PDA

View Full Version : AMD vs. Intel CPU

KikoPR
Aug 15, 2011, 01:25 PM
Im in the market looking for a good gaming laptop, and i just wanted input on which is better for a better than decent gaming/college comp, AMD or Intel. Please post the pro's and con's of each cpu like "AMD is cheaper, but they tend to get hot and make noise." Thnks in advance!:yes:

Keilyn
Aug 15, 2011, 03:05 PM
Its not about Intel or AMD. Its about exactly what is the top tier game you want to run on the system and then revolving it around work and play with the ability to run the most demanding game you wish to play (and lower.)

Whichever CPU is greater is irrelevent until you post more on what you actually want. Both CPUs and GPU series have their pros and cons...but its called a "Personal Computer" because you have the responsibility of having a system customized for yourself

KodiaX987
Aug 15, 2011, 03:23 PM
It's been a rule of thumb for some time that Intel are preferable for high-end setups, and AMD for more budget ones. However, this is at all times overridden by the following rule: Your Mileage May Vary.

Since you are going for a laptop, you are probably better off looking at the features that come with said laptop, without gravitating too much around the CPU itself. Things like bundled software, hardware (GPU, RAM...), number of plugs available and what for, bundled OS, etc. Same goes for the GPU to an even closer degree. nVidia and AMD top one another off at such a rate that I believe which one you pick up is ultimately negligible. I've personally had good and bad experiences with both makers anyway.

Sinue_v2
Aug 15, 2011, 05:39 PM
Unless you're a power-user, I doubt you're going to really notice much of a difference between an AMD and Intel processor that have similar benchmark performance. Even then, I'd say you'd be better served to pay more attention to your graphics chipset and mobo to see how safe and easy overclocking is, or if it's even possible to begin with.

From my experience, yeah AMD's tend to run a bit hot & dirty, but Intel chips are more prone to counterfeits that slip into the stockrooms of even reputable PC dealers. Since you're going a laptop route, neither of these concerns are probably something you're going to have to worry about, and as others mentioned - you'd be better off basing your purchase on other built-in features.

Kion
Aug 20, 2011, 07:13 AM
Don't know if anyone i still looking at this topic, but I burned my motherboard overclocking a laptop. I was stuck with a brick after that. PC's are relatively easy to swap out parts as needed, but with laptops it's better safe than sorry.

And the question isn't AMD or Intel; it's AMD or nVidia. There aren't very many laptops with AMD cpu's aside from their new fusion platform. Also there really aren't any laptops smaller than 13 inches with good graphics cards. You're pretty much looking at a 15 inch computer with either a dual core pentium or one of the core-i series with either nVidia or Radeon graphics. You can refer to this list to see how the various cards handle games.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html