PDA

View Full Version : I hope this time monsters get a decent A.I

Ifrian-x
Aug 20, 2011, 03:39 AM
I believe one of the major flaws of PSU was that, while characters were given a ton of spells, attacks and awesome moves to perform, monsters were left to their usual "Slowly walk against the enemy and then try to slash it, or throw a random fireball of a random element against them" which made combat kind of...boring, thus making the awesome battle system pointless.

Thus, to add challenge, the devs just decided to give monsters a ton of hp in the later levels or give them all spells such as megid and other "cheats" that did not really offer "challenge" as much as they just made some zones plainly annoying.

I hope this time around Sega will make it so that monsters follow different patterns and actions and actually give the players a moderate challenge without falling into the usual, boring 1 hit/ everything paralizes you/ everything causes 18 status effect bs that has been going in the past.

P.S: Do not get me wrong, i am not saying some mobs shouldnt have those status effects or megid, but when the game´s challenge is just that...something is wrong.

AfroGuy!
Aug 20, 2011, 03:44 AM
there should be an enemy thats like a shadow version of your self and does the mirror of EVERYTHING you do so that fighting it would probably kill you. that would make it so that you had to have at least one other player with you to defeat it. but not have more than one shadow of the same character cause that would be rediculous.

DirksOak
Aug 20, 2011, 03:56 AM
there should be an enemy thats like a shadow version of your self and does the mirror of EVERYTHING you do so that fighting it would probably kill you. that would make it so that you had to have at least one other player with you to defeat it. but not have more than one shadow of the same character cause that would be rediculous.

12 year old confirmed.

AfroGuy!
Aug 20, 2011, 05:20 AM
12 year old confirmed.

screw off guy. im not 12. it was JUST an idea that popped into my head after i read the OP

ShadowDragon28
Aug 20, 2011, 06:18 AM
pppf If it bleeds, we can kill it.

DirksOak
Aug 20, 2011, 06:36 AM
screw off guy. im not 12. it was JUST an idea that popped into my head after i read the OP

Sounds like something either a 12 year old or a sperg would come up with.

LOL EVIL CLONES OF UR CHARACTAR!!1

This is a PSO game. Enemies won't have decent AI ;D

Selphea
Aug 20, 2011, 06:45 AM
The enemies in Military Subway were pretty smart imo, you go after one rifleman and he kites you, while the others spam killer shot from behind, and then they buff and cast Resta >:|!

Sinue_v2
Aug 20, 2011, 07:28 AM
Enemies in later levels were given HP boosts to make them more difficult? I think you got that the other way around. When PSU first launched, enemies (especially big enemies like Jarba and Polavohra) took fucking forever to kill... which made their Dambarta & Megid spam an actual threat.

Though fighting them was more an exercise in tedium than resembling any kind of fun. At least now they died fast and get out of your way. I'd say PSP2 has a more fun and robust enemy AI to fight against, but that's more due to the tendency of everything in the room to target you and only you most of the time. The only "I" their AI got seems to be the realization that you are the only target that matters.

Still, I suppose it's better than PSO's half-baked idea of "increasing difficulty" being simply More Megid!. That shit is not cowbell, and it just gets frustrating and silly after a point.

Also, AfroGuy!. Your "shadow self" idea is really stupid. Just throwing that out there.

Angelo
Aug 20, 2011, 07:56 AM
The enemies in Military Subway were pretty smart imo, you go after one rifleman and he kites you, while the others spam killer shot from behind, and then they buff and cast Resta >:|!

Those levels were pretty annoying. I would definitely like to see more 'human' foes. I believe Sakai stated that we'd run into 'natives' of certain planets, so maybe we'll see more of that.

Also, I got a chuckle at how much AfroGuy got shot down. Poor kid.

Zyrusticae
Aug 20, 2011, 09:29 AM
Well.

I would expect at least marginally better AI this time around. Particularly since they have to deal with players that can dodge roll, fast-step, and phase out of attack range, in addition to the newly-added jump action. If the enemies are no more intelligent than in PSU, there WILL be issues.

Hrith
Aug 20, 2011, 10:08 AM
Still, I suppose it's better than PSO's half-baked idea of "increasing difficulty" being simply More Megid!. That shit is not cowbell, and it just gets frustrating and silly after a point.You're over-simplifying the difficulty of Ultimate Episode II.
The main difficulty of Phantasmal World #3 and especially #4, was not instant kill attacks, despite how numerous they were.

Furtheremore, Episode IV had no such attacks, and was still very difficult. The AI in Episode IV was greatly improved, too (not hard to improve when you start from nothing, mind).

As for PSU, the AI was rather good, not all enemies were liek 'CHARGE!' Most were not, actually.
What made PSU completely suck as far as difficulty was concerned was that they gave enemies greatly boosted attacks and reduced HP (namely all events did that), removing any form of challenge the game might have had, and making it nothing but cheap, cheap and more cheap.

PSO2 should keep a serious balance of enemy health and enemy power, if either is too low or too high, the game will suck. As for the AI, what I have seen so far and how it has evolved since 2000 bodes well.

Ifrian-x
Aug 22, 2011, 02:32 AM
Well.

I would expect at least marginally better AI this time around. Particularly since they have to deal with players that can dodge roll, fast-step, and phase out of attack range, in addition to the newly-added jump action. If the enemies are no more intelligent than in PSU, there WILL be issues.

This was exactly my concern.