PDA

View Full Version : Will all classes be getting at least a little magic?

Cephei Mordred
Aug 20, 2011, 03:44 PM
I've not actually really played PSO, but as I understand it, everyone got some techs of some kind, though forces got the most powerful ones.

Will it be the same in PSO2?

PALRAPPYS
Aug 20, 2011, 03:49 PM
It's difficult to say, since in PSO CASTs alone could not use magic. However, now that there are FOcasts, that means that they CAN use magic. So it's up to SEGA to decide if everyone who isn't a force gets magic this time around or not.

Pillan
Aug 20, 2011, 03:53 PM
On the bright side, so far PSU has been the only PSO sequel where specific class choices have no access to magic.

cyanprime
Aug 20, 2011, 04:18 PM
Heres hoping for buff and nerf techs for Rangers.

Edit: forgot the word techs lol

Zeota
Aug 20, 2011, 04:51 PM
Of course they do no good if people don't bother to use them. I've been in plenty a party with no fo and people conveniently forgetting they have that shit.

Angelo
Aug 20, 2011, 05:10 PM
I think this might be part of the subclass system. Just an assumption though.

I'm hoping that I can sacrifice all tech use for being a 'beefier' hunter through subclass and skill trees.

Vashyron
Aug 20, 2011, 05:20 PM
Subclass was removed from the skill trees in the Alpha though.

Serephim
Aug 20, 2011, 05:21 PM
People say its possible but i have yet to see unarmed / cross-class technique casting.

The moment i see a Humar throw a fireball though....ho boy

StriderTuna
Aug 20, 2011, 05:45 PM
honestly, I think HUcasts and RAcasts would have such low MST that outside of buffs, techs would be useless.

Kent
Aug 20, 2011, 06:18 PM
I've not actually really played PSO, but as I understand it, everyone got some techs of some kind, though forces got the most powerful ones.

Will it be the same in PSO2?
Right - in PSO, anyone who wasn't an Android could use techniques. The designated "hybrid" characters within the Hunter and Ranger classes (HUnewearl and RAmarl) could learn techniques up to level 20, HUmars and RAmars could learn them up to 15 (with the former being unable to learn buffs, and the latter unable to learn debuffs), and Forces could learn all techniques up to level 30, with Reverser (in PSO, this was a revival spell), Grants and Megid being Force-exclusive.

There was also some discrepancies with Anti (which removes status effects based on its level, but only has seven levels), and different Force characters had boosts in either potency or range to various different techniques.

However, in PSO, the ability to use techniques is the primary benefit to playing a character that isn't an Android. Without the ability to cast techniques, this benefit is lost and the character is left with an entire stat (that Androids lack - MST) that is completely useless to them, removing the point, entirely, of playing a character like that in the first place.

If they're smart, they'll do something similar - where anyone eligible to cast techniques can do so, regardless of their equipment, just Forces are better at it, as well as being able to equip rods to charge techniques.

Angelo
Aug 20, 2011, 09:04 PM
Come to think of it the only time I used a technic often (aside from Resta) in PSO as a HUmar was Gibarta. It had a fairly good chance to freeze enemies which made it incredibly useful for high level enemies since HUmar had awful accuracy.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing techs used for utility like this rather than being all about numbers and raw damage.

cyanprime
Aug 20, 2011, 09:23 PM
Indeed, Well Rangers have poison traps in PSO2 so heres hoping they're the status effect guys.

Cephei Mordred
Aug 20, 2011, 10:45 PM
Well the reason it's important to me is because I want the option to be a "magical warrior" type (or perhaps a magical rifleman), instead of being either a "hairless ape with fancy swords" or a "geek in robes who can't even throw a punch properly."

In other words, at least mentally if not actually, I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too.

Zeota
Aug 20, 2011, 10:46 PM
in PSO, anyone who wasn't an Android could use techniques. The designated "hybrid" characters within the Hunter and Ranger classes (HUnewearl and RAmarl) could learn techniques up to level 20, HUmars and RAmars could learn them up to 15 (with the former being unable to learn buffs, and the latter unable to learn debuffs), and Forces could learn all techniques up to level 30, with Reverser (in PSO, this was a revival spell), Grants and Megid being Force-exclusive.

I liked how they did this in GC/BB. I was a die-hard HUcast in my DC days but this made me go with a HUnewearl on GC. Oddly enough I ended up going back to my roots on BB. Then PSU came along and the whole SUV thing was just too good to pass up.

I've always been a fan of "fighter/mage" hybrids. I guess this is why I love blue mage in FFXI so much.

Angelo
Aug 20, 2011, 10:50 PM
Well the reason it's important to me is because I want the option to be a "magical warrior" type (or perhaps a magical rifleman), instead of being either a "hairless ape with fancy swords" or a "geek in robes who can't even throw a punch properly."

In other words, at least mentally if not actually, I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too.

I'll go with hairless ape with fancy axes, thank you.

StriderTuna
Aug 20, 2011, 11:39 PM

I'm not sure if that's quite doable outside of certain human classes. This isn't a 90s Squaresoft RPG.

Cephei Mordred
Aug 21, 2011, 12:27 AM
Strider, in PSU you could be any class you wanted anytime. But presumably this time we'll be stuck with whatever we choose at creation.

•Col•
Aug 21, 2011, 12:29 AM
Strider, in PSU you could be any class you wanted anytime. But presumably this time we'll be stuck with whatever we choose at creation.

lolwut

You can change your class whenever you want. Just not in the Alpha.

Cephei Mordred
Aug 21, 2011, 12:55 AM
Citation needed.

•Col•
Aug 21, 2011, 01:29 AM
Citation needed.

Well besides it being common sense with the fact that we have CLASS levels instead of character levels....

Alpha Test Restrictions
Can’t change your class while in the Alpha Test

http://bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-online-2-players-site-opens/

Cephei Mordred
Aug 21, 2011, 03:42 AM
1. I didn't really start closely following the PSO2 news until the alpha started

2. I didn't know we got class levels instead of character levels

•Col•
Aug 21, 2011, 04:09 AM
1. I didn't really start closely following the PSO2 news until the alpha started

2. I didn't know we got class levels instead of character levels

Hmm. Too bad we don't have some sort of post that has compiled pretty much every bit on info we have on PSO2 and only takes a few minutes to skim through. (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187376)

Cephei Mordred
Aug 21, 2011, 04:22 AM
u mad

Kent
Aug 21, 2011, 04:39 AM

People may try to undermine it, but the "battlemage" general archetype actually consisted of about a third of PSO's classes, in various capacities and balances - with HUnewearl, RAmarl, FOmar and FOmarl all encompassing the general character type (someone proficient with both a school of physical attacking as well as technique usage), just with the scales tipped in various ways for each one, due to core classes and races coming into play.

Because of this, being able to both cast techniques regardless of class, as well as regardless of equipment is very much a requisite character ability needed for a game to be considered a true successor to PSO - by enhancing the gameplay and dynamics that it had, instead of detracting from them.

My personal favorite classes to play were FOmar and HUnewearl, because I've always valued versatility over specialization, and playing effectively with that type of character is one of my strong points. And, you know, it's just fun. Considering how good everything else I've seen about PSO2 looks, I'm really hoping they don't screw this up like they did to such an immense magnitude in PSU.

DirksOak
Aug 21, 2011, 05:35 AM
People who didn't play the DC version in this thread!

Every class and race (apart from Casts) could cast every spell, including Reverser, Grants and Megid up to like level 20, in some cases (HUnewearl) 25.

This made the FO classes totally and completely USELESS in the DC days.

landman
Aug 21, 2011, 06:05 AM
However, in PSO, the ability to use techniques is the primary benefit to playing a character that isn't an Android. Without the ability to cast techniques, this benefit is lost and the character is left with an entire stat (that Androids lack - MST) that is completely useless to them, removing the point, entirely, of playing a character like that in the first place.
It is not a useless stat if you have weapons that deal damage based on that stat, like: rods, wands and slicers (Zero), RCSM (PSU), longbow (PSP2). My HUney caused havoc to bosses using the slicer in Zero :wacko:

•Col•
Aug 21, 2011, 06:06 AM
u mad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14

Just sayin' that you don't have an excuse to me uninformed.

Bushido
Aug 21, 2011, 06:09 AM
It is not a useless stat if you have weapons that deal damage based on that stat, like: rods, wands and slicers (Zero), RCSM (PSU), longbow (PSP2). My HUney caused havoc to bosses using the slicer in Zero :wacko:

What he's saying it that MST is a useless stat to Androids, and it is. They can't use it in any way whatsoever, and even if they could, it's permanently stuck at 0 anyway.

Spellbinder
Aug 21, 2011, 06:14 AM

Every class and race (apart from Casts) could cast every spell, including Reverser, Grants and Megid up to like level 20, in some cases (HUnewearl) 25.

This made the FO classes totally and completely USELESS in the DC days.

Techniques were limited to 15 in version 1 and the level was increased to 30 for forces in version 2 while everyone else stayed at level 15.

Hrith
Aug 21, 2011, 07:01 AM

This made the FO classes totally and completely USELESS in the DC days.People who did not play DC version in this post :wacko:

In PSO DC v1, HUmar, HUnewearl, RAmar, FOmarl, FOnewm and FOnewearl could use all technics up to Lv15. This did make Forces rather pointless, even if they had different stats and different roles.

In PSO DC v2, HUmar, HUnewearl, RAmar could use all technics up to Lv15, but FOmarl, FOnewm and FOnewearl could use all technics up to Lv30. No class had a technic cap of 20. Forces could not deal any damage, though, since even a max-level FOnewearl with Lv30 technics could barely deal 100 points of damage to enemies with 3000~5000 HP, but Lv30 S/D/J/Z were mandatory to play Mine and Ruins on Ultimate.

Spellbinder
Aug 21, 2011, 10:12 AM
People who did not play DC version in this post :wacko:

In PSO DC v1, HUmar, HUnewearl, RAmar, FOmarl, FOnewm and FOnewearl could use all technics up to Lv15. This did make Forces rather pointless, even if they had different stats and different roles.

In PSO DC v2, HUmar, HUnewearl, RAmar could use all technics up to Lv15, but FOmarl, FOnewm and FOnewearl could use all technics up to Lv30. No class had a technic cap of 20. Forces could not deal any damage, though, since even a max-level FOnewearl with Lv30 technics could barely deal 100 points of damage to enemies with 3000~5000 HP, but Lv30 S/D/J/Z were mandatory to play Mine and Ruins on Ultimate.

Thank you for being more specific than me.

Enforcer MKV
Aug 21, 2011, 02:53 PM
nope.avi - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14)

Just sayin' that you don't have an excuse to me uninformed.

-click at own risk-

[SPOILER-BOX]WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHA![/SPOILER-BOX]

Kent
Aug 21, 2011, 09:08 PM
You may have noticed that I was talking about PSO, and not PSU and the handheld games.

Within the context of PSO, weapons dealt damage based on ATP alone, MST had exactly three effects: It increases technique damage dealt (by a rather small amount), it increases your maximum TP, and it is the requirement stat for learning technique disks.

We also know from the alpha videos we've seen that Rods do in fact have a physical attack power stat (attack powers per weapon are rated with red for melee damage, blue for ranged damage, and yellow for technique damage - rods have red and yellow power stats, much like how gunslashes have red and blue stats), which leads us to believe that they are likely not based on technique power for attacking physically with them.

This is my point: If Hunters and Rangers cannot cast techniques on their own, then the technique power stat (whatever they decide to call it in English) is completely useless as far as we know to those classes. Therefore, since playing as a Human or Newman has a primary benefit of being able to use techniques well or exceptionally-well (respectively), this stat would have absolutely no use to those classes, and therefore, an Android character would be almost universally-better than them as these classes.

If Hunters and Rangers can, in fact, cast techniques, then there is no such problem - because those two races no longer have a meaningless stat to them. At the same time, it opens up a lot of possibilities for hybrid styles of gameplay, which were a primary component to PSO across all of its versions.

StriderTuna
Aug 22, 2011, 03:30 AM
>Force weapons not drawing upon Tech for damage.

Might as well hope that PSO2 doesn't give enemies absurd resistances in harder difficulties.