PDA

View Full Version : Art C-Mode Jam - Musical Madness 2: Electric Boogaloo

SpikeOtacon
Aug 9, 2011, 11:17 PM
Returning to Fan Works after another vacation away, I come bringing part 2 of my musically themed Art C-Mode. Missed out on the last time? Well, it was two years ago so I can't blame you. Check it out here (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157109).

Now, on to business! Last time I put forth a challenge for you to take your favorite album art and make it PSO/PSU themed. I want to continue our involvement of music, but this time we will be taking a different angle. Since I'm a writing man, I love me some excellent lyrics. A lot of music involves telling a story, whether it being confined to one song or a whole album. Pictures are also worth a thousand words. I want to propose to you, artists of fanworks:

Using lyrics as inspiration, draw/sketch a PSO/PSU themed scene.

The idea here is to draw inspiration not just from the notes of music, but from the words that drive the message as well. What kind of lyrics will inspire your PSO/PSU imagination? Let it flow free and show fanworks what you've got!

Submissions should be submitted in the following format:

Lyrics first, can be the whole song or just a selection of your choice
Youtube of song, if available for reference
and finally, the picture itself.

Example:

I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
but that day you know i left my money
and i thought of you only
all that copper glowing fine

and i wonder what became of you
what became of you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_XXismYUZs

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/1165/theshrine.jpg
Note: I did not draw that haha, just an example picture.

[/spoiler-box]

The exercise is now open! No time limits, PM's or any of that other bothersome stuff! [s]The exercise will run until the 24th of August, at which time all final submissions must be PM'd to me. After that, I will display all of the submissions in this thread, and perhaps there will be a vote if we feel like making this a competition. In this thread, please post if you choose to participate so I can know to expect something from you. I would like to request that the full picture not be posted here but just PM'd to me when completed, however if you want to give a tease of your work (simple sketch, clip of the lyrics, etc) feel free! I encourage interaction with your fellow artists along the path to your completed works.

I'm hoping with our recent influx in trying to get fanworks more alive and involved, we shall see some fine submissions. And I hope you will join this exercise with your fellow Fan Works artists!

Shoutout to Sayara for the brainstorm session which led to this being brought out.

Sayara
Aug 9, 2011, 11:37 PM
Im tellin you now im TOTALLY in this show.

Airalean
Aug 9, 2011, 11:42 PM
Me too!

Ami
Aug 9, 2011, 11:55 PM
I may try this out

Mimo
Aug 9, 2011, 11:59 PM
Nice idea, but maybe it can just be an open exercise? No time limit I mean and no pm'ing post. Too much hassle I think.

NoiseHERO
Aug 10, 2011, 07:07 AM
MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

BIG OLAF
Aug 10, 2011, 10:26 AM
Damn it, I wish I could draw. This seems like a lot of fun.

qoxolg
Aug 10, 2011, 10:31 AM
I think making this into a drawing jam is good enough (no competition). If I can finish my personal PSO2 piece in time, I could join this to try out some more painting..

Also like Mimo stated I wouldn't go for PM based submissions. The fun of these kind of things is actually being active, show of idea's, WIP's.

Rei-San
Aug 10, 2011, 11:46 AM
I'm defiantly getting in on this.

Sayara
Aug 10, 2011, 07:22 PM
I kind of like the timer; it really gets you to flex your muscles and get a crackin. In a designer world, your client will want their stuff by a week of their ideas being given, its a good warm up for doing so.

Im also p-sure Spike will be tolerable with late guys. i was totally late for doing mine last time :s
also as per teasing
my lyrics in english translation:
"My city has turned out her lamp
From the blood of a child carried upon her hand
She shut her door, and became alone in the sky
Alone with the night"

لِبَيرُوت، مَجْدٌ مِنْ رَمَادٍ لِبَيْرُوت
مِنْ دَمٍ لِوَلَدٍ حُمِلَ فَوْقَ َيدِهَا
أَطْفَأتْ مَدِينَتي قَِنَْدِيلَهَا
أَغْلَقَتْ بَابَهَا
أَصْبَحَتْ فِي المَسَاءِ وَحْدَهَا، وَحْدَهَا وَاللَّيلُ
in Arabic.

SpikeOtacon
Aug 10, 2011, 07:23 PM
I didn't intend for the air of the challenge to seem competitive, but more of a personal challenge to see what you guys could do with the time limit. I kinda threw the suggestion of a vote for the "best" after I wrote the bulk of my post because I thought it may appeal to some who otherwise may not have been enticed by the idea alone.

However, I want all of you to feel comfortable enough with this to be able to participate. So I'll put it to a vote! Cast your vote to let me know how you want to approach this. Whatever we decide will go!

SpikeOtacon
Aug 12, 2011, 01:09 PM
Well, hate to double post but it looks pretty obvious which direction we're going in! No need to worry about time restrictions, single submissions, PMing or any of that jazz. The C-Mode will now be an open mic night if you will. Post progress, give feedback, do however you please.

3, 2, 1, Let's Jam.

Sayara
Aug 12, 2011, 06:10 PM
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpql8n2IMm1qe41x3o1_500.jpg
So heres an old WIP of whats goin down

NoiseHERO
Aug 13, 2011, 06:31 PM
I hate WIPs.

Don't ask why.

This is the first time I've ever made a "WIP."

Seems similar to Sayara's.

http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t342/GenerationMichaeru/blackholewip.png

Song = The Black Hole by Horse The Band...

Even though everyone and their grandmother probably hates any form on unfamiliar metal... This song and it's Lyrics + Dark force = FUKKEN YES!

I'll add details on the song later when the pic is done... for anyone who doesn't care enough to look it up

Sayara
Aug 13, 2011, 08:19 PM
Trust me, it wont look annnnnythhinnnng like mine when you see it :wacko:

NoiseHERO
Aug 13, 2011, 08:27 PM
Well as long as it doesn't have a bunch of black holes, megids and anomalies and a raging dark force moshing his arms as his stomach eats a colorful vortex of predetermined death and chaos and beauty as the hero helplessly stares at it from his space ship cockpit at the speed of light...

Then I guess not..

*Is exaggerating and will probably fail.*

Sord
Aug 13, 2011, 08:37 PM
Well as long as it doesn't have a bunch of black holes, megids and anomalies and a raging dark force moshing his arms as his stomach eats a colorful vortex of predetermined death and chaos and beauty as the hero helplessly stares at it from his space ship cockpit at the speed of light...

Then I guess not..

*Is exaggerating and will probably fail.*

It presently looks more like a robot's pectoral muscles are screaming in (somewhat cutely) tortured agony :wacko:

NoiseHERO
Aug 13, 2011, 08:40 PM
GOOD! >D

Ami
Aug 13, 2011, 10:45 PM
My first time doing something like this (http://mirror-alchemist.deviantart.com/art/The-Watchers-will-Dance-252530587), clicking on the link gives all the details (including the song link) and stoof. >o>

NoiseHERO
Aug 13, 2011, 11:11 PM
Everyone's drawing something evil in space. ]:

Ami
Aug 14, 2011, 03:22 AM
Great minds think alike >:3

qoxolg
Aug 14, 2011, 09:03 AM
Gah! I just realized I don't listen much music that actually has lyrics.. :wacko: This challenge will be a hard one for me.. I thought I could make something up today, but I think I'll have to let a rest a few days to get a good idea..

Everyone here is starting out great! I think we should do more of these kind of challenges here. It's always good to have a change of things you normally wouldn't do :)

Sayara
Aug 14, 2011, 11:13 AM
This'll be my last teaser before pictures get uploadin. Like i said, totally not like yours Mich :wacko:
http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad298/Nokoopa/s3.jpg

NoiseHERO
Aug 14, 2011, 02:21 PM
GOOD THEN!

//FIXES NON-PRESCRIPTION HIPSTER GLASSES

Sayara
Aug 14, 2011, 04:39 PM
I will say this much, as I am about to display my image (in a spoiler, its around 15x20inches) is that my music choice and the final output are drastic differences. Also a different lanauage, because forget trying to romanize my own damn language!

[spoiler-box]http://jziadi.net/html/Art/L2i.png[/spoiler-box]
Weinend für Göttlichkeit

Cry for IDOLA the Holy.

I used similar approach i painted with back last year with this one. The chaotic paint strokes so masterly initiated with Sai is a gateway to my enjoyment with the program I could't really muster the ability with in photoshop.

Anyway the song choice is "Li Beirut" by Fairuz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HlxqursgjU

An anti-war/recovery ballad for her capitol city of Lebanon (Named; Beirut of course.)
"My city has turned out her lamp
From the blood of a child carried upon her hand
She shut her door, and became alone in the sky
Alone with the night"

لِبَيرُوت، مَجْدٌ مِنْ رَمَادٍ لِبَيْرُوت
مِنْ دَمٍ لِوَلَدٍ حُمِلَ فَوْقَ َيدِهَا
أَطْفَأتْ مَدِينَتي قَِنَْدِيلَهَا
أَغْلَقَتْ بَابَهَا
أَصْبَحَتْ فِي المَسَاءِ وَحْدَهَا، وَحْدَهَا وَاللَّيلُ

in Arabic.

This was fun, lets go again
>>Everybody.

SpikeOtacon
Aug 14, 2011, 05:26 PM
I really like your illustration, Ami. Very unique take of the PSU Universe and certainly not one I was expecting to see! It's very popular to focus on the players and races of the series but you took on the stars themselves. It also contains some of the insanity that Drakengard is home to, which the song you chose almost betrays with its serenity. A very disturbing scene, with Rykros succeeding and beginning to exterminate Gurhal. I'm glad to see you stepped into this different boundary for your art for this challenge. I was hoping to stir some inspiration!

I'm looking forward to seeing the final for yours Michaeru, though beyond perspective I think yours will be much different than Sayara's final.

Mr Gle, I saw yours a few days before you posted your final here. I even got to watch you work on livestream to produce the image above. It was a joy to witness, and the song is gorgeous even if in a language I don't understand. But art allows us to move beyond language barriers. You picked a very dark scene as well, but yours has a gleam of hope in the end. For as simple in its story that PSO can be, the assimilation of Rico into Falz' body and subsequent exorcism is poetic in its own right. Certainly something that I am happy was touched upon.

Also yes, don't forget that since this is an open exercise you can continue to post new works under this exercise so long as you find inspiration in your music. And I do have some further Art C-Modes designed and ready, as well as some writing exercises for our Fanfic/RP participants. I just want to give some time for this one to have a full go around or two before the next comes up. Beautiful work so far!

Mimo
Aug 14, 2011, 05:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDtLpCzKqkQ

I analyze and I verify and I quantify enough
100 percentile no errors no miss
I synchronize and I specialize and I classify so much
Don't worry 'bout dreaming because I don't sleep --

If I only was more human

[spoiler-box]

http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab348/Mimosathesecret/PSU%20art/musiccomic.jpg

Pete needs love and more fan art. D: Also, I think I cheated by adding panels. xD
[/spoiler-box]

Sagasu
Aug 14, 2011, 06:20 PM
Count me in.

There is a particular song that I used to listen to a lot when grinding back in the pso days, hah, will share that when I have a painting done.

Ami
Aug 14, 2011, 10:31 PM
Dammit Mimo, you made me remember how much I loved Pete in ep.1 D: *manly tears*

NoiseHERO
Aug 26, 2011, 11:51 PM
Having a job sucks, I completely forgot about this then started drawing something else. e_e

Free bump I guess (Looks like everyone else it busy too-

Wait did I just say "having a job sucks"? D<

*get's dat payper*