PDA

View Full Version : I guess the big question is....

Crawdad
Aug 24, 2011, 04:59 PM
Will Sega make the same mistakes again and regionalise this game or will they release this JP only or *gasp* will they actually have globalised servers?

If anyone knows please enlighten us :D

Pik
Aug 24, 2011, 05:04 PM
Well, SEGA has said they want to release the game "all over the world" on their facebook page, and one of the first videos from SEGA said "Global Support", but that could mean alot of different things.

If I had an educated guess, I would guess that Sega is NOT planning to seperate servers by region. My reason for this assuption is due to the language option in the game options. I would find it strange for them to spend time on this option if they were planning to seperate regions, but, until an announcement, it is really anyones guess.

Razelis
Aug 24, 2011, 05:09 PM
On the Alpha Client there is also a language select option, though it offers Japanese only atm.

The censor file that was data mined included English swear words (not sure if it give us any hints LOL maybe it was intended for Japanese players regardless *shrug*)

The servers may end up global, but the only game I know of that got RELEASED globaly, was FFXIV (and it also included a GLOBAL Alpha and BETA stages, which didn't happen here)

If PSO2 was going to be released globaly like FFXIV, I'd guess its Alpha stage would be global too? Oh well we still got a BETA coming, hopefully its global BETA haha!

Pik
Aug 24, 2011, 05:15 PM
On the Alpha Client there is also a language select option, though it offers Japanese only atm.

The censor file that was data mined included English swear words (not sure if it give us any hints LOL maybe it was intended for Japanese players regardless *shrug*)

The servers may end up global, but the only game I know of that got RELEASED globaly, was FFXIV (and it also included a GLOBAL Alpha and BETA stages, which didn't happen here)

If PSO2 was going to be released globaly like FFXIV, I'd guess its Alpha stage would be global too? Oh well we still got a BETA coming, hopefully its global BETA haha!

I agree, but at least we will be probably be able to play the Japanese version before the NA release, and if they do global servers, we can actually keep our characters and just change the language settings in the options. With global servers and a language option, any release is a global release; it will just be harder for non-Japanese players to get. In fact, I imagine that SEGA will strive for a global release as an attempt to prevent many players outside of Japan from looking for an unnocial copy.

Crawdad
Aug 24, 2011, 05:24 PM
Sheesh, that sounds really promising and we can only hope.

They seem like they've gotten their act together now so hopefully it's not all for nought.

Haha and besides I used to play PSU alot but none of my friends did so i eventually quit. i know this one will be played alot!

Thanks for the heads up guys!

Golto
Aug 24, 2011, 05:25 PM
It would be nice if pso2 was released globally because all non-jpn players knows sega does not do 'seperate but equal' when it comes to online ps games.

Pik
Aug 24, 2011, 05:27 PM
It would be nice if pso2 was released globally because all non-jpn players knows sega does not do 'seperate but equal' when it comes to online ps games.

Since there is a language option, you can just play on the Japanese servers with English selected. Problem solved, and you don't even have to wait for a release ourside of Japan.

*Edit*
I just wanted to say that Sega of America is the only company I've ever seen where the mod of their official message boards actually tells complainers that they should just cancel their subscription and not play if they have a complaint lol.

hewitt
Aug 24, 2011, 11:22 PM
I assumed this topic was going to say 'Will it blend?'

Serephim
Aug 24, 2011, 11:32 PM
thats such a stupid meme and it needs to stay where it came from >:0

HeartBreak301
Aug 24, 2011, 11:44 PM
They're re-adding quick chat options again from what I hear. Assuming they're the same as PSO whenever you select what to say using quick chat it broadcasts it in whatever language the other person is using. While I would like to see globalized servers I've run into problems regarding that on private servers for other games that I've played. Pretty annoying whenever there's more people speaking a language you don't due to the time of day.

Pik
Aug 24, 2011, 11:48 PM
They're re-adding quick chat options again from what I hear. Assuming they're the same as PSO whenever you select what to say using quick chat it broadcasts it in whatever language the other person is using. While I would like to see globalized servers I've run into problems regarding that on private servers for other games that I've played. Pretty annoying whenever there's more people speaking a language you don't due to the time of day.

Would you rather have much less people to play with?
I'd rather have 4,500/5000 people be japanese than only have 500 players online to play with.

HeartBreak301
Aug 24, 2011, 11:49 PM
Not me. If I didn't have a problem with that I might have actually took an ounce of interest in JPPSU. If you're playing online with other people, whats the point if you can't even talk to them?

kyuuketsuki
Aug 25, 2011, 12:13 AM
Not me. If I didn't have a problem with that I might have actually took an ounce of interest in JPPSU. If you're playing online with other people, whats the point if you can't even talk to them?
It's never too late to gain basic fluency in a new language. ;)

'Course, JP players tend to boot anyone who can't speak fluent Japanese from their games... though I've had more than one very cool experience playing with a JP group.

BioWarrior
Aug 25, 2011, 12:40 AM
It's never too late to gain basic fluency in a new language. ;)

'Course, JP players tend to boot anyone who can't speak fluent Japanese from their games... though I've had more than one very cool experience playing with a JP group.

I never had a problem with this in PSO Ep1&2 and PSP2. If it happens in PSO2 it's gonna suck. Really enjoy playing with them.

kyuuketsuki
Aug 25, 2011, 12:55 AM
I never had a problem with this in PSO Ep1&2 and PSP2. If it happens in PSO2 it's gonna suck. Really enjoy playing with them.
Like I said, it happens, and it's wasn't infrequent when I played on JP servers for a period of time. However, it is really cool when you find a good JP group who tolerate your barely passable attempts at speaking Japanese (well for me anyway, I'm not what you'd call even passably fluent, though I do know a bit) and throw out some of their own attempts at Engrish. They tend to be really good players and teammates, in my experience.

Serephim
Aug 25, 2011, 12:59 AM
Thats not just japan, thats pretty much everybody. Im a tolerant person, but i can't STAND messed up english. Who wants to play in a party where people are having conversations around you that you dont understand?

That's in real life too.

kyuuketsuki
Aug 25, 2011, 02:56 AM
Thats not just japan, thats pretty much everybody. Im a tolerant person, but i can't STAND messed up english. Who wants to play in a party where people are having conversations around you that you dont understand?Dunno, I rather enjoy having a back and forth with someone learning my language as I try to learn theirs. Learning experience and all that. Plus, you don't need to have total fluency to communicate the things necessary to play together.

Hrith
Aug 25, 2011, 09:03 AM
TRADUCTION THE PHOTO PLZ

moorebounce
Aug 25, 2011, 10:02 AM

I think if it was hard to do it in different languages they would need US and EU players involved in the testing but it isn't.

Zaix
Aug 25, 2011, 10:21 AM
Language barriers aren't to major if this uses PSO's auto text system that auto translated.

moorebounce
Aug 25, 2011, 10:24 AM
Language barriers aren't to major if this uses PSO's auto text system that auto translated.

I'll be using the chat feature most of the time but it would be nice to have the text translated for all the different languages.

Serephim
Aug 25, 2011, 10:56 AM
Dunno, I rather enjoy having a back and forth with someone learning my language as I try to learn theirs. Learning experience and all that. Plus, you don't need to have total fluency to communicate the things necessary to play together.

Well, thats a different story.

But like, when im somewhere and people are minding their own business...it's just weird to hear another conversation going on in a language you can't understand. I think that in AMERICA, if you're going to be over here you might as well freaking know English....because i mean seriously, what the hell are you doing here otherwise?

Of course it's completeellyyyy different when you aren't in an english speaking country, or playing a game shared by 2 different nationalities. Then i'd rather speak broken japanese/spanish, than expect everyone to speak english. (and thus end up in the same situation i hate : 3 )

Zaix
Aug 25, 2011, 11:01 AM

But like, when im somewhere and people are minding their own business...it's just weird to hear another conversation going on in a language you can't understand. I think that in AMERICA, if you're going to be over here you might as well freaking know English....because i mean seriously, what the hell are you doing here otherwise?

The amusing thing is America has no official language. It is just widely accepted as English.

Serephim
Aug 25, 2011, 11:04 AM
Thats because everyone speaks it.

It's kind of like there not being a written rule that says you shouldn't stand nose to nose against someone while talking to them. Or that you shouldn't stare or point at people you don't know. I view it as a "Social Contract" kind of thing. Nobody forces you to speak english, but everyone expects you to.

landman
Aug 25, 2011, 11:07 AM
I always found funny seeing players getting angry because someone was not chatting in English on the lobby, but the funniest thing was hearing them in the voice chat, prior to the party chat, after that communicating with random party members was really a rare thing.

Kanashimi
Aug 25, 2011, 11:15 AM
@Serephim: Depends on where you are, I think. Where I grew up (in the US), probably a third of the running newspapers were in Korean. Where I am now, McDonald's runs billboard advertisements in Spanish, and their employees are insanely epic, being able to flip to whatever language they need without hesitation.

Personally, I don't care about what language people speak around me. I have relatives who do, but in their case I think it's just them being paranoid. My grandmother has this fear that any Spanish near her means they're talking about her behind her back. I have to say though, I adored PSO's auto-word. I've done runs in other games with people who speak primarily Portuguese (which I don't know at all), and beyond the slight difficulty in planning, it's pretty awesome.

Of course, every language features people who refuse to play with those who can't communicate effectively, but that's life, and I won't get my panties in a bunch if I happen to be on the receiving end.

Serephim
Aug 25, 2011, 11:47 AM
Oh well yeah it definitely depends on where you live, i forgot about that.

But thats the great thing about America :D

Yeah my mom and sisters would go to the nail salon and i'd always hear stories about how some of the ladys there (they spoke english but spoke to eachother in their own language) would be talking and damn near obviously laughing at the condition of some of the customers feet. Kind of messed up.

I know fragmented spanish from school, so i can paste most sentences together from specific words and using the latin root words that they share with english. But thats about it.

Zipzo
Aug 25, 2011, 12:14 PM

Of course it's completeellyyyy different when you aren't in an english speaking country, or playing a game shared by 2 different nationalities. Then i'd rather speak broken japanese/spanish, than expect everyone to speak English. (and thus end up in the same situation i hate : 3 )Maybe you're just ignorant and bigoted. This is a politically charged argument that gnaws at the wrong side of my nerve.

America is predominantly English but it was founded on being the melting pot for any and all races/nationalities of people to take their hand at the "American Dream" and become successful, and live out their lives.

That being said it's absolutely unpreventable that you will find a smorgasbord of languages being spoken all over the country, even though (at least in your sheltered life) all you usually hear is English.

For example, I visit a friend of mine who's family is 100% natively Russian a lot in Brooklyn, New York. They live in a part of town where almost everyone speaks Russian. Do you think I walk around all high and mighty thinking "Damn these Russian fools, not speaking English so I can understand". No. There just happens to be a stronghold in Brighton Beach for Russian families that stems from way back when the Russians first migrated to America in to New York. Why? The American dream.

Take a walk through England. The widely accepted language is still English, and the country is even individualized and separated from the rest of Europe as its own island, but you can bet your ass you will hear a whole collection of different languages being spoken all over that country, it's a diverse mixture of a lot of the European countries. You can take that from me, because I'm a transfer from England myself. I am lucky that the country I came from uses the same language that is mostly predominant in America, but there are hundreds of other languages out there in the world, and a little tolerance is something that we're fortunate enough to grow up with, and something you should take a little time to learn.

One day you'll grow up and understand these types of things.

Alnet
Aug 25, 2011, 01:31 PM
So long as I'm not booted instantaneously, I'm looking forward to putting my broken Japanese to practice. It's quite difficult to practice a foreign language when nobody around you speaks it at/above your level, after all. I only get any practice playing imported games, sadly.

And I'm not gonna even try to humor my brother, who yaks away with a stereotypical "moe" accent he picked up from watching anime. Hearing that nonsensical caricature makes my temples throb.

Of course, this is hypothetical. I'm desperately hoping that there will be unified global servers. That is literally all I need to hear to confirm a preorder on this game. And I suppose a western release would be good too, but I'm not too worried on that.

Arkios
Aug 25, 2011, 03:30 PM
Maybe you're just ignorant and bigoted. This is a politically charged argument that gnaws at the wrong side of my nerve.

America is predominantly English but it was founded on being the melting pot for any and all races/nationalities of people to take their hand at the "American Dream" and become successful, and live out their lives.

That being said it's absolutely unpreventable that you will find a smorgasbord of languages being spoken all over the country, even though (at least in your sheltered life) all you usually hear is English.

For example, I visit a friend of mine who's family is 100% natively Russian a lot in Brooklyn, New York. They live in a part of town where almost everyone speaks Russian. Do you think I walk around all high and mighty thinking "Damn these Russian fools, not speaking English so I can understand". No. There just happens to be a stronghold in Brighton Beach for Russian families that stems from way back when the Russians first migrated to America in to New York. Why? The American dream.

Take a walk through England. The widely accepted language is still English, and the country is even individualized and separated from the rest of Europe as its own island, but you can bet your ass you will hear a whole collection of different languages being spoken all over that country, it's a diverse mixture of a lot of the European countries. You can take that from me, because I'm a transfer from England myself. I am lucky that the country I came from uses the same language that is mostly predominant in America, but there are hundreds of other languages out there in the world, and a little tolerance is something that we're fortunate enough to grow up with, and something you should take a little time to learn.

First off, obligatory "tl;dr".

Secondly, he's neither ignorant nor bigoted. He was expressing his opinion regarding different languages in the US. He merely said that he thinks people that come to the US should know how to speak English. In order to become a citizen of the US, a person is REQUIRED to know some English. So it's not like his opinion has no basis.

If you're getting that mad over an opinion on the internet, I hope that you never read comments for YouTube videos. Your head might explode.

Zynetic
Aug 25, 2011, 03:40 PM
People in America do know English.

They're just more comfortable speaking to their friends / relatives / close neighbours in their native tongue, and that's apparently unacceptable due to America being a predominantly English speaking country.

As a side note, these are easily my favourite boards I've come across.

Bulgereek Nookstain
Aug 25, 2011, 03:43 PM
Jesus Christ, I'd hate to see what other fora you've found.

Zipzo
Aug 25, 2011, 06:27 PM
First off, obligatory "tl;dr".

Secondly, he's neither ignorant nor bigoted. He was expressing his opinion regarding different languages in the US. He merely said that he thinks people that come to the US should know how to speak English. In order to become a citizen of the US, a person is REQUIRED to know some English. So it's not like his opinion has no basis.

If you're getting that mad over an opinion on the internet, I hope that you never read comments for YouTube videos. Your head might explode.First off, if that short couple bits barely worth qualifying as paragraphs was too much for you to swallow, you should probably get a high school education.

Secondly, you don't know him. He very well may be ignorant and bigoted. I call it like I see it, personally.

Thirdly, this isn't about not being able to "handle" the internet. I regularly visit YouTube and read the comments to all my favorite/funny videos out of a pure lust for its comedic value, and I treasure and abuse my anonymity as much as anyone else. When I say it gnaws at my nerve, I mean it actually gets me to post when I usually would just ignore it because it's a topic of some personal interest.

Usually Americans who have never left the confines of their homely little town in the USA share that narrow opinion, while those like me who have at least traveled a little bit tend to be more open minded.

People in America do know English.

They're just more comfortable speaking to their friends / relatives / close neighbours in their native tongue, and that's apparently unacceptable due to America being a predominantly English speaking country.

As a side note, these are easily my favourite boards I've come across.
My sentiments, exactly.

Hrith
Aug 25, 2011, 07:25 PM
People in America do know English.No :disapprove:

Bulgereek Nookstain
Aug 25, 2011, 07:28 PM
This is one of the dumbest arguments I have ever read on this website, and that is quite an accomplishment.

Hrith
Aug 25, 2011, 08:10 PM
You're too young, then :wacko:

Arkios
Aug 25, 2011, 08:11 PM
First off, if that short couple bits barely worth qualifying as paragraphs was too much for you to swallow, you should probably get a high school education.

Secondly, you don't know him. He very well may be ignorant and bigoted. I call it like I see it, personally.

Thirdly, this isn't about not being able to "handle" the internet. I regularly visit YouTube and read the comments to all my favorite/funny videos out of a pure lust for its comedic value, and I treasure and abuse my anonymity as much as anyone else. When I say it gnaws at my nerve, I mean it actually gets me to post when I usually would just ignore it because it's a topic of some personal interest.

Usually Americans who have never left the confines of their homely little town in the USA share that narrow opinion, while those like me who have at least traveled a little bit tend to be more open minded.

Well played sir. I wasn't sure if this was a troll, in fact you had me up until that last paragraph.

7/10.

Serephim
Aug 25, 2011, 11:54 PM
Maybe you're just ignorant and bigoted. This is a politically charged argument that gnaws at the wrong side of my nerve.

Heh heh, hahaha, HAHAHAHA, I knew some tight-ass was going to call me ignorant. I just knew it. Oh, how the internet amuses me. Trolling is quickly becoming my favorite pasttime on these boards! Anything counts as bait, and you guys are like starving fish. Who knew a simple statement was going to turn into a freaking history lesson. Do you do this to everyone you meet in real life to? Boy, you must be pretty short on buddies.

This is just like that ol' PC argument, hahahahahah. Excuse my french, but who the HELL said anything about an American Dream? Mannnnnnn take that 'ish elsewhere, you're just gonna set the place on fire again. Oh, im soooo sorryyy for being an ignorant little American boy who definitely hasn't traveled anywhere in his pathetic little life, and who's so terribly ignorant and believes the world revolves around his country and that everyone should speak his own language.....

Because i definitely said all that. Yup. Sure did. It's all in Plain Text, right up there. Check for yourself. Shut up.

This is one of the dumbest arguments I have ever read on this website, and that is quite an accomplishment.
You know the other ones kind of angered me for how ridiculously stupid they are, but this one is just so damn RANDOM that i can't help but want to perpetuate it. It took everything in my fingers to not type "go back to england you biscuit " just for great lulz. But im not into randomly insulting people or calling them ignorant just because i can't read. Perhaps we're on the wrong topic here, hmm guys?

Zipzo
Aug 26, 2011, 01:49 AM
Well played sir. I wasn't sure if this was a troll, in fact you had me up until that last paragraph.

7/10.Not that I expect you to properly interpret my posts like a normal, at least somewhat intelligent person, but I'm not trolling. It gets to be quite cumbersome reading so many posts by people who think they even know what "trolling" means when all they know is the version that gets tossed around like a cheap hooker at senior prom, which is a mere shadow of what it really means.

Heh heh, hahaha, HAHAHAHA, I knew some tight-ass was going to call me ignorant. I just knew it. Oh, how the internet amuses me. Trolling is quickly becoming my favorite pasttime on these boards! Anything counts as bait, and you guys are like starving fish. Who knew a simple statement was going to turn into a freaking history lesson. Do you do this to everyone you meet in real life to? Boy, you must be pretty short on buddies.

This is just like that ol' PC argument, hahahahahah. Excuse my french, but who the HELL said anything about an American Dream? Mannnnnnn take that 'ish elsewhere, you're just gonna set the place on fire again. Oh, im soooo sorryyy for being an ignorant little American boy who definitely hasn't traveled anywhere in his pathetic little life, and who's so terribly ignorant and believes the world revolves around his country and that everyone should speak his own language.....

Because i definitely said all that. Yup. Sure did. It's all in Plain Text, right up there. Check for yourself. Shut up.

I'm really not surprised that your whole retort can generally be analogized to verbal garbage. You bore me.

Hrith
Aug 26, 2011, 11:16 AM
There are countries except the US? damn.

MistyWaters
Aug 26, 2011, 11:22 AM
Too lazy to read through all of this. What are people arguing over about now?

Bulgereek Nookstain
Aug 26, 2011, 11:23 AM
Who is more of a cultural elitist.

Ryna
Aug 26, 2011, 11:23 AM
Since this thread has gone off-topic, I am going to lock it.