PDA

View Full Version : DOTA 2 Premier Championship Tourney

Sord
Aug 17, 2011, 03:20 AM
For those of you in the MOBA genre, you've no doubt heard about Valve's $1,000,000 grand prize championship for the public reveal of DOTA2. It's started!

http://dota2.com/tournaments/international/?q=sd&c=English

1st place: $1,000,000 USD
2nd place: $250,000 USD
3rd place: $150,000 USD
4th place: $80,000 USD
5th place: $35,000 USD
6th place: $35,000 USD
7th place: $25,000 USD
8th place: $25,000 USD

Lot a cash up for grabs for the pro-gamers tonight!

Update 1: Seems the streams and game are having some bandwidth/disconnect issues. Possibly all on one major line connected to whatever building, and it just can't meet the demand. I dunno, but currently we're just staring at a placeholder screen.

Update 2: Back up and running, but it appears the commentating has ceased. Not complaining.

Update 3: More down time :/ Not including the down times, the first match has gone well over an hour now. If this keeps up, will be interesting to see what they'll do about their schedule. The tourney is a double elimination format, and there was supposed to be an expected 7 hours of play today. If this keeps up, might have to extend that to stay on schedule.

SpikeOtacon
Aug 17, 2011, 03:56 AM
Love the way this stream is. The live scoreboard updating, information on each character by each player, it's all really nice and makes spectating the stream that much more exciting.

Though this lag the players are having is hilarious. Not the best way to show the game off to start with 8)

The Daltony
Aug 19, 2011, 03:00 PM
Love the way this stream is. The live scoreboard updating, information on each character by each player, it's all really nice and makes spectating the stream that much more exciting.

Though this lag the players are having is hilarious. Not the best way to show the game off to start with 8)

No kidding. I can't count how many times they've had to pause matches for 3 or more minutes.

Also, what kind of awful audio equipment are the announcers using? I've heard better quality on twitch.tv game streams.

Also also also: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/17/dota-2-beta-starting-soon-game-launch-targeted-for-this-year/

Zyrusticae
Aug 19, 2011, 03:21 PM
I'm soooo unimpressed.

It really is, quite literally, a straight port of DotA to Source. Absolutely nothing interesting about it aside from that.

Watching these games has made me really appreciate just how much LoL has advanced the genre, despite what naysayers might say.

BIG OLAF
Aug 19, 2011, 07:10 PM
A million dollars just for winning a video game tournament? Damn. It would be awesome to compete in tournaments for prizes, but I pretty much suck at every competitive game I play.

Sord
Aug 19, 2011, 10:10 PM
Have to admit, I wound up swapping to LoL tournaments today. CLG did great this morning, definitely going to be watching the next round of games tomorrow