PDA

View Full Version : Really need help with something bad :(

Roger Triton
Sep 27, 2011, 01:20 PM
Does anyone have an idea what kind of meds are used to treat borderline personality disorder? I've been checking a few sites like WebMD, etc. to get an idea.

I WILL EXPLAIN LATER

Thanks.

BIG OLAF
Sep 27, 2011, 01:31 PM
What kind of personality disorder? There's a lot of them, and everyone on the planet has at least one kind of mental "problem."

Roger Triton
Sep 27, 2011, 01:33 PM
It's called exactly
Borderline personality disorder
or BPD for short.
I've been watching a few vids on youtubes about it.

Nitro Vordex
Sep 27, 2011, 01:40 PM
Watching Youtubes and looking at WebMD makes you certified to diagnose things.

The more you know~

TalHex
Sep 27, 2011, 02:05 PM
You could try the Mayo clinic's website... just saying~

Split
Sep 27, 2011, 02:43 PM
So basically people being bipolar?

EDIT: I'm not an expert but the said difference is Bipolar being emotion driven and BPD being chemical imbalance or something like that.BPD is essentially bipolar disorder with poor people-reading skills and oftentimes self-harm mixed in. My ex-girlfriend had it and it led to our break up; she had trouble understanding sarcasm to a frightening degree, she always thought my friends were making fun of her whenever they were around and joking, even if it wasn't even remotely directed at her. When she started to constantly wear things that covered her left forearm, I knew something was up and made her show me. Sure enough, there were horizontal scars and scabs, so I told her I was going to tell her parents if she didn't go and get help, and when she did, the doctor told her she had textbook borderline personality disorder. We broke up mutually the next week after three years; I think she takes Tegretol or something, now? Some sort of mood stabilizer, anyway.

yoshiblue
Sep 27, 2011, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the info.

I deleted my post because I found it unhelpful and maybe insulting due to ignorance or something along that.

Sinue_v2
Sep 27, 2011, 03:51 PM
Does anyone have an idea what kind of meds are used to treat borderline personality disorder? I've been checking a few sites like WebMD, etc. to get an idea.

I WILL EXPLAIN LATER

Thanks.

This is something you need to be asking a medical professional, not PSOworld. Many of the medications used in the treatment of BPD have nasty side effects and drug interactions which really require the patient be routinely monitored for adverse effects. Do not self-medicate.

Randomness
Sep 27, 2011, 04:45 PM
This is something you need to be asking a medical professional, not PSOworld. Many of the medications used in the treatment of BPD have nasty side effects and drug interactions which really require the patient be routinely monitored for adverse effects. Do not self-medicate.

Psychiatry in general should never be subject to self-diagnosis. Self-medication for anything beyond aspirin and such should really be avoided period.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Sep 27, 2011, 05:02 PM
Perhaps you should ask a doctor, don't trust forums for this kind of thing

GCoffee
Sep 27, 2011, 05:57 PM
It could have been worse, though: He could have asked on 4chan.

@Split: I do not mean to bark into your private life, but did you ever get the chance to talk to her or spend some time with her after the break-up? If yes, did she seem like a very different person? I am just wondering if by taking such medicine only the self-harm problems are being eradicated, or if by that also a noticeable change in behavior or personality happens in order to eradicate said problems. Basicially, if she is a completely other person now.

Split
Sep 27, 2011, 07:14 PM
It could have been worse, though: He could have asked on 4chan.

@Split: I do not mean to bark into your private life, but did you ever get the chance to talk to her or spend some time with her after the break-up? If yes, did she seem like a very different person? I am just wondering if by taking such medicine only the self-harm problems are being eradicated, or if by that also a noticeable change in behavior or personality happens in order to eradicate said problems. Basicially, if she is a completely other person now.Don't worry about it, if I wanted it to stay completely private I wouldn't have said anything. :razz:

But I'm not around her enough to really tell. She's nice enough to me in texts and stuff, and she called me once just to ask how I was doing, whether I'd truly moved on or if I still think about her (as if I could just erase three years from my memory, lol) etc. etc., but other than that I try and stay away; she took to making friends with a group of kids that I absolutely loathed in high school (which was when we started dating) like a month or so after we broke up. I've never really asked her about the disorder at the risk of her wrath, so as far as I know she could still be cutting. It wouldn't surprise me if she hasn't changed a bit; she's...stubborn, and not the brightest bulb, all mental issues aside.

@OP At any rate, I know what it's like to be close to someone with Borderline Personality Disorder, but like everyone else is saying, that doesn't make me or anyone else on a forum for video games the person you should go to for advice, no matter how smart many PSO-Worlders are. I don't know your story since you haven't told us, but trust us, you'll be much better off seeking professional help.

BIG OLAF
Sep 27, 2011, 07:41 PM
no matter how smart many PSO-Worlders are.

^Can't wait for someone to concoct a zany one-liner with that sentence.

Jokes aside, if you think you might have a problem, go get professional help. Don't sit around and try to make yourself better. These kinds of issues are very serious, and if someone suffering from them is left unattended by another caring person, they could end up harmed. Or worse.

Trust me, I know. I've been through it. I still am going through it, but not to such an extent.

HappierWorlds
Sep 28, 2011, 07:49 AM

I've never been into drugs (alone vitamins) myself, TC seems pretty level-headed to ask for help in the first place. Most addicts are brainless.

Psychiatry in general should never be subject to self-diagnosis. Self-medication for anything beyond aspirin and such should really be avoided period.

What a wonderfully (horrible) U.S. medical system you have. I might have to move to Canada to get help because I'm poor & i have something far less than what OP has.

OP should realize that seeing a private Dr, even a few times, is miles ahead of the public welfare psychiatric system.

Sinue_v2
Sep 28, 2011, 06:32 PM
I've never been into drugs (alone vitamins) myself, TC seems pretty level-headed to ask for help in the first place. Most addicts are brainless.

Wha? I wasn't referring to narcotics or alcohol, but I suppose yes, you'd want to stay away from such substances as well - especially psychotropics if there is a mental condition. While Marijuana (for instance) has not been shown to induce psychosis, it can reinforce and exacerbate preexisting conditions.

No, what I meant was that - for instance - certain classes of drugs (such as benzodiazepines) can have very long metabolic half-lives in the body, and taking unregulated doses - or taking other medications which can inhibit the bodies ability to metabolize them - can cause them to aggregate in vital organs and cause distress/trauma. You have to step-down doses to ween yourself off of them. Similarly, that's why you never want to take Zoloft (Sertraline) with an MAOI, since it's metabolized by the L-monoamine oxidases enzymes that are being inhibited. Many of these drugs used to treat depression and anxiety also require strict dietary restrictions, since certain foods and supplements can also enhance or negatively reinforce metabolism. (Caffeine, Resveratol, Ginko Biloba, etc)

You run the serious risk of blowing out your liver or heart by self-medicating without a doctor's supervision. And I haven't even touched on the dangers of counterfeit drugs you can run into if you circumvent the doctor and procure them from "alternative" sources.