PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else scream and cry in joy at the new trailer?

sugarFO
Sep 16, 2011, 08:30 PM
I don't want to get in trouble but I truly had an audio and visual "O" watching it. Then I cried in so much happiness and excitement.

Okay I didn't cry but I am so impressed at the introduction where he falls into the digital warp pool or whatever then the PSO style beat starts up I got chills.

I can't be the only one!! :-o

I don't know how to post videos on this forum but if someone can tell me how I'll post the trailer!

MinscTFA
Sep 16, 2011, 08:55 PM
To answer the topic title, no.

You mean this trailer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YngCHmG0wJk

Just post the link and it auto-embeds. (if it's from YouTube)

Anon_Fire
Sep 16, 2011, 08:55 PM
You weren't the only one :)

Me and a few friends were blown away watching that trailer.

sugarFO
Sep 16, 2011, 09:07 PM
You weren't the only one :)

Me and a few friends were blown away watching that trailer.

yeah i just can't believe how far it's progressed... before we know it we'll have our sexy customized characters and playing and chatting on there! :D :D :D

Rei-San
Sep 16, 2011, 09:16 PM
yeah i just can't believe how far it's progressed... before we know it we'll have our sexy customized characters and playing and chatting on there! :D :D :D

I believe it. The game is only coming out by the end of this year.

And boobs for the win.

MistyWaters
Sep 16, 2011, 10:39 PM
Y-No.

I personally found it to be a bit too cheesy for my tastes.

Everything else after that slow-walk-stupid-jump was fine, though.

Was nice to see just about every character in game.

FOkyasuta
Sep 16, 2011, 10:40 PM
Y-No.

I personally found it to be a bit too cheesy for my tastes.

Everything else after that slow-walk-stupid-jump was fine, though.

Was nice to see just about every character in game.

YU Steal my words?! Yeah but shes right. Its a good game that just wont be played by me at all. Too much Neo is a NO Go.

Sw353
Sep 17, 2011, 01:01 AM
To be honest, no. as said before, everything after the pool was cool. if this were the commercial, i don't know that it would get the message across to the average gamer.

I did find the city interesting. The combat with the giant enemies (though i don't think a giant spider thing would allow you to climb on its back without rolling over, but thats besides the point) I think if they show off the characters more they will be fine.

Kamen Rider Sting
Sep 17, 2011, 04:23 AM
Well I didn't scream or cry, probably not because I'm a bloke but more to the point of not seeing anything new compared to all of the footage I've seen so far, including that footage in this topic. Still, an open beta might make me goes nuts.

Cayenne
Sep 17, 2011, 05:12 AM
Did this really need a thread?

darkante
Sep 17, 2011, 05:33 AM
I can´t say i screamed, but i were amased by the trailer.
Huge battles in the city looks cool.

Angelo
Sep 17, 2011, 05:42 AM
I didn't scream and cry, but it was hard to keep my grin down.

I was very impressed by it.

Some CG, a new zone, a new weapon type, and some cool music?

No downside in my eyes.

Valkyrie Lovrina
Sep 17, 2011, 09:49 AM
The trailer got me even more excited honestly. FOnewearl and FOcaseal. :-D

Grimhart
Sep 17, 2011, 10:01 AM
Echoing the whole "didn't cry, but liked it" thing. I do like the look of it, so thanks for bringing it to attention!

I might be able to use this to convince my brother that there's still hope for PSO2. He's been REALLY skeptical about it. (Well, me too, but not as much.)

RemiusTA
Sep 17, 2011, 11:53 AM
Screw you guys. That oreo flip into the teleporter was epic.

Zyrusticae
Sep 17, 2011, 12:52 PM
This.

Maybe it WAS a little cheesy, but sometimes you need a little cheese for texture or flavor. ;-)

Angelo
Sep 17, 2011, 12:58 PM
PSO is all about cheese.

Love it.

Kion
Sep 17, 2011, 03:13 PM
Did anyone else think the music sucked? I mean it's okay for a generic bgm, but a trailer? No. MGS3: snake eater, Zone of the Enders 2, or Resident Evil: Revelations, THOSE are trailers.

kyuuketsuki
Sep 17, 2011, 03:17 PM
Totally agree. The only thing is it makes me disappointed you can't do cool flips into the teleporter goo in the actual game.

Did anyone else think the music sucked? I mean it's okay for a generic bgm, but a trailer? No.
My feelings on the music are pretty well summed up what Angelo said in a different thread:
[...] the PSO games have never had 'strong melody' as a focus or signature of their music [...] The series has always used a cross of synth and organic instruments playing dissonant (sometimes 'cold') progressions that are incredibly unorthodox outside of a select few genres of music (ones you wouldn't think of, like Gospel music, or Bossa Nova).
If you don't like PSO's music, that's cool, but the music is obviously trying to stay in the same vein as the original PSO's, and in that respect it's actually quite good. And since I loved PSO's music, I'm liking the new music as well.

Plus, it's not some law that trailers have to use super-epic orchestrated music.

NoiseHERO
Sep 17, 2011, 03:20 PM
I was mostly interested in the confirmation of the new weapon, whatever it was, hunewms outfit not looking HORRIBLE, and that city mission looks exactly how I thought it would...(a little sunny though)

Okay that's a huge lie I expected something bigger deeper and darker for a city overrun with monsters, but hey it's SEGA.

Angelo
Sep 17, 2011, 04:04 PM
I was mostly interested in the confirmation of the new weapon, whatever it was, hunewms outfit not looking HORRIBLE, and that city mission looks exactly how I thought it would...(a little sunny though)

Okay that's a huge lie I expected something bigger deeper and darker for a city overrun with monsters, but hey it's SEGA.

HUnewm outfit was revealed?? I mean I know we've seen the concept art, but I wasn't aware there was a render of it in any of the material shown so far.

...huh, must've missed that.

As for the new weapon; if Axe doesn't make it in this time, I'm going to go with that quarter staff (assuming that's what it is).

NoiseHERO
Sep 17, 2011, 04:13 PM
It was like...4 seconds in that one trailer...

looked like a girl wearing all white.

RemiusTA
Sep 17, 2011, 10:06 PM
I dont see why people keep saying Hunewm looks like a female.

Did anyone else think the music sucked? I mean it's okay for a generic bgm, but a trailer? No. MGS3: snake eater, Zone of the Enders 2, or Resident Evil: Revelations, THOSE are trailers.
MGS3 = Hideo Kojima; Zone of the Enders = Hideo Kojima; Resident Evil Anything = one of Capcom's most successful IPs.

Moot point, really. Sonic Team / Sega USED to be near those guys, but now they couldn't touch them if they tried.

I personally never said i didn't like the music. I just said the music didn't blow me away. I wouldn't go anywhere near saying it was "bad", though.

NoiseHERO
Sep 17, 2011, 10:19 PM
I dont see why people keep saying Hunewm looks like a female.

His concept art he's obviously a guy...

But in that trailer all I saw was an extremely blurry low quality, androgynous-slim humanoid twirling around for 3 seconds with long blonde hair.

Most people are gonna think it's a chick, ESPECIALLY if you're not paying attention because you only watched the trailer a couple times. That's what I meant. o_o

•Col•
Sep 17, 2011, 10:54 PM
His concept art he's obviously a guy...

But in that trailer all I saw was an extremely blurry low quality, androgynous-slim humanoid twirling around for 3 seconds with long blonde hair.

Most people are gonna think it's a chick, ESPECIALLY if you're not paying attention because you only watched the trailer a couple times. That's what I meant. o_o

Same here.

Also, another BIG reason I thought it was a female was because I thought the entire mid-portion of his armor was actually bare skin due to the color.

RemiusTA
Sep 17, 2011, 11:32 PM
Oh well my issue is that i simply wasn't paying attention enough to him. When i saw him i knew it was the Hunewm because it couldnt have been anyone else. But actually looking at him, yeah he looks like a chick.

•Col•
Sep 17, 2011, 11:45 PM
I was also partially thrown off because right before it, they show the HUmarl, and I was still wondering to myself "Oh, was the the HUmarl? And what was that weapon she was spinning?" lol

Angelo
Sep 17, 2011, 11:48 PM
So we've now seen every Race/Combo art aside from RAnewm and RAnewearl, correct?

RemiusTA
Sep 17, 2011, 11:57 PM
Yeah.

•Col•
Sep 18, 2011, 12:29 AM
Why are people still under that impression... We saw the RAnewm/newearl in the first gameplay video/pictures....

Angelo
Sep 18, 2011, 12:32 AM
Why are people still under that impression... We saw the RAnewm/newearl in the first gameplay video/pictures....

I know we've seen them. Their theme with the goggles and all, but I don't think we've seen the official art yet though.

•Col•
Sep 18, 2011, 12:34 AM
I know we've seen them. Their theme with the goggles and all, but I don't think we've seen the official art yet though.

Ah, didn't see the "art" in your post. Must been tired....

NoiseHERO
Sep 18, 2011, 12:34 AM
it's weird that those outfits just up and disappeared from the alpha.

and even saying it's different... ranewearl still just looked like hunewearl to me...

and then what was humarls outfit?

Who was that chick with the partisan thingie?? @_@

Angelo
Sep 18, 2011, 12:36 AM
it's weird that those outfits just up and disappeared from the alpha.

and even saying it's different... ranewearl still just looked like hunewearl to me...

and then what was humarls outfit?

Who was that chick with the partisan thingie?? @_@

Oh, I suppose we haven't seen HUmarl concept art either, huh?

Aeran
Sep 18, 2011, 04:14 AM
I'm gonna go ahead and bet on the entire fleet you see at the end of the trailer being shot to bits and pieces, and *gasp* only one ship survives, the Oracle.

At least as far as I followed the news, it was supposed to be 1 ship called the Oracle that holds the Arkz, not an entire fleet.

Guess@Intro: Zomg a huge dark entity destroys the entire fleet, only 1 ship survives. Stay in this solar system (with possibility of expansion/travel beyond that as updates come,) and destroy/defeat the entity so we can all rest in peace and rebuild our civilization (or something amongst those lines. :p)

/spoiler: Just a guess anyway

Did this really need a thread?

Wait until people catch on to the latest edit on Bumped.

Apparently PSO2 is only 50% complete.

More threads will be made...

Cayenne
Sep 18, 2011, 04:16 AM
You have quite an imagination.

Aeran
Sep 18, 2011, 04:18 AM
You have quite an imagination.

Y-yeah..I've been told that more often. I should definitely dial it down a notch.

Cayenne
Sep 18, 2011, 06:43 AM
:lol:

NoiseHERO
Sep 18, 2011, 07:12 AM
He's probably right but...

It could also be possible that, that super giant whatever-it-was thing behind that fleet, is where that post-apocalyptic city is as well.

Was wondering how they would cover that setting, with the whole planet/stage select thing. Seeing as how everything with the planets would probably be a new territory or final frontier to the story, so we couldn't just have some giant city out of nowhere...

Geistritter
Sep 18, 2011, 10:10 AM
Did anyone else scream and cry in joy at the new trailer?

No. I did not.

I feel this game needs a lot of work before it's going to be able to compete with even okay games in the genre. It's made some necessary steps in its progression, but those were steps it should have made... half a decade or so ago. This series has been several steps behind its peers ever since PSU.

Granted, it's still in its Alpha phase. It has time to polish itself. Besides, as I said to my confidant from the beginning, it's gonna suck, and I'm gonna play it anyway, as I always do. I played PC PSU on its death bed, afterall.

It'd sure be nice if it turned out to be awesome, though.

Kion
Sep 18, 2011, 12:06 PM
MGS3 = Hideo Kojima; Zone of the Enders = Hideo Kojima; Resident Evil Anything = one of Capcom's most successful IPs.

Yep. Kojima is sick at making trailers.

I personally never said i didn't like the music. I just said the music didn't blow me away. I wouldn't go anywhere near saying it was "bad", though.

I didn't say the music was "bad" either. It's mostly generic. Pretty decent as far as a bgm goes while playing a game. But does it extend to the effect of adding to the trailer? Not quite.

The trailer started off really well. I thought the oreo flip cheese of the HUmar jumping into the pool had a really cool .Hack feel to it; "welcome to the the world. The problem is it didn't pick up from there. It was just a bunch of hastily thrown together game-play screen shots of stuff we've seen before.

It didn't seem like what a trailer is for, to draw interest from people who play it. Resident Evil Revelations is cliche, but it really leaves you with a "what's going to happen? I want to play and find out!" feeling. This seemed mostly geared towards people who are already fans of Phantasy Star; "hey guys check out the cool weapons we added!". There's not anything as far as story hints, or anything emotional to really draw people in. Seems like a trailer for a gundam arcade game.

Alnet
Sep 18, 2011, 03:23 PM
I thought it was alright. I didn't cream my jeans or anything, but I was okay with it. The enemy movements seemed kinda... off, though. Like in that scenes where you just see the bug-type enemies rampaging everywhere and over cars and such, they look really stiff and choppy. Maybe it was due to the stream, I don't know.

I didn't say the music was "bad" either. It's mostly generic. Pretty decent as far as a bgm goes while playing a game. But does it extend to the effect of adding to the trailer? Not quite.
Yeah, I thought the music wasn't as good as it could've been either. Especially considering there weren't any sfx during the meat of the trailer, you'd expect the music to be overwhelming. It was passable.

I get the feeling that this trailer was made mostly for people who hadn't heard of PSO2 before, but had an interest in the previous games. Nothing especially new or exciting was shown, aside from that gigantic boss monster and a new environment. We already had seen all of those character archetypes, all of those weapon types, and the regular enemies before. As a matter of fact, this trailer showed less than the previous trailers and Sakai's media announcement. They could've just replayed one of the older trailers ("RANDAMU FIIRUDO!" "MARUCHI PAATI EARIA!" "ORIJINARU KONBO!") and gotten more interest.

There's not anything as far as story hints, or anything emotional to really draw people in. Seems like a trailer for a gundam arcade game.
Hey. The long trailer for the Kidou Senshi Gundam Extreme Vs. home port at TGS was orgasmic, says I. :wacko:

Angelo
Sep 18, 2011, 04:03 PM
Does anyone remember the first PSO trailer? The one with the 2001: Space Odyssey stock music?

Yeah, it was significantly less 'epic' than this PSO2 trailer. I think we're all expecting a little too much for a game that's as 'in the oven' as it currently is.

RemiusTA
Sep 18, 2011, 05:44 PM
I watched the trailer again today. It wasn't that bad. I just was never really listening.

The music isn't generic or bad, it just isn't themesong quality, which i dont think anyone is expecting for a random trailer.

Im not going to get overly critical about the music. The very first preview trailer had a very good track to it. Come to find out, half of it was the Forest Battle music. Chill out already, people. I really don't know what you people are looking for at this point.

Angelo
Sep 18, 2011, 06:12 PM
I watched the trailer again today. It wasn't that bad. I just was never really listening.

The music isn't generic or bad, it just isn't themesong quality, which i dont think anyone is expecting for a random trailer.

Im not going to get overly critical about the music. The very first preview trailer had a very good track to it. Come to find out, half of it was the Forest Battle music. Chill out already, people. I really don't know what you people are looking for at this point.

I highly doubt it's the theme song. It sounds like it would be something like the battle-music for the city area (or so I'm assuming).

I'm crossing my fingers for another cheesy vocal song. I love stuff like that.

RemiusTA
Sep 18, 2011, 07:59 PM
The music in the first trailer sounded like the climax of the battle music for the Forest, but it faded into another track. Which almost sounded like it faded into another

Regardless...the music in this game sounds like it's being designed to make everything somewhat seamless. I really don't know how it's going to be.

Regardless, i appreciate the idea, because it's unique. PSO had music transitions, this game seems to have the music dynamically changed based on a number of factors, all staying seamless. I respect that idea, because it's unique.

Enforcer MKV
Sep 18, 2011, 09:03 PM
The music in the first trailer sounded like the climax of the battle music for the Forest, but it faded into another track. Which almost sounded like it faded into another

Regardless...the music in this game sounds like it's being designed to make everything somewhat seamless. I really don't know how it's going to be.

Regardless, i appreciate the idea, because it's unique. PSO had music transitions, this game seems to have the music dynamically changed based on a number of factors, all staying seamless. I respect that idea, because it's unique.

I noticed that too. Like the ebb and flow of a river. Should add some nice touches to the feel of the fight, if it turns out solid.

AfroGuy!
Sep 18, 2011, 10:42 PM
the trailer was good. everyone noticed the new costume right after the HUmar slow-walk part right? what default do you think its for? im puttin a guess on the default for HUmarl but im still not so sure cause it might be an extra or something.

chaos-shadow
Sep 19, 2011, 02:10 PM
Hey man, I'm all about nice looking CG and stuff. I thought it was great! But once it was after the pool, it was really hard for me to get a glimpse at anybody else. ^_^;; Loving the city, but I agree, it's not even as decrepit looking as the one on PSU - but perhaps it's just a city in the midst of battle, so it's still not completely ruined.

•Col•
Sep 19, 2011, 02:19 PM
the trailer was good. everyone noticed the new costume right after the HUmar slow-walk part right? what default do you think its for? im puttin a guess on the default for HUmarl but im still not so sure cause it might be an extra or something.

HUmarl. It was the same one in the character creation video they showed at TGS.

Chompey
Sep 19, 2011, 10:37 PM
I read through this thread, and I have to say that the music MADE the trailer, in my opinion.

I've never, ever played a PS game before in my life, so I'm new to the universe and all but, I've never really heard music like what was played in that trailer. A mix of bass, background guitar and strings? It sounded like futuristic upbeat orchestral or something, and I LOVED it.

Someone said that it's pretty similar to other PS games music. Is this true? If it is, I'd really love to buy the soundtrack for one of these games (if possible) if its as epic as the trailer one.

Zorafim
Sep 19, 2011, 11:02 PM
As far as I can tell, the game that had the most similar style was PSO. I don't think anything before it was quite the same, but you might want to youtube the soundtracks to see if they're to your liking. Actually,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek3_AEaA-PA. This is the soundtrack to a remade Phantasy Star (original). You can find the second part of it easily, and you can find a similar soundtrack to the second game just as easily. For everything else (Phantasy Star 3 and 4), you should be able to youtube some soundtracks easily enough. Same for PSO. PSU might be a bit more difficult, but you should be able to find some soundtracks through the power of Google. There are quite a few epic pieces in PSU if you're willing to dig.

But again, PSO is probably what you want to look for.

tehhaxorer
Sep 21, 2011, 03:36 AM
That trailer blew me away!!

Here is to hoping that I can backflip into the funky pool in the actual game...

sugarFO
Sep 21, 2011, 06:47 AM
As far as I can tell, the game that had the most similar style was PSO. I don't think anything before it was quite the same, but you might want to youtube the soundtracks to see if they're to your liking. Actually, here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek3_AEaA-PA). This is the soundtrack to a remade Phantasy Star (original). You can find the second part of it easily, and you can find a similar soundtrack to the second game just as easily. For everything else (Phantasy Star 3 and 4), you should be able to youtube some soundtracks easily enough. Same for PSO. PSU might be a bit more difficult, but you should be able to find some soundtracks through the power of Google. There are quite a few epic pieces in PSU if you're willing to dig.

But again, PSO is probably what you want to look for.

what pieces from PSU would you recommend that have that sort of futuristic adrenaline feel PSO music has?

yoshiblue
Sep 21, 2011, 07:03 AM
I only like the orchestrated parts. Especially the title screen, prologue and victory theme. I really hated the Moatoob caves though.

As for pso like music that will get you pumped up? No clue.

Miyoko
Sep 21, 2011, 07:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K-GmmMh0-A

This song needs to be mentioned, simply because it's awesome and doesn't get nearly enough credit. srsly it took me forever to find it on youtube :(

yoshiblue
Sep 21, 2011, 07:23 AM
You mean when you don't know the name and embark on a pain staking quest to find what you seek?

Miyoko
Sep 21, 2011, 07:33 AM
That, too!

Zorafim
Sep 21, 2011, 11:05 AM
what pieces from PSU would you recommend that have that sort of futuristic adrenaline feel PSO music has?

Oh, freaking... I don't know. I really didn't listen to the soundtrack all that much. PSU had a problem with its songs. There were a ton of great ones which were barely ever used, and a ton of lame ones which were used all the time. You're just going to have to go through the soundtrack one by one. You can do what i do and download the soundtrack and listen to it for a few days while doing other things, and pluck away the songs you don't like.

That being said, PSU's music style is very different than PSO's. The good songs were more of an orchestrated, refined feel to them, to compliment the utopian society the game takes place in. Very different than the high stress PSO songs.

Alnet
Sep 21, 2011, 02:24 PM
Oh, freaking... I don't know. I really didn't listen to the soundtrack all that much. PSU had a problem with its songs. There were a ton of great ones which were barely ever used, and a ton of lame ones which were used all the time. You're just going to have to go through the soundtrack one by one. You can do what i do and download the soundtrack and listen to it for a few days while doing other things, and pluck away the songs you don't like.

That being said, PSU's music style is very different than PSO's. The good songs were more of an orchestrated, refined feel to them, to compliment the utopian society the game takes place in. Very different than the high stress PSO songs.
PSU's songs definitely sound very different, even though they're composed by the same people who did PSO's (for the most part). It kinda irks me when people complain about PSU's music and praise PSO's, because they tend to make it sound like they just picked up people off the street to do it, which certainly wasn't the case. The kind of atmosphere that they were trying to create was just so different from PSO's that it sounds totally alien. That, and even though I do adore some specific tracks from PSU's OST, generally, I feel like the music just wasn't up to their usual standard, like it was rushed. I feel like even though they were trying to evoke a different feeling than they did in PSO, they still could have done better.

RemiusTA
Sep 21, 2011, 03:12 PM
PSU's songs definitely sound very different, even though they're composed by the same people who did PSO's (for the most part). It kinda irks me when people complain about PSU's music and praise PSO's, because they tend to make it sound like they just picked up people off the street to do it, which certainly wasn't the case.

I've been aware the music was created by the same people since day one. It never changed the fact that i really didn't care for barely any of the music in that game, aside from a few lobby themes (which sounded very PSO-ish in design)

The kind of atmosphere that they were trying to create was just so different from PSO's that it sounds totally alien. That, and even though I do adore some specific tracks from PSU's OST, generally, I feel like the music just wasn't up to their usual standard, like it was rushed. I feel like even though they were trying to evoke a different feeling than they did in PSO, they still could have done better.I always figured that the reason the music wasn't very good is because the composers were out of their element. Perhaps they were forced to make music fit a certian mood?

There's another wonderful example I can use for this. Ever heard of Sonic 4? That game was panned for it's soundtrack when compared to the previous work of the composer, Jun Senoue, who did all the music for the Sonic Adventure games, as well as Sonic Heroes (which had an amazing OST). I don't think he just magically got bad at making music. I think he just was doing something he wasn't good at. The game had this terrible synth feel to the OST, which is something Jun had never done, even on the Genesis titles. In trying to be "Retro" he was no longer doing things the way he was used to. At least, thats my theory.

To be completely honest.....The soundtrack i was most fond of (EpII, EpIII) was never credited as the 3 who did PSO EPI and PSO. It was credited as "Sonic Team" on every OST i've downloaded.

My favorite composer from the PSO team was probably Fumie Kumatari. Every song she helped with on PSO was one of my favorites. Most of the ones she didnt, i really didn't care for. It was an interesting fact to notice. She also was part of most of my favorite tracks from the Sonic titles -- she's probably one of the better composers of Sonic Team TBH.

Geistritter
Sep 25, 2011, 07:29 AM
Sonic 4's soundtrack wasn't that bad. I'd say it's better than 2's, and certainly better than Adventure 2's.

Oh, boo and hiss all you want.

Cayenne
Sep 25, 2011, 07:31 AM
Boo, hiss...

I don't know...:???:

chaos-shadow
Sep 26, 2011, 10:24 AM
I loved Adventure 2's soundtrack! I love the variety in that each character had a certain type of music like Knuckles had rap and Sonic had rock.

vid
Sep 26, 2011, 10:48 AM
I loved Adventure 2's soundtrack! I love the variety in that each character had a certain type of music like Knuckles had rap and Sonic had rock.

Yeah! And Shadow had someone mumbling into a microphone while electronic sounds played over him!

...I loved the SA2 soundtrack.

The TGS trailer reminds me a lot of the trailer for PSO that was available on the demo disc for one of the issues of the Official Dreamcast Magazine... it was mostly random gameplay shots with De Rol Le's music playing over it. I could easily see the music from this trailer being used for a boss fight somewhere in the game, and it definitely SOUNDS very PSO.

While the music is cool and all, it's mainly the view of the ship fleet that got me. "Oh, look a ship!" *next shot* "Oh, neat, it kind of looks like one of the Pioneer ships." *next shot* "OH MY GOD IT'S AN ENTIRE FLEET, WHAT IS THAT IN THE BACK, IS THAT UNICRON, IS HE COMING TO EAT THE PLANET?!"

More than anything, I want those ships to turn out to be the rest of the Pioneer fleet. It seems unlikely, but some direct ties and resolve to the PSO story would make me even more likely to play this game forever.

NoiseHERO
Sep 26, 2011, 10:58 AM
Yeah! And Shadow had someone mumbling into a microphone while electronic sounds played over him!

...I loved the SA2 soundtrack.

The TGS trailer reminds me a lot of the trailer for PSO that was available on the demo disc for one of the issues of the Official Dreamcast Magazine... it was mostly random gameplay shots with De Rol Le's music playing over it. I could easily see the music from this trailer being used for a boss fight somewhere in the game, and it definitely SOUNDS very PSO.

While the music is cool and all, it's mainly the view of the ship fleet that got me. "Oh, look a ship!" *next shot* "Oh, neat, it kind of looks like one of the Pioneer ships." *next shot* "OH MY GOD IT'S AN ENTIRE FLEET, WHAT IS THAT IN THE BACK, IS THAT UNICRON, IS HE COMING TO EAT THE PLANET?!"

More than anything, I want those ships to turn out to be the rest of the Pioneer fleet. It seems unlikely, but some direct ties and resolve to the PSO story would make me even more likely to play this game forever.

I think shadow's music would be industrial (It's like electronic music for metal heads or emo kids or something that's as much as I know about it outside the sound.)

RemiusTA
Sep 26, 2011, 11:02 AM
The ships didn't impress me that much. Probably because everything was so ridiculously huge.

It was just SSUUCHHHH a huge fleet that the "this is mildly fantasy-realistic" feeling just kind of disappeared.

Zyrusticae
Sep 26, 2011, 11:08 AM
Haha! Never play EVE, then. Every single pilot is flying huge ships carrying hundreds or thousands or even hundreds of thousands (in the case of Titans) of people, and there's over 300,000 of 'em.

I'd say it's pretty realistic for an advanced spacefaring race to have the equivalent of planetary populations in space considering they can mine resources from planets they don't give a damn about.

Zorafim
Sep 26, 2011, 11:25 AM

t'is likely. Darkfalz was just killed in PSO, right? Could be that we're finishing the job 1000 years later, and Darky is waking up from his nap. That doesn't tie in with the genesis story line, but all that we know from the PSO story line is that he can't be killed completely. It's possible he doesn't have the same limitations as genesis' darky.

That doesn't account for all the extra planets, or why it takes so long to colonize a single planet, though.

D Zonatai
Sep 26, 2011, 01:30 PM
...Newbie coming in...I really liked the trailer...I just recently got into Phantasy Star (got myself Phantasy Star Zero, and I'm addicted), and I'm definitely going to get myself this game once I get a better computer... Haha...didn't scream or cry though, because as stated, I just recently discovered phantasy star, but really into it for sure! :3

Zorafim
Sep 26, 2011, 01:34 PM
I am contractually obligated to request that you play the sega genesis RPG "Phantasy Star 4", as this game will fill you in on the general style and story elements present in most future PS games.
It also contains this (http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/Zorafin/SNES%20junk/P-STAR4010.jpg) gem.

yoshiblue
Sep 26, 2011, 07:41 PM
Got to say, woman lack a sense of danger. Theres a reason why spartans perfer land over air.

@Remius: Unless it was a scouting party, I would imagine such a fleet would come. Although it is a bit much. Were they expecting something? For all we know, We could be playing pso's Arks years later fighting with maybe the hunters.

vid
Sep 26, 2011, 07:59 PM
Having never played Episode III (Or IV, for that matter...) I'm a little lost with all of the references to the Arkz. Can anyone provide a synopsis for what that's all about? I've been trying to find a decent PSO plot summary online, but no one seems to record much outside of the obvious Red Ring Rico stuff.

yoshiblue
Sep 26, 2011, 08:42 PM
Hmm...
Home was at war. It was said that they went to seek a new home. Maybe even pulled a vault-tec. Its said they really went to get get something. D-cells I think. The first group gave good results and they launched a second ship. To keep everyone happy they made lies and worked under everyone's nose. Such as morphing creatures and humans. Augmenting their robots. Its said when Falz took rico he learned about a second ship and layed a welcoming mat. People went missing. Crews lost. Hunters are sent to find data and VIPs. People went to uncover truth and you with them. I haven't play in a long time so epII is a blur. Other then Flowen having his own reports. Had a connection with Rico. Reporter girl became a scientist to learn more. More data hunting and stopping evil once more.

RemiusTA
Sep 27, 2011, 12:50 AM
IIRC It was confirmed a long time ago that the Arkz had no connection with the PSO epIII arkz. And even if they did, they'd be indistinguishable from the "Hunters" at this point, because the whole conflict that defined them ended after Ep.III was over.

Unless they're still using some kind of CARD Technology / the Germ. Which I highly doubt, since im sure most of that was just a very well defined plot device for the game being a card game.

Kion
Sep 27, 2011, 03:10 AM
Is there somewhere where the plots of the phantasy star games are summed up online? I've been around for PSO, PSU, PSi, PSZ, PSi2 but the dialog was so boring i skipped over them.

yoshiblue
Sep 27, 2011, 04:01 AM
Well I can't always be right. Carry on then.