PDA

View Full Version : Are sabers not in PSO2 or something?

DirksOak
Aug 19, 2011, 10:49 AM
Sabers are an iconic symbol of Star Wars Phantasy Star Online. Are they not in PSO2? I've yet to see one.

Is sword the default Hunter starting weapon? My brother will not be pleased :<

Enforcer MKV
Aug 19, 2011, 10:52 AM
So far, it looks like gunslash is hybriding / replacing both saber and pistol. I personally want sabers and pistols to be included as separate weapons. Keep in mind, that this is the alpha, not the beta, and that things are extremely likely / are going to change between now and release. This is by no means the final build.

Bulgereek Nookstain
Aug 19, 2011, 10:54 AM
Considering there doesn't appear to be any right hand/left hand specific equipment slots for weapons, combining pistol and saber into one weapon is by far preferable to having them occupy to weapon slots ala PSO.

Tetsaru
Aug 19, 2011, 10:58 AM
Personally, I'd be very surprised if they didn't have regular sabers and handguns in PSO2. It'd mean they'd have to omit or alter iconic weapons like the DB's Saber, Varista, etc.

Bulgereek Nookstain
Aug 19, 2011, 11:00 AM
Oh no, then they'd actually have to create new weapons!

Enforcer MKV
Aug 19, 2011, 11:00 AM
I understand that, but I'd rather at least have the option to carry a standard pistol. They could make them stronger than the ranged option of the gunslash, and the same could be done with the saber.

I'm well aware of the fact that it seems redundant, unneeded. I just simply stated what I would like.

EDIT: I will say this about the current incarnation of the gunslash, it doesn't seem to be as unwieldy as the ones from PSZ.

EDIT #2: Oh, I just remembered. I expect to see a saber and pistol tapped together with duct tape as a findable rare. That, in my opinion, is an almost instant buy in and of itself. Just because it'd be so gosh-darn funny.

uhawww
Aug 19, 2011, 11:06 AM
It's already been stated by Sakai and co. that area, weapon, and tech availability would be limited in the early phases of alpha as they are focusing on network flow and performance. I would expect to see many aspects of the game expanded as we move into beta phases.

I find it cool that they have made the newer weapon types available now.

Tetsaru
Aug 19, 2011, 11:10 AM
Oh no, then they'd actually have to create new weapons!

Lol, that's fine, but I'm sure there are people that would like to see some of the older weapons return... myself included. I'd be a bit upset if the Psycho Wand, Flowen's Sword, Spread Needle, or other similar weapon didn't make a comeback, though at the same time, I'd probably be MORE upset if they came back, but were radically altered. It was bad enough in PSU that weapons like the Psycho Wand didn't have their unique fold-up animations, or the Guld & Milla didn't have an HP-steal ability. I know that's nostalgia talking, but this series tends to rely heavily on it.

That said, there were several weapons originally from PSU that I liked, such as the Rattlesnake and the Degahna Cannon, so I'm sure there'll be some new stuff in PSO2 that will get my attention.

Enforcer MKV
Aug 19, 2011, 11:13 AM
It's already been stated by Sakai and co. that area, weapon, and tech availability would be limited in the early phases of alpha as they are focusing on network flow and performance. I would expect to see many aspects of the game expanded as we move into beta phases.

I find it cool that they have made the newer weapon types available now.

Yes, you're right. though, it makes sense that some of the newer weapons are showcased first. It gives them more time to test and fix them. They already have a lot of data on the other weapons based off of previous games. Rifles and rods being in so early is probably due to the fact that they need to test TPS and see what needs tweaking. And swords? Well, swords are a mainstay of these kinds of games, right? (I am SO looking at you, Cloud.) Plus, they had to give hunters something that wasn't new to fall back on, right?

DirksOak
Aug 19, 2011, 11:21 AM
Am I the only one who found saber/pistol combo in PSU fucking awesome? I play FOmar so I didn't even use it; I just loved the option.

If sabers are out I'll be sad, but if they make it a rare item it'll be cool ;p

Enforcer MKV
Aug 19, 2011, 11:23 AM
Oh, I loved it. XD

Zaix
Aug 19, 2011, 11:27 AM
My Acrofighter in PSU used saber and handgun combo mostly

Pillan
Aug 19, 2011, 12:05 PM
I still would not complain about every saber being upgraded to Lavis Cannon status. And I never really saw enough difference between rifles and handguns outside of PSU/P2 for me to merit them as separate weapons. If there is no multi-equip feature as in PSU, as it currently appears there is not from the look of the weapon pallet, I see no reason to add them both back.

That, said, twin sabers and twin handguns are a totally different story.

Tetsaru
Aug 19, 2011, 12:14 PM
I loved having two different one-handed weapons as well in PSU. Thing was, you could only really use one at a time (save for Range-MAG's auto-firing), instead of using BOTH together with some sort of unique synergy - you were usually either spamming something like Rising Strike at one point, or firing away at another point, often to close the distance to an enemy so you could PA-spam it again. I'm hoping the new gunblades are a sign that they're trying to shy away from that kind of playstyle and incorporate some different tactics, like knocking an enemy up into the air and then juggling it with gunfire.

Another thing that I think would be neat (although it would require some intense balancing) would be if you could equip ANY one-handed weapon you wanted in either hand and dual-wield them. Imagine something like handgun + mechgun, or saber + claw, with unique moves that combine both weapons' attacks in some way. OR, have two different versions of the same weapon: a DB's Saber + a Delsaber's Buster for instance, or a fire-element claw and an ice-element claw, or dual slicers or whips that can inflict and stack different status effects - there'd be near-endless possibilities! Also, weapons like Sange & Yasha or Guld & Milla wouldn't need to be "synthed" together, and could function individually, but have a REALLY good perk or stat change when used together.

And on top of that, if people only wanted to use one one-handed weapon, they could equip it in either hand, so as to say "I have a left-handed character" or something. OR, perhaps a one-handed weapon would get stronger or would otherwise change somehow if you used both hands to wield it. I think that'd be cool. :D

Pillan
Aug 19, 2011, 12:23 PM
Even before the balancing act, there is the sheer volume of animations required for basic attacks and photon arts with every possible single hand combination. It would be a fun change, but I doubt it will be worth the effort for another few iterations of the game (see PSU2).

Serephim
Aug 19, 2011, 01:12 PM
I hated the gun+saber combo. It was ugly and terribly animated.

Gunslash looks cool, but i kind of miss the 2-handed saber style from PSO. I'd love to see some animations for a traditional PSO saber.

•Col•
Aug 19, 2011, 02:06 PM
I'm sure there will still be double/twin sabers to use... But yeah, it seems like single-handed sabers are replaced with the Gunslash.

If it makes you feel any better, it seems like Handguns and Canes are gone as well. <.<

Rizen
Aug 19, 2011, 02:08 PM
We aren't sure about Canes yet. Not all weapons types are available.

Things aren't looking to good for handguns however.

DirksOak
Aug 19, 2011, 02:50 PM
I hated the gun+saber combo. It was ugly and terribly animated.
I'd love to see some animations for a traditional PSO saber.

Hahaha, wow, a direct contradiction.

Judge: Where was the witness' contradiction?

Phoenix: In his own testimony!

SLASH
STAB
GOLF SWING

•Col•
Aug 19, 2011, 03:24 PM
We aren't sure about Canes yet. Not all weapons types are available.

Things aren't looking to good for handguns however.

I don't see the point when we already have rods. :( Plus if Canes were in the game, they probably would've made them the starting weapon for Forces.

And wow, this JUST occurred to me now.... Canes weren't even in PSU. HIGHLY doubt they'll be in PSO2.

Kent
Aug 19, 2011, 05:19 PM
As for canes, it's pretty safe to say that if they want "force" weapons to be more casting-oriented, then having a bunch of different types is probably pretty redundant.

However, if emphasis is placed on them being melee weapons that have the ability to charge techniques, then I could see a couple different types being implemented - favorite among melee-oriented Forces, Scythes could see a return as a general weapon type, serving as a Force weapon that can charge techniques, but is just a better general melee weapon than Rods. Or perhaps it actually gets a PA that it can equip, in addition to being able to charge techniques (wouldn't that be nice?).

It opens up the possibility of there being a hybrid ranged attack/technique-charging weapon, too (such as cards or slicers), but I'm a bit doubtful of it really happening.

Back to sabers and handguns... I like the idea of the gunslash weapon type - a single weapon that is both a melee weapon and a ranged weapon, serving as the most basic weapon type. I like versatility like that, and I don't particularly mind it replacing standard sabers and handguns as a weapon type. However, I think removing the "saber" and "handgun" from the weapon type list opens up some different possibilities for similar-enough weapons to more properly fill that niche.

For example, Katanas could be a more prevalent weapon type, for high single-target damage, whereas instead of having rounded-out handguns like in PSO, we may instead see something like a machine pistol, capable of putting out a rapid burst of bullets, but has a much shorter effective range than the assault rifles we've seen (more similar to how we had Mechguns in PSO - high damage, but short range and may leave you vulnerable after a full burst).

Enforcer MKV
Aug 19, 2011, 05:23 PM
As for canes, it's pretty safe to say that if they want "force" weapons to be more casting-oriented, then having a bunch of different types is probably pretty redundant.

However, if emphasis is placed on them being melee weapons that have the ability to charge techniques, then I could see a couple different types being implemented - favorite among melee-oriented Forces, Scythes could see a return as a general weapon type, serving as a Force weapon that can charge techniques, but is just a better general melee weapon than Rods. Or perhaps it actually gets a PA that it can equip, in addition to being able to charge techniques (wouldn't that be nice?).

It opens up the possibility of there being a hybrid ranged attack/technique-charging weapon, too (such as cards or slicers), but I'm a bit doubtful of it really happening.

Back to sabers and handguns... I like the idea of the gunslash weapon type - a single weapon that is both a melee weapon and a ranged weapon, serving as the most basic weapon type. I like versatility like that, and I don't particularly mind it replacing standard sabers and handguns as a weapon type. However, I think removing the "saber" and "handgun" from the weapon type list opens up some different possibilities for similar-enough weapons to more properly fill that niche.

For example, Katanas could be a more prevalent weapon type, for high single-target damage, whereas instead of having rounded-out handguns like in PSO, we may instead see something like a machine pistol, capable of putting out a rapid burst of bullets, but has a much shorter effective range than the assault rifles we've seen (more similar to how we had Mechguns in PSO - high damage, but short range and may leave you vulnerable after a full burst).

This man deserves a cookie.

Selphea
Aug 19, 2011, 06:42 PM
Hahaha, wow, a direct contradiction.

PSO did not have a Saber/Handgun combo, Serephim was referring to PSU for that.

I want to dual wield Gunslashes ._.

Serephim
Aug 19, 2011, 07:00 PM
With gunslash and wired lance, i would not be surprised of Scythes became a weapon type.

They seem to be drifting more towards unique, so it would certainly be unique.

Selphea
Aug 19, 2011, 07:07 PM
Gunslash = GN Sword Rifle

Wired Lance = Slash Harken

I'd say they're trying to pull in the mecha crowd o.o

Serephim
Aug 19, 2011, 07:10 PM
I'd like it if katanas, scythes, dual sabers, and twin sabers were rare weapon choices once again.

AfroGuy!
Aug 20, 2011, 12:03 AM
I'd like it if katanas, scythes, dual sabers, and twin sabers were rare weapon choices once again.

you are thinking double sabers, not dual sabers, right? double sabers are awesome

Stezan
Aug 20, 2011, 12:48 AM

Awesome ideas. As for mechguns, I'd take a different approach; make them long range (bullets don't just disappear after all), but inaccurate from a distance. Since I believe ACC stat is gone (don't quote me on this), this could be accomplished by giving it a larger target reticule and making it shake after extended continuous fire. It would have a faster rate of fire than the Assault Rifle, but inaccurate at a distance and less capable of targeting Weak Points.

As for scythes, I figure they could have 1 PA and 1 Linked Tech. Would give some versatility without overshadowing Rods (and would be awesome for PSO1 FOmar-esque class)

Other weapons I hope return are:
Daggers (no single necessary)
Claw(s) (I personally don't care if they are single or double)
Double Sabers
Spears
Slicers
Twin Sabers
Katanas

Grenade Launcher/Bazooka (So long as it has AoE, I'm Happy)
Laser Cannon (Maybe with a continuous stream fire, immobile while using, but can sweep the beam around)
Mechguns (see above)
Spread/Shotgun (undecided on which I like better)

NoiseHERO
Aug 20, 2011, 12:50 AM
I only skimmed random parts of the last few posts and I already don't like this thread...

I'M LEAVIN'

Niered
Aug 20, 2011, 12:58 AM
I'd rather know that IF the dev's decide to put in dual handguns again, that rather than taking the stupid route of making dual handguns and regular handguns seperate weapons, they just make it so you can DUAL WIELD TWO DIFFERENT HANDGUNS. Ditto this for EVERY WEAPON that has a dual/single variant.

They got around this in PSO by making mechguns dualies, but still functionally different than handguns. But in PSU, for some fuck-arsed reason I could either equip one hand gun, or one saber, or one dagger, OR craft a seperate item that was two weapons!

Honestly, that is just one of the many half assed features of PSU that I hope to god not to see in this.

Serephim
Aug 20, 2011, 01:24 AM
Screw Twin Handguns. They're stupid. Why would you ever want 2 very inaccurate handguns when you could just pick up a rifle!

Twin Mechguns, on the other hand, is a necessity. It's funny how PSU had Twin Handguns, but no Twin Mechguns like PSO....

Nobody wants a single mechgun. How lame.

And nobody wants the 1-handed idea to return to PSO2, either. It was a terrible idea. All it did was make every 1-handed weapon weak and useless.

DirksOak
Aug 20, 2011, 02:56 AM
PSO did not have a Saber/Handgun combo, Serephim was referring to PSU for that.

I want to dual wield Gunslashes ._.

What I meant was that he said the PSU gunslash animation was crap but the PSO saber animation was great.

EVERY WEAPON HAD THE PSO SABER ANIMATION.

And fuck Canes. Real Wizards don't use golf clubs.

Porkspect
Aug 20, 2011, 03:15 AM
And fuck Canes. Real Wizards don't use golf clubs.

Real wizards don't exist.

•Col•
Aug 20, 2011, 03:31 AM
You know what would be kinda cool? If they combined the Twin and Double saber categories into one.

The action button would switch between the two forms by combined and detaching them from one another.

AfroGuy!
Aug 20, 2011, 03:39 AM
^ that would be the coolest thing ever! but they need to be really rare

Stezan
Aug 20, 2011, 04:05 AM
You know what would be kinda cool? If they combined the Twin and Double saber categories into one.

The action button would switch between the two forms by combined and detaching them from one another.

Double Saber mode for Multi-Enemy hits, Twins for Single enemies would be cool.

Only issue I see with that is that for Melee weapons, you have 3 buttons; Attack, Guard, and PA. You'd have to get rid of guarding to allow it.

Blueblur
Aug 20, 2011, 09:27 AM

I loved this post. :lol:

NoiseHERO
Aug 20, 2011, 11:34 AM
ITT X Weapon is stupid because it replaced Y weapon.

Rizen
Aug 20, 2011, 11:38 AM
ITT X Weapon is stupid because it replaced Y weapon.
Z weapon is clearly superior because it combines the best of X and Y weapon. They should continue making Z type weapons so we don't have to make a choice between the two.

inb4bringingbackAandBweapons

DirksOak
Aug 20, 2011, 12:07 PM

But sabers and stuff do k

StriderTuna
Aug 20, 2011, 12:52 PM

Only issue I see with that is that for Melee weapons, you have 3 buttons; Attack, Guard, and PA. You'd have to get rid of guarding to allow it.

Z weapon is clearly superior because it combines the best of X and Y weapon. They should continue making Z type weapons so we don't have to make a choice between the two.

inb4bringingbackAandBweapons

This reminds me of an idea I have comcerning certain weapons; mainly being able to switch modes in the menu, inspired by how a good number of double and twin sabers in PSPo2 are actually composed of normal ones. This would allow you to use certain traits or one weapon of switch styles to one that's better suited for the situation.

kyuuketsuki
Aug 20, 2011, 02:21 PM
But sabers and stuff do k
... Your comment makes zero sense. No one said they do (although, you know, swords and stuff do exist IRL). Plus, clubs and maces are a very effective form of weaponry and it's kind of dumb to have a bias against weapons of that kind existing in a game.

However, canes were a mostly useless weapon class in PSO. Wands and rods were the only useful force weapon-classes, and melee-oriented forces eschewed any of that in favor of sabers and other "hunter weapons" anyway. 'Course, this isn't PSO so they could easily bring any weapon-class back that they wanted and just retool it to actually be useful.

Scythes were very cool (I always did the single-player quests to get a Soul Eater for my FOmar), and definitely must make a comeback along with twin sabers and double-sabers.

•Col•
Aug 20, 2011, 02:30 PM

Guard doesn't have a reserved button. Only certain weapons can use it, like the Sword.

The Gunslash can't block right now. The action button (which is used for Guarding with the Sword) switched it between firing mode and melee mode.

DirksOak
Aug 20, 2011, 03:25 PM
... Your comment makes zero sense. No one said they do (although, you know, swords and stuff do exist IRL). Plus, clubs and maces are a very effective form of weaponry and it's kind of dumb to have a bias against weapons of that kind existing in a game.

However, canes were a mostly useless weapon class in PSO. Wands and rods were the only useful force weapon-classes, and melee-oriented forces eschewed any of that in favor of sabers and other "hunter weapons" anyway. 'Course, this isn't PSO so they could easily bring any weapon-class back that they wanted and just retool it to actually be useful.

Scythes were very cool (I always did the single-player quests to get a Soul Eater for my FOmar), and definitely must make a comeback along with twin sabers and double-sabers.

Why are you getting so frustrated.

My comment was "real Wizards don't use golf clubs" on a forum about PSO, a game where you run around hitting stuff with lightsabers and teaming up with loli robots. Your comment "Wizards don't exist" was the comment that made no sense.
I used real as a synonym for serious. What I meant was exactly what you just said: Canes are useless weapons.

kyuuketsuki
Aug 20, 2011, 03:30 PM
Why are you getting so frustrated.Uh, I'm not frustrated. I just didn't get your comment.

Your comment "Wizards don't exist" was the comment that made no sense.That wasn't my comment.

I used real as a synonym for serious. What I meant was exactly what you just said: Canes are useless weapons.Canes were useless weapon in PSO, for the most part, yes. But this isn't PSO and canes, if they exist, are not relegated to the same status as PSO by default.

And if you mean "serious," you should say "serious." When you say "real," most people are going to assume you mean "real." And since when is PSO a "serious" game anyway?

DirksOak
Aug 20, 2011, 03:33 PM
Sorry I just assumed you were the same person and I'm stoned and I haven't eaten for 10 hours. Leave me alone :<

Rizen
Aug 20, 2011, 03:48 PM
Fail troll is fail!

DirksOak
Aug 20, 2011, 03:58 PM
Fail troll is fail!

Using "fail" in 2011 internet parlance.

k bro

cyanprime
Aug 20, 2011, 04:15 PM
Okay guys, calm down please. This is a place to discuss PSO2, not argue. :)

DirksOak
Aug 20, 2011, 04:26 PM

http://i.imgur.com/HrV6W.jpg

Porkspect
Aug 20, 2011, 04:42 PM
Sorry I just assumed you were the same person and I'm stoned and I haven't eaten for 10 hours. Leave me alone :<

That explains why you're as brilliant as a cucumber.

kyuuketsuki
Aug 20, 2011, 07:36 PM
Why do people always assume that two people having a little back-and-forth are angry in some way. Disagreements aren't always mudslinging contests... oh wait, I forgot I'm on the internets. :S

AlphaDragoon
Aug 21, 2011, 06:09 PM
The Saber has always been my all time favorite weapon in PSO and PSU, and I'd be sad to see it go. I'm also kinda happy to see that there are other people like me who loved the simple old thing.

But the Gunslash does make for quite the replacement, if standard Sabers aren't in the game. I like it quite a bit from what I saw of it, much better than the "Saber in one hand/Handgun in another" thing PSU had (which I didn't use, Saber/R-MAG FTW).

Nitro Vordex
Aug 21, 2011, 11:31 PM
Oh god this thread turned into /b/ lite.

I'd really like to see if they'll have twin daggers or single daggers this time around. Maybe make single daggers gigantic or something, just because it's Japan. :Wacko: