PDA

View Full Version : If you could have one weapon TYPE return

Sw353
Sep 11, 2011, 11:20 AM
This is a spin off thread from Randomness's weapons thread. As far as I know,we are not 100% sure what all the weapon types will be. Though we know the basics ( cane, sword, rifle), what else would you like to see?
What wouldn't you like to see?

my picks are for each class are
Hunter: Fist. Fist were one of my favorite weapons from psu, id be kinda upset if they aren't included. I hope they have much better designs than psu had.

Ranger: Twin Handguns. Maybe i just like the mobility of this weapon, but i do think that it was a very cool, useful weapon.

Force: LongBow. Im sure we will have canes and rods, but longbows would be cool. I think it could be one of the weapons that would give forces more versatility.

I think we could do without a few types. Single mech guns can go. give us back dual guns instead. did anyone use cards in pso or psu? i never really got the swing of them. maybe with a redesign i could become a fan. I didn't use axes, i could live without them. I know that would leave a lot of people heartbroken lol. So what are your picks? here is a chart of psu weapons, for us pc/ps2 players that forgot
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i225/iamfanboy/psu%20PSO%20stuff/PSU-Weaponspread.jpg

BlackCosmic
Sep 11, 2011, 12:04 PM
Double sabers
Pso Mechgun's

Explain later.

kyuuketsuki
Sep 11, 2011, 12:05 PM
did anyone use cards in pso or psu? i never really got the swing of them.
I loved cards in both. Though I wouldn't argue they were the most effective weapon type.

Valkyrie Lovrina
Sep 11, 2011, 12:15 PM
Double Sabers :yes:

Anon_Fire
Sep 11, 2011, 12:17 PM
Spears and Partisans

Canard de Bain
Sep 11, 2011, 12:21 PM
Grenade Launcher.

Golto
Sep 11, 2011, 12:31 PM
Double mechguns.

Randomness
Sep 11, 2011, 01:01 PM
I loved cards in both. Though I wouldn't argue they were the most effective weapon type.

They were fairly effective in PSU. Not the ideal damage output, but their homing made them wonderful against fast moving targets.

I'd like to see PSO style mechguns again, if only because dual SMGs is rather badass.

Alnet
Sep 11, 2011, 01:36 PM
HUnters: Doublesabers. I love their form and function, and they tend to have some pretty sweet designs when they're not modeled after (possibly flaming) Q-tips and kayak oars. Also more possibilities for people to make Tekkaman Blade HUcasts.

RAngers: Probably Twin Handguns/Mechguns. Since we can diveroll, do it John Woo style. And hopefully the guarding animation (if applicable here) will be like it is in PSP2.

FOrces: FOrces don't get much in the way of weapons, do they? At least, actual casting weapons. Rods are already in, and it's a safe bet that Wands will be back in some form. I guess Cards could be cool again, but making them different than either PSO or PSU would be good if they're going to be brought back. They were practically worthless in PSO (though cool as the other side of the pillow), though they were decent in PSU but had awful design.

MAXrobo
Sep 11, 2011, 03:48 PM
Axes. they were so much fun the swing around

and duel machine guns, just because they are awesome.

Sw353
Sep 11, 2011, 03:49 PM

I have a very faint memory of cards in pso. I preferred pus's style. I think i got fed up with bullet training after my range, so i gave up lol

Double Sabers :yes:
yes, they come in a close second with fist for me.

Spears and Partisans
Im on the fence with these, tho i prefer them to axes

Grenade Launcher.

I'm somewhat surprised someone said this. i didn't think people as a whole like them.

They were fairly effective in PSU. Not the ideal damage output, but their homing made them wonderful against fast moving targets.

I'd like to see PSO style mechguns again, if only because dual SMGs is rather badass.

Bad ass indeed. with the lack of dual wielding different weapons, i can't find a good reason to use single mech guns.

and for the people i quoted, is there a type you wouldn't want to see make a return? or something that you think needs a redesign?

LK1721
Sep 11, 2011, 03:53 PM
Melee: Twin Claws, oh how I love twin claws.
Ranged: Twin Mech Guns from PSO or PSP2 style Grenade Launchers, they were fuuun!
Force: I think Longbows were pretty awesome and would like to see them return.

Sw353
Sep 11, 2011, 03:56 PM
HUnters: Doublesabers. I love their form and function, and they tend to have some pretty sweet designs when they're not modeled after (possibly flaming) Q-tips and kayak oars. Also more possibilities for people to make Tekkaman Blade HUcasts.

RAngers: Probably Twin Handguns/Mechguns. Since we can diveroll, do it John Woo style. And hopefully the guarding animation (if applicable here) will be like it is in PSP2.

FOrces: FOrces don't get much in the way of weapons, do they? At least, actual casting weapons. Rods are already in, and it's a safe bet that Wands will be back in some form. I guess Cards could be cool again, but making them different than either PSO or PSU would be good if they're going to be brought back. They were practically worthless in PSO (though cool as the other side of the pillow), though they were decent in PSU but had awful design.

double sabers come in a close second for me as far as hunter weapons go. When i found my first one in pso, i was hooked (demolition comet). it would be beyond epic to have a rolling twin handgun/mechgun animation while shooting. It would make rangers a must play. Forces don't have many weapons, and the ones they have aren't very good. Im not sure canes and wands will be split into two types. I just want cards to be BETTER. the concept is cool, but having it tie to magic than bullets would have worked better in psu. BUt a mobile force is a better force lol.
is there anything you can do without having?

Sw353
Sep 11, 2011, 03:57 PM
Axes. they were so much fun the swing around

and duel machine guns, just because they are awesome.

I knew someone would confess their love for axes. i think everyone is in agreement for mech guns ^^

Randomness
Sep 11, 2011, 03:59 PM
double sabers come in a close second for me as far as hunter weapons go. When i found my first one in pso, i was hooked (demolition comet). it would be beyond epic to have a rolling twin handgun/mechgun animation while shooting. It would make rangers a must play. Forces don't have many weapons, and the ones they have aren't very good. Im not sure canes and wands will be split into two types. I just want cards to be BETTER. the concept is cool, but having it tie to magic than bullets would have worked better in psu. BUt a mobile force is a better force lol.

Wait, your first double saber in PSO wasn't Double Saber? Is that even possible? (I always found it amusing how good the Double Saber was)

NoiseHERO
Sep 11, 2011, 03:59 PM
I hope they make double sabers cooler, cause they kind of annoyed me in PSU(dunno about PSO) Not helping that they were unnecessarily popular.

I think I only ever liked the weapon concept in general because of Final Fantasy 9.

I always liked the small quick weapons, like Saber, Claw, Dagger, Twin dagger, Slicer, and then I'd like PSZ's battle shields to return as long as they don't make them all ugly.

Sw353
Sep 11, 2011, 04:00 PM
Melee: Twin Claws, oh how I love twin claws.
Ranged: Twin Mech Guns from PSO or PSP2 style Grenade Launchers, they were fuuun!
Force: I think Longbows were pretty awesome and would like to see them return.

I think i used my single and double claws equally in psu. either would be fine with me. I didn't play enough of psp2 to know what style the grenade launchers are. Longbows are the shit lol. i want to have my Kikyo (from inuyasha) moment lol.

NoiseHERO
Sep 11, 2011, 04:01 PM
Twin claws had cool PA's but visually, single claw looked less redunkulous to me.

Sw353
Sep 11, 2011, 04:01 PM
Wait, your first double saber in PSO wasn't Double Saber? Is that even possible? (I always found it amusing how good the Double Saber was)

NOPE lol. how and why idk, i always played with friends, so maybe they found it. all i know is, me and my demolition comet were best friends :D

Sw353
Sep 11, 2011, 04:05 PM
I hope they make double sabers cooler, cause they kind of annoyed me in PSU(dunno about PSO) Not helping that they were unnecessarily popular.

I think I only ever liked the weapon concept in general because of Final Fantasy 9.

I always liked the small quick weapons, like Saber, Claw, Dagger, Twin dagger, Slicer, and then I'd like PSZ's battle shields to return as long as they don't make them all ugly.

Im hoping all the weapons have good designs and plenty of them. fist, i feel, were the most limiting once you got to s rank. Claws and daggers have always been a favorite of mine as well. id rather have twin dagger than sabers, just for the quickness. i can't say to much about the slicer, they can go for me. a shield weapon isn't a bad idea to have in this game.

Macras
Sep 11, 2011, 04:10 PM
hunter? double saber, axe or twin sbaers

ranger? PSZ style lasers, twin handguns, crossbow

FO? maybe TCSMs, but really, what esle new have they gotten..?

NoiseHERO
Sep 11, 2011, 04:13 PM
Im hoping all the weapons have good designs and plenty of them. fist, i feel, were the most limiting once you got to s rank. Claws and daggers have always been a favorite of mine as well. id rather have twin dagger than sabers, just for the quickness. i can't say to much about the slicer, they can go for me. a shield weapon isn't a bad idea to have in this game.

I think Fists weaseled their way into becoming my favorite weapon. Fortunately they've already been confirmed to return...

Unless we can punch things without weapons for no reason...

D:...

I still hated 98% of their weapon designs in PSU though.

Sw353
Sep 11, 2011, 04:59 PM
hunter? double saber, axe or twin sbaers

ranger? PSZ style lasers, twin handguns, crossbow

FO? maybe TCSMs, but really, what esle new have they gotten..?

first person to talk about crossbows, any particular reason you want those back?
forces have never had a wide range of weapons, but i would like the weapons they have to have a better usefulness.

anything you wouldn't want to see?

Sw353
Sep 11, 2011, 05:01 PM
I think Fists weaseled their way into becoming my favorite weapon. Fortunately they've already been confirmed to return...

Unless we can punch things without weapons for no reason...

D:...

I still hated 98% of their weapon designs in PSU though.

Thats great, i had no idea. I hated the design as well. on top of which, their went many different ones to find. the best were extra rare.

Sol_Vent
Sep 11, 2011, 05:09 PM
For Hunters: Partisans/Lances/whatever they want to call the Polearms this time around.

Rangers: Longbows. In the Ranger section because it seems most appropriate, really. If they give Bows to Forces again, I won't be very enthusiastic about playing a Ranger.

Forces: Cards, used in a stupidly cool way like the way Ace does in FF Type-0.

NoiseHERO
Sep 11, 2011, 05:13 PM
If they merged double sabers, and bows together like they did with gunblade...

I dunno what I'd do... but drool...

Valkyrie Lovrina
Sep 11, 2011, 05:17 PM
If they merged double sabers, and bows together like they did with gunblade...

I dunno what I'd do... but drool...I had the same idea when during one of my epic thoughts were when Lovrina's angel wings came out. her Vivienne would convert into a bow and she would shoot pink arrows rapidly. I'd drool too if they did that in PSO2.

LK1721
Sep 11, 2011, 05:21 PM
I think i used my single and double claws equally in psu. either would be fine with me. I didn't play enough of psp2 to know what style the grenade launchers are. Longbows are the shit lol. i want to have my Kikyo (from inuyasha) moment lol.
I pretty much just used claws ALL THE TIME on PSU, they were versatile weapons with a good balance of attack power and speed. The PSP2 Grenade Launchers give a little more control over where you're aiming in comparison to the PSU Grenades, while still letting you blow a group sky high with charged shots. Longbows are so cool and well suited to the Force classes, I think.

Macras
Sep 11, 2011, 05:28 PM
first person to talk about crossbows, any particular reason you want those back?
forces have never had a wide range of weapons, but i would like the weapons they have to have a better usefulness.

anything you wouldn't want to see?

i loved crossbows for their mobility combined with their low elemental but higher base damage along with them being mini shotguns. its one of those weapons i could use as a primary weapon even though it was a secondary to most. PSP2 weakened that love but so did not being able to level the PAs beyond what i can pick up from the ground =w=;

one weapon i definitely wouldn't want to see are PSU laser cannons, they were essentially slow rifles with piercing, but looks like horrible most of the time.

and yeah, im aware it seems kinda contradictory to dislike the PSU lasers but like the PSZ lasers. but really, the PAs for the PSZ lasers treated them more like heavy support weapons, like with sector line which used it in a sweeping manner. while the PSU ones are just rifles with the same "pew pew" action. even in PSP2...

Sw353
Sep 11, 2011, 07:05 PM
For Hunters: Partisans/Lances/whatever they want to call the Polearms this time around.

Rangers: Longbows. In the Ranger section because it seems most appropriate, really. If they give Bows to Forces again, I won't be very enthusiastic about playing a Ranger.

Forces: Cards, used in a stupidly cool way like the way Ace does in FF Type-0.

Forces need more weapons. Plus longbows give me more of a magical anime village vibe. lol. more people are saying cards than i thought. I'm honestly surprised more people want them.

Sol_Vent
Sep 11, 2011, 07:37 PM
Forces need more weapons. Plus longbows give me more of a magical anime village vibe. lol. more people are saying cards than i thought. I'm honestly surprised more people want them.

That's kinda the thing, though. I don't really like that portrayal of the Bow. I prefer the realistic, non-fanciful idea of the weapon. The lighthearted take makes them seem lame and weak. In real life, getting hit with an arrow pretty much incapacitates you. I know this is far from "real life", but good fantasy makes things cooler than they really are, not the other way around.

I think that cards are being mentioned because, for one thing, they have a pretty decent chance of not being included. For another, they could easily become a lot cooler in a game as action-oriented as this. Cards are kind of a stylish weapon in a lot of cases, so it could be cool to see what happens if they get another shot.

Angelo
Sep 11, 2011, 07:43 PM
Axes or something similar.

Mega Ultra Chicken
Sep 11, 2011, 07:50 PM
Hunters: Twin Claws. Do want.

Rangers: Twin Mechguns

Forces: Cards, but make them more useful this time... for actual Forces.

AfroGuy!
Sep 11, 2011, 11:55 PM
either double sabers or one handed claws

Serephim
Sep 12, 2011, 01:18 AM
I have to agree, asking for one weapon type to return is retarded.

Should rename the topic to "favorite weapon type". Although, according to this alpha there might as well only be one weapon type. (Rifle for rangers, Sword and Step for hunters trolololol)

Alnet
Sep 12, 2011, 01:53 AM
HUnters have a spot in their skill tree where it says that they can attack while Stepping, so it's not out of the question for RAngers to be able to shoot while rolling. It'd probably screw with the angle of the shot, but once you would be able to compensate for it, it'd be a very fluid gameplay mechanic, I think.

I'm not sure what should be done with cards, to tell the truth. Whenever they try implementing them, they end up being mediocre in some form. In PSO, they had horrible accuracy and weird firing angles, and ironically were best used at point blank range, which is the worst place a FOrce wants his or her quarry. In PSU and PSP2, they were functionally superior, but they had disadvantageous damage calculation where in the former, ATP determined the damage, and in the latter, it was a mix of ACC and MND (as a gun weapon, they had to use ACC for damage calculation, though I couldn't tell you if ACC or MND took priority for this). They could try using them as casting weapons, but how would they be distinguishable from wands or rods? Maybe by converting the tech's power into bullet damage and throwing the card imbued with the technique, I dunno.

If there's anything I could live without, it'd probably be PSU's Whips, but their much-more-attractive-cousin-from-out-of-town counterpart, Wired Lance, has arrived, and I'm very looking forward to them. Though I'm hoping Slicer doesn't come back. I never liked Slicers. Ever.

Serephim
Sep 12, 2011, 01:59 AM
Wired Lance is just as stupid as the Photon Whip, but 10x cooler, and actually has some real function to it instead of just being stuck there for the cool factor. It looks to be used primarily as a grabbing or grappling weapon, which fits very well since it can extend and retract very quickly. As long as they give it SOME kind of practical function, it'll be a great weapon. I actually like it alot, ever since i saw the grabbing function.

Gunblades are another thing. They are stupid. Ass. Weapons. But PSO2 takes them, and simply makes them more PLASUABLE as a weapon type -- a lightweight saber in on one hand, a pistol on the other. None of that ridiculously huge hunk of metal with a trigger and some shotgun shells and whatever else Nagasia has on that stupid looking weapon.

Slicer stopped being cool when it stopped being cool. They were FUN to use in PSO because of how they damaged enemies, but they wern't fun because they always missed. In PSU, they just became a cheep excuse for a melee rifle. (And they WERE melee rifles. Chikki was so uninspired it was sickening.)

Cards in PSO form were more interesting to look at. They need to simply become a kind of technique casting weapon -- maybe instead of throwing them, you can use them to greatly increase cast speed or something? If you can Charge with a rod, maybe with Cards you can shoot more than one at a time, in more than one direction : D

Or maybe pull a Final Fantasy Type-0 thing or something.

I dunno, they need to get creative. They're doing a great job so far, imo.

Alnet
Sep 12, 2011, 02:08 AM
Cards in PSO form were more interesting to look at. They need to simply become a kind of technique casting weapon -- maybe instead of throwing them, you can use them to greatly increase cast speed or something? If you can Charge with a rod, maybe with Cards you can shoot more than one at a time, in more than one direction : D
Actually, maybe that. That'd probably work out fanphantastically. The longer you charge it, the more directions you shoot.

Argh, do it, Sega.

Angelo
Sep 12, 2011, 02:18 AM
I have to agree, asking for one weapon type to return is retarded.

Should rename the topic to "favorite weapon type". Although, according to this alpha there might as well only be one weapon type. (Rifle for rangers, Sword and Step for hunters trolololol)

Man, and I always thought I was a kill-joy.

yoshiblue
Sep 12, 2011, 02:53 AM
Photon Whips if you can pull off Indiana Jones stuff.

Gunblades just because I personalty think they are still cool

A martial arts staff would be cool.

Serephim
Sep 12, 2011, 03:35 AM
A martial arts staff would be cool.

YES plz.

Although that traditionally just becomes a Doublesaber type weapon :/

Angelo
Sep 12, 2011, 04:09 AM
Are we allowed to make up new types too? I want Hammers like the ones in Monster Hunter.

NoiseHERO
Sep 12, 2011, 09:29 AM
Gunblades just because I personalty think they are still cool

Wait whuh?

"En"
Sep 12, 2011, 09:34 AM
Hunters: I think I'll go with Halberds. With the transition to PSO2, I imagine they could finally be distinguished from their Sword brethren, by building them toward what the weapon was intended to do during its golden era in the early 14th and 15th centuries. A weapon with a sizeable reach, that could just as easily slash as it could impale.

Bringing Halberds to the table, fitted with photon blades and spikes, it could act as a pseudo-ranged weapon for melee-fitted characters. I'm not suggesting that it receive the range that any true ranged weapon (ie; guns) get, but enough to give it a longer reach than Swords. With the custom combo, Halberds could transition between a stabbing attack and a sweeping attack, making obsolete any need to have Spears or Partizans in the game. A hybrid of the two, so to speak. These benefits could easily be offset by either low power values (a la Partizans in PSO) or cumbersome attacking speed.

I suppose this trails a bit from the original subject of returning weapons. However, Halberds were present in PSO as Halberts, despite being historically inaccurate.

Rangers: Without a doubt, I'm going with Grenade Launchers. I don't know what to expect of ranged weaponry in PSO2, but an option for heavy artillery is all but necessary in the back of my mind. And yes, my Cast Fortegunner was a mad, trigger-happy demolition expert, but even if he hadn't been, I would love to see Grenade Launchers make a return.

Grenade Launchers, realistically, would blow other guns out of the competition, pun not intended. However, in terms of balance, they seem to have done relatively well in making their attacking speed slow, the projectiles sluggish, and the overall damage maintained well enough that the rest of the guns can compete. In fact, it seemed to have been done so well that, between both PSO and PSU, Grenade Launchers were not a crowd favourite. I expect no less if they were brought back in PSO2, but I would give my word that I'd still give them an honest shot. After all, for all the lip the NUG2000-Bazooka got in PSO, it was one of my favourite weapons by the time my RAmar got his skinny little hands on one.

Forces: Technically, I don't have a category for this. I was going to say Bows (which, don't get me wrong, I would still love to see), but as I was preparing to write this up, I realized there was one weapon in PSO that really managed to garner my attention.

Do any of you remember Elysion, or perhaps even Evil Curst? In spite of being Sabers, they held MST requirements. Back then, all weapons, regardless of their weapon type, dealt physical damage based on the user's ATP. ATA held no bearing for Gun damage, nor did MST affect Cane damage. Still, these two weapons (as well as Holy Ray) were the source of much curiosity during my earlier days. Even with the damage system in those days, they played themselves out to be Force weapons (and in Evil Curst's case, it could only be used by Forces).

In PSU, PSZ and PSP/2/i, the other "offensive" stats had effects on the damage output, yet none of these weapons were replicated, due to the stingent restrictions on weapon types. With PSO2, we know absolutely nothing about just how unique weapons can be. And so, deep down inside, I hold hope that weapons such as Elysion can be brought back, and can be wielded by Forces as an option for an effective melee-route.

Worship
Sep 12, 2011, 09:36 AM
Spears and Partisans

This.

darkante
Sep 12, 2011, 10:55 AM
Dual Mechgun
Partisan

^^

Linka
Sep 12, 2011, 02:13 PM
*poofs in*whatcha got-...oh. huh. well, lets see what ol' Linka can bring to the table for weirdness.

if HU, RA, and FO types are all we get once again, then phooey. i like mixing it up. oh well.

HU: i know someone's gonna find this odd of an idea, and say 'cant that classify as a dagger type?', but...tonfas. i know, they're held like daggers sorta....but the combat style is different to a degree. while you slash with a dagger, and have to hold em backhand, a tonfa typically can be variable, and quite easily, as to grip type. the tip can point towards the elbow, or away, with a simple grip adjustment...or can be spun for multiple strikes. this makes em versatile, and allows some interesting PA possibilities compared to daggers.

RA: while yes, we can all agree on Twin Mechguns being a loved addition idea, me?...there's something ive wanted to see, but im not sure if it'd be...such a good idea in PS games. we have rifles, yes, but really, they dont have as much...range...as i'd like. so, yes. i want SNIPER rifles! i wanna be able to stand on a cliff, and snipe down at my foes from above....from maybe half a field away, if i wanted. i cant think of anything more satisfying than headshotting an enemy in a crowd, knowing his buds are gonna freak, wondering how their pal died...or just wondering where the heck they got attacked from. there's a reason i'm a fan of Lockon Stratus from Gundam 00.

FO: hmm. unique weapon idea...unique weapon idea...hmm...ive seen very little on this, really, except for complains on Card weapons. i got two ideas, sorta, but one might need alittle more thought. now, from what i can tell, the issue with cards was in PSO, functionally they sucked, but damage wise, excellent...while in reverse you got PSU's. obviously take PSU functionality, PSO damage...then create a twin version of it. a Twin Cards weapon. you reda right. im suggestin a Twin Cards type. think. functionally, useful in PSU...add in PSO's damage capability, then make a DUAL-WIELD version of that? i think we struck gold.

now, my other idea is alittle vague, but it kinda works like this. wands would be one-handed tech-weapons, Rod being two-handed. what if there was a weapon that was like a wand for the left hand[inb4 TCSM.], but instead of its purpose being typical tech-casting, it was tech-FUSING?! like, load Foie in a wand in right hand...Zonde in the weapon in left...and you could combine those through a dual-cast, creating a new combo-tech. so imagine. Megid plus Damgrants. based on what Metroid Prime 2's logic would say based on mixing light and dark, you'd get a continuous sonic pulse tech which could randomly incapacitate. Grants and Razonde, electrified pin-point light arrow strike. Foie/Diga? flaming meteors. anyone liking this idea?

Serephim
Sep 12, 2011, 03:27 PM
i usually say Tonfas are a stupid weapon, but honestly, i wouldn't mind a few blunt striking weapon types. People make them off to be weaker or something because they don't have an edge, but they can inflict just as much, if not way more at times, than a bladed weapon.

They just aren't as pretty.

For weapons....i dont really know. I want some weapons that help make using your techniques fun.

Sw353
Sep 12, 2011, 04:15 PM
i loved crossbows for their mobility combined with their low elemental but higher base damage along with them being mini shotguns. its one of those weapons i could use as a primary weapon even though it was a secondary to most. PSP2 weakened that love but so did not being able to level the PAs beyond what i can pick up from the ground =w=;

one weapon i definitely wouldn't want to see are PSU laser cannons, they were essentially slow rifles with piercing, but looks like horrible most of the time.

and yeah, im aware it seems kinda contradictory to dislike the PSU lasers but like the PSZ lasers. but really, the PAs for the PSZ lasers treated them more like heavy support weapons, like with sector line which used it in a sweeping manner. while the PSU ones are just rifles with the same "pew pew" action. even in PSP2...

i forget that crossbows are a one hand weapon while shotguns are two handed, that does a make a difference. I wanted to use crossbows, but after lvling three other sets of bullets, i was burnt out lol. The reason i asked about psz lasers is because i had no idea what they were like.

That's kinda the thing, though. I don't really like that portrayal of the Bow. I prefer the realistic, non-fanciful idea of the weapon. The lighthearted take makes them seem lame and weak. In real life, getting hit with an arrow pretty much incapacitates you. I know this is far from "real life", but good fantasy makes things cooler than they really are, not the other way around.

I think that cards are being mentioned because, for one thing, they have a pretty decent chance of not being included. For another, they could easily become a lot cooler in a game as action-oriented as this. Cards are kind of a stylish weapon in a lot of cases, so it could be cool to see what happens if they get another shot.

i see your point of view. I don't agree lol. I'm pro force, so I'm trying to give them as much ammunition as possible lol. Id love for them to be hard hitting shots that used mst as a base for power, but that me.

as far as the cards, i doubt we will ever get the fluidity of X-men's Gambit. they have potential to be cool, but they have already struck out twice.

Enforcer MKV
Sep 12, 2011, 04:46 PM
....Tonfa. Definitely Tonfa.

Like the ninja master from Rurouni Kenshin.

That old man kicked ass.

Sw353
Sep 12, 2011, 04:46 PM
HUnters have a spot in their skill tree where it says that they can attack while Stepping, so it's not out of the question for RAngers to be able to shoot while rolling. It'd probably screw with the angle of the shot, but once you would be able to compensate for it, it'd be a very fluid gameplay mechanic, I think.

I'm not sure what should be done with cards, to tell the truth. Whenever they try implementing them, they end up being mediocre in some form. In PSO, they had horrible accuracy and weird firing angles, and ironically were best used at point blank range, which is the worst place a FOrce wants his or her quarry. In PSU and PSP2, they were functionally superior, but they had disadvantageous damage calculation where in the former, ATP determined the damage, and in the latter, it was a mix of ACC and MND (as a gun weapon, they had to use ACC for damage calculation, though I couldn't tell you if ACC or MND took priority for this). They could try using them as casting weapons, but how would they be distinguishable from wands or rods? Maybe by converting the tech's power into bullet damage and throwing the card imbued with the technique, I dunno.

If there's anything I could live without, it'd probably be PSU's Whips, but their much-more-attractive-cousin-from-out-of-town counterpart, Wired Lance, has arrived, and I'm very looking forward to them. Though I'm hoping Slicer doesn't come back. I never liked Slicers. Ever.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Cards just need work all together. Since the wired lance is here, whips have no place at all. Ive never been a fan of slicers, even tho i found enough to build a shop with in pso ( diska of liberator anyone)

Are we allowed to make up new types too? I want Hammers like the ones in Monster Hunter.

why not, Im honestly hoping for some type of scythe weapon.

Hunters: I think I'll go with Halberds. With the transition to PSO2, I imagine they could finally be distinguished from their Sword brethren, by building them toward what the weapon was intended to do during its golden era in the early 14th and 15th centuries. A weapon with a sizeable reach, that could just as easily slash as it could impale.

Bringing Halberds to the table, fitted with photon blades and spikes, it could act as a pseudo-ranged weapon for melee-fitted characters. I'm not suggesting that it receive the range that any true ranged weapon (ie; guns) get, but enough to give it a longer reach than Swords. With the custom combo, Halberds could transition between a stabbing attack and a sweeping attack, making obsolete any need to have Spears or Partizans in the game. A hybrid of the two, so to speak. These benefits could easily be offset by either low power values (a la Partizans in PSO) or cumbersome attacking speed.

I love this :-D:-D:-D:-D
I think that is what has been missing from the partisan family. other than being slightly faster in pso, i didn't have a distinct function. Im not on board with the grenades yet, i tend to steer clear of the sluggish weapons (just my personal play style) though i do see their importance, especially on large enemies. Im hoping that there are weapons built for each class that are effected by that classes best stat. I would love to have my bow that uses mst instead of ata, if bows are meant for forces. i don't feel like thats too much to ask. but we will see.

is there anything you wouldn't want to see return?

*poofs in*whatcha got-...oh. huh. well, lets see what ol' Linka can bring to the table for weirdness.

if HU, RA, and FO types are all we get once again, then phooey. i like mixing it up. oh well.

HU: i know someone's gonna find this odd of an idea, and say 'cant that classify as a dagger type?', but...tonfas. i know, they're held like daggers sorta....but the combat style is different to a degree. while you slash with a dagger, and have to hold em backhand, a tonfa typically can be variable, and quite easily, as to grip type. the tip can point towards the elbow, or away, with a simple grip adjustment...or can be spun for multiple strikes. this makes em versatile, and allows some interesting PA possibilities compared to daggers.

RA: while yes, we can all agree on Twin Mechguns being a loved addition idea, me?...there's something ive wanted to see, but im not sure if it'd be...such a good idea in PS games. we have rifles, yes, but really, they dont have as much...range...as i'd like. so, yes. i want SNIPER rifles! i wanna be able to stand on a cliff, and snipe down at my foes from above....from maybe half a field away, if i wanted. i cant think of anything more satisfying than headshotting an enemy in a crowd, knowing his buds are gonna freak, wondering how their pal died...or just wondering where the heck they got attacked from. there's a reason i'm a fan of Lockon Stratus from Gundam 00.

FO: hmm. unique weapon idea...unique weapon idea...hmm...ive seen very little on this, really, except for complains on Card weapons. i got two ideas, sorta, but one might need alittle more thought. now, from what i can tell, the issue with cards was in PSO, functionally they sucked, but damage wise, excellent...while in reverse you got PSU's. obviously take PSU functionality, PSO damage...then create a twin version of it. a Twin Cards weapon. you reda right. im suggestin a Twin Cards type. think. functionally, useful in PSU...add in PSO's damage capability, then make a DUAL-WIELD version of that? i think we struck gold.

now, my other idea is alittle vague, but it kinda works like this. wands would be one-handed tech-weapons, Rod being two-handed. what if there was a weapon that was like a wand for the left hand[inb4 TCSM.], but instead of its purpose being typical tech-casting, it was tech-FUSING?! like, load Foie in a wand in right hand...Zonde in the weapon in left...and you could combine those through a dual-cast, creating a new combo-tech. so imagine. Megid plus Damgrants. based on what Metroid Prime 2's logic would say based on mixing light and dark, you'd get a continuous sonic pulse tech which could randomly incapacitate. Grants and Razonde, electrified pin-point light arrow strike. Foie/Diga? flaming meteors. anyone liking this idea?

someone with imagination woot! The Hu idea is interesting. I would think that it would be a very damaging situations. it seems to be a very close combat situation. But i can see the appeal. Ive waited on someone to say sniper rifles. i think they are moving in that direction with the dynamic environments, but i think we will be on ps03 or psu2 before we see them done well. I don't think enemies spawn far enough away for a sniper to be any good.
DUAL CASTING MAGIC WOULD BLOW EVERYONES MIND!!!!!!
no seriously, i think that would push forces into another realm of coolness. even if it were just a "nano blast", a period of being able to dual cast, id be happy. combination magic, cool idea. I don't think we are there yet.

ShadowDragon28
Sep 12, 2011, 05:09 PM
Slicers. Doing aerial acrobatics while lauching spinning blades that chain hit a group of enemies would kick ass IMO.

Serephim
Sep 12, 2011, 06:14 PM
I forgot about Slicers and Jumping.

As long as you dont freeze in the air with slicers, i think it'd be cool.

Pillan
Sep 13, 2011, 09:08 AM
For Hunter, probably axes, as I would be very surprised if twin daggers or double sabers were missing from the game. A heavy, slow, and rewarding single target attack style is definitely something missing from the current line up.

For Rangers, shotguns. PSO style or PSU style, it really doesn't matter. They were always my favorite weapon choice. I am not interested in PSO machineguns, PSU twin handguns, or PSU machineguns, as the new rifle kills the use of all three. But a long range variant of the rifle (e.g., a handgun, or a sniper as someone else suggested) would be quite useful.

For Force, PSZ slicers. And that is mainly to give Force a free long-range option and remove any possibility of giving Hunter a free long-range option.

Dinosaur
Sep 13, 2011, 03:07 PM

I think the freezing in the air during attacks is a big part of their game design. If there was no air freeze, an air combo would have to be really fast and that would be imbalanced vs your ground combo. I'm also sure they wouldn't want it to be a mobile aerial attack(that's not a PA) that would take the role of the dodge/dash away.

Cayenne
Sep 13, 2011, 07:12 PM
I'm hoping they add the type that don't look stupid, one of my worries is they'er gonna make a ton of the rares look like something you buy forma hello kitty store.

Randomness
Sep 13, 2011, 07:24 PM

Jump in the air, then get recoil back from slicers, leading to slight backward movement and higher than you started! Even funnier if you can get up to ledges doing it.

NoiseHERO
Sep 13, 2011, 07:32 PM
You guys REALLY want to force too much realism into this videogame, huh...?

It kind of already died the second we could jump higher than 2 feet.

Cayenne
Sep 13, 2011, 07:32 PM
Oh, another thing, bring back the ORIGINAL slicer

I got a slicer today on PSP2 and it only hits one enemy (unless you use a PA), makes the slicer pointless to even use. I love hitting multiple foes with the slicer on PSO from long distance and it made me feel good knowing that hunters had a weapon that can compete with the shotguns the rangers had.

Tetsaru
Sep 13, 2011, 09:49 PM
Well, seeing as how we've already seen rifles, I hope to see something a bit... heavier. Something like shotguns that fire in a spread, or laser cannons/photon launchers that pierce multiple enemies in a row. I liked PSU's grenade launchers, but they need to not have a fixed range and also be able to fire straight instead of in an arc, although that kinda sounds more like a rocket launcher instead of a grenade launcher to me, and PSO2's rifles seemed to have some sort of explosive shot. Dual mechguns or pistols would be awesome too, especially if we could target two enemies at once with them.

So yeah, I guess just more gun weapons in general, lol.

Sw353
Sep 14, 2011, 01:51 AM
For Hunter, probably axes, as I would be very surprised if twin daggers or double sabers were missing from the game. A heavy, slow, and rewarding single target attack style is definitely something missing from the current line up.

For Rangers, shotguns. PSO style or PSU style, it really doesn't matter. They were always my favorite weapon choice. I am not interested in PSO machineguns, PSU twin handguns, or PSU machineguns, as the new rifle kills the use of all three. But a long range variant of the rifle (e.g., a handgun, or a sniper as someone else suggested) would be quite useful.

For Force, PSZ slicers. And that is mainly to give Force a free long-range option and remove any possibility of giving Hunter a free long-range option.

awesome lineup! i can def stand behind this. anything you wouldn't want to see?

I'm hoping they add the type that don't look stupid, one of my worries is they'er gonna make a ton of the rares look like something you buy forma hello kitty store.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_n6AuXExriAk/SYCywbQrl0I/AAAAAAAAADo/m1tpz0z_Vc8/s400/HelloKitty_5010white-b.jpg

RemiusTA
Sep 14, 2011, 01:57 AM
Uh, lets see here...

Realism =/= believable physics....or rather, Believable Physics =/= Realism. No matter how ridiculous your physics are, you'll need some realistic limitations in order for it to feel right. You can have your people fly, shoot lasers out their ass and lick through solid steel, but if you can make it feel believable, it'll be much easier to swallow. Especially in a videogame, and especially especially in an Action videogame.

[spoiler-box]
For instance -- it's pretty obvious that they're using impossibly heavy swords, but they still have to at least halfway simulate weight in the swinging animations for it to actually feel like a heavy weapon. Otherwise it would just look awkward; kind of like the PSU Doublesaber animation, or the dagger animations before they changed them in AotI (or the Saber animation before they changed that in PSP2). Instead of them just flailing around the Wired Lance (like the PSU Whips), the animations make it seem like they're almost tearing through the enemy. The grabs make great use of weight in the animations to make it really feel like you're throwing something -- if you were to just have them do some typical anime shit (like twirl them around with one arm and a hand on your hip while doing some ridiculous pose) then it wouldn't feel half as powerful.

They seem to get it right here for the most part, but it was a big problem in PSU -- nothing felt right. ESPECIALLY the guns. While PSO2 doesn't have that same recoil feeling as PSO did, it compensates with the filter effects, which works just as well IMO. Anyway, about the whole "floaty in the air" ordeal, yeah, they need to tone it down. The few games I've played that involve aerial combat like that don't usually keep you in the air that long without ALOT more stuff going on. I remember that was one of the worst parts of Devil May Cry 2 when it came out -- you started shooting and Dante would just FLY into the air like you turned the gravity off or something. If you've ever played DMC3 and 4, you'll notice that DMC practically invented combo-based Action Games, but they keep the aerial combos to a low minimum. Well, unless you're just godlike at the game.[/spoiler-box]

I bring this up all the time; super cool stuff like Aerial Combos, giant weapons, energy blasts, explosions, and super ridiculous attacks? You have to use them in moderation, or else 1) ALL of them will lose their "SUGOI" factor, and 2) it'll only get harder and harder for you to top them. (For the third time, i reference PSP2/i and the new PAs + Chargeshot II.) I dont have an issue with it most of the time, but the way the Rangers kind of just hang there in the air when shooting? It looks pretty ridiculous. It's easy to make it look more "natural" when you're swinging something in the air, but when you're shooting a gun and you just flat-out ignore gravity, it looks stupid.

Sw353
Sep 14, 2011, 01:58 AM
Oh, another thing, bring back the ORIGINAL slicer

I got a slicer today on PSP2 and it only hits one enemy (unless you use a PA), makes the slicer pointless to even use. I love hitting multiple foes with the slicer on PSO from long distance and it made me feel good knowing that hunters had a weapon that can compete with the shotguns the rangers had.

The more i hear people talk, the more i don't think hunters should have range like weapons. But i do agree that slicers should hit more than one enemy without a PA. That what made it what it is.

RemiusTA
Sep 14, 2011, 02:00 AM
Hunters being OP is almost unavoidable at this point. They might as well give them slicers, satellite cannons and the ability to equip the Psycho Wand just for good measure.

Jokes aside, i do not want to see Slicers return if they aren't going to once again be a unique weapon class. PSU Slicers were....well, pretty disappointing. I remember finally using one and going "that's it? Where's the bouncy effect?!".

NoiseHERO
Sep 14, 2011, 07:55 AM
I just want PSZ slicers, dunno how many of you still remember that, game but yeah, had the best and even the most "believable" slicers.

They were actually boomerangs and shurikens you threw... Instead of retarded guns that shot floppy blades... And it looked better and worked just as well. The PSO2 would have to be a bunch of dicks to drop that concept.(Or just favoring PSO fans again, which I'd fortunately doubt looking at the battle system and them killing saber.)

Assuming they bring back slicers.

Linka
Sep 14, 2011, 08:39 AM
actually, thinking about it, yeah. PSZ's slicers, although i didnt like them really...i still would rather have one of those over PSU's. but if those do get brought back, least make their flight path more effective, yes? wider, and able to hit more enemies in general?

also, i can easily think of two PAs that'd work if it became more a 'weaken an entire room of enemies at once' weapon. first, one where you throw it at high speeds in a straight line, for much, much higher damage than a regular throw. takes away effective range, converts it into extra damage. and second, a move that throws the Slicer, and has it spin afew times around a single enemy for multiple hits. kinda like a well-controlled Tornado Dance. oh, and its duration increases with PA level.

but, yeah. in regards to hunter weapons, we do need more blunt types. tonfas, 'bo staffs', hammers, etc. some of just like dealing out concussions to kill our foes, rather than severing limbs.

and then, there's the gun-maniacs. ok, we all like the idea of decent twin machine guns. two of us, that i know of, like the idea of a sniper rifle. at least one, wanna see the grenade launcher go bye-bye, and get replaced with a rocket launcher. but there's one weapon i havent seen brought up yet. flamethrower. imagine it. a photon version of the flamethrower...of course with variable element possibilities. shotgun would get quickly outclassed as best close-range gun in terms of power.

now, if i elaborate on this idea, lemme break it down abit. shotguns can deal spreads of shots, and tend to last a fair amount before their photons need recharging. a flamethrower, well those would eat up photons like crazy due to continuous spray. but the damage would compensate for it. so, if you like to peck at groups of enemies to help your allies, without worry of photons being emptied fast, shotgun. wanna get up close and drain your photons really fast to roast some monsters?[fried rappy anyone? hah!] flamethrower. so, they'd still have their individual uses, obviously.

moving on to forces. so, PSZ slicers for them....longbows making a return...crossbows too. wands, rods, and maybe something to allow tech-fusing. im seeing too much emphasis on the typical way to maximize effectiveness of their stats. ive seen mage-types find ways to get creative in other things. we need tech-powered standard weaponry. maybe just small stuff, but still...give the forces some melee options that take advantage of their tech stats. sabers with blades formed through learned techs. bazookas that shoot supercharged techs. something. cause ive heard of the idea of mage-type characters in other things, who use their magic and apply it to weaponry and gadgets, rather than spells and enchantments.

seriously, try thinking on that idea, and see what kinda neat stuff you could come up with for Force types, to give em alittle gadgetry in their arsenal. ive already suggested two. sabers with Tech-enchanted blades. like, literally, you have to equip a tech to em to give em a blade. Foie-bladed sabers, Damgrants-bladed sabers, etc. the idea there is to convert techs, into a melee capability, so each slash of these tech-sabers would eat at photon points, but damage would be based on the tech level, and the tech-based stats as well. the other idea, was a tech-loaded bazooka that supercharges those techs to ramp up their power. Foie goes in, GIANT Foie comes out. Zonde goes in, out comes a Zonde shot that splits each time it hits an enemy, allowing it to hit far more enemies. Barta goes in? out comes a massive ice breath attack. Damgrants goes in...yeaaaah. massive as heck beam of light photons comes out. get the idea yet?

lets see if you guys can come up with anything else along those lines.

chibiLegolas
Sep 14, 2011, 03:00 PM
PSZ slicers. They were fun to use thanks to the different animations through character class/gender/PA's, and are visually diverse.

PSZ Gunblades. They were weak, but they were fun since you can mix 'n match melee + range within the 3 hit combo.

PSO Partisans. The wide arc + speed they had were fun to use. PSU & PSZ's lances where meh since the animation of them were made to be used like pole arms & very liniar attack range.

RemiusTA
Sep 14, 2011, 03:18 PM
Im demanding a Shotgun PA that grabs the enemy and shoves the barrel down their throat. As neat as Sniper Rifles could be, i just dont see how they could be a weapon type. Whats the point of allowing you to sit near the draw point of the map and deal damage to enemies?

I thought Gunslash was stupid when i first saw it, but to tell the truth i kind of like it now. It has essentially taken the Saber/Handgun combo in PSU and made it into something to take serious. I do still hope there's a 2-handed saber style somewhere around here, but i wont fret if there isn't.

Twin Mechguns would be boss with this battle engine. Rifles already have the bullet spray ability, but some highly inaccurate but crazy repeating Mechguns? I'd spam em all day.

But unfortunally, without the Accuracy stat in PSO2, i don't know how they could balance such a weapon out without it being 1) extremely weak, 2) ridiculously inaccurate, or 3) do something like eat up PP without using a special bullet or something. Otherwise, Twin Mechguns would just become a "run up in their face and spray for massive damage" weapon. Kind of like Shotguns. But we should have our own class for that.

Shotguns should push you back 3 steps everytime you fire. That would be fun.

Pillan
Sep 14, 2011, 03:41 PM
awesome lineup! i can def stand behind this. anything you wouldn't want to see?

Actually, I would advise against weapons that serve essentially the same purpose, as the developers have proven time and time again that they cannot balance them.

The most classic example is swords and partisans in the original PSO. Partisans had more speed and accuracy than swords. And in any situation where sword attack power made a significant difference, partisan accuracy made a much larger difference. So partisans were essentially all around better than swords.

You have the same issue with rifles and handguns versus the high end long-range machineguns in PSO. Nine hits plus long range is obviously better than three, regardless of the attack power difference.

And then the issue continued in PSU/P2 with swords versus spears, where spears essentially had the same photon arts but all-around better. And the same issue with rifles versus twin handguns, where twin handguns were better unless the enemy as outside of twin handgun range. Of course, PSU brought even more issues with crossbows versus machineguns (crossbows always win), shotguns versus crossbows (shotguns always win), daggers versus sabers (daggers always win), rifles versus bows (rifles always win) and so on.

The only weapon that really did not have much of an issue was PSO daggers versus PSO double sabers. They both felt about the same to me and it really depended on which one had the higher rank. The only exception to that rule being HUcaseal, who was clearly better with daggers. Of course, in PSU/P2, double sabers are better from the multi-hit advantage alone, but they are different enough for it not to be an issue.

That is not to say that these issues could not be corrected. For instance, I would not mind partisans and swords if partisans were designed so that you only hit the enemy if the enemy is touched by the blade. Thus partisans have the speed advantage but leave a blind spot right in front of the character.

So, the weapons I would get rid of (assuming they are not significantly changed) are PSO partisans/scythes, single daggers, single claws, twin claws, PSU knuckles, PSO twin machineguns, twin handguns, bows, crossbows, and machineguns.

And I would say I am more in favor of PSZ bazookas than PSP2 grenades for purely aesthetic reasons.

Rika-chan
Sep 14, 2011, 04:11 PM
For twin cards, I was think something like the weapons Sheena uses from Tales of Symphonia...and they used MST but attacked slower than a twin dagger or wired lance, or anything with faster attack speed or something. Maybe they could be ranged instead though.

Combining techs would be awesome.

kyuuketsuki
Sep 14, 2011, 07:01 PM
So, the weapons I would get rid of (assuming they are not significantly changed) are PSO partisans/scythes, single daggers, single claws, twin claws, PSU knuckles, PSO twin machineguns, twin handguns, bows, crossbows, and machineguns.
Partisans/scythes, claws (I don't think there's a need to differentiate between single- and double-versions of these weapons since I don't believe the dual-wield mechanic exists as it was in PSU), and bows are three of my favorite weapon types, along with daggers. Arguing that they weren't "balanced" in PSU or PSO is pointless. Even if they're merely redundant, that's fine. I'd pick partisans/scythes over swords simply for personal aesthetic/style preference, and be glad of the option.

Cayenne
Sep 14, 2011, 08:00 PM
I just want PSZ slicers, dunno how many of you still remember that, game but yeah, had the best and even the most "believable" slicers.

They were actually boomerangs and shurikens you threw... Instead of retarded guns that shot floppy blades... And it looked better and worked just as well. The PSO2 would have to be a bunch of dicks to drop that concept.(Or just favoring PSO fans again, which I'd fortunately doubt looking at the battle system and them killing saber.)

Didn't they say the team that was making PSO2 were the people that help make PSO, PSU, and PSZ? If so, I'm sure they will figure something out.

I've never played PSZ (no DS) and i know nothing about it but being kinda based on PSO but if they do bring back what you said about their slicers then I'm board with it, it sounds fun!

Kent
Sep 14, 2011, 08:01 PM
Slicers and Scythes.

Scythes only because they would make a thematically-appropriate choice for a versatile weapon geared toward melee-oriented Force characters (i.e. a rod may be better for casting techniques, but a scythe is better for melee, and still gives a technique damage bonus - that sort of thing). Though, I wouldn't be against a different weapon type doing a similar thing as long as it doesn't, you know, suck. Also I liked the combination of speed and a wide swing that Partisan-type weapons had in PSO. Since it's likely that Partisans won't return to form and instead be replaced by spears, scythes seem like the next best candidate for something wielded in such a way.

Slicers however, are my favorite weapon type from PSO. PSU/P slicers were idiotic in their design, and I haven't used PSZ slicers, but I genuinely enjoyed PSO's implementation of Slicers as a weapon that flings out energy projectile blades that bounce between targets in a manner befitting of chain lightning. It was just a fin type of weapon to use - though for the most part (until you made yourself a high-hit% Rainbow Baton), they were statistically just bad weapons, which was very unfortunate.

From my understanding, Phantasy Star Zero slicers could fly around and hit targets, while you could run around and use unarmed attacks (with no attack bonus from the slicer) and being able to cast techniques... I think it would be interesting to see something like this combined with the idea of knuckle weapons at the same time - that is, you actually do get some bonus over your basic unarmed attack damage (though obviously not quite as much as a dedicated melee weapon, since the slicer itself could be flying around and dealing damage in paralell). If it gave some sort of technique bonus as well, that would be a rather interesting weapon - a literal hybrid weapon, giving hand-to-hand attack damage, ranged attack damage (from the slicer flying around) and some sort of technique damage bonus if you choose to cast while having it out. In fact, that'd be something perfect for my preferred playstyle, so I'd be looking forward to that, were it the case.

Pillan
Sep 14, 2011, 10:27 PM
Even if they're merely redundant, that's fine. I'd pick partisans/scythes over swords simply for personal aesthetic/style preference, and be glad of the option.

Then you might be happy to know that scythes have come back in PSU and PSP2 as rare swords. I would assume it will be the same in PSO2 as well.

RemiusTA
Sep 15, 2011, 12:38 AM
There was like one scythe in PSU.

Cayenne
Sep 15, 2011, 01:26 AM
If they do bring back shotguns, I wonder how they're gonna look and fire.

Illuminate
Sep 15, 2011, 01:31 AM
Twin Sabers have to be in the game, 'nuff said.

Twin Daggers are probably going to be, if not that is dumb. D8

Pillan
Sep 15, 2011, 07:32 AM
There was like one scythe in PSU.

Soul Eater, Soul Banish(er), and Soul Phoenix were the sword scythes. Then they Yohmei S rank axe and the Ill Gill Testament (PSP2) were axe scythes. So that makes at least five that I can name off the top of my head. That makes two more than there were in PSO.

darkante
Sep 15, 2011, 09:32 AM
Also, Infinity have some new scythes as well.
At least from what iīve seen in pictures.

Sw353
Sep 16, 2011, 01:04 PM
give the forces some melee options that take advantage of their tech stats. sabers with blades formed through learned techs. bazookas that shoot supercharged techs.

This is what I'm talking about. Some things other than magic that make use of tech stats. it doesn't have to be many weapons, but something.

yes i think those slicer worked the best. I'm still not very attached to them, but this would be the design i hope they would go for.

Im demanding a Shotgun PA that grabs the enemy and shoves the barrel down their throat. As neat as Sniper Rifles could be, i just dont see how they could be a weapon type. Whats the point of allowing you to sit near the draw point of the map and deal damage to enemies?

I thought Gunslash was stupid when i first saw it, but to tell the truth i kind of like it now. It has essentially taken the Saber/Handgun combo in PSU and made it into something to take serious. I do still hope there's a 2-handed saber style somewhere around here, but i wont fret if there isn't.

Twin Mechguns would be boss with this battle engine. Rifles already have the bullet spray ability, but some highly inaccurate but crazy repeating Mechguns? I'd spam em all day.

But unfortunally, without the Accuracy stat in PSO2, i don't know how they could balance such a weapon out without it being 1) extremely weak, 2) ridiculously inaccurate, or 3) do something like eat up PP without using a special bullet or something. Otherwise, Twin Mechguns would just become a "run up in their face and spray for massive damage" weapon. Kind of like Shotguns. But we should have our own class for that.

Shotguns should push you back 3 steps everytime you fire. That would be fun.

I don't think this game has the range for a sniper yet. Ive always like the gun slash. Just the ability to switch back between the two and combo is interesting enough.
Truth be told, id rather have a twin handgun than twin mech. I imagine the mechs would be like they were in PSO, were there was a significant gab between each blast. I imagine they would make them insanely week, but still useful.

PSZ slicers. They were fun to use thanks to the different animations through character class/gender/PA's, and are visually diverse.

PSZ Gunblades. They were weak, but they were fun since you can mix 'n match melee + range within the 3 hit combo.

PSO Partisans. The wide arc + speed they had were fun to use. PSU & PSZ's lances where meh since the animation of them were made to be used like pole arms & very liniar attack range.

one of few that has love for Partisans.

And then the issue continued in PSU/P2 with swords versus spears, where spears essentially had the same photon arts but all-around better. And the same issue with rifles versus twin handguns, where twin handguns were better unless the enemy as outside of twin handgun range. Of course, PSU brought even more issues with crossbows versus machineguns (crossbows always win), shotguns versus crossbows (shotguns always win), daggers versus sabers (daggers always win), rifles versus bows (rifles always win) and so on.

And I would say I am more in favor of PSZ bazookas than PSP2 grenades for purely aesthetic reasons.

I see what you are saying about the weapons. Im hoping that everything has a distinct purpose, but i want diversity. Though their are better weapon choices, people still used crossbows, rifles, and swords all the time.
You are chopping a large amount of weapons lol. Is it just because they don't have that distinct use, or you just not a fan of all of those weapons?

For twin cards, I was think something like the weapons Sheena uses from Tales of Symphonia...and they used MST but attacked slower than a twin dagger or wired lance, or anything with faster attack speed or something. Maybe they could be ranged instead though.

Combining techs would be awesome.

I forgot about sheen form Tales of Symphonia. that would be an interesting use of cards

Slicers and Scythes.

I agree with the scythes, that would make an interesting weapon choice for forces. I am surprised about PSO slicers, i couldn't stand them. But the weapon type is something that many people are asking for

Enforcer MKV
Sep 16, 2011, 01:43 PM
geez. Uh, dude, you know you can have multiple quotes in a single post, right? O.O

NoiseHERO
Sep 16, 2011, 02:00 PM
I thought sheena used Seals not cards...

I still think the coolest way to fight with cards would be like gambit from X-men/Ace from Final Fantasy Type-0.

Sw353
Sep 16, 2011, 02:01 PM
I'm aware, but I'm not required to. I've just responding to people as i see them.

Seals, cards. its essentially a throwable paper weapon with magic attached. This would be a melee force weapon if used like it is in this video.

Tales of Symphonia - Sheena Solo No Damage against Abyssion - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAMqTL1B0Bo)

kyuuketsuki
Sep 16, 2011, 02:37 PM
I'm aware, but I'm not required to. I've just responding to people as i see them.
Double posting (never mind posting eight times in a row) is generally considered poor forum etiquette regardless of whether you're actually breaking a rule. It adds unnecessary scrolling, inflates the post count, and is rather silly, especially when the forum even has a handy-dandy multi-quote button.

Also, I'm fairly certain it might be breaking the rule regarding disruptive posting, but that's for a mod to determine of course.

On-topic: Yes, cards/seals are the s***. If I remember right, some of the card-type weapons in PSO made an effect when they hit rather resembling a "seal", which was very cool. Gambit-style kinetic cards would be acceptable as well.

Pillan
Sep 16, 2011, 02:42 PM
You are chopping a large amount of weapons lol. Is it just because they don't have that distinct use, or you just not a fan of all of those weapons?

In case it was not clear, I want all the weapons to be worthwhile at any point in the game. Weapons that are essentially "the same weapon, but faster kills" destroy that possibility. So I am certainly in favor of bringing all the weapons back as long as none of them kill the use of the other version.

yoshiblue
Sep 16, 2011, 02:51 PM
Wait whuh?

Heh uber late reply. I've been to other forums with an occasional off topic here and there. You have the people who find them cool. You have others that range from plain haters to literalists (as in they hate because they say they won't work or something alone those lines) to "this weapon is better" type of people.

Anywho, please do continue.

NoiseHERO
Sep 16, 2011, 03:16 PM
Heh uber late reply. I've been to other forums with an occasional off topic here and there. You have the people who find them cool. You have others that range from plain haters to literalists (as in they hate because they say they won't work or something alone those lines) to "this weapon is better" type of people.

Anywho, please do continue.

I mean...

We HAVE gunblades already. this is stuff we want to return. o_o

Sw353
Sep 16, 2011, 04:43 PM
In case it was not clear, I want all the weapons to be worthwhile at any point in the game. Weapons that are essentially "the same weapon, but faster kills" destroy that possibility. So I am certainly in favor of bringing all the weapons back as long as none of them kill the use of the other version.

What you are saying is clear. I wouldn't hold my breath on it. With everyone having different styles they like to play as, each weapon type gives people the opportunity to find things that they like. I never really used the cross bow. Like you said, the shotguns was more effective. but a few people in here say they would miss them, it suited their play style. Half the things on that list were the weapons i used the most lol. I think play style counts for something. hope that makes sense.

Part of the reason i created this thread was to see what weapons people really wanted to use. What people could live with, and without. I expected more uniform answers, but it has been good to see people bring in their real opinions. It doesn't seem like people are just voting for the stronger, high number outputs.

Well the mod fixed the forum post, so the "excessive scrolling" issue is fixed. I respond to people as i go because i can't sit on here and respond to each person right after they post. Im beginning to see why their are such a small about of people posting in forums. The amount of hostility I've seen in almost every thread is alarming. But id rather not be one of those people complaining about people complaining, so ill stop here.

kyuuketsuki
Sep 16, 2011, 08:06 PM
The amount of hostility I've seen in almost every thread is alarming.
Eh? Hostility? There's nothing hostile about pointing out bad etiquette or outright rule-breaking. You shouldn't take it as such, and I certainly didn't mean to make you feel threatened or any such thing.

It's fine if you post, then see another post to respond to -- I often edit my posts multiple times to add responses (and correct various things). But you use the "Edit" button rather than making a new post if your post is still the last one in the thread.

Ryna
Sep 16, 2011, 08:20 PM
Well the mod fixed the forum post, so the "excessive scrolling" issue is fixed. I respond to people as i go because i can't sit on here and respond to each person right after they post. Im beginning to see why their are such a small about of people posting in forums. The amount of hostility I've seen in almost every thread is alarming. But id rather not be one of those people complaining about people complaining, so ill stop here.

It should noted that duplicate posting is heavily frowned upon and that you are strongly encouraged to post all of your replies in a single post. This is considered to be basic forum etiquette and is explained in the forum rules. If you any questions, send me a private message.

On-Topic:
I'd like to see the return of the Shotgun weapon type. A powerful, short range Ranger weapon is always interesting.

CAMPSO
Sep 16, 2011, 08:30 PM
Hmm... i would like to see cards return. And maybe slicers. I always thought these weapons were good alternatives for FOs to use.

Sw353
Sep 17, 2011, 12:51 AM
Eh? Hostility? There's nothing hostile about pointing out bad etiquette or outright rule-breaking. You shouldn't take it as such, and I certainly didn't mean to make you feel threatened or any such thing.

It's fine if you post, then see another post to respond to -- I often edit my posts multiple times to add responses (and correct various things). But you use the "Edit" button rather than making a new post if your post is still the last one in the thread.

I wasn't just talking about here, i meant in general. Maybe its just smart alecs, but people (not everyone) seems unnecessarily angry.
I wasn't aware that you could edit a post then multi post. Ill keep that in mind.

It should noted that duplicate posting is heavily frowned upon and that you are strongly encouraged to post all of your replies in a single post. This is considered to be basic forum etiquette and is explained in the forum rules. If you any questions, send me a private message.

On-Topic:
I'd like to see the return of the Shotgun weapon type. A powerful, short range Ranger weapon is always interesting.

got it.
on topic: I haven't received as many shotgun request as i thought. That seemed like the preferred range weapon in psu. Not knocking you for saying it, id be surprised if there were missing.

Hmm... i would like to see cards return. And maybe slicers. I always thought these weapons were good alternatives for FOs to use.

I should have included a poll. Im sure Cards and Slicers would have one. anything any of you wouldn't want to see return?

Cayenne
Sep 17, 2011, 02:12 AM
They're stupid if they only have guns that hit 1 enemy at a time. (PA don't count)

darkante
Sep 17, 2011, 02:51 AM
I would love to see Slicerīs return if it arced or w/e you call it in PSO.
That looked awesome.

yoshiblue
Sep 17, 2011, 06:26 PM
I mean...

We HAVE gunblades already. this is stuff we want to return. o_o

Oh this whole time I thought people were talking about the saber gun combo coming back. Heh heh. Guess I should read more carefully. ಠ_ರೃ

Randomness
Sep 17, 2011, 06:31 PM
on topic: I haven't received as many shotgun request as i thought. That seemed like the preferred range weapon in psu. Not knocking you for saying it, id be surprised if there were missing.

Shotguns were preferred because they were the least painful to level (I mean, really, the gun bullets should have leveled three times as fast as melee arts at least, since you had to level elements separately, while hunters leveled one art for all elements. Same for offensive force techs). They also were useful against both swarms of little mobs and big mobs (point blank=high damage). The only real difference from PSO's shotguns? Being able to fire all thee rounds into a single enemy.

yoshiblue
Sep 17, 2011, 06:36 PM
I may be wrong but I think PSO's shottys have the edge over PSU's shottys due to being able to home in on a foe. Kind of weird seeing something do that. Of course I haven't used any shottys in PSO. Just seen them in Yobtube videos.

Pillan
Sep 17, 2011, 07:27 PM
PSO's shotguns never homed in on enemies, but the angle that the bullets were fired changed to hit targets within range. And they continued to operate that way in PSU.

Cayenne
Sep 17, 2011, 07:33 PM
PSU shotguns just "felt" weak and dull, PSO's shots were fun to use and look badass

yoshiblue
Sep 17, 2011, 07:37 PM
PSO's shotguns never homed in on enemies, but the angle that the bullets were fired changed to hit targets within range. And they continued to operate that way in PSU.

Guess I didn't rank the shotty's PA enough in PSP. They just fired 5 shots in a cone and didn't re-angle themselves. Or I've been doing it wrong this whole time. Meh.

Enforcer MKV
Sep 17, 2011, 07:38 PM
I thought PSU's shotguns were terrible.....I hated using them.

Randomness
Sep 17, 2011, 07:38 PM
PSU shotguns just "felt" weak and dull, PSO's shots were fun to use and look badass

Well, the 10* shotty was badass. Four barrels.

They were, as I said, just very very useful. And no, they didn't have the auto-aim of PSO, not by a long shot. At best, the center of the burst was aimed, but the spread was basically fixed. PSO shots could have the bullets basically go all the same way and such, depending on enemy layout.

Canard de Bain
Sep 17, 2011, 09:36 PM
Why does no one like grenade launchers?

darkante
Sep 18, 2011, 01:26 AM
I like GL mostly for bosses since they never blew away.

In PSP2/Infinity where chaining is crucial for damage.
Blowing them away doesnīt help much in crowds since the damage is lacking even with a decent chain.
You might as well use a Shotgun.

Now if they took away the blow attack and replaced it with a knock-down effect, it would be beastly.
But since i canīt determine how they would work best in PSO2 then iīll just wait and see.
I welcome the return off course, but even moreso if we instead got back the Rocket Launcher. ^^

Cayenne
Sep 18, 2011, 02:32 AM
They need to create, test, and get feedback on what works right, feels right, and most of all is it fun to use?

I think the creators of PSU just made their own version of weapon and only looked at the stats and not the feel of it. Weapons are a BIG reason to why PSO was fun to begin with.

FOkyasuta
Sep 18, 2011, 02:38 AM
Twin H.Guns were sexy and probably the only most loved things to come from this new gen. So i raise my vote for that.

Geistritter
Sep 18, 2011, 10:19 AM
PSU's Knuckles were awesome. I just hope they don't look so absurd this time.

Grenade Launchers were also awesome and had a useful niche, possibly moreso now that some enemies can be flipped or otherwise rendered in a state that exposes their weak points. I'd like to see them make a return.

Twin Handguns were neat but ultimately not very distinct in function. I'd really dig a multi-targeting capability from them.

Angelo
Sep 18, 2011, 12:48 PM

This is true. Knuckles were probably my second choice after Axe, but they started just getting ridiculous looking, and sharp. The best looking knuckles were the lowest rank Parum-style ones; they were compact and blunt. Everything else was like some lightsaber-push-dagger.

Once people started getting to 10 and 11 star you couldn't tell if someone was using knuckles or twin claws until they started attacking.

Enforcer MKV
Sep 18, 2011, 01:40 PM

Grenade Launchers were also awesome and had a useful niche, possibly moreso now that some enemies can be flipped or otherwise rendered in a state that exposes their weak points. I'd like to see them make a return.

Twin Handguns were neat but ultimately not very distinct in function. I'd really dig a multi-targeting capability from them.

You could shoot and move at the same time? And if the ranks, grinds, and PA level matched up, and you hit with both shots of twin handguns, they did more damage than a rifle. Not much, but there was a difference.