PDA

View Full Version : Idea about crafting in pso2

lostinseganet
Aug 21, 2011, 06:48 PM
I know I know. Plenty of peole hated crafting in psu, and want it to die a horrible death before pso2...How about instead of crafting weapons, people craft items for the apartments we are going to get in pso2. People loved those items in psu, and it would not break the game. What do you think?

NoiseHERO
Aug 21, 2011, 06:49 PM
This game has crafting.

(I think)

Shinji Kazuya
Aug 21, 2011, 06:53 PM
Maybe.

Serephim
Aug 21, 2011, 07:02 PM
i'd never waste my time. There was nothing more annoying in PSU than to get a rare, high-star boss drop, only to find out it's only useful for synthing a room decoration.

Ark22
Aug 21, 2011, 07:03 PM
no =(

•Col•
Aug 21, 2011, 07:48 PM
This game has crafting.

(I think)

There is. It was mentioned when the game was first announced.

He's asking about crafting room decorations/furniture though.

Temprus
Aug 21, 2011, 08:06 PM
Sounds interesting to me. If you do it right, you end up with a cool room decor. Do it wrong and you end up with a ugly statue or a doodle painting. Reminds me of Star Ocean. ^^

Masterflower
Aug 21, 2011, 08:13 PM
If I can craft my Little Azunyan again, sure.

Fox2Tails
Aug 21, 2011, 08:51 PM
As long as it doesn't bring into the game a pile of useless crap what takes over a lot of the drops

lostinseganet
Aug 21, 2011, 10:07 PM
As long as it doesn't bring into the game a pile of useless crap what takes over a lot of the drops
well that would probably happen more than 30% of the time...

SELENNA
Aug 21, 2011, 10:21 PM
Fight epic dragon
Get an aquarium

YAY!

Zeota
Aug 21, 2011, 10:26 PM
So long as they don't bring back PSU's earlier days of crafting. 24 hours to make an S-rank weapon and have the chance of getting a monomate instead? No thanks.

lostinseganet
Aug 21, 2011, 11:20 PM
Fight epic dragon
Get an aquarium

YAY!
Thats the spirit!

StriderTuna
Aug 22, 2011, 02:58 AM
Nope, Crafting systems in MMORPGs are nothing more than a time wasting pain, even if it is for pointless items like decorations.

DirksOak
Aug 22, 2011, 03:46 AM
I loved crafting items in PSU.

Yeah, finding 100 rare drops to have a 98% chance to make a Monomate was awesome.

Orochinagi
Aug 22, 2011, 04:19 AM
Absolutely not. It was hard enough to get things to drop as it is, and then you had to craft them on top of that? Hell no. Honestly, I think part of the synthesis function on PSU was a ploy that assisted with covering up the slow micro-feeding of weapon content. PSO had much more variety AND some weapons came pre-grinded.

Orochinagi
Aug 22, 2011, 04:25 AM
If anything, I'd rather accept something like weapon-fusion (similar to KUF: COD) with more unique possibilities for everyone.

BlackCosmic
Aug 22, 2011, 04:38 AM
How about if we just keep shops ?

Bushido
Aug 22, 2011, 04:47 AM
I see crafting as an alternative to a proper "drop" and rarity system, which PSO (and PSU for that matter) already had. When you have to synthesize an item that already has a low chance of being acquired in the first place, you're just making the process a lot more annoying, especially when there's a good chance that said item will end up going to waste.

Noel Vermillion
Aug 22, 2011, 04:55 AM
I didn't play PSU that much, but I couldn't be bothered with the synthing process because it never seemed to work :/

I also wasn't a fan of shops, but that's just me.

Orochinagi
Aug 22, 2011, 07:08 AM
I liked the old PSO way of having no shops because it added a more personal interactive experience due to having to trade for items. Meseta was pretty much just for buying recovery items and the occassional ??? items that you wanted to unlock. The only positive thing about PSU shops was the fact that you can still obtain an item from another person without them having to be currently logged on. If they could combine these in a way such as, having the player shops but for each item, instead of selling for meseta, they could give you the alternative to place your item for sale, but the conditions of the sale could be changed to the possible items you would accept for trade, along with whatever percentage range you would allow. I.E.- I place a Agito Repca+12 100% Native in my shop in exchange for a Psycho Wand +12 50 to 100% Machine. And you had a Psycho Wand that met my conditions, it would allow you to exchange with my shop, without me being there. Creative idea, but I HIGHLY doubt that Sega will employ something like this in PSO2.

Zeota
Aug 22, 2011, 07:36 AM
Ehh I didn't mind the shops as it helped make PSU's meseta far more valuable than PSO's. Once you reached the upper levels of PSO, all money was good for was buying consumables and fuel for charge weapons.

NoiseHERO
Aug 22, 2011, 10:06 AM
Wow you guys are silly...

"Crafting in any form is a waste of time, even if it's only related to extra things."

Wait... isn't the concept of playing video games in general about wasting time? Especially online ones these days?

Zynetic
Aug 22, 2011, 10:29 AM
Enjoying yourself through a form of entertainment is not wasting time.

That being said, a crafting system similar to Star Ocean's (as Temprus pointed out earlier in the thread) would be interesting, but hopefully not for equipment. ._.

moorebounce
Aug 22, 2011, 11:02 AM
Buying the items for your room was bad enough. At least you should have been able to sit on that toilet they called a fountain. If the things you got actually helped in some way then I would love it.

Tetsaru
Aug 22, 2011, 06:02 PM
I would love to see crafting in PSO2, but it would need to be drastically different than how it was in PSU. I'd prefer it would be something a bit more skill-based and less dependent on random number generators and percentages. I believe I posted videos in several other threads of crafting "minigames" from games like Fable 3 and Final Fantasy XIV - something similar to those perhaps, but take it a bit further.

Let's say in order to make a basic sword, you need some sort of wood for the grip (something like Parum Ash, perhaps), some metal for the hilt and blade (Stelnium, etc.), some sort of Photon for the edge, and then some sort of catalyst item to start the whole process of assembling it (something like the Kerseline/Junaline/etc. items, but not near as many different kinds so they don't become useless, perhaps one kind each for C, B, A, and S-rank items). However, you could swap out different grades of materials or add completely new ones to help influence different properties of the weapon: Ray-Photons instead of neutral Photons, Moatoob Ebony instead of Neudaiz Oak, Gachnium instead of Ydral, adding in things like Diads... things like that.

In terms of how and when one can do these things... I'm not entirely sure. I didn't like the idea of having to dump money into periodically feeding a PM to boost its stats, but at the same time, I could see MAG's being able to perform that role on top of just normally boosting their stats to influence your own. Or, there could be a completely separate job or skill level devoted to crafting, similar to how FFXIV does it... I dunno, something like that.

Oh, and in regards to the room decoration things like the Onmagoug Heads and De Ragan statues... I'd prefer to see those as some sort of bonus reward (perhaps from a guild, like my Section ID guild idea) where they give you those items as a sort of "trophy" for bringing down a boss for the first time. On higher ranks, they could offer things like a De Ragan Sword, or an Onmagoug Staff, etc.

ShadowDragon28
Aug 22, 2011, 08:27 PM
IMO, "crafting" should be kept to a select few special weapons like the monster parts weapons in PSO, and NOT dominate the game's items.

Crafting some item/weapon/room item should be OPTIONAL, and not a major focus of the game. Enemies should drop most of the rare, high star weapons, armor, units as ready to use (class level/stats requirements met) and not just item boards.

IMO, 90% of room items should be purchasable from a shop. Crafting room decorations was really lame and a waste of materials in PSU IMO.

Dabian
Aug 22, 2011, 10:26 PM
-Crafting "failure" is not acceptable in this day and age. What it says it'll make, should make what it says it'll make.

-Materials are nice, but PSU had WAY too many to keep track of. And eventually they were just clusters of text with no "ooh I found x" feel.

-Crafting time investment should be spent collecting, not waiting for the item to be made.

Tetsaru
Aug 22, 2011, 11:52 PM
Another idea: Instead of PSU's boards, you could find synthesis recipes, which could simply be added to a list in a menu of some sort, and wouldn't take up any inventory space, and you would only need to find them ONCE. From that point, as long as you had the proper materials listed in that recipe, you could make as many copies of that item as you wanted, provided you had the right proficiencies or levels to make it in the first place.

The Last Baron
Aug 23, 2011, 12:03 AM
Yeah, I Think That It Would Be Pretty Cool Especially If They Do Crafting The Same Way Minecraft Did. Man That Game Is Awesome. Who Else Thinks So?

HeartBreak301
Aug 23, 2011, 12:06 AM
Remove the failure rate that PSU had and I don't see a problem as long as the shit doesn't take months to acquire.

Serephim
Aug 23, 2011, 12:37 AM
I liked the old PSO way of having no shops because it added a more personal interactive experience due to having to trade for items. Meseta was pretty much just for buying recovery items and the occassional ??? items that you wanted to unlock. The only positive thing about PSU shops was the fact that you can still obtain an item from another person without them having to be currently logged on. If they could combine these in a way such as, having the player shops but for each item, instead of selling for meseta, they could give you the alternative to place your item for sale, but the conditions of the sale could be changed to the possible items you would accept for trade, along with whatever percentage range you would allow. I.E.- I place a Agito Repca+12 100% Native in my shop in exchange for a Psycho Wand +12 50 to 100% Machine. And you had a Psycho Wand that met my conditions, it would allow you to exchange with my shop, without me being there. Creative idea, but I HIGHLY doubt that Sega will employ something like this in PSO2.

I have to disagree with this. PSU's My Room feature was amazing, ESPECIALLY for trading items.

I absolutely loved the item search feature, and then getting to walk into other peoples rooms to see all their stuff and warez they were selling.

I'd never want to see that go. I just...dont want a rare item to drop, just to find out it's a lawn chair.

or even worse:

*Synth Kan Yu board*

*2 hours later*

*monomate*

kyuuketsuki
Aug 23, 2011, 02:20 AM
I have to disagree with this. PSU's My Room feature was amazing, ESPECIALLY for trading items.

I absolutely loved the item search feature, and then getting to walk into other peoples rooms to see all their stuff and warez they were selling.

I'd never want to see that go. I just...dont want a rare item to drop, just to find out it's a lawn chair.

or even worse:

*Synth Kan Yu board*

*2 hours later*

*monomate*
Totally concur. Loved the shopping experience and going to people's rooms. Just not the abysmal chance for successful synthing after acquiring various rare materials and getting excited over a red box just to find some silly room deco.

Tetsaru
Aug 23, 2011, 01:49 PM
If there's one thing PSU got right despite all of its mistakes, it was the shop search function. You could search by all sorts of filters: rarity, item type, elemental %, which one was the cheapest, etc., and then you could warp directly to the room that was selling it. Granted, there were a few small things that made searching a bit difficult (like searching for "Psycho Wand" giving you a bunch of other wand weapons), but other than that, I thought it was very well done. I hope PSO2 uses something similar.

JC10001
Aug 23, 2011, 04:17 PM
No. I don't want any crafting in this game. I hated it in PSU. Like someone said, the rares hardly ever dropped and then when they did you would usually either fail or get a crappy elemental percentage.

Marthebeast
Aug 31, 2011, 03:31 PM
If anything, I'd rather accept something like weapon-fusion (similar to KUF: COD) with more unique possibilities for everyone.

I like that Idea "Weapon Fusion". I think SEGA should consider it. That's different.

chibiLegolas
Sep 2, 2011, 12:37 PM
Crafting sucked the fun out of PSU. PSO worked perfectly fine without it.
And I don't want to waste hours working on crafting items when I could be out hunting for rares, NOT rare parts.

Serephim
Sep 2, 2011, 12:48 PM
PSO's simple systems worked perfect for just about everything.

Materials increased stats without having to go through most crap that other games put you through

Grinders increased strength on weapons without some ridiculous synthesis system requiring an NPC, tons of stupid items, success/failure rates, blah blah

Mags allowed you to increased stats without some ridiculous "rebirth system" that forces you to endure grinding AGAIN (who actually enjoys that?)

Tekkers allowed you to find weapons with varied stats and special abilies without a synthesis system

And finally, S-rank weapons eventually gave players a system for weapon customization, even if it was only on a single model.

If there's ever a synthesis system, i want it to be like PSO's S-rank weapon system, where you simply gather items and fuse them into your weapon to increase specific stats. No failure rates, no breaking. Just experimentation and constant improvement.

THAT is a good synthesis system. All this failure crap is just to purposfully set you back so you'll feel like you have to keep playing longer. However if they just slightly lower the rate of your increase (have the increasing items be somewhat rare), then there's no problem!

Edit:

More importantly, MAGs and Materials allowed you to not only increase your character beyond limits / without leveling, but they also allowed you to increase your character without even PLAYING your character. As materials are long sought after for higher-ranked characters, they can always be made a high-value market item that still gives Meseta a use after you've hit lv200 (among other things, of course) If that isn't a great way to enjoy multiple alts, then i dont know what is, man. PSO's systems may have had a few flaws, but they were genius ideas.

Zorafim
Sep 2, 2011, 12:57 PM
Give me instant craft time (or at least, less than one minute per item max), give me a reduced number of materials (such that there aren't more materials than consumables), and give me a 100% success rate. Then I'll start liking crafting.
Sorry to switch games on you, but one thing that WoW does terrible with its crafting is having too many items, which might take so long to get that you may as well just hunt for already made gear with better stats, at least in low levels. The only reason to craft in that game is if you're already capped, in which case you need to spend weeks getting the craft from 1 to the current cap. Once you already reach cap, however, crafting becomes much better. You only need to deal with a few different types of materials for basic gear, and hunting the items for high end gear is not much more work than getting them normally.

So, what would I hope for with PSO2's crafting (I'm sure you're asking me. No? Well I'm telling you anyway)? Well, I like the idea of crafting your own room materials, first of all. However, they should all use the same materials to craft them (none of this 1% drop rate dragon's fang to make a dragon's head), so that you're just spending items you're getting anyway, and making something you really want is just a matter of saving up. And same for weapons, though maybe making the materials tiered might be a better idea (each rank of a mission dropping a material type corresponding to that mission level, so that your bags aren't filled with obsolete materials).
People don't like the idea of hunting for weapon parts instead of just the weapon. However, I kinda like the idea of making your own custom weapon. As an example, I don't want to go around hunting for a spear, then end up getting an axe. Sure, one might say that trading the axe for a spear someone else got might be fun, but I kinda like the idea of finding a few items, and fusing them together to make my own spear. That being said, I didn't like PSU's crafting. There were far too many items to keep track of, and they took up far too much bag space. Keep the material count simple, and we might have a fun system.

Serephim
Sep 2, 2011, 01:25 PM
crafting systems always fail because they simply try to be too intricate, and in doing so simply discourage you from ever wasting your time trying it because it's usually not worth it.

Those who are masochistic enough to actually use it to the fullest get far in the game. But it's never been enough for most people to care, which is why they're not good for gameplay.

Just look at FF14.