PDA

View Full Version : Forces: More melee-centric this time around?

Spellbinder
Aug 19, 2011, 01:59 PM
Keep in mind this is all speculation and I may simply be jumping to conclusions being it alpha and people in these videos are barely past level 5 (if even that much).

However, looking at the 40 minute force video in particular, it got me wondering. It was too fuzzy for me to see the character's stats, but using foie ate pp fairly quickly leaving her to either run around in circles or take a few swings at enemies endangering herself for pp.

As a force that enjoyed being in the back line supporting the party and nuking, I feel a bit worried about being forced to melee with wands for pp.

Any thoughts?

Rizen
Aug 19, 2011, 02:01 PM
It's way too early to make any speculations on forces. If it is anything how PSO was, it takes a while for forces to get out of the melee phase without working about TP/PP.

Ark22
Aug 19, 2011, 02:03 PM
Yeah, once I was level 6 and able to wield a saber I was happy.

lostinseganet
Aug 19, 2011, 02:09 PM
The only way it could be more prefect if these forces played like rogues and stole weapons. If onnly they could play like prince of persia warrior within or otogi. PURRRRfect!

Rizen
Aug 19, 2011, 02:17 PM
The only way it could be more prefect if these forces played like rogues and stole weapons. If onnly they could play like prince of persia warrior within or otogi. PURRRRfect!

.....What?

DirksOak
Aug 19, 2011, 02:46 PM
Drugs.

FOmar was a melee-centric class anyway.

Hrith
Aug 19, 2011, 02:49 PM
Forces have always been late bloomers (for those who bloomed at all, mind), so low-level Forces as seen in the Alpha testing are bound to be extremely limited.

Zyrusticae
Aug 19, 2011, 02:51 PM
I kinda like it, actually.

Blast the crap out of things, then pull out gunslash and go to town, and then switch back and blast the crap out of more stuff.

But yeah, this is low-level gameplay, and an alpha to boot, so expect changes.

Vashyron
Aug 19, 2011, 02:57 PM
Even Low Lv PSO (Without packing some LV 200 mag or anything absurd) basically made the Force character have to pick up a Gun or a Saber for a while.

BioWarrior
Aug 19, 2011, 03:00 PM
If you look at the force skill tree there's a tree section for increased PP and faster regen.

yoshiblue
Aug 19, 2011, 03:10 PM
If not they could always be part time rangers.

lostinseganet
Aug 19, 2011, 03:11 PM
.....What?
rogues like in D&D, but with magic.

•Col•
Aug 19, 2011, 03:18 PM
Sega themselves as classified Forces as the long range class, meaning that they're supposed to be further back than even the Rangers.

Like others have said, it's just because of the low levels.

Vashyron
Aug 19, 2011, 03:21 PM
Also in these videos everyone has been going solo.

In a party the monsters would probably be concentration more on the hunters allowing forces to use off more techs.

Kent
Aug 19, 2011, 05:03 PM
Sega themselves as classified Forces as the long range class, meaning that they're supposed to be further back than even the Rangers.

Like others have said, it's just because of the low levels.
I don't know how much stock I'd put in that, considering that they outright state in PSO that Hunters are for "beginners" while Rangers are for "intermediate" players. Because it's apparently difficult to sit at a doorway and peg enemies, running back into it when they get too close.

I'm guessing that what they really meant was that most ranged techniques just have a longer range than guns... Or they're trying to emphasize that Forces just can't equip very good armor.

landman
Aug 19, 2011, 05:13 PM
I still have hopes Zero slicers will make a comeback, and combining them with techs could be impressive...

Enforcer MKV
Aug 19, 2011, 05:19 PM
I don't know how much stock I'd put in that, considering that they outright state in PSO that Hunters are for "beginners" while Rangers are for "intermediate" players. Because it's apparently difficult to sit at a doorway and peg enemies, running back into it when they get too close.

I'm guessing that what they really meant was that most ranged techniques just have a longer range than guns... Or they're trying to emphasize that Forces just can't equip very good armor.

Well, think about it for a moment.

Hunters - usually high HP, Attack, Defense. Able to perform attacks that sweep, with the intent of drawing the focus of the enemy. Also considered to be balanced. Portrayed as human, with balanced stats.

Ranger - mid-range support class. Requires aiming and (possibly) awareness of surroundings to find vantage points, etc. Generally high attack but not so well off in the defensive category. Portrayed as cast, with high attack/physical defense, with low tech tolerance

Force - Long-range (Artillery?) support class. Capable of the highest damage output, but also the most physically frail class. Able to use all technics to a better degree than the others, and also capable of placing status effects, both advantageous and disadvantageous. They need to be aware of both their allies and enemies, to support and heal the former, and to cripple/kill the later. Portrayed as Neuman, with High spiritual attunement (photons/techs) with poor physical attack, defense, and stamina (health).

Keep in mind, this is mostly based on what I've discussed with people and how I myself view the class, or experienced in the few games I've played. I could be completely off base for PSO2.

Serephim
Aug 19, 2011, 06:58 PM
What are you guys talking about. I almost never relied on melee on my PSO force. Techniques were almost infinitely more powerful.

Serephim
Aug 19, 2011, 07:41 PM
Well, think about it for a moment.

Hunters - usually high HP, Attack, Defense. Able to perform attacks that sweep, with the intent of drawing the focus of the enemy. Also considered to be balanced. Portrayed as human, with balanced stats.

Ranger - mid-range support class. Requires aiming and (possibly) awareness of surroundings to find vantage points, etc. Generally high attack but not so well off in the defensive category. Portrayed as cast, with high attack/physical defense, with low tech tolerance

Force - Long-range (Artillery?) support class. Capable of the highest damage output, but also the most physically frail class. Able to use all technics to a better degree than the others, and also capable of placing status effects, both advantageous and disadvantageous. They need to be aware of both their allies and enemies, to support and heal the former, and to cripple/kill the later. Portrayed as Neuman, with High spiritual attunement (photons/techs) with poor physical attack, defense, and stamina (health).

Keep in mind, this is mostly based on what I've discussed with people and how I myself view the class, or experienced in the few games I've played. I could be completely off base for PSO2.

In my opinion...

Hunters : They're pegged as the beginner class because they're easy to use. Plain and simple. They're powerful, they have nice defense, and most of them can use magic. They dab in a bit of everything.

Rangers: They're Intermediate characters because you actually have to do more than just press the attack/heavy attack buttons to get any use out of them. You have to use the special stuff for damage. Like Flame Shot or Shadow Shot, or confuse ect ect

Forces: They're Advanced because they die easy, you have to figure out which elements to use and how to use them, and above all else you really have to know the game to survive with them. Fluids in PSO costed tons of money, so if you didn't know how to save money you were just screwed.

lostinseganet
Aug 19, 2011, 08:18 PM
What are you guys talking about. I almost never relied on melee on my PSO force. Techniques were almost infinitely more powerful.Every now and then you just want to pasteurize your foes! Other times you just want to pound them into a fine paste.

Bulgereek Nookstain
Aug 19, 2011, 08:59 PM
What are you guys talking about. I almost never relied on melee on my PSO force. Techniques were almost infinitely more powerful.Depends on which class/episode/version you were playing, but melee was much more powerful than techs in many situations in PSO, mostly thanks to some extremely broken weapon specials.

Zeota
Aug 19, 2011, 09:20 PM
Yeah in most cases a fo was just a heal/buff/debuff slave.

Spellbinder
Aug 19, 2011, 09:44 PM
Well as I said in my OP, you can chalk it up to my jumping the gun. :p But I must say, back when I played PSO as a FOnewearl a saber just wasn't an option, not enough ATP until at least level 10. I just saved up my meseta from drops and kept making trips for fluids, and at 5 TP per foie, I got way more mileage in my lower levels than the Force appears to be in these videos, but time will tell.

If you look at the force skill tree there's a tree section for increased PP and faster regen.

I've yet to see the force skill tree. Can anyone tell me which video I can find it in?

•Col•
Aug 19, 2011, 09:53 PM
I've yet to see the force skill tree. Can anyone tell me which video I can find it in?

Dunno where a video of it would be, but here is the Alpha Test Force Skill tree:

Flame Mastery > Photon Flare > Flame Tech S Charge > Flame Mastery 2
Mirage Escape
Ice Mastery > Freeze Ignition > Ice Mastery 2 > Freeze Tech Boost
Bolt Mastery >PP Convert > Bolt Mastery 2 > Bolt Tech PP Save
PP Up 1 > Tech Up 1 > Mind Up 1 > PP Up 2 > PP Regenerate

Enforcer MKV
Aug 19, 2011, 10:05 PM
In my opinion...

Hunters : They're pegged as the beginner class because they're easy to use. Plain and simple. They're powerful, they have nice defense, and most of them can use magic. They dab in a bit of everything.

Rangers: They're Intermediate characters because you actually have to do more than just press the attack/heavy attack buttons to get any use out of them. You have to use the special stuff for damage. Like Flame Shot or Shadow Shot, or confuse ect ect

Forces: They're Advanced because they die easy, you have to figure out which elements to use and how to use them, and above all else you really have to know the game to survive with them. Fluids in PSO costed tons of money, so if you didn't know how to save money you were just screwed.

...That's what I said. You have the quote right there. XD

Serephim
Aug 19, 2011, 10:27 PM
oh

well there we go lol :D

StriderTuna
Aug 20, 2011, 12:25 AM
Well I know how in PSO that Forces were forced into support/melee due to absurd resistances encountered in harder difficulties.

In PSZ, Melee is a surprising good option for Forces as Rods/Wands/Slicer use MST instead of ATP and they have some interesting PAs.

DirksOak
Aug 20, 2011, 08:06 AM
What are you guys talking about. I almost never relied on melee on my PSO force. Techniques were almost infinitely more powerful.

Level 1306 Mag confirmed.
x99 Monofluid/Difluid/Trifluid confirmed.

Hotsuma
Aug 21, 2011, 09:42 AM
I actually like the idea of FOs being more battle centric this time around, makes it more exciting to have to know your position on the field at all times and know that even though you gotta jump into the fray you gotta be careful because one mistake = pwned! I welcome more dangerous excitement, I might even go FO main this time around.

ShinMaruku
Aug 21, 2011, 01:44 PM
Why have a melee force when you can have a mid-range force specialization where they are in the faces of their enemies throwing fire knocking monsters on their asses or freezing them.

Enforcer MKV
Aug 21, 2011, 02:10 PM
Well I know how in PSO that Forces were forced into support/melee due to absurd resistances encountered in harder difficulties.

In PSZ, Melee is a surprising good option for Forces as Rods/Wands/Slicer use MST instead of ATP and they have some interesting PAs.

I just enjoyed smacking things with a lamp post, but that's just me...

Tyreek
Aug 21, 2011, 02:14 PM
I approve of the melee centric force to a degree. I would just like to see their main specialty broadened out. I would like the option flank enemies with as many spells as possible. So far I got to see Foie added in the mix of comboing with melee attacks.

Tetsaru
Aug 21, 2011, 03:15 PM
I just enjoyed smacking things with a lamp post, but that's just me...

After reading this, I immediately thought of Jax from League of Legends, lol:

[spoiler-box]http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100210054539/leagueoflegends/images/2/2d/Jax_OriginalSkin.jpg[/spoiler-box]

condiments
Aug 21, 2011, 04:44 PM
I plan on making a melee oriented support force, so this works for me. :D

landman
Aug 22, 2011, 11:49 AM
I see many possibilities in this, maybe even Photon Arts that merge a skill and a tech (Knuckles Upercut + Foie = Soryuken :D), prerequisites would be of course leveling both the skill and the tech. And that Mirage walk, if it's target friendly, could ad for awesome combos (and you could fight like Akuma or Athena Asamiya lol)

Enforcer MKV
Aug 22, 2011, 12:20 PM
After reading this, I immediately thought of Jax from League of Legends, lol:

[spoiler-box]http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100210054539/leagueoflegends/images/2/2d/Jax_OriginalSkin.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Thank you. No, really. I mean it. Thank you. XD