PDA

View Full Version : A mayor you can stand behind, just don't park in front of him. (NOW WITH VIDEO!)

Sord
Aug 2, 2011, 05:10 PM
Mayor runs over illegally parked car in tank

This is the incredible moment a frustrated mayor drives an armoured vehicle over a MERCEDES – for parking in a cycle lane.
http://i.imgur.com/csuz3.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/x0IeP.jpg

Arturas Zuokas, 43, took the drastic action after becoming infuriated with motorists parking their luxury cars illegally around the Lithuanian capital of Vilnius.

The flamboyant politician decided to take the novel approach of fighting illegally parked cars by driving over them in a Russian tank.

He said: ”I wanted to send a clear message that people with big and expensive cars can’t park wherever they feel like and ignore the rights of pedestrians and bike riders.

”It shows a lack of respect and won’t be tolerated. Of course, you have to have a sense of humour in my line of work and I thought this would be a way of drawing attention to the fact that the city intends to be proactive in its fight against illegal parking.”

The shocked owner of the Mercedes was photographed exiting a shop to find his German saloon destroyed by the smartly dressed civic leader.

The car was later crushed.
---------------
Written by Adrian Hearn
Source: http://swns.com/mayor-runs-over-illegally-parked-car-in-tank-021245.html

Malachite
Aug 2, 2011, 05:26 PM
Lmao! Coolest Mayor ever. Kudos to him.

Palle
Aug 2, 2011, 05:58 PM
I'm writing him in during the next SF election.

Randomness
Aug 2, 2011, 07:22 PM
Sue and impeach him. That's almost certainly illegal there.

Is this from the Onion? It almost sounds like it.

Sayara
Aug 2, 2011, 08:39 PM
MAYOR OF EARTH

Meyfei
Aug 2, 2011, 09:18 PM
is that a baby on board sign on the back of the car?

Leviathan
Aug 2, 2011, 09:39 PM
MAYOR OF MY HEART.

NoiseHERO
Aug 2, 2011, 10:32 PM
edit: Crap wait no I'm not supposed to post my actual opinion here, fuck!

Still awesome.

Sord
Aug 2, 2011, 11:06 PM
Sue and impeach him. That's almost certainly illegal there.

Is this from the Onion? It almost sounds like it.

That was my first thought too, but no, it's really real (really.) Also Huffington Post had a youtube vid in their version of the article.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-fWN0FmcIU&feature=player_embedded

Boogie Troll
Aug 2, 2011, 11:24 PM
R.
E.
K.
T.

Randomness
Aug 2, 2011, 11:59 PM
That was my first thought too, but no, it's really real (really.) Also Huffington Post had a youtube vid in their version of the article.

Wow. Well... I suppose he might be able to pay the person off as a settlement to avoid charges, but...

DAMN. That's NUTS. I wish more politicians had the balls to risk their career like that.

RenzokukenZ
Aug 3, 2011, 02:04 AM
I wonder what he'll do to jaywalkers. Set bear traps? Land mines?

yoshiblue
Aug 3, 2011, 02:13 AM
Love the reaction from the owner. J walking? Men with paddels and night sticks! Maybe snipers that launch sand bags.

Nitro Vordex
Aug 3, 2011, 02:26 AM
Haggar wishes he could be that mayor.

Sord
Aug 3, 2011, 04:34 AM
Wow. Well... I suppose he might be able to pay the person off as a settlement to avoid charges, but...

DAMN. That's NUTS. I wish more politicians had the balls to risk their career like that.

You're assuming that US law even applies here. It was in Lithuania. It's still a democratic country, but its actual laws that are in place could be very different.

Palle
Aug 3, 2011, 09:40 AM
I guess there was confirmation overnight that the event was staged. Now who will be my wrote-in mayoral candidate? Maybe the Ghost of Randy Savage... ?

RenzokukenZ
Aug 3, 2011, 10:32 AM
I guess there was confirmation overnight that the event was staged. Now who will be my wrote-in mayoral candidate? Maybe the Ghost of Randy Savage... ?

The Macho Man saved us from the Rapture, so he instantly gets my vote!

FOkyasuta
Aug 3, 2011, 11:24 AM
Dayum Europe.
[SPOILER-BOX]LIEK A BAWS[/SPOILER-BOX]

darkante
Aug 3, 2011, 12:25 PM
Haha, noticed that Erik & Mackan were on that tank.
Like 2 celebrities from Sweden. :P

I like that mayor. X)

TalHex
Aug 3, 2011, 05:08 PM
It is very real, just saw it on the news a few seconds ago

Sord
Aug 3, 2011, 05:12 PM
It was staged though, the mayor said as much. I still support the idea he's conveying though, that just 'cause you're a rich person, doesn't mean you get to be an asshole above the law.

I'd say dictators could take tips and do it for real, but I'm sure a few have already blown some up regardless :wacko: