PDA

View Full Version : New Alpha details, title screen

KoNeko1192
Aug 16, 2011, 03:15 PM
Not sure if anyone has posted about this, but new information regarding the client download and additional details regarding the Alpha were posted at http://bumped.org/psublog.

And....a title screen!

http://bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/PSO20957.jpg

(Again, sorry if this has been covered already and I missed it.)

Vashyron
Aug 16, 2011, 03:19 PM
Posted partially in the info thread already.

But hey; http://www.mediafire.com/?qtm4hd7wluktb3n

Main menu music.

tehhaxorer
Aug 16, 2011, 03:25 PM

But hey; http://nicosound.anyap.info/sound/sm15327282

Main menu music.

.....I just had a nerdgasm....

I think half the reason I am excited for this game is the music. I have been listening the hell out of all of the other PSO songs (the theme from pso ep 3 CARD is amazing!!!)

ShadowDragon28
Aug 16, 2011, 03:36 PM
*ignores the waaambulance*

The title screen and menu music is absolutely beautiful and very very PSO-style. I love it!

yoshiblue
Aug 16, 2011, 03:53 PM
Its cool and all but the song....something is off...

SELENNA
Aug 16, 2011, 04:00 PM
Its cool and all but the song....something is off...

Turn your speakers on.

yoshiblue
Aug 16, 2011, 04:07 PM
as oppose to them being off?

NiteShadow
Aug 16, 2011, 04:42 PM
Wow... The music is fantastic.

jayster
Aug 16, 2011, 04:44 PM
it looks like they just photoshopped a 2 onto it lol

EvilMag
Aug 16, 2011, 04:45 PM
"nProtect Gameguard is utilized in the Alpha test version of Phantasy Star Online 2."

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGG!

•Col•
Aug 16, 2011, 04:46 PM
Okay, this has been bothering me a LONG time now... Ever since the announcement video, actually... Does anyone else think the "2" in the logo look out of place?

The red square just looks.... Bad... I assume it's meant to signify the rare item red box, but I just don't like it... Anyone else agree with me?

Anyway, like I said in the info thread, I love the BGM. It actually sounds like a Phantasy Star Online song.

EDIT: And of course as I'm posting it, I get ninja'd with someone who agrees with me.

I feel exactly the same way. When I first saw the logo, it looked like it was just something a fan made....

Vashyron
Aug 16, 2011, 04:50 PM
Haha. I feel the same way, that 2 really does feel off to me. Doesn't look it's it's actually 'part' of the logo.

Zyrusticae
Aug 16, 2011, 04:54 PM
Well, I'm pretty sure it's not just a simple photoshop/copy-paste. Just compare the two side-by-side...

http://psopalace.sylverant.net/images/pso_splash.jpg

I guess the two just doesn't really fit, since it's so heavily contrasted from everything else (black letters with white outlines, and such).

Malachite
Aug 16, 2011, 04:56 PM
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF GAMEGUARD.

Well looks like this game will be failing u.u

gg pso2 ]:

DirksOak
Aug 16, 2011, 05:33 PM
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF GAMEGUARD.

Well looks like this game will be failing u.u

gg pso2 ]:

Y U SO MAD BRO BUTT FLUSTERED ASS REDDED

Malachite
Aug 16, 2011, 05:37 PM
CUZ GAMEGUARD SUX BRO.

Y U SO TROLLIN

RemiusTA
Aug 16, 2011, 05:38 PM
The longer i listen to it the more catchy it is. But not in a "this tune is annoying but something about it" kind of way. Things are looking up so far.

“It is forbidden to disclose information to any outside websites, forums, video sites, twitter, etc.“

Ubwaaaahahahahaha

(lets pray nobody takes this seriously.)

BioWarrior
Aug 16, 2011, 05:40 PM
Okay, this has been bothering me a LONG time now... Ever since the announcement video, actually... Does anyone else think the "2" in the logo look out of place?

The red square just looks.... Bad... I assume it's meant to signify the rare item red box, but I just don't like it... Anyone else agree with me?

Anyway, like I said in the info thread, I love the BGM. It actually sounds like a Phantasy Star Online song.

EDIT: And of course as I'm posting it, I get ninja'd with someone who agrees with me.

I feel exactly the same way. When I first saw the logo, it looked like it was just something a fan made....

OBVIOUSLY they're trying to copy the mass effect logo :p

On a serious note. Look at the mass effect 2 logo's 2. It's oddly similar

Malachite
Aug 16, 2011, 05:41 PM
It really is lol.

BIG OLAF
Aug 16, 2011, 05:44 PM
How exactly do you watch the video? It's not working for some reason.

Malachite
Aug 16, 2011, 05:45 PM
What video?

BIG OLAF
Aug 16, 2011, 05:50 PM
Whatever it is. I don't know what to click.

Sord
Aug 16, 2011, 05:51 PM
The first hint we got that PSO2 was coming, the logo with the red two, I thought someone was trolling the forums with a terrible photoshop. Much to my surprise I found out it was totally legit.

yoshiblue
Aug 16, 2011, 05:54 PM
I'll just wait until someone makes an eight planet version of the PSO's Ragol title screen.

Malachite
Aug 16, 2011, 06:04 PM
Whatever it is. I don't know what to click.

Do you mean the music player?

GCoffee
Aug 16, 2011, 06:04 PM
I like the logo.

BIG OLAF
Aug 16, 2011, 06:11 PM
Do you mean the music player?

I guess? Can you please tell me how to listen to the track? That's what I'm asking.

Ezodagrom
Aug 16, 2011, 06:16 PM
I guess? Can you please tell me how to listen to the track? That's what I'm asking.
This link? http://nicosound.anyap.info/sound/sm15327282

Just press the triangle "play" button. o_o;

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/2517/pso2music.jpg

BIG OLAF
Aug 16, 2011, 06:43 PM
The "Play" button isn't on the page when I load it up.

Malachite
Aug 16, 2011, 06:49 PM
That happens to me too, but refreshing fixes it. Try that I guess? Maybe clear your cache/cookies.

NoiseHERO
Aug 16, 2011, 07:06 PM
The song is okay... It feels kinda dry or... emotionless or something...

But it's fine for a title screen, and I'm assuming there's hints of parts from other music that will be in the game in there too. Some of those parts already sound kinda catchy...

Otherwise yeah it fits an empty title screen.

The music they've been using in the trailer I don't like at all though...

So waiting for something really good before I can say "ALRIGHT THIS GAMES MUSIC IS NOT GONNA GET ANNOYING AFTER 2 WEEKS!"

Sord
Aug 16, 2011, 07:09 PM
I honestly can't remember any of PSUs music outside the terrible rock opening. Maybe I had it on silent a lot because I did Skype/Vent calls so much, or maybe it just wasn't that memorable.

Malachite
Aug 16, 2011, 07:09 PM
It wasn't memorable. It was one of the most awful aspects about PSU.

NoiseHERO
Aug 16, 2011, 07:11 PM
As for PSO2 again...

The more I hear this loop...

Feels more and more like they were just trying to copy PSO as hard as possible...

Then came close...

Or then again I think 70% of PSO's soundtrack is overrated to maybe it's just me...

BIG OLAF
Aug 16, 2011, 07:21 PM
The only good songs in PSU were "Floaders" and "Vibe: The End of Planets" All the other ones were completely dry and uncreative.

The PSP2/i songs, on the other hand, are almost all fantastic. I have the 2-disc OST for PSP2, and I love it.

Malachite
Aug 16, 2011, 07:23 PM
I honestly think The End Of Planets was one of the most hilariously bad tracks in the game, in name in and actual song.

Sord
Aug 16, 2011, 07:24 PM
I just hope for the love of gaming they take out the fucking menu bleeps/sfx. Good lord those are so obnoxious.

Malachite
Aug 16, 2011, 07:31 PM
You want a completely silent menu...? That's pretty weird. I can't think of any games like that.

BioWarrior
Aug 16, 2011, 07:34 PM
I love menu bleeps and sfx. And I think custom tracks on games are a crime, especially when the music is amazing.

Malachite
Aug 16, 2011, 07:36 PM
Fully agree there. I love allll the sound effects in PSO, especially the 'someone is joining the game' sound.

Sienna
Aug 16, 2011, 07:37 PM
"nProtect Gameguard is utilized in the Alpha test version of Phantasy Star Online 2."

:yes:

Selphea
Aug 16, 2011, 08:04 PM
Any news on whether non-Forces (including Casts) can use techs?

BioWarrior
Aug 16, 2011, 08:08 PM
I forget why gameguard is bad, I just remember it's a pain and a resource hog.

kyuuketsuki
Aug 16, 2011, 08:17 PM
I forget why gameguard is bad, I just remember it's a pain and a resource hog.Because it's a pain and a resource hog and manages to do a crap job at preventing game exploitation all at the same time.

Tetsaru
Aug 17, 2011, 04:17 AM
The "Play" button isn't on the page when I load it up.

I don't see it either... I tried refreshing the page, but this is what I keep getting:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j194/tetsaru/derp.jpg

As you can see, the thumbnail image where the PSO2 logo should be has a black background and white Japanese text on it. When I click on it, it plays a black video with about 20 seconds of crappy recorder flute music with some Japanese chick talking, followed by silence for the remaining 6 minutes or so... o_o;

WhatisthisIdon'teven.jpg

Masterflower
Aug 17, 2011, 04:34 AM
My guess is it was remove. I still have it on account that I haven't refresh the page and use Hibernation to turn off my laptop lol.

PrinceBrightstar
Aug 17, 2011, 06:53 AM
Is Air on the G string playing? If so I believe it's saying...

Thank you for accessing Nico Nico Douga today. We are deeply sorry to inform you that this video is subject to copyright infringement. With this allegation, it cannot be allowed to be posted here. We hope to serve you again in the future.

LuckyDay
Aug 17, 2011, 06:59 AM
I absolutely love the title screen and the music that goes with it. It reminds me a lot of the Spaceship area which is one of my favourite PSO tunes. It's quite special. So far, so good. I'm happy with everthing I've seen.

I know I might sound a bit silly, but does anyone know where I can download the alpha version ? I'd like to see the title screen with my own eyes :D

Cheers.

DC_PLAYER
Aug 17, 2011, 08:03 AM
video/music got removed i believe
Uploaded it on youtube btw

Mekimaru
Aug 17, 2011, 08:23 AM

Whats up with nProtect Gameguard?

McLaughlin
Aug 17, 2011, 08:30 AM
It installs a rootkit without your permission and anyone with Notepad can break it.

moorebounce
Aug 17, 2011, 09:18 AM

Wrong thread for that.......Don't you think?

Sienna
Aug 17, 2011, 10:24 AM
A bit late for saying that

SELENNA
Aug 17, 2011, 10:24 AM

They never learn

Wiz10011
Aug 17, 2011, 11:19 AM
They never learn

So I never used a game with Gameguard except that gunbound years ago.

if it's so bad why don't they just do a massive update to fix it? or is it gameguard just doesn't care if they provide good security only want money?

Rizen
Aug 17, 2011, 11:54 AM
Gameguard's protection is laughable at best and causes a long long list of issues for players who are trying to actually access the game. The slightest imbalance on your system can trigger Gameguard to crash your game and prevent it from loading.

Joke goes Gameguard keeps hackers in and users out.

Shinji Kazuya
Aug 17, 2011, 12:46 PM

Main menu music.

Thanks Vashyron!

Aumi
Aug 17, 2011, 01:58 PM
Loving the title screen music. If the rest of the game stays true to that style, I will love it.

Shinji Kazuya
Aug 17, 2011, 02:01 PM
So true! I still watch the very first video mostly 'cause of the music!

DC_PLAYER
Aug 17, 2011, 02:40 PM
Gameguard's protection is laughable at best and causes a long long list of issues for players who are trying to actually access the game. The slightest imbalance on your system can trigger Gameguard to crash your game and prevent it from loading.

Joke goes Gameguard keeps hackers in and users out.

That was actually one of my ideas to them, i guess the idea was discarded and they kept the gameguard, god only knows the problems it game on pso bb lol.

I would like to make a request, if someone here is getting the alpha, to install the game and then transfer me the instalation files, my objective is not to play the game, but to see what the game is made off, so i can see some images, textures and stuff.

relentless
Aug 17, 2011, 04:50 PM
The titlescreen music is fine, nothing special. Same goes for the titlescreen itself. GameGuard isn't a good sign but this just means to cool down any expectations and then be overly satisfied by ordinary stuff. And nerdgasm about the more awesome stuff. That's a plan, yep.

Masterflower
Aug 17, 2011, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Vashyron http://www.pso-world.com/forums/images/bluesteel/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2671808#post2671808)

Main menu music.

Thanks Vashyron!

Lol thats actually my link but hey, the song is for everyone. :D

Shinji Kazuya
Aug 17, 2011, 05:09 PM
Lol thats actually my link but hey, the song is for everyone. :D

I see! O:

Well then: Thanks a lot, Masterflower! :wacko:

Masterflower
Aug 17, 2011, 05:16 PM
I see! O:

Well then: Thanks a lot, Masterflower! :wacko:

Yeah his original link was removed. I couldnt let others be denied the right to hear this lovely title screen theme :3

BlackCosmic
Aug 17, 2011, 06:01 PM
The "Title Screen" bgm sounds like something that would've been in PSO,but here's wondering will they have a track like "whole new world" with actual singing.

NoiseHERO
Aug 17, 2011, 06:11 PM
I hope not...

I mean they probably will.

But I hope not.

SEGA hires horrible singers...

Vashyron
Aug 17, 2011, 06:24 PM
Well they already are heading in the PSO direction with the Space Whale synth pads and what not, I see them making the theme with actual singing.

(All versions of PSO/U had actual singing in their theme anyway.)

Angelo
Aug 17, 2011, 06:25 PM
I hope not...

But I hope not.

SEGA always nails music. I don't know what you're talking about.

Aside from the vocal tracks in Sonic games that weren't written by the game's musicians, they never disappoint.

NoiseHERO
Aug 17, 2011, 06:29 PM
SEGA always nails music. I don't know what you're talking about.

Aside from the vocal tracks in Sonic games that weren't written by the game's musicians, they never disappoint.

I don't know what you're talking about...

You JUST said yourself "Aside from the Vocal tracks in sonic games." o_o

I said SEGA hires horrible singers...

IMO this is noticeable in ALL of their games The sonic team/Post sonic team ones at least. I don't pay attention to their other crap, since jet set radio is dead...

BlackCosmic
Aug 17, 2011, 06:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wciwo4ShDOY

-^I hated this song...no feeling at all very dry-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rGmnty6HCk&feature=related

^ An upgrade since the last Op song IMO..It made me want to whoop ass:D.

Shinji Kazuya
Aug 17, 2011, 06:58 PM
Music in SEGA games is always great! From Sonic to PSO there's always great soundtracks and great theme songs!

T_Esquire
Aug 17, 2011, 07:04 PM
No, Sega doesn't hire horrible singers, they hire the WRONG singers. They keep hiring English singers when they should be hiring Japanese singers. That and they should stop writing songs in English. That's another BIG problem.

NoiseHERO
Aug 17, 2011, 07:07 PM
No, Sega doesn't hire horrible singers, they hire the WRONG singers. They keep hiring English singers when they should be hiring Japanese singers. That and they should stop writing songs in English. That's another BIG problem.

NOpe singers are still horrible...

And who knows with japanese singers...

Maybe you just don't know the singers are bad because it's in japanese, so it just sounds like extra instruments, or for other people who are weaboos will eat it up regardless.

I dunno if half of you developed a music taste that strong yet, but if you ask me, if you were to add japanese vocals instead of english vocals to all the songs in PSU, they'd still sound horrible to me. Especially the AOI opening.

Vashyron
Aug 17, 2011, 07:16 PM
I also liked the Aoti version of Save this world much more. (Personally though, Go Infinity remix of Ignite Infinity was probably my favorite PS game theme so far.)

Though problem I found lately is the songs are seemingly becoming 'Engrish.'

NoiseHERO
Aug 17, 2011, 07:20 PM
Eww... e_e;

NB4 nobody likes real meta-AH who cares...

As long as there's not any or at least too many crappy english vocal'd songs in PSO2... e_e

Or else they make as well autotune it without shame like sonic colors...

Little Misha
Aug 17, 2011, 07:36 PM
KAJSDHFKWJHGSRFD.
I'm so excited!

;________________________________;

Shinji Kazuya
Aug 17, 2011, 07:58 PM
Ahah! We all are, Misha. :wacko:

lostinseganet
Aug 17, 2011, 09:45 PM
Neural Impulse Actuator or emotiv epoc. I wonder what advantages it could do for a force...(^_^)

http://www.emotiv.com/

Serephim
Aug 17, 2011, 10:18 PM

PSO Ep.I and Ep.II's ending themes were wonderful. I love the lyrics to Episode 1's themesong.

PSU's themes, on the other hand....

Sinue_v2
Aug 17, 2011, 10:22 PM
Phantasy Star Universe OP - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wciwo4ShDOY)

-^I hated this song...no feeling at all very dry-

PSU Illuminus OP - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rGmnty6HCk&feature=related)

^ An upgrade since the last Op song IMO..It made me want to whoop ass:D.

Neither of those songs is any good. They both feel like they were written and composed in a boardroom, and their lyrics (while appropriate to the tone of the game) are too light and confident for a Phantasy Star title. This underscores the lack of compelling atmosphere endemic to the rest of the game.

To a degree, I like the PSP2i opening better, at least until the refrain (around 0:40) where it takes a nosedive into the same trap of crappy upbeat overconfident "we're here to save the day" fluff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwy5eOfgtts

For a portable side game, Phantasy Star Zero had a pretty soothing and enjoyable opening song... at least in Japan. The lyrics may or may not be the same fluffy power of the heart crap as found in PSU, but at least I can't understand it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sAXlqIPlZg&feature=related

Nitro Vordex
Aug 17, 2011, 10:29 PM
I hope not...

But I hope not.

Have you listened to "A Whole New World" in PSO or are you just being dumb as usual?

•Col•
Aug 17, 2011, 10:37 PM
To a degree, I like the PSP2i opening better, at least until the refrain (around 0:40) where it takes a nosedive into the same trap of crappy upbeat overconfident "we're here to save the day" fluff.

That's PSP2's intro.

This is PSP2i's intro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtS4lKBgv6U

I feel like it's a little better.

NoiseHERO
Aug 17, 2011, 10:38 PM
Have you listened to "A Whole New World" in PSO or are you just being dumb as usual?

Yeah it sounded like typical 70's j-pop mixed with some discovery channel documentary crap sung by some random chick taken from some college studio.

Sorry if that makes me dumb for not liking it "because it was from PSO" or some shit? @_@

Or is this just like...

Bad sarcasm or something.

Masterflower
Aug 17, 2011, 11:13 PM
>_> I like all the PSU/PSP openings except the very first opening theme when you played as Ethan.

Living Universe >> Ignite Infinity >> For a Brighter Day >> Save The World v-Mix >> Save The World Remix is the order from Most favorite to favorite. O.o;

Idk what kind of so call "High Quality" song you guys are lookin for but I think these themes were just fine to me.

kyuuketsuki
Aug 17, 2011, 11:35 PM
I'm not sure what the point of arguing about the music is. Music taste is about as 100% subjective as it gets. I loved pretty much all the music in PSO; some others may be expecting, I dunno... something else?

But, just because the singer isn't to your taste doesn't mean they're some random college student. It's a cultural thing; they (in general) look for different qualities in their singers than we might (whether you're American or European). Though with regards to Whole New World, I don't even see where that would come in.

Nitro Vordex
Aug 17, 2011, 11:37 PM
My bad, more 80's

To me, it just sounds like this...

80s Japanese Singers ????????, 80s jpop 1/2 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udp5ndbWT3c&feature=related)

But sung in english.

To lion king music or someshit.

Otherwise AT LEAST tell me why the song is legitimately good... to your tastes.

Not you though, zyru, nobody likes you.
You must have absolutely no ear for music then, if you think it sounds like that.

The reason I use Whole New World as a good example for the music choice in PSO is because of the atmosphere it projects. It's not really just about the lyrics and the English singer(who, by the way, has a great voice, despite what you think), but about how the music itself shows a new push into a place unknown. They(Pioneer 2) have had to travel for years to get to where they are now, and now that they're there, on this strange planet that just might save them, events are taking place and making everyone uneasy. They're unsure what this planet will hold for them, if it will save them or end them.

It's a very spacey sound, yet it still sounds of ambiance that would be found on a planet with abundant life and environments.

There's a couple other songs like that, like in the ending themes for Episodes I and II, but I don't remember entirely what they sound like off the top of my head. I honestly didn't listen to those much. There's another one with a piano and a woman singing, which is really good as well.

I looked away from my monitor, so I completely forgot what I was gonna say after this. :wacko:

AnnabellaRenee87
Aug 17, 2011, 11:38 PM

Main menu music.

ZOMG the music may not suck like PSU.

NoiseHERO
Aug 17, 2011, 11:56 PM
You must have absolutely no ear for music then, if you think it sounds like that.

The reason I use Whole New World as a good example for the music choice in PSO is because of the atmosphere it projects. It's not really just about the lyrics and the English singer(who, by the way, has a great voice, despite what you think), but about how the music itself shows a new push into a place unknown. They(Pioneer 2) have had to travel for years to get to where they are now, and now that they're there, on this strange planet that just might save them, events are taking place and making everyone uneasy. They're unsure what this planet will hold for them, if it will save them or end them.

It's a very spacey sound, yet it still sounds of ambiance that would be found on a planet with abundant life and environments.

There's a couple other songs like that, like in the ending themes for Episodes I and II, but I don't remember entirely what they sound like off the top of my head. I honestly didn't listen to those much. There's another one with a piano and a woman singing, which is really good as well.

I looked away from my monitor, so I completely forgot what I was gonna say after this. :wacko:

Just because it fits doesn't mean it's all that great, and it definitely doesn't mean I have to like it.

Either way I still think the vocals are corny. I'd rather have just an orchestra or instrumental or latin lyrics or something.

"It's spacey and it fits and it goes with the atmosphere

On a professional, It's "good" talented even.

In terms of how it fits, yeah sure.

But in terms of having the song on my MP3 player, and telling my friends "this is a beautiful song you should be listening to this" Noooooooo.......

The only thing that doesn't bug me is that unlike PSU you don't have to hear it before you button mash the start button.

I mean OBVIOUS I'm just saying it's not my taste in music. But I seriously doubt you guys are running on youtube daily to look for music that sounds like "that opening theme from PSO." And even with your reason for liking it, it still mostly sounds like "It's a genius track because it came with the pso atmosphere package" to me.

So I can't feel like the badguy with me not liking it, for well... not liking it. And then you guys are sounding like you love it... just because it fit PSO's atmosphere well...

Angelo
Aug 18, 2011, 12:01 AM
ZOMG the music may not suck like PSU.

smh...

Yeah it sounded like typical 70's j-pop mixed with some discovery channel documentary crap sung by some random chick taken from some college studio.

Sorry if that makes me dumb for not liking it "because it was from PSO" or some shit? @_@

Or is this just like...

Bad sarcasm or something.

I'm not crazy about the song either. Actually, I love the song to death but it's mainly due to nostalgia. If I heard the song in a game recently I'd be like "It's okay."

Sounds nothing like 70's j-pop or whatever point you're trying to make. If anything that's more like the vocal version of "Save This World", which I loved. But I also love SonicTeam's gratuitous use of cheese (Burning Rangers theme, NiGHTS vocal themes, Sonic music, etc.)

Regardless though, they're going to have to think of a pretty damn good credits thing. No game has ever come close to "World With Me".

Sord
Aug 18, 2011, 01:33 AM
I'd probably get slaughtered for saying I think the cheesiness of Crush 40 is fantastic. But whatevs, haters gunna hate (I'll just be doin my own hatin on those portable openings, ouph, all sound like terribly generic anime openings.)

That said, not saying I'd want Crush 40 in PSO2, atmospheres would be a bit at conflict. Though maybe a special event quest or something.

Serephim
Aug 18, 2011, 02:13 AM
The first 2 sonic adventure themes, and What Im Made Of is all 400% win

Them other ones though...they started falling off after awhile

Nitro Vordex
Aug 18, 2011, 03:25 AM
Forgot I had this tab open. Refreshing thread 6 hours later.

Just because it fits doesn't mean it's all that great, and it definitely doesn't mean I have to like it.

Either way I still think the vocals are corny. I'd rather have just an orchestra or instrumental or latin lyrics or something.
I'm not going to disagree with you there. It's rather cheesy, but then again so was everything in the early 00's.

"It's spacey and it fits and it goes with the atmosphere

On a professional, It's "good" talented even.

In terms of how it fits, yeah sure.

But in terms of having the song on my MP3 player, and telling my friends "this is a beautiful song you should be listening to this" Noooooooo.......
Well, no. It's video game music, I hardly have anyone listen to my video game music. But agreeing with Siya, I love Crush 40's cheesyness, and I actually regularly listen to them.

The only thing that doesn't bug me is that unlike PSU you don't have to hear it before you button mash the start button.

I mean OBVIOUS I'm just saying it's not my taste in music. But I seriously doubt you guys are running on youtube daily to look for music that sounds like "that opening theme from PSO." And even with your reason for liking it, it still mostly sounds like "It's a genius track because it came with the pso atmosphere package" to me.

So I can't feel like the badguy with me not liking it, for well... not liking it. And then you guys are sounding like you love it... just because it fit PSO's atmosphere well...
Well there's a couple songs I do listen to, mostly just the title music though. Plus I kinda love the title, "A Song for Eternal Story". Growl, From the Depths of Earth is a good one. From Seeing the Rough Wave is really cool sounding. The Crazy Program and You Have Nowhere to Go are both pretty nice. Honestly, I thought Falz's themes were lackluster.

Sord
Aug 18, 2011, 05:37 AM
The first 2 sonic adventure themes, and What Im Made Of is all 400% win

Them other ones though...they started falling off after awhile

I've listened to them a lot outside of the Sonic games though, actual full album releases and what have you (granted, most of their songs were featured in one game or another.) They are all just as cheesy. The lead singer also has another band he's been doing since way before Crush 40, Hardline. Also very cheesy, but late 80s early 90s hard rock mostly, not so fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZYLhIP4XYk

Nitro Vordex
Aug 18, 2011, 01:08 PM
Oh god, is that really Johnny Gioeli? The voice definitely matches. I may need to find these albums for Hardline. Hell, the whole style matches Crush 40. I have their Thrill of the Feel album, and I used to have the Crush 40 album with the songs from a Nascar game. Listening to them outside the Sonic games is very rewarding, as they can hold themselves without a video game.

Ohgod it's so cheesy. I love it.

R10T
Aug 23, 2011, 08:58 AM
Yeah the music was awesome...LOL.(actually listening to it now..^_^)

Noel Vermillion
Aug 23, 2011, 09:19 AM
Am I the only one who found Eggman's theme in SA2 amazing because it was so unintentionally hilarious? ;p

•Col•
Aug 23, 2011, 01:26 PM
Am I the only one who found Eggman's theme in SA2 amazing because it was so unintentionally hilarious? ;p

I loved it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWiSEyU76M4&feature=related

Vashyron
Aug 23, 2011, 01:30 PM
I am the Eggman, I got the master plan. :wacko:

Really liked it as well for what it was.

FOkyasuta
Aug 23, 2011, 01:46 PM
Ah memories.

Serephim
Aug 23, 2011, 02:09 PM
i secretly loved Tails' theme from Sonic Adventure 1. Sounded so great.

And then SA2 came and %*#$'d it all up. 100% homo.

Aumi
Aug 23, 2011, 02:12 PM
Crush 40 makes some great music if you ask me. I personally love "Live and Learn" from Sonic Adventure 2 and "Open Your Heart" from Sonic Adventure, as well as quite a few other songs from those games.

(I'll just be doin my own hatin on those portable openings, ouph, all sound like terribly generic anime openings.)

I got to say, by far most anime openings I know are nowhere near as cheesy and generic...

By the way, yeah, E.G.G.M.A.N. is an awesome song, as cheesy as the text may be! xD

Vashyron
Aug 23, 2011, 02:29 PM
i secretly loved Tails' theme from Sonic Adventure 1. Sounded so great.

And then SA2 came and %*#$'d it all up. 100% homo.

I also loved the SA version, I don't even remember the SA2 one despite playing SA2 much more than SA and man now I know why I forgot it, I really dislike what they did there.

cyanprime
Aug 23, 2011, 02:45 PM
I WANNA FLY HIGH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtNTfiGteKg

SELENNA
Aug 23, 2011, 03:10 PM
Do we know if it "freezes" when another player joins a party? Always hated it in current PSO games. Hope it's seamless just like in a shooter.

Hrith
Aug 23, 2011, 03:28 PM
Do we know if it "freezes" when another player joins a party? Always hated it in current PSO games. Hope it's seamless just like in a shooter.PSU had already fixed this. Games are not hosted by the team leader like in PSO, there is no need to load anything for other characters.

Kent
Aug 23, 2011, 09:12 PM
PSU had already fixed this. Games are not hosted by the team leader like in PSO, there is no need to load anything for other characters.
Games were not hosted by the team leader in PSO. The loading pause was done because the character generation system had to pre-assemble the character from its parameters before creating the player object, which was streamlined in PSU to happen in parallel.

The loading pause when a character joined a game in the PSO games had another purpose: The game was originally designed to be played on the Dreamcast's included 33.6k modem - meaning that, at the time, character creation data was quite substantial for dial-up connections, and that time was needed for both transferring character data and building the character object from it in the game engine.

Hrith
Aug 23, 2011, 10:11 PM
Uh, no, the team leader hosted the game in PSO DC and GC, since the characters, items and damage were not server-side, but client-side.
That was easy to verify many ways; if the team leader had crappy connection, everyone would lag; low ping to your country, you'd lag; items dropped by monster appeared where the monster were killed on the team leader's screen, sometimes quite far from you.

Also, only the first version of the Japanese Dreamcast had a 33k modem, the EU and US ones always had a 56k one.

Kent
Aug 24, 2011, 10:24 PM
Uh, no, the team leader hosted the game in PSO DC and GC, since the characters, items and damage were not server-side, but client-side.
That was easy to verify many ways; if the team leader had crappy connection, everyone would lag; low ping to your country, you'd lag; items dropped by monster appeared where the monster were killed on the team leader's screen, sometimes quite far from you.
Team Leader != Host. Team leader is just the playerID that's been in the game longest, and thus, the server treats it as the "most trusted" client, because it's that particular game instance's "owner," but it is not the server.

These claims of client latency being based on the team leader aren't accurate, and things like enemy deaths being considered to happen where the leader's client says they happened are not evidence of the game being hosted by a player. The server itself does not store data on the locations and behaviors of enemies within a specific game instance, only storing their status (alive, dead, triggered, etc.). This is why clients lose sync with each other, due to differences in AI decisions between clients. However, since the server doesn't have data on where enemies are, and they die, it has to decide where it is based on where the most trusted client says, and decide what drops there.

Of course, for the most-damning evidence against things simply being hosted client-side, are you aware of how host migration works in games? It's the process of the game's host leaving the session, and the software choosing amongst the clients, which one gets to be the new host.

Long story short: It's not a smooth transition, even in the best-engineered games we have that do this (Halo: Reach does it pretty well, but there's still a massive hiccup and a good ten-second delay during migration). If PSO were doing this, then when the oldest playerID leaves the game, there'd be a similar massive hiccup where the game changes which client is the host. Considering that this does not happen at all in any of the PSO games, having a completely smooth and uninterrupted gameplay experience when the supposed "host" leaves, and we can't honestly assume that Sonic Team was writing better netcode eleven years ago than seasoned netcoding specialists are today... It's pretty clear that saying PSO hosted games locally is just absurd.

Besides, if that were truly the case, then we wouldn't actually need the server in the first place in order to play with others online. You could easily ask the Dreamcast private server developer about it, if you need more evidence.

Also, only the first version of the Japanese Dreamcast had a 33k modem, the EU and US ones always had a 56k one.
...And PSO was designed to have minimalistic-enough netcode to be played on the initial hardware.

ELO-ELO
Aug 28, 2011, 10:42 PM
Is this game gonna have Special Weapons maybe?

Dinosaur
Aug 28, 2011, 11:27 PM
Is this game gonna have Special Weapons maybe?

This is PSO. "Special Weapons" is the biggest understatement ever.

yoshiblue
Aug 29, 2011, 12:03 AM
I like the PSO theme. I think PSP had the best intro and theme out of the 5 PSU games.

Serephim
Aug 29, 2011, 12:33 AM
They were all trash IIRC.

Everyone seems to like infinity's opening, but it was trash too. In fact i hated it more than PSP2's intro. So ridiculously cheesy.

It's like "cheesy tropey everything people hate about anime" was the sheer theme of Phantasy Star Universe.

Ark22
Aug 29, 2011, 07:51 AM
I believe Phantasy star Portable had a good opening. I liked the digital detailless people :3

hewitt
Aug 29, 2011, 11:29 AM
They were all trash IIRC.

Everyone seems to like infinity's opening, but it was trash too. In fact i hated it more than PSP2's intro. So ridiculously cheesy.

It's like "cheesy tropey everything people hate about anime" was the sheer theme of Phantasy Star Universe.

I thought infinity's was ridiculous too. Blah blah blah infinity~~~~~~~ Everything infinity~~~~ Infinity infinity~~~~~ Infinity!~

Randomness
Aug 29, 2011, 02:44 PM
I WANNA FLY HIGH!
Sonic Adventure-Tails I wanna fly high - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtNTfiGteKg)

That song is so appropriate for Tails.

Ogni-XR21
Aug 29, 2011, 02:55 PM

FYI all PAL Dreamcast were shipped with 33k modems.

Hrith
Aug 29, 2011, 03:08 PM
I live in France, that is incorrect.

ELO-ELO
Aug 29, 2011, 04:35 PM
This is PSO. "Special Weapons" is the biggest understatement ever.

So that's a yes? :blush:

DarK-SuN
Aug 29, 2011, 09:06 PM
FYI all PAL Dreamcast were shipped with 33k modems.
I'm from Portugal and I got a 56k modem with my Dreamcast.

Wayu
Aug 29, 2011, 10:02 PM
Non-Mediafire link to the track, please? :3

-Wayu