PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying

Aldotsk
Aug 15, 2011, 08:26 PM
Call me crazy, but I've actually roleplayed on PSU for PC version back then while it was still up. But when this comes out for US (that is if we get it), I intend of playing this game by roleplaying.

Anyone interested in doing so?

Koric
Aug 15, 2011, 08:32 PM
I roleplayed in PSU as well... Heck, I still do it in PSO.

So yes, I do plan on Roleplaying. Its the closest thing to .hack we have anyways. xD

Aldotsk
Aug 15, 2011, 08:34 PM
Dude man, .hack was an awesome thing. I actually had like 25 people who did RP on PSU. It was actually fun. After about a year, we went off our own ways where I moved to WoW afterwards :/.

We should totally find people to get this motivated.

Seth Astra
Aug 15, 2011, 08:35 PM
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: I love to RP, so yes.

Rika-chan
Aug 15, 2011, 08:39 PM
I'm not very good at it, but I might. Depends on what it is.

Koric
Aug 15, 2011, 08:39 PM
How should we go about this then? xD Quick! Someone make us some forums for our PSO2 Roleplaying Group! xD

I'm not very good at it, but I might. Depends on what it is.

On what Roleplaying is? X_X or....

what we're gonna roleplay?

I'm assuming it'll be the storyline. <.< just... first person perspective.

Aldotsk
Aug 15, 2011, 08:48 PM
We could try to base it off as .hack style? Like make offline character and online character.

NoiseHERO
Aug 15, 2011, 08:52 PM
I make all my avatars based on characters I've written about but...

Acting them out... blegh....

I did play as luigi and a friend as mario on sonic's birthday and terrorized him, though.

Koric
Aug 15, 2011, 08:52 PM
Yeah, we can. But then people would have to agree to that. I know some just like having a online character entirely. And mainly use (parentheses) for out of character talk.

Aldotsk
Aug 15, 2011, 09:11 PM
Sadly, the thing about PSO's downside is, the missions get really repetitive and it doesnt have too much open world adventure to allow players to interact within the game environment. Unless they are going to fix for this one.

Koric
Aug 15, 2011, 09:22 PM
Well... they do have lobbies, and I do believe rooms were confirmed. So I'm not to sure either... but the random events and layouts will help the roleplaying, when we are doing a mission...

keeps it from getting as repetitive as PSO.

•Col•
Aug 15, 2011, 10:08 PM
I make all my avatars based on characters I've written about but...

Acting them out... blegh....

I did play as luigi and a friend as mario on sonic's birthday and terrorized him, though.

Oh man, with the new character proportion controls I bet you could make some awesome looking Mario/Luigi clones....

On Topic: I'm sure you'll find people to RP with. I might even be interested myself.

Sord
Aug 15, 2011, 10:21 PM
I typically don't RP that much in game, at least not in the hardcore sense. My characters do have a certain sort of personality in my head, and sometimes I'll make joking quips or taunts within that, but it's not like I'm introducing myself as my character and telling a past history of them or anything.

Malachite
Aug 16, 2011, 01:40 AM
RPing makes me rofl at and sad for the guy at the same time.

just thought i'd throw that little troll bit in.

Koric
Aug 16, 2011, 02:12 AM
Well.. roleplaying isn't for everyone. I do it cause I want to.. I like the community you get from it other than just playing with people to get a rare item, then take off. it lets me get more than my moneys worth cause it adds another layer into the game for me... mind you, this is just my opinion.. I'm not saying hunting for rares is bad, cause I do it all the time, aside from rping. lol.

I'm also not saying non-rpers have bad communities either.. just thought I'd clear that up.

Aldotsk
Aug 16, 2011, 07:49 AM
RPing makes me rofl at and sad for the guy at the same time.

just thought i'd throw that little troll bit in.

You do realize that half of the time when you play MMO, it gets really boring since it's just grinding and leveling and doing same thing over and over again, right?

Roleplaying changes a bit of perspective to that since you actually get to make friends and be a bit more social. Sure it's silly, but it kind of encourages to the enthusiasm to the gaming. Perhaps you should try it.

Anime_Angel
Aug 16, 2011, 08:43 AM
to be honest, I always played PSU like everyone did in .hack// but never over react as if it was a real world lol, I help players and make friends ect^__^

Crazyleo
Aug 16, 2011, 11:21 AM
I too like to RP as my characters. Mostly what I would like to do is write up a character's background as a foundation for possible fan fics I might write up in the future.

Koric
Aug 16, 2011, 11:50 AM
I've always wanted to write up some fanfic for my characters. only problem with that is I get bored of writing after I get done with the background story. lol

game seems much more fluid to.. hopefully not in a bad way. should help with roleplaying. :3

RemiusTA
Aug 16, 2011, 12:05 PM
I would RP, but i would never be able to look at myself in the mirror again.

tehhaxorer
Aug 16, 2011, 01:05 PM
Totally off-topic I know but this brings up a good point-do we have any information on anything open-world? I sure hope so, as previous MMOs have demonstrated that open world environments are really important for MMORPGs in general.

Koric
Aug 16, 2011, 01:34 PM
that and if you can even cal phantasy star online a true mmorpg, since you can only have a group of 4.. even though theres now 12 people stuff, you'll still just be in a group of 4. I personally think it's safe to assume that theres just going to be lobbies again.

they would've announced it already otherwise I would guess.

condiments
Aug 16, 2011, 01:45 PM
Eh, I personally don't think PSO is the best RP game due to its highly instanced nature. Though I wouldn't be the best judge considering I don't RP much myself.

I tried it, but there was something about it I couldn't get into. I'm more interested in gameplay/mechanics.

Malachite
Aug 16, 2011, 05:05 PM
Totally off-topic I know but this brings up a good point-do we have any information on anything open-world? I sure hope so, as previous MMOs have demonstrated that open world environments are really important for MMORPGs in general.

It's not happening, at all, lol. Open world is overrated anyway. There's so many things wrong with it.

Roleplaying changes a bit of perspective to that since you actually get to make friends and be a bit more social. Sure it's silly, but it kind of encourages to the enthusiasm to the gaming. Perhaps you should try it.
I had tried it when I was like 13, and even back then I was like "holy crap, what the HELL am I doing!?" lol.

Zyrusticae
Aug 16, 2011, 05:19 PM
I'm curious why some folks have such a problem with seeing RP as anything other than juvenile.

It's like writing a story cooperatively. When you "play the role" of your character (which you already are just by playing the game, mind you, just on a very shallow level), you're essentially writing for what that character would say (and do, depending on how you handle actions and emotes and such) in any written story. Of course, like all writing, there's huge variances in the level of skill of the participants, which can sometimes make the effort feel wasted - but it's still fun to do, even in a casual sense.

It probably helps to see your character from the third person rather than the first. I, for example, cannot "play" my characters from the first person perspective as it just feels incredibly awkward, not to mention hews rather close to LARPing which I find just goes too far even for someone of my sensibilities. I am not my character, after all - I am me, playing a character I made up. I always stick to the third-person limited narrative mode in my writing, except when I'm writing something that actually, y'know, has to do with me as an individual and not a fictional character I made up. For that matter, I find third-person omniscient to be awkward as well - it's not like I'm somehow able to read your character's mind, y'know. Some things have to be left open to interpretation. Besides, telling people more than they should know will inevitably lead to godmoding, which is just plain irritating.

...Anyways, point is, there is nothing inherently juvenile or pathetic about RPing. It's how you do it that matters.

Malachite
Aug 16, 2011, 05:28 PM
To me, it just seems silly, in the same way that a 20 year old like myself going outside with a friend and seriously pretending to be a Jedi while having a lightsaber battle is silly. Though, I can honestly say I would still probably do that...

I understand it's appeal, but the grown up part of me would never allow me to go through with it without being like 'snickersnickersnickerlolwtf'.

Rizen
Aug 16, 2011, 05:29 PM
True fact: Movies are live action RPs and actors are paid RP'ers. Think about it.

FOkyasuta
Aug 16, 2011, 05:29 PM
To me, it just seems silly, in the same way that a 20 year old like myself going outside with a friend and seriously pretending to be a Jedi is silly.

I understand it's appeal, but the grown up part of me would never allow me to go through with it without being like 'snickersnickersnickerlolwtf'.

Think of it like this,

"There's a time a place for everything."

Zyrusticae
Aug 16, 2011, 05:37 PM
True fact: Movies are live action RPs.
Hehe. I've heard that one before.

It's true, LARPing and acting are really not far removed from one another. Mostly the difference is in the audience and the context. Well, that, and what the general public thinks of as movies generally have budgets in the millions whereas LARPers are generally using homemade props.

Also, quite frankly, a lot of LARPers are terrible, terrible actors. Par for the course, really.

To me, it just seems silly, in the same way that a 20 year old like myself going outside with a friend and seriously pretending to be a Jedi while having a lightsaber battle is silly. Though, I can honestly say I would still probably do that...

But... I just explained...

Oh, fie.

Well. Do you think these guys are silly? I think they're pretty impressive, myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfa-Pa5IQLg

Malachite
Aug 16, 2011, 05:38 PM
lol youtube.

i think you meant flash.

RemiusTA
Aug 16, 2011, 05:50 PM
True fact: Movies are live action RPs and actors are paid RP'ers. Think about it.

There is a clear difference between an actor and an RPer i dont even-

Well. Do you think these guys are silly? I think they're pretty impressive, myself. That is more than impressive. That is exceptional.

EDIT: Wait, i thought that was Ryan vs. Dorkman. Nevermind, never seen those two guys.

Uh, look guys. I have complete and total respect for your hobby. Im not about to act like a complete douche and run up in a Roleplaying topic and start bashing it....But please, please dont try to argue that the "roleplaying" you guys are doing is the same as what Hollywood movie stars or people like Ryan vs Dorkman are doing. It will never fly with anyone, and while they are similar, you cannot put them in the same category because they aren't the same. That's like saying.....well, like saying racing your friends is the same as racing in the olympics. Or fighting with sticks in your backyard is the same as fencing.

I understand where you guys are coming from, but uh, terrible example.

My friends and I will take the Nerf swords off the Toy Isle in Wal-Mart and have full-fledged battles throughout the store. We dont give a fuck because it's hilarious. But that's not the same as LARP. Not in the slightest...

Edit: And about that Ryan vs. Brandon video....it's the same guy from the RvD vid with but a different actor for the opponent. Their camera angles, special effects and choreography are always amazing, but the acting in that one seems alot less rehearsed than any of the RvD videos.

A good difference between Roleplay and videos like that one are the amount of effort put into it, and how well it turns out as a standalone piece of art. There's more to movies than just acting. The difference between RP/LARP and hollywood/RvD is that one is catered to an audience, while the other is catered only to the people participating in the activity. Which is why if you were to ever do it in public, people are going to look at you like you're fucking crazy, and with good reason.

BIG OLAF
Aug 16, 2011, 05:54 PM
I like to roleplay, but not on video games. Only on forums, chat clients, or things of a similar nature.

I find roleplaying on a video game to be a little too in-depth for me. It makes me feel weird.

Zyrusticae
Aug 16, 2011, 05:55 PM
But I'm not trying to argue that they're on the same level.

I'm arguing that they're similar activities on very different scales.

And also that a lot of what passes for typical play is indeed worthy of ridicule because it's so terrible.

RikkiBlackNanobeast
Aug 16, 2011, 06:14 PM
I 'could' get to RPing...but I'd just break the fourth wall a lot and insult myself as jokes. Or act like I'm in .hack://.

Aldotsk
Aug 16, 2011, 06:17 PM
Aside from half of the trolls posting, LARPing and RPing are completely different things.

Porkspect
Aug 16, 2011, 06:20 PM
I'm just looking forward to making a bulky hunewm named 'Thud' so I can act like a belligerent retard.

Totori
Aug 16, 2011, 09:41 PM
Anyone who is interested in RPing in the PS series should join this group. http://www.pso-world.com/forums/group.php?groupid=366

Koric
Aug 17, 2011, 03:01 AM
nice work Totori. Now everyone has a group to join for rp'ing in pso2 when it's released.

Tetsaru
Aug 17, 2011, 04:30 AM
If anything, I may end up remaking my old Geezer T. Dudeface character and old-man-troll people again. :D

"DANGED KIDS WITH YER INTERNET AND YER LASERS, I REMEMBER BACK IN MY DAY ALL WE HAD WAS DIRT AND - " *falls asleep*

Enforcer MKV
Aug 17, 2011, 10:03 AM
*Lol at all the people coming into an RP forum and trolling*

I don't understand why people even waste their time trolling. Seems kinda bad that someone gets their kicks off of messing with other people.

Anyway, on topic: I'd like to RP. Did a little in PSU. I actually write stories on the side, and this is just a way to work out characters. Also, it's fun.

Bet you've never seen an archetypical RAcast smacking other casts around for being Supremecists, eh? XD

That one was great. ^^

Zyrusticae
Aug 17, 2011, 10:58 AM
Aside from half of the trolls posting, LARPing and RPing are completely different things.
Yup.

Most folks who RP don't also LARP. The step between them is huge.

Also, regular RP may not even involve any acting whatsoever - just description, written or vocal. "Teranu scowls and turns away, exhibiting an air of disappointment.", for example, as opposed to acting that out yourself like you would do in LARP.

Enforcer MKV
Aug 17, 2011, 11:59 AM
Yup.

Most folks who RP don't also LARP. The step between them is huge.

Also, regular RP may not even involve any acting whatsoever - just description, written or vocal. "Teranu scowls and turns away, exhibiting an air of disappointment.", for example, as opposed to acting that out yourself like you would do in LARP.

To put it simply - like using the text chat in PSU.

The more you know. :heartcookie:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

FOkyasuta
Aug 17, 2011, 12:03 PM
-Uses it a little to much- I know rite? Just remember when and were to use it and it'll be fine.

Enforcer MKV
Aug 17, 2011, 12:06 PM
-Uses it a little to much- I know rite? Just remember when and were to use it and it'll be fine.

*crosses his arms and leans on this left leg.* "what's that suppose to mean?"

(lol)

FOkyasuta
Aug 17, 2011, 12:12 PM
*Leans on a Nearby wall and twists his head to face him* Well... some people don't really appreciate RPing.

Enforcer MKV
Aug 17, 2011, 12:18 PM
*Waves hand dismissively*

"So? Why hide what you like? We aren't hurting anyone, we aren't dong anything to disturb or distrupt. Why should we be worried what they think?*

FOkyasuta
Aug 17, 2011, 12:21 PM
*Shrugs as his head falls off* Dunno really. But put it this way, What would you rather prefer, A Friend? Or an Enemy?

Enforcer MKV
Aug 17, 2011, 12:27 PM
*Shrugs as his head falls off* Dunno really. But put it this way, What would you rather prefer, A Friend? Or an Enemy?

*Eyes glow slightly brighter for a moment, before jogging after the rolling head. Grabs the head, and hands it back to Hu.* "I'd rather be honest, truth be told. I'm of the opinion that it's better to be true to your self. Being fake with the people around you is just as insulting to them as it is to one's own person."

(The rolling head bit was a nice touch. :lol:)

FOkyasuta
Aug 17, 2011, 12:30 PM
*Takes it* Thanks. *Screws it back on* You do realize,*Waves his right hand left and right* we are giving an Example? *Stops waving and tightens the head*

Enforcer MKV
Aug 17, 2011, 12:31 PM
*Takes it* Thanks. *Screws it back on* You do realize,*Waves his right hand left and right* we are giving an Example? *Stops waving and tightens the head*

"Damn straight! Fun, huh?"

(Sorry, am I getting carried away?)

"Uh".....*cocks his head to the left*....."No, ok, it's on straight."

FOkyasuta
Aug 17, 2011, 12:33 PM
(Lawl i think so.)

True... but it seems like unnecessary spam. Unnecessary fun spam.

Enforcer MKV
Aug 17, 2011, 12:36 PM
(Lawl i think so.)

True... but it seems like unnecessary spam. Unnecessary fun spam.

*cough*

Right, right....sorry everyone!

Anyway, i think I'm gonna go join that RP group on the forum...

*trots off*

EDIT: (Dammit, I did it again! XD)

FOkyasuta
Aug 17, 2011, 12:38 PM
*Falls apart starting with the arms, legs then the head and torso* Told ya its an addiction. x3

Enforcer MKV
Aug 17, 2011, 12:41 PM
*Falls apart starting with the arms, legs then the head and torso* Told ya its an addiction. x3

(......*Twitch-twitch*)

"Ah, phooey!" *Scurries after them frantically* "Pull yourself together, man!"

"Oi - never thought I'd say that and mean it literally!"

(Must be the part of me that is a kid inside and doesn't want to grow up. LONG LIVE IT!)

FOkyasuta
Aug 17, 2011, 12:46 PM
(Lawl had no idea you would react to that. x3)

*Reforms in the same exact order he fell apart in* I should be saying the same thing... *Crosses his arms and gives him a look*

Enforcer MKV
Aug 17, 2011, 12:58 PM
(Lawl had no idea you would react to that. x3)

*Reforms in the same exact order he fell apart in* I should be saying the same thing... *Crosses his arms and gives him a look*

*slips on a round...something that suddenly went under his foot as he tried to grab it*

"......ow."

*Pulls himself up*

"Indeed."

(....ok, we really need to stop. :lol:)

FOkyasuta
Aug 17, 2011, 01:22 PM
(Yeah...)
Hey i got like stuff to do? So liek peace. *Leaves through a Nearby Exit Door*

Enforcer MKV
Aug 17, 2011, 01:33 PM
Thank you for watching this episode of rediculousness theatre.

Have a good day, everyone!

*waves......before his hand falls off.*

".......EEP!"

[SPOILER-BOX]To be continued????? O.o[/SPOILER-BOX]

Sorry, if I actually responded to that I probably would have gotten carried away again. :P

Zyrusticae
Aug 17, 2011, 01:35 PM
Well.

I was wondering why this thread suddenly gained 15 posts when I looked away.

Nice one.

Enforcer MKV
Aug 17, 2011, 01:39 PM
Well, when you're having fun, ya just gotta roll with it. ^^

So long as no one else gets hurt, o'course. :D

Lyric
Aug 17, 2011, 01:40 PM
((I've never actually roleplayed in game before, but I do forum rp's all the time. I'm an admin at a Nintendo/Kirby fansite, and honestly all I do there anymore is lurk in the rp forums. Haha. ))

Keilyn
Aug 18, 2011, 07:41 PM
I've always wondered about the status of PSO and PSU.

The history of MMORPGs and RPGs is a dark one....Back then the Genre was actually made and defined as part of an advertisement to actually attract "geeks and nerds" to play video games. A time existed where if you were growing up and you played video games you were considered to be an introverted geek, nerd or dweeb.

Back in Dungeons and Dragons Day....it also had the same negativity....

Here is an old "The Legend of Zelda" Commercial. wow...Youtube really does have almost everything. This was one from 1986

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoXb7PIJYmA

How about the old Final Fantasy II commercial from the US?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PEgaEZAMa8&feature=related

Of course....I should stop being a cute little bastard about it...I did like the FF III (US Commercial)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d15qmRzn2Pc

When the Genre emerged, the industry called it RolePlaying Games to actually appeal to the widest "Stereotyped" audience of Gamers....Those who played Paperback Roleplaying Games.

Thing is that many people existed including myself who weren't the stereotypical "Geeks, Nerds and Dweebs" then it became very pissy when industry took those terms and said "The true face of the geek is changing" and I was like "ok. please drop all the terminology" when reading newsweek and Time magazine.

Its a fact the first major PC gamers, willing to spend money on games and hardware (along with the education needed to learn to play these games and run DOS) were people with time enough to learn and always were viewed negatively...

Then something happened in 1992...a public announcement was declared that the true face of gaming will be revealed...It appeared a small group was formed and they wanted to create a genre where you controlled your destiny and the action was fast paced. No one cared.....then in 1993 the original doom was released.

This attracted MANY people outside of "dweebs, nerds and geeks" into playing the game..so much so that everything changed and when Final Fantasy 7 was released.....the genre became more Mainstream....No longer were people waiting for 2 good RPGs every year, and had to stay silent. Many more people were talking about these games...

...but still

Even today those labels exist. In Dungeons and Dragons (paperback/tabletop) people did acted out their character and did their impersonations...same in other tabletop roleplaying games.

No one "acts" out their character physically...it happens digitally in MMORPGs...Due to the way MMORPGs cater to a wide population they have fallen under intense scrutiny. Some games don't even have you roleplay characters. You are class and no background or normal story exists...and you simply just play...

A lot of MMORPG gamers online used to play MUDs and other games...

As for PSU..the majority of people treat it as a beat em up action game because that is exactly what it is....a beat em up action game expressed similarly to RPG character generation terms.

There are true roleplayers in the world....they are professional actors and actresses in TV shows and Movies who go 5 - 10 years to school for Theater Arts.

The only reason we call them MMORPGs and RPGs....(which your character in RPGs is part of the world and is part of a story), is simply because the majority of people who play them even in todays standards are placed in a category and scrutinized....If branded under another name, it wouldn't sell.

I do believe it matters a lot....because a lot of MMORPGs out there have NOTHING TO DO with roleplaying at all.....and there are some where we can question exactly and explicitly how to define "massive multiplayed online" and this debate has been trashed around since the beginning.

What WOULD BE GREAT is to finally get a game that has SOMETHING to do with a CHARACTER BEING PART of the world and actually being central to the story and the environment being affected. This is the reason I am after Guild Wars 2......A belief that at least one game can begin a change...

...because right now MMORPG as a genre has improved graphically but overall has actually degenerated a bit in some aspects. In making the games more social, they have destroyed a lot of what drew people to the genre, but in making games truly for a large population it becomes insanely difficult.

The way I see PSO-2 shaping up is that its going to Shape up like PSO and then PSU shaped up....and then by then when its dying or in the dumps....a new game will come and repeat the whole process.

Porkspect
Aug 19, 2011, 12:29 AM
tl;dr

firefiore
Nov 12, 2012, 02:55 PM
I'm always up for some roleplay. If you are interested, look me up on Ship 2 - Aean Meers, and Ship 10 - Regaia

Itchee
Nov 12, 2012, 03:48 PM
I'm always up for some roleplay. If you are interested, look me up on Ship 2 - Aean Meers, and Ship 10 - Regaia

The previous posters were referring to PSU-RP. Nice thread necro, by the way.

Thread is now in reference to PSO2-ERP.
...there, that should close it again.

/thread

[Ayumi]
Nov 13, 2012, 04:49 AM
If you make, play, design the character to look, sound, and act like you.
Is it roleplaying while you're actually your character who portrays you?

Chik'Tikka
Nov 13, 2012, 04:54 AM
;2881536']If you make, play, design the character to look, sound, and act like you.
Is it roleplaying while you're actually your character who portrays you?

yes, consider it like a playback of an autobiography recording in real time+^_^+ you are role playing yourself in a world filled with lazerz and spaceboatz+^_^+

[Ayumi]
Nov 13, 2012, 04:58 AM
yes, consider it like a playback of an autobiography recording in real time+^_^+ you are role playing yourself in a world filled with lazerz and spaceboatz+^_^+

If that's the case, I roleplay 100% of the time I'm on almost any online game I've played, heh.
Mostly Phantasy Star of course as they don't limit me usually in either names or anything.

*Glares at FFXI*