PDA

View Full Version : [Help Requested] PSO2 FB Global Servers Petition

Tycho
Sep 14, 2011, 11:05 AM
link: http://facebook.com/sega.pso2/posts/208754165855928

I've made a petition for globally linked servers on the official PSO2 FB page, both in English and in Japanese, hoping to give these concerns the needed consideration. Please like/comment to help show SoJ the importance of this. If you still know others PS-fans that aren't as active on here, we could use all the exposure we can get here.

Crossing my fingers before the improbable 'global' clarification at TGS, but timing-wise I'm thinking now would work best for this, so most people could like/comment before Bonkohara would see.

I've worded it as a boycott declaration, not out of delusion, but to help get the message across to them. Call me naive, but I don't remember previous attempts to explain our concerns to SoJ way before, so this is the least we could do. Let's do this. It's in our common interest -- heck, even SoA would be better off.

PS: silly FB character limits, tried to cut down the Japanese to exactly 1,000 characters.

e: Thanks to Hrith and EspioKaos for proofreading.

str898mustang
Sep 14, 2011, 11:13 AM
lol

10char

Hrith
Sep 14, 2011, 11:17 AM
Yes, I do not remember anyone ever trying to do anything about the severely affected US servers for PSO: Blue Burst and PSU, despite the myriad of complaints to be read everywhere that the Japanese servers were far better and ahead of ours, that we were being treated as second-rate customers, etc.

I commend your effort for trying to get us a better product. I dare assume they'll have the politeness to at least read the message, so the more votes it gets, the more weight it will have.

Anon_Fire
Sep 14, 2011, 11:54 AM
link: http://facebook.com/sega.pso2?filter=1

I've made a petition for globally linked servers on the official PSO2 FB page, both in English and in Japanese, hoping to give these concerns the needed consideration. Please like/comment to help show SoJ the importance of this. If you still know others PS-fans that aren't as active on here, we could use all the exposure we can get here.

Crossing my fingers before the improbable 'global' clarification at TGS, but timing-wise I'm thinking now would work best for this, so most people could like/comment before Bonkohara would see.

I've worded it as a boycott declaration, not out of delusion, but to help get the message across to them. Call me naive, but I don't remember previous attempts to explain our concerns to SoJ way before, so this is the least we could do. Let's do this. It's in our common interest -- heck, even SoA would be better off.

PS: silly FB character limits, tried to cut down the Japanese to exactly 1,000 characters.

What about them using GameGuard?

Zaix
Sep 14, 2011, 12:23 PM
I like what you did there...(bad pun I know)

Tycho
Sep 14, 2011, 12:39 PM
What about them using GameGuard?
You might wanna redo that FB post with the GTranslated Japanese replaced by あとは、みんなのために、nProtect GameGuardを製品版には使わないで下さい。

Canard de Bain
Sep 14, 2011, 12:56 PM
I decline to do this. I do not have a FB.

Ilikelamp7
Sep 14, 2011, 03:13 PM
I decline to do this. I do not have a FB.

Yes neither do I and if they even did have global servers it would just turn into a piece of shit like PSU has.

NoiseHERO
Sep 14, 2011, 04:08 PM
A facebook petition...

And I thought the worse would be a forum petition...

Enforcer MKV
Sep 14, 2011, 04:13 PM
Yes neither do I and if they even did have global servers it would just turn into a piece of shit like PSU has.

Um...actually, if they had global servers, it wouldn't turn out like PSU.

Having global servers means that JP, EU, and NA players are all together, and we'd all receive the same content. The only way PSO2 with global servers could bomb is if they didn't give content to anyone, JP included.

Sega would do that. It might kill them if they did.

Tycho
Sep 14, 2011, 04:21 PM
A facebook petition...
And I thought the worse would be a forum petition...
The FB page was created by Bonkohara on behalf of SOJ for the sole purpose of keeping in touch with the community for thoughts on PSO2; she will read it.

Sep 14, 2011, 04:44 PM
Yes people please be optimistic on this since it is a brand new game and if enough people show SoJ that the community is big enough for a global project they will do it. It would be financially asinine for SoJ not to do this especially if the community grows beyond 500k+. I know a majority of ex players who would rejoin if this was on global servers, and the fact that even after the shut down of pc/ps2 and the reskins fiasco, and no guardians cash - there is still a player base on the PSU 360 servers it should be clear to SoJ that the global community will not let the game die easily and without a fight. So we should all support the FB page to show SoJ that we love the game and they need to show us that they actually LOVE US BACK!!! :argh:

bloodflowers
Sep 14, 2011, 05:07 PM
Commented, good idea. I'll mention this on my blog.

Mag-X
Sep 14, 2011, 05:18 PM
The original Phantasy Star Online on Dreamcast had unified servers. They just screwed you over based on your registered region. Japanese players got lots of new quests and items, and American and European players still got nothing. You could play on the Japanese channels, but you still could only access the few quests they bothered to translate.

Managed to get your hands on one of the items that was a prize from one of the Japanese quests? The game would disconnect you and delete it from your inventory.

Arkios
Sep 14, 2011, 05:20 PM
I liked the post. I'll play the game regardless of what they do.

This is the only series that I will play the "fanboy" card and play no matter HOW CRAPPY the game may end up being.

NOFEAR
Sep 14, 2011, 05:29 PM
Good job Tycho.

Come on guys stop being pesimistic, just log in FB for a minute and click the 'I Like' button and post a comment. For the first time US/EU PSO community can at least be heared.

Also, STICKY THIS!

SELENNA
Sep 14, 2011, 05:42 PM
I appreciate the initiative. But I'm not expecting results, simply because SOJ doesn't care. History will most probably repeat itself.

Mag-X
Sep 14, 2011, 05:46 PM
I think it's less about how much we want to play with them, and more about how much they don't want to play with us.

kyuuketsuki
Sep 14, 2011, 06:35 PM
Remove the "threat" of boycotting and add in a short blurb about not using GameGuard and I'll sign it.

BanF
Sep 14, 2011, 08:05 PM
No way José. If God had meant Humanking to play together, he wouldn't have broken up Pangea.

Regional servers not only help with lag, they also keep the offensive, cheating, hacking NA populace away from more game-respectful communities. And I should know, having had to suffer you people in PSO, PSO:BB and PSU, being as I am stuck in NA.

And we do get something in return with regional servers: our game becomes so niche, with so few players, that you people can offend, cheat and hack to your hearts' content and SEGA will just bend over and ask for more, sir.

So no, bad idea, no global servers please, everyone on their side of the ponds, each with his own brand of crazy, and just the Aussies having to connect a really long distance to play. Unless SEGA gives them their own servers, of course.

NoiseHERO
Sep 14, 2011, 08:08 PM
No way José. If God had meant Humanking to play together, he wouldn't have broken up Pangea.

Regional servers not only help with lag, they also keep the offensive, cheating, hacking NA populace away from more game-respectful communities. And I should know, having had to suffer you people in PSO, PSO:BB and PSU, being as I am stuck in NA.

And we do get something in return with regional servers: our game becomes so niche, with so few players, that you people can offend, cheat and hack to your hearts' content and SEGA will just bend over and ask for more, sir.

So no, bad idea, no global servers please, everyone on their side of the ponds, each with his own brand of crazy, and just the Aussies having to connect a really long distance to play. Unless SEGA gives them their own servers, of course.

You could of just said "Keep all those dirty, lying, no good, cheating gaijin out of my precious Japanese people's servers."

And expected the same replies.

Anon_Fire
Sep 14, 2011, 08:26 PM

Your crazy.

Zaix
Sep 14, 2011, 08:30 PM

Japan's server would actually be closer to you than NA's server would be...you should like that. Also glitch exploits hardly qualify as hacking.

Mike
Sep 14, 2011, 09:13 PM
... they also keep the offensive, cheating, hacking NA populace away from more game-respectful communities.
This one gets me every time.

Arkios
Sep 14, 2011, 09:53 PM

http://srslycute.com/wp-content/main/2011_04/monkey-in-hot-spring-too-much-real-life.jpg

Palle
Sep 15, 2011, 01:38 AM
Boycotting anyway, no harm in signing.

...or maybe there is, apparently. :o

BanF
Sep 15, 2011, 01:51 AM
Japan's server would actually be closer to you than NA's server would be...you should like that. Also glitch exploits hardly qualify as hacking.

Last time I checked California is closer to me than Japan, but you might not inhabit the same universe I do. No idea where you get that Japan is closer to NA than NA!

And there were glitch exploits, and there was hacking as well. I still remember on the official PSO:BB forums one of the hackers' sig, maybe you do too! "In order to save PSO we must destroy PSO." That moron got banned shortly before I left PSO:BB for good, I think, but the game was beyond repair by then. I sensibly got PSU on Xblox instead of PC because of people like him (and you, Mr. Glitch Exploit Apologist), and got to chuckle at the periodic room hacking and similar that occurred on the those servers, even if eventually it died off, most likely because the hackers got bored. And of course shortly after that SEGA pulled the plug on the PC/PS2 servers anyway!

Long story short, I don't want long-distance lag in addition to putting up with all those dirty, lying, no good, cheating gaijin AND all the whining and drama-queening the Japanese people are going to make because of the presence of all those dirty, lying, no good, cheating gaijin. Just give me the latter, you I can at least blacklist!

P.S. For the record, never played or will play on Japanese servers. Too much lag, and too much hassle to learn Japanese, not to mention they're such drama queens and very weird.

relentless
Sep 15, 2011, 02:01 AM
No harm or disadvantage in liking / commenting. It's a nice try. They will at least give it a read even if their minds are already set.

Tycho
Sep 15, 2011, 05:10 AM
Remove the "threat" of boycotting and add in a short blurb about not using GameGuard and I'll sign it.
Editing FB posts? If only. >_<

Regional servers help with lag
What of the linked servers used for PSO GC? Play wherever you want, 15-minute content gaps between them (but seeing as you could play on any of them anyway..).

Thanks for all the extra FB messages by the way!

Kazzi
Sep 15, 2011, 05:51 AM
I just want the US server linked with the EU. I'm fine with waiting a little extra time for them to translate new content as long as I can play with people who actually speak English.

Canard de Bain
Sep 15, 2011, 06:33 AM
The thing is they don't translate the content.

NoiseHERO
Sep 15, 2011, 08:18 AM
Wait theres a threat of boycotting in there...?

That... just kills f2p mmos...

Enforcer MKV
Sep 15, 2011, 08:33 AM

WhatisthisIdon'teven.....

I know this might bite me in the buttplate(Gimnas legs, look it up in PSU parts section), but you do realize that not all of the people in the NA servers are like that, right? I mean - no matter where you go, you're going to find individuals like that.

I rather like talking to people in other regions. It helps me broaden my horizens. Plus, it's nice to see how people in other regions do things. It's very interesting, to me at least.

soniczx
Sep 15, 2011, 09:05 AM
Took me a while to scroll down just to search for your message in FB with the link given at the first post. Here's the direct link, and you have my support as well xD

http://www.facebook.com/sega.pso2/posts/208754165855928

Oh btw, I'm not sure if it works the same way for you, but when i click the 'x' on the upper right of my post to delete, it turned into edit post before i chose to remove the text to delete it.

Tetsaru
Sep 15, 2011, 10:22 AM
I pretty much clicked "Like" on every post I saw that had something to do with wanting global servers, lol. I really hope Sega gets the hint.

amtalx
Sep 15, 2011, 10:28 AM
Sega is probably more concerned with the technical hurdles of global servers rather than fan acceptance.

moorebounce
Sep 15, 2011, 12:15 PM
I don't want the servers to have anything to do with FB. I don't even go to FB anymore and you'll need a better reason than to sign a petition.

I would only go to FB if my life depended on it and then I would still have to think about it first. lol

MadDogg
Sep 15, 2011, 03:56 PM

Funny thing about this post.....as a importer of gamecube pso episode 1 and 2 and someone that was playing on the servers on day one, I remember the japanese community cheating their asses off on the game no more than three days after release. There was snow queens and double cannons all over the place, the cheating got so bad to where sega made a completely new server, and if you wanted to play on that new server you had to mail in your disc and get their new updated one, or else you were stuck on the old server which would recieve no updates (this also basically screwed over the importers, the few of us that was on there anyway).

Can't put the blame on no one else but the godly can do no wrong japanese community on that one, seeing as no other country had the game three days after the japanese release. (and there was only like what, 30...40 of we importers, which we all where just excited with playing the game rather than trying to cheat already).

Cayenne
Sep 15, 2011, 05:42 PM
I don't see this petition going anywhere.

I rather SEGA focus on making this an amazing game then try to make a connection worldwide.

That's just my opinion. Take it or leave it.

Zaix
Sep 15, 2011, 06:30 PM
I don't see this petition going anywhere.

I rather SEGA focus on making this an amazing game then try to make a connection worldwide.

That's just my opinion. Take it or leave it.

If this really did distract them from making an amazing game in some way, which I highly doubt it would, I would prefer a mostly amazing game that gets updated regularly and lasts longer than a few years over a super amazing game that hardly ever sees updates and basically winds up being the same old stuff after several years.

bloodflowers
Sep 15, 2011, 06:32 PM
And we do get something in return with regional servers: our game becomes unique

Fixed that for you. This is the only thing that matters, avoiding a content gap.

Canard de Bain
Sep 15, 2011, 06:42 PM
It is a friggin hack and slash game. Quit making it seem like we need to communicate with others.

Tycho
Sep 15, 2011, 06:46 PM
I know I skipped out on the explanation here, but this isn't about being able to play with people you can't communicate with -- it's about making sure we won't need to face the crappy support and content gaps that plagued PSO:BB and PSU anymore.

Took me a while to scroll down just to search for your message in FB with the link given at the first post. Here's the direct link, and you have my support as well xD

http://www.facebook.com/sega.pso2/posts/208754165855928

Oh btw, I'm not sure if it works the same way for you, but when i click the 'x' on the upper right of my post to delete, it turned into edit post before i chose to remove the text to delete it.
Ah, thanks!, edited it -- I didn't expect so many new posts at first.
Didn't know about the edit function, that's pretty well-hidden.. though it looks like doesn't apply to first posts for some reason.

Toward kyuuketsuki then, I'd rather keep it this way (as I don't consider GG as much of a deal-breaker as content), but if you wanted to post about GG yourself, go ahead, you could try that Japanese line for Anon_Fire I posted earlier, looks like he just deleted his post there without putting up anything new.

Kaju122
Sep 15, 2011, 06:54 PM
I think it would be cool to have global servers as an option... The lag would be unbearable. In PSU it was doable, idk about PSO2 tho....

Mike
Sep 15, 2011, 07:00 PM
I think it would be cool to have global servers as an option... The lag would be unbearable. In PSU it was doable, idk about PSO2 tho....

Here's a personal annecdote: I played the alpha in two countries while it was going on and the lag was hardly unbearable.

johnjacob
Sep 15, 2011, 07:14 PM
many of us have played jp psu if you have played that you know how much of an issue latency can be at times

Cayenne
Sep 15, 2011, 07:15 PM
I know I skipped out on the explanation here, but this isn't about being able to play with people you can't communicate with -- it's about making sure we won't need to face the crappy support and content gaps that plagued PSO:BB and PSU anymore.

Oh, THAT! I'm sure they will support each region. They put a lot of effort into this and they KNOW fucking this up is losing a huge fan-base (and money). If they learned what happened to Square Enix and FFIX, they know not to upset the players and keeping the game as great as it can be for a long time.

I know SEGA has a bad rep for not supporting their online games but this is like their first baby MMO, this is what's gonna get them higher up the chain, they fuck this up then it's over.

Kaju122
Sep 15, 2011, 07:38 PM
Here's a personal annecdote: I played the alpha in two countries while it was going on and the lag was hardly unbearable.

Depends what you're used to. JP PSU was unbearable for me.... I don't like smacking something and waiting more than 1 second to see my damage... It works in games like ffxi, but in fast paced games like Phantasy Star, thats a huge nono... for me anyway.

Canard de Bain
Sep 15, 2011, 08:16 PM
1s lag is not caused by distance

Kaju122
Sep 15, 2011, 08:22 PM
Latency.

Canard de Bain
Sep 15, 2011, 08:30 PM
Latency.

not the magnitude of 1s

Arkios
Sep 15, 2011, 08:37 PM
Latency.

It's barely noticeable, at all. Here are two ping tests. Both are tests from California. If you're getting 1s delays, find a better ISP.

http://www.pingtest.net/result/46971235.png (http://www.pingtest.net)

http://www.pingtest.net/result/46971289.png (http://www.pingtest.net)

Kaju122
Sep 15, 2011, 08:53 PM
very video i watch of someone playing JP psu is the same... its not just me.

Kaju122
Sep 15, 2011, 08:54 PM
Im on the us east coast, JP is literally on the other side of the world.

Arkios
Sep 15, 2011, 09:02 PM
Im on the us east coast, JP is literally on the other side of the world.

The ping test I provided goes the longer distance. Hence, why the distance is ~7,000mi. Your latency should be better than the test I posted above.

Kaju122
Sep 15, 2011, 09:04 PM
http://www.pingtest.net/result/46972096.png (http://www.pingtest.net) 300ms is still way to long from me in a game like Phantasy star :P

johnjacob
Sep 15, 2011, 09:09 PM
I have 222ping to the Tokyo server and I live NorthE of NA
Why are you guys testing a server in the Philippines?

Kaju122
Sep 15, 2011, 09:10 PM
none in japan x.x on this site

Arkios
Sep 15, 2011, 09:12 PM
Hmm, yeah 300+ would be a little rough.

I suppose it depends on how the client interacts with the server. 300+ would DEFINITELY be unplayable for a FPS, but I've played WoW with close to 300ms of latency and it wasn't horrible. (It wasn't good either, but it was tolerable)

johnjacob
Sep 15, 2011, 09:12 PM
Use its connector site http://www.speedtest.net/

Arkios
Sep 15, 2011, 09:16 PM
Use its connector site http://www.speedtest.net/

Ah, I couldn't figure out to change the server at first. Yeah, I get 146ms ping times to the server in Tokyo. That's not too bad.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1485333505.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Tycho
Sep 16, 2011, 05:39 AM
I'm reiterating, but if they link the servers as they did in PSO, there's no need for lag at all.

amtalx
Sep 16, 2011, 01:39 PM
A point-to-point ping test is meaningless here. A ping is a small packet that uses SNMP to determine the response time of a server to a single client. That's not applicable to a real world situation where you are going to have multiple synchronous clients from all over the world using TCP (and maybe some UDP) with significantly larger packet sizes. A speed test doesn't factor in any overhead for all the heavy lifting the server has to do like damage calculations, client/server security checks, etc.

I'm not saying a unified server is impossible. It's not. I'm just saying this isn't an accurate test, and there are still serious technical hurdles.

Anon_Fire
Sep 16, 2011, 08:57 PM
There was one person on the page that doesn't want global servers.

NoiseHERO
Sep 16, 2011, 10:44 PM
I don't think we NEEEED global servers.

It'd just be the easiest solution for everything.

Hrith
Sep 16, 2011, 11:49 PM
I'm not saying a unified server is impossible. It's not. I'm just saying this isn't an accurate test, and there are still serious technical hurdles.Then I'd wish to know what those are.

Note we're not asking for one server for the entire world, but that the JP and US servers are linked, it's not the same thing.

PSO for the Gamecube was done that way, and it worked better than any instalment which came afterwards (PSO:BB and PSU).
So if they could do it in 2002, why not in 2011?

Having PSO2 servers linked in the same fashion the Gamecube servers were would help give us the same content at the same time as the Japanese players, which was the case for PSO EpI&II, but not PSO:BB or PSU.

Most, if not all, people who have played PSO:BB or PSU on the US servers have felt insulted and treated as second-rate customers, and have grown extremely tired of it. Many have felt they had 'no choice' but to move to the Japanese servers. As a company, it's a shame to force its paying customers to play on servers from another continent just to get what you're supposed to get, no more, no less.

Macman
Sep 17, 2011, 12:46 AM
Not to be the devil's advocate, but wouldn't proposing a boycott publicly like this just discourage an international release at all? Are you really willing to risk PSO2 becoming "JP ONRY" altogether just for the sake of punctuation?

kyuuketsuki
Sep 17, 2011, 01:36 AM
Not to be the devil's advocate, but wouldn't proposing a boycott publicly like this just discourage an international release at all?
That's what I thought. Seems like a bad idea (not to mention rather rude) to threaten a boycott when we want them to want to do a good NA/EU release with unified servers.

Tycho
Sep 17, 2011, 05:09 AM
I know it's rude, but they'd want the money anyway; if you're saying they'll feel insulted and as a result change their decisions, I'd doubt that. That aside, the Japanese translation is still more polite though (obviously).

Lolitron
Sep 17, 2011, 05:56 AM
Let's be realistic.

It's probably better to have separate servers since US players love to hack their games to hell and back. We don't want the entire game to die just because of a group of us who do it for shits and giggles. Gameguard won't help at all.

I'd rather play on the JP server then take that risk.

Macman
Sep 17, 2011, 11:51 AM
We don't want the entire game to die just because of a group of us who do it for shits and giggles.
Yeah, instead we want the entire game to die due to lack of content.

amtalx
Sep 17, 2011, 12:59 PM
Then I'd wish to know what those are.

To be honest, we don't have one. There are a thousand different ways to deploy content, and only Sega knows if their servers are built to support inserting one set of content to all regions. Even if their servers do support that, localization would be a little bit harder.

The dark side of localization that most people don't see is on the development side. A server running JP Windows is not the same as US Windows. The character sets are different and not every library path has a symbolic link. Even if Sega were to take JP content without translating anything, parts of the package would still need to be recompiled.

For the record, my previous post was about having a single server for players and content.

Tycho
Sep 17, 2011, 06:37 PM
A server running JP Windows is not the same as US Windows. The character sets are different and not every library path has a symbolic link. Even if Sega were to take JP content without translating anything, parts of the package would still need to be recompiled.
Huh.
- Vista and up have unicode by default.
- OS language doesn't do anything, system locale does.
- System locale only sets the character set for non-unicode programs, which shouldn't even be relevant if it does use unicode.
- Going by mining info so far (alpha profanity list thread), the game does use unicode.

And even if the executables are different, that shouldn't matter for the files containing the content, as those aren't executables. Heck, if files contain multiple languages (-> language settings), all versions of the game could just use the same update files.

Hrith
Sep 18, 2011, 12:41 PM
For the record, my previous post was about having a single server for players and content.I figured. But that is not what we had on the Dreamcast and Gamecube versions of PSO. Both those versions had servers in Tokyo, San Francisco and fucking London, and the three servers were linked so that, as Tycho mentioned, the most delay we had between content updates was a few hours due to timezones. That's what I want, and that is what we are hoping to get with this message to Ms. Bonkohara.