PDA

View Full Version : Video Game Character Designs And Lots of Other Unrelated Things

Miyoko
Sep 29, 2011, 10:27 PM
You don't see Bioware tossing lolis and androgynous heroes into their games.
You haven't played Dragon Age 2, have you? :p

amtalx
Sep 29, 2011, 11:45 PM
You haven't played Dragon Age 2, have you? :p
Oddly enough, yes. I was even one of the few that really enjoyed the changes to the combat system (didn't much care for the storytelling though).

There certainly aren't any lolis, and the only people that could possibly qualify for the 'androgynous hero' role are Anders and Fenris, and that's by appearance only. Their actual character traits speak volumes to the opposite, particularly in the case of Fenris. You might be able to argue Anders because he swings both ways, but that actually lends an element of flexibility to the narrative that JP developers refuse to adopt.

Selphea
Sep 30, 2011, 12:05 AM
There certainly aren't any lolis

Moérrill is moé though

RemiusTA
Sep 30, 2011, 12:25 AM
JRPGs are shit now anyway

I dont even LIKE WRPGs and i'll admit they're better these days

kyuuketsuki
Sep 30, 2011, 03:06 AM
I dont even LIKE WRPGs and i'll admit they're better these days
That's pretty funny. Mass Effect? Has some fun elements, but is pretty much entirely crap. Dragon Age? God-awful crap (especially DA2). Fallout 3? Big ol' stinking pile of crap. New Vegas wasn't bad, but still was held back by the crap engine and the WTFROMANS? crap. Skyrim will be crap (because Bethesda has been crap since Morrowind). ... What the hell else is going on in WRPG-dom?

Don't get me wrong, I was as disappointed in FFXIII as anyone (although I actually really liked the characters and story, just the linear run-forward gameplay and AI-controlled teammates combat made it bleh).

Only halfway decent things resembling RPGs I've played recently are The Witcher 2 and Deus Ex.

And, on topic... I love how a lot of people are going on with their knee-jerk overreactions to that tweet when it's been pointed out numerous times that the translation of the last part as "... so disappointed" was likely inaccurate, or at least misleading.

RemiusTA
Sep 30, 2011, 09:56 AM
That's the best news ive heard about this game all year, Mike.

That's pretty funny. Mass Effect? Has some fun elements, but is pretty much entirely crap. Dragon Age? God-awful crap (especially DA2). Fallout 3? Big ol' stinking pile of crap. New Vegas wasn't bad, but still was held back by the crap engine and the WTFROMANS? crap. Skyrim will be crap (because Bethesda has been crap since Morrowind). ... What the hell else is going on in WRPG-dom?

Don't get me wrong, I was as disappointed in FFXIII as anyone (although I actually really liked the characters and story, just the linear run-forward gameplay and AI-controlled teammates combat made it bleh).

Only halfway decent things resembling RPGs I've played recently are The Witcher 2 and Deus Ex.

And, on topic... I love how a lot of people are going on with their knee-jerk overreactions to that tweet when it's been pointed out numerous times that the translation of the last part as "... so disappointed" was likely inaccurate, or at least misleading.

Can't really comment on any of them. Skyrim looks neat because it's the first western RPG i've seen that isn't animated like a 1996 3D action game.

FFXIII was more than linear. The only reason i enjoyed that game is because it was pretty, and it was Final Fantasy. It was such a fucking bad RPG though that i dont even know why they called it one. There is nothing, nothing, NOTHING about that game that says "RPG". It would have been a MUCH better game if it was simply an Action Game with instanced battles.

[SPOILER-BOX]I recently downloaded Breath of Fire IV on PSN, since BOF3 was probably one of my fav. RPGs (along with FFVII) and i had never owned it back during PSX days. Older JRPGs do things that ones today just do not do anymore, probably because they don't care about anything other than how beautiful their character models are, how nice their voice actors sound, their shitty script or the battle engine that SUPPOSEDLY is supposed to be the focal point of the game.

I missed the time when RPGs were more about just having a perpetual good time exploring, getting stronger, and PLAYING through the storyline (which implies that you get a chance to do something OTHER than watch, you know?). These days, you run through areas, WATCH the storyline unfold (100% motion capture), and constantly fight shit. Oh yeah and as an added bonus, there's a SUPER POWERFUL ENDGAME BAWS that you need to grind for 9 years to defeat.

Im waiting for FFXIII-2 to come out, but the longer I wait the less i care about it, TBH. The lead character is an OBVIOUS fanservice stunt, the game is coming out in damn near 1/4th the time the original did, and the ONLY info i ever hear about the game involves the usual 2011 JRPG shit -- cutscenes, story spoilers, voice actor information, and other equally pointless shit.

/rant[/SPOILER-BOX]

kyuuketsuki
Sep 30, 2011, 11:05 AM
Can't really comment on any of them. Skyrim looks neat because it's the first western RPG i've seen that isn't animated like a 1996 3D action game.Huh? Bethesda is the only WRPG developer I'm aware of that has had painfully awkward animations. Maybe Bioware too.

But I do have to give it to Bethesda... they do seem to have finally realized their animations needed to stop sucking big time. Too bad there's too much else crap about their games for me to give Skyrim anything but my disdain.

FFXIII was more than linear. The only reason i enjoyed that game is because it was pretty, and it was Final Fantasy. It was such a fucking bad RPG though that i dont even know why they called it one. There is nothing, nothing, NOTHING about that game that says "RPG". It would have been a MUCH better game if it was simply an Action Game with instanced battles.
Can't argue with you there, although JRPGs (particularly the Final Fantasy series) have always tended to straddle the line between narrative-heavy RPG and action-adventure game with instanced battles. But yeah, Square-Enix really dropped the ball with XIII (although I disliked XII as well... haven't really loved a FF since X).

RemiusTA
Sep 30, 2011, 11:23 AM
I believe X was the only recent one to do the whole "this game is story based" correctly. The game had a VERY good plot line, the characters were all great, and the world was very well designed. The game didn't try to stuff plot twists down your throat, it had ALOT of unique little interaction tidbits with the characters, and it was just a generally fun game. It really made me feel something for the world and the characters.

You could easily feel the amount of time put into designing the world of FFX. I loved that game.

XIII....ugh. It's what happens when you try to cut corners, IMO. They tried to make the game 100% story based, and cut out everything but fights and cutscenes. But they tend to forget, a majority of the emotion you obtain that ALLOWS you to feel anything for the characters/world comes from actually letting you interact. By the end of FFXIII's storyline, i didn't give a shit WHAT happened because i didn't care about anyone other than the characters i'd been staring at and mashing X with for 40 hours.

I beat FFXIII like 3 days after it came out. I recently tried to play through the game again? I couldn't stomach more than 4 hours before I realized.....FFXIII wasn't a very fun game at all.

Enforcer MKV
Sep 30, 2011, 11:54 AM
Honestly, Kyuuketsuki, I don't think you like the styles that most Western RPGs are done in. I just think you like different kinds of games.

I've played both Mass Effects (liked 1 better than 2, but both are good.) both Dragon Ages (Origins was exceptionally well done, in my humble opinion, 2 was......eh.) And both Fallout 3 and New Vegas. (When the games work, they're both good games, but a lot of what Obsidium added in NV was genius, if you ask me.), though both were plagued with numerous bugs, as was Oblivion (Hoping the new engine also means less of those, though not holding my breath.)

But in all honesty, other than DA2, all of the games that you listed were good (and the only reason DA2 was considered such a flop was because most people were expecting an upgraded DA:O, if I recall correctly.). I just think you aren't into that kind of game.

ShinMaruku
Sep 30, 2011, 11:54 AM
Too bad they did not learn from f13.
To sacrifice the art guy to Dustin Hendrickson.

RemiusTA
Sep 30, 2011, 11:56 AM
...huh?

amtalx
Sep 30, 2011, 12:49 PM
Honestly, Kyuuketsuki, I don't think you like the styles that most Western RPGs are done in. I just think you like different kinds of games.

I've played both Mass Effects (liked 1 better than 2, but both are good.) both Dragon Ages (Origins was exceptionally well done, in my humble opinion, 2 was......eh.) And both Fallout 3 and New Vegas. (When the games work, they're both good games, but a lot of what Obsidium added in NV was genius, if you ask me.), though both were plagued with numerous bugs, as was Oblivion (Hoping the new engine also means less of those, though not holding my breath.)

But in all honesty, other than DA2, all of the games that you listed were good (and the only reason DA2 was considered such a flop was because most people were expecting an upgraded DA:O, if I recall correctly.). I just think you aren't into that kind of game.

Agreed. However, I liked some of the changes in DA2. The combat system was far more responsive, which was a welcome addition considering the engine only allows you to queue one command (Baldur's Gate veteran here). kyuuketsuki's comments are just juvenile bitching without any actual points about what is 'crap'.

Enforcer MKV
Sep 30, 2011, 01:18 PM
Agreed. However, I liked some of the changes in DA2. The combat system was far more responsive, which was a welcome addition considering the engine only allows you to queue one command (Baldur's Gate veteran here). kyuuketsuki's comments are just juvenile bitching without any actual points about what is 'crap'.

Of course, derogatory remarks only serve to ruffle feathers and spark argument...

NoiseHERO
Sep 30, 2011, 02:12 PM
I'm actually new to western RPG's, I thought they'd all be horrible. But they're kind of interesting, well watching my brother play Fallout 3 it looked like a breath of fresh air compared to JRPGs...

But at the same time, to me they look like cheap mmos(but offline) with LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTS of voice acting.

RemiusTA
Sep 30, 2011, 02:17 PM
Thats precisely why i've never finished one.

Fallout 3 was such an awesome game when i started, but there is a problem when it's MORE boring to talk to videogame characters in-game than it is even in real life.

That, and you were given SO much freedom that i 1) rarely knew what i was supposed to be doing, 2) rarely ever was doing what i was supposed to be doing, and 3) stopped to realize after i got out of a train station once that i had no clue what was going on.

Zyrusticae
Sep 30, 2011, 02:18 PM
Sandbox games are definitely not for everyone.

If you don't get into the groove of just wandering around and randomly completing whatever task you fancy to complete at that point in time, it probably won't grab you.

I find the players that most gravitate to sandbox games possess either preternatural wanderlust or give themselves their own direction to go in.

BIG OLAF
Sep 30, 2011, 02:20 PM
Too bad there's too much else crap about their games for me to give Skyrim anything but my disdain.

Wha-

I don't-

...You poor, poor soul. :disapprove:

I guess I'm just more able to overlook most technical problems with games and just enjoy them for the experience they offer. Which, with TES, is always awesome.

RemiusTA
Sep 30, 2011, 02:32 PM
Sandbox games are definitely not for everyone.

If you don't get into the groove of just wandering around and randomly completing whatever task you fancy to complete at that point in time, it probably won't grab you.

I find the players that most gravitate to sandbox games possess either preternatural wanderlust or give themselves their own direction to go in.

It's not that it's sandbox, its that it wasn't a fun sandbox. It's fun when you're given a direction, but just aimless wondering over a barren wasteland knocking off theives and murdering towns with seperate save files is only fun for so long.

GTA4 was a sandbox game that let me do alot of things, but the game itself was interesting enough that i was driven to actually do story missions inbetween my wondrous killing sprees. Infamous was another game that was a sandbox with pretty weak missions inbetween main ones. But the constant gain of new abilities and the exploration of some of the stages was always a great drive for me to continue onwards. I almost beat that entire game in one day i was having so much fun.

It wasn't that Fallout 3 wasn't interesting...it just too big. I was super into it at the start of the game because it felt like it was going somewhere. Leaving the vault, getting into a fight with that guy, the birthday scene, all of that was very interesting and involving. But after the first few towns...i just lost interest; the game was just far too big for me.

I always say that the reason i dont like the amount of freedom in western RPGs is because some of them are just so large that no one thing ever feels significant.

ShinMaruku
Sep 30, 2011, 02:46 PM
...huh?

Square needs to put Tetsuya Nomura to sleep and hire less artists and hire more gameplay designers.

NoiseHERO
Sep 30, 2011, 02:55 PM
Square needs to put Tetsuya Nomura to sleep and hire less artists and hire more gameplay designers.

They seriously work that man like a dog, he's an awesome artist and he can do a LOT of different styles, from pretentious over glorified realistic bishounens and bishoujos to goofy big head digimon kid looking characters wrapped up in zippers and harajuku street fahion. I ALMOST became TOO obsessed with trying to mimmick his KH/Twewy style when I was a teenager which technically was only a couple years ago.

But he needs a break. I mean now it's kind of hard to see a real final fantasy without him, I mean... you can't just go from tetsuya nomura... then go back to the last guy who drew all the sketchy and pale-ish characters (though his style was at least super unique)...

Actually yes they could... It would probably look a LOT more fantasy like, and square-enix's budget would just make everything work by being pretty and expensive either way. But they're too cheap to wanna take the chance, because they know Mr.Final Fantasy 7 sells.

RemiusTA
Sep 30, 2011, 04:51 PM
Nomura does get worked alot. I think they're putting alot of pressure on him, but he's pretty much defined square these days. I think he's a much better character designer than he is a story writer though, DEFINITELY. The Final Fantasy X characters were probably his best work in my opinion -- they all have a very believable, realistic feel to them. Except for Wakka's fin hair. And the only thing i even LIKED about FFXIII was its characters. (well i hated Snow and Vanille, but that was more their personality/Voice Actor specifically than their designs.)

But as for his story writing? I hate Kingdom Heart's story past KH1. It's just so retarded.

I think Final Fantasy XII was a wonderful departure from him, though. I really liked all those characters. Except for Vann -- it was explained that Vann was actually a side character and that Basch was actually the original main character (which would have been MUCH better, oh my god), but they didn't do it because they didn't think japan would recieve him well. Probably because he wasn't a damn bishounen, and was actually unmistakable as a Man.

Nomura is just as unique as Amano. They never got rid of him, though -- he usually does work on all the stuff, he just isn't the lead character designer anymore.

I never tried to copy Nomura's style, mostly because everyone i knew (and one of my close friends) put everything he had into emulating his style. That, and nomura's drawing style was always too sharp for me anyway, since i draw alot softer and rounder.

No, what they need to do is change their idea of what a good game is. They're more focused on what's popular instead of what's fun.

Don't get me wrong, Versus looks like its going to be an amazing game. But the Final Fantasy XIII + Final Fantasy XIV hyper combo finish scares the fuck out of me for the future of the quality of Square's game. There was nothing wrong with the GAMEPLAY....it just wasn't a fun game overall.

They seemed more focused on the popular culture aspect of their games than the games themselves.

ShinMaruku
Sep 30, 2011, 05:17 PM
See less artists and more other designers would change how they think. Ok so we give Nomura a break but we need to sacrfice somebody to Dustin.. I know, Wada!

RemiusTA
Sep 30, 2011, 05:53 PM
You can't place the blame on any one part IMO. That's why their shit is fucked up now.

I guess Square Enix, for SOME REASON, believes that Final Fantasy VII was such a great game and a huge success because the story was SUPER AMAZING and so well written....well, it definitely was, but the script of the game alone could have never made it a fun game. That's like saying the guns alone are what makes Halo a fun FPS title.

Alot of people didn't like Square Enix's RPGs since the merger. But to be completely honest, i loved FFX-2 as a game, and FFXII is one of my favorite entries into the series. X-2 had a HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE storyline, but it was a very fun game -- it probably had the best active time fighting engine IMO. I liked XII because it was different and interesting.

But yeah, square is more interested in building movies with in-game engines nowdays than they are with making role playing games. That said, Type-0 looks neat, and The 3rd Birthday, despite it's blaring fanservice, was one hell of a fun game to play. I played that game nonstop, beat it, and then turned around and started again on the next difficulty...which I RARELY do with any videogame. But that shower scene was just absolutely terrible, and im surprised they sunk so low to actually include it in the game. The clothing damage idea was awesome too, except for the part where maximum damage on any costume literally has one of Aya's ass cheeks hanging out. Sexy, but seriously guys, grow up.

tl;dr they need to stop focusing so much on building lovable LOOKING characters and make a game where you can grow to love them by playing the fucking game. You know, like in the old days when characters were nothing but pixels, or ugly boxes.

NoiseHERO
Sep 30, 2011, 07:08 PM
I actually can't like characters like that no matter how good the story is, sure it's fine when the characters are good lookings cute, pretty, or for men handsome even. But there's gotta be a limit or a balance somewhere.

When I click on a video preview for square enix's next game and I see a super bishounen advent children gackt wannabe sasuke uchiha in japanese goth clothes it's like "get to the swords already"

Or when I see Paladin Cecil and I can't tell if I'm looking at a japanese glam metal parody until he's talking all serious and boring for no reason they're gone too far.

They had a good balance with KH and FF10

But by the time of KH2 or this nova crysalis 13-whatever crap, where sora and all the guys genders go from prepubescent boy ready for adventure to questionably girly at the back of the box it's all. "OMG IT'S ALL OVER"

Angelo
Oct 1, 2011, 07:53 AM
Or when I see Paladin Cecil and I can't tell if I'm looking at a japanese glam metal parody until he's talking all serious and boring for no reason they're gone too far.

I have no problem with the way Square Enix characters look, and Cecil is the very last one you should be complaining about. His recent 3D incarnations have been spot on with this character art and overworld sprite. You can't really complain about the way he's talking and imply it's neglect to the 'story' because Cecil has always been serious, stoic, and noble.

kyuuketsuki
Oct 1, 2011, 10:45 AM
Wha-

I don't-

...You poor, poor soul. :disapprove:

I guess I'm just more able to overlook most technical problems with games and just enjoy them for the experience they offer. Which, with TES, is always awesome.
Lol, the experience of a horribly designed world with uninteresting characters, crappy storyline. quests, and dialogue, the most hilariously bad combat in the history of anything, dumbass level-scaling, bad animations, laughable Radiant AI non-sense that was actually one of the worst AIs ever, etc. and so on? I'll pass, thanks.

I love exploration and free-form gameplay, it has nothing to do with not being "that type" of gamer. Bethesda just sucks, period. Their marketing and hype machine are the only things they do well nowadays, but those things don't make a game good, unfortunately.

Look, I've had this "debate" many times before other places. You'll never convince me to touch another piece of Bethesda crapware, and I'll likely never convince you that it is, indeed, crapware. Let's just agree to disagree and focus on our mutual love for PSO instead.

BIG OLAF
Oct 1, 2011, 11:23 AM
Let's just agree to disagree and focus on our mutual love for PSO instead.

But I hated PSO. PSO2 looks great, though. I think you should have said "mutual love of Phantasy Star."

:D

NoiseHERO
Oct 1, 2011, 12:31 PM
I have no problem with the way Square Enix characters look, and Cecil is the very last one you should be complaining about. His recent 3D incarnations have been spot on with this character art and overworld sprite. You can't really complain about the way he's talking and imply it's neglect to the 'story' because Cecil has always been serious, stoic, and noble.

I've actually never liked paladin Cecil either way. He was cool UNTIL he became a paladin. I dunno about this neglect to the story stuff.

And this looks more like some valhala mel gibson blonde barbarian superman faced white guy or something.

http://members.fortunecity.com/zobovor/cecil_paladin_kitbash_game.jpg

compared to...

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2009/344/c/c/Cecil_Paladin_wallpaper_by_Neo_Exdeath.jpg

Okay, let's NOT have another retarded off-topic argument, this time being Japan's obsession with bishounenizing everything now.

Angelo
Oct 1, 2011, 01:57 PM
And this looks more like some valhala mel gibson blonde barbarian superman faced white guy or something.

Totally not seeing it, but okay. He's always looked very 'fair' to me.

I like Cecil as a whole though, and definitely a bit more as a Paladin.

kyuuketsuki
Oct 1, 2011, 10:08 PM

compared to...

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2009/344/c/c/Cecil_Paladin_wallpaper_by_Neo_Exdeath.jpg
Looks like simply a different art style to me. Plus, y'know, the whole not being 8-bit pixellated graphics.

NoiseHERO
Oct 1, 2011, 10:13 PM
Looks like simply a different art style to me. Plus, y'know, the whole not being 8-bit pixellated graphics.

That's...kind of the point though.

I know Tetsuya can make manly characters since the guy can draw in like 12 different styles, and even though this one is more closer to FF7-KH Cecil could have still slipped out of looking like a drag queen.

BUT YEAH, that's not important anymore.

RemiusTA
Oct 2, 2011, 01:50 PM
Tetsuya Nomura didn't create Cecil. In fact, he didn't create any of the characters until Final Fantasy 7...which was probably the best one they did, depending on who you ask. Regardless, it was undoubtedly the best one they ever sold.

That's why he got so popular with the community and the company.

His Dissidia form looks like a bitch because...well, everyone in that game did. Squall was way smaller than he looked on any CG in FF8. Tidus as well -- he lost whatever muscle mass he had and his face got super girly.

Japan doesn't seem to care for guys who look like guys anymore. Which is why i loved FFXII's character designs. Balthier was a pretty man, but he was the fuckin awesomest male character in a final fantasy game ever, soooo...

But yeah, Cecil and Warrior of Light looked like damn drag queens.

NoiseHERO
Oct 2, 2011, 02:04 PM
Tetsuya Nomura didn't create Cecil. In fact, he didn't create any of the characters until Final Fantasy 7...which was probably the best one they did, depending on who you ask. Regardless, it was undoubtedly the best one they ever sold.

This I definitely know, since like I said, I wasted a lot of energy on this guys artwork ironically.

Just saying I don't like the way he did Cecil, and of course everyone else, other than Zidane and his gay brother who...if you ask me was an improvement though his brother will always look gay even if he is kind of badass he still looks gay....*echo* "gay..." as shit.

But yeah in general, KNOWING he can make manry guys too. (and even girls with boobs if he feels like it... which is rare...) He could've at least had a better balance in his bishounen, to not-drag queen, to not bishounen ratio in the Dissidia games.

RemiusTA
Oct 2, 2011, 02:25 PM
Man Kuja was a fruitcake.

But TBH, he's one of my favorite villains. He had wonderful dialogue. But yeah, people need to jump off Nomura's back. He's getting worked because they seem to be relying on him for absolutely everything they want to get popular.

They won't make him draw anyone who's not a woman-man because those are the characters they KNOW will be popular with the Otakus, they KNOW will get more billboard attention, and they KNOW will make for more japan-attractive cover art.

kyuuketsuki
Oct 3, 2011, 11:09 AM
I know it's really popular to say, when an artist changes his/her style to something you don't like as much as their old style, that they must be caving to pressure from management or their audience or whatever to make something that appeals to [insert group of people who obviously have inferior sensibilities]. While certainly possible, it's also quite possible that the artist genuinely likes their new direction and/or got tired of their old style. Just sayin'.

RemiusTA
Oct 3, 2011, 11:19 AM
it's certainly possible. It's not so much the characters that bother me, tbh. It's the shitty stories and ridiculously tropey situations they're stuck in that bothers me.

Im excited like fuck for FFXIII Versus. Nomura told one simple aspect of the game that instantly made me interested -- "Noctis is just a normal guy, he isn't quiet, he tries to put on a serious act, and he thinks hes way stronger than he really is".

It's such a contrast to his outward appearance that im genuinely excited to see what the story is going to be like. But more often than not, this doesn't ever happen to jp stories. It's like i can predict all the character relations and outcomes just by looking at the designs. I was about to say "plot twists" too, but unfortunately those have become so ridiculous at times that they're more disappointing than exciting.

Canard de Bain
Oct 3, 2011, 12:03 PM
Back on topic.... please.

NoiseHERO
Oct 3, 2011, 12:06 PM
I know it's really popular to say, when an artist changes his/her style to something you don't like as much as their old style, that they must be caving to pressure from management or their audience or whatever to make something that appeals to [insert group of people who obviously have inferior sensibilities]. While certainly possible, it's also quite possible that the artist genuinely likes their new direction and/or got tired of their old style. Just sayin'.

That's... popular to say...?

I'm sure if you're working for Square-Enix or Disney, you barely have a choice either way. He's not exactly drawing manga...

If he decided to time travel sora an extra 7 years and made him look like Snow or something people would start hitting him with blackjacks.

You're not important @ rappy face

RemiusTA
Oct 3, 2011, 12:29 PM

I really can't understand you when you mumble. You should try typing louder.

I was always sad that Snow was a departure, but he was a character who not only I thought was annoying but apparently the entire game as well.

NoiseHERO
Oct 3, 2011, 12:36 PM
I really can't understand you when you mumble. You should try typing louder.

I was always sad that Snow was a departure, but he was a character who not only I thought was annoying but apparently the entire game as well.

I honestly just got this game...

And I pretty much hate everyone...

-Lightning... typical uptight army bitch, that character was cooler in blood the last vampire.
-Sazh, I thought I'd at least like him, but he seems to just take all of her shit, while he's getting punked around.
-Snow... His appearance to his personality, to the dumb things he does I hope... erm... Hope stabs him in the balls with that boomerang.
Vanille or whatever... She's in the middle of a terrorist attack(OR SOMETHING) and she's prancing around like a pyscho. Not sure if Awesome, or just annoying and unrealistic.
-Hope, His mother just got killed infront of him and he's too worried about being socially awkward with the psycho girl.

RemiusTA
Oct 3, 2011, 01:05 PM
By the end of the game, Sazh, Hope and Lightning were my favorite characters. Although Lightning reminds me of Squall, minus the mid-game confession of his shitty emoness that made me like him in the first place. Or maybe Lightning did do that. I
don't remember, because i forgot most of the stuff about that game.

Fang is hot and i dont have too many issues with her.

Vanille...ugh, 1) her accent is inconsistant as fuck, 2) they went WAYYYY overboard with that whole cutesy act, it's ridiculous at times, especially after the story progresses and you learn more about her, and 3) around midgame when everything gets SUPER srs busns, her voice clips go from entertaining to....well, i have to keep the game turned down because she has bad female VA syndrome.

I.E. all her voice clips sounded like she was humping somebody

Canard de Bain
Oct 3, 2011, 01:06 PM
Get your own thread!

Anon_Fire
Oct 3, 2011, 01:16 PM
Get back on topic!!!

yoshiblue
Oct 3, 2011, 01:58 PM
Didn't mass effect , which is by bioware, come with cutscenes and dialogue choice?

NoiseHERO
Oct 3, 2011, 02:01 PM
/Still laughing at desperation to get back on topic

And PSO2 DOES have voice acting, if you haven't noticed the helicopter NPC yelling random relevant things.

Or was that my imagination...

yoshiblue
Oct 3, 2011, 02:04 PM
There was music. That's all I heard.

NoiseHERO
Oct 3, 2011, 02:14 PM
I think it was during one of the gameplay leaks...? Or Sakai's presentation... Hmm...

RemiusTA
Oct 3, 2011, 02:42 PM
Yes it has voice acting already.

No, i dont want ANYBODY to talk, or even mutter a phrase in English. The only PSU iteration with good voice acting was PSU v1 before the voices. The moment the voices came, i had to literally change my force's voice because it was pissing me off.

NPCs, sure. My characters? No. I hate bad localization more than anything. Sega will translate their games wonderfully, but hire the most shitty voice actors on the god damn planet.

Just look at Sonic the Hedgehog after SA2. That whole cast was shitty.

The fact is, over here it's just super cheesy to mutter a dumb phrase after every attack. Works in japanese, doesn't work in english at all. The only game to ever get it right was Devil May Cry, because Dante/Nero has voice actors that are not trash. (that game is perma-english anyway, there ARE no japanese VAs for DMC.)

Square Enix usually does a great job with their voice hiring. They should take cues from them.

yoshiblue
Oct 3, 2011, 02:50 PM
Reminds me of the people who complain about sonic's VA. Then they change it and people either complain about that one or complain about how others hated the previous one. Were as japan only had one or two VA's for sonic.

Randomness
Oct 3, 2011, 03:42 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=501&pictureid=5111

Yeah...

Welcome to hell folks.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Oct 3, 2011, 04:27 PM
Huh? Bethesda is the only WRPG developer I'm aware of that has had painfully awkward animations. Maybe Bioware too.

But I do have to give it to Bethesda... they do seem to have finally realized their animations needed to stop sucking big time. Too bad there's too much else crap about their games for me to give Skyrim anything but my disdain.

Can't argue with you there, although JRPGs (particularly the Final Fantasy series) have always tended to straddle the line between narrative-heavy RPG and action-adventure game with instanced battles. But yeah, Square-Enix really dropped the ball with XIII (although I disliked XII as well... haven't really loved a FF since X).

what is is that makes you hate the game so much?

TalHex
Oct 3, 2011, 06:01 PM
Wah, wah, wah.

I motion that all videogame characters hence forth should be androgynous lolis.

Randomness
Oct 3, 2011, 09:12 PM
Wah, wah, wah.

So they should henceforth cater to lolicons. Makes... sense... not.

TalHex
Oct 4, 2011, 10:00 AM
When have I ever made sense or claimed to make sense?

RenzokukenZ
Oct 4, 2011, 10:18 AM
Wah, wah, wah.

Fuck that. Make the men into angry, bald steroid-abusers and the women into feminazis.

Outrider
Oct 4, 2011, 12:11 PM
I think they should be angry, bald, steroid-abusers dressed up as androgynous lolis.

Isoya
Oct 4, 2011, 01:59 PM
I think they should be angry, bald, steroid-abusers dressed up as androgynous lolis.

Yeah, thanks... I can't unsee that...

TalHex
Oct 4, 2011, 02:09 PM
Mission accomplished then.

Randomness
Oct 4, 2011, 02:19 PM
Mission accomplished then.

Next Destination:
Hard Venom

Have fun. :wacko:

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Oct 5, 2011, 12:22 AM
http://lh6.ggpht.com/joelrgross/SK2MGBGsSHI/AAAAAAAACG8/IO-qMvSoBe8/pic25360.jpg

http://www.allmotivated.com/pictures/Demotivational-pictures-little_Asian_Girl.jpg

The future doesn't look good.

RenzokukenZ
Oct 5, 2011, 12:29 PM
Not bald enough.