PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Photon Arts

Stezan
Aug 14, 2011, 06:46 AM
As I was watching the preview videos, I didn't happen to see anything similar to the flashy Gun Photon Arts from PSZ and PSPo2i. I really liked them in PSZ, felt they gave Rangers a more varied and fun attack method even if some were pretty situational and difficult to use. Any thoughts on whether they will return for PSO2? Anyone prefer they stay out?

NoiseHERO
Aug 14, 2011, 07:10 AM
Guns have photon arts...(I think) or at least different shooting abilities.

You wont be jumping 20 feet into the air when you use them thou-Oh wait yes you can.

Well we'll see what happens since... There's literally only like 4 weapons revealed and maybe a couple photon arts on any of them.

Also just in case: NB4 argument on how we don't need anime physics (which we already have) and about how much realism a videogame("MY PSO") should have.

Pillan
Aug 14, 2011, 09:15 AM
The only gun arts I have seen so far were the automatic rifle burst and the missile attack, which are both featured in the initial preview trailer. So far, it does not look like Rangers are nearly as animated as they were in PSZ, but I prefer efficiency to shooting a machinegun randomly in every direction.

pikachief
Aug 14, 2011, 09:56 AM
) and about how much realism a videogame("MY PSO") should have.

Which is NONE. The amount of realism they try to throw into games which should be an interactive experience outside the bounds of reality is silly sometimes. They try to hard to be realistic with some games when the older games of just crazy fun and creativeness was the best.

anyways lol, I'm pretty sure I saw guns having PAs :) and with PSZ PSP2 and PSP2i having gun PAs im sure this game isnt going to take a step back when it comes to PAs :)

Mracless
Aug 14, 2011, 09:56 AM
Aww man. I prefer looking cool and hitting nothing. :wacko:

FluffyFox
Aug 14, 2011, 12:14 PM
The only gun arts I have seen so far were the automatic rifle burst and the missile attack, which are both featured in the initial preview trailer. So far, it does not look like Rangers are nearly as animated as they were in PSZ, but I prefer efficiency to shooting a machinegun randomly in every direction.

Except that almost all of the photon arts for guns in PSZ absolutely sucked, or were EXTREMELY situational as to only be useful against one enemy or boss.

(Also, on a PSZ note, I swar to GOD if bazookas do not deal AoE, I'm going to flip a nut. also, they need to bring shots back. Gunblade was the dumbest idea ever, if I'm a RANGER, I want to SHOOT things.)

RemiusTA
Aug 14, 2011, 12:23 PM
As I was watching the preview videos, I didn't happen to see anything similar to the flashy Gun Photon Arts from PSZ and PSPo2i. I really liked them in PSZ, felt they gave Rangers a more varied and fun attack method even if some were pretty situational and difficult to use. Any thoughts on whether they will return for PSO2? Anyone prefer they stay out?

I thought they were all absolutely retarded, and im personally glad to see them go.

It basically took the guns and did the same problem they did with striking weapons. Give them Photon Arts that COMPLETELY take them out of their original range of usage.

I'd prefer small attachments to guns, like Burstfire, Full Auto, and Extra Attack shots, like in PSO.

For Instance, you can have the "incendiary ammo" attachment on your gun that can inflict Burn+Fire damage to enemies. Or a "tranquilizer round" one that has a chance to put them to sleep. Or maybe a Sniper attachment to increase accuracy and let you attack from really far away. Or a Grenade Launcher, like shown on the actual PSO2 videos.

That PSP2i shit was absolutely retarded IMO. It was so over the top that it felt like they were seriously trying too hard. Like that Rifle ChargeshotII that explodes and actually FORCES your character to do a stupid backwards pose. It just looks dumb.

Subtle but interesting is the way to go here IMO. You guys can say "BUT OMG ITS A FANTASY GAME ITS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE REAL LIFE BLAHBLAHABLAB", but even in a fantasy setting, you'll have alot more fun with weapons in the game that behave more like real weapons. There wasn't a single gun in PSU that felt believably dangerous. Worst of them being that absolutely disgusting Mechgun. (the sound effect, animation AND projectile just screamed "lazy" and "unbelievable".) The only weapon with any bass or recoil was the Rifle, and even it had a terribly wonky animation. They changed a few melee animations around to make them feel more powerful to wield throughout AotI and PSP2 (Sword, Saber, Twin Saber, Twin Daggers, maybe a few more), but it seems like the only solution they had for Guns is to give them absolutely retarded attacks. Like rifle shots that explode and twin handgun shots that heal you I dont even-

Randomness
Aug 14, 2011, 03:02 PM

Spraying a ton of bullets everywhere had its uses...

•Col•
Aug 14, 2011, 04:24 PM
IIa. RANGED WEAPONS:

Instead of having different elemental bullets, guns now get Photon Art special attacks that cost PP to use(such as a Charge Shot)
Speculation: It seems like the center button for the Rifle might switch the left and right buttons to another set of commands, such as alternate Photon Arts. Some additional info here: http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2627555&postcount=128

Again, from the info thread.

Malachite
Aug 14, 2011, 04:56 PM
Yeah... a good deal of the page one topics could have been easily solved by looking at the sticky. I seriously don't understand how people don't look at that. It takes far more effort to post a new topic than it does to look there. srsly people

Randomness
Aug 14, 2011, 06:55 PM
Except that almost all of the photon arts for guns in PSZ absolutely sucked, or were EXTREMELY situational as to only be useful against one enemy or boss.

(Also, on a PSZ note, I swar to GOD if bazookas do not deal AoE, I'm going to flip a nut. also, they need to bring shots back. Gunblade was the dumbest idea ever, if I'm a RANGER, I want to SHOOT things.)

I will concede many of the gun arts were awful. I'll then counter that many of the arts in general were awful.

And then... there's Mine Sneak. Which was ridiculously OP.

r00tabaga
Aug 14, 2011, 08:36 PM
Again, from the info thread.

Could this be any more vague? There's not much on the info thread to really answer this question. Speculation is not factual. To the OP, no PAs have been shown for rangers yet.

•Col•
Aug 14, 2011, 08:55 PM
Could this be any more vague? There's not much on the info thread to really answer this question. Speculation is not factual. To the OP, no PAs have been shown for rangers yet.

If it's not in the info thread then we just don't know. :l And yes we have seen at least one PA for the rifle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcE1ZMt-kss&feature=feedf

Charge shot at 2:25. It's very likely that the grenade at 2:26 acts like a PA as well.

I gotta say... You sure do have a knack for acting like a jerk and being wrong.

Ark22
Aug 14, 2011, 09:02 PM
Like I said, not everyone reads it. I know I don't. Plus this is a pretty good branch off topic :P

r00tabaga
Aug 14, 2011, 09:06 PM
Like I said, not everyone reads it. I know I don't. Plus this is a pretty good branch off topic :P

Coloya thinks his info thread is the greatest thing since weapon grinding. He really takes offense to people not reading his in-depth analysis of shut we already know.

Malachite
Aug 14, 2011, 09:18 PM
Well... he was right lol.

It's not so much pride, so much as it is the fact that you're supposed to check information stickies before you make new topics asking stuff which is easily answered there.

RemiusTA
Aug 14, 2011, 09:19 PM
Coloya thinks his info thread is the greatest thing since weapon grinding. He really takes offense to people not reading his in-depth analysis of shut we already know.Or maybe he just feels like there's a thread, stickied for your convenience, when you first waltz into this forum that clearly says "PSO2 Info Thread" that pretty much includes all CONFIRMED info that we have been informed of and that people should probably use it before asking stuff.

In which case i feel the same.

I dont know if you want to call them "PA's", but even before the thread was established we have all noted seeing rangers with the regular Burst Fire, Full-Automatic fire, and Grenade Launcher shots.

The full-auto and grenade launcher attacks are probably due to attachments, and thus will probably double as "photon arts" (which really do not even exist anymore like they did in PSP2.)

r00tabaga
Aug 14, 2011, 09:27 PM
The OP was pretty specific in which PA he or she was referring to. Nowhere in any videos released this far, has any "PA" been shown, except for hunters.

NoiseHERO
Aug 14, 2011, 09:30 PM
What the hell is the problem, here?

Isn't this thread solved?

•Col•
Aug 14, 2011, 09:36 PM
The OP was pretty specific in which PA he or she was referring to. Nowhere in any videos released this far, has any "PA" been shown, except for hunters.

The OP was asking about Charge Shots.

I linked to a Rifle Charge Shot in the video. :l It costed PP to use, looked like a single giant laser, and did higher damage than a normal shot. If that's not a PA, then I don't know what is. I also thought the OP also would have liked to know about the different firing modes and such, since he/she was talking about varied attack methods.

And wat. There isn't any in depth analysis in the info thread. ._.

I get annoyed when people don't bother looking in the info thread when it's just easier and better for everyone. If you want to speculate/discuss something then fine. But in these cases where someone asks a question, I just quote the info from my thread and leave it at that. Which is what I did.

r00tabaga
Aug 14, 2011, 09:43 PM

Colaya: Charged shot in the video was not at all what he is referring to, nor was I.

ShadowDragon28
Aug 14, 2011, 09:44 PM
I wish PSO2 would have Ranger PA's that were like this:
http://youtu.be/A2KJHysK6k8

r00tabaga
Aug 14, 2011, 10:22 PM
Gunkata PAs would be sick!

•Col•
Aug 14, 2011, 10:51 PM
Colaya: Charged shot in the video was not at all what he is referring to, nor was I.

The Gun Photon Arts in PSZ and PSPo2i are called Charge Shots.

r00tabaga
Aug 14, 2011, 10:55 PM
PSPo2i & pspo2's PAs are different? I haven't played Infinity but if they removed all of the other PAs then I'm glad that we aren't getting it! Pspo2 had BOTH charged shots & PAs.

RemiusTA
Aug 14, 2011, 10:58 PM
http://i.neoseeker.com/mgv/394161-Lorx/161/38/1255499306365_display.gif

noel vermillion ftw

Actually, some of this stuff would actually be pretty cool. Just not in the form of PSP2's dipshit ideas where handguns become rocket launchers, rifles become grenade launchers, and grenade launchers become 200mm cannons.

I think it would mostly be cool in the form of multi lockon firing, but NOT photon arts. In other words, it gives you the ability to shoot at multiple targets and maybe increase mobility, but thats about it.

But I cant see them putting that kind of animation work into this class in the slightest. They would have to carefully implement that as a whole new system in order for it to not be trash like in PSP2i.

•Col•
Aug 14, 2011, 11:22 PM
PSPo2i & pspo2's PAs are different? I haven't played Infinity but if they removed all of the other PAs then I'm glad that we aren't getting it! Pspo2 had BOTH charged shots & PAs.

I don't really understand if you were asking a question or stating something here....

In PSP2 there were Charge Shots and and ability which let you charge them to a 2nd level, called Charge Shots 2. In PSP2i they changed the animations for a lot of the Charge Shot 2's to be more... ridiculous.

There were some "fancy" Charge Shots in PSP2 though, like the Double Handgun one. You did a dive through the air and shot several times.

Rizen
Aug 15, 2011, 12:46 AM
I thought the ability was called Full Charge Shot?

Charge Shot I's were mostly charged up shots that had slightly altered animations usually bigger kick back except twin handguns in which you did a backflip before firing twice. Personally, I like how these worked although rifles start to get on a bit of the OP side when doing 30 chain on multi-hit targets with full charge shot.

Charge Shot II's completely altered the ranged weapon behavior...rifles became satellite lasers, lasers became street sweepers, handguns became healing weapons (lolwut?) and bows and mechguns became super happy fun fun multi-hit superb damage time....(maybe I'm a bit biased here because most of my S rank bows were 46~50% element).

Personally, I think they should bring back Charged Shots...a more subtle version of them anyway. A little flash wouldn't hurt.

FluffyFox
Aug 15, 2011, 01:22 AM
http://i.neoseeker.com/mgv/394161-Lorx/161/38/1255499306365_display.gif

noel vermillion ftw

They had a PA like that in PSZ, called cool style. it sucked. also, what good does it do you to shoot bullets everywhere randomly (even at the ground? wtf)

what you find to be a cool animation looks ridiculously retarded to me, and I really hope they don't bring the cool style PA back, it was garbage.

Malachite
Aug 15, 2011, 01:30 AM
What use is jumping into the air and doing all sorts of fancy moves with a sword when you could just slash them once and be done with it?

see lol, it's a videogame.

RemiusTA
Aug 15, 2011, 01:59 AM
Personally, I think they should bring back Charged Shots...a more subtle version of them anyway. A little flash wouldn't hurt. Like i always say. Flash is great, it's wonderful, it makes a game fun, but too much and you become blind to it.

It was cool to see my character jump in the air and do an attack in a PS game. But by the time PSP2 came out, they already got so retarded with AotI and all that floaty shit that PSP2's just didn't even phase me. And then along comes infinity, and i dont even care anymore. You have to build up to that kind of thing, but if you do it too much you come up with a kind of dimming effect, and the effect isn't NEARLY as dramatic as if you were just more subtle to begin with.

Great example? Anyone who ever watched DBZ is very familiar with this effect. Super Sayian started off being the coolest shit on the planet...until it became so common that it just became the standard, and the writer had to keep getting creative in terms of how to tell their strengths apart.

[spoiler-box]
-Goku goes SSJ. "FUCKING AWESOME OMG!!!!"

-Trunks goes SSJ. With Goku. "OMG FUCKING AMAZING SO COOL

-Vegeta goes SSJ. "YEAH FINALLY FUCKING AWESOME"

-Gohan goes SSJ. "Fucking cool man yeah"

-Vegeta goes SSJ Ascended. "Wow big muscles"

-Trunks goes SSJ ascended. "Wow bigger muscles wtf"

-Goku goes SSJ ascended. "seen it."

-Goku and Gohan are SSJ for like a week straight "seen it."

-Goku fights and goes SSJ full power. "he looks the same as always. Seen it."

-Gohan goes SSJ2. "FUCKING BADASS OMGYEAH BETTER THAN EXPECTED"

timeskip

-Kid Trunks goes SSJ. "seen it. Wait what"

-Kid Goten goes SSJ. "seen it. Wait what the f-i dont eve-"

-Gohan goes SSJ2. "Seen it."

-Goku goes SSJ2. "Seen it."

-Vegeta goes SSJ2. "Seen it."

-Goku goes SSJ 1-2 and then 3 after yelling for an episode - "What the fuck"

-Gotenks goes SSJ - "Seen it."

-Gotenks goes SSJ3. - "Wait what the f-"

-Gohan goes SSJ94320 without changing appearance - "This is neat ONLY because we're tired of golden hair. Normal is the new Unique."

-Vegetto goes SSJ - "Seen it."

-Goku goes SSJ3 for final battle - "seen it, but the animation is cool on this episode so yay."

Goku loses at Lv3.

-Goku commences to kill the strongest being in the universe while in his NORMAL STATE with a technique he learned near the START OF THE SERIES like 700 trillion episodes ago.

Once again, normal is the new unique.

This happened not only with golden spiky hair, but with pretty much EVERY energy blast on the show.

I had alot of fun remembering that stuff, BTW :3
[/spoiler-box]
[spoiler-box]

That (now) absolutely shitty manga Naruto is another example. The Uchiha and the Sharingan used to be really cool to see, until they just started pulling stupid fuckshit out of their asses in terms of what it was really capable of. In a show where battles were once between the skill and abilities of the characters, recent battles have degraded into who can pull the most retarded ability out of their ass. I stopped reading when a villain revealed he had a technique that allowed him to REWRITE REALITY. What the fuck man.

I used to like that Manga alot, too. But the storyline has been infested with so much bullshit that i dont know how anyone can even take it seriously anymore.
[/spoiler-box]

Phantasy Star Universe/Portable/Infinity? IMO they pushed the envelope with so many stupid attacks that i dont think there is a single Photon Art they can think of that i would find cool. Charge Shot II was just the icing on the cake. I dont understand any of those attacks. Photon weapons also got played out, IMO. In PSU, for the longest, the Hanzo was my favorite sword, because it was the first sword you get that has a 100% photon blade. And, uh.....it's all the same thing from then on.

what you find to be a cool animation looks ridiculously retarded to me, and I really hope they don't bring the cool style PA back, it was garbage.

Noel is fucking amazing, STILL YOUR TONGUE! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNUezA5N6RI&feature=player_detailpage#t=20s)

Tetsaru
Aug 15, 2011, 02:37 AM
Being able to use twin handguns or mechguns and spray down multiple enemies gunkata-style while acrobatically moving around would be pretty awesome to have, especially if Casts could actually move and fly around Armored Core style - that'd make my day. Seems like it'd be difficult or awkward to manually target the enemies you'd want to hit though, as well as keep a good camera angle, but I bet it could be done. I haven't played any of the Devil May Cry games, but I'm pretty sure you could at least shoot two enemies at once while moving around... correct me if I'm wrong.

Malachite
Aug 15, 2011, 02:42 AM
Not while moving, no.

Stezan
Aug 15, 2011, 03:18 AM
I think, idealy, PAs should give the weapon added versatility, be it range, Status effects, ACC, Power, or mobility. It is important, however, to keep these balanced, as no PA should have them all. Gravity Break from PSU comes to mind. It changes the Sword attack to focus on 1 enemy for more damage and wasn't too 'out there' in terms of flashiness/outlandishness, but was visually brutal nonetheless. Majarra would be an example of everything that you can do wrong with a PA, too powerful, huge range and movement, and just ridiculous to look at.

Since PSO2 gives guns alternate firing modes (like N64 Perfect Dark), I am happy. I just didn't want Rangers to regress to PSO/PSU (non Portables) playstyle as I usually found that to be quite boring compared to Hunters and Forces.

RemiusTA
Aug 15, 2011, 03:19 AM
Being able to use twin handguns or mechguns and spray down multiple enemies gunkata-style while acrobatically moving around would be pretty awesome to have, especially if Casts could actually move and fly around Armored Core style - that'd make my day. Seems like it'd be difficult or awkward to manually target the enemies you'd want to hit though, as well as keep a good camera angle, but I bet it could be done. I haven't played any of the Devil May Cry games, but I'm pretty sure you could at least shoot two enemies at once while moving around... correct me if I'm wrong.

In Devil May Cry, you have to be stationary to fire in two directions. Dante will automatically fire at the enemy you're locked-on to, and you choose the second direction by tilting the stick. Theres really no way for it to have worked if he was able to move at the same time, unless the second target was completely automatic. gunkata-style, multi-targeted shooting is something that would only work with 3rd-person auto-lockon, the way i would envision it. It would simply target the clostest enemies and change animations accordingly. You probably wouldn't be able to move very far, so cast flying gunkata is kind of out. (Although if you could fly to get out of distance i dont see the point in it anyway lol)

FPS manual aiming is so ridiculously overrated these days, anyway. The best fucking shooters i've played in the last 5 years have been 3rd person. Gears of War for 360, and The 3rd Birthday on PSP. Yes, i said a god damn PSP game is one of my favorite shooters of this entire generation. It has more gameplay depth than the last 3 Call of Duty entries combined. And you can't even manual aim without specific weapons.

In fact, im actually hoping PSO2 Ranger gameplay functions VERY similar to The 3rd Birthday. Auto-aim, with accuracy being dependent on the weapon and it's attachments. Snipers have manual aim, and can deal massive damage to weakpoints. Pistols are somewhat weak but maximize mobility and evasive maneuvers. Also, 3rd birthday is the first game ive played....well, i think ever to tell the truth, that actually has accurate Shotgun rounds. They can either be customized for point-blank massive damage, or are more accurate shells, still with high damage. (Not nearly rifle range, but enough to not have to kill yourself for them to be useful. Real shotguns dont have to be point blank to cause ridiculous damage, they ARE guns, people!)

First-person aiming is just so overrated.... I wish more games would come out to prove that. Instead of focusing ALL OF YOUR GAMEPLAY ON HEADSHOTS, you can leave the aiming to the computer, and put the depth on your weapon customization/stragety/movement and positioning. It just opens up so many doors. Of course, Halo has molded pretty much every game with guns in it to a standard, and Call of Duty has taken over that standard and made it shit. So most games with auto-aim are just going to get railed by reviewers like no tomorrow.

Stezan
Aug 15, 2011, 03:43 AM
My only issue with Auto-Aim is accidentally shooting something you didn't intend to, especially when missing your intended target means taking considerable damage. (I haven't played 3rd Birthday so I can't judge the merits of its system). I think for the most part, third-person-shooting is a great step in the right direction for PSO2. The only time I could see auto targeting as more beneficial than TPS is if it was relegated only to certain skills, like Cool Style (thus making it not useless and more of a weak AoE attack).

kyuuketsuki
Aug 15, 2011, 03:51 AM
Although I disagree with you in the drops thread, Remius, I can't agree more with your previous two posts here.

Over-the-top, floaty, flashy stuff needs to be kept to a minimum to actually retain impact. Otherwise, it becomes totally mundane, and there's nowhere to go except back to the "normal" mundane.

And thanks for ruining Naruto for me, btw. :P I hadn't gotten far enough to know they wen totally ape-s***. But then a lot of things like that which start out good suffer from DBZ-itis in the end, I suppose.

FluffyFox
Aug 15, 2011, 07:15 AM
Noel is fucking amazing, STILL YOUR TONGUE! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNUezA5N6RI&feature=player_detailpage#t=20s)

Sorry, I just think that looks hella dumb. xD Also not a huge fan of the stereotypical 2d fighters... I mean I know they take skill, but I don't like the concept of a game that requires you to know 50-string+ button combinations to juggle your foe repeatedly.

What use is jumping into the air and doing all sorts of fancy moves with a sword when you could just slash them once and be done with it?

see lol, it's a videogame.

I still think it makes more sense for a sword to be doing trick flips n shit >.> did you even see that animation? SHE IS LITERALLY SHOOTING AT THE GROUND. why. like, not even jumping and shooting below her in case maybe her target was under her or something... no, just shooting at the ground. like the earth offended her. Oh, that must be it, she was making a combo video against her surroundings. 99 COMBO!

Like, with a sword, would you not find it hella stupid if there was a PA that had your character facing every which way, throwing out stabs randomly at no particular target... That's what cool style PA was. that's what that animation is.

Tetsaru
Aug 15, 2011, 07:19 AM
I'm not opposed to auto-aim (I mean PSO did it), but I'm concerned that it might make the game a bit too easy for gunners. I remember in games like Metroid Prime, for some enemies, all I'd have to do is get remotely close to one that was in front of me, hit my lock-on button, and immediately hit my fire button, and the enemy would be dead within a second or two; the only real skill involved was how fast you could button mash and strafe away from the enemy's attacks. The only difference was, in PSO, you had to take more caution in where you positioned yourself and how you fired off your attacks, because you were usually sluggishly frozen in place for several seconds while shooting, and there were a lot of really mobile enemies out there, many with projectile or other long-range attacks that could easily kick your ass. Now, from what I've seen from the PSO2 footage so far, I don't think any of this will be a problem, but I could still see the possibility of having "point click boom dead" combat within a second of execution if certain balance issues aren't properly addressed.

RemiusTA
Aug 15, 2011, 11:15 AM
Sorry, I just think that looks hella dumb. xD Also not a huge fan of the stereotypical 2d fighters... I mean I know they take skill, but I don't like the concept of a game that requires you to know 50-string+ button combinations to juggle your foe repeatedly.

HAHAHA, sorry i literally laughed at the term "stereotypical 2D Fighter". I dont know what on earth a "stereotypical fighter" is, but i can almost assure you that Blazblue would be the polar opposite. And I respect your hatred for Fighting Games, but 50+ button combinations? Nah. Tekken has movelists 100-200 moves entries long, but you can commit the majority of them to memory very, very quickly because of how fighting games work. You aren't really memorizing buttons, you're memorizing moves. When you play a fighting game you dont memorize button presses. A person playing a fighting game never thinks about the buttons they're pressing unless they're practicing a combo with strict timing.

Anyway, i just felt the need to elaborate on that because i used to have the exact same opinion on the competitive fighting genre. I'd find most of the combos in that video far, FAR easier to do than some of those "combos" you see on games like Street Fighter that are only like 3 or 4 hits long, but require almost perfect inputs.

My only issue with Auto-Aim is accidentally shooting something you didn't intend to, especially when missing your intended target means taking considerable damage. (I haven't played 3rd Birthday so I can't judge the merits of its system). I think for the most part, third-person-shooting is a great step in the right direction for PSO2. The only time I could see auto targeting as more beneficial than TPS is if it was relegated only to certain skills, like Cool Style (thus making it not useless and more of a weak AoE attack). Well, it happens, but it's really more dependent on the targeting system. If the lock-on is programmed decently, then you shouldn't really have that problem. But on average, switching through targets to aim at is really no slower than doing it manually. In fact it's probably faster.

The issue comes in play when you're fighting like a crapload of enemies, but not all 3rd person games limit you to lock-on targeting. But in all, i dont find it much worse than manual aiming.

I'm not opposed to auto-aim (I mean PSO did it), but I'm concerned that it might make the game a bit too easy for gunners. I remember in games like Metroid Prime, for some enemies, all I'd have to do is get remotely close to one that was in front of me, hit my lock-on button, and immediately hit my fire button, and the enemy would be dead within a second or two; the only real skill involved was how fast you could button mash and strafe away from the enemy's attacks. The only difference was, in PSO, you had to take more caution in where you positioned yourself and how you fired off your attacks, because you were usually sluggishly frozen in place for several seconds while shooting, and there were a lot of really mobile enemies out there, many with projectile or other long-range attacks that could easily kick your ass. Now, from what I've seen from the PSO2 footage so far, I don't think any of this will be a problem, but I could still see the possibility of having "point click boom dead" combat within a second of execution if certain balance issues aren't properly addressed. Well that all goes down to how they design the game. All lock-on and auto-aiming does is take the burden of aiming off your hands, so you can focus on doing more things with your character. In Metroid Prime, lock-on shot at the enemy for you, but it was your job to 1) know where to hit it, 2) know what to hit it with, and 3) avoid its attacks. The game DID feature manual aiming, but you had to be still while doing it, and its uses were pretty limited.

Anyway, as for DIFFICULTY.....neither Gears of War nor 3rd Birthday could be classified as "easy". In gears, you can get overrun by enemies, and you have to take after your teammates because if they die you're screwed. There's no auto-aim in gears, but all the same it's 3rd person. In 3rd Birthday, you're allowed to shift your consciousness from any other teammates on the field at any time (including if the soldier you're using gets killed), so basically it's game over whenever there's nobody left to dive into. This encourages you to constantly manage your team by either a) diving into advantageous vantage points on the battlefield, or b) positioning your teammates in places that make group attacks easier. Issue is that everyone in the game is ridiculously squishy and it's very easy to get pinned down if you can't maneuver well. So in that sense, it's alot like PSO, where positioning and maneuvering is more important than aiming. It's autoaim, so your accuracy is dependent on distance, your weapon, and how it's customized.

And i dont even think difficulty is an issue. Modern FPS games aren't so much "difficult" because of SKILL, they're difficult because the situations you're placed in are so ridiculous that you have to resort to funny methods to win. I beat Halo 3 on Legendary Mode, SOLO. As in, by myself. It wasn't DIFFICULT, it was UNFAIR. You literally have to play things out near PERFECTLY to escape some situations because of how ridiculous and unrealistic the conditions are. This happens in 3rd birthday and gears of war too, dont get me wrong. But sometimes, i would like for my gameplay to revolve around something other than me peaking around a corner for 10 hours of gameplay.

annnnyway, "if certain balance issues aren't addressed" once again is kind of weak. It's always something to consider, but if you want to be technical, you can really say that with absolutely anything they put in this game.

r00tabaga
Aug 15, 2011, 02:36 PM
"Holy paragraphs Batman!"

RemiusTA
Aug 15, 2011, 05:42 PM
I type 80 WPM. By the time im finished im just like "well damn, maybe they'll read it maybe they wont".

Don't hate on the paragraphs, man.

Malachite
Aug 15, 2011, 05:43 PM
Only 80...? I thought someone of your wall-o-textness would type much faster than that.

Rizen
Aug 15, 2011, 06:10 PM
Geez, you didn't need to include the kitchen sink Remius.

RemiusTA
Aug 15, 2011, 06:13 PM
What is this, gang up on Remius hour? Ive done far worse than that before.

What, is it bothering someone? Do you want me to delete it?

Malachite
Aug 15, 2011, 06:16 PM
I love your text walls and I am constantly disappointed when the mods delete them.

NoiseHERO
Aug 15, 2011, 06:16 PM
I don't get it...

First we don't want silly over the top anime PAs...

Now we just want them as long as they look cool and aren't useless?

I just want my damn fist/gloves/hand-to-hand combat weapon so I can jump kick shit in the face.

RemiusTA
Aug 15, 2011, 06:20 PM
Well i just think that everything is good in moderation, yanno?

Sord
Aug 15, 2011, 06:31 PM
What is this, gang up on Remius hour?

Not that it's good or bad, but the fact you do respond to almost everything, and also make some decent size posts with plenty of content to reply to (as opposed to single or double sentence statements like others,) means you're more likely to get replies, be they for or against you. Just happens most people seem to be against.

Rizen
Aug 15, 2011, 07:08 PM
What is this, gang up on Remius hour? Ive done far worse than that before.

What, is it bothering someone? Do you want me to delete it?

Nah. Just giving you a hard time!