PDA

View Full Version : Will Spread weapons work in TPS view?

Fenn777
Sep 26, 2011, 05:47 PM
I know we haven't seen any spread-style guns yet (unless I missed them), but if they are included, how do you think they would work in TPS view? Will the spread be more condensed to an area around the reticle, or will secondary shots (the ones that fire at an angle to the player's direction) still lock onto enemies?

NoiseHERO
Sep 26, 2011, 06:24 PM
I dunno...

Let's ask other TPS games.

Fenn777
Sep 26, 2011, 07:16 PM
I dunno...

Let's ask other TPS games.

Other TPS games, how does your spread shot work?

Gears of War: Our shotgun shoots a burst of ballistics inside the reticle and blows people into F-ing chunks! RARGH!

Red Faction: Same, minus the chunks.

I don't play a lot of TPS games any other examples? The thing is the spreads in PSO weren't shotguns, the usual spread gun of TPS, they were more akin to the spread in the original Contra except horizontal.

yoshiblue
Sep 26, 2011, 07:39 PM
Wouldn't know for sure. Its PSO 2. Anywho Most of the time you would get a crosshair and was either used for aiming or used to show how much a gun will spread.

NoiseHERO
Sep 26, 2011, 07:41 PM
I have no clue, that's why I said lets ask.

But I'm assuming from what we already have, any new guns would play like other TPS games.

Geistritter
Sep 26, 2011, 08:09 PM
It's not like they can't work like previous games of this series just because the view isn't directly behind your character.

NoiseHERO
Sep 26, 2011, 08:22 PM
Looking at the evolution of the rifle, everything else will have to be able to compete with that level of all around broken'd-ness. I mean it has a mechgun and grenade launcher and a damn tranquilizer paralyzing thingie attached and everything.

Shotguns are going to have to be a lot more than just "SPEWT *5 spread bullets in a triangle shape*"

Geistritter
Sep 26, 2011, 08:37 PM
I'm not saying otherwise, but the tone of the topic seems to suggest a slight shift to the right magically renders the previous spread impossible.

Angelo
Sep 26, 2011, 09:05 PM
Kind've hope it's similar to using the shotguns in All Points Bulletin (great TPS game).

Absolutely terrible damage from far away, but you don't really have to aim as precisely.

Then if you're brave enough to get up close it's absolutely devastating.

Geistritter
Sep 26, 2011, 09:07 PM
Incidentally, that's already how PSU's shotguns worked.

Angelo
Sep 26, 2011, 09:12 PM
Incidentally, that's already how PSU's shotguns worked.

Yeah, but the spread from far away was still fan-shaped iirc. Seeing as how there are going to be more enemies and targets on the vertical plane I'm hoping shotguns fire more in an actual cone.

Macman
Sep 26, 2011, 09:37 PM
Maybe, just maybe the swiss-army-knife gun they have in the Alpha will get stripped down and split into a variety of guns in the final product.

Kent
Sep 27, 2011, 01:28 AM
I know we haven't seen any spread-style guns yet (unless I missed them), but if they are included, how do you think they would work in TPS view? Will the spread be more condensed to an area around the reticle, or will secondary shots (the ones that fire at an angle to the player's direction) still lock onto enemies?
If I'm not mistaken, you can actually go into the third-person shooter view with melee weapons. You don't get any additional control over the game, just a different viewpoint. I would imagine that there would be no actual change in functionality from how a weapon behaves otherwise.

I don't know if I'd really expect Shots to appear in their PSO form, though I'd imagine it could still be just as possible. If they're going to make the game behave more like a shooter when it comes to using guns, it seems more likely that the selection of guns would be more similar, as well. At the same time, I wouldn't really rule out them doing things a bit less mundane for your multitarget weapon needs - Panzer Dragoon-style lock-on lasers would be fun.

Maybe, just maybe the swiss-army-knife gun they have in the Alpha will get stripped down and split into a variety of guns in the final product.
[spoiler-box]http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/7960/knifegun.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Fenn777
Sep 27, 2011, 08:59 AM
Multitarget lock-on would be quite cool. Although I really wouldn't mind a shotgun-style weapon.

•Col•
Sep 27, 2011, 10:39 AM
If I'm not mistaken, you can actually go into the third-person shooter view with melee weapons.

^Dunno why people don't know about this.

The TPS mode is just a camera angle. It has nothing to do with the weapons. When playing with a 360 controller, push the right stick in... Tada! You're in TPS mode. Push it again? Back in free-camera mode.

yoshiblue
Sep 27, 2011, 10:47 AM
In Halo, all vehicles and turrets (and flamethrower) will switch to 3rd person view. Battlefront had both 3rd person and first person with can be change in settings in and out of game.

Fenn777
Sep 27, 2011, 12:56 PM
^Dunno why people don't know about this.

The TPS mode is just a camera angle. It has nothing to do with the weapons. When playing with a 360 controller, push the right stick in... Tada! You're in TPS mode. Push it again? Back in free-camera mode.

This makes no different for most weapons. It does make a difference for weapons with a high reliance on lock-on. For example, PSO slicers. They'd highlight many targets and pass through each of them. How will this work when you are manually throwing it?

•Col•
Sep 27, 2011, 01:54 PM
This makes no different for most weapons. It does make a difference for weapons with a high reliance on lock-on. For example, PSO slicers. They'd highlight many targets and pass through each of them. How will this work when you are manually throwing it?

Exactly how they worked before in PSO?

Hit the closest target in the direction you're aiming, then all the ones behind it. :l

Or they could pull a PSU and make it only hit up to 3 enemies in a small group....

Too many assumptions...

Zorafim
Sep 27, 2011, 03:12 PM
I kinda hope they strike at an arc, like the typical boomerang would be thrown (maybe not an actual hunting boomerang, don't know how those work). Anything struck in that arc would be damaged.
It seems more likely it'll be done PSU style, though. Lock on is possible with melee weapons, right? Just throw the blade, and it'll damage anything it touches.

As for the spreading bullets in a tps game, the closest I can think of is Global Agenda's minigun. It fires a ton of shots, but it's highly unlikely that each shot will fire exactly where you aim. They have a high spread, so they're best used against either a large enemy, or a large group.
A shotgun could work this way. Fire five shots, and each shot fires in some random direction. Great for blowing up a large enemy, or a large group.

RemiusTA
Sep 27, 2011, 03:40 PM
the game has regular camera, and then "TPS" camera, which is kind of redundant naming since the game is always in 3rd person; probably should have called it "precision camera" or something. It also has Auto Lock-on, just like PSO (and to an extent PSU) did. This should mean that you do not have to aim your weapon in most cases.

I WISH the game had TPS + Auto Lock-on. But there's no telling. I'm assuming TPS locks onto a single enemy during melee. Perhaps. I dont know.

You dont need TPS for a slicer because it isn't a gun. You throw it at an enemy, and it does its thing. Unless they're going to add some kind of Legend of Zelda Gale Boomerang type mechanic (they wont), it shouldn't matter.

As for how spread weapons will work, my crystal ball is broken so i can't tell you. : 3

Randomness
Sep 27, 2011, 04:32 PM
the game has regular camera, and then "TPS" camera, which is kind of redundant naming since the game is always in 3rd person; probably should have called it "precision camera" or something. It also has Auto Lock-on, just like PSO (and to an extent PSU) did. This should mean that you do not have to aim your weapon in most cases.

I WISH the game had TPS + Auto Lock-on. But there's no telling. I'm assuming TPS locks onto a single enemy during melee. Perhaps. I dont know.

You dont need TPS for a slicer because it isn't a gun. You throw it at an enemy, and it does its thing. Unless they're going to add some kind of Legend of Zelda Gale Boomerang type mechanic (they wont), it shouldn't matter.

As for how spread weapons will work, my crystal ball is broken so i can't tell you. : 3

Manual lock akin to Wind Waker's boomerang would be interesting, actually.

Kent
Sep 27, 2011, 08:10 PM
I would be okay with having Wind Waker-style manual lock-on for TPS mode (which should be called TPS-style camera), and then a more classical function for the other camera mode - where you huck the thing at an enemy, and it does its thing. It could potentially be good if you wanted to hit a specific series of boss segments, while having the projectile ignore the more durable parts. For example, ignoring a dragon's feet, but hitting its head and wings.

It could be both fun and interesting.

RemiusTA
Sep 27, 2011, 09:22 PM
well, i specifically remember the guy going "TEE PEE ESS-UUU STYLEE"

Geistritter
Sep 27, 2011, 10:08 PM
TPS mode (which should be called TPS-style camera)

"Third person mode" is a camera angle that's toggled manually by the player. A mode is something you move from and to. What is the problem here.

Kent
Sep 28, 2011, 08:25 AM
"Third person mode" is a camera angle that's toggled manually by the player. A mode is something you move from and to. What is the problem here.
You're implying that there's only one third-person camera mode in PSO2, when in fact, there are not only multiple camera modes, but all of them are third-person camera modes. You can't have multiple modes that are accurately described with a single blanket statement, but then use that statement to specifically refer to only one of them; that just serves to hinder coherent discussion of the topic.

Because of this, one is designated as being in the style of a third-person shooter's camera, thus "TPS Style" is used, because it exclusively refers to exactly one available camera style.

Zyrusticae
Sep 28, 2011, 10:48 AM
PSU-style third person camera is not the same as third person shooter-style camera.

I don't see what is difficult about this.

Zorafim
Sep 28, 2011, 11:07 AM
Because of the similarities in the names, I can't even keep track of who is on which side of which argument.