PDA

View Full Version : Based on those graphs of popular characters...

sugarFO
Sep 23, 2011, 01:40 PM
I feel like making a human female will make me a dime a dozen. Even if I dress her up unique like. Yes, I have the "I wanna be a special snowflake" syndrome when it comes to multiplayer games. xD

http://www.pso-world.com/files/racegender.jpg

Do you think the populations will change if the game is globalized? Or do you think this trend will remain? I have a feeling it will lol. Maybe CAST choice will rise if they get more customization but it will be kind of funny to play this game if most people are playing girl characters.

By the way, do you assume girl characters are guys most of the time? I always have trouble with that, I usually assume they are a girl despite having my guesses always wrong. Maybe people who see me playing a girl think I am a guy too haha.

Macras
Sep 23, 2011, 01:45 PM
but it will be kind of funny to play this game if most people are playing girl characters.

its due to a plague wipiing out alot of the male population obviously....

Canard de Bain
Sep 23, 2011, 01:46 PM
Obviously

redroses
Sep 23, 2011, 01:55 PM
With only three races to choose from, of course it is more likely to run into other characters that have the same race and gender combination.
But that is not what makes your character unique. It's also what class you give them, or personality, playstyle etc.

And I always first think every girl character in game is a guy, I think I met ...one girl character that was actually a girl once. It's pretty weird for me when guys only play female characters, especially when they excuse it with "I rather look at a females ass while playing", because that just sounds very sad and desperate.
(I don't mind guys having one female char and some male chars, but when it's only females it just is weird somehow).

Krumbles
Sep 23, 2011, 01:57 PM
I feel like making a human female will make me a dime a dozen. Even if I dress her up unique like. Yes, I have the "I wanna be a special snowflake" syndrome when it comes to multiplayer games. xD

Well clearly you'll need to make a Fonewm if you wanna be your special little snowflake ;) ;)

But i think it will change over time, we seem to have just a few more males playing males over here, and the current lack of customization for casts may make them unappealing at the moment.

Geistritter
Sep 23, 2011, 02:27 PM
Of course there will be a change if the game goes global; Japanese males are more inclined to use female characters, generally. Seems to be an Asian thing in general, really. For my part, I'd be contributing to the female overpopulation, but adding to the Cast ranks when it comes to my primary character. Couldn't care less what other people are using, really.

As for the gender of the player, it doesn't make any difference what it is, so I don't think on it at all, referring to them in gender-neutral manners if needed. Chances are I'm not even going to see the player a second time, besides, making it even less of an issue. I likewise don't feel the need to specify what my own gender is and leave people to reach whatever conclusion they like.

NoiseHERO
Sep 23, 2011, 02:34 PM
I'm sure US and EU players will make their bulky pseudo westernized manly guys and fail at it like they did in PSU. Or more people that like making awkward shaped midgets.

Actually I should try to make a badass comic book style character too...

Geistritter
Sep 23, 2011, 02:36 PM
Anyone who's worth anything will make a RAcast with maximum height and bulk.

Bonus points if they bring back the beak or blowdryer heads for them to use.

NoiseHERO
Sep 23, 2011, 02:42 PM
That's another thing, these guys can make like a gazillion loli characters, but the only thing close to a joke character I've seen were those screenshots of the randomly generated faces that looked creepy.

Even with their small time frames, there has to have been one guy that just said "Fuck it I'ma make a monster and give him a fucked up name!"

Otherwise... Common Japanese people's sense of humor must be "meh..."

HeartBreak301
Sep 23, 2011, 02:45 PM
I really wish they'd make it so you're unable to make characters that look like they're 12. Is it too much to ask for the world to be saved by people that actually look like they could save it? That's part of the reason why I only played casts on PSU, because I didn't want to look like some loser who just stumbled out of Hot Topic.

Also yes, I am a loli hater.

Geistritter
Sep 23, 2011, 02:49 PM
Any enemy of lolis is a friend of mine, HeartBreak301. You walk the enlightened path.

But yeah, it is kind of sad how the more options we're given to dolly up our characters, the more people go out of their way to fit a standard. This sometimes makes seeing an outrageously awesome character more worthwhile, though. I personally go out of my way to have at least one outlandish character, even if it's not one I play much. My PSO one was for Challenge Mode, and my PSU one was a mule, but eh.

HeartBreak301
Sep 23, 2011, 02:55 PM
If I'm going to make an odd looking character, it's going to be a disco star with a pimpin afro or something. At least in PSO2 it looks like we're getting back to static class clothing/looks a bit. Less frill, more armor plating. Except for RAcaseals, which look like they have frilly armor. Bleh.

amtalx
Sep 23, 2011, 03:18 PM
I plan on making a male Cast ranger anyway. Garish dresses and bodies that expire are for suckers.

Macman
Sep 23, 2011, 04:14 PM
Nobody in Japan didn't pick a CAST or a male because you can't gainax with them.
You notice in every video of character creation, a lot more time is spent messing with the breast sliders/physics than anything else.

Mag-X
Sep 23, 2011, 05:31 PM
Also yes, I am a loli hater.

All my characters are a loli or loli-bot. Haaaaate meeee~ :D

Miyoko
Sep 23, 2011, 06:01 PM
So, fun little story...

Back when I played City of Heroes, I would always see really stupid characters along the lines of Stripperella, and it would always infuriate me. You know, characters with the bare minimum clothing, with really stupid backstories that pertained to being a stripper, prostitute, etc. etc. who somehow gained super powers and blahblahblah. Y'get it. It's stupid.

I got so frustrated with it, with guys making stupid stripper female characters (I have ZERO issue with men playing females otherwise, mind you), that I decided I was going to turn the tables...

Thus, Angry Naked Guy was born. A female playing a gigantic, naked (and very angry) male character, with the stupidest backstory Icould think of. It involved hampsters, a burrito, a microwave, and his favourite arm chair, plus a magical cigar.

... He somehow ended up being famous and one of my most popular characters ever. ._.

NoiseHERO
Sep 23, 2011, 06:23 PM
So, fun little story...

Back when I played City of Heroes, I would always see really stupid characters along the lines of Stripperella, and it would always infuriate me. You know, characters with the bare minimum clothing, with really stupid backstories that pertained to being a stripper, prostitute, etc. etc. who somehow gained super powers and blahblahblah. Y'get it. It's stupid.

I got so frustrated with it, with guys making stupid stripper female characters (I have ZERO issue with men playing females otherwise, mind you), that I decided I was going to turn the tables...

Thus, Angry Naked Guy was born. A female playing a gigantic, naked (and very angry) male character, with the stupidest backstory Icould think of. It involved hampsters, a burrito, a microwave, and his favourite arm chair, plus a magical cigar.

... He somehow ended up being famous and one of my most popular characters ever. ._.

Stripperella was a cartoon show, made by stan lee. o_o

@ loli hater: yes les customization because you care bout how other people look gooooo! I'm telling you guys, you should be HAPPY that you can make your character look however you want, then consider everyone else stupid looking. Pointless irrational hatred isn't going to lower this games customization for you. :0

ShadowDragon28
Sep 23, 2011, 06:50 PM
I guess ill go against the trend and make a male cast hunter...

RemiusTA
Sep 23, 2011, 07:16 PM

I think everyone does. Unfortunately.

Do you think the populations will change if the game is globalized? Or do you think this trend will remain? I have a feeling it will lol. Maybe CAST choice will rise if they get more customization but it will be kind of funny to play this game if most people are playing girl characters.

NOPE

Why? Because PSO will always draw a specific crowd, and the majority of them will act like...well, how the Japanese act. Maybe not as extreme, but not a farcry. I recall alot of arguments about the quality of the outfits on this game in this very forum.

PSP2i put alot of emphasis on female characters. It seemed to be a selling point of the game for Moe and Lolita crap to basically be in every corner of the content pool (which is probably why it's not released for EU/US today.) I don't remember PSO ever having that feeling, though.

PSO2 seems to follow PSO's artstyle, but with a much more obvious "edgy" look that pretty much all Anime and Videogames are trying their hardest to bank off of these days. The Hunewearl outfit is somewhat ridiculous to be honest, and it seems they just COULD NOT bear seeing Ramarl with a full set of pants on. But i can live with them, because there's no reason to get pissy over some skin or ass cheeks.

By the way, do you assume girl characters are guys most of the time? I always have trouble with that, I usually assume they are a girl despite having my guesses always wrong. Maybe people who see me playing a girl think I am a guy too haha.

Yes, i do assume. I frequently come across female avatars who are actually females, though. It almost feels like im able to tell sometimes. The funny thing about it is, I rarely come across females who use guy avatars, but it's almost standard that guys will main females. Which is understandable -- i love females too.

But yeah, my initial view of all female characters is that they are indeed male, because i've constantly been mistaken for an actual female ingame. Well, more specifically, for some reason i always have people who feel the need to ask, and the only reason i could think for them to ask is that they assume i'm not a male.

moorebounce
Sep 23, 2011, 07:34 PM
With only three races to choose from, of course it is more likely to run into other characters that have the same race and gender combination.
But that is not what makes your character unique. It's also what class you give them, or personality, playstyle etc.

And I always first think every girl character in game is a guy, I think I met ...one girl character that was actually a girl once. It's pretty weird for me when guys only play female characters, especially when they excuse it with "I rather look at a females ass while playing", because that just sounds very sad and desperate.
(I don't mind guys having one female char and some male chars, but when it's only females it just is weird somehow).

Yeah most of my characters are males. Although I do usually have one female. I don't even know why people bother asking anymore because 99.9% it's gonna be a guy.

Ecchi
Sep 23, 2011, 07:41 PM
Death to all loli haters ;)

Seriously tho my main will be a male cast then I always make a fo loli, Just fits so well for that class!

HeartBreak301
Sep 23, 2011, 07:41 PM
It's still fun to screw with the really dumb ones from time to time though. The people who mistake me as female because of my FOnewearls I mean.

Zyrusticae
Sep 23, 2011, 08:01 PM
All my characters are a loli or loli-bot. Haaaaate meeee~ :D

Likewise.

Toss all the hate you want, folks! You need to release your anger anyways, it's healthy. ;-)

(Though I will note that my lolis tend to have unnatural levels of muscle mass/definition and do not behave in very childlike manners...)

Mega Ultra Chicken
Sep 23, 2011, 08:16 PM
(I don't mind guys having one female char and some male chars, but when it's only females it just is weird somehow). I had to once in PSO for gameplay reasons (because males and females had distinct stat differences.) But, if gender is not an issue, then I'm about 50/50 when it comes to genders. If you have so much variety with character customization, why limit the possibilities to your own gender?

I'll admit to making tiny characters on a regular basis, but I never do it with the intent of sexualizing them. I prefer making tiny badasses, because size is inversely proportional to lethality. Some of them may be adorable, but none are ever intended to be titillating. But nowadays since class changing is possible, I generally stick with just 1 or 2 little people and use the other slots for different kinds of figures.

Back to the topic at hand, I was thinking of making my male Human a male Newman for a similar reason. It feels like male Newms don't get much love, so I'd volunteer to give them some love. That, and I think they'd have higher EVP than male Humans.

Geistritter
Sep 23, 2011, 09:17 PM
Nobody in Japan didn't pick a CAST or a male because you can't gainax with them.

Wait, there are no Jell-O physics with female Casts this time?

Hell yes.

ShinMaruku
Sep 24, 2011, 12:21 AM
Wait, there are no Jell-O physics with female Casts this time?

Hell yes.

I doubt they can't. Females always gainax in ps

"En"
Sep 24, 2011, 01:31 AM
If I'm going to make an odd looking character, it's going to be a disco star with a pimpin afro or something.

Was that a...?

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p32/Lord_Edryl/psu20080516_173727_002.jpg

...Yes, I agree completely.

Dinosaur
Sep 24, 2011, 02:52 AM
I'm going newm and cast.

However, if there is a gender/race bonus that gets extra damage off uncharged techs, I'm playing that one. Melee + magic in a combo gets me hard.

Angelo
Sep 24, 2011, 04:26 AM

That sounds incredibly familiar...

Did you play on Guardian?

KodiaX987
Sep 24, 2011, 05:30 AM
Is it too much to ask for the world to be saved by people that actually look like they could save it?

Yes. :)

Miyoko
Sep 24, 2011, 07:50 AM
That sounds incredibly familiar...

Did you play on Guardian?

Champion. I might've made a character on Guardian at some point, but I don't think they went anywhere.

RemiusTA
Sep 24, 2011, 03:12 PM
Was that a...?

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p32/Lord_Edryl/psu20080516_173727_002.jpg

...Yes, I agree completely.

so epic

HeartBreak301
Sep 24, 2011, 03:50 PM
Sucks for anyone not playing a male cast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7PjQnw_E0U

Canard de Bain
Sep 24, 2011, 05:04 PM
RAnewm ftw. ;o

Guntecher if possible ;o

lostinseganet
Sep 27, 2011, 07:09 AM
its due to a plague wipiing out alot of the male population obviously....
Or a big war.