harpuia's and held a strong Human-like look to it for the most part. Overall, she looked more Human than Harpuia, period, but she was still clearly an Android.

Zero, on the other hand, had blue eyes that looked absolutely insane, as if she wanted to tear anything and everything apart. Her blonde hair was long, and looked as if it could somehow become lethal if you looked it at the wrong way. And, as Cyril had said, she was wearing pitch black pajamas that had the phrase 'I love to destroy' in plenty of different languages. She also had unnatural fangs, which were currently working on cutting into her captor's artificial skin.

"Hello there Harpuia," the other Android said in a bored tone, "Would you mind removing this...inconvenience from my arm? I can't do anything other than hold this elf from the underworld back." Harpuia sighed, and went back into her home, coming out with a cookie jar. "Zero, stop chewing on Eclipse's arm," she ordered, "It's both unhealthy and quite rude." The look in Zero's eyes showed that she had no intention whatsoever of listening.

"Seriously. Let go of her arm."

A deep growl.

"You want this cookie or not?"

An even deeper growl.

"If you let go now, I'll give you two. I promise."

Zero growled more, but removed her jaw from Eclipse's arm, not looking apologetic in the least. Harpuia sighed and gave the promised two cookies, which, thanks to Eclipse wanting to test something out, went flying through the hallway. Zero growled and ran after them, scaring anyone else who was in the hallway.

"Well, I learned something today," Eclipse muttered, "That not only is zero the absence of quantity, but Zero is also suffering from the absence of a brain. Well, a normal-functioning one, anyway." Harpuia glared at her. "Did you have to throw them?" she chastised, "I wanted to just hand them to her, then we'd lessen any damage..."

"Oh please... Destruction will happen as long Zero is in...whatever state of mind she's in. Cookies may weaken her destructive powers, but the way I see it, if she has to work for those things, that uses up some more of her energy, therefore she'll have even less energy to destroy stuff when she gets them. It's simple math."

"Whatever."

"Hey, don't be stealing my lines, m'kay?"

Harpuia only responded by sighing, and another voice joined in:

"Don't you have somewhere to go, hm?"

Harpuia gasped in surprise, Eclipse jolted slightly, and Cyril opted to scream and grab a hold of the ceiling as the pitch black Android appeared out of nowhere, having been the owner of the question. There wasn't much to her appearance. Her armour was smooth and tight-fitting, and she had a ponytail. The only different coloured armour was dark violet, and served as her gloves and boots. Her eyes were dark blue, and held little to no emotion upon her gray face. To be honest, she looked like a ninja.

"What do you want, Phantom?" Harpuia asked disdainfully. "Just what I asked," Phantom replied, her voice calm, "I believe all four of you are supposed to be meeting with the Principal, are you not? Is a trivial dispute really worth keeping him waiting?"

"W-wait! We were supposed to meet the Principal today? B-but my schedule, it...!"

"You entered the wrong date. Tomorrow is today, my friend."

"Argh! Everything's ruined! Cyril, find that psychopath, Eclipse...do whatever the heck you want. Regardless, we have to go! ARGH!"

With that, Harpuia ran screaming out into the city of Pioneer 2, causing more unrest in the apartment complex. Phantom then looked at Cyril, who was still clinging to the ceiling. "Impressive," she said bluntly, "That is the longest you've stayed on there. Been practicing?" Cyril replied rather shakily, "Uh...yeah... Can anyone help me down?"

"You can do it yourself. You're not that high. Just breathe. Relax. Allow gravity to pull you down... Just have your legs let go of the-"

Thud!

"...I believe I have once again overestimated you. Do understand, not once did I say let go completely and all at once. Patience, young one. Patience."

"I think my brain got an ouchie..."

Cyril then stood up as he rubbed his head, then ran off looking for Zero. "Wow," Eclipse muttered, "That dude has got to be the most impatient and incompetent Force I have ever seen. However, he must have some kind of spider capabilities to be able latch onto ceilings like he does." Phantom stood there for a moment. "You speak the words of someone who thinks too highly of themselves, and thinks too little of others," she stated plainly, "It would do you good to be more tactful, and learn when some things just shouldn't be said."

"So...I'm supposed to listen to some ninja samurai warrior robot who says really pompous words? Kay, understood."

"You never change..."

With that, Phantom walked off, leaving Eclipse to her devices. Placing her hands on her sides, Eclipse looked around the hallway. "It's certainly a beautiful morning!" she cried sarcastically, "I wonder if the rest of the day will be just as nice? Yeah right." She then walked to the Principal's office.

Later...

"So you're the team of Hunters I hired?" the Principal inquired, looking at the group carefully. Eclipse was standing off to the side, rather uninterested, Zero was busy gnawing on...something...whereas Cyril was adjusting his sleeping cap. Harpuia looked at the three, then to the Principal nervously. "Yes sir..." she answered with as much confidence as she could, but it came out rather weak.

"I see...hm... Well, I am Principal Tyrell..." his gaze shifted to Eclipse, "Ranger Eclipse, is it?"

Eclipse suddenly turned her attention to him. "If you want me to be, but then again, only I can be me, because only I know exactly what I'm thinking and am capable of," she answered swiftly, "Too long, didn't listen? Here's the short answer. Yes." Tyrell raised an eyebrow, but accepted the answer. "You are among the most skilled Rangers, so I've heard," he stated, "Back on Coral, your name was very well-known, and it continues to be seven years later, aboard this ship."

"That sounds about right."

"I hope you are exactly as they said."

"You doubt me?"

"We cannot be certain what Ragol will be like. None of you may be as prepared for it as we hoped, but it's a risk we have to take... Hunter Zero?"

Zero looked up from what she was gnawing on, which was revealed to be a pipe that definitely had seen better days. "It is me." she said bluntly. "You are described as aggressive and perhaps a bit...savage...but your ability is no mere accident," Tyrell said, "You are said to fear nothing, and will do everything in your power to accomplish the task at hand..."

"It is so."

"It is also well-known that you do not stay with your team, either..."

"True as well."

"All I ask is that you do, because acting on your own could cost you much... Force Cyril?"

"Right here sir!" Cyril cried enthusiastically, waving his hand. "You are not the most powerful Force," Tyrell started, "Many describe you as weak... But it seems you have been able to make up for that with your own courage and determination..."

"I'm not weak! Honest!"

"What I have read says otherwise... But I did not choose you for your power. Others would have chosen only the best in sheer power, but in the end, it means nothing if no one can hold the team together even in the most hopeless of situations. You have the heart to withstand much and encourage your team-mates, and that's why I chose you."

"...I could go with that..."

"Promise me that is true, and you won't leave a partner behind..."

"I promise!"

"And now... Vanguard Harpuia?

Harpuia felt frozen in place as Tyrell's gaze shifted to her. "I...um..." she stammered, her nervousness in overdrive and her dignity all but shattered. "I have heard you are a prototype Android," he started, as if ignoring her clear petrification, "The first hunter ever to have this class. With it, you have the abilities of a Ranger, Hunter, and Force, but are master of none..."

"T-that's true..."

"If a team-mate is unable to perform their job, you can take over until they can. You have limitless potential, so they say..."

"Y-yes..."

Tyrell's gaze then focused on all four of them, "You all have the potential to do great things..."

He then turned his gaze to the planet below.

"This is your chance to prove it."

Sord
Jul 28, 2011, 11:38 PM
Seems pretty decent, your sense of grammar is there at least. Which is more than I can say for some other people.

Only have two real criticisms.

The opening instance where we meet all the characters is the first one. Having them all unlabeled and undescribed other than "Android" (especially since you had two "Androids" referred to as such) while Zero was rampaging made it a bit more confusing to tell just what the heck was going on since name wise they were being introduced to us after the fact. It wasn't until after I read the whole thing and learned who everyone was that I could go back and reread it and understand just precisely what was going on and who was where. That kind of opening works fine in movies or comics where you can immediately see and identify everyone as separate entities, but pulling it off in text is a bit harder. Then again, I'm also sleepy and things may not be linking up right, but I'm sure there's still some credibility in that.

Second, environmental detail, there's practically none at all. We know it starts out in an apartment complex and moves on to the Principle's office, and that's about it. You should describe the surrounding details more, especially personal things like apartment space. Whatever items (or lack thereof) in someone's personal room can reflect that personality of a character. If she has a bunch of girly crap than most people will begin to peg the character as, well, girlish, possibly more on the innocent side. If the room is full of gothic crap, we can assume a dark or brooding personality. If there's nothing, perhaps they don't have strong ties to any form of materialism and are quite straightforward about the reality of things (which is a CAST like thing, but it wasn't heavily emphasized in PSO, it was more so in PSU though.) Alternatively, perhaps it could bring up something about CAST society in general (in your iteration of it) if you focused a bit more detail on the charging pod. Hell, maybe CASTs don't have anything in their rooms but choose to decorate their pods as some form of personal expression. I dunno, do what you like, but I would just suggest more detail of your character's surroundings.

Props to having humor in your dialogue and character actions. It's not really my type of humor, since I don't buy into exaggerated expressions (like Cyril literally shooting up and clinging to the ceiling in fear.) However, that's a personal taste unique to me, and not really anything against the actual writing itself. You mesh it in with the story well without it looking like you're breaking away to deliberately say "Hey, this part! It's a joke! It's funny!" In-your-face humor kinda sucks imo, but you don't seem to have that issue. The humor comes from actual dialogue and character actions, and that's a good thing.

Tyrell's intro's of everyone did come off cheesy as hell though :wacko:

Cinnamon Roll
Jul 29, 2011, 12:16 AM
Thanks. Grammar is something I take seriously, even if I make mistakes.

I understand. Describing characters correctly and at the right time has always been a challenge for me. >_> That's something I've been trying to improve.

And another good point, and also something I struggle with. It's a case of me not knowing what's enough and not enough. In this case, I now know it's too little, and I'm going to work on that to the best of my ability.

Understandable. ^^ Humour is, uh...sort of my life when it comes to writing. I can't write anything without injecting some kind of humour into it. 'Course, we have all different tastes, which is good.

Yes, I know. ^^; I was trying to keep him as in-character as possible. I am not sure whether I succeeded or failed.

Thanks for the comment. This was the type of comment I was hoping for. Now I can try to improve more easily, knowing exactly what I need to improve.

Sord
Jul 29, 2011, 07:40 PM
No problem, more than likely I'll post more if you do. About the only time I flat out reject reading something is if either A. their grammar, sentence structure, paragraph placing, etc is absolutely terrible, or B. the story starts to get ridiculously over the top in the corniest of ways (such as a character with no real reason or ability suddenly running up walls, slicing shit with kitanas and basically just facing no challenge whatsoever because they're just oh so bad ass.)

Unfortunately that's a large part of the RP base here -_- Glad to have another actual fan ficcer.

McLaughlin
Jul 29, 2011, 09:03 PM
One thing I'd add to Siyamak's advice is something I've been struggling with myself. Try not to just dump the entire character (or environment, or whatever) description on the reader at once. All that information is difficult to digest, and I found myself having to read the same paragraph more than once to get the picture.

It breaks up the flow of the narrative a bit. Try to work some of the description into the dialogue or portray it as it becomes relevant. A general picture of who you're talking about is important, but perhaps later a certain shirt gets destroyed in a battle, or a coat comes off because it's too hot out. You can take those opportunities to add some more detail. You did it a bit when Cyril described Zero's PJs, but then you restated that almost verbatim a couple paragraphs later anyway.

Not bad. I'll keep reading if you keep posting.

Cinnamon Roll
Jul 29, 2011, 09:23 PM
Thanks. I'll try to work on that as best I can. ^^

I think I've nearly finished half of Chapter 2, trying to take the advice to heart...perhaps I should rewrite the first one as well?

Also think it might be good to mention that not every chapter will involve the game's plot...there will be some filler to elaborate on the characters and setting more.

CupOfCoffee
Jul 29, 2011, 11:46 PM
I'm interested to see where this will go—I don't think it's any secret, for those that have read the story I'm currently in the process of posting, that I have a serious and probably permanent soft spot for all things Ep. 1. Retellings, reimaginings, totally screwball interpretations, it's all good by me.

I had a little trouble keeping track of who was who was who in the beginning, but I didn't think it was anything worth losing sleep over. Onward, upward!

Incidentally, have you read the real Brave New World? I tried, man, I tried. I got about halfway through it and gave up—just couldn't stomach Huxley's prose any longer. There must be people out there who get really into flowery, poetic novels, but I'm not one of them. I like a much leaner style that gets to the point and stays there.

McLaughlin
Jul 30, 2011, 06:51 AM
You made it farther than I did. I only made it about a hundred pages in before I gave up. Trying to read that gave me a headache.

Xaeris
Jul 30, 2011, 06:05 PM
First things first: you've stolen my face, doppelganger.

That aside, I'll give it to you straight up: my interest wasn't piqued by this first chapter. It's strange, because you started with a good hook. I think the reason I lost interest is because you stopped in the middle of the (small) conflict to describe the android without weaving any of the action into that paragraph. It's like the story got put on pause during the second paragraph. I'm not saying that description shouldn't be there, but, rather than describe Harupia in a void, why not describe how her skirt moves as she exits her charging capsule, or make note of her serene expression amidst the dispute?

Another thing is, I had trouble keeping track of who was who. It took three reads of the first few paragraphs for me to grasp that the Destroyer was Zero, not Harupia. This, I can explain rather easily: you don't use said tags. You don't have to use said tags. But if you don't, you need to compensate somehow in situations where multiple people are talking.

I'll be back to read the second chapter, but that's my honest assessment. I hope it's helpful.

Cinnamon Roll
Jul 30, 2011, 10:38 PM
I understand. ^^ Thanks for being helpful.

Someone mention the book Brave New World? I only read the description on Wikipedia and forgot it. Remember thinking it sounded dull, though. I mostly picked the name because I thought it worked for the fanfic, and I had no better ideas. ^^;

CupOfCoffee
Jul 30, 2011, 10:57 PM
I did find the book (the half I read, haw haw) to be pretty dull, yeah. It's a neat concept and could have been really frightening, but I found the way Huxley wrote it to be too much of a giant, continuous wink to the reader. It seemed like he couldn't believe anybody would catch on to the fact that, why yes, the world does seem to have gone quite immoral. Instead he had to point out how ridiculously sinister everything was every couple pages. What a Waldo circler.

But eh, I shouldn't say that. I haven't actually read the whole thing, and maybe it picked up at the end. There's got to be some reason it's on all the 100 best English language novels list.