PDA

View Full Version : Hyperdimension Neptunia-- Wait, SEGA had something to do with this?

KoolAidPitcher
Aug 21, 2011, 02:00 PM
In the mysterious world of Gameindustri there exists 4 consoles. Purple Heart, also known as Neptune (for Sega Neptune); Green Heart, also known as Xbox; Black Heart, also known as Playstation; and finally, White Heart, also known as Wii. These four consoles battle endlessly, until one day, they decide to banish Sega Neptune to the human world below. Wait a minute... what the hell am I playing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd1kAxNFKwg

The craziest thing about this game is that Sega of Japan had something to do with this game, and it's obvious. There are many, many references to Phantasy Star (One of the trophies even spells Phantasy), I have my Caliburn and photons, and the Sega Neptune and I are ready to free the gameindustri world of the console war once and for all. I've defeated pixelvaders while exploring forests, caves, mines, and ruins, and really, the whole thing feels like a crazy homage to Phantasy Star, and to Sega.

Those looking to get Hyperdimension Neptunia should know that Nippon Ichi Software only had one printing of the game in the United States, and it is now out of print. The game sold a lot better than expected, and is currently going for absurd amounts on Amazon-- Hopefully NIS will print a second run of this game.

Emp
Aug 21, 2011, 05:23 PM
I will say this..

The outfit are sooo moe and cute <3. Can you post a link to where I can buy this game?

KoolAidPitcher
Aug 21, 2011, 05:38 PM
I will say this..

The outfit are sooo moe and cute <3. Can you post a link to where I can buy this game?

Amazon is about the only place left. NIS games are made in small quantities and often don't get reprinted once the initial run ends. Sorry!

Keilyn
Aug 21, 2011, 05:39 PM
Cute? Yes...

A game to take seriously? Absolutely not. ^_^

Ah yes...the Japanese......creating the world's strangest shit since 1946!

This was done before in the form of a comic called Troubled Windows...which introduced the idea of the OS-Girls like XP-TAN, ME-TAN, etc....also with Mac OS Girls and Program Girls...

All of the characters here in this video look very close to the Console-Tans in Troubled Windows and their evolution.

Ceresa
Aug 21, 2011, 05:52 PM
This was the worst game I played this year, by far.

The console war humor peaks in the first 10 minutes and degenerates into vapid anime bickering ever after, the battles are endlessly spamming L2 to skip the 20 battle animations per character per turn, and the dungeon design is identical to Trinity Universe (nonexistent, 1 floor per dungeon with a couple branching paths that dead end quickly). Pretty sure there was only like 4 bosses repeated over and over too. Healing system sucked ass too, though I forget the specifics.

It's completely style over substance, and when you can youtube the cutscenes for your moe fix there's little reason to actually play, much less pay the now inflated price for this trash.

KoolAidPitcher
Aug 21, 2011, 06:02 PM

The console war humor peaks in the first 10 minutes and degenerates into vapid anime bickering ever after, the battles are endlessly spamming L2 to skip the 20 battle animations per character per turn, and the dungeon design is identical to Trinity Universe (nonexistent, 1 floor per dungeon with a couple branching paths that dead end quickly). Pretty sure there was only like 4 bosses repeated over and over too. Healing system sucked ass too, though I forget the specifics.

It's completely style over substance, and when you can youtube the cutscenes for your moe fix there's little reason to actually play, much less pay the now inflated price for this trash.

The game is certainly not terrific, but I have really liked it so far, and feel compelled to complete it. I'm about 10% through the game (according to the menu), but so far it has not gotten old.

Shinji Kazuya
Aug 21, 2011, 06:26 PM
The second game, Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2, is waaaaaayyyy better than the first.

Xefi
Aug 21, 2011, 06:32 PM
i like the songs in this game. :cat:
i would buy it if Nis America release the second shipment of this game with a cheaper
price. no way i'm buying this game for over $99. if they dont rerelease the game, i'll
just wait for Neptunia MK2 and buy it from Nis Store because it's probably going to be rare again.

and...lol @ THUNDER TITS comment from White Heart. :pizza:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D2G0RJbHMM&feature=related

KoolAidPitcher
Aug 21, 2011, 06:35 PM
The second game, Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2, is waaaaaayyyy better than the first.

Does Sega have anything to do with the development of the second game?

Shinji Kazuya
Aug 21, 2011, 06:50 PM
I don't know mate. I only know it's developed by Idea Factory and Compile Heart. Compile Heart is a division of Idea Factory.

Mantiskilla
Aug 21, 2011, 08:20 PM
I don't know mate. I only know it's developed by Idea Factory and Compile Heart. Compile Heart is a division of Idea Factory.

Compile Heart...well gotta love Thunder Force V & VI that's for sure.

Split
Aug 21, 2011, 10:31 PM
At the risk of sounding like a troll, this looks like the most inane, unfunny game I've ever seen. Japan's really dropping the ball lately in the whole game-making thing.

EDIT: Also, nothing pisses me off more than the inane "cutscenes" that have pervaded recent JRPGs with voiced scrolling text, pictures of static anime characters moving their lips out of sync with the dialogue, and an equally static background. Here's a tip, Japanese game developers: next time you find yourself with a low budget and a shitty, cliched anime concept (a bunch of hyper-sexualized or just plain stupid looking characters all in gonzo outfits battling for some arbitrary title like "Greatest Ninja in the World" or "Best Pirate Ever," completely stupid "humor" aside) just make a Tetris knockoff instead. Seriously, it's jst the same thing over and over again, the same exact plot with different character names and different names for the same boring turn-based battle system. It's fucking killing me!

FOkyasuta
Aug 21, 2011, 10:43 PM
At the risk of sounding like a troll, this looks like the most inane, unfunny game I've ever seen. Japan's really dropping the ball lately in the whole game-making thing.

^ I totally faucking agree. But japan will always be. Effn Japan.

Nitro Vordex
Aug 21, 2011, 11:21 PM
Honestly just looks like more material for Xefi photoshops more fanservice. And LOTS of underboob/cleavage.

Looks incredibly generic too. I guess people have different ideas of cute.

StriderTuna
Aug 22, 2011, 02:56 AM

Welcome to Idea factory, folks truly guilty of rehashing things (in contrast to the Tales series constantly refining or improving their game engines)

Also a company with a supposedly bad rep in japan.

i like the songs in this game. :cat:
i would buy it if Nis America release the second shipment of this game with a cheaper
price. no way i'm buying this game for over $99. if they dont rerelease the game, i'll
just wait for Neptunia MK2 and buy it from Nis Store because it's probably going to be rare again.

and...lol @ THUNDER TITS comment from White Heart. :pizza:

Hyperdimension Neptunia- The Soul Of Fight - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D2G0RJbHMM&feature=related)

Rare games are rare, though NISA might be on hard times if all they're releasing is their inhouse games and Idea Factory stuff.

Does Sega have anything to do with the development of the second game?

Dunno but Keiji Inafune was involved with MkII (He's the former head Mega Producer)

Compile Heart...well gotta love Thunder Force V & VI that's for sure.

I'm not sure if Compile Heart did work on that as opposed to the original Compile company.

EDIT: Also, nothing pisses me off more than the inane "cutscenes" that have pervaded recent JRPGs with voiced scrolling text, pictures of static anime characters moving their lips out of sync with the dialogue, and an equally static background. Here's a tip, Japanese game developers: next time you find yourself with a low budget and a shitty, cliched anime concept (a bunch of hyper-sexualized or just plain stupid looking characters all in gonzo outfits battling for some arbitrary title like "Greatest Ninja in the World" or "Best Pirate Ever," completely stupid "humor" aside) just make a Tetris knockoff instead. Seriously, it's jst the same thing over and over again, the same exact plot with different character names and different names for the same boring turn-based battle system. It's fucking killing me!

You shouldn't judge a whole genre based on what one company makes (though honestly we've been getting flooded with Idea Factory games as of late, Neptunia/Cross edge/Trinity universe from NISA, and Agarest from Aksys works)

Honestly just looks like more material for Xefi photoshops more fanservice. And LOTS of underboob/cleavage.

Looks incredibly generic too. I guess people have different ideas of cute.

typical fanservice is never artsy but greatest neckbeard factor. That and it's Idea Factory.

Mantiskilla
Aug 22, 2011, 08:28 AM
Yeah don't know what I was thinking there as Thunder Force VI was published by Technosoft after looking at my PS2 box haha. Compile Heart is however a team that is made up of people from the old Compile company which gave us games like M.U.S.H.A and Alien Crush....both which are awesome shumps

Split
Aug 22, 2011, 10:54 PM
You shouldn't judge a whole genre based on what one company makes (though honestly we've been getting flooded with Idea Factory games as of late, Neptunia/Cross edge/Trinity universe from NISA, and Agarest from Aksys works)If you think that's what I'm doing, then I'm saying it wrong. Don't get me wrong, I love Final Fantasy, with X being one of my favorite games of all time; I played through all 3 Xenosaga games and Lost Odyssey and thoroughly enjoyed them all, I have fond memories of Tales of Symphonia for GCN, Skies of Arcadia Legends was another one of my favorite games of all time, Dark Cloud and Rogue Galaxy, Kingdom Hearts, etc. Hell, PSO counts to some degree! JRPGs are one of my favorite subgenres when done correctly.

All the above games I mentioned were made by great companies (Square, Level 5, Overworks, etc.), have innovative plots with solid to excellent character development, and were good enough to warrant a localization team that actually gave a shit. The JRPGs we don't need are Battle Heart Mecha Okay! or Eternal Saga of Beautiful Worlds, the ones that seem to come out every week as of late with their crappy knockoff battle systems that involve no real strategy, poorly delivered stories that play out like they're all from the same mad-lib with different names in the blanks for each game, Excel spreadsheet interfaces, and ridiculous amounts of decade-plus-old gameplay design decisions.

I love JRPGs approximately 1,000 times more than anyone who even likes this game a little bit, because I want the sub-genre to escape the fiery death that these kinds of dial-a-games surely mean it's hurtling towards.

StriderTuna
Aug 23, 2011, 11:13 AM
If you think that's what I'm doing, then I'm saying it wrong. Don't get me wrong, I love Final Fantasy, with X being one of my favorite games of all time; I played through all 3 Xenosaga games and Lost Odyssey and thoroughly enjoyed them all, I have fond memories of Tales of Symphonia for GCN, Skies of Arcadia Legends was another one of my favorite games of all time, Dark Cloud and Rogue Galaxy, Kingdom Hearts, etc. Hell, PSO counts to some degree! JRPGs are one of my favorite subgenres when done correctly.

All the above games I mentioned were made by great companies (Square, Level 5, Overworks, etc.), have innovative plots with solid to excellent character development, and were good enough to warrant a localization team that actually gave a shit. The JRPGs we don't need are Battle Heart Mecha Okay! or Eternal Saga of Beautiful Worlds, the ones that seem to come out every week as of late with their crappy knockoff battle systems that involve no real strategy, poorly delivered stories that play out like they're all from the same mad-lib with different names in the blanks for each game, Excel spreadsheet interfaces, and ridiculous amounts of decade-plus-old gameplay design decisions.

I love JRPGs approximately 1,000 times more than anyone who even likes this game a little bit, because I want the sub-genre to escape the fiery death that these kinds of dial-a-games surely mean it's hurtling towards.

I think outside of the whole Idea factory thing, the generic jRPG won't be popping up so much as with the troubles recent FFs have been encountering, it's not such a popular genre anymore. If anything expect more generic small time wRPGs.

Though it might be due to all the copy cats after FFVII or so that the jRPG backlash started to build up. Idea factory stuff stands out the most due to how fast the general localization rate is. For every jRPG classic, there's 20 or generics.

Sexy_Raine
Aug 25, 2011, 02:42 AM
Hyperdimension Neptune is suppose to represent console wars, and yes TC, Sega is represented in this game. There is an attack disc called Shinobi, and others relating to Sega.

There's also multiple companies that actually gave CompileHeart the permission to be represented in the game in the form of a character. Sega, NIS, Gust, and 5PB are all developers that are represented. Hyperdimension Neptune MK2 which was just released in JP will have Cave and Falcom.

Now about HN itself. It could've been a lot better, the dungeon designs are so dull, and gameplay is slow. and my biggest complaint is being stuck with 3 characters most of the game. You don't get the other Goddesses until the last dungeon appears. I love using White Heart and White Heart, I ditched Compa and IF as soon as I got them.

Hyperdimension Neptune mk2 looks much better though, I was watching it on JustinTV livestream. There's a good chance NISA will localize it in early 2012.

StriderTuna
Aug 25, 2011, 07:48 PM
I'm sure they'll go about localizing it, NISA is if anything good about that, though I'm sure some folks will groan at effort spent towards yet another IF game.

yoshiblue
Aug 25, 2011, 08:45 PM
I know I would have done the animations differently if I had a say in it. As would many others. Heck I would do them myself if I had to. As...would....many others. Well don't I feel special.