PDA

View Full Version : Enemy Syncing

Angelo
Aug 19, 2011, 05:01 AM
Do we have any confirmation on whether or not all of the enemy positions are synced server-side as opposed to client side?

This is a make-or-break issue for me!

From PSO onward the game has always worked like this: All enemy positions are synced client-side. Damage dealt to the enemy is the only thing that is universal for all people playing. This was not a problem in PSO since characters moved almost 'stiffly', and players couldn't flip around enemies, send them flying away, etc. This became an issue in PSU because they were still using this archaic method with an updated combat system where knocking around enemies was very dynamic. This lead to some ridiculous looking battles where you'd notice your buddy off in the corner slashing at the air, while the enemy being damaged was on the other side of the room, flinching and spazzing out while damage numbers flashed.

It was stated in a developer's blog that the only exception to this rule was boss battles, in this case the boss was synced to whatever was on the party leader's screen.

Is anyone else even concerned about this? I don't see it mentioned here much but it was probably the worst part of PSU to me. It seems like a team can't be genuinely using teamwork when your enemies aren't even together. You can't play bodyguard, or knock an enemy over to a teammate's direction for a double-attack. Things like that would make this game so much more dynamic!!!

Consider that now you can actually throw enemies in PSO2. This could get ugly.

Serephim
Aug 19, 2011, 05:13 AM
Throwing an enemy will most likely automatically re-sync them. To be honest, you shouldn't expect 1:1 syncing.

The reason? In the video the hits are registering almost immediately. That is almost a tell-tale sign that the enemies don't ping the server before they're allowed to change states -- the hits seem to register clientside first. This means the game will probably TRY to sync them, but if they fall out then it's not going to reposition them at all. This is preferred because the game has a much more precise collision engine. If they ever want to include anything like combos and more solid gameplay, they're unfortunately going to have to sacrifice perfect sync with the enemies. Otherwise blocking, counter attacking, ect will be like playing a fighting game with terrible latency lag.

On the flip they can make the game consult the server for flinching first, and then we have to deal with delay. If the game ever becomes more skill-based, that's going to be absolute suicide.

I'd count on huge enemies (like leaders, rockbears) and bosses being synced for everyone. But other than that....i dont think its gonna happen. especially if this game goes global...

It's going to come down to what it always is on online videogames: If your in a room with people with good connections, then expect to be well-synced. Otherwise, if someone lags, then there's no telling how they'll fall out of sync. Regardless of how you put it...the issue is not easily solved no matter how you look at it. It would be a serious feat for them to have everyone say synced, like in an a Halo Reach Matchmaking round or something. I dont know much about network programming, but im skeptical they could get it right...

Angelo
Aug 19, 2011, 05:35 AM
I guess I just got spoiled by TERA's syncing. I wish PSO2 could do that.

It just seems like it can be done.

Hrith
Aug 19, 2011, 07:30 AM
In the video the hits are registering almost immediately. That is almost a tell-tale sign that the enemies don't ping the servers.Not really. PSU JP (for Japanese players) was like that. Very low ping + servers a few kilometers from your place = seemingly instant hits.

DirksOak
Aug 19, 2011, 07:46 AM
Oh yeah. I forgot about this cancer.

Well, PSO could do it :3

Vashyron
Aug 19, 2011, 08:12 AM
No PSO couldn't do it. It was just less likely to happen due to stuff not being able to be knocked around and much less apparent when it did happen.

In fact it's synching could even be as bad enough that the monster is dead to some players and not others. Making it seem to some that a ally is getting hit by something invisible. :wacko:

moorebounce
Aug 19, 2011, 08:16 AM
I've even seen players still getting hit even after you've cleared a room or map of enemies. This issue however isn't a deal breaker for myself.

Ark22
Aug 19, 2011, 08:20 AM
Well we may have the technology guys. Also did anyone else notice the baboons change colors?

uhawww
Aug 19, 2011, 08:23 AM
Only color changing I've noticed is from debuffs.
Inflicting certain status effects on enemies will change their color for that duration.
For example, if you poison something, it will turn purple.

SELENNA
Aug 19, 2011, 08:24 AM
Well we may have the technology guys. Also did anyone else notice the baboons change colors?

I was wondering if it was part of a skill and why it changed color.

Serephim
Aug 19, 2011, 10:12 AM
I guess I just got spoiled by TERA's syncing. I wish PSO2 could do that.

It just seems like it can be done.

I looked at some Tera videos yesterday.

The enemies and even bosses look very very simplistic to me. I dont think it'd be very hard.

•Col•
Aug 19, 2011, 02:00 PM
I was wondering if it was part of a skill and why it changed color.

"When enemies have status effects, their colors change, “Poison” Status effect changes their color to purple."

Angelo
Aug 19, 2011, 04:06 PM
I looked at some Tera videos yesterday.

The enemies and even bosses look very very simplistic to me. I dont think it'd be very hard.

It seems pretty akin to PSU to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnYDlFm2qhU