PDA

View Full Version : Should I play PSO2 JP or NA

Clyde
Aug 3, 2011, 11:33 AM
Quite simple, considering NA support we've seen so far, i'm thinking it might be in my best interest to instead of playing NA/EU server, (i'm assuming it would be seperate servers for japanese players and um, everyone else bc that's what how it's been so far no?) that I just attempt to play on there servers instead.

This does take into account that the menus, text, and such will be foreign to me. I don't know any japanese, not even the Romanji or w/e , but If I want to play to play this game to its fullest , I'd better learn.

Or maybe im jumping to conclusions, and should just wait till the game actually exists to decide. SEGA hasn't really had a good record in support department, but this game could turn that around.

Thoughts suggestions? Thanks.

Ark22
Aug 3, 2011, 11:35 AM
If I had to choose, JP, but hopefully it will all be one server...Just pray

Malachite
Aug 3, 2011, 11:38 AM
Yes, if you want to play a game where you can't understand a single thing, or anything anyone says(in a team based game), just because the US version risks slow updates... by all means go JP. lol

Ark22
Aug 3, 2011, 11:47 AM
Yes, if you want to play a game where you can't understand a single thing, or anything anyone says(in a team based game), just because the US version risks slow updates... by all means go JP. lol

Remember the number rule of pso, "Hit it till it dies, and DON'T GET HIT!"

BioWarrior
Aug 3, 2011, 11:48 AM
I'd have to say JP after seeing how bad PSU and PSP2 was. Most item names are the same in English and Japanese. Doesn't take too long to learn how to read Hiragana and Katakana. Think it took me about 2 weeks back when I played PSO. Much easier to learn to read it when it's always infront of you.

Enforcer MKV
Aug 3, 2011, 11:49 AM
Remember the number rule of pso, "Hit it till it dies, and DON'T GET HIT!"

I'm going to avoid the obvious sexual implications that statement has and go for something a little more tasteful. Namely;

*Trains Rifle on a Rockbear, and goes full auto.*

....There, dead.

Can I have a cookie?

Er, on topic, I'd say wait a little before making a decision. For all we know, it could be a simultaneous release, at which point, it won't matter because that means Sega will be responsible and update us in line with the Japanese.

Ark22
Aug 3, 2011, 11:49 AM
I'd have to say JP after seeing how bad PSU and PSP2 was. Most item names are the same in English and Japanese. Doesn't take too long to learn how to read Hiragana and Katakana. Think it took me about 2 weeks back when I played PSO. Much easier to learn to read it when it's always infront of you.

This is true, or you can be like me and play the matching game :P or keep trying to use the item to see if it was a PA disk xD

I'm going to avoid the obvious sexual implications that statement has and go for something a little more tasteful. Namely;

*Trains Rifle on a Rockbear, and goes full auto.*

....There, dead.

Can I have a cookie?

Why yesh, you get 2 cookies

BioWarrior
Aug 3, 2011, 11:53 AM
To be honest I'm hoping they do what PSO did on the consoles and include all languages on the client. Somehow I doubt it though. Square did it with FFXIV as well but that was a worldwide release.

Enforcer MKV
Aug 3, 2011, 11:53 AM
This is true, or you can be like me and play the matching game :P or keep trying to use the item to see if it was a PA disk xD

Why yesh, you get 2 cookies

Oh, goody. :D

Ark22
Aug 3, 2011, 11:55 AM
To be honest I'm hoping they do what PSO did on the consoles and include all languages on the client. Somehow I doubt it though. Square did it with FFXIV as well but that was a worldwide release.

Lol when I was a kid and had the GC version I set the language to Kanji and backed out to the start menu andddddddd got lost o.o Tried to set it back, took me half an hour =(...I cried to my mom because I thought it would forever remain geberrish Dx

str898mustang
Aug 3, 2011, 12:00 PM
JP of course ........unless you want to be a year or more behind updates again.

Palle
Aug 3, 2011, 12:08 PM
I recommend you start learning the nihongo now.

Totori
Aug 3, 2011, 12:12 PM
I'd say it's too early to worry about something like that, we aren't even sure if the game is going to come out this year or not.

Pirrip
Aug 3, 2011, 12:12 PM
I think that the core of your experience relies on how well you can communicate with other players. That said-- If you're playing with friends or people you meet up with ahead of time, it won't matter. But if you meet up with new people(Japanese people), and you're not interested in learning a new language seriously, it might be difficult to get the rich multiplayer experience Phantasy Star is so well known for here. You can get by and learn what all of the items and areas and monsters are in Japanese but the MMO aspect of it may be somewhat lost on you if you can't chat confidently with others.
If you're serious about learning(like, sitting with the game idle so you can flip through your dictionary to make sure you know the character or kana or word), the JP servers are the way to go--I can tell you from experience.

Ark22
Aug 3, 2011, 12:16 PM
I think that the core of your experience relies on how well you can communicate with other players. That said-- If you're playing with friends or people you meet up with ahead of time, it won't matter. But if you meet up with new people(Japanese people), and you're not interested in learning a new language seriously, it might be difficult to get the rich multiplayer experience Phantasy Star is so well known for here. You can get by and learn what all of the items and areas and monsters are in Japanese but the MMO aspect of it may be somewhat lost on you if you can't chat confidently with others.
If you're serious about learning(like, sitting with the game idle so you can flip through your dictionary to make sure you know the character or kana or word), the JP servers are the way to go--I can tell you from experience.

When I played MH3rd on the Japanese Ad-hoc party, I usually just say "..." Everytime I see *Japanese words* ARK *More Japanese words*. The only reason why was that they usually kicked me from the party because I spoke English =(

Ecchi
Aug 3, 2011, 12:25 PM
I'll probably play on both servers just now started on my lowbie cast on PsuJP to get refreshed with all those letterings again!

Demon-
Aug 3, 2011, 01:14 PM
If there will be seperate servers than JP all the way.

MasterSpark
Aug 3, 2011, 01:18 PM
If there will be seperate servers than JP all the way.

Yep, that's my view on it as well. The experience with the EU/NA servers for PSU PC/PS2 scarred enough to not want to come anywhere close to anything like it again. Besides, if the same kind of server separation becomes actuality I think there'll be enough English-speakers on the JP servers to form a little side-community to help each other get things right.

Malachite
Aug 3, 2011, 01:19 PM
I understand someone who speaks the language going to JP. Hell, if I spoke it, I would be playing on JP as well.

But as for someone who knows nothing of the language, I think it'd be totally ludicrous for them to play on a server where they can't read a single word. Especially in a game that focuses around team play. As others have pointed out, it totally defeats the purpose of an MMO style game.

ShinMaruku
Aug 3, 2011, 01:21 PM
NA. Why? Understanding is key to the experience and if you are fretting about late updates, they you need to tell Sega to get it's translation team in better working order. If it is a later release everything must be done at the release. SO when the US gets their version 1.0 it will be the same as Japan's 1.4

BioWarrior
Aug 3, 2011, 01:22 PM
I understand someone who speaks the language going to JP. Hell, if I spoke it, I would be playing on JP as well.

But as for someone who knows nothing of the language, I think it'd be totally ludicrous for them to play on a server where they can't read a single word. Especially in a game that focuses around team play. As others have pointed out, it totally defeats the purpose of an MMO style game.

Normally I'd agree. But wasn't NA/EU PSU 2 years behind in content before the PC servers shut down? Heck all the awesome DLC/Events on PSP2 never even came to the English version as well. Sega shows massive favoritism every time they separate servers.

r00tabaga
Aug 3, 2011, 01:28 PM
Maybe the 10yr Anniversary means that they are gonna do this one up right. So many pessimists here. I understand track records but I am gonna be hopeful until Sakai says otherwise.

Global Support to me means that everyone gets to enjoy one server, with simultaneous updates for everyone and international match-making.

BioWarrior
Aug 3, 2011, 01:33 PM
I'm still iffy on it since Sakai's last game had separated servers.

Oatmeal
Aug 3, 2011, 01:43 PM
If split, JP all the way. Sega has already shown me several times before that their NA team is completely incompetent either through their own faults or being treated poorly by the Japanese branch.

Learning to read the language (minus all the commonly used kanji) is hardly an overbearing task.

WiZ1988
Aug 3, 2011, 01:48 PM
Part of me wants to hope that it won't be separated servers. I would much rather play on US/EU server but if there are separate servers I will have no other choice but to play on the jp side.

NoiseHERO
Aug 3, 2011, 02:16 PM
Trolling, weaboology, paranoia, pessimism and elitism aside.

I think you should start on JP, then see if the US version is anygood (Whether that'd be shared servers and global support, or SEGA just looks like they care this time.) Then swap over if you want.

I'm sure the hype from this game, will bring a lot of support from this website to make playing a japanese game easier.

The Last Baron
Aug 3, 2011, 02:27 PM
Here's What I'm Going To Do: Wait For NA Version Unless SEGA Announces That It's JP Only. If So, I Will Play JP Version.

It's Quite Simple Really.

Vashyron
Aug 3, 2011, 02:39 PM

Except I can play well with others now in JP PSU without knowing Japanese and besides that I know exactly how the menus work and such, I'll learn the same for PSO2 in time.

It's also not like every single person there will speak Japanese solely.

And in the end I rather deal with that than deal with SOA's all around craptacular service.

The Last Baron
Aug 3, 2011, 02:43 PM
You're Right, It's Much Easier To Deal With Customer Service When They Don't Speak Your Primary Language.

uhawww
Aug 3, 2011, 02:55 PM
JP.
Knowing the language makes this an easy decision.
Though, hopefully Sega makes good on the "Global Support" bullet point

NoiseHERO
Aug 3, 2011, 03:25 PM
You're Right, It's Much Easier To Deal With Customer Service When They Don't Speak Your Primary Language.

Your borderline counter opinion trolling is starting to scare me, man. D:

Palle
Aug 3, 2011, 03:33 PM
JP.
Knowing the language makes this an easy decision.
Though, hopefully Sega makes good on the "Global Support" bullet point
I pooped my pants a little when I saw your name next to this post.

Welcome back. :wacko:

str898mustang
Aug 3, 2011, 03:53 PM

like it's any different in America? You call customer service and you talk to some dude in India

The Last Baron
Aug 3, 2011, 04:01 PM
like it's any different in America? You call customer service and you talk to some dude in India

Yeah But At Least When You Contacted SEGA America With An Issue You Would Talk To Juan. Juan Was A Pretty Cool Guy.

Vashyron
Aug 3, 2011, 04:07 PM
Juan Was A Pretty Cool Guy.

Eh Kills Sega's Rep And Doesn't Afraid Of Anything.

uhawww
Aug 3, 2011, 05:26 PM
I pooped my pants a little when I saw your name next to this post.

Welcome back. :wacko:

It's good to be back.
Even better to be remembered.
Though it looks like the bases are covered, I'd be happy to contribute once again if there's a staggered launch.

Sord
Aug 3, 2011, 05:37 PM
I might hop in on a free beta/alpha if I can meet the reqs for it and the min. specs of the game. However, I'll probably wait a few months to see how the rest of the community gauges the US release once it comes out.

Enforcer MKV
Aug 3, 2011, 08:01 PM
I say we storm Sakai's secret bunker (Yes, there is a bunker) And make sure we get a simultaneous launch, even if I have to nominate Ark, Malachite, and Michaeru to translate to get it done.

.....Wait.

RemiusTA
Aug 3, 2011, 08:03 PM
It's good to be back.
Even better to be remembered.
Though it looks like the bases are covered, I'd be happy to contribute once again if there's a staggered launch.

Welcome back, bro.

....wait who are you

Blueblur
Aug 3, 2011, 08:33 PM
I'm going to play the North American version as I know zero Japanese. :-?

Fayorei
Aug 3, 2011, 08:39 PM
I'm at a loss. I'd love to play with people in the US, since I know not everyone will get the JP version, but then I know enough Japanese to get by and could play the Japanese version that will probably last longer. Buhhhhhh

But then again, the regional stuff hasn't been announced yet, there isn't even a NA or JP release date, or a NA confirmation in general. So I have no clue what I'll do yet.

Ark22
Aug 3, 2011, 08:59 PM
Still gonna import it.........even if it is Japanese only..........I'll use google translator

Mega Ultra Chicken
Aug 3, 2011, 09:09 PM
I'd probably feel compelled to play the NA version anyway. Unless I have someone techin muh japneez, I can't read shiz-nit.

Blueblur
Aug 3, 2011, 09:15 PM
Still gonna import it.........even if it is Japanese only..........I'll use google translator

Oh my god, have fun with that. I would go insane if I tried that - alt tabbing every 10 seconds! :lol:

Ark22
Aug 3, 2011, 09:26 PM
Lmao...I may just get irritated and chuck my Laptop at the wall.

Enforcer MKV
Aug 3, 2011, 09:27 PM

Japanese to English pocket dictionary?

Blueblur
Aug 3, 2011, 09:28 PM

Japanese to English pocket dictionary?
Get the pocket dictionary and throw that instead! :lol:

Enforcer MKV
Aug 3, 2011, 09:30 PM
Get the pocket dictionary and throw that instead! :lol:

That works too. It'd be a shame to lose such an expensive piece of hardware.

Ark22
Aug 3, 2011, 09:31 PM
How about I just chuck you enforcer!

uhawww
Aug 3, 2011, 09:31 PM
Welcome back, bro.

....wait who are you

Oh, I did some translating for the news and updates for the JP launch of PSU leading up to the NA release (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87803).
It was only for a few months, so I'm kind of surprised someone remembered...

Enforcer MKV
Aug 3, 2011, 09:37 PM
How about I just chuck you enforcer!

That would be bad, for both my equalibrium and your back. It might end up looking like the HUnewearl's.

Blueblur
Aug 3, 2011, 09:38 PM
That would be bad, for both my equalibrium and your back. It might end up looking like the HUnewearl's.

Nice! :lol:

Enforcer MKV
Aug 3, 2011, 09:39 PM
Nice! :lol:

haha, I try, I try. *bow*

Ark22
Aug 3, 2011, 09:44 PM
If I could customize my gf...with a boob slider..............

Enforcer MKV
Aug 3, 2011, 09:47 PM
If I could customize my gf...with a boob slider..............

Treading dangerous water, don'tcha think? :wink:

Ark22
Aug 3, 2011, 09:53 PM
Yeah. just about. You should add me enforcer so we can team up on PSO2 D=<

unicorn
Aug 3, 2011, 09:54 PM
Importing all the way. Not even second guessing.

Ark22
Aug 3, 2011, 10:03 PM
I am gonna get the USA version...That way I can speak American to others :P

Enforcer MKV
Aug 3, 2011, 10:05 PM
I am gonna get the USA version...That way I can speak American to others :P

Can't wait to save your sorry ass with my Guntech-er, my RAcast / FOcast hybrid.

Ark22
Aug 3, 2011, 10:17 PM
I can't wait to leave you in front of a boss to get destroyed <.<

Enforcer MKV
Aug 3, 2011, 10:19 PM
I can't wait to leave you in front of a boss to get destroyed <.<

*switches to mech-guns* I will get serious. Ha! I'll take on this infection all by myself!

OOOR-YAH!

Angelo
Aug 3, 2011, 10:21 PM
If it's really this important for you, just learn katakana and scratch your way through the game.

It shouldn't take that long, I literally learned it overnight to win a bet.

Ark22
Aug 3, 2011, 10:29 PM
I know, start, help, run, let's go, get in bed with me, That's hot, dammit and where is the bathroom.

Enforcer MKV
Aug 3, 2011, 10:31 PM
I know, start, help, run, let's go, get in bed with me, That's hot, dammit and where is the bathroom.

Uh....

WiZ1988
Aug 3, 2011, 10:31 PM

Your good to go then. lol

Ark22
Aug 3, 2011, 10:35 PM
Uh....

Long story. But thanks Wiz =D

Enforcer MKV
Aug 3, 2011, 10:35 PM
Long story. But thanks Wiz =D

PM me sometime, this could be funny.

T_Esquire
Aug 4, 2011, 02:00 AM
The view that the US is going to get the short end of the stick again isn't pessimism, it's experience. I've played since the DC and we've been on Sega's hate-list since Ver.2. Every game since has released at least 9 months after the Japanese release, and it doesn't take that long to translate a game. Seeing PSO2 take forever for localization, if they even bother, is just calling it as we've seen it. Also, there's a strong chance that the servers will again be segregated. There's too much precedent for it than against it.

Vintasticvin
Aug 4, 2011, 02:14 AM
If you're worried go join Mustang and all the disgruntled JP users (if it isnt globaly linked servers) aside from that Just enjoy the game like it was meant to be.

RemiusTA
Aug 4, 2011, 02:18 AM

I wish more people were brilliant like this. Why can't everyone be brilliant like this?

Vintasticvin
Aug 4, 2011, 02:21 AM
I wish more people were brilliant like this. Why can't everyone be brilliant like this?

Wow, so briliant Im unable to comprehend its content.

The view that the US is going to get the short end of the stick again isn't pessimism, it's experience. I've played since the DC and we've been on Sega's hate-list since Ver.2. Every game since has released at least 9 months after the Japanese release, and it doesn't take that long to translate a game. Seeing PSO2 take forever for localization, if they even bother, is just calling it as we've seen it. Also, there's a strong chance that the servers will again be segregated. There's too much precedent for it than against it.

As long as you don't gripe and go on rampages I'll wuves you foreeeever and eeeeevurrrr.

Natey009
Aug 4, 2011, 02:24 AM
this topic took a turn for the weird haha

Vintasticvin
Aug 4, 2011, 02:53 AM
this topic took a turn for the weird haha

Thanks I dont do my best, I go for the kill when it comes making things better :P

KingBeeb
Aug 4, 2011, 02:59 AM
Lol when I was a kid and had the GC version I set the language to Kanji and backed out to the start menu andddddddd got lost o.o Tried to set it back, took me half an hour =(...I cried to my mom because I thought it would forever remain geberrish Dx

Ep2 came out in 2002. I was 12 when I got the GC version and then the Xbox version. If you cried you must be like... underage b&.

Blueblur
Aug 4, 2011, 07:00 AM

Wooowwwwww.

str898mustang
Aug 4, 2011, 07:07 AM
If you're worried go join Mustang and all the disgruntled JP users (if it isnt globaly linked servers) aside from that Just enjoy the game like it was meant to be.

and when the US version comes out, I dont want to see you complaining because Sega is drip feeding you content.

Natey009
Aug 4, 2011, 05:01 PM
I could never play a game in another language. I lack the patience

New_One
Aug 11, 2011, 05:22 AM
I'll probably get the EU version first to get to grips with the game (assuming it gets released), then switch to JP later to help along my learning the language.

voxie
Aug 11, 2011, 07:09 AM
Fingers crossed for cross-server play!!!! :D

Rizen
Aug 11, 2011, 10:01 AM
To be honest...I don't think JP is as willing to play with us as we are willing to play with them. This is coming from playing multiple MMOs across different countries. I mean they accept us on their servers when we do play JP version, but if it was cross-server, I think that there will be a very defined separation between the two populations....

*has flashbacks of JP ONRY groups in FFXI*

Oh, but to answer the original question, go where your friends are going to play. If its JP, you will still enjoy it even though you may not understand everything. Just learn basic katakana and romanji and you will be fine.

Anon_Fire
Aug 11, 2011, 11:03 AM
Fingers crossed for cross-server play!!!! :D

Cross-region, you mean

Mag-X
Aug 11, 2011, 12:17 PM
I'll start on the Japanese version, then switch to the US version when that comes out. ...and then go back to the Japanese version when Sega of America inevitably screws up the US version and shuts it down after six months.

WiZ1988
Aug 11, 2011, 01:12 PM
I'll start on the Japanese version, then switch to the US version when that comes out. ...and then go back to the Japanese version when Sega of America inevitably screws up the US version and shuts it down after six months.

Same here.