PDA

View Full Version : Class leveling only?

Hatrix
Aug 8, 2011, 04:57 PM
I read this somewhere:

"Characters levels will no longer level up. Instead, PSO2 will feature a class-leveling system whereby you unlock class skills as you level."

Seth Astra
Aug 8, 2011, 05:00 PM
Yes. I'm going with someone else's guess that it'll be something like FFXI. Basically, you'll level as normal, but each character'd have a separate level for each class. So, rather than a character level and a class level, you'd have your class level that'd act like your character level.

Hotobu
Aug 8, 2011, 05:05 PM
It would be nice if they included some sort of cross leveling feature. i.e. if you're a hunter and you kill something with a gun you get that EXP for your current class and some percentage of it goes to that character's Ranger class. It seems a bit silly to max out one class with a character and then when going to the next everything starts completely from scratch.

Pik
Aug 8, 2011, 05:11 PM
Why would that be silly? It allows to get the most from the game with one character. As a side note, games using this system usually offer bonuses to people for lvling a class, like FFXI with their sub job system etc.

Powder Keg
Aug 8, 2011, 05:13 PM
Kind of like how the new Tactics Ogre works. Instead of individual unit leveling, it's all based on the class.

It'll be a lot more leveling per character if you plan on using multiple....

uhawww
Aug 8, 2011, 05:16 PM
If it indeed turns out like FFXI, which every explanation thus far seems to be tilting towards, then I think this will be a better way to handle things than having unbalanced parallel experience and ranking systems like in PSU/PSPo (Main level and class rank).

Zipzo
Aug 8, 2011, 05:26 PM
Yes. I'm going with someone else's guess that it'll be something like FFXI. Basically, you'll level as normal, but each character'd have a separate level for each class. So, rather than a character level and a class level, you'd have your class level that'd act like your character level.Except the FFXI explanation doesn't work because FFXI does indeed have a character level in addition to the class levels.

So no, it's nothing like FFXI.

Pik
Aug 8, 2011, 05:34 PM
Except the FFXI explanation doesn't work because FFXI does indeed have a character level in addition to the class levels.

You are wrong. FFXI has class levels only.

Seth Astra
Aug 8, 2011, 05:35 PM
@Drayk: Really? I've done a lot of reading into that game, and I have found no indication of the sort.

Can someone confirm which one of us is correct?

uhawww
Aug 8, 2011, 05:35 PM
Except the FFXI explanation doesn't work because FFXI does indeed have a character level in addition to the class levels.

No, XI only has individual class levels.
XIV has both Physical levels and class/job ranks (a la FF Tactics), though they are going to abolish physical levels in the near future and make the experience system a bit more analog to XI.

Randomness
Aug 8, 2011, 05:54 PM
No, XI only has individual class levels.
XIV has both Physical levels and class/job ranks (a la FF Tactics), though they are going to abolish physical levels in the near future and make the experience system a bit more analog to XI.

^The parallel levels were a pain anyways. Having to go in against stronger foes each new job you leveled was annoying.

BioWarrior
Aug 8, 2011, 06:01 PM
^The parallel levels were a pain anyways. Having to go in against stronger foes each new job you leveled was annoying.

Physical level NEVER effected SP gains though. Eventually even EXP for physical level was based solely on class rank too.

As far as PSO2 goes though I welcome this.

Randomness
Aug 8, 2011, 06:27 PM
Physical level NEVER effected SP gains though. Eventually even EXP for physical level was based solely on class rank too.

As far as PSO2 goes though I welcome this.

Meh, might have just been the weakest stuff stopped being worth anything so fast. Or the SP system being retarded (In that it was random at all)

BioWarrior
Aug 8, 2011, 07:16 PM
The random SP system was best in closed beta 3. Open/retail messed it up and they made the chance to earn SP drop by 50% at rank 20 in retail and again at 35. I do like class leveling for PSO2 though. I hate switching classes and instantly being overpowered.

Zipzo
Aug 9, 2011, 02:38 AM
I think I was referring to FFXIV, therefore irrelevant post of mine.

There's too many final fantasies and I'm tired of having to remember all the roman numerals.

Pillan
Aug 9, 2011, 07:02 AM
The class level only system sounds more like classic PSO to me than anything else. As, if you recall, to switch from one class to another (HUmar to FOmar), you did have to start a new character from level 1. This seems like a return to that dynamic, without all the annoyances of logging out and back in to switch characters and transferring all your items.

EDIT:

And with the class level only system, you don't have to deal with the severe disadvantage that creating another character had in PSU/PSP2. A higher character level in PSU/P2 meant that you could gain the same class levels faster and, in PSP2, you could transfer the useful abilities cross-class. This game removes both of those factors, so now there is little advantage to making one character that can do it all.

yoshiblue
Aug 9, 2011, 09:15 AM
Who knew I would guess it right? Although I did say FFII until someone said basically FFXI. I love the Tactic series so I wouldn't mind parallel leveling.

Enforcer MKV
Aug 9, 2011, 11:05 AM
Plus, if you DO decide to level all three classes up, it basically means you have more play time involved, you have a goal, and you're doing it on a character that (in my case, at least) you care for on some level.

I don't know about everyone else, but I do care about my characters on a certain level. I basically write fanfiction (well, not that it's ever shown anywhere.) and each of my characters has a personality, likes, dislikes, etc.

Reksanden
Aug 9, 2011, 11:15 AM
The random SP system was best in closed beta 3. Open/retail messed it up and they made the chance to earn SP drop by 50% at rank 20 in retail and again at 35. I do like class leveling for PSO2 though. I hate switching classes and instantly being overpowered.

Last part sounds like Eden Eternal, where you can change your class at any time. However, your chars cannot be op because of the fact that even when you manage to unlock one of the higher tier classes, you'd need to stay in the same level areas to level, as they block exp from enemies 5 levels lower than you.

Masterflower
Aug 9, 2011, 05:12 PM
Yes Sega, go to SE and ask advice on how a MMO should be run. Before someone comes in and says XIV, SE learned from their mistake. If it ain't broken, don't fix it. >_>;

ShinMaruku
Aug 9, 2011, 05:30 PM
SE made FF13 they don't learn shit. XD

StriderTuna
Aug 9, 2011, 06:43 PM
Oy oy is taking pot shots at FFXIII that fashionable?

Malachite
Aug 9, 2011, 07:49 PM
Why wouldn't it be fashionable to take shots at a terrible game?

StriderTuna
Aug 9, 2011, 07:56 PM
Because folks are more prone to calling it terrible just because it's a Final Fantasy (If it was say a Tri-Ace or Tales game, people might have let FFXIII's flaws slide, considering how in many ways, it takes pages out of their books)

But back on topic, I see no problem with purely class leveling as it's simpler in many ways.

NoiseHERO
Aug 9, 2011, 07:57 PM
I heard it was an okay movie so...

Deal with it!

(Psht, yeah right, as if Japanese people can write good stories after 2005. We all know they're just talking about the shiny special effects when people say final fantasy has a "good story")

Of course all that is completely out of context.

Enforcer MKV
Aug 9, 2011, 08:00 PM
Meh, I'll just play Champions Online while I wait for PSO2. Then see if it's good. If it is (I'm leaning towards is, at this point...[please!]) I'll pick it up. if not....Hell, probably still get it.

StriderTuna
Aug 9, 2011, 08:19 PM
I heard it was an okay movie so...

Deal with it!

(Psht, yeah right, as if Japanese people can write good stories after 2005. We all know they're just talking about the shiny special effects when people say final fantasy has a "good story")

Of course all that is completely out of context.

I consider FFXIII's strongest trait the combat system, similar to Tales and Tri-Ace games where the real meat of the game is in the post game battles, hence my remark. I won't deny that it has some flaws (though seeing how stupid casual RPGers are, maybe all those tutorials might be needed.)

NoiseHERO
Aug 9, 2011, 08:29 PM
Dude I just FF games for the cutscenes...

That's like literally all the series has been about for me after PSX...

Cutscenes = Your reward.

Hmm... maybe I'll like ff13 more than the past games... e_e

StriderTuna
Aug 9, 2011, 08:49 PM
Dude I just FF games for the cutscenes...

That's like literally all the series has been about for me after PSX...

Cutscenes = Your reward.

Hmm... maybe I'll like ff13 more than the past games... e_e

Perhaps; I'm about to start a FF topic in off topic so I don't derail things any longer so feel free to check it out.

ShinMaruku
Aug 10, 2011, 12:12 AM
I hope they like in PSP2i they take into account some the perks from another class.

GCoffee
Aug 10, 2011, 07:36 AM
I think keeping it at class leveling only is a great idea.

Changing class for the first time would resemble creating a new character with a different class in PSO. Just that here in PSO2 it is still the same character. Class levels in PSO2 would resemble the level of a character in PSO that was unable to change classes.

Whoever liked the way leveling was handled in PSO has to like the way it is handled here. Since it is pretty much the same.

Calsetes
Aug 10, 2011, 12:53 PM
Meh, I'll just play Champions Online while I wait for PSO2. Then see if it's good. If it is (I'm leaning towards is, at this point...[please!]) I'll pick it up. if not....Hell, probably still get it.

Hooray, someone else who plays that!

Jinketsu
Aug 11, 2011, 06:13 AM
Whoever liked the way leveling was handled in PSO has to like the way it is handled here. Since it is pretty much the same.

I know I do!

Though I'm guessing there are going to be slight benefits and detriments for each race in each class, so I'm sure people will want to create more than one character to get the 'optimal' performance out of a class.

ShinMaruku
Aug 12, 2011, 01:24 AM
Class leveling can be something working with acessibilty. Also it adds another layer in the end game focus.
Could be a good thing time will tell if it changes.