PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 as a Steam Release?

ChronoTrigga
Aug 19, 2011, 11:24 PM
The series could use a boost in awareness...

Everytime I hear news about anything Phantasy Star. It's always here. Not even IGN comments on it really. =/

Bulgereek Nookstain
Aug 19, 2011, 11:26 PM
As much as I would love to see Steamworks integration, I'm not expecting PSO2 to even appear for download on the service.

Pik
Aug 19, 2011, 11:28 PM
I'm sure that the lack of public awareness, as well as the lack of information circulating, is due the there not having been an official announcement of release outside of Japan.

Edit

I see now that there has been an unofficial announcement on that facebook page for a global release. That is good news :D.

BioWarrior
Aug 19, 2011, 11:32 PM
Steam would definently boost sales. I've NEVER seen a phantasy star games displayed on the store shelves in my town or neighboring towns. I also worked retail from the time PSU released to the time PSP2 released and I never saw any of them even arrive. Plus if I'm not mistaken Sega does use steam to distribute games.

SELENNA
Aug 19, 2011, 11:40 PM
It would be great but I'm not holding my breath. It's SEGA

Kent
Aug 19, 2011, 11:45 PM
It would be great but I'm not holding my breath. It's SEGA
It's worth noting that there are a whole bunch of Sega-published games available on Steam. I wouldn't exactly call a Steam release unlikely.

Serephim
Aug 19, 2011, 11:47 PM
I dont see it really happening...

....but steam would boost the FUCK out of the sales for this game. This is a smart idea, actually. If anything, it'd give people glances of the game.

If there was any such thing as a downloadable free demo (PSU360 style), or a simple trial, then it's a done deal with PSO2 stateside.

r00tabaga
Aug 19, 2011, 11:50 PM
What is Steam? Something PC obviously.

BioWarrior
Aug 19, 2011, 11:52 PM
Steampowered.com

It's a digital distribution service by valve, it's awesome, and they have LOTS of awesome sales.

Bulgereek Nookstain
Aug 19, 2011, 11:55 PM
Steam is basically the sole reason PC gaming isn't dead right now.

Serephim
Aug 19, 2011, 11:58 PM
Steam is the result of bastards like Gamestop/EBGames destroying the sales of videogames

BioWarrior
Aug 20, 2011, 12:04 AM
That may be, but having my games save on a cloud so I can access my save file or settings from multiple PCs is awesome.

Corey Blue
Aug 20, 2011, 12:13 AM
I'm going to post this on their facebook page.(release this on steam please!)

Blueblur
Aug 20, 2011, 12:19 AM
I'd love it if they released it on Steam. But even though Sega has put their games up on Steam in the past, they never add their first party Japanese games to the service. It's a shame. :/

BioWarrior
Aug 20, 2011, 12:20 AM
Sonic Adventure is on steam :p

Corey Blue
Aug 20, 2011, 12:22 AM
It would be foolish for them to release a PC only game and not put it on steam.imho

Blueblur
Aug 20, 2011, 12:22 AM

Correction: They never had their new first party Japanese games.

BioWarrior
Aug 20, 2011, 12:25 AM
Aside from PSU I don't think Sega has released any PC games.

Corey Blue
Aug 20, 2011, 12:26 AM
Aside from PSU I don't think Sega has released any PC games.

and they want this to be big,so steam would be the best move.(and hopefully they will.)

Randomness
Aug 20, 2011, 12:32 AM
It would certainly make sense for the NA/EU markets. Dunno if it'd matter for JP.

Arande
Aug 20, 2011, 01:27 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't one reason they said PSO2 will be PC only is they want more control over their updates instead of having to go through 3rd parties like sony's PSN and Microsoft's Xbox live? That combined with steams policy on game updates don't seem to mix, especially if they are really global servers. Don't think they want to be in the same boat EA is with steam atm.

edit: in hindsight, I wonder if having to go through the 3rd parties is what hindered them fixing the S-grinder bug on xbox, or the S rank/meseta glitches on PC/PS2 for PSU.

SpikeOtacon
Aug 20, 2011, 01:35 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't one reason they said PSO2 will be PC only is they want more control over their updates instead of having to go through 3rd parties like sony's PSN and Microsoft's Xbox live? That combined with steams policy on game updates don't seem to mix, especially if they are really global servers. Don't think they want to be in the same boat EA is with steam atm.

Have you seen how Steam pushes patches for games, multiple times per day, so long as the developers make the updates in the first place? They aren't Xbox Live or PSN with long queues and silly certification processes. The EA thing is, for all intents and purposes, EA waggling their dick around trying to gain space in the DD marketplace against Steam. SEGA would not run into any issues there.

Also stop to consider that Spiral Knights, a SEGA (published?) MMO is on Steam as part of the Free-to-Play initiative and SEGA seems to be having no issues whatsoever with updates for their game.

Arande
Aug 20, 2011, 01:40 AM
True, steam does handle updates a lot more quickly than the other two. Yeah, I can't open steam at all without it downloading stuff automatically on a daily basis. Was just a thought that crossed my mind.

SpikeOtacon
Aug 20, 2011, 01:52 AM
Understandable to worry about it though, it seems to be a common thing within the industry to have patches and updates held back by certifications.

Bulgereek Nookstain
Aug 20, 2011, 02:38 AM
Yeah, but that really isn't an issue at all with Steam, where some games get patched multiple times a day, several times a week. I mean, it's a perfectly valid concern, but it doesn't seem like it would be an issue,

Angelo
Aug 20, 2011, 07:50 AM
I thought SEGA had a good relationship with Valve?

I could see this happening.

Vashyron
Aug 20, 2011, 08:06 AM
This would mean either getting rid of Gameguard or fixing the year old problem that Gameguard hates the Steam Overlay. :wacko:

But forgetting that, they have Japan first on their mind. I don't think Steam is too popular over there? Or maybe it is, I have no idea.

DirksOak
Aug 20, 2011, 08:15 AM

Sonic Adventure 2 is a billion times better though :P

As a kid I kind of valued them equally, but as the owner of a recently purchased second-hand Dreamcast, I can tell you that the second is FAR better.

landman
Aug 20, 2011, 08:44 AM
An online game can be released on steam and many other platforms, and players will still play on the same servers and get the same client updates, account management/billing is usually held outside of Steam.

The only MMO I've played on Steam is EVE and I've never heard of any problem because of steam regarding updates, the client is updated daily if necessary (which usually is after the release of each expansion).

Don't forget Steam is a Computer based platform, using mods on your games is almost as easy as using them in the retail game, and Steam is very very good advertisement, not only on release, on each expansion release, or price sale it will be on the main page with millions of gamers noticing the game:
Community activity (last 48 hours): 2,978,975 Gamers online (http://store.steampowered.com/stats/)

hewitt
Aug 20, 2011, 10:04 AM
Sonic Adventure 2 is a billion times better though :P

As a kid I kind of valued them equally, but as the owner of a recently purchased second-hand Dreamcast, I can tell you that the second is FAR better.

Psh. :P With the exception of Big's fishing escapades and SA2's better chao stuff, Sonic Adventure was muuuuuch better.

kyuuketsuki
Aug 20, 2011, 11:09 AM
While I do hope that SEGA puts PSO2 on Steam for the exposure, at the same time I very much hope it's available as a stand-alone, retail box. I never do major game purchases through digital distribution, I much prefer installing from a physical medium rather than waiting half-a-day to download it. I also don't like having to open up Steam just so I can then open up my game.

I tolerate Steam because they do have good sales and its positive effect on keeping PC-gaming alive (though saying it's the only reason PC-gaming is alive is absurd... if Steam wasn't around, PC-gamers wouldn't suddenly disappear), but in the end its simply something else to eat up resources, restrict my ability to install games where I want (especially important when using an SSD+HDD setup), and, above all, act as DRM.

BioWarrior
Aug 20, 2011, 11:18 AM
I don't see how it restricts how many times you can install, it let's you download unlimited amounts of times and that PC only has to be online the first time you play it. It takes hardly any resources, and all major releases let you preload it so you can play it the second it officially releases.

ChronoTrigga
Aug 20, 2011, 02:17 PM
Not to mention if it was on Steam....I could get a Spread Needle for my medic.... a Yasminkov for my sniper... and a Goldova Launcher for my Demoman all on TF2....

Also, whoever is in good standing with the Segac crew who runs the PSU boards/website/games etc for North America, get this topic to them. I know there's Edward...not sure about the other people.

Vashyron
Aug 20, 2011, 02:21 PM
Not to mention if it was on Steam....I could get a Spread Needle for my medic.... a Yasminkov for my sniper... and a Goldova Launcher for my Demoman.

But of course. (http://wiki.teamfortress.com/w/images/f/fd/Spy_yes02.wav) :wacko:

kyuuketsuki
Aug 20, 2011, 03:10 PM
I don't see how it restricts how many times you can install, it let's you download unlimited amounts of times and that PC only has to be online the first time you play it. It takes hardly any resources, and all major releases let you preload it so you can play it the second it officially releases.
I didn't say it restricts how many times you can install, I said it restricts where. Games are installed to the same drive that Steam is installed on. Which is an issue when you need to manage which games go to which drive on an SSD+HDD setup. There is Steam Mover, though.

I am aware of pre caching and all that, but I'd still prefer to install it off of physical media. Not to mention ISPs moving to data caps pretty universally, as mine just did.

Yeah, Steam doesn't take up a huge hunk of resources, but it still takes some that just isn't necessary since it's not doing anything for me. I don't have any interest in chatting with people through Steam or the other junk.

Vashyron
Aug 20, 2011, 10:26 PM
Not to mention if it was on Steam....I could get a Spread Needle for my medic.... a Yasminkov for my sniper... and a Goldova Launcher for my Demoman.You know thinking about it, if a TF2 promotion of some sort was to happen it would be a great way to advertise PSO2.

Like when Spiral Knights was put on on Steam and had a TF2 promotion, the amount of players shot trough the damn roof. Some left after getting their precious TF2 hat, but many, many players stuck around.

BioWarrior
Aug 20, 2011, 10:36 PM
All sega would have to do is work a deal with valve to unlock a hat for Hat Fortress 2 and BOOM! Millions of sales will be had.

RikkiBlackNanobeast
Aug 20, 2011, 10:43 PM
All sega would have to do is work a deal with valve to unlock a hat for Hat Fortress 2 and BOOM! Millions of sales will be had.

Question is, what kind of hat could they do? :-?

Vashyron
Aug 20, 2011, 10:45 PM
Rappy's Severed Head.

:wacko:

BioWarrior
Aug 20, 2011, 10:45 PM
FOnewm hat. Obviously.

RikkiBlackNanobeast
Aug 20, 2011, 10:46 PM
I was thinking the head of a CAST. XP One that's borrowed, of course.

FOkyasuta
Aug 20, 2011, 11:44 PM
Phantasy Fortress 2 doesn't sound all that bad...

[SPOILER-BOX]To bad the PSO2 Part i do not dig.[/SPOILER-BOX]

Kent
Aug 21, 2011, 04:55 AM
You know thinking about it, if a TF2 promotion of some sort was to happen it would be a great way to advertise PSO2.

Like when Spiral Knights was put on on Steam and had a TF2 promotion, the amount of players shot trough the damn roof. Some left after getting their precious TF2 hat, but many, many players stuck around.
Have you seen the Deus Ex item pack? It's not necessarily limited to hats and other cosmetic items - there could actually be tie-in weapons, too, were Sega willing to strike a deal on it.

I wouldn't mind having my Medic have a MAG and a Slicer. :wacko:

LionHeart-
Aug 21, 2011, 08:25 AM
Is it only me or do you guys get BSOD when using Steam? I play Black ops every now and again but always a BSOD + Restart since day one... I've updated all my hardware but still?...

One reason it would be great using steam, is that we wouldn't have much need for other speak/chat/text programs, can also create groups on steam (PSOW Group?) and using it as pre-guild card system to, to see whos online. Achievements wouldn't be a bad idea either, but I don't want it to become a Xbox live - 'Iruberwithallachievementsunlocked'...

Zaix
Aug 21, 2011, 08:36 AM
If the achievements were hilariously easy like PSU's it wouldn't be much of a bragging right to have them all lol.

Canard de Bain
Aug 21, 2011, 09:08 AM
Is it only me or do you guys get BSOD when using Steam? I play Black ops every now and again but always a BSOD + Restart since day one... I've updated all my hardware but still?...

One reason it would be great using steam, is that we wouldn't have much need for other speak/chat/text programs, can also create groups on steam (PSOW Group?) and using it as pre-guild card system to, to see whos online. Achievements wouldn't be a bad idea either, but I don't want it to become a Xbox live - 'Iruberwithallachievementsunlocked'...

Nope. never.

Enforcer MKV
Aug 21, 2011, 09:45 AM

Uh, pardon me.....but WTF??

Copasetik
Aug 21, 2011, 09:50 AM
I would love to see PSO2 be sold on steam! But even if it doesn't or worst case scenario.. a JA release only. Everyone learn Japanese, if you haven't already ( I have not.. I will though). Post on any social network that you are playing PSO2! You should also connect it to steam and inform steam friends and force them to play it!

Japan will see how truly dedicated US PSO fans are and get us a US release! Then on the bright side, we now know Japanese!

Bulgereek Nookstain
Aug 21, 2011, 12:33 PM
Is it only me or do you guys get BSOD when using Steam? I play Black ops every now and again but always a BSOD + Restart since day one... I've updated all my hardware but still?...Nope. Sounds like you have a hardware/driver issue.

prowler_
Aug 21, 2011, 02:39 PM
I would love to see PSO2 be sold on steam! But even if it doesn't or worst case scenario.. a JA release only. Everyone learn Japanese, if you haven't already ( I have not.. I will though). Post on any social network that you are playing PSO2! You should also connect it to steam and inform steam friends and force them to play it!

Japan will see how truly dedicated US PSO fans are and get us a US release! Then on the bright side, we now know Japanese!You make it sound so easy to learn Japanese.

Bulgereek Nookstain
Aug 21, 2011, 02:40 PM
To be honest, you don't even really need to know much Japanese at all to be able to read 95% of the game, since it's almost all just katakana.

SephYuyX
Aug 21, 2011, 03:48 PM
Steam isnt Japanese, thusly PSO2 will not be released on it.

Vashyron
Aug 21, 2011, 03:56 PM
Now Put into practice.

PSO2 Gameguard still hates Steam Overlay. (Game crashes.)

kyuuketsuki
Aug 21, 2011, 05:38 PM
To be honest, you don't even really need to know much Japanese at all to be able to read 95% of the game, since it's almost all just katakana.
That percentage is a little high, unless you're just counting item names, which are pretty much entirely katakana. I've seen quite a bit of Kanji in the vids . However, it wouldn't be hard to just figure out what button does what and what associate the general look of the characters without actually learning what they mean and how to pronounce them.

BioWarrior
Aug 21, 2011, 05:48 PM
Steam isnt Japanese, thusly PSO2 will not be released on it.

Theres also the fact digital content doesn't do well in japan, they prefer to have disk based or not buy it at all. Look at Resident Evil 4 and Code Veronica X coming to xbox live and PSN. It's digital only for NA/EU and on a disc for japan.

Hatemachine
Aug 22, 2011, 04:19 PM
While I HOPE they release it Via Steam, I wouldn't hold my breath on it, after Segas last debacle with M$ and it's limitations and so forth, I would imagine they would rather just cut out the middle man altogether and handle the whole mess themselves this time.

No outside contracts to abide by, no having to have their hands tied due to outside contracting and license issues, just the customer, and Sega/Sonic team.

THAT'S the biggest worry I and many other people have, is a repeat of many of the things that drove folks away from PSU from the get go, Locked content on day one release, to some of you who may not know this the game RELEASED with Moatoob being unavailable for about a month or so, despite being available and playable ON THE DISC in single player.

as well as infrequent or non existent support and maintenance due to outside pressures and limitations from service providers, AK Microsoft and it's overly greedy and harsh XBL limitations that they aren't allowed to pin the blame on or even HINT at for the disparagingly large differences between the JP version and the NA/EU version.

I imagine sonic team would VERY MUCH like to avoid those issues again.

Mike
Aug 22, 2011, 04:33 PM
Theres also the fact digital content doesn't do well in japan, they prefer to have disk based or not buy it at all.
Digital content does fine. It's the PC platform that's floundering in Japan.

Bulgereek Nookstain
Aug 22, 2011, 08:45 PM
While I HOPE they release it Via Steam, I wouldn't hold my breath on it, after Segas last debacle with M$ and it's limitations and so forth, I would imagine they would rather just cut out the middle man altogether and handle the whole mess themselves this time.

No outside contracts to abide by, no having to have their hands tied due to outside contracting and license issues, just the customer, and Sega/Sonic team.

THAT'S the biggest worry I and many other people have, is a repeat of many of the things that drove folks away from PSU from the get go, Locked content on day one release, to some of you who may not know this the game RELEASED with Moatoob being unavailable for about a month or so, despite being available and playable ON THE DISC in single player.

as well as infrequent or non existent support and maintenance due to outside pressures and limitations from service providers, AK Microsoft and it's overly greedy and harsh XBL limitations that they aren't allowed to pin the blame on or even HINT at for the disparagingly large differences between the JP version and the NA/EU version.

I imagine sonic team would VERY MUCH like to avoid those issues again.Yes, but the point is that those issues don't really exist on Steam.

Dabian
Aug 22, 2011, 10:03 PM
Locked content or not, A Steam release would generate far more publicity and awareness than whatever marketing (if at all) Sega did with PSU.

Once the players know about it, it's up to Sega to either lock content and frustrate (assuming people had so little to do on launch day like in PSU) or release the whole package and (hopefully) keep people interested past the first 20 mins. (Contrary to what we might think, there are going to be those who WILL dislike the game after trying it).

And that's assuming content in PSO2 is "scarce" like it was in PSU. If not I vote for Steam too :)

Hatemachine
Aug 22, 2011, 10:04 PM
It's still a potential factor in their decision, at least I THINK it would be a concern worth mulling over if I had any say in it's release, as I don't there is no way to tell, just have to wait and see what develops.

Dabian
Aug 22, 2011, 10:10 PM
Also just to point out, Locking content isn't quite the same as future content. For those who didn't know, this whole beef about PSU's locked content stemmed from the actual data already existing on the disc itself, which was then unlocked in packets as "updates".

The more appropriate use of the word "update" means actual new content with regards to games. I certainly can understand from another perspective why Sega opted for the lock approach. But there was just so little to do on day 1 people got frustrated really soon.

ChronoTrigga
Aug 23, 2011, 05:43 AM
Locking shit is almost as bad as cock blocking. That's pretty fucking high Sega. lol

Zaix
Aug 23, 2011, 05:57 AM
The only content that should be locked is event stuff. (at least until they need to use it.) Everything else should be available from the get go.

When you think about it though, starting with all 8 planets with several missions on each almost seems like a bit too much at first. Not saying it shouldn't be available, just saying that it seems like a lot to take in all at once.

landman
Aug 23, 2011, 12:28 PM
Most of the locked content was only textures and raw data on the disc, the updates did not only unlock them, they put the stage blocks together, the enemy spawns, the weapon attributes...

AnnabellaRenee87
Aug 25, 2011, 04:02 PM
Ya know, If you kick and scream hard enough here http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1875526 you may just get your wishes and have it on Steam, and besides even if its not on Steam, you can just add a non Steam game and the Steam overlay will still work on it (Shift+Tab).

Vashyron
Aug 25, 2011, 04:05 PM
and besides even if its not on Steam, you can just add a non Steam game and the Steam overlay will still work on it (Shift+Tab).

Gameguard says otherwise.

AnnabellaRenee87
Aug 25, 2011, 04:09 PM
When you launch this games is it like how Blue Burst was back in the day with a launcher?

Vashyron
Aug 25, 2011, 04:14 PM
Yes, (bypassable with launch parameters though) but the problem is that Gameguard hates steam's overlay and does not let the game work if you use it.

•Col•
Aug 25, 2011, 04:14 PM
When you launch this games is it like how Blue Burst was back in the day with a launcher?

If you mean Gameguard, then yes, it's (unfortunately) back.

Vashyron
Aug 25, 2011, 04:20 PM
Though, turning off the steam overlay feature allows you to add it to Steam without Gameguard causing a fuss, but then there is even less of a point to do so.