PDA

View Full Version : Concerns on Global Support

Pillan
Jul 30, 2011, 11:15 AM
So, the announcement of separate world servers has been the most disappointing one that I have heard thus far as it sounds like a return to the status quo on the last seven years of PSO titles. And I would rather address it in a topic of its own.

I would like to hear what you think the announcement means for the future of the international releases of the game and perhaps find a more hopeful incite than my own.

But I will begin with my own prophecy of doom:

I suppose we are all quite aware of how the last game worked out - if I recall correctly, the Japanese version of PSU has two world severs for the PC/PS2 crowd. Then there was one server for the US/EU PC/PS2 crowd and one international server for the Xbox 360 crowd. Ignoring the semantics, I will just treat the world as an impassable server barrier created for various reasons (Microsoft licensing, language differences, or popularity).

Thus this announcement makes me think of a repeat of the PSU strategy, which ultimately fell apart due to mismanagement.

Yes, this essentially happened in all the PSO titles, but at least on Dreamcast and Game Cube I could go to a Japanese server, read a guide, and play through the quest I wanted to check out. So I would be happy to hear some form of assurance that I can at least do that again. And with the announcement of a world transfer as a future possibility, that does give some hope to free world transfer afterward.

Of course, it would be even more preferable to just have a guarantee that the international versions will be well managed, but there certainly is no need for such a press release before any other versions even have a release date.

That all said, I will definitely get both versions if they are all separated and jump ship depending on how well things go on either.

GCoffee
Jul 30, 2011, 11:18 AM
I have made up my mind already. If there won't be global support then I will playon the Japanese server. Easy as that.

Niloklives
Jul 30, 2011, 11:22 AM
The way I saw it was that while each region may have its own server, any client could connect to any server. So the American server could connect to the JP server without needing to have a separate version or an extra subscription. The only downside would be that characters are server bound.

Christmas
Jul 30, 2011, 11:30 AM
If there's no way to play in different regions with our local release, I'd seriously consider just not getting the game myself, much to the dislike of my friends and such.

I'm not too fond of the importing crowd for PSO/U, and there's other games in the future that have caught my eye. Even still, this one is my most looked forward to. I just hope it doesn't end up in the same trap as the other PS games.

With that said I'm still leaning on that you'll be able to jump between the regions, but this latest thing makes it seem less likely.

Ark22
Jul 30, 2011, 11:30 AM
CREATING MY CHARACTER IN THE JAPANESE SERVER =D! Just for general purposes

ShinMaruku
Jul 30, 2011, 11:33 AM
While I can see some disappointment on the server thing but if the game is handled well each server will be large enough. Sure there was mismanagement in the past games but is this Sonic team making it, if it is then I'd be afraid if not, then I would not worry. Also if there is a sub or not, if there is no sub and the game is properly made and balanced you will not have a problem with people playing. If there is a fee then the global server would have been a better thing to hide the massive drop in population sure to occur.

BIG OLAF
Jul 30, 2011, 11:33 AM
So, the announcement of separate world servers has been the most disappointing one that I have heard thus far as it sounds like a return to the status quo on the last seven years of PSO titles. And I would rather address it in a topic of its own.

I think you're getting the in-game "worlds" confused with regional servers. Picking which in-game server you'll be on doesn't have anything to do with where you play. In fact, it sounds like the game will have one version, and everyone will just pick whichever in-game server they want to play on, perhaps for ease of access to other people that speak their language.

Pillan
Jul 30, 2011, 11:52 AM
I think you're getting the in-game "worlds" confused with regional servers. Picking which in-game server you'll be on doesn't have anything to do with where you play. In fact, it sounds like the game will have one version, and everyone will just pick whichever in-game server they want to play on, perhaps for ease of access to other people that speak their language.

Yes, I suppose you are right. Mechanically, I see no difference between a "world" server and a "regional" server besides the language of the text files and the removal of the world selection option. That said, they could easily go with such a strategy where a world or two that everyone could opt into would have a set text file language, or even include multiple.

I just doubt it because of the way they have handled worlds and regions in the past.

Ark22
Jul 30, 2011, 11:56 AM
Well if I remembered correctly PSO had all the languages on there for the language barrier problem. Well that's what the enclosed instructions booklet told me.

BIG OLAF
Jul 30, 2011, 12:17 PM
Yes, I suppose you are right. Mechanically, I see no difference between a "world" server and a "regional" server besides the language of the text files and the removal of the world selection option. That said, they could easily go with such a strategy where a world or two that everyone could opt into would have a set text file language, or even include multiple.

I just doubt it because of the way they have handled worlds and regions in the past.

I hope they have language options in the menu, at least. It's going to aggravating if they don't. If not, then it'll be "global servers", but in Japanese only. :-x

booklets talk to you now?

Come on. You know what he meant.

Niloklives
Jul 30, 2011, 12:19 PM
Why yesh Niko. We have the technology

I swear we need to do something about the illiteracy in these forums.

It's Nilok. It's always been Nilok.

Ark22
Jul 30, 2011, 12:21 PM
Come on Niko is a cute name :D

In seriousness, I believe (and hope) that the worlds have multi language support, because I think they can pull it off. =)

Vashyron
Jul 30, 2011, 12:33 PM
Niko, my Cousin, let's go bowling! ...:wacko:

Anyway they did mention you should plan and get your friends on one server so it's pretty much shown that you choose what you want. Though this doesn't confirm they won't lock out regions. :/

If Global, hoping they will do something like Word Select so others can vaguely understand each other. :)

Kimil Adrayne
Jul 30, 2011, 12:37 PM
Always read it as Nikolives, just easier to pronounce (though I've never said it out loud, moot point).

Randomness
Jul 30, 2011, 12:37 PM

Anyway they did mention you should plan and get your friends on one server so it's pretty much shown that you choose what you want. Though this doesn't confirm they won't lock out regions. :/

If Global, hoping they will do something like Word Select so others can vaguely understand each other. :)

Google Translate? Probably more sophisticated than what PSO had... probably.

Ark22
Jul 30, 2011, 12:46 PM

Glad I'm not the only one who thought of that.

But I am pretty sure Sega stepped up there game. I mean..they had a good sonic game o.o....After what 8 years? And may have another one (Sonic Generations)

Anon_Fire
Jul 30, 2011, 01:04 PM
My guess is the in-game "world" servers may be similar to that from Final Fantasy XI.

Demon-
Jul 30, 2011, 01:13 PM
Yeah I'm thinking it's like most mmorpgs and you choose which server to play on.

Pillan
Jul 30, 2011, 01:30 PM
I would like to point out that I am pretty sure everyone is in agreement on what the world servers mean for the Japanese version and that it is essentially the general base server choice on any MMO. The real question becomes "what does that mean for the US, EU, and AU versions?"

NoiseHERO
Jul 30, 2011, 03:10 PM
Wait...

A lot of games have multiple servers, it just means that it has to support a lot of players at once.

I'm not understanding how that keeps automatically meaning "It's time to panic because we're not playing with Japanese people which means we'll inevitably be treated like crap no matter what." o_o

PALRAPPYS
Jul 30, 2011, 03:16 PM
I just hope there will be enough servers as well as the ability to switch between them at any time. I'd hate to say, "Oh sorry, can't play with you since you're on another server." I really hate that about many MMORPGs.

ARASHIKAGE
Jul 30, 2011, 03:26 PM
I just hope there will be enough servers as well as the ability to switch between them at any time. I'd hate to say, "Oh sorry, can't play with you since you're on another server." I really hate that about many MMORPGs.
It's already been confirmed, your character is linked to a server that you get to choose when you make him/her. Secluded servers, you can't switch or trade between them, if your friend ends up starting on a different server one of you will have to recreate your character just to play together.

This is quite possibly the sickest joke I've ever seen a game company pull on their community... (and I played 5 years of PSU) Unless characters level very quickly and this game doesn't have much of a grind for rare weapons.

NoiseHERO
Jul 30, 2011, 03:43 PM
This is quite possibly the sickest joke I've ever seen a game company pull on their community... (and I played 5 years of PSU) Unless characters level very quickly and this game doesn't have much of a grind for rare weapons.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!

Almost every mmo including JP PSU did this!! D<

WHY IS THIS A BIG DEAL!

Corey Blue
Jul 30, 2011, 03:49 PM
It's already been confirmed, your character is linked to a server that you get to choose when you make him/her. Secluded servers, you can't switch or trade between them, if your friend ends up starting on a different server one of you will have to recreate your character just to play together.

They did say they were considering the possibility of jumping servers.

Vashyron
Jul 30, 2011, 03:53 PM
May end up like JP PSU anyway where it had that system, but over time they actually combined them.

Demon-
Jul 30, 2011, 03:55 PM
I would like to point out that I am pretty sure everyone is in agreement on what the world servers mean for the Japanese version and that it is essentially the general base server choice on any MMO. The real question becomes "what does that mean for the US, EU, and AU versions?"

It doesn't mean anything right now until they specifically come out and announce US/EU will have separate servers.

ARASHIKAGE
Jul 30, 2011, 03:56 PM
WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!

Almost every mmo including JP PSU did this!! D<

WHY IS THIS A BIG DEAL!
My online RPG knowledge is that of PSO and PSU NA, this seems like a big deal to me, maybe once I give it a try it will feel less like a Sega dry hump.

Fayorei
Jul 30, 2011, 04:42 PM

Right. Kind of like FFXI where you picked a server to play on, but it had nothing to do with regional location. Basically, Japanese and American players playing in the same lands. I didn't like a lot about FFXI, but I enjoyed that part of it since content seemed more together.

Hopefully, this is what they mean. Otherwise, huge schism in our already smaller community in which version to play.:(

Also I hope word select comes back if this happens. My Japanese is pretty darn limited!

r00tabaga
Jul 30, 2011, 04:44 PM
I make multiple characters anyways so I'll just make one for every "world"....done/

Omega-z
Jul 30, 2011, 05:09 PM
lol it sounds more like one Global platform with alot of universes, ships, worlds, which we get to pick which one we want. but we won't get to jump to each one until later. nothing sounds that bad yet, don't jump the gun yet until we find out more about it.

Sir Green Aluminum
Jul 30, 2011, 06:23 PM
Yeah, when I saw global support I thought to myself ooh we are'nt 3rd class citizens and maybe that simultaneous global release thing caught on. But then I woke up. Looking at the lack of a US page and the fact that it's Sega of America, it looks like it's going to be the magic one year until we get the game.

Well we can always hope something similar to Demon's souls/Dark souls happens and we actually get treated like customers instead of an extra way to make a little more revenue.

Zipzo
Jul 30, 2011, 07:52 PM
While I can see some disappointment on the server thing but if the game is handled well each server will be large enough. Sure there was mismanagement in the past games but is this Sonic team making it, if it is then I'd be afraid if not, then I would not worry. Also if there is a sub or not, if there is no sub and the game is properly made and balanced you will not have a problem with people playing. If there is a fee then the global server would have been a better thing to hide the massive drop in population sure to occur.
This has already been discussed...but Sonic Team is not part of this project, although it's easy to confess that many older ST members are involved.

I think you're misinterpreting the system.

The way I read it, it's going to work like most other MMORPG's realm mechanics.

When you log in your first time, you'll have a couple "worlds" to pick from, and make characters on. Each world is a seperate entity. Once you make a character on a certain world, that character cannot move to the other worlds, but nothing is stopping you from making characters on other worlds. Online games have been doing this kinda thing for a long time, it's not like it's absolutely unheard of for PSO start doing it. You'll have to talk with your friends about what realm you want to roll on together.

NoiseHERO
Jul 30, 2011, 08:03 PM
This has already been discussed...but Sonic Team is not part of this project, although it's easy to confess that many older ST members are involved.

I think you're misinterpreting the system.

The way I read it, it's going to work like most other MMORPG's realm mechanics.

When you log in your first time, you'll have a couple "worlds" to pick from, and make characters on. Each world is a seperate entity. Once you make a character on a certain world, that character cannot move to the other worlds, but nothing is stopping you from making characters on other worlds. Online games have been doing this kinda thing for a long time, it's not like it's absolutely unheard of for PSO start doing it. You'll have to talk with your friends about what realm you want to roll on together.

I think I tried to explain this like 5 times, or something! *throws hands in the air*

They said it was like JP PSU'S "Entrances" Nothing more than two seperate servers for extra space.

It separates the players in general, but it doesn't mean anything more than that. Unless one of the servers are actually placed somewhere closer to where you live. In which you'd most likely pick the one that'd give you better ping.

Omega-z
Jul 30, 2011, 08:05 PM
Most likely SOA won't be handling the server's for the English side. Sounds more like that SOJ will handle the server and give ppl the choice to pick which world they would like to be on. Most likely to make things separate at first then combine them later for overwhelming reasons. SOJ has been taking English comments on there facebook page. It would be awesome if each world would be unique like a dark world, rappy world, water world, lava world, desert world even a Cyber world .....etc. If they did it would give them a reason to combine them over time. lol SG1 with a broken StarGate until it get's fixed. sorry for the comment.

Zipzo
Jul 30, 2011, 08:06 PM
I think I tried to explain this like 5 times, or something! *throws hands in the air*

They said it was like JP PSU'S "Entrances" Nothing more than two seperate servers for extra space.

It separates the players in general, but it doesn't mean anything more than that. Unless one of the servers are actually placed somewhere closer to where you live. In which you'd most likely pick the one that'd give you better ping.
I think what people are worried about is that the Phantasy Star population as of current is so low that separation seems unnecessary or hurtful to the community as a whole.

I believe that to be a justified concern.

Pillan
Jul 30, 2011, 08:07 PM
Actually, I would say that the popularity is very high and it is very justified to have separate servers. However, this statement only appears to be true inside Japan.

Angelo
Jul 31, 2011, 04:00 AM
Actually, I would say that the popularity is very high and it is very justified to have separate servers. However, this statement only appears to be true inside Japan.

Really? Considering that your typical online gamer has fallen to the recent 'Anti-Japan' fad, I'm very worried about this game's western release.

Malachite
Jul 31, 2011, 04:18 AM
I've never heard of that fad. Regardless, there are far more reasons to assume this game is going to come out in NA than there are reasons against it.

Justyn_Darkcrest
Jul 31, 2011, 05:34 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall SEGA ever saying that this was going to be a JP only release. Maybe I just missed it?

If you think about it logically, SEGA is a company, and a company's sole purpose is to make money. It wouldn't make any sense for them to not release this game to the rest of the world since that's just lost profit, especially considering their initial tidbit of "Global Support".

The argument of "But SEGA hates anyone not from JP" is irrelevant even if true (which I highly doubt) since regardless of their feelings toward the rest of the world, they would be more than happy to continue hating us while taking our money.

With all that in mind, it stands to reason that unless a SEGA rep goes on the record telling the world that this game will not be release outside of Japan, assuming that we're not going to see this game just just paranoia. As noted by a few other people earlier, we've seen almost every other PS title to date, and of the ones we haven't, none were major titles.

Malachite
Jul 31, 2011, 05:36 AM
No... lol it was never announced to be JP only. People are just being paranoid.

And yes, we understand Justyn. That argument has been made a thousand times.

rezakon
Jul 31, 2011, 05:48 AM
Paranoia Here We Go Again.

It'll come out, someone like me from new zealand should be more worried then NA/EU players (although I import 80% of my games these days).

Pillan
Jul 31, 2011, 08:56 AM
In case my last comment was misunderstood, I was saying that there was only reason for multiple servers inside Japan and that the series has not been popular enough to merit more than one for the entire international population since the initial release of PSU. I was in no way suggesting that this game will not be released outside of Japan.

EDIT:

Thinking more as a corporation, I certainly do agree that PSO2 is worth an international release. And I would even say it is worth enough to have a near-simultaneous international release. However, I still do not see the committed player population outside of Japan being large enough to support the international servers any more than they have in the past.

Of course, it is an equally acceptable strategy to invest the profits from Japan into the international servers, whether it be separate servers or just translating quests on the same servers. And they could use a strategy like this to aggressively increase their international market share. But I am sure they have a team looking at those numbers and will go with whichever way they think will maximize their profits.

EDIT 2:

I also just thought about a major reason for the old strategy to return - sponsorship. As you might have noticed, they seem to have trouble getting sponsors on board outside of Japan and probably would not want to deal with lawsuits generated by the Pioneer 2 KFC appearing in the US.

Powder Keg
Jul 31, 2011, 09:54 AM
LOL.

There is no way they're going to leave you "locked" into a server you choose. The population is / will be too small for that. It would be one of the dumbest things they've ever done, and a recipe for an early failure. Separating players isn't going to help a game last as the population gets smaller and smaller as the game ages.

keizeh
Jul 31, 2011, 11:07 AM
LOL.

There is no way they're going to leave you "locked" into a server you choose. The population is / will be too small for that. It would be one of the dumbest things they've ever done, and a recipe for an early failure. Separating players isn't going to help a game last as the population gets smaller and smaller as the game ages.

Lol not in Japan it isn't. The Japan population is pretty large. The west on the other hand? Well who the hell cares about those filthy gaijin <--- This is what they think

rezakon
Jul 31, 2011, 07:18 PM
Lol not in Japan it isn't. The Japan population is pretty large. The west on the other hand? Well who the hell cares about those filthy gaijin <--- This is what they think
I've been to Japan numerous times and never once been looked down upon like that. I've played FFXI, FFXIV, PSO, PSU and a few other obsucure mmorpgs with JPN players and never been looked down on like that.

It depends probably more on who you are to how they perceive you as they still have a bit of resentment of americans in general, more so now considering they owe them $804 billion dollars which they could really use right now to fix their country.

RemiusTA
Jul 31, 2011, 09:15 PM
I've never heard of that fad. Regardless, there are far more reasons to assume this game is going to come out in NA than there are reasons against it.

Not really.

Lets list them!

Why it isn't coming:

1) Phantasy Star isn't popular in the west.

2) Phantasy Star Universe isn't doing all that hot. One version is gone, the other one is of terrible quality and the fans bitch to us on a daily basis.

3) Phantasy Star Portable 2 didn't sell that well.

4) Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity wont either.

5) It being a PC game, we'll have to compete with Western PC MMOs. (LoL)

Why it is coming:

1) Every Phantasy Star Title ever released has made it to America...

...except for Phantasy Star Generations, Phantasy Star Generations 2, and Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity. I dont give a shit about infinity, but im seriously butthurt Generations was ignored.

2) The vague translation of "Global Support" was announced on the very first trailer...during the alpha.

Not to mention "Hybrid Custom Action" was also announced. Turns out, they were talking about Jumping and Attacking while jumping. (go figure japan.)

So as you can see...

Most likely SOA won't be handling the server's for the English side. Sounds more like that SOJ will handle the server and give ppl the choice to pick which world they would like to be on. Most likely to make things separate at first then combine them later for overwhelming reasons. SOJ has been taking English comments on there facebook page. It would be awesome if each world would be unique like a dark world, rappy world, water world, lava world, desert world even a Cyber world .....etc. If they did it would give them a reason to combine them over time. lol SG1 with a broken StarGate until it get's fixed. sorry for the comment.

SoA wont be managing this game because SoA does not exist anymore.

r00tabaga
Jul 31, 2011, 10:07 PM

PSPs in general did not sell well here so the fact that the portable game tanked here has more to do with Sony than the game. One of the best PSP games IMO and no one knows about it.

RemiusTA
Aug 1, 2011, 12:48 AM
PSP games are dangerous anyway due to the terrible piracy available on the system.

In fact, the only reason i even have a PSP is because my 8gb memory stick is chocked full of crap i probably shouldn't have. COUGHCOUGHCOUGHincludingpsp2COUGHCOUGHCOUGH

I LOVE how everyone is super optimistic about the game coming over here, but are complete downers for everything else. There honestly are more VALID reasons for this game to not come over here.

Jade DaBain
Aug 1, 2011, 03:28 AM
Not really.

Lets list them!

Why it isn't coming:

1) Phantasy Star isn't popular in the west.

2) Phantasy Star Universe isn't doing all that hot. One version is gone, the other one is of terrible quality and the fans bitch to us on a daily basis.

4) Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity wont either.

5) It being a PC game, we'll have to compete with Western PC MMOs. (LoL)

Why it is coming:

...except for Phantasy Star Generations, Phantasy Star Generations 2, and Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity. I dont give a shit about infinity, but im seriously butthurt Generations was ignored.

2) The vague translation of "Global Support" was announced on the very first trailer...during the alpha.

Not to mention "Hybrid Custom Action" was also announced. Turns out, they were talking about Jumping and Attacking while jumping. (go figure japan.)

So as you can see...

SoA wont be managing this game because SoA does not exist anymore.

Actually, you forgot to mention Phantasy Star Gaiden, Phantasy Star Adventure, and Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity as games not in the US and EU. Also, some mobile phone games.

Pillan
Aug 1, 2011, 03:22 PM

I would argue this one holds more weight than all the ones against it when you reduce it from Phantasy Star titles to Phantasy Star Online titles. And you can add even more when you reduce it to non-portable Phantasy Star Online titles.

That and it is a bit too early to claim PSP2 Infinity will not be released in the US. If there is no announcement by November, then you have a bit more reason to worry about PSO2 not being released outside of Japan at all.

And how well a game sells does not matter so long as it generates more sales than the effort it takes to translate said game. I would not call the lackluster success of every one of their games overseas reason enough to drop it entirely, as they are still profitable if the servers are shut down early as was done in the PSU PC case.

Also add to the reasons for it the fact that they translated the original alpha teaser into English and the fact that they are occasionally answering English questions on Facebook.

I am sure you can think of a number of reasons more against PSO2's international release, but what difference do they make if they hold little weight?