PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex Human Revolution (Review)

Keilyn
Aug 23, 2011, 05:41 AM
Hello Everyone.

Here is my review of the game as it unlocked this morning and I've been playing it. I promise to not spoil anything crazy since hey, its uncool to spend money on a game and have someone blab the story away..

A background:

Deus Ex Human Revolution was developed by Eidos Montreal and published by Square-Enix. The Development Team were fans of the original Deus Ex and like most DXers and DXMP (Deus Ex Multiplayer) players, we hated Deus Ex Invisible War with a passion. So much so that in 3 months after DXIW was released the game went to bargain bins and sold for half the price of the original. Then when Ion Storm went down and Project Snowblind (which was going to be called originally Deus Ex Clan Wars) was a failure....a team got together starting from modders and mappers of the original Deus Ex and with a lot of planning and luck, Eidos Montreal was founded. DXHR was a mission of love and revenge at the same time.

I came from the original community back in 2000 from the original DX and was a mapper/modder and helped a lot with the servers. The original was my favorite singleplayer due to its depth and content. It was a first person game in the form of a roleplaying game that was based on skill leveling rather than character exp levels. Had multiple endings....and a killer story you learn more about each time you play through.

Now for some ADVICE:

DXHR, the latest in the series reminds me of F.E.A.R and Doom 3/Quake 4. Unlike Crysis where maximum graphics are just for eye candy, the other games I mentioned really made use of the graphic technology to help the environment and even help the player and the mood. It wasn't just EYE CANDY, just like playing Oblivion without HDR is unforgivable.

You pretty much don't want to play this game on minimum graphics....It will get you killed if you turn of shadows because when you see explosions you really look for shadows moving in order to set up your shots.

If you bought this game through Steam do yourself the favor and DO NOT HOVER OVER the achievements possible because that alone will ruin the game.

Since I did not care about Deus Ex Invisible War, I will compare the game to the ORIGINAL:

Common Things between DX and DXHR

~You still make choices and depending on your actions a mission can end well or end destructive. Once again you can go through an entire mission without killing an enemy or you can go through a mission destroying everything. Its not just about "how to kill" but actually what you do as you are rewarded based on what you do and how you pick your choices.

~The rooms like the original are filled with a lot of detail (for its time) and LOTS of information. You can hack computers again to read emails, read tablets to get information about the world and talk to people and listen to news telecasts.

~Items are everywhere....Back are the junk food you can use for some health regeneration.

Differences between DX and DXHR

~DX was a first person game, DXHR is third person. It allows you to find and hide behind cover. Takes a while getting used to since the first 2 DX games were First Person Games...

~While NanoAugmentations are back (no, its not a spoiler since everyone expected them to return since those are central to the game) but the system is different. You'll warm up to it fast.

~If you run the game on max settings the loading times will be there from map to map. The original DX loaded fast. This one in some places took as long as a minute to load and im on SLI 480, but yeah I am playing on max settings.

~DXHR has full motion video scenes and in-game scenes. Full Motion Scenes can be skipped, In-Game Scenes can not be skipped. The original DX had in-game scenes only except the PS2 version which had some Full Motion Video to dumb down the intensity of the game, but to make the ending shine.

~Permament Crouch...you don't hold down crouch button anymore, you simply press it and you crouch, but in exchange you get a sprint key so now you dont have to go after a speed aug in order to move faster than someone who is on his way to the bathroom...

~DXHR conforms to the one-health system of most shooters. Being hit in the head of course does more damage against you than torso. Yes! You do have HIT LOCATIONS, but its not like the original where you had six health bars, 2 for arms, 2 for legs, and then torso and head.

~Finally, the weapons arent shoddy and yes...I don't see a DXMP for DXHR, but who knows if that changes. If it ever does come back it will be ATDM vs FTDM again

note: in the original game i refered to FTDM as "F_cked team deathmatch" and in one mod defaulted any server running a no-aug server testing any of my mods to read "FTDM" as its gametype. If you want FTDM, go play Counterstrike, sheesh ^_^

I have to say the action is just as fast as the original and there is a far better A.I programming in DXHR than the original...after all its been 11 years. Its a lot better than the other games, but it takes a bit to set in but once it does you are at a disadvantage if you play in normal difficulty. The game does have difficulty which is nice for a change as most shooters are too easy.

I tried three difficulties to analize and found that each difficulty boosts not just damage taken, but the AI of an enemy against you. Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

I can't draw a full conclusion of the game because I have not gone through the whole game, just from what I saw in the first few set of missions its something that you have to take it slow. Don't rush through this game. Actually sit and read things in rooms and talk to people.

This isn't a shooter to "time attack" to the very end. You actually will miss out on a lot and even hide a lot of subplots if you do.

The last thing I have to say from all the times I got fragged and have fragged the A.I, you may like the voice acting as well as the interface design. Its top notch and works well. You will get annoyed early on when all the tutorial notifications get in the way of the interacting. (basically a display where you are told you can press a key to take an item and so forth), the two overlap.

My only sad thing to report...

...I still havent seen a multi-tool or lockpick anywhere...Hell...There is not Repair Bot or Medbot love.....None anywhere! :'( Also I havent come across melee weapons yet, but I can always pray....

God Damn it all to hell...I want my Combat Knife and Nanosword!

Happy Fragging everyone

~Keilyn

Delete
Aug 23, 2011, 06:27 AM
Then when Ion Storm went down and Project Snowblind (which was going to be called originally Deus Ex Clan Wars) was a failure...

Holy heck, First i would like to say that was one of my favorite games on Xbox....and I had no ideal it had anything to do with DX because I hadn't played it at the time. How did people not like that game with all the nano tech and different powers you had :o

On the review, seems pretty legit. I was gonna toss out another 60 bucks for it today but upon reading this, it can definitely wait til I get paid.

On a final note, at least it didn't pull a "Duke Nukem Forever" for the time we've waited for this game to be released finally xD

Keilyn
Aug 24, 2011, 04:31 AM
Im actually going the James Bond Route so far in the game.

I found a guy who sells you a Silencer for 500 credits somewhere and attached it to my pistol. Increased my Hacking Ability and have been going through spaces. The attitude is definitely in this game. ^_^

Akaimizu
Aug 24, 2011, 08:39 AM
I like doing what I did in the first Dues Ex. I'm all about reprogramming systems to work for me. I'm devious that way. Too bad you can't just start the game doing that, but it shouldn't be long before I can.

condiments
Aug 24, 2011, 01:57 PM
This game is absolutely awesome. I'm of course taking the stealthy route to things, and the controls are slick. The graphics are jarringly bad, but I think the overall art direction/ambiance more than makes up for it. There are so many secret passages/side things to do in the game I'm getting so sidetracked.

Haven't finish it, but I definitely recommend it. Its a breath of fresh air compared to the typical FPS slog.

Keilyn
Aug 27, 2011, 08:49 AM
I love the graphics....and here is a funny screenshot. ^_^ Check out the cereal box.

[spoiler-box]http://www.smashmybrain.com/screenshots/gss10.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Randomness
Aug 27, 2011, 02:21 PM
I love the graphics....and here is a funny screenshot. ^_^ Check out the cereal box.

[spoiler-box]http://www.smashmybrain.com/screenshots/gss10.jpg[/spoiler-box]

I prefer the FFXXVII posters.

Also, I just beat the game, and got the "Foxiest of the Hounds" achievement. I wasn't trying for it either. Of course, I'd switched into Metal Gear Solid mode pretty fast when I realized how little health I had. Max cloaking, max hacking capture/stealth, and it's basically a walk in the park to not be seen. (Interestingly, while blowing up cameras trips the alarm, blowing apart patrol robots does not, even though both are connected to the security network. Even blowing the robot in view of a camera wont, since they self-destruct before the camera moves past "suspicious")