PDA

View Full Version : Playing a Hunewmn looking for advice on a build ^^

Longinous
Oct 5, 2011, 03:52 PM
Been having a good time playing a Hunewm the pp regen is nice. I was wandering how well does a Slicer work with this guy? I can spam PP skills a lot now, any items I should keep an eye out for to make this better working on all hard mode quests now. Any spells other then buffs and heals I should consider adding on to my pallet? I mainly aim to use daggers and double sabers and enjoy using phobos gun from time to time, any other good weapons I should hunt for and why?

Been working on several mags as well, how much ata should I aim for on a mag that I intend to use ata on, any other good mag suggestions for specific mag abilities?

I was also curious about builds, I am atm just going all pow but I am considering a eva setup for future sounds fun.

Thanks for any advice ^^

DoctorShanks
Oct 6, 2011, 10:09 AM
Back when I was playing my Hunewearl, I took advantage of what was so unique about her; Highest MST of the hunters, and the highest EVP of the hunters. So I maxed her EVP in hopes that she would be a supporter that could dodge like a boss while weilding the Kouga Shuriken and the Shinobi Suit... I suggest that you DON'T do an EVP setup especially with a HUnewm... I deleted my HUnewearl because she had the lowest ATP of all the hunters, and I decided I wanted a character that could dish out hits and take them too. I made a HUmar.

Now, in response to this thread... I'm the kind of guy that tries to shed light on every playable character; what can the HUnewm do that the other hunters can't? First of all, natural PP recovery allows for Tech and PA spamming with little need for the Mono/Difluid recovery combo (90%). Keep in mind however that you are not a force, so you should not be spamming offensive techs. I'm talking about supportive techs like Shifta/Deband/Anti/Resta. Here's what my HUnewearl's palette looked like:

Universal Palette: (HUnewm/HUnewearl)

Palette 1: Attack / Dodge Roll
Palette 2: Heavy Attack
Palette 3: Resta
Palette 4: Anti / Dodge Roll / Mates
Palette 5: Shifta
Palette 6: Deband / Dodge Roll

You are not at dextrous as the HUnewearl, so because of this, Dodge roll was given a slash three times. You can run Dodge roll in place of Attack if you're confident about your accuracy OR your weapon has a nice accuracy adjustment. Not running Resta with such a great (half-decent) MST would be a waste. Anti is there, but was given a slash just in case you might be using a Status Protect Unit (Such as a Slow Protect on Chaos+Mobius or Ice protect at Rioh Snowfield). Mates can be used for instant revocery at bosses, but in the field they're often not needed, and as a Newman, Resta is almost always the superior option unless you're not very confident or you're soloing a dungeon/boss. Shifta absolutely cannot be ignored. You have it so use it. Deband is nice, but I found out that most of the time, it didn't let me survive an extra hit. You'll have to experiment with Deband.

Now back to business. Making multiple mags is a good idea. If you think you need a few extra points in accuracy, you can switch to the corresponding mag. This will require a bit of experimenting. As a male Hunter, try to find items with accuracy adjustment first, as maxing power mats is almost always the way to go. Making multiple mags doesn't cause as much of a headache as using a reset material. Try for a 99 POW/1 HIT, then make a 75 POW/ 25 HIT, then a 50/50 in case misses really start to pile up.

All weapons are good weapons. Thank goodness for Photon arts. Otherwise, nobody would use sabers (Force Ride). Guns are a must in a few areas (Rioh Snowfield, Makara Ruins, and Ozette Wetlands... if I forgot any someone remind me), but most of the time you'll be using weapons that you can wield as a hunter. Don't use a sword unless it has Over End, and don't use a claw unless it has Bite Stamp or Serpent Air. All in all, Daggers and Double sabers are still considered the better weapons due to the way they attack without Photon Arts.

Opinion:

HUnewm is nice, but unfortunately, we're looking at another "Jack of all Trades, master of none." He can do everything, but to not as great of an extent as the HUnewearl or the HUmar. The unique niche that the HUnewm has is the ability to spam PA's with greater power than that of the HUnewearl, while not having to worry as much about PP recovery as the HUmar or HUmarl... or those poor CASTs

Afternote: I'm sorry if I left any Bias in this guide, but unfortunately, I don't have alot of experience with Hunters.

Written by DoctorShanks.

DMatthews
Oct 6, 2011, 12:05 PM
Nice post will take a lot of this into account when making my own HuNewearl, would also appreciate some info on decent FoNewearl palettes / builds if possible? Also what PAs are decent for Forces?

Thanks

DoctorShanks
Oct 6, 2011, 04:23 PM
Unfortunately, I don't use Megid all too much, so I don't know how to write a good FOnewearl build. I can teach you what techs to use where in game, and when not to use certain techs.

Anymore questions OP?

Atbar
Oct 6, 2011, 08:26 PM
I'm thankful for Dr. Shanks for addressing the questions by the OP. Though, a minor thing, a HUnewn has 30 less evade than a HUney. Having evade in the 750-800 (where the HUnewn would cap) is still high but I notice the biggest difference when my HUney's evade is over 800. Though about the one thing that bugs me about the evade build is you have less power to work than you would with a build centered around more power. Also, some people are bothered by how there are certain enemy attacks that will always hit will regardless of your evade stat. If you want to go for an evade build then go ahead, but I feel you're better off with having 80 power mats and learn to dodge everything for your first character out. If you party with a force with a quick reaction to Resta and/or dedicate two or three palette spaces to mates, then you don't have to worry about dying as much.

DoctorShanks
Oct 6, 2011, 10:05 PM
I should also mention why I didn't suggest having fluids on your palette, and why they weren't even given a slash.

When your PP goes below 10%, you can perform the Mono/Difluid combo by pressing: L+Start, Down, Down, Down, A, A, Down, A, A, Start (in that order). I do this on my force and it saves me two entire palette slots. Furthermore, it takes 2 seconds at the most to perform if you practice it.

Longinous
Oct 12, 2011, 11:23 PM
Hey thanks for advice, my Hunewm is coming up okay I may try eva setup when I have a good enough gear for it to try it out (better armor with eva)

I have been trying to hard to make perfect character to my preference but I have stepped back and try to have fun and experiment with different weapons, I guess that's what its all about.

ATM I am running pure power with some hit on my mag, what is the PB for a 99pow 1 hit mag cause a lot of people suggest this and I am building one now, I was curious though can I make a pow mag that has the PB that gives you super dps buffs when combined (as well as no dmg loss) I have no idea what its called =P

How are slicers with this class? I want to use a nice ranged weapon and the boost in healing sounds like it could be helpful for a support roll but I assume I need a good amount of ata to make use of them? has anyone tried this with any success?

Anyhow atm I am using a crappy 3 slot guardian frame and use mainly a black phobos with 40 acc adj I like it but its getting a little bit gimpy. Generally after that I use my cronos scythe, and I use a pallet with ragular attack roll and shifta and then deband resta and anti, any good suggestions? Anything I can hunt to increase my character that is more easily attainable? I am almost done working on my Hard mode quests for the PA slot.

Eclipse5632
Oct 13, 2011, 01:45 AM
what is the PB for a 99pow 1 hit mag
http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2602

Also, note that the mags that drop in Paru will keep their PB no matter what they evolve into, so if you find one with the right PB/nature you can make any mag with any PB.