PDA

View Full Version : Challenges and PvP?

Ceipe
Aug 8, 2011, 04:19 PM
Hey there guys, I've been reading up on the news about PSO2, everything looks awesome, it seems they learned a lot from PSZ, PSP and PSU. However one of my favorite features back on Ep 1 & 2 was the challenge mode, has there been any news on this?

And has been pvp been confirmed?

Tetsaru
Aug 8, 2011, 04:26 PM
No challenge mode or any forms of PvP, as far as I know right now, but there's still a possibility. The game's barely in Alpha stages, after all.

Also, I believe there was already a PvP-related thread posted here somewhere...

*EDIT* Found it. (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188899)

ShadowDragon28
Aug 8, 2011, 04:28 PM
No, no news on these at all.
I do hope there is some form of Challenge Mode in PSO2. PVP/Battle mode I really could not care less for.

I will be happy if Sakai Team will at least give us consistant updates and new content, such as fun and interesting quests/special missions, C-Mode, special holiday events, patches to improve the game functions, new areas, special shops, mini-games, similar to all those things that was in PSO ~ PSOBB.... I *pray* these are not constantly delayed.. etc...

Kent
Aug 8, 2011, 04:57 PM
I'm really hoping for Challenge Mode, personally.

It was one of the most fun experiences to be had in PSO. Everyone's on even ground equipment-wise (meaning, none of anyone having to deal with severe cases of people giving their new characters a MAG from a much higher-level character, or equipment that a character of the current level has no business actually using, etc.), and the levels are designed in a way that not only encourages, but downright necessitates teamwork. At the same time, mastery over the combat mechanics is also required to get both a good time and to have everyone survive in the first place, meaning that skill and actual tactics are needed, as well.

It posed a very nice contrast between the standard gameplay mode in PSO, where players could afford to be a bit more casual in their sessions. The amount of finesse needed to complete Challenge Mode with a high rank ended up being a ranking to be proud of, and if nothing else, it could serve as something to show one's competence in teamwork.

Battle mode, or any other form of PvP... I really don't care about, but I've never been a fan of random PvP modes in otherwise highly-PvE-oriented games.

uhawww
Aug 8, 2011, 05:08 PM
If any precedent was set by devs adding exclusive infrastructure into PSPo2i for challenge modes, then I think we can probably expect some C-mode action down the line. Not necessarily at launch, but it seems like it will make a comeback.

Rizen
Aug 8, 2011, 05:11 PM
Yes! Challenge Mode needs to exist again. PSPo2 had pseudo challenge mode missions, but nothing compared to the real thing. Every was a level playing field, didn't have to worry about grinding for equipment or levels, true teamwork, completing puzzles, scavenging for equipment and items, and managing supplies...if only I had someone to play with now...:(

As far as PvP, I wouldn't mind it, nor would I miss it if it wasn't in. As long as it is structured PvP that is along the lines of competing to complete an objective while hindering opponent, I think it should be fine and no real harm can come from it. Also, the most obvious PvP mode there could be without altering any mechanics is the typical deathmatch in shooting games. C'mon people, I know each and everyone one of you are going to want to aim and shoot at your friends with a rifle. Why not have some sport with it?

Ark22
Aug 8, 2011, 08:45 PM
Challenge mode separates the good players from the Beast players.

Mike
Aug 8, 2011, 08:52 PM
Yes! Challenge Mode needs to exist again. PSPo2 had pseudo challenge mode missions, but nothing compared to the real thing.
Pseudo? Portable 2's challenge mode was challenge mode.

StriderTuna
Aug 8, 2011, 10:59 PM
I'd rather not see PvP as it brings out the worse in people and tends to create overspecialized builds.

Zipzo
Aug 9, 2011, 02:42 AM
Yes! Challenge Mode needs to exist again. PSPo2 had pseudo challenge mode missions, but nothing compared to the real thing.How was PSPo2's challenge mode a pseudo challenge mode? What about it wasn't exactly what Challenge mode is?

RemiusTA
Aug 9, 2011, 09:16 AM
I know where this is going to end up, so im just going to leave before the irrational comments start popping up...

Rizen
Aug 9, 2011, 09:24 AM
Pseudo? Portable 2's challenge mode was challenge mode.

How was PSPo2's challenge mode a pseudo challenge mode? What about it wasn't exactly what Challenge mode is?

I was referring to the co-op missions that were similar to challenge mode. Look at the wording of the statement. I didn't know there was an actual challenge mode in the game probably do to my lack of understand of japanese. I ported over to JP for PSPo2i shortly after getting PSPo2.

Anyway, sorry for any misunderstandings.

Aerilas
Aug 9, 2011, 09:54 AM
Challenge mode separates the good players from the Beast players.

Which are the beast players? Lol

I only play cmode.

Anyway, as I'm quite the pessimist, there might be a possibility it's not going to come in the original game. But good news probably is that if they don't give it, they'll probably release it in a 2nd expansion like AOTI.

Either way, PSO isn't PSO without Challenge Mode. It'll be there

But, I'm a huge The biggest fan of cmode, so i'm crossing my fingers badly.

Ceipe
Aug 9, 2011, 10:27 AM
Well the PvP was mainly more of a curiosity issue. I loved cmode as much as the everyone who has posted, mainly because of the reasons stated

1) It put everyone in an equal footing
2) Its a great way to get people into the game and mechanics (because of point 1)
3) It was just awesome for some nice torunys and party play

So, like everyone here said, fingers and toes crossed.

RemiusTA
Aug 9, 2011, 11:16 AM
I liked challenge mode because it was what truely made PSO feel somewhat like a traditional RPG. It also forced you to cooperate with your teammates, share, make decisions/sacrifices; pretty much everything an MMO strives to achieve, but falls short due to the simplistic nature of their design.

Also, it had fun little puzzles and obstacles and whatnot you found nowhere else in the game.

When me and my buddies used to Splitscreen Cmode, i'd always kind of view it as the "true" story mode. But honestly we never got past de rol le.

If they're going to make some kind of competitive modes, then it definitely should be catered to such a thing. I dont think Challenge Mode fits that very well because in PSO the drops and everything were randomized to keep the difficulty.

Ark22
Aug 9, 2011, 12:33 PM
The reason why Cmode determines if you are good or not because everyone starts out with nothing and it takes pure skill to not die and stay alive. Because I know people like to make excuses saying their armor is to low or their weapon sucks. ETC

NoiseHERO
Aug 9, 2011, 02:21 PM
True story...

If everyone's level 50 and they only have a few choices in neutral weapons and you're fighting a time limit.

The REAL "pros"(or at least skilled people and strategist) start to show face.

As for PVP, I want it, just not in an important enough form that would affect the community in any way( which in another thread me and remius failed to explain for about 20 pages while people irrationally argued the same mostly irrelevant points to us over and over.)

Enforcer MKV
Aug 9, 2011, 07:58 PM
True story...

If everyone's level 50 and they only have a few choices in neutral weapons and you're fighting a time limit.

The REAL "pros"(or at least skilled people and strategist) start to show face.

As for PVP, I want it, just not in an important enough form that would affect the community in any way( which in another thread me and remius failed to explain for about 20 pages while people irrationally argued the same mostly irrelevant points to us over and over.)

Hey, I've seen that scene before!

Randomness
Aug 9, 2011, 08:59 PM
If they're going to make some kind of competitive modes, then it definitely should be catered to such a thing. I dont think Challenge Mode fits that very well because in PSO the drops and everything were randomized to keep the difficulty.

Actually, PSO's challenge mode had numerous fixed drops. The quality was random, but not the drop. (This applies mainly to boxes)

I would like challenge mode. I remember trying to evade Gal Gryphon like my life depended on it (It did-I was running FOnewearl that time!). Thankfully I had played the boss enough normally to know about his cheaper attacks...

Sord
Aug 9, 2011, 09:07 PM
Would be nice to see a Challenge mode, but if it's anything like the previous, they'd need the majority of the game and levels there to create one. Since the trend seems to be release only some content early on and add to it later, I wouldn't expect cmode for awhile. Possibly in beta, but I'm honestly guessing after launch.

Ark22
Aug 10, 2011, 01:30 PM
My "Shit's about to go down" senses are tingling.

Anyway, PVP in pso....I dunno...I mean it will be fun, just annoying when it comes to lag...and I hope not like PSP2 annoying...God the spear....

RemiusTA
Aug 10, 2011, 02:53 PM
Actually, PSO's challenge mode had numerous fixed drops. The quality was random, but not the drop. (This applies mainly to boxes)

I would like challenge mode. I remember trying to evade Gal Gryphon like my life depended on it (It did-I was running FOnewearl that time!). Thankfully I had played the boss enough normally to know about his cheaper attacks...

PSO's bosses were great because of that aspect. Being able to block absolutely everything is very overrated -- sometimes you should be forced to dodge things.

IMO that's why PSO's bosses were so much better than PSUs. Aside from them simply being DESIGNED better, the battle system in PSO forced you to focus on more than just attacking.

Sord
Aug 10, 2011, 03:02 PM
PSO's bosses were great because of that aspect. Being able to block absolutely everything is very overrated -- sometimes you should be forced to dodge things.

IMO that's why PSO's bosses were so much better than PSUs. Aside from them simply being DESIGNED better, the battle system in PSO forced you to focus on more than just attacking.

It sucked though if you had massive dodge in PSO but wound up getting locked into it from to many enemies attacking. Didn't happen to me much because I mostly played defense, not evade, but if was funny to watch happen to others. Though I guess you could argue it as a form of tanking.

Ark22
Aug 10, 2011, 03:31 PM
Perfect blocking ruined the game.

Dongra
Aug 10, 2011, 03:31 PM
I think when he used the word dodge, he meant manually evading rather than relying on the evade stat.

Zyrusticae
Aug 10, 2011, 04:11 PM
Perfect blocking is indeed rather silly. I don't think anyone can argue in favor of it.

But really, it only existed in PSP2 because they added it in after the fact, rather than implemented it as a core feature. It should be quite a bit different in PSO2, especially considering they also have jumping in the game from the get-go.

Tetsaru
Aug 10, 2011, 04:40 PM
There hasn't really been a tank-like class in PSO/PSU to my knowledge, so in terms of blocking or guarding/evading attacks...

Just give players a "guard" button they can hold to raise a shield, or put their weapon in a parrying position, or hold up their arms if they're unarmed/using gauntlets, etc. Then, depending on what you're using to guard with, you either take reduced damage, or negate the damage, and it would also affect how fast you move while guarding (for example, carrying a large shield would provide the most protection, but make you very slow). However, it would only work against frontal attacks, so you would still have to aim in the proper direction. That, and certain enemy attacks simply can't be guarded against, and must be physically dodged (as in run or gtfo of the way) instead. Later on, as you level up though, you might could gain abilities or equipment that allow you to guard in all directions, or move faster while guarding, attack with your shield, etc. You could have your DFP or other stats influence these things as well.

I'm pretty sure I saw dodge-rolling in some of the PSO2 videos, but perhaps your gear and stats could affect this too. A HUnewearl would obviously be very good at dodging, due to "better reflexes" that come with the race and lighter equipment, but a big heavy RAcast might have trouble unless he uses some sort of jet-booster parts or something. Your EVP stat would still affect when enemies miss you, but I think the blocking animation should only show up when you're using your guard move, as mentioned above. If you dodge a move using your EVP stat, I'd prefer to see characters do some sort of reactionary animation, such as ducking, leaning, or sidestepping away from the attack, but still be able to move around freely. And again, some enemy attacks you'll just have to stay away from, and not rely on your EVP stat (Megid dodgeball, anyone?).

•Col•
Aug 10, 2011, 08:13 PM
Perfect blocking is in PSO2.

Deal with it.

EDIT: I should clarify that it probably won't act the same though, lol.

StriderTuna
Aug 10, 2011, 08:55 PM
Well some setups raise eva so high they might as well not bother rolling out of the way. In PSZ, I had to roll a nice deal as A) a quick evade and B) using some of the invinciblity frames to help avoid things. Sure there's a shield weapon, but it's no good if you can't access it quickly from using a normal weapon.

Arkios
Aug 13, 2011, 03:02 AM
I hope they keep Battle Mode out of this. It's too difficult to balance PVP aspects with PVE aspects of abilities, weapons, classes, etc.

Stezan
Aug 13, 2011, 04:35 AM
Challenge Mode is a must. It just adds a whole new level of cooperation and depth to the game. Sad Fact: Me and my two local PSO friends made it to the last level of Ep.1 C-mode without finishing, using only Casts.

An easier way to balance PvP and PvE is to have two different damage formulas for the two different modes. Basically, your attacks and abilities affect monsters differently than they do people. I would say build the game around PvE obviously, but then work to alter those mechanics for a PvP mode.

I think a cool way to implement 'PvP' is through the MultiTeam areas. Basically if a mission doesn't require 2/3/4 teams, then there is an option to grant whichever team completes the mission fastest/best/etc better rewards (money exp) rather than join forces for lesser equal rewards for both teams. Then you can have competitive PvE w/o even worrying about creating a direct PvP mechanic. Lobbies could be designated for Co-op teams or Competitive teams, so if you want to avoid the Risk.v.Reward scenario, you could. Obviously missions requiring Cross-party teamwork would be excluded from this mechanic.

(though I also think it'd be cool to be able to attack the opposing teams in this scenario making for a frantic PvEvP fight)

voxie
Aug 13, 2011, 10:21 AM
I'm all for PvP as long as it's not lagaholic like in the PSO1 days.... *shhudder*

I remember slashing through someone, only to have myself explode and die 2 seconds later... it was frustrating!