PDA

View Full Version : Game Nintendo 3DS second analog attachment

Shinji Kazuya
Sep 7, 2011, 10:58 AM
I am laughing.

[spoiler-box]http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/323/3dsogaddonthumb.jpg

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/09/06/this-is-what-the-nintendo-3ds-analog-attachment-looks-like/
[/spoiler-box]

Astarin
Sep 7, 2011, 11:51 AM
I know, right? It's utterly ridiculous looking. I'm shocked that an official peripheral would look so... cobbled together.

With that said, I wouldn't want to play Monster Hunter Tri G (or any MH game) without a second analog stick, so as goofy as it looks, I'd probably pick one up exclusively for that game, if it should come to North America.

-Crokar-
Sep 7, 2011, 11:52 AM
eh they shoulda had dual analog in the thing to begin with for putting shooters on there. shooters suck when aiming with button pushes

Randomness
Sep 7, 2011, 11:53 AM
eh they shoulda had dual analog in the thing to begin with for putting shooters on there. shooters suck when aiming with button pushes

DS - aim with screen, lol. It's actually fairly solid, but it limits the available buttons sharply, so the dual analogs are helpful there.

CupOfCoffee
Sep 7, 2011, 12:22 PM
That thing looks atrocious, but if it was under $20 and doubled as a battery extender, I don't think there would be that much to complain about.

Kent
Sep 7, 2011, 12:28 PM
...Which is why you use the touchscreen.

Though really, after the first iteration, the DS stopped coming with the thumbstrap, which was unfortunate - because that made all of the difference in a game like Metroid Prime: Hunters. Trying to aim with a stylus in that game is just uncomfortable, but aiming with the thumbstrap works like a charm.

Randomness
Sep 7, 2011, 01:48 PM
...Which is why you use the touchscreen.

Though really, after the first iteration, the DS stopped coming with the thumbstrap, which was unfortunate - because that made all of the difference in a game like Metroid Prime: Hunters. Trying to aim with a stylus in that game is just uncomfortable, but aiming with the thumbstrap works like a charm.

Yeah, thumbstrap turns the screen into a giant analog stick. Actually, fighting games should let you do that for input. You can go out further and have more room for error, or in to have less distance to cover... (Just section the screen into eight triangles, basically)

Kent
Sep 7, 2011, 05:17 PM
Yeah, thumbstrap turns the screen into a giant analog stick. Actually, fighting games should let you do that for input. You can go out further and have more room for error, or in to have less distance to cover... (Just section the screen into eight triangles, basically)
Nnn... I'm against the idea of trying to virtualize proper gamepad controls with a touchscreen - because it has never worked properly (as evidenced by smartphone games that try to use a D-pad and buttons on the touchscreen, they're universally-terrible; it's worse than trying to play a point-and-click adventure game on a digital controller). The thing about the thumbstrap with games like MP:H, is that they actually do 1:1 movement on the top screen with your thumb's movements (and letting you adjust for sensitivity, as well). So in a lot of cases, it can actually be substantially better than using a thumbstick for aiming, granted that you have a steady thumb.

And, of course, since both hands are on the console, you get access to both shoulder buttons, and you can still easily and quickly take your thumb off the screen to hit one of the face buttons. It's far better of an idea than trying to use a stylus for many games like that, and I really don't know why Nintendo ever abandoned it as a pack-in.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Sep 7, 2011, 05:31 PM
that looks awful......... why is it so clunky? and why is the analog pad right next to the buttons? I guess i won't be getting MH3G then :(

Pirrip
Sep 7, 2011, 06:23 PM
I'm praying to the Monster Hunter gods that there is a special Monster Hunter 3G special edition 3DS with two analog sliders included, as well as a bigger battery(Like the bigger battery they included in the MHP3 special edition psp).
IF this is my only option, I'm going for it. I still play mh3 and mourn(as dumb as this will sound) the loss of the water monsters Lagiacrus and even the dreaded Gobul.

LionHeart-
Sep 7, 2011, 07:20 PM
I was expecting a 'newer' version of the 3DS with the second analog (at-least they haven't screwed everyone with a new one). It doesn't look to bad though, I am sure you could fit one under the d-pad or put the d-pad on the bottom and the analog on the top. It doesn't have to be the same size as the 'master' analog (look how small the PSP one is, and its usable).

They have no choice though, because its been one of the number one things fans have been asking for to play certain games and also to compete with PSVita's duals. The 3DS seems to be the flop for now, maybe they could turn things around, but its looking like the PSVita might take the caek for a while.

Randomness
Sep 7, 2011, 07:23 PM
I'm praying to the Monster Hunter gods that there is a special Monster Hunter 3G special edition 3DS with two analog sliders included, as well as a bigger battery(Like the bigger battery they included in the MHP3 special edition psp).
IF this is my only option, I'm going for it. I still play mh3 and mourn(as dumb as this will sound) the loss of the water monsters Lagiacrus and even the dreaded Gobul.

Lagiacrus was brutal... Gobul was a joke, since frog=shitloads of easy damage since he's a joke on land, has a giant head for hammer users, etc. It was practically the first HR armor I made (due to being so stupidly weak).

I'm going to miss Ceadus, unless they put in other ways to get his gear. Great looking armor, plus an awesome SA. That, and I loved the music for the final showdown with him.

Shinji Kazuya
Sep 7, 2011, 07:54 PM
Lagiacrus is one of my favourite monsters. I enjoy fighting it, especially underwater.

Randomness
Sep 7, 2011, 07:59 PM
Lagiacrus is one of my favourite monsters. I enjoy fighting it, especially underwater.

I do too. I have bad experiences trying to down it in Arena though... it's double lightning side tackle... it can't be dodged except vertically (<3 lances for shield advance shenanigans)... so it's very good at killing people off when it does it... what with how much harder its enraged lightning hits are. (Although that's it's only attack it ever hits me with other than claw nicks from turns... everything else is easy to dodge and/or massively telegraphed)

Outrider
Sep 7, 2011, 08:01 PM
Boy, that's, uh... that's a real doozy.

It kind of ruins the "portable" aspect of the system, doesn't it? I dunno, having this crazy cradle added onto the system just seems like a silly half-step to the new hardware revision.

Assuming these new buttons & features come standard in the next version of the 3DS, this might be the first time where I upgrade a handheld on the very next hardware iteration. It just doesn't seem worth it to use this cradle to try and match up with what will become the new standard for the system.

NoiseHERO
Sep 7, 2011, 09:01 PM
/waits for the 3DS lite, and the continuation of Nintendo's dark ages

yoshiblue
Sep 7, 2011, 09:13 PM
I don't see anything wrong with it. Now people can't say the handheld is too small for their hands.

Sinue_v2
Sep 7, 2011, 09:53 PM
That's... wow... that's like MadCatz level poor design & aesthetics. I would have expected Nintendo to come out with some kind of extended clamshell to maintain symmetry or at least flush the damned thing with the base better.

Oh well. I still say they should just integrate the fucking 3DS into WiiU controller and sell them as one unit which works as either a controller or as a stand-alone gaming system. It's not like they can't still sell the "lite" versions of the current WiiU controller as a cheaper accessory. With the 3DS floundering, such a move could install a hell of a lot of portable systems by piggybacking an unpopular product onto a popular one in a two-for-one deal should the WiiU take off like the Wii did. That could really give the 3DS an edge over the Vita in the coming generation.

But I guess it's a little bit too late in the design phase to do that now.

Randomness
Sep 7, 2011, 10:03 PM
I will admit to wondering how the hell Nintendo messed up the aesthetics of something. The biggest issue is the gaps, if it had a solid contour it would look a ton better. Less weight on the left, too.

yoshiblue
Sep 7, 2011, 11:10 PM
Maybe they just panicked, half-assed it by a rushed deadline and sold it as that.

Weeaboolits
Sep 9, 2011, 07:10 AM
It's ugly, but if it works it works, with MH3G announced, a second analog will be a godsend.

Enforcer MKV
Sep 9, 2011, 01:04 PM
*Opens mouth to say something about how nintendo is entering their dark ages*

/waits for the 3DS lite, and the continuation of Nintendo's dark ages

..................*closes mouth* Dammit.

Akaimizu
Sep 9, 2011, 01:22 PM
Kind of indifferent about the 2nd analog attachment. On the other hand, Monster Hunter would be a big thing for them in Japan. The only thing is what game would *really* sell the US customers on the thing. FPS games haven't exactly been *the* games that portables really thrive on. 3rd person adventure, possibly, but those generally play well behind RPGs. On the other hand, twin sticks have become a bit more naturally used for Dungeon Hackers, these days. In particular, 3d ones.

Of course, if MH3DS comes out over here, I'm right on it. I definitely like some Monster Hunter.

Sayara
Sep 9, 2011, 01:36 PM
yeah really, if the game comes to the US!

darkante
Sep 9, 2011, 01:38 PM
Looks rushed..and does 3DS really need another stick?

Kenbog
Sep 9, 2011, 03:04 PM
I have no problems using the claw grip like you had to do in all psp games...
Its important for me that you could do all the actions while being able to rotate the camera, looks impossible with this setup of analog sticks :s

outside topic: monster hunter tri G isnt that all great if they don't change "the local area multiplayer only" :/

Pirrip
Sep 9, 2011, 03:19 PM
Sooo.... did anyone else hear about METAL GEAR 3DS using an extra joystick peripheral, too?

Emp
Sep 9, 2011, 03:40 PM
Looks like Nintendo's response to Sony's Vita having dual analogs.

Weeaboolits
Sep 9, 2011, 06:20 PM
I have no problems using the claw grip like you had to do in all psp games...
Its important for me that you could do all the actions while being able to rotate the camera, looks impossible with this setup of analog sticks :s
The problem is, it's even more awkward when the D-pad is below the analog. Also, you generally don't use the right analog and the face buttons at the same time anyway.

Also, PSP monster hunter games had online play through ad-hoc, it wasn't ideal, but it was there... if you owned a PS3.

I'm hoping for infrastructure, but they'll probably at least have friend codes if nothing else.

Randomness
Sep 9, 2011, 06:22 PM
Sadly there's no equivalent to Ad-Hoc Party for DS/3DS.

Weeaboolits
Sep 9, 2011, 06:29 PM
But there is Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection.