PDA

View Full Version : Hey You've come a long way... baby.

Palle
Sep 12, 2011, 02:24 AM
With the recent birthday of the Dreamcast, along with the anniversary of PSO, I've been reminiscing about old times and had some laughs at the me of 2001. I got to thinking that you guys may also want to laugh at me, or perhaps join in reminiscing about how much you've changed since we all started playing PSO.

This was me in October of 2001.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/3043/quiksilver0607.jpg

I started on DC V2, but only played offline (until Ep I & II came out for GC). My first character was a HUmar called Halo (nothing to do with the Bungie game). Just after picking up the game, I found a strategy guide in Electronics Boutique which, after asking the clerk, wasn't in their inventory and should have been trashed. He sold it to me for a penny. My buddy also joined in and made a character on my VMU, but I don't remember much about it other than it was a HUcast. Back then I used AIM for messaging online, and even had the animated PSOW RAmar Buddy Icon.

At the time, I had just quit freelancing as a DJ after 6 years; my last stage name was Blackdrive (one of many). I had no college education and no legitimate work experience outside of retail. I had to start over from scratch. Tough times, but we can laugh about them now.

Like the clothes I used to wear, holy hell. :D

Feel free to post your PSO newb portraits or stories about the old days. Unless you were minors at the time. Then just laugh at me/mine.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Sep 12, 2011, 03:11 AM
"I laugh at you, hahaha"

Always wanted to use this phrase in place of "lol" but now it just sounds rude even if you asked for that response twice over. Shoulda coulda woulda, roleplayed that game like the online BB dude with the "Initiate Laugh: lol" * (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74090) Purple Green joker RAcast in Ep IV or some such open game.

Yeah, was what 16 years old n00bman. Silly posts abound on the PSOW, before an FKL ever existed donchaknow. Smilies everywhere, misconceptions, green machine, tried to get all smart without the life experience in them Rants to mixed reviews.

HUcast first dude. 13 inch TV, no cable, craptenna eyeball bleeder despite the sharpness a Dreamcast could provide. Didn't get online again after some V1 & 2 56k'in until BB NA Official, 2005 ish there, right near ending a job I'd been with over 2 years.

*Exposed, smiley disease back in 2005 too.

Outrider
Sep 12, 2011, 12:33 PM
I was 15 when PSO game came out. I was in my sophomore year of high school. Nothing terribly interesting to report on that front.

I didn't have a Dreamcast at the time (didn't get one until many years later), so I didn't really play PSO until Ep I + II on Gamecube.

However, my friend's younger brother got the game and I watched him play for a while.

He made a HUmar with silver hair named Sephiroth and wound up playing with someone a few dozen levels higher than him. This mysterious player was very friendly, and helped him through the Forest by keeping him alive and explaining the game systems for him. I always thought it was nice.