PDA

View Full Version : Voice Chat

KoNeko1192
Aug 3, 2011, 02:17 AM
I know it's probably a stretch, since voice chat only exists in the Xbox versions of the online PS games, but ever since I moved to PSU 360, I just find it makes the game much more immersive and allows for easier communication.

Of course, with that comes the immature people, but I find it to be worth the cons. What do you guys think?

yoshiblue
Aug 3, 2011, 02:23 AM
It would be nice for everyone to use the same chatting system. If not people will most likely use various other chatting programs.

KoNeko1192
Aug 3, 2011, 02:26 AM
I agree. I just found that with PSU 360 vs. PC, the voice chat (since it was with random players and you can't really take the time to invite every single random to Teamspeak or something) allowed me to make in-game friends more easily and I feel much closer to the community as a whole because of it. It's mainly the convenience of in-game voice chat, I suppose.

Aerilas
Aug 3, 2011, 03:29 AM
If you could turn it off, maybe.

There's a great deal of people who simply don't want to speak during games. They don't want their voice to be heard, or they aren't comfortable with it, etc etc.

Still, you could run skype/TS as a secondary program.

The Last Baron
Aug 3, 2011, 03:30 AM
I Mean Voice Chat Would Be Cool, But Sometimes You Get That One Kid That You Don't Want To Hear Talk And It's Like, "Wow, Why Is This Kid Talking Again?"

To Be Honest, There Are So Many External Chat Programs That I'd Prefer To Use With People I Would Normally Play With. For Everyone Else, A Well Integrated Text System Is All That's Necessary. Besides, SEGA Can't Stop Me From Saying PORK Or Saturday If They Let Me Talk.

Malachite
Aug 3, 2011, 04:56 AM
I don't want voice chat, because it doesn't really fit in PSO, and there's waaay too many annoying people out there. Also, in my opinion, it actually breaks the immersion rather than helps it. There's many, many voice chat programs out there though, if you wanna use voice chat in PSO2.

Also, @ Baron guy... why do you type like that? lol

yoshiblue
Aug 3, 2011, 04:59 AM
Adds character maybe? Uniqueness? Or maybe its how he/she learned to type.

Miyoko
Aug 3, 2011, 05:04 AM
"Wait, are you a 12 year old boy?"

No thanks. I like keyboards.

Akaimizu
Aug 3, 2011, 05:05 AM
i remember, the worst thing about text chat was how Sega implemented it in PSU. That darn censorship way too often censored perfectly fine words and/or numbers, and you go through the trouble to type in that message only to have the entire message Fubard.

Even worse when it is a message you are sending, and you took a good long time to come up with it. No recovery, or ability to fix the falsely judged offending material, you start over. Voice chat got past that incredible annoyance so I generally used it on the 360 version.

Of course, back in PSO, I used to curse the text-only option at times because I was a force. And while there was no Voice chatting back in the day, it was still annoying to have more limited resources to organize with randoms who obviously didn't get how to work with you. However, it still worked a bit better in PSO, overall. A combination of both the increased communication options, the slower pace of PSO, and the lack of worry that any *new* thing you type may just get destroyed in the filter. I don't care how fast you type, if that filter kicks your message out, you lost valuable time.

yoshiblue
Aug 3, 2011, 05:08 AM
We have technology! The holy mute button shall smite the lips of others! Invite only chat will be a groups best friend!

Akaimizu
Aug 3, 2011, 05:12 AM
Hey. I always have said that, in the past. You know, that little simple mute and invite only chat (while they are always options) seems to always get ignored. I can probably find over a thousand folks who don't like Voice chat that simply ignore that whole function.

But since that always falls on deaf ears, I don't bother even bringing it up anymore. It's pointless. But I've yet to find a single typing aspect that beats the experience of useful folk on Voice Chat. But on slow games like MMOs with auto-combat features and stuff, typing easily gets all the work done. Then again, most of them are much better on that censorship deal than PSU. One could hope they don't repeat that in PSO2, but given they may not see anything wrong with how they did it before, there's always a good chance it could also suck. (Crosses fingers that they removed that idea from their heads) Without VC, PSU's chat would've been far worse than PSO. It was saved by VC.

Jinketsu
Aug 3, 2011, 05:45 AM
As long as it were an option I would say I'm for it - so long as it's not as low-grade as the XBox360 chat servers, otherwise most people will just stick to Vent/Skype or whatever.

Blueblur
Aug 3, 2011, 06:10 AM
An in-game voice chat option would be great.

Malachite
Aug 3, 2011, 06:16 AM
Hey. I always have said that, in the past. You know, that little simple mute and invite only chat (while they are always options) seems to always get ignored. I can probably find over a thousand folks who don't like Voice chat that simply ignore that whole function.

The fatal problem with mute is that if you mute someone, you lose vital information to what's going on just because you don't want to hear their voice. Then, you have other people talking to them, and you donno wtf they're talking about. It's all rather disorienting.

Then there's the aspect of people who don't have mics, or who don't want to talk having to type and keep up with everything, and while that isn't really 'fatal' it sure is annoying as fuck. Mic lag, people who you actually want to hear not coming through properly, etc.

I really doubt PSO2 will include voice chat.

Mike
Aug 3, 2011, 06:49 AM
An in-game voice chat option would be great.
I would expect in-game voice chat to not exist.

Malachite
Aug 3, 2011, 06:53 AM
Another thing I dislike about the idea is that, while it may be more convenient, it lowers the immersion and makes the fact that it is a 'just a game' become more apparent. Now, I'm no RP loser, but I do love a game that can suck me into its world.

Enforcer MKV
Aug 3, 2011, 07:52 AM
Another thing I dislike about the idea is that, while it may be more convenient, it lowers the immersion and makes the fact that it is a 'just a game' become more apparent. Now, I'm no RP loser, but I do love a game that can suck me into its world.

I'm just curious, but how does it break the immersion? You mean something like, for example, playing with a girl character but it really being a guy? That's the only way I can really see it breaking immersion. Plus, at least with a voice chat system, you don't have to worry about an over-zealous censor.

Now, if you have the option to turn said censor on or off, then I'd be willing to type. But I found voice chat to be a heaven-send simple because PSU had the god-awful censor.

EDIT: Actually, after reading your post a couple more times, I can kinda see where you're coming from.

But I digress - what's wrong with RP, anyway? XD

Akaimizu
Aug 3, 2011, 08:08 AM
I think the bigger problem is is how well does the game really suck you into the world? I mean, it certainly wasn't Voice chat that broke it. If Phantasy Star was any kind of consistent, these days, perhaps it would suck you into its world. But we already have many arguments against all kinds of stuff that break the atmosphere with the whole "Why can't we just represent our characters any way we like? Who cares if the outfits and other stuff are grabbed from stuff outside of this mythos?"

Sure, it worked for WoW, in which every character look and everything was WoW specific. Now of course, what we've seen of PSO2 so far, seems consistent with the look. But if they go all over with the funky anime costumes as the norm, afterwards, I think the point would be lost a bit.

Funny enough, even when the voice was distant from the character, I noticed no real issue of the immersion, because character-specific quotes for RP would usually be done in text. When someone is often typing like themselves, they already use their own voice filled with plenty of Pop-culture, and other references that are completely outside of Phantasy Star. So that's why I fail to see the point when the immersion is lost right in text. Unless the person *specifically* attempts to role-play or their regular typing behavior luckily falls into something that could be Phantasy Star specific.

I know. Heck, when I played FFXI, I was often pretty much the ONLY person with typed words that even fit as if they even belonged there. So good on you if you can possibly take most non-RP text and still feel immersed, but I certainly can't. Every MMO I've played, and there's barely a folk on this site that can say they've dabbled in more over the years, this was the issue barring few exceptions. The very early days of Everquest, and the early days of WoW RP servers.

Malachite
Aug 3, 2011, 08:39 AM
It's not about playing with girls, or about any degree of RP (I think RP is pretty damn stupid). It's more about feeling like you're actually playing in that world, with that character. When communicating through text, it feels like a part of that world(imo), regardless of whether or not they're actually speaking truly to what the world represents. However, when you bring voice into it, it tends to become a less believable atmosphere.

One way you can look at it is like watching an anime with terrible voice acting. Even if everything is done right, when you hear someone speak and it sounds like they're just some random guy who was plucked off the street (which is basically anyone online) then it tends to have a negative impact on immersion. That's how I feel about it.

There's also the fact that a large amount of people online tend to have less-than-pleasing articulatory abilities, that I personally just do not want to hear. Though, that doesn't mean I don't want to play with them, and rather than muting them completely it can easily be masked through text. However, I agree that an option to turn the censor off is very welcome, and would not cause any problems at all.

There's also the problem that most voice communication in videogames sounds like shit, whether it be the game's fault, or the person's mic.

r00tabaga
Aug 3, 2011, 08:43 AM
Agree with Malachite in that voice chat reminds you that you're NOT on Ragol. I too like to feel like I'm in the world when playing. Games like CoD are different b/c of the fact that it is more realistic.

Akaimizu
Aug 3, 2011, 09:14 AM
I also feel that communication immersion is for the birds. Text breaks it for me just as much as anything, when it goes way out of context with the onscreen action. And funny enough, the derogatory ascii pics text ranks among the most annoying thing ever in a game. But I personally would like the bigger option if it is possible. Text chat will always be around. (Though I had my doubts given PS3's certain multiplayer arcade titles that come out with no good VC or Text chat option (I'm looking at you Dead Nation, months before a better option was used.) )

Still, if you don't want it, then don't use it. But far be it to actually *force* text chat as the only option. This is PC we're talking about. Nobody doesn't have keyboards, so it's not like they can't type if they want to. The option is there, and likely people will simply do party-communication without it being simply free-for-all. It's a different thing for consoles where it's possible for people to have no keyboard allocated to it.

Malachite
Aug 3, 2011, 09:20 AM
It's kind of hard to not use it if everybody else is. Still, I really doubt they'll even include it. Vent/skype/whatever will always be around though.

Jeff86
Aug 3, 2011, 09:20 AM
I suppose having the option to use in game voice chat wouldn't hurt. I'd most likely still use steam/vent/mumble though.

Akaimizu
Aug 3, 2011, 09:32 AM
It's kind of hard to not use it if everybody else is. Still, I really doubt they'll even include it. Vent/skype/whatever will always be around though.

Difference is. Absolutely everybody playing this game is playing it with the computer, with a keyboard right in front of them. No issue of them falling back and typing something because it's conveniently there. It's quite a rarity for someone not to have a convenient keyboard on them. But obviously, the Vent/Skype option would be there, just not as convenient to set up with newly met friends you'd like to VC with. On the other hand, the best reason to leave it out is more on the server load. Keeping it to 3rd party programs means that no data communication from Sega is being used for directing voice, unless they use a 3rd party service within.

Enforcer MKV
Aug 3, 2011, 09:34 AM
It's not about playing with girls, or about any degree of RP (I think RP is pretty damn stupid). It's more about feeling like you're actually playing in that world, with that character. When communicating through text, it feels like a part of that world(imo), regardless of whether or not they're actually speaking truly to what the world represents. However, when you bring voice into it, it tends to become a less believable atmosphere.

One way you can look at it is like watching an anime with terrible voice acting. Even if everything is done right, when you hear someone speak and it sounds like they're just some random guy who was plucked off the street (which is basically anyone online) then it tends to have a negative impact on immersion. That's how I feel about it.

There's also the fact that a large amount of people online tend to have less-than-pleasing articulatory abilities, that I personally just do not want to hear. Though, that doesn't mean I don't want to play with them, and rather than muting them completely it can easily be masked through text. However, I agree that an option to turn the censor off is very welcome, and would not cause any problems at all.

There's also the problem that most voice communication in videogames sounds like shit, whether it be the game's fault, or the person's mic.

I see that - that's what I thought you were getting at (the edit in my previous post).

And I think it's funny that you want immersion, but don't like RP. I'm not hating on you or anything - I just find it funny in the ironic sense, since it seems (to me, at least) That RP is just an extension of Immersing yourself into the world.

moorebounce
Aug 3, 2011, 09:38 AM
Voice Chat is your friend. Every game after PSO on the Xbox that didn't support voice chat sucked. Didn't PSOBB have voice chat on the Sega servers? I don't know because I didn't start playing Blue Burst until I started playing it on private servers.

Enforcer MKV
Aug 3, 2011, 09:45 AM

I personally prefer it when people have a mic, but of course I'm a console gamer. And on that note, I would not hate on someone who doesn't use a mic. That's their choice. But I would at least like the option to voice chat - and, like you said, even if the game itself doesn't support chat, there are outside chat services. I just think it's easier if the game has an installed system, so no one has to worry about downloading another program that they might not be comfortable with having.

jayster
Aug 3, 2011, 10:12 AM
I love the defense "We don't want voice chat because of annoying little kids". I mean, is it really that hard to /mute? Honestly.... You'll still be able to type to people. There would most likely be a way to just turn it off all together if you don't like it. So why the hell shouldn't there be a voice chat?

Malachite
Aug 3, 2011, 11:01 AM
I see that - that's what I thought you were getting at (the edit in my previous post).

And I think it's funny that you want immersion, but don't like RP. I'm not hating on you or anything - I just find it funny in the ironic sense, since it seems (to me, at least) That RP is just an extension of Immersing yourself into the world.

I understand where you're coming from, but I think RPing takes it to a silly degree. As for your preference of a mic, I also agree... Just not in PSO. I use a mic in just about every game I play, but I don't think it suits PSO.

Voice Chat is your friend. Every game after PSO on the Xbox that didn't support voice chat sucked. Um... what? Voice Chat does not determine the quality of the game, lol. Also, no BB never had voice chat.

Enforcer MKV
Aug 3, 2011, 11:10 AM
I understand where you're coming from, but I think RPing takes it to a silly degree. As for your preference of a mic, I also agree... Just not in PSO. I use a mic in just about every game I play, but I don't think it suits PSO.

Um... what? Voice Chat does not determine the quality of the game, lol. Also, no BB never had voice chat.

Why, if you don't -Censor- my -Censor-?

.......Dear Sega.

-Censor-

From, The States.

EDIT: Shame on you, Sega. Shame. On. -Censor-

:argh:

Ark22
Aug 3, 2011, 11:32 AM
"IS THIS KID STILL TALKING?!"

That's what you will hear me say. Besides that, we should also make a PSOW group chat O: or something

Enforcer MKV
Aug 3, 2011, 11:38 AM
"IS THIS KID STILL TALKING?!"

That's what you will hear me say. Besides that, we should also make a PSOW group chat O: or something

Oh, that hurts. You wound me. XD

Ark22
Aug 3, 2011, 11:45 AM
What Enforcer was trying to say indirectly....is...that...WE SHOULD MAKE AN OFFICIAL SKYPE FOR THIS =D

Enforcer MKV
Aug 3, 2011, 11:46 AM
What Enforcer was trying to say indirectly....is...that...WE SHOULD MAKE AN OFFICIAL SKYPE FOR THIS =D

Persistant bugger, aren't you? hahaha

r00tabaga
Aug 3, 2011, 11:47 AM

Pardon me, but what my friend was really try to say is that love is blind.

Ark22
Aug 3, 2011, 11:48 AM
Sir, I am at work, tired, hungry, about to puke up Mcdonalds that I had FOR BREAKFAST! Don't try me >.>.....But yeah let's make an official skype or team speak..fire...thing whatevs

Enforcer MKV
Aug 3, 2011, 11:55 AM
Pardon me, but what my friend was really try to say is that love is blind.

lol! :lol:

KoNeko1192
Aug 3, 2011, 01:05 PM
Sir, I am at work, tired, hungry, about to puke up Mcdonalds that I had FOR BREAKFAST! Don't try me >.>.....But yeah let's make an official skype or team speak..fire...thing whatevs

I personally think this would be a great idea. For people who like to voice chat, it would be very convenient to have a PSO-W teamspeak server or xfire group or something similar.

•Col•
Aug 3, 2011, 08:17 PM
It'd be nice to have the option of voice chat. Just make it so that voice chat can only be used in parties, between party members (and other members in multi-party areas).

The lobbies could be text only.

Blueblur
Aug 3, 2011, 08:29 PM
It'd be nice to have the option of voice chat. Just make it so that voice chat can only be used in parties, between party members (and other members in multi-party areas).

The lobbies could be text only.

I didn't even think about that. Lobbies with voice chat would be terrible. :lol:

Enforcer MKV
Aug 3, 2011, 08:32 PM
I didn't even think about that. Lobbies with voice chat would be terrible. :lol:

Can't be as bad as Barrens Chat....*shivers*

Blueblur
Aug 3, 2011, 08:36 PM
Can't be as bad as Barrens Chat....*shivers*

At least that was text chat and you could always leave the channel. The horror I'm imagining is dozen kids and dudebros running around the lobby yammrring on about other games and weed over a headset. :/

Enforcer MKV
Aug 3, 2011, 08:37 PM
.....Oh, god.

You're right.

THE HORROR!!!! :-o :-o :-o

Jeff86
Aug 3, 2011, 08:50 PM
At least that was text chat and you could always leave the channel. The horror I'm imagining is dozen kids and dudebros running around the lobby yammrring on about other games and weed over a headset. :/
If they do add in game voice chat, I'd bet it would only be with friends and parties.

Blueblur
Aug 3, 2011, 09:18 PM
If they do add in game voice chat, I'd bet it would only be with friends and parties.

Agreed. It would make the most sense.

Ark22
Aug 3, 2011, 09:23 PM
Lol.....I smell conversations about the boob slider alll week..and boob contest, who has the best looking boobs.....

Sinue_v2
Aug 3, 2011, 10:25 PM
I'm not big on voice chat for many of the reasons already listed here, so I won't retread them. I will say something on it from the practicality of a gameplay perspective though. While you can certainly belt off vital information much faster, when you're playing with a game of randoms you don't have anything linking often similar sounding voices to a character model or to a name. This can make it difficult to orient support, flank enemies, or determine who's where and what they're doing in special conditions (like Bruce's Dungeon or Challenge Mode).

In a smaller party of 2-4, it's not that bad... but with PSU's 6 player parties it can cause confusion... and PSO2's multi-party meetups where a dozen players can run together at a time, it's going to be chaotic. Lighting up the name of the player who's speaking is a good idea in theory, but breaks down and becomes useless when several people talk at once, have their stereo up too loud, or breath a bit too hard on their mic.

The PSO & PSU PC/PS2 system of chat bubbles was, despite the iniquities of a typing interface on an action heavy game, was a beautifully elegant system which directly tied specific information displayed prominently with the name of who said it - and an arrow tail pointing back to their location. Being able to display the character's face helped reinforce the association with model and player name.

It was this type of chat, not just keyboard chat in general, that really helped increase the level of immersion. We're so used to that style of chat bubble from comic books, political cartoons, video games, etc, that we accept it intuitively as a representative of that actual character's speech. You don't have this with voice chat, and moreover, you don't have it with games like FFXI or WoW which also suffer a bit from the disassociation - and a lot of the immersion factor due to the segregation of players chat from character action. In my brief stint on FFXI, I never felt that I was actually communicating in a game world. It felt as though I was playing a game which had NO communication options and simply using a separate chat program... even though it was part of the game.

Alisha
Aug 4, 2011, 03:58 AM
i dont want voice chat in an official capacity for this game because it would probally mean segregated servers again.

Kent
Aug 4, 2011, 04:17 AM
Voice chat as an officially-supported in-game option has no downsides unless they decide to do it through Steam - which has pretty much the worst voice chat service you could imagine, considering that it's a delivery platform for PC games. Whose idea was it to restrict people to only using a single audio output device for both game sounds and voice? It doesn't make any sense.

Maybe Xbox Live has spoiled me by doing things right, but I think it goes without saying that voice chat is inherently better-suited to any sort of action game than text is. I'm not saying there shouldn't be text chat (that would be silly) but voice chat is kind of an obvious thing to include, now that it's feasible - especially since there's literally no bad that can come from it.

voxie
Aug 4, 2011, 08:03 AM
Hehe, imagine every time you speak your little char's avatar pops up, miming your voice..

ah that would be funny on guy players playing girl chars...!! XD Bring it on LMAO!

Poubelle
Aug 4, 2011, 08:08 AM
meh, im sick of mmos adding their own voice chat systems. i mean i guess its sort of convenient but third party ones like ventrilo, skype always seem to just work out better.

im kind of hoping NA and JP players will be playing together on the same server for this one (no voice chat) i mean even if there is.. people would probably just use vent

Ark22
Aug 4, 2011, 10:03 AM
I better buy some turtle beaches.

moorebounce
Aug 4, 2011, 10:06 AM
The kids can be annoying but I'd rather have voice chat. Once you start getting clans together unless you let one of those kids in your clan you should be good.

If voice chat was like using speech to text then I'm sure everybody wouldn't cry about the game having voice chat. The only thing worse than typing is trying to type by speech.

jayster
Aug 4, 2011, 10:22 AM
Voice chat as an officially-supported in-game option has no downsides unless they decide to do it through Steam - which has pretty much the worst voice chat service you could imagine, considering that it's a delivery platform for PC games. Whose idea was it to restrict people to only using a single audio output device for both game sounds and voice? It doesn't make any sense.

Maybe Xbox Live has spoiled me by doing things right, but I think it goes without saying that voice chat is inherently better-suited to any sort of action game than text is. I'm not saying there shouldn't be text chat (that would be silly) but voice chat is kind of an obvious thing to include, now that it's feasible - especially since there's literally no bad that can come from it.

I agree, I hate typing for any type of action game. It's just distracting and maybe others are good at it but it always requires me to stop playing while typing responses.

Malachite
Aug 4, 2011, 10:23 AM
Lol I have no problem typing in games that are far more actiony than PSO2.

jayster
Aug 4, 2011, 10:26 AM
That's good for you. What good reasons are there against voice chat though?

FOkyasuta
Aug 4, 2011, 10:29 AM
-Voice Changer
-People with a nasty*** habit to swear to much
-Foreigners
-Young Kids /w swearing problems

Anything else i missed?

Ark22
Aug 4, 2011, 10:29 AM
IF they add an official voice chat, it will turn into a dating service. PSO harmony to be exact.

jayster
Aug 4, 2011, 10:30 AM
-Voice Changer
-People with a nasty*** habit to swear to much
-Foreigners
-Young Kids /w swearing problems

Anything else i missed?

/mute problem solved and everyone else happy? Seriously, how hard is it?

I played PSU-XBOX 360 for 3-4 years and only had to mute a handful of players which happens to be a bit more work than typing /mute. Are the PC players really that bad?

Ark22
Aug 4, 2011, 10:33 AM
What if they make the muting the most horrible thing ever. I played games where you had to go through at least 5 screens to get to the mute selection screen.

jayster
Aug 4, 2011, 10:34 AM
What if they make the muting the most horrible thing ever. I played games where you had to go through at least 5 screens to get to the mute selection screen.

I think it's pretty safe to assume that they'd stick to the standard /mute feature or something as easy as right clicking their name and pressing mute.

Ark22
Aug 4, 2011, 10:35 AM
This is Sega we're talking about. But I will pray ='(

Akaimizu
Aug 4, 2011, 10:40 AM
And in no way was I even entertaining the thought of lobby voice chat. Not with all those players. It'll be an unnecessary mess. With all the speaking, and chewing up bandwidth to not understand a word of it. It's bad enough with the text spamming.

The thing that kind of kills some of the internal chat idea is the multi-party fights they're getting around to implement. That's when things enter the server bandwidth issue and I don't think it will work well for them. Cross-party chat stuff should probably be macroed with the most useful text sayings as your talks need not be too dynamically specific. And because of screen real-estate, I could imagine teams deciding on designating a Cross-chat leader so that the screen doesn't get cluttered. On the other hand, SEGA probably already thought of that (or it'll get fixed during alpha) to possibly reduce the visual head-speaking stuff to just a chat log section when teams join together.

Malachite
Aug 4, 2011, 10:48 AM
/mute problem solved and everyone else happy? Seriously, how hard is it?

I played PSU-XBOX 360 for 3-4 years and only had to mute a handful of players which happens to be a bit more work than typing /mute. Are the PC players really that bad?

If you would have read the topic, multiple people including myself stated the many reasons why it isn't good. Also, muting solves nothing, because even if someone is annoying as hell, you still need to hear them to fully understand the situation of your party.

Razelis
Aug 4, 2011, 10:56 AM
If they add voice chat say hi to "Voice chat or kick" parties... I heard they're very common on Xbox360 right now...

I wouldn't mind voice chat if I could get away without using it, but if it will hurt me with finding teams - No thanks!

Ark22
Aug 4, 2011, 11:21 AM
If you would have read the topic, multiple people including myself stated the many reasons why it isn't good. Also, muting solves nothing, because even if someone is annoying as hell, you still need to hear them to fully understand the situation of your party.

For example, the following statement is coming from a guy you muted.

"HEY GUYS LOOK A SECRET PASSAGE WAY"
:HEY GUYS I FOUND A ALT QUEST"
"HEY DOES ANYONE NEED A GOOD RARE?"
"I AM A HUNTER, WHO NEEDS A TECH DISK I CAN'T EQUIP?"
etc etc

Malachite
Aug 4, 2011, 11:39 AM
Razelis and Ark both make EXTREMELY good points.

condiments
Aug 4, 2011, 12:01 PM
I wouldn't mind if communication will be primarily through text, however voice chat is an increasingly expected feature with modern releases.

I'll probably be using skype/whatever anyways to talk to my friends while playing the game.

Enforcer MKV
Aug 4, 2011, 12:44 PM
If they add voice chat say hi to "Voice chat or kick" parties... I heard they're very common on Xbox360 right now...

I wouldn't mind voice chat if I could get away without using it, but if it will hurt me with finding teams - No thanks!

For example, the following statement is coming from a guy you muted.

"HEY GUYS LOOK A SECRET PASSAGE WAY"
:HEY GUYS I FOUND A ALT QUEST"
"HEY DOES ANYONE NEED A GOOD RARE?"
"I AM A HUNTER, WHO NEEDS A TECH DISK I CAN'T EQUIP?"
etc etc

Yes, you both make very good points, Though, for the first "quote", if everyone runs off in a completely different direction, wouldn't you follow just out of curiosity?

That being said, "chat or kicked" parties are usually more prolific during events - Though either way, it isn't right, and that was one of my few reservations I had when I said I agreed with the idea of voice chat. A very big reservation, in fact....

Malachite
Aug 4, 2011, 12:56 PM
Yes, you both make very good points, Though, for the first "quote", if everyone runs off in a completely different direction, wouldn't you follow just out of curiosity?

How are you going to follow them all if they go in separate directions? lol Kind of a case in point.

Enforcer MKV
Aug 4, 2011, 01:01 PM
How are you going to follow them all if they go in separate directions? lol Kind of a case in point.

I believe your misreading my post, or misinterpretted it. I'm saying that if everyone runs in the same direction, but I different direction than you, you're more inclined to follow the group, correct?

This could turn into a lengthy explaination.... :lol:

Akaimizu
Aug 4, 2011, 01:02 PM
Normally, the people you want to mute NEVER say anything important. It's usually mature helpful people, or someone who is 100% annoying. I almost never see anybody who is in-between those.

Malachite
Aug 4, 2011, 01:25 PM
Someone who's helpful can still be annoying as hell. I can think of a person I know, for example. He's my friend, and I know if he found something of interest to someone else in his party, that he would make it known to them. However, I never ever really want to hear him talk.

Enforcer MKV
Aug 4, 2011, 01:33 PM
Someone who's helpful can still be annoying as hell. I can think of a person I know, for example. He's my friend, and I know if he found something of interest to someone else in his party, that he would make it known to them. However, I never ever really want to hear him talk.

Lol, that's a little....harsh....XD

I still get a little kick out of it, though. :lol:

Ark22
Aug 4, 2011, 01:41 PM
Enforcer, Shin, Foyaeri(Yeah I butchered it) and I WILL BE DA BEST TEAM D=<
For example,
Me: ENFORCER ENEMY INBOUND! READY YOUR RIFLE!!
Enforcer: *zooms in with the RaCast dash and shoots rapidly*
Foy: Was that really necessary?
Shin: Yes

Enforcer MKV
Aug 4, 2011, 01:43 PM
Enforcer, Shin, Foyaeri(Yeah I butchered it) and I WILL BE DA BEST TEAM D=<
For example,
Me: ENFORCER ENEMY INBOUND! READY YOUR RIFLE!!
Enforcer: *zooms in with the RaCast dash and shoots rapidly*
Foy: Was that really necessary?
Shin: Yes

who are these mystical people you speak of? I must inspect them before the coming battle. :nerd:

Ark22
Aug 4, 2011, 01:44 PM
Lol check my friendlisten =D! Shin KAZUYADUWIDhiwah (Shin Kazuya) and Foyersuqwhdsiwu (Fayorei) . I dunno how to spell their names so..I used the Keyboards magical power to help.

Enforcer MKV
Aug 4, 2011, 01:55 PM
Alright, will do. XD

amtalx
Aug 4, 2011, 03:11 PM
Poppycock. If anything can break immersion it's a giant text bubble with someone making a stupid face and flames behind their head. Immersion is pushing the suspension of disbelief as far as possible. Since text bubbles aren't smacking me in the face when I walk down the street, nothing says "THIS IS A GAME" more.

BioWarrior
Aug 4, 2011, 03:19 PM
Poppycock. If anything can break immersion it's a giant text bubble with someone making a stupid face and flames behind their head. Immersion is pushing the suspension of disbelief as far as possible. Since text bubbles aren't smacking me in the face when I walk down the street, nothing says "THIS IS A GAME" more.

While this is true, I'd rather see that happen than a man's voice coming from a female character lol. Now THAT kills immersion.

Akaimizu
Aug 4, 2011, 03:22 PM
Not for me. One of the coolest players I know on PSU. By far. Had a low voice and played a female newman. Oddly enough, it didn't break my feeling that I'm playing PSU with friends more than seeing derogatory text Ascii in the Lobbies, and jerks trying to mistreat other players. You just can't UNSEE that. And I know, that at least 90% of you are Visual people over Audio people. The freakin Fans Works page alone proves that beyond the shadow of a doubt.

BioWarrior
Aug 4, 2011, 03:32 PM
Either way, Sega sucks at adding voice chat. Couldn't hear people half the time in PSU 360 ver. When Microsoft added xboxlive party it was a godsend. Though to be honest I love the text box system for some reason. Works better too if Sega decides to add a word select.

condiments
Aug 4, 2011, 03:41 PM
I think "immersion" works differently for everyone, but thankfully mine isn't so easily shattered. A lot of the time I spent playing PSO was next to other people playing split-screen, and I felt even more immersed because I was having fun with other people. I use to not be a big fan of voice chat, until I went off to college and used skype to keep in touch with people while playing games. Playing things like 2v2 arena WoW with my mic was some of the most intense online experiences I've had, and it took a level of coordination unachievable through text.

Although I think its much easier to soak in the ambient effects of the game without voices blaring into your ear, or heavily breathing into the mic. So I don't care either way.

Razelis
Aug 4, 2011, 03:44 PM
Another reason why I don't prefere voice chat: The cut-in chat looks so awesome! let's use it! XD

Angelo
Aug 4, 2011, 03:50 PM
Another reason why I don't prefere voice chat: The cut-in chat looks so awesome! let's use it! XD

I'd like to see cut-in chat work with voice chat. Something akin to Starfox.

KodiaX987
Aug 4, 2011, 03:53 PM
While this is true, I'd rather see that happen than a man's voice coming from a female character lol. Now THAT kills immersion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeCW_u6j8Ps

BioWarrior
Aug 4, 2011, 03:54 PM

Yes, yes, and MOAR YES. That'd be all kinds of awesome and epic. Love me some starfox.

Razelis
Aug 4, 2011, 03:54 PM

it'd be nice for built in voice over sentences you could pick from... But it'd be weird if i'd have an angry cut in face while laughing in the voice chat... or something XD

condiments
Aug 4, 2011, 03:57 PM
Yes, yes, and MOAR YES. That'd be all kinds of awesome and epic. Love me some starfox.

http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/starfox-wolf-cantletyou.jpg

Razelis
Aug 4, 2011, 04:01 PM
for example: jump to 2:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM4j2KjYcaI&feature=related

Hansha
Aug 4, 2011, 05:37 PM
I never would have thought so many people would be against voice chat for the smallest of reasons.

Annoying voices/people you don't want to hear? Most likely the annoying players would be randoms that you don't know. As such, team synergy should already be difficult, if not impossible, to implement. This means that muting them should have few consequences. If you want to be serious and have a powerful group, play with friends. If your friends are annoying to you, then maybe you should rethink your relationship with them.

Too difficult to play with other players when speaking at the same time? Nearly the same can happen with texts. If 12 people text at the same time, the screen would be filled with confusing amounts of text bubbles in the way of the action. 12 players communicating during the same time period will be chaotic no matter what. It's just that one way, you can simply speak while playing and the other way you have to stop and type or focus on reading texts. Of course, this could be remedied with text or voice chat being limited to the party of four you are in.

If the largest problem you guys can think of is the realization that female characters are being used by males, then I don't know what to say honestly.

BioWarrior
Aug 4, 2011, 06:42 PM
In general I find it easier to follow text conversations than voice. Also let's not forget when everyone wants to play their music as loud as possible so you can hear it too. Every situation I've been in though text chat is more organized than voice. Gotta take into consideration mic quality, speaker quality, connection quality, ect. So many factors can interrupt voice chat. Also text chat stores it in the log incase I do miss it.

Malachite
Aug 4, 2011, 06:46 PM
It's funny how people keep coming in here, ignoring every reason/argument given and just saying "LOL YOU GUYS CAN JUST MUTE" like it hasn't been said five thousand times already. lol

NoiseHERO
Aug 4, 2011, 07:06 PM
*yawn*

I'm only voice chatting with friends, everyone else is annoying...

If randoms get itchy about voice chat, fuck'em.

/thread

Ellrick C-63
Aug 4, 2011, 07:52 PM
Meh, Id rather use Ventrilo or Skype. With in-game voice chats you always have to be in the persons party to talk to them and it gets annoying if you want to say solo for something or PUGing. On the 360 servers I hardly use my mic just because I dont enjoy listening to someone ramble on and on.

If missions require the teamwork and are actually hard enough to the point you need the voice chat then Id be all for it. There would HAVE to be a PTT key that way I dont hear the "HOLD ON MOM IM ALMOST DONE" crap.

•Col•
Aug 4, 2011, 08:07 PM
If the largest problem you guys can think of is the realization that female characters are being used by males, then I don't know what to say honestly.

Revelation: All the people arguing against voice chat are the guys that play as female characters.

trollface.jpg

But seriously. One of the biggest arguments against voice chat is that annoying people that you muted may have given you rare weapons otherwise? REALLY?

Blueblur
Aug 4, 2011, 08:11 PM
*yawn*

If randoms get itchy about voice chat, fuck'em.

/thread

This.

BIG OLAF
Aug 4, 2011, 08:16 PM
*yawn*

I agree. I'm not too keen on the idea of people I hardly know (or don't know at all) hearing my voice. It weirds me out. When I first meet people on PSU, I usually don't speak to them for a long while (I type instead, obviously), and it would be the same for any sort of voice communication system.

Malachite
Aug 4, 2011, 08:24 PM
Awww you're shy lol :3

Ark22
Aug 4, 2011, 08:27 PM
I bet 65% of this forum is shy xD

•Col•
Aug 4, 2011, 08:39 PM
I used to be shy. Now I'm just a quiet person.

I doubt I'd use voice chat much at all, even with friends.

Malachite
Aug 4, 2011, 08:40 PM
That's what all shy people say.

Hansha
Aug 4, 2011, 08:42 PM
Revelation: All the people arguing against voice chat are the guys that play as female characters.

trollface.jpg

lol, I played with a lot of people who used female characters and didn't use voice chat.

Anyways, I love voice chat because it's the easiest way to meet new friends that you know you can have an interesting conversation with. Voice chat allows me to be myself and have real conversations with strangers and friends alike. You can share laughs instead of lols without sacrificing gameplay. Instead you improve on gameplay by having less chat bubbles on the screen and the ability to keep playing without standing still to type or bring up a shortcut. And the annoying players can be muted.

Of course voice chat has its flaws. But if I can talk like a human being should, I would take that in a heartbeat. And of course, there is always the best of both worlds: muting players you don't like and communicating with them through text while still speaking with others lol. You could also ask the people you would like to speak with if they can say what the muted person says. Should still take the amount of time as texting without even needing to stop moving your character.

Angelo
Aug 4, 2011, 08:52 PM

trollface.jpg

I'm actually inclined to believe this to some extent.

Malachite
Aug 4, 2011, 09:01 PM
I've actually never played anything seriously other than HUmar FOmar and HUcast.

and maybe a little RAmar.

Angelo
Aug 4, 2011, 09:05 PM
I've actually never played anything seriously other than HUmar FOmar and HUcast.

and maybe a little RAmar.

You act as if that's not a lot or something.

Malachite
Aug 4, 2011, 09:06 PM
...The point was that I'm arguing against voice chat and I've never played as a girl lol.

Angelo
Aug 4, 2011, 09:12 PM
...The point was that I'm arguing against voice chat and I've never played as a girl lol.

Oh, I see. I've only ever tried playing a girl in an online game once, in PSU. I made a female newman just to mess around with techs. Wasn't that fun. I'll stick to HU.

Randomness
Aug 4, 2011, 10:08 PM
Meh, in-game voice support is kind of gravy. *looks at Vent, Teamspeak, etc*

The Last Baron
Aug 4, 2011, 10:25 PM
Meh, in-game voice support is kind of gravy. *looks at Vent, Teamspeak, etc*

I Agree With This. Also To The Guy Who Said That People Who Don't Support Voice Chat Because They Rock Female Characters: I'm Gonna Rock And Talk Regardless Of Which Gender My Character Is.

Selphea
Aug 5, 2011, 12:18 AM
Voice chat = random 16 year old yelling at you for not healing him when he is standing in the middle of dragon breath.

I'll pass :3

Shye
Aug 5, 2011, 12:24 AM
That's what all shy people say.

I do the what now?

On topic: I like voice chat, it's just so much easier to coordinate-n-stuff. Having the options to use it or NOT use it would be really helpful. Having to go through a third party does get a little convoluted if everyone isn't using the same one or somesuch- so I'd rather it be implemented in-game for easier doohickey-whatsit thingy.

In the end people could still just shut it off in-game and use a third party (if that's what they want) people in-game could mute people they don't want to hear, and people who use it to use it could have it to use. It?

I even vote for voice masking back, if you used it right (AND RESPONSIBLY) it could really add to the feeling of the game. For all the people who dislike it, for added fun allow them to turn it off globally on their end. N'est–ce pas? Then they'd just hear normal talking while people were trying to sound silly.

NoGoBoard
Aug 5, 2011, 12:54 AM
I agree with Shye, in-game voice chat wouldn't hinder the game. As long as people have complete control over who they can hear and talk too it's not really a big deal.

Reksanden
Aug 5, 2011, 02:42 AM
Even if they didn't, if MODSonline supported PSO2(I doubt it), then If we had an alliance with them like we do in Eden Eternal, I'd simply use what chat system they use...

Enforcer MKV
Aug 5, 2011, 08:30 AM
While I want voice chat in the game, I have to admit that there are one or two reasons why it would be better to not include it.

First, the argument that "chat or get kicked" parties would be spawned from this. This is a legitimite concern the rose from PSU - because as the community started to decline, people did this more and more. It's especially bad during events. Now, having friends and people to run with, but sometimes, they just aren't around or are busy with other things, and honestly, it'd be nice that when that happens, you could find a party.

Two, ........Ah, phooey, I had it and then I lost it.

Akaimizu
Aug 5, 2011, 01:59 PM
I already stated the big reason why chat or get kicked wouldn't apply to the PC. The reasons? Two of them.

1. EVERYBODY on the PC has the keyboard right there. It's not Keyboard-optional like a console. You can't use a PC without a keyboard. Nuff said. And they certainly don't give PC users options to not use a keyboard to type anything in the game, like they do on console. Important stuff like character names, looking up searches, etc. Many standard functions you can't voice chat replace, in the game.

2. Is there an online co-op action RPG or RPG for PC in existence, for all the games that do have a voice chat option, that actually have "chat or get kicked" parties?
I'll answer that right now, in Monty Python fashion. A: Nearly 1.

Now I have made my cases for why certain things don't apply for PCs the same as consoles. Even predicted the potential shorter life of the PC-side of PSU, over here, before the game was out. And that was strictly based on PC-online ORPG competition, and whether SEGA would likely compete with updates against the other online games. I've been on, and seen the reasons (for myself) the cause and effect of online populations on the PC. Even know the breadth of personalities that generally get on the games. I made my case, back when people loved to attack the idea of a 360 client for PSU. Right on this site. You'd think I might know something about the situation, community, and people by now. I'm not new to this. I'm an ancient.

Malachite
Aug 5, 2011, 02:03 PM
Uh... you don't play PC games often do you? I see people get kicked ALL the time in L4D and multiple others because they don't have mics lol.

GCoffee
Aug 5, 2011, 02:05 PM
Multi-party rooms with voicechat would be a blast. OH THE POSSIBLITIEZ

Akaimizu
Aug 5, 2011, 02:16 PM
Uh... you don't play PC games often do you? I see people get kicked ALL the time in L4D and multiple others because they don't have mics lol.

And um. L4D is an Action RPG/OPRG game, correct?

You do realize that game is completely outside the genre. It's not only not that, it's also probably the number 1 game of all time that benefits the most from Voice chat. Why? Because due to the sudden shift of major (off screen, with no radar help) junk that can happen to players, for which instant communication as to where and when a party member got nabbed, you need the fastest communication possible to avoid situations which put the entire party at jeopardy. A case where the loss of one can instantly fubar your group's situation. Audio comms apply to L4D moreso than even a First Person Tactical Shooter.

Outside of that, if you get kicked from a group in an ORPG or MMO, it's not usually because you don't have voice chat. It's because that Clan you stepped into, all happens to have Voice Chat. They just forgot to lock their group down before you came in.

chibiLegolas
Aug 5, 2011, 02:20 PM
I'm not big on voice chat for many of the reasons already listed here, so I won't retread them. I will say something on it from the practicality of a gameplay perspective though. While you can certainly belt off vital information much faster, when you're playing with a game of randoms you don't have anything linking often similar sounding voices to a character model or to a name. This can make it difficult to orient support, flank enemies, or determine who's where and what they're doing in special conditions (like Bruce's Dungeon or Challenge Mode).

In a smaller party of 2-4, it's not that bad... but with PSU's 6 player parties it can cause confusion... and PSO2's multi-party meetups where a dozen players can run together at a time, it's going to be chaotic.

The PSO & PSU PC/PS2 system of chat bubbles was, despite the iniquities of a typing interface on an action heavy game, was a beautifully elegant system which directly tied specific information displayed prominently with the name of who said it - and an arrow tail pointing back to their location. Being able to display the character's face helped reinforce the association with model and player name.

I can see where you're coming from about the confusion on who's speaking ATM.
But I've often solved this by voicing my character name whenever it was relavent & gotten into a habit of it in random rooms (which I visit often). I hate it when players use "me" or "you" when they should instead address each other with their character names.
Or even worse, ppl should use "up,down,left,right". Instead, say "north, south, east, west" whenever looking for something.

I absolutely loved symbol chat from PSO days. That plus 8 saved phrases with the directional pad (PSO Xbox had it?) got me by for years. And kept me going if I felt lazy with the mic.
Yes, there's obscene things you can do with symbol chat. But I still prefer it a WHOLE LOT BETTER than PSU's face chat thingy. There's lot more diversity with symbol chat. And it was fun coming up with unique universal symbols.

If PSO2 is a global shared server game, we need sega to bring back the multi-language system again. That limited face chat they got in PSU is no where near adequate enough IMO.

I love voice chat as well. But if I wanna play with others who doesn't know english, then I need options to communicate with like early PSO days when we ALL had access to each other's servers.

Anon_Fire
Aug 5, 2011, 02:20 PM

Nope, Survival horror FPS

Akaimizu
Aug 5, 2011, 02:24 PM
I know. I was just making the point about what was read from my original comment.

Malachite
Aug 5, 2011, 02:27 PM
Why is that relevant? It's an action game that uses cooperation, just like PSO2. There's no difference in that aspect. The fact that PSO2 has 'RPG' in it's genre holds no baring in this situation, and is not going to change the minds of people who kick others for not having mics.

It's not a classic MMO. It relies heavily on action and quick cooperation, just as L4D does, and the people who kick non-mic users do so for their lack of speedy input in a cooperation situation. I don't see how the fact that it's got an RPG base changes this.

NoiseHERO
Aug 5, 2011, 02:33 PM
Hay man...

Not like I'd wanna play with anyone that's douche enough to boot people just because they think having a mic disables you from being able to hack n slash monsters that basically stand in one spot...

PSO and PSU worked just fine with keyboards.

If you wanna mic, be worthy enough for me to add you on skype/my group's vent server.

Actually...

I doubt we'll have guilds... But I kinda hope we do...

I mean we can have 12 man missions and areas anyway...

Also whats the deal with them saying "12 man AREAS" AND "12 man missions" Does that mean we'll have more than just simple lobbies and missions? possibly inbetween areas, even function better than PSU's inbetweener lobbies? @_@

BioWarrior
Aug 5, 2011, 02:37 PM
I hate when people boot non-mic users. But then again I play for fun, not trying to make the game into a job.

Vashyron
Aug 5, 2011, 02:39 PM

Wat I've heard this happens on occasion, but never had it happen to me on all my time playing it on PC. (L4D2)

condiments
Aug 5, 2011, 02:42 PM
Why is that relevant? It's an action game that uses cooperation, just like PSO2. There's no difference in that aspect. The fact that PSO2 has 'RPG' in it's genre holds no baring in this situation, and is not going to change the minds of people who kick others for not having mics.

It's not a classic MMO. It relies heavily on action and quick cooperation, just as L4D does, and the people who kick non-mic users do so for their lack of speedy input in a cooperation situation. I don't see how the fact that it's got an RPG base changes this.

I'm not on either side of this argument, but think about what you guys are saying. If you use L4D as an example as an example of a community that kicks players for not having mics, could you also say that L4D would be a BETTER co-operative experience if they didn't have the feature? A lot of good things come with pitfalls because there are quite a few assholes in the world, but that shouldn't prevent us from enjoying GOOD things. With customizable stats, comes people who bully others because they don't have the proper build, etc.

I don't think its completely necessary that voice chat will supported in game, but I'm not afraid of getting kicked out of a group of douches because I didn't conform to their expectations.

Malachite
Aug 5, 2011, 02:43 PM
Wat I've heard this happens on occasion, but never had it happen to me on all my time playing it on PC. (L4D2)
I see it happen all the time. Has happened to me when I just don't feel like plugging my mic in, on multiple occasions.

BioWarrior
Aug 5, 2011, 02:46 PM
I see it happen all the time. Has happened to me when I just don't feel like plugging my mic in, on multiple occasions.

I've had it happen even when in the one who started the game lol. Been voted out of teams I started for L4D

Vashyron
Aug 5, 2011, 02:53 PM

Alright, but even still L4D styled game does require coordination to do exceptionally well which a mic can provide, so I can understand if someone kicks if you don't use a mic at the hardest difficulty there, seeing as how something may drag you out to a place out of sight of your teammates and incap you there quickly while your helpless.

I'd say you hardly need that much coordination to do well in a game such as PSU and PSO2 if it follows suit.

Ellrick C-63
Aug 5, 2011, 02:54 PM
L4D is PvP...therefore there is no predictable AI you are playing against. A mic is necessary for that because you HAVE to communicate quickly to keep up with the change of pace. PSO2 for the most part is PvE or for all we know could only be PvE. You can type fight explainations if need be, but its pretty much "stand out of the fire", "kite x mobs", or "kill adds".

Ive played computer games for a while and Ive noticed PvP requires constant discussion about what's going on in-game while PvE we just dick around and joke in any game. And no I didnt only just play WoW.

Akaimizu
Aug 5, 2011, 02:55 PM
Believe me. L4D is nothing. And I mean, nothing to compare any action online RPG to. Even when playing PvE on L4D, the way the scenarios play out is very much like a high speed fast PvP game. It's very sudden, pace changes without warning. It's very fast. Very very fast. Faster than most PvP games. And a key player can go from awesome to oh crap in the span of a split second. There is no predictions here, just very close precautions which aren't bullet-proof. In Phantasy Star anything, a key player goes down, you have Moons or some way to recover them without having to be instant. You have plenty of chances for your party to move on and survive. Keeping your hinds together is way less important. In most cases, you'll do well without them for a bit, even in the hard difficulties. But with all the easy recovery options, that's not even a factor. Plus, they may have chipped away at the scenario enough already to finish what you started with players being incapacitated. In L4D, they don't take it easy. You lose folks, no contribution of theirs, in the past, helps you later. You don't level up, get special awesome drops, build Photon Blasts, SUVs, Beast mode, or Mirages. Or get that life-saving ability you were waiting for the cooldown for. You're in deep doo doo.

I know people try to say the same thing applies to all online games, but I will state with 100% conviction, that L4D is in a different category altogether from any PvE online RPG or action RPG experience. No comparison. I've played all kinds, across the board, and I've never seen a game with more need for high-speed communication than L4D. To effectively play without it, in tougher difficulties, is akin to trying to beat a skilled PC player (mouse and keyboard) in a fast game of Quake 3 Arena, with no auto-aim help with a PS3 controller.

condiments
Aug 5, 2011, 03:01 PM
L4D is PvP...therefore there is no predictable AI you are playing against. A mic is necessary for that because you HAVE to communicate quickly to keep up with the change of pace. PSO2 for the most part is PvE or for all we know could only be PvE. You can type fight explainations if need be, but its pretty much "stand out of the fire", "kite x mobs", or "kill adds".

Ive played computer games for a while and Ive noticed PvP requires constant discussion about what's going on in-game while PvE we just dick around and joke in any game. And no I didnt only just play WoW.

Well that depends on the difficulty of fights. A lot of endgame MMO raids practically require voice chat because the fights need such coordination that you simply can't type while pressing down your macros while getting out of an AOE effect.

If PSO PvE doesn't require much group synergy and coordination, than yes text chat would be just fine.

Ellrick C-63
Aug 5, 2011, 03:08 PM
Well that depends on the difficulty of fights. A lot of endgame MMO raids practically require voice chat because the fights need such coordination that you simply can't type while pressing down your macros while getting out of an AOE effect.

If PSO PvE doesn't require much group synergy and coordination, than yes text chat would be just fine.

It really does depend on the difficulty and how good the AI is. Most MMO raids become predictable after 1-2 times of running it though. I hope SEGA does make the game challenging enough to need voice chat, if there is pvp I will definitely be using Vent if it is team based.

KingBeeb
Aug 7, 2011, 12:31 PM
I don't want voice chat, because it doesn't really fit in PSO, and there's waaay too many annoying people out there. Also, in my opinion, it actually breaks the immersion rather than helps it. There's many, many voice chat programs out there though, if you wanna use voice chat in PSO2.

Also, @ Baron guy... why do you type like that? lol

Hahahah good lord I lolled

Malachite
Aug 7, 2011, 01:26 PM
I loll'd at the fact that there won't be any voice chat in PSO2 :3

lostinseganet
Aug 7, 2011, 03:55 PM
They are all G.I.R.L's (Guys In Real Life), and they want you to touch their boob.

Enforcer MKV
Aug 8, 2011, 08:31 AM
They are all G.I.R.L's (Guys In Real Life), and they want you to touch their boob.

wait, wha-!? O.o

Ark22
Aug 8, 2011, 08:59 AM
TOUCH'EM ENFORCER!

KodiaX987
Aug 8, 2011, 11:29 AM
If you use L4D as an example as an example of a community that kicks players for not having mics, could you also say that L4D would be a BETTER co-operative experience if they didn't have the feature?

Actually L4D would be a better co-operative experience if it didn't exist.