PDA

View Full Version : Will I be able to use a Xbox 360 Controller on PSO 2 for the PC

Littleman88
Aug 15, 2011, 11:20 AM
Hey I was just wondering if it will let you use a Xbox 360 controller on PSO 2 for the PC when it comes out?

kyuuketsuki
Aug 15, 2011, 11:23 AM
If the game supports gamepads at all then you will be able to use your 360 controller, since it's basically just another gamepad as far as the game is concerned.

The only thing is, with the game being PC-only, I wonder if the game might be designed around playing with a mouse+keyboard instead. But I think I'd probably prefer to play with my 360 controller... it just suits PSO/PSU much better, and presumably PSO2 as well.

Littleman88
Aug 15, 2011, 11:27 AM
If the game supports gamepads at all then you will be able to use your 360 controller, since it's basically just another gamepad as far as the game is concerned.

The only thing is, with the game being PC-only, I wonder if the game might be designed around playing with a mouse+keyboard instead. But I think I'd probably prefer to play with my 360 controller... it just suits PSO/PSU much better, and presumably PSO2 as well.

yeah I wanted the game to come out on Xbox 360 but so far its PC only so I just wondered if it would let you use a 360 controller for it because I hate playing games with a mouse and keyboard and I have played PSO my whole life with a controller

Ogni-XR21
Aug 15, 2011, 11:31 AM
Gamepad support is confirmed.

RemiusTA
Aug 15, 2011, 11:36 AM
Of course it is. I dont see why it wouldnt be.

Littleman88
Aug 15, 2011, 11:38 AM
ok good :) as long as I get to use a controller for it im happy

Anime_Angel
Aug 15, 2011, 11:46 AM
am relieved, that increased the percentage in me getting the game, I never liked how world of warcraft is played with a keybourd and mouse lol

•Col•
Aug 15, 2011, 01:41 PM
Taken from the info. thread.

XV. GAMEPAD CONTROLS:
Using Gamepad Buttons
-Normal Attack
-PA/TECHNIC
-Selection/Item Pickup,
-Jump/Cancel.
Using L buttons
-Lock On/Off
-Sub Palette Access (L1)
Left Stick
-Character Movement
-Auto Run (When Pressed in)
Right Stick
-Camera Movement
-POV Change (When Pressed in)
Arrow Key
-Change Action Palette (Up / Down)
-Sub Action Palette Target Change(Left/Right)

Wiz10011
Aug 15, 2011, 01:53 PM
zomg! now I got to find the Xbox360 receiver for the PC..

Sord
Aug 15, 2011, 02:25 PM
I'd be really surprised if they built it around mouse and keyboard, even if it is a PC exclusive (though I'd hope they would tweak it to make it better than before.) 3D movement of a single character and camera control just flat out translates better to a game pad, and I think Sega realizes this.

r00tabaga
Aug 15, 2011, 02:30 PM
I'd be really surprised if they built it around mouse and keyboard, even if it is a PC exclusive (though I'd hope they would tweak it to make it better than before.) 3D movement of a single character and camera control just flat out translates better to a game pad, and I think Sega realizes this.

...gamepad is the default controls

condiments
Aug 15, 2011, 03:05 PM
am relieved, that increased the percentage in me getting the game, I never liked how world of warcraft is played with a keybourd and mouse lol

God, I couldn't imagine playing my subtlety rogue on WoW with a gamepad. Too many keys, too much strafing movement :-P.

I'm glad they offer the option to play on a controller, but I'm probably going to go Keyboard and mouse unless they mess up the controls and don't provide good customization options. Being able to hotkey my techs will be awesome.

Mag-X
Aug 15, 2011, 03:08 PM
Hopefully you can move with WASD and move the camera and attack with the mouse. Knowing Sega though, it'll probably be the same keyboard controls as PSO and PSU, which are terribad.

voxie
Aug 15, 2011, 03:11 PM
So it's confirmed? Awesome :)

I imagine I'd use a 360 pad as well, but have the number keys on my kb for those back-up attacks...?

Never really played any game using this kind of set-up but should be fun!

New_One
Aug 15, 2011, 03:16 PM
if the default gamepad controls suck, i'll just use something like XBCD+ again

condiments
Aug 15, 2011, 03:26 PM
Hopefully you can move with WASD and move the camera and attack with the mouse. Knowing Sega though, it'll probably be the same keyboard controls as PSO and PSU, which are terribad.

Unfortunately I'm feeling this probably be the case, even though I much prefer Keyboard/Mouse. Guess I'll have to look through my junk container to find my wired 360 controller when this game comes out. :-(

Malachite
Aug 15, 2011, 03:38 PM
It's already been confirmed that yes, you do move with WASD and aim/attack with the mouse.

Angelo
Aug 15, 2011, 04:08 PM
I have a feeling it will play out like TERA, where Melee excels using a gamepad w/joystick and ranged excels using a keyboard and mouse.

Malachite
Aug 15, 2011, 04:09 PM
Most likely, yes. I hope the compensate for the huge upgrade in character control by making the enemies much more difficult.

Tetsaru
Aug 15, 2011, 10:35 PM
I'll have to see how it plays first. Most likely, I'll be using my old 360 controller that I used for PSU, if it'll still work, but then again, I've been getting used to playing games like FFXIV and LoL with keyboard and mouse.

AzureBlaze
Aug 16, 2011, 02:34 PM
As someone who has never really done a PC game before...
Outside the PSU beta, that is...
What is a GOOD controller to use for it?

It seems like the main consensus so far here is Xbox360 one.
It seems like a good idea because you already have it/don't have to buy another. So then there is a device/item that you have to buy to plug it into the PC or wireless it to the PC. (a flat thing on a small cord)

Well as soon as I saw this post I went shopping for the PC connector because I do like the Xbox controller and it seems sturdy.

What one of this does everyone have/want to buy?

I see in a lot of the product reviews, the official MS one breaks when it is out of warranty (90 days and it dies) there are loads of fake ones too, and those seem to work ok but take an ungodly amount of electricity out of the USB plug so that your other USB things don't work and then it doesn't work too, or it mandates a hub with separate power source. I have a separate hub, but was kind of planning to use it for a wireless keyboard so I can use the TV for PSO2.

Where's a good place to get an adapter & a good brand too?
Is there a controller that's just better than the Xbox one+adapter?

kyuuketsuki
Aug 16, 2011, 02:43 PM
Maybe I misread your post, but you don't need an adapter to use an Xbox 360 controller with your PC. You just plug it into a USB port, install the MS drivers, and boom your done. You only need to buy something separate (the wireless receiver thingermajig) if you want to use the wireless controller

I've been using my 360 controller (the official MS one of course, most 3rd party controllers are poor quality and/or have weird, unergonomic designs) for a couple years and it's never had a glitch. Couldn't recommend it more highly.

yoshiblue
Aug 16, 2011, 02:45 PM
I hate buying 3rd party controllers due to most of them always causing me to forcefully go left.

Ogni-XR21
Aug 16, 2011, 02:48 PM
IIRC only wired 360 controllers can be connected to a PC (some poster a few posts back also mentioned this).

On PC I use a Logitech wireless controller, works like a charm. Hell when I started PSU I played with a 5 buck controller which worked just fine too. Whatever works for you...

RedRaz0r
Aug 16, 2011, 02:53 PM
This thread seriously blows my mind.

I cant see someone picking a gamepad over a keyboard/mouse. IMO thats one of the better reasons to play games on a pc instead of a console. This just seems so weird to me haha

RedRaz0r
Aug 16, 2011, 02:54 PM
IIRC only wired 360 controllers can be connected to a PC (some poster a few posts back also mentioned this).

On PC I use a Logitech wireless controller, works like a charm. Hell when I started PSU I played with a 5 buck controller which worked just fine too. Whatever works for you...

You can get a wireless thing so you can connect wireless controllers to your pc.

Vashyron
Aug 16, 2011, 02:57 PM
I prefer PS3 Controller, needs some drivers to emulate as it was a 360 controller, then done.

But eh, I know I'll be using Mouse/Keyboard.

ShadowDragon28
Aug 16, 2011, 02:58 PM
I use a Wii Classic Controller Pro with an adapter that allows me to plug it into my PC. It works great!

•Col•
Aug 16, 2011, 02:59 PM

I cant see someone picking a gamepad over a keyboard/mouse. IMO thats one of the better reasons to play games on a pc instead of a console. This just seems so weird to me haha

Wat.

Did you even play PSO/PSU? ._.

Mag-X
Aug 16, 2011, 03:03 PM

Normally this is true, but some games just work better with a controller. PSO and PSU had horrible keyboard controls.

Vashyron
Aug 16, 2011, 03:08 PM
Wat.

Please tell me your magical version of PSO/PSU that included the mouse. :wacko:

Malachite
Aug 16, 2011, 04:59 PM

Lol... the only games that play better with a mouse are shooters and RTSes.

For ANY other game ever, a gamepad is vastly superior. Playing DMC on a keyboard? Ouch. Zelda? Gross.

@ Vash, maybe I just misunderstood you, but you know PSO2 uses WASD/mouse right?

Vashyron
Aug 16, 2011, 05:11 PM
Yeah. It was my point that PSO/PSU didn't use the mouse compared to PSO2.

Personally the only game types I know that I'd definitely use a Controller for is Racing, Platform and Fighting games and Mouse/Keyboard for Shooters, RTS and games that utilize multiple buttons on keyboard for faster input. The rest it'll depend, but I'm a bit more in favor of Keyboard/Mouse combo. (Keyboard alone is generally pretty bad.)

In the instance of PSO2, I know I'll be using Mouse/Keyboard due to Ranger/Force Gameplay (Also hunters using offensive techs and guns.) and for fast access to the Hotbar and typing.

Sord
Aug 16, 2011, 05:15 PM
As long as I can toggle between my walk/run speeds (in addition to now aiming with the mouse,) I'll probably stick to keyboard. I hated that in PSO if you were keyboard, you ran, all the time, and turning to target things sometimes was a bitch. Though turning camera should now be on the mouse. We'll see just how they developed the full control scheme when it comes out (or possibly when alpha is out.) Will hold off on a final decision until then.

RedRaz0r
Aug 16, 2011, 06:26 PM
Wat.

Tell me, as a force in PSO:BB, how would you possibly bind all of your techs to 6 buttons?

I did play PSU for a while, on 360. That was fine with a controller, with the whole pallet system for switching your techs in and out. But a PSO style set up made playing a force a pain in the ass.

There's just so many more buttons and options on a keyboard/mouse that make it better, imo, than a controller. So many more possibilities to suit your play style.

RedRaz0r
Aug 16, 2011, 06:28 PM
Lol... the only games that play better with a mouse are shooters and RTSes.

For ANY other game ever, a gamepad is vastly superior. Playing DMC on a keyboard? Ouch. Zelda? Gross.

@ Vash, maybe I just misunderstood you, but you know PSO2 uses WASD/mouse right?

Play WoW with a controller. And that's the biggest subscription based mmorpg. Tell me how that goes, unless you play a healer with healbot and use your controller to move your mouse and your buttons to do different clicks

Anyways, my point wasnt exactly to argue about this, I was just pointing out how my mind was blown, being a pc gamer and seeing people want to use a controller. You're welcome to play games however you like, I was just suprised at the number of people that wanted to use a controller on a PC game

Sord
Aug 16, 2011, 06:37 PM
Anyways, my point wasnt exactly to argue about this, I was just pointing out how my mind was blown, being a pc gamer and seeing people want to use a controller. You're welcome to play games however you like, I was just suprised at the number of people that wanted to use a controller on a PC game

Well, outside the hot key thing you mentioned, controller was just far easier to use in BB for movement in PC (admittedly, I did not play force, I played casts more than anything, so all I had most of the time were traps and items.) In my case, my keyboard is kind of low as it is, I don't like it that high above my lap. So I was able to just play on a controller and poke the number keys with an index finger if I needed to. For me, ease of character movement is usually the deciding factor in which form of control I go with.

Malachite
Aug 16, 2011, 06:37 PM
Play WoW with a controller. And that's the biggest subscription based mmorpg. Tell me how that goes, unless you play a healer with healbot and use your controller to move your mouse and your buttons to do different clicks

...WoW is a (shitty) point and click based game lol. It's designed around clicking on things.

What a terrible example. Go try to play any third person non-shooter game with a mouse/keyboard, and try to tell me it's better that way.

I've been a PC gamer since before you could even plug a gamepad into a PC, and I still say that gamepads are vastly superior for the majority of game types out there. Lack of analog control + sloppily placed/uncomfortable buttons does not = good. Keyboards are designed for typing, while gamepads are designed for actually playing games. That's like saying using scissors is a better way to cut the grass than a lawnmower is, or that taping two speakers to your head is a better way to listen to music than headphones are.

I mean, how are you surprised...? You must not be a big PC gamer if people using gamepads is something new to you lol.

Angelo
Aug 16, 2011, 06:43 PM
As I said earlier.

Melee = Controller

Why? Character placement is much more important to set up your attacks. Your position needs to constantly change, so in these situations a 360 joystick outweighs the prehistoric 8-way direction of WASD. This is not an issue in games like WoW because there is no actual dynamic attacking, it's all targetted rng and your character is fixed facing forward. When playing a melee character the camera angle is more of less just a view, you only need to adjust the horizontal plane, which makes a joystick-controlled camera more than enough to be efficient.

Ranged = Mouse/Keyboard

Why? Character placement is not quite as dynamic. Your distance from the enemy is fixed at a distance and you really only need to worry about strafing, so the 8 directions offered by WASD is fine since you'll be playing at a back-fixed (TPS) mode during combat. Camera, obviously (due to TPS mode) is much more important than your maneuvering and placement (like your melee counterparts), so it's vital that you can freely and accurately move along both the horizontal and vertical planes with your camera control.

Malachite
Aug 16, 2011, 06:46 PM
Yes, I agree with Angelo for the most part. Nothing will ever top a gamepad for melee, and nothing will ever top a mouse for shooting.

That being said, I'm most likely still going to use a gamepad for whatever ranger I might play, granted the controls aren't totally fucked.

•Col•
Aug 16, 2011, 08:18 PM
Tell me, as a force in PSO:BB, how would you possibly bind all of your techs to 6 buttons?

I didn't play much Force in PSO.... But you typically don't need every tech equipped at once. D:

For techs... I equipped my attack spells(depending on the area/boss they'd change) + resta to the pallete. Use the spell quick menu(which you could rearrange the order of) for buffs/anti/ryuker/reverser and the like.

EDIT: I should also probably note that I played a Melee FOmar, however.... <.<

kyuuketsuki
Aug 16, 2011, 08:20 PM
Normally this is true, but some games just work better with a controller. PSO and PSU had horrible keyboard controls.This. In PSO Blue Burst playing with a controller was simply way better than using the keyboard controls. I'm still not sure it was really bad keyboard controls, but I always thought it was simply that the game was built from the ground up around a gamepad.

If the keyboard+mouse controls work well in PSO2, it may be feasible to forgo the gamepad. Then again, a gamepad still may work out better. Keyboard+mouse is not better 100% of the time bar none. It depends on the game.

condiments
Aug 16, 2011, 08:26 PM
Well, outside the hot key thing you mentioned, controller was just far easier to use in BB for movement in PC (admittedly, I did not play force, I played casts more than anything, so all I had most of the time were traps and items.) In my case, my keyboard is kind of low as it is, I don't like it that high above my lap. So I was able to just play on a controller and poke the number keys with an index finger if I needed to. For me, ease of character movement is usually the deciding factor in which form of control I go with.

Yeah I'm going to test what I find the most comfortable when I get the game. I haven't played console games for almost half a year due to both my PS3 and Xbawx 360 breaking down(360s 4th time:-(), so I'll rusty with my analogue stick usage.

Being able to hotkey everything to the keyboard might be the deciding factor for me. One of the most annoying things for me in PSO was bringing up the quick menu all the time because the action palette couldn't contain all I needed. Being able to map all the spells and weapons to the buttons around WASD would be awesome if they allow it. It was how I was able to use abilities while strafing, and cycling my camera to gain advantage of players in WoW and break their line of sight. Especially if I end up going a melee caster Fomar(if they still can be built that way).

However, PSO2 is way more action oriented than most online RPGs, so gamepad might be the way to go.

PrinceBrightstar
Aug 16, 2011, 09:20 PM
There may be other ways to do it. Joy2Key allows you to map gamepad buttons to keys on the keyboard. So if there's a useless button that you never use you can map it to a keyboard press instead of 1-0 like the screenshots are showing.

Mekimaru
Aug 17, 2011, 06:39 AM

i wonder, if the game ends up being ported to the 360 or ps3. Does anybody think you could port your char over aswell ? hmmm .. interesting ;p

sorry if this is off topic to the thread

kyuuketsuki
Aug 17, 2011, 11:43 PM
i wonder, if the game ends up being ported to the 360 or ps3. Does anybody think you could port your char over aswell ? hmmm .. interesting ;p

sorry if this is off topic to the threadIf the characters are stored server-side (as they should be), then you should be able to simply sign into your account and access them regardless of platform.

In the unlikely event they do release it for a console, I would bet on the PS3 only. I don't think they want to deal with MS's draconian Xbox Live s*** again.

•Col•
Aug 18, 2011, 12:05 AM
If the characters are stored server-side (as they should be), then you should be able to simply sign into your account and access them regardless of platform.

Not if the 360/PS3 servers would be separate from the PC one. Which is what they probably would be.

So yeah. Very unlikely there are going to be PS3/360 versions of PSO2. EXTREMELY unlikely that there would be PS3/360 versions that allowed you to transfer your characters.

kyuuketsuki
Aug 18, 2011, 03:30 AM
Not if the 360/PS3 servers would be separate from the PC one. Which is what they probably would be.Bah, hate it when I overlook the obvious...