PDA

View Full Version : Concept Art: HUmarl HUcast and FOcaseal

RemiusTA
Oct 17, 2011, 11:45 AM
http://bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/humarl.jpg

http://bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/focaseal.jpghttp://bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/PSO2-HUCast.jpg

courtesy of Bumped.org, homeboy stays on top of his game

To be honest, the Humarl outfit would look wayyyy better without that Skirt. It subtracts from the "fighter" in her and almost makes her look like a pseudo-Fonewm. They should have gone with a slimmer design to focus more on her figure and armor. But i guess they just really love skirts....so she looks more like a Nurse, or a Force at best, rather a Hunter. Hopefully you can remove the shoulder/back parts and just keep the corset/bustier looking part with her shirt under it. That looks pretty neat and different to me alone.

Hucast just has too much shit hanging off him. I hope you can remove all those wings and spikey leg and shoulder parts, and make him just look like a regular-ol robot.

Focaseal looks fine to me i guess. Nothing to really complain about.

NoiseHERO
Oct 17, 2011, 12:17 PM
Focaseal still looks like something that'd have a gun...

Hucast... blah blah blah evangelion gundam blah blah

Humarl looks more like a mage. Or like they tried to make her a chick version of Kratos.

yoshiblue
Oct 17, 2011, 01:17 PM
But a jump suit would just look lame. But yeah, replace the skirt.

•Col•
Oct 17, 2011, 01:27 PM
HUmarl is just screaming Duman to me.

I personally really like the HUcast look. I remember people wanting sleeker type designs for the male Casts, and other than the thighs and shoulder pads, I'd say he fits the bill.

Other than the FOcaseal's weird feet, I like it. Although... The amount of groin they decided to show is a little unnerving...

yoshiblue
Oct 17, 2011, 01:35 PM
Your talking to people who accept the boob slider?

But I myself agree.

NoiseHERO
Oct 17, 2011, 02:43 PM
HUmarl is just screaming Duman to me.

I personally really like the HUcast look. I remember people wanting sleeker type designs for the male Casts, and other than the thighs and shoulder pads, I'd say he fits the bill.

Other than the FOcaseal's weird feet, I like it. Although... The amount of groin they decided to show is a little unnerving...

Not JUST sleek, and the oversized pads and inverted legs do a lot of damage towards what it could of been, It's still a giant robot look just a typical nimble design. Also his tiny-ass gundam head.

I'll give it a chance... we'll see how annoying this still is after they give CASTs further customization.

Aumi
Oct 17, 2011, 04:15 PM
I personally quite like the HUcast design. Very sleek a stylish looking. The FOcaseal is pretty decent as well. Not particularly fond of the HUmarl design. It looks kind of broad a slightly bulky-ish...

•Col•
Oct 17, 2011, 04:49 PM
Your talking to people who accept the boob slider?

But I myself agree.

Well the boob slider is a completely different situation. You were always able to adjust your character's boob size in PSO/PSU... They just made it obnoxious to get them the way you want. The boob slider simplifies it, and is a harmless feature...

Intentionally trying to make you imagine a robot vagina, however, is not.

Not JUST sleek, and the oversized pads and inverted legs do a lot of damage towards what it could of been, It's still a giant robot look just a typical nimble design. Also his tiny-ass gundam head.

I'll give it a chance... we'll see how annoying this still is after they give CASTs further customization.

I think with the new ability to change the proportions of Cast parts, you'll be able to get the look you want with what's given.

NoiseHERO
Oct 17, 2011, 05:04 PM
Well the boob slider is a completely different situation. You were always able to adjust your character's boob size in PSO/PSU... They just made it obnoxious to get them the way you want. The boob slider simplifies it, and is a harmless feature...

Intentionally trying to make you imagine a robot vagina, however, is not.

I think with the new ability to change the proportions of Cast parts, you'll be able to get the look you want with what's given.

Or hopefully not a definitely halfassed bootleg version that I have to fill with the rest of my imagination as people tell me it looks retarded as I force myself not to agree as I contemplate deleted the stupid idea until new parts come out.

You guys that can just play with what you're given are lucky... Fortunately the more I look at these character designs the more of a kick in the balls this character creation is starting to look like when it looks like it offers endless customization, then your clothing, robot armor or hair choices become a brick wall that kills the point of all of that.

Is there even an afro in this game?

I don't like that my last chance of this character creation being hot air, whatever they add to this game at the last minute when it's "100% complete." e_e

But that's just me, I'm glad everyone else can complain about loli cast camel toes, while all the male cast fail to disprove looking like giant robot designs which is still retarded for something that should be human sized no matter how I look at it. But I guess it's just as retarded as people letting a little girl fight a pack of wolves by herself in the unknown farthest reaches of space in skimpy clothes and a sword she shouldn't even be able to carry.

MAXrobo
Oct 17, 2011, 05:16 PM
so umm... why do you hate giant robots?

I love the mecha look of the casts, it makes me feel like im playing a robot and not just some guy with fancy armor. besides im sure they will add more standard looking armor for casts because they already said you can have a human face.

NoiseHERO
Oct 17, 2011, 06:02 PM
so umm... why do you hate giant robots?

I love the mecha look of the casts, it makes me feel like im playing a robot and not just some guy with fancy armor. besides im sure they will add more standard looking armor for casts because they already said you can have a human face.

I like my giant robots giant.

WHERES MY ROBO COP OUTFIT?!

DAMN YOU JAPAN.

Randomness
Oct 17, 2011, 09:09 PM
So, schoolgirl (actually, very much like Valkyria Chronicles 2 uniforms), Evangelion, and a RAcaseal variant.

vPharaohv
Oct 17, 2011, 09:11 PM
Hucast is my favorite, I have always used casts. This concept is cool, but I really don't think it should be the basic design that represents Hucasts. I'm assuming there will be parts similar to the original Hucast in the game, otherwise I might try another race.

Seth Astra
Oct 17, 2011, 09:22 PM
HUmarl outfit seems based on the female Guardians Uniform from PSP2. Not sure I like it on her. It clashes with both her proportions and her face. My big issue with her proportions is she looks a bit heavy-set. While her face... Looks way too serious for the outfit... Thankfully there's a ton of character customization.

SephirothXer0
Oct 17, 2011, 09:26 PM
HUmarl outfit seems based on the female Guardians Uniform from PSP2. Not sure I like it on her. It clashes with both her proportions and her face. My big issue with her proportions is she looks a bit heavy-set. While her face... Looks way too serious for the outfit... Thankfully there's a ton of character customization.

Heavyset? She's practically a stick!

And a physical brawler type should be thicker than the average girl anyway. I hate seeing movies and comics where a tiny little girl with NO muscle mass or weight is able to fistfight and grapple with grown men because she knows "martial arts". Martial arts are useless to a weak body.

/rant

RemiusTA
Oct 17, 2011, 09:56 PM
Videogame. Japan. Dont even start lol.

Randomness
Oct 17, 2011, 10:11 PM

Eh... I dunno. I still say it's practically a copy of the female uniforms in VC2. Might just be that I've been playing that lately, but it could easily be a female shocktrooper outfit.

Heavyset? She's practically a stick!

And a physical brawler type should be thicker than the average girl anyway. I hate seeing movies and comics where a tiny little girl with NO muscle mass or weight is able to fistfight and grapple with grown men because she knows "martial arts". Martial arts are useless to a weak body.

/rant

I wouldn't say useless... Depends on the art, really. I don't think it matters much if the person has a sword or something. Or can reach a pressure point, or the like.

There are plenty of ways to injure someone without any significant physical exertion.

RemiusTA
Oct 17, 2011, 10:37 PM
if they're put in equal situations where the other guy can't compensate, then it matters. Otherwise, surprise / weapons / being smart can save you sometimes.

but there isn't much a slim chick can do with a sword when a guy swings so hard he instantly breaks her defense and knocks it out her hand.

Randomness
Oct 17, 2011, 10:48 PM
if they're put in equal situations where the other guy can't compensate, then it matters. Otherwise, surprise / weapons / being smart can save you sometimes.

but there isn't much a slim chick can do with a sword when a guy swings so hard he instantly breaks her defense and knocks it out her hand.

What kind of swordswoman would take the hit (besides a novice)? Anyone who knew what they were doing would probably know a counter. At least, if it was western swordsmanship, since maces hit a ton harder than any fist (Admittedly, the counter was typically a buckler, but the idea of parrying remains). Though I'd expect any martial artist to be able to avoid a random punch. If we're talking two people with actual combat skills, then yeah, the muscles win out (Unless one has a gun. Then the gun kind of throws everything out the window except at short range)

But truthfully, slim doesn't necessarily mean no muscles... unless we're talking supermodel thin. If someone has learned martial arts seriously, they're going to have developed muscles.

NoiseHERO
Oct 18, 2011, 01:43 AM
This is the part where everyone becomes martial arts experts.

Also there are plenty of suicidal secret samurai techniques where you take a hit to slip past the enemy's guard! YEAH SUICIDAL HUMARL!

Angelo
Oct 18, 2011, 03:16 AM
I really don't understand why people are still complaining about the default art. It's not like PSO where we're going to be locked into the same look. Who cares what the default looks like?

We can customize the build, choose any costume/parts we want, and toggle off the visibility of units. This art is basically just 'Look at the poster boy for your class!'.

It means nothing else.

SageAtlasEllimirri
Oct 18, 2011, 07:38 AM
awesome art really looking forward to this game!!

vPharaohv
Oct 18, 2011, 09:32 AM
Lets just agree that Humarl has right proportions to make a sammich at the least.

Jinketsu
Oct 18, 2011, 09:37 AM
Lets just agree that Humarl has right proportions to make a sammich at the least.

I can agree with that!

RemiusTA
Oct 18, 2011, 10:19 AM
This is the part where everyone becomes martial arts experts.

Also there are plenty of suicidal secret samurai techniques where you take a hit to slip past the enemy's guard! YEAH SUICIDAL HUMARL!

Yeah i was trying to avoid this lol.

Basically, you can be as fast as you want, but if you're sword fighting someone, you have 2 options: parry the strike with your weapon/offhand or dodge it completely. But just because you know a parry doesn't mean you can divert anything -- roadblocks are made to "parry" cars, but you see how often that works, right? And most human's aren't able to willy-nilly dodge whatever they want in real life.

I dont do fencing or anything, but it's pretty much common sense. Someone like Ethan would have a real hard time in a swordfight against someone like Leogani, who is probably able to maintain speed with his sword AND strength because of his mass, whereas Ethan could probably move very fast, but it wont help him unless he's using a faster weapon...which would probably be lighter, which makes it faster but also gives him far less defense were he forced to block....

...ok im done

chaos-shadow
Oct 18, 2011, 10:20 AM
I don't really like the design on Humarl, but perhaps when I see it in game, it'll look better. The way it's drawn looks pretty awkward, but I think it's mainly the face. XD Which can obviously be changed. I don't like the pin-stripe magician look, not my idea of HU.

But I DO love the HUcast, I personally think it looks pretty sleek, I could see that coming at you at full speed.

Selphea
Oct 18, 2011, 10:34 AM
Ethan casts his hax Rafoie, which always burns and knocks down and somehow can be used even when he's carrying a 2-handed melee weapon. Win!

Focaseal reminds me of http://psupedia.info/Leus_Innocente

NoiseHERO
Oct 18, 2011, 10:44 AM
I really don't understand why people are still complaining about the default art. It's not like PSO where we're going to be locked into the same look. Who cares what the default looks like?

We can customize the build, choose any costume/parts we want, and toggle off the visibility of units. This art is basically just 'Look at the poster boy for your class!'.

It means nothing else.

Default art = the clothing and parts we're stuck with.

And so far I find most of it either uninteresting looking or "DAMN IT JAPAN!"

RemiusTA
Oct 18, 2011, 11:20 AM
"DAMN IT JAPAN!"

This is mostly what i end up with, and it saddens me. A few years ago i was always "YES JAPAN"

•Col•
Oct 18, 2011, 11:42 AM
Default art = the clothing and parts we're stuck with.

And so far I find most of it either uninteresting looking or "DAMN IT JAPAN!"

Yeah, but.... There will be other clothes to choose from other than the default clothes for the classes. At least, I'm pretty sure they've stated that somewhere...

Also, yeah... I, like many others, thought the HUnewm armor looked insanely awesome, till.... Yeah....

DAMN THEIR UNNATURAL INTEREST IN MIDRIFFS!

NoiseHERO
Oct 18, 2011, 11:48 AM
I just want to know if my character will look annoying before I buy the game or AFTER it's been out for 6 months because I don't like any of these defaults. D:

Humar is still the only bearable one which is... kind of sad. Yeah I still don't like RAmars toiler bowl head jacket. He looks like some douchebag alien with armor that looks stupid on purpose so you know he's the guy you have to shoot at.

In fact I could go on about all the outfits. They're supposed to be modernized, enhanced, pimped out whatever versions of most of the PSO outfits... But in terms of creativity I'm only seeing a downgrade hidden behind a upgrade in detail, that you won't notice with the camera 5 feet away from the back of your running and jumping character anyway...

RemiusTA
Oct 18, 2011, 12:03 PM
They dont bother me much because...well, look at PSO's outfits.

The only thing that bothers me about them is this new theme that it seems to follow, which is pretty much completely standard for ANY anime that is futuristic these days.

The same way PSU came out with its own style, but then Star Ocean 4 shows up and literally looks like all their outfit designs were random'd out of PSU's character creator.

Neith
Oct 18, 2011, 01:15 PM
Honestly, anyone complaining about some of the outfits needs to go back and look at PSO! I've said it before, but obviously no-one remembers the HUnewearl outfit that was just underwear and boots (the yellow/black one). Remember as well that these are defaults, there'll likely be a load of other parts/clothes you can use.

I will however say that seeing the HUmarl in pinstripes made me laugh :wacko:

NoiseHERO
Oct 18, 2011, 01:28 PM
Honestly, anyone complaining about some of the outfits needs to go back and look at PSO! I've said it before, but obviously no-one remembers the HUnewearl outfit that was just underwear and boots (the yellow/black one). Remember as well that these are defaults, there'll likely be a load of other parts/clothes you can use.

You can kind of say they just took the PSO outfits, and then took off everything interesting about them, and replaced it with harder to see details or added stupid things to them. Even worse... I wasn't all that crazy about PSO's original outfits either...

RemiusTA
Oct 18, 2011, 02:09 PM

Hunewearl had some short shorts (although they did cover her whole ass) with or without leggings, and some kind of armorish bustier or something. But honestly she showed no skin that would be inappropriate today, and she also had outfits that covered not only all of her legs but her midriff as well.

PSO2 Hunewearl has ALL of her ass out and a great bit of her top section as well. But generally, from the ribs down to the thighs, she's completely naked, which is....well, just really odd. It's like the inverse of the PSO outfit -- instead of showing off legs and arms and breasts, you're showing off ass midriff and chest. They should have just let her legs and midriff out again instead of whatever ridiculousness it is they have going on down by her bottom half.

Humarl....i'tll maybe grow on me, but im not feeling it right now in the slightest. The last PSO2 trailer made me laugh -- the Humarl looked like a dude, and the Hunewm looked like a chick. Pinstripes, shoulder puffs, back wings and an odd skirt? I dont know. Hopefully i'll be able to remove most of that crap and just have her look kind of like Hunewm.

But honestly, her entire getup just makes her look wayyyy too jesterish, which is supposed to be reserved for the Newman Force classes. I can't put my finger on what's the worst part though, the crap on her shoulder/back, the skirt, or that pinstripe design. But if you just remove the crap on her shoulders then the Skirt wont look nearly as out of place.

yoshiblue
Oct 18, 2011, 02:13 PM
The only person who could come close to PSO2's HUnewy is PSO's FOnewy and her blue suit.

Pinstripe reminds me of a swimsuit.

RemiusTA
Oct 18, 2011, 02:18 PM
Fonewearl in PSO --> Hunewearl in PSO2? Can't really see the resemblance.

Fonewearl was wearing shorts. Even if the texture was changed to resemble underwear or a 1 piece she was still far more modest than the PSO2 outfit.

Enforcer MKV
Oct 18, 2011, 02:49 PM
Huh, the HUmarl.....doesn't bother me that much. It's kinda nice, actually. While it does seem a bit force-ish, I don't mind that, actually.

HUcast? Bleh. First thought was "Evangelion? Really?" All of those fins coming off his body are NOT practical in a melee fight, and I like the outfits to at least make some sense...

FOcaseal? More feet, less skin, please. Pretty please?

I've been iffy on most of the outfits so far. Most were "ok" but the only one's that I've really liked were RAcast and FOcast, off the top of my head. We can add HUmarl to that list.

But for the love of day, I can't stand that freaking HUnewearl outfit. It's just...just....UGH.

SephirothXer0
Oct 18, 2011, 03:16 PM
This is what you call "overdesigning"

The artist has no confidence in his work, so he keeps adding more and more frivolous details and accessories to try and cover up his lack of design sense and anatomical knowledge

Good thing we can change the outfits and body proportions, I'm sure I can make something cool out of a Humar. Of course you have the admit they look way better in the game than they do in this art.

I would have done it more along the lines of this:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b35/SephirothXer0/humarlredo2.jpg

Angelo
Oct 18, 2011, 06:36 PM
Yeah, but.... There will be other clothes to choose from other than the default clothes for the classes. At least, I'm pretty sure they've stated that somewhere...

I thought this was pretty obvious considering the fact they're calling them 'costumes' and the fact that they went through the effort to remove the stat bonuses from them (meaning that there are probably quite a bit more in store that had stats which ramped up depending on rarity).

Sometimes I feel like a lot of people commenting have no idea PSU even existed; costumes were a huge staple of that franchise and are the main DLC purchases for Sega. In fact the releasing of costumes was one of the few things keeping the Universe series floating.

•Col•
Oct 18, 2011, 06:43 PM
Humarl....i'tll maybe grow on me, but im not feeling it right now in the slightest. The last PSO2 trailer made me laugh -- the Humarl looked like a dude, and the Hunewm looked like a chick.

I blame the majority of the dislike for the HUmarl on that single video.

Seriously, everytime I see the HUmarl concept art I just think about the ugly face and disproportionate body they made....

NoiseHERO
Oct 18, 2011, 07:21 PM
I thought this was pretty obvious considering the fact they're calling them 'costumes' and the fact that they went through the effort to remove the stat bonuses from them (meaning that there are probably quite a bit more in store that had stats which ramped up depending on rarity).

Sometimes I feel like a lot of people commenting have no idea PSU even existed; costumes were a huge staple of that franchise and are the main DLC purchases for Sega. In fact the releasing of costumes was one of the few things keeping the Universe series floating.

But this is about why the default crap sucks and how a pattern will probably follow with the later outfits and THEN there will only be a few outfits that EVERYONE will wear and it doesn't help that everything is one piece on you can only change one part of the outfits color..

RemiusTA
Oct 18, 2011, 10:36 PM
This is what you call "overdesigning"

The artist has no confidence in his work, so he keeps adding more and more frivolous details and accessories to try and cover up his lack of design sense and anatomical knowledge

Good thing we can change the outfits and body proportions, I'm sure I can make something cool out of a Humar. Of course you have the admit they look way better in the game than they do in this art.

I would have done it more along the lines of this:

Woah. Nobody said the artist was a bad artist. Im just saying i dont dig the outfit.

Whoever is drawing these (if it's even a single person) quite obviously knows Anatomy and Body proportions, probably far better than you will, seeing as it's his job to make these outfits translate into 3D. The simple problem however is that just because you're an artist doesn't mean your a good fashion designer.

And i find it funny you blast the lead artist about proportions and anatomy, and then reference an UNproportioned picture as a substitute.

Edit: I think i found my issue: that Humarl picture bothers me because it takes all the shape out of her body. She just looks like a funny mixture of different clothing options, but none really do anything for eachother.

SephirothXer0
Oct 18, 2011, 10:43 PM
Woah. Nobody said the artist was a bad artist. Im just saying i dont dig the outfit.

Whoever is drawing these (if it's even a single person) quite obviously knows Anatomy and Body proportions, probably far better than you will, seeing as it's his job to make these outfits translate into 3D. The simple problem however is that just because you're an artist doesn't mean your a good fashion designer.

And i find it funny you blast the lead artist about proportions and anatomy, and then reference an UNproportioned picture as a substitute.

I didn't say he was a bad artist either. I said he wasn't confident in his design. It's a very common thing. And the drawing is purposefully deformed, but the anatomy is still solid. And just because someone is paid to draw something, doesn't make them the best. It means they knew the right people, which is paramount in the art world.

RemiusTA
Oct 18, 2011, 10:47 PM
Whatever. I will agree 100% that i have very few problems with the outfit in the Alpha Video now that i just watched it over. It just looks odd in the picture.

It's just a concept art picture, though. The only thing it's for is showcasing the outfit in detail to the people who will be dealing with it. Most concept art pictures ive seen from some games dont even look that good.

NoiseHERO
Oct 18, 2011, 11:47 PM
Yeah I'm not really seeing and consistent themes or ideas with the outfits...

Seems like they just made a mess...

A Japaneezy mess...

Maybe they were under PSO throwback fanboy fuel pressure and didn't know what to do.

RemiusTA
Oct 19, 2011, 12:02 AM
There's always expansion day.

NoGoBoard
Oct 19, 2011, 11:18 AM
I really like the HUmarl. She looks tough, and I know that's a problem for many of you. She isn't wearing frivolous clothes, either, so that's definitely a plus. She totally has the look of a fighter about her, and I love that.

Zorafim
Oct 19, 2011, 11:20 AM
Huh. I must be the only person who likes these designs. Must be because I'm used to WoW's mess.

For HUmarl, I'm kinda reminded of PSU's outfits. Yet somehow, I'd sooner make a character with this outfit than any of those.
For FOcaseal, I think they did a pretty good job making an ornate mechanical design. Kinda like the frilly newman stuff, this set makes the character look surreal. And somehow, I kinda like that on caseals. That IS a lot of flesh though, which is strange considering that the androids are supposed to be less fleshy this game.
For HUcast, well, I can't put my thoughts into words. I just kinda like that it's large and enlongated. It kinda reminds me of some mythological hero: All style, with little regard for substance, because he just doesn't need any more.

The only complaint I have with the outfits is that they're starter outfits. I don't mind seeing particularly abstract or detailed outfits, but not at the start of the game. We should be forced to start with something boring and non-detailed, and slowly bump up the detail until we get to the really ornate endgame stuff. If we start off with the cool stuff, then the designers will have to work even harder to make the really cool endgame stuff, meaning they'll have plenty of chances to jump the shark.

chibiLegolas
Oct 19, 2011, 11:30 AM
Wow! I love the new HUcast! Very different yet pleasing on the eyes. Yes he's got a lot of accessories that may or maynot be needed. But I can see swapping out parts and making him look more like the HUcasts of PSO & PSU designs for those who want a more humanoid look.

I'm also pleased with the FOcaseal. A nice blend of android parts that mimics a caster. I actually like her leg parts. It makes her look more distinct from everyone else in a battlefield (hopefully). Her legs reminds me of Zone of Enders, while her foot part reminds me of the new Apsy's plastic RAcaseal figure kit. And her groin really shouldn't bother you folks. She's a bot. It's sleek down there with no details with just a skin tone paint job. It's like looking at a section of a naked Barbie.

HUmarl's outfit doesn't suite a hunter for a player IMO. It does look a lot like something out of PSP2. I'm fine with this on a hunter NPC, but not for us players. And certainly NOT as a default (poster girl) design. I really like her top detailed on the upper right pic. (which is her tight shirt without the ruffles, shoulderpads, & outer layer of corset). And please, loose the skirt. But I actually like the pin stripe on her. You just can't have a lot of accessories with pin stripes (like she has now).

Randomness
Oct 19, 2011, 11:33 AM
Huh. I must be the only person who likes these designs. Must be because I'm used to WoW's mess.

For HUmarl, I'm kinda reminded of PSU's outfits. Yet somehow, I'd sooner make a character with this outfit than any of those.
For FOcaseal, I think they did a pretty good job making an ornate mechanical design. Kinda like the frilly newman stuff, this set makes the character look surreal. And somehow, I kinda like that on caseals. That IS a lot of flesh though, which is strange considering that the androids are supposed to be less fleshy this game.
For HUcast, well, I can't put my thoughts into words. I just kinda like that it's large and enlongated. It kinda reminds me of some mythological hero: All style, with little regard for substance, because he just doesn't need any more.

The only complaint I have with the outfits is that they're starter outfits. I don't mind seeing particularly abstract or detailed outfits, but not at the start of the game. We should be forced to start with something boring and non-detailed, and slowly bump up the detail until we get to the really ornate endgame stuff. If we start off with the cool stuff, then the designers will have to work even harder to make the really cool endgame stuff, meaning they'll have plenty of chances to jump the shark.

Good point. Maybe make simplified versions of these as starter outfits, and then have the fancy ones be obtainable mid-game somewhere? Though, if there's no level restrictions on outfits it probably doesn't matter a ton... but I get your point.

Macman
Oct 19, 2011, 12:21 PM
HUmarl makes me think of Reve with a head like that.

C-Shan
Oct 19, 2011, 04:00 PM
I think the HUmarl is fine. Just the "wings" on her make her look fat from the back.
FOcaseal looks a lot like FOnewearl imo. And the legs are a kind of put off (even though I get what they're going for).

HUcast I'm most disappointed with.
After we've gotten redesigns VERY close to the old PSO styles for everyone else we get... this.
Now I don't play HUcast much outside of Challenge mode, but this scares me for my favorite class, HUcaseal.

Yes with the new customization we can prooobably get that to look like PSO again, but in my eyes this is just Sega saying "PSU had casts right, PSO had them wrong".
Which I whole heartedly disagree with.

*edit*
The only way I'll be okay with this is (as someone alluded to earlier) if Sega makes the game F2P and just has an in game store ala TF2. (because DLC purchases are where the money is at)
That way I can just buy the static costumes for the classes that look nothing like their PSO counter parts and be done with it.

Zorafim
Oct 19, 2011, 04:26 PM
We already saw some HUcaseals. They have a humanish armored look, complete with shoulder pads. Not bad at all, and I'm surprised how non-dainty it looks.

RemiusTA
Oct 19, 2011, 04:37 PM
Outfits on this game probably wont look dainty. They'll just look unnecessary.

Like the unnecessary Zettai Ryouiki going on with Ramarl's outfit -- why not just give her pants? Oh, i forgot -- because she also defaults with glasses and is slightly pigeon toed for extra cuteness.

Or the unnecessary bottom half showing of the Hunewearl. Or the unnecessary...unnecessary of all the male casts.

Ecchi
Oct 19, 2011, 04:44 PM
Why complain about character models you can change?

Zorafim
Oct 19, 2011, 04:47 PM
Outfits on this game probably wont look dainty. They'll just look unnecessary.

Like the unnecessary Zettai Ryouiki going on with Ramarl's outfit -- why not just give her pants? Oh, i forgot -- because she also defaults with glasses and is slightly pigeon toed for extra cuteness.

Or the unnecessary bottom half showing of the Hunewearl. Or the unnecessary...unnecessary of all the male casts.

This is the same series with the jesters who shoot lightning bolts out of their feet, right? If there's one thing Sega likes, it's flamboyancy.

Why complain about character models you can change?

It makes sense if you can't change them to something you like. Kinda like how I felt with female fleshies in PSU. I had a TON of customization with those girls. Problem was, none of them looked like a warrior.
Hopefully, that won't be a problem with this game. I am noticing a lack of clothing options so far, but I don't think PSU had that many in beta anyway.

C-Shan
Oct 19, 2011, 05:13 PM
We already saw some HUcaseals. They have a humanish armored look, complete with shoulder pads. Not bad at all, and I'm surprised how non-dainty it looks.

Looking back, you're right. It was at the FO/RA/HU selection screen.
For some reason I've been under the impression that the implemented avatars aren't the final ones unless their concept art is shown. (I say that because there were a few classes that looked identical)

And seeing as back then the image for the HUcast is the same as the art we just got... it's probably not going to change.
Hopes... Deleted.

Back to the HUcaseal though... A little too much "flesh" for my tastes but I'm almost certain we'll be able to remove that.
Other than the Newman-esque pointy toed shoes it seems like a different, but similar HUcaseal.
Maybe because I never played with a sword as my HUcasy in PSO and that seems to be the default selection weapon.
I didn't see any shoulderpads, but a LOT less was pointy on her than on the HUcast.
I'll be waiting for her concept art to see just how "gundam" they've made her.

kyuuketsuki
Oct 19, 2011, 05:35 PM
I'll be waiting for her concept art to see just how "gundam" they've made her.
Huh? There's nothing "gundam" about the HUcaseal at all. Unless peoples' definition of "gundam" is very different from mine.

Then again, I don't see anything remotely "gundam" about the HUcast either... maybe a bit Zone of the Enders-ish.

Jinto117
Oct 19, 2011, 06:42 PM
I literally cannot for the love of me tell if anything is a cast or not. From the body down everything is these concept arts so far (expect for that gnarly looking FOnewm) looks mechanoid. And would it kill them to have something else besides gothic lolita FOcaseal's.

Selphea
Oct 19, 2011, 07:54 PM
The HUmarl outfit makes perfect sense. The HUnewearl look is more modern and super-skimpy, so the HUmarl look is a contrast, super-conservative with Elizabethan-inspired poofy shoulders and flared bottom.

You could probably mix and match the two for a nice middle ground. HUnewearl top and HUmarl bottom might go well, depending on how the belt on the HUmarl outfit looks.

RemiusTA
Oct 19, 2011, 08:02 PM
Well, i don't mind the lolita stuff as long as it isn't too cutsey extreme. Im not afraid of anything being that way becuase i've already seen Fonewearl, and she actually looks pretty awesome.

AzureBlaze
Oct 20, 2011, 12:21 AM
I guess the gripe is...
Yes it's just concept art, but concept art is what you want to put your BEST foot forward with. You want to choose the best colors to suit whatever you did, and select the outfit/parts that you think will do well with the widest audience. You want to showcase variety and distinctivenss amongst characters & classes. (if that's what's on the table) The colors chosen should compliment, not obscure what you've made--because it's just that "A first impression".

It's been sidelong confirmed that there will be more outfits guarenteed...
"Stats no longer tied to outfits" meant that people could get more than 1. Also the phrase "Clothing & parts as enemy drops". Plus, it would be preposterous to give out a billion body customizing options, then never allow anyone to change their clothes.

That's why my dissatisfaction here doesn't bother me allll that much. Yet.

HUcast--whoever said it before AGREED 100%.
They ran this poor guy COMPLETELY off the rails. Every other class we've had in another game took PSO elements and put them on the costume. I was so excited to see the HUmar in PSO2. This guy though is like...what? It's like some totally new unseen class. You can't recognize him from pso. My beef isn't with it looking like something from some other genre, my beef is with it taking absolutely ZIPOLA from PSO while all the other chars have pso elements. They even used pso NPC coloration on a lot of them.

HUmarl--
High. Heels. If you're trekking through the woods at a zillion mph you don't want to be in stillettos. Androids get a free pass because "they're built that way" but heels just kill any badazzery there might have been. (like the camp of people who disliked that Other M Metroid game that gave Samus heels for no reason) I actually DO like FOcaseals' footlessness / hooves. It's different anatomy. It adds a bit of interest.

Also, out of all the females, are EVERY SINGLE one of them except 2 (and one's an android) in either a skirt or a dress? (or using skirt like elements) I could be wrong here. What's up with all the skirts? PSO 1 had a RAcaseal who's skirt was invisible as one of her costumes. That was pretty interesting. If they could turn costume elements "on" or "off" in pso1, it ought to be possible here.

What I hope for / what would make me happy 100% (aside from the #1 issue: worldwide release simultaneous confirmation)

Give us ALL of the OLD PSO1 outfits for every class that had one. PSU flopped around like a fish hemming and hawing with "Hounds" sets to "imitate" and "throw a bone to" the PSO fans untill finally they got pushed over the edge and gave in, and did the REAL outfits and REAL cast/caseal faces which everyone loved. Don't make this mistake twice, pso2...just let out the pso1 stuff. It'll INSTANTLY calm down the fanboys/haters/etc. However, the concept art stage can't be expected to do something like this.

Rawr
Oct 20, 2011, 01:03 AM
I think all three of those designs are pretty rad. I especially like the HUcast and the FOcaseal. Both of those ones I think are great.

C-Shan
Oct 20, 2011, 02:30 AM
Not sure if I'm gonna get rage here but...

From what I've seen, the old fogeys who've had accounts here for a long time seem to be "Meh, so long as I can make it look like PSO through tweaks I'll be okay"
While the majority of the "new" accounts are welcoming everything with open arms.

And now, for something completely different.
The thing that I HATED about PSU was the fact that you could only guess what class someone was in a lobby. The only time you really got a definitive answer was once they whipped out some class specific weapons.
PSO, while SEVERELY limiting in what you could look like, you KNEW what you were getting when people joined your party.

Where am I going with this? Parts.
I am SEVERELY skeptical of Cast Parts.
From what I can gather so far, the only real way to tell a FOcast from a RAcast is by their head hood and their "cloak-like" legs. Both of which will undoubtedly be Parts. Which means the iconic differences will slowly vanish as people tweak their RA/FOcasts.
You can't judge on color, since that's customizable.
You can't judge on Parts, since those are replaceable.
And both casts are bulky as all hell. (One of which forgivably)

There's only one way I see them getting past this problem for the casts (or atleast these casts, maybe FO/RAcaseals too).
Class and Gender specific parts.

The stuff a RAcast can put on is different aesthetically from the stuff a FOcast can put on, and you can't cross equip items.

That way they can maintain a consistent "look" for the FOcast to have that cloak thing, and the RAcast to look like a fuggin' TANK.

NoiseHERO
Oct 20, 2011, 10:43 AM
I'm not feeling that whole everyone should look like their class mentality. In fact I liked that everyone and everything in PSU looked like you were in some dance club in the village. Just that most of the outfit designs in general could've been better looking.

I'm sure it makes sense that in the future when your armor is made out of light and has no real flaws or added disadvantage like weight and shape. You don't need to worry much about your appearance.

It's like the titty slider all over again, Some people think it should be this one politically correct looking thing, but it's just resulting in LESS customization. In most games people usually can't wait to throw away their class specific appearance anyway.

Your only real support is that this isn't PSU, but since we can wear any outfit we want from any class, It'll probably just be worse for you when bustersword swinging hunewms are wearing fomar clothes and suddenly you can't tell their Class, Gender OR Race.

sugarFO
Oct 20, 2011, 10:52 AM
HUmarl--
High. Heels. If you're trekking through the woods at a zillion mph you don't want to be in stillettos. Androids get a free pass because "they're built that way" but heels just kill any badazzery there might have been. (like the camp of people who disliked that Other M Metroid game that gave Samus heels for no reason) I actually DO like FOcaseals' footlessness / hooves. It's different anatomy. It adds a bit of interest.

Also, out of all the females, are EVERY SINGLE one of them except 2 (and one's an android) in either a skirt or a dress? (or using skirt like elements) I could be wrong here. What's up with all the skirts? PSO 1 had a RAcaseal who's skirt was invisible as one of her costumes. That was pretty interesting. If they could turn costume elements "on" or "off" in pso1, it ought to be possible here.

It always makes me laugh at those screaming for "realism" when the entire game and series is fantasy. There's no point in questioning the practicality of an outfit, it's there for aesthetics and player enjoyment. You hate high heels but give the FOcaseal, who barely has feet to begin with, a pass? Come on, lol.

NoiseHERO
Oct 20, 2011, 11:04 AM
It always makes me laugh at those screaming for "realism" when the entire game and series is fantasy. There's no point in questioning the practicality of an outfit, it's there for aesthetics and player enjoyment. You hate high heels but give the FOcaseal, who barely has feet to begin with, a pass? Come on, lol.

He probably means "I don't wanna know what generation I live in where "masculine" giant robots with high heels are cool. Fantasy or realism or not..."

sugarFO
Oct 20, 2011, 02:08 PM
He probably means "I don't wanna know what generation I live in where "masculine" giant robots with high heels are cool. Fantasy or realism or not..."

I don't see any high heels on the HUcast. I believe he was talking about the HUmarl unless I'm mistaken?

C-Shan
Oct 20, 2011, 03:38 PM
There's a slight difference between the titty slider and Parts/clothes.
With the titty slider, you're ALWAYS WORKING WITH TITTIES.
The boobs won't randomly sink inwards, or turn into friggin knives, or beachballs. They'll still be boobs. Flat-chested or big-breasted they're still boobs.

With Parts/Clothes (With no class/race restrictions), you COULD make said boobies look like beach balls, or knives, or sink inwards (metaphorically speaking).

Is the identity of the Cast line really going to be just "an amalgamation of human-ish pieces"?
HUcast used to be "Body builder".
RAcast used to be "TANK".
HUcaseal was "Ninja".
RAcaseal was "Maid".

They all had a distinct visual look.

The new FOcas- line seems to try and take too much from other classes for their identity.
-eal being closer to RAcaseal and FOnewearl.
-t being a combination of RAcast and FOmar.
And as much as I dislike the new HUcast look, atleast it's unique compared to the others.

Your only real support is that this isn't PSU, but since we can wear any outfit we want from any class, It'll probably just be worse for you when bustersword swinging hunewms are wearing fomar clothes and suddenly you can't tell their Class, Gender OR Race.

Now I'm very frightened.
Did the Alphas get to test clothes? Do we know they if we can use another class/race/gender's apparel?

Zorafim
Oct 20, 2011, 04:49 PM
You could choose any outfit from any class, no matter what class you chose. The outfit you're given is just a suggestion. However, each outfit seems to be both gender and race locked. So your HUmarl can look like a FOmarl, but not a HUnewearl or HUmar.
Of course, they didn't finish a few of the outfits, and they didn't have shops. So we don't know if higher level clothing is class specific, or if any outfit is race specific.

C-Shan
Oct 20, 2011, 04:59 PM
Hrmm... then the problem is still there.

You should be able to tell what's in your party BEFORE they have to bring out their weapons.

That is... unless they go the PSP2 route and allow you to pick and choose what weapons you're going to focus on. (That was the ONE thing I liked from the PSU series, but it would completely remove the point of having the classes divided. [outside of MAYBE Tech caps based on class])

NoiseHERO
Oct 20, 2011, 06:31 PM
You can see your weapons out in the lobby though.

C-Shan
Oct 20, 2011, 07:26 PM
Oh, didn't notice that.

I'll assume it's just the "current equip" that shows.
And if they have something that turns out to be this game's Charge Mechguns (ie. everyone has them and uses them) problem arises again.

(Though assuming there's NO common weapons the problem is non-existant, and showing weapons in the lobby does help.)

•Col•
Oct 21, 2011, 01:24 AM
You can see your weapons out in the lobby though.

That's not going to be in the final version.

Regardless..... There's still that simple feature that was in PSU that let you scroll through the info of other people and show their class above their character.... :l

Mike
Oct 21, 2011, 01:29 AM
I believe the character info displayed when you lock on to a player in a lobby also shows the type/job for that character.

Zyrusticae
Oct 21, 2011, 09:31 AM
I don't understand why you NEED to know what class someone else is at a glance.

This isn't a PvP game where that sort of thing is absolutely MANDATORY. Nor, for that matter, is this a traditional tank-healer-DPS trinity game where you are DEAD if you don't have a healer or a tank.

In other words, it is of almost zero importance. Chances are, you can play the game with a full party of rangers or forces and do just fine (though the odds of that party composition happening spontaneously are obviously extremely low).

amtalx
Oct 21, 2011, 10:21 AM
It's not critical, but it's generally considered bad design to obfuscate basic information. That's true of all software, not just games. If race/class is not immediately identifiable, it adds an unnecessary step to finding one of the most fundamental pieces of information about another character.

RemiusTA
Oct 21, 2011, 11:04 AM

This isn't a PvP game where that sort of thing is absolutely MANDATORY. Nor, for that matter, is this a traditional tank-healer-DPS trinity game where you are DEAD if you don't have a healer or a tank.

In other words, it is of almost zero importance. Chances are, you can play the game with a full party of rangers or forces and do just fine (though the odds of that party composition happening spontaneously are obviously extremely low).

It very well may make a difference. In fact, if they design the game well, it could make a very decent difference.

it's needed in this game especially because characters can no longer be defined by outfit or race.

BIG OLAF
Oct 21, 2011, 12:11 PM
it's needed in this game especially because characters can no longer be defined by outfit or race.

Unless you have eyes like a hawk, and can see pointy ears from a mile away.

Or, you're talking about how any race can effectively play any class, and the outfits being interchangeable (I think), in which case the information would be necessary at-a-glance.

Anyway, If the ability to see a person's class instantly is able to be implemented, then it should be.

yoshiblue
Oct 21, 2011, 12:35 PM
Why not add a right click option that allows you to see their character bio. That or put the option in the menu somewhere. Like MH Tri's search feature.

kyuuketsuki
Oct 21, 2011, 12:51 PM
So your HUmarl can look like a FOmarl, but not a HUnewearl or HUmar.
Of course, they didn't finish a few of the outfits, and they didn't have shops. So we don't know if higher level clothing is class specific, or if any outfit is race specific.
Huh? In the alpha, there were HUmarls in the HUnewearl default outfit. Granted, the default HUmarl outfit wasn't implemented, but I'd say that's a good indication that outfits are not race-locked.

BoltFromTheBlue
Oct 21, 2011, 01:13 PM
I'm not for Class-specific costumes(actually, I'm looking forward to incorporating FOcast legs into my RAcast as hover-oriented thruster legs), but I agree to the idea that Classes should be easily recoginzable.

"Current Equip" weapon can provide some clue, but since there's a gunslash(for all Classes) it isn't perfect.
Player Lock-on is...Well, it's very unpopular among Alpha testers(unintended Lock-On proved annoying even in Lobbies) and going to be abolished.

I told SEGA as an Alpha tester that Class and Level info should be displayed ALONG WITH Character Name, so as to be easily recognizable without toggling.
I'm waiting for Alpha 2 test to see if I have to tell it again.

•Col•
Oct 21, 2011, 01:28 PM
Wtf.... JUST USE THE SAME DAMN THING THEY USED IN PSO/PSU.

Names appear over other players' heads. By pushing the Ctrl(?) key, it would show the character name + level. Clicking it again would show the Class + Class level. Clicking it again would show the characters unique IDs. Clicking again would remove the text. Clicking it again would make the names reappear. And so on.

It was perfectly fine. Don't complicate things.

yoshiblue
Oct 21, 2011, 02:53 PM
Well excuse me if I didn't or never heard of doing that before.

C-Shan
Oct 21, 2011, 03:32 PM
Wtf.... JUST USE THE SAME DAMN THING THEY USED IN PSO/PSU.

Names appear over other players' heads. By pushing the Ctrl(?) key, it would show the character name + level. Clicking it again would show the Class + Class level. Clicking it again would show the characters unique IDs. Clicking again would remove the text. Clicking it again would make the names reappear. And so on.

It was perfectly fine. Don't complicate things.

You're thinking of Tab to sift through what was visible.

And in PSO you KNEW what classes they were (which is what we're talking about). The only reason it was important there was to check levels, but even THEN you could essentially level lock your games to at max 80.

And with what someone just said that HUmarls were the ones in another classes' costume, I'm asking the Alphas what other classes could do this. If it was EVERY class, or just ones that didn't have their models in yet.

Because if it's the latter, they probably just added "Yeah HUmarl can wear this too for now" code so that people could play the class before they could see it.
And this would imply you CAN'T cross class parts/clothes which completely removes my problem as it ALSO implies Parts would not be "one size fits all"

Mitz
Oct 21, 2011, 06:05 PM
To me, the HUmarl and HUcaseal concepts look fine. I agree that the HUmarl model could lose the skirt though. I know they want differentiate between HUmarls and HUnes but there are more... elegant ways to achieve that in my opinion. The HUcast model looks unappealing though. Not because it does, because it doesn't, really. But because it differs so strongly from the previous PSO model. It looks like something inspired from years of Gundam and successors. Standard mech. That being said, PSO's HUcast model was very generic as well but that's basically what CASTs were. Humanoid-like androids. Not perfect, but built to a certain model. Not gundam-like juggernauts. So we'll have to see ingame how this will work out.

kyuuketsuki
Oct 22, 2011, 02:27 AM
I told SEGA as an Alpha tester that Class and Level info should be displayed ALONG WITH Character Name, so as to be easily recognizable without toggling.
Assuming I'm understanding what you're saying correctly, I have to disagree. It should definitely require a toggle (preferably a simple keystroke). While it's nice to be able to quickly see a character's level and race/class combo, most of the time I would prefer just to have the name displayed to reduce screen clutter.

NoiseHERO
Oct 22, 2011, 12:17 PM
All the games had the name, class, level, AND ID display toggle.

I don't know why my character should have to look like a total douche, or NOT look like a total douche SPECIFICALLY VISUALLY...JUST because some guy HAS to know what class I am to want to play with me.

The name display toggle, and the currently equipped weapon should work fine enough. And you know most of the time if you're even bothering to recruit someone BEFORE a mission you're obviously talking to them and getting ready first. Or even then you've already started the mission and someone that fits your party requirements joined. You'd still know what they are the second they pull out a weapon. (especially in PSU where this apparently had the biggest problem but it shouldn't have mattered either way because everyone just had to spam one PA. wow that rhymed)

There's just too many ways to know someones class, and too many situations where you wouldn't have to, or have the chance to look at their character's clothes for it to be absolutely necessary.

Anything further would just go back to players wanting OTHER players to ALWAYS look a certain way. And that'll just lead into that retarded never ending "LOL ATMOSPHERE" issue.

C-Shan
Oct 22, 2011, 02:53 PM
^ ^ ^ Rage much?

And if PSO2 becomes what PSU did (SPAM ONE PA OVER AND OVER) the game is as good as dead.
Granted PSO became that once people found Charge Mechguns (with Hit%) were purchasable, but outside that the classes had distinct tiers and abilities.

Not to mention the weird skill limitations. If you had 3 Casts and 1 HUmar you could know for certain, and at a glance, you wouldn't be relying on Resta or have Shifta/Deband on constantly.
If that HUmar can look like a FOmar however... you think quite the opposite.
You start relying on things that never seem to happen (or WILL EVER happen).

Tab to view Class was a horrible work around they put into PSU simply because they made clothing so universally equipable.
Granted there, the current equip probably told you more about the person's PLAYSTYLE than anything else, seeing as in later versions you could mix and match your weapons.

It goes further than just "Who is playing the class I want in my party?" to the point of "Okay, if this is my party, what do we have and what are we missing?"

But, no. Tab is the answer to every single question we ever have. Want to see their HP in numbers instead of a green bar? Tab.
How about their MP? Tab.
What about their stats, to see if they have enough DFP+HP to survive this difficulty? Tab.
(yes, I'm harping on you at this point)

Tab to see class is a bandaid over a broken bone.
Use it enough and everything will seem okay, but the problem is still there, and you haven't addressed it.

Zyrusticae
Oct 22, 2011, 03:15 PM
This is a seriously false dilemma.

This is, again, NOT the type of game where your play is made or broken by the presence of certain classes.

Also,

Not to mention the weird skill limitations. If you had 3 Casts and 1 HUmar you could know for certain, and at a glance, you wouldn't be relying on Resta or have Shifta/Deband on constantly.
^ this made me lol. Seriously. You're looking at things in HINDSIGHT and treating them as though they will be true in the future.

I mean, hey, let's start with the fact that CASTS CAN USE TECHNIQUES NOW. Which makes the quoted example hilariously out-of-date and not at all relevant to PSO2.

Secondly, if appearances are indicative of nothing... then you will learn not to use them! Why is that so difficult a concept to grasp?

Finally, you should not be relying on your teammates in any case. This is not that kind of game. Sure, teamwork will get you places - but it is not a requirement.

I will repeat this however many times it takes for people to understand it: this is NOT a holy trinity game. This is NOT a game where you MUST ABSOLUTELY MUST have a certain class composition to get anywhere. Given that, knowing what class your teammates are is of very little importance.

And besides that, you only need to know what class they are before the game even starts, and you can do that in the pre-mission lobby in any case, so I'm not sure what all the whining's about.

NoiseHERO
Oct 22, 2011, 03:22 PM
^ ^ ^ Rage much?

Nah, just wanted to sound like what I was talking about is as big a deal as you make this to be.

And if PSO2 becomes what PSU did (SPAM ONE PA OVER AND OVER) the game is as good as dead.
Granted PSO became that once people found Charge Mechguns (with Hit%) were purchasable, but outside that the classes had distinct tiers and abilities.

Tab to view Class was a horrible work around they put into PSU simply because they made clothing so universally equipable.
Granted there, the current equip probably told you more about the person's PLAYSTYLE than anything else, seeing as in later versions you could mix and match your weapons.

It goes further than just "Who is playing the class I want in my party?" to the point of "Okay, if this is my party, what do we have and what are we missing?"

But, no. Tab is the answer to every single question we ever have. Want to see their HP in numbers instead of a green bar? Tab.
How about their MP? Tab.
What about their stats, to see if they have enough DFP+HP to survive this difficulty? Tab.
(yes, I'm harping on you at this point)

Tab to see class is a bandaid over a broken bone.
Use it enough and everything will seem okay, but the problem is still there, and you haven't addressed it.

Tabbing to toggle the display takes no energy, and your reasoning for wanting to know "whose in my party" isn't exactly any different it's still in general "What classes I want to be in my party, or what classes in my party should be doing what." I play with people, not their class.

If a whole party of rangers can get a job done, and a mixed party can get the job done, you're only caring about how fast you can do it and or how good you're doing it. If you want to be perfectly efficient you should be playing with your friends OR setting up a plan either way which includes these dozens of obvious and easy ways to know what class someone is assuming you didn't already know by then.

As I said, there's a LOOOOOT of ways to know someones class other than appearance, and it takes no energy or drama find out what their class is through the normal process of setting up the party alone.

Either way, it's not like we're getting ALL class locked costumes anyway, so there's not really anything I can tell you. It seems like such a stupid and tiny nitpick-ish problem and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Okay that was mean, I don't even know you like that. But it's really not that serious, compared to other things we whine about with this game already.

C-Shan
Oct 22, 2011, 04:02 PM
Incoming TL;DR

I will repeat this however many times it takes for people to understand it: this is NOT a holy trinity game. This is NOT a game where you MUST ABSOLUTELY MUST have a certain class composition to get anywhere. Given that, knowing what class your teammates are is of very little importance.

Because just spamming one PA over and over and over makes the game fun.
Because screw FOrce Healing, my CAST can do that himself.
Because screw higher level buffs, level 10s are fine.
Because screw debuffs making it so I don't die in one hit. I should learn to dodge.
Because PSO is about a one man army, and not a group of Hunters.

Take your single-player mind back to your consoles.
Just because you can do everything yourself doesn't mean you'll be good at everything, OR that you SHOULD do everything by yourself.

Every class is different for a reason.
Just because you want to Rambo through, not giving a frack about your teammates besides their DPS, does not mean everyone else wants to.

Tabbing to toggle the display takes no energy, and your reasoning for wanting to know "whose in my party" isn't exactly any different it's still in general "What classes I want to be in my party, or what classes in my party should be doing what." I play with people, not their class.

If a whole party of rangers can get a job done, and a mixed party can get the job done, you're only caring about how fast you can do it and or how good you're doing it. If you want to be perfectly efficient you should be playing with your friends OR setting up a plan either way which includes these dozens of obvious and easy ways to know what class someone is assuming you didn't already know by then.

As I said, there's a LOOOOOT of ways to know someones class other than appearance, and it takes no energy or drama find out what their class is through the normal process of setting up the party alone.

Well when the game is just hacking and slashing up to the next level (or hunting that singular item from one monster), EVERYONE eventually wants to get through the missions faster.

Happened in PSO. Undoubtedly happened in PSU. It'll happen again in PSO2.
And knowing at a glance will quickly tell you if your party will move fast or slow.

PS.
Hitting tab with your pinky takes more energy than simply continuing to look at the screen ;)

Either way, it's not like we're getting ALL class locked costumes anyway, so there's not really anything I can tell you. It seems like such a stupid and tiny nitpick-ish problem and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Okay that was mean, I don't even know you like that. But it's really not that serious, compared to other things we whine about with this game already.
When and where did you find out that costumes were class locked? (HU/RA/FO)
All I've heard was that HUmarl could wear HUnewearls costume while she was still in dev.
And while Class Locking them does save a bit of the trouble (since they're inherently gender locked too) it really only means costumes can be shared between newm/mar and newearl/marl.
But think about the DRASTIC difference in shape between FOmar and FOnewm.
How in the HELL are they going to let them both use the costume?
It's not like they're building them one-size-fits-all anymore. Are they going to enforce the newm's body style? Are they going to enforce the mar's body style?
OR are they going to be smart about it and actually treat it like clothing where both classes would NOT look similar while wearing it? (ie. newm still has his shoes, hat, and arm on hip, while mar is still standing tall, robe covering his feet and hands)

From what I've heard (about HUmarl), it sounds like they're just going to body swap (then apply proportions) single models. Which makes it rather difficult, not only to tell class, but also to maintain a look on a character via the FOmar/newm example.
If they go about it the smart way (above) then there's no real problem with costumes because every class will STILL look different regardless of if they wear the same costume.

NoiseHERO
Oct 22, 2011, 04:15 PM
Again you want your party the way you want it, it's going to take a lot more than "HEY YOU THE HUNTER AND RANGER, JOIN MY PARTY AND WE'LL BE PERFECT" You'll want to know their specialties, the weapons they normally use, their level and their skill set up with the level OF those skills and how whose going to support what during your plan to go through this mission as fast as possible. Something only necessary if you're just trying too hard or playing an event mission (which I wouldn't do with a stranger anyway.)

At this point you're just saying you need a reason to be accurately prejudice. To tell how someone will perfectly fit into your strategy just from their appearance. For all you know I may be a hunter sure, cause of my clothes. But maybe I always fight bare handed without my weapons. But that's okay because I'm a hunter right? For you that would have to become a big deal of a problem if you're not checking out how I play-NO WAIT you could also find out someones class in the same process.

It's NOT that serious.

And I meant costumes were NOT class locked, assuming it'd be possible that there might like what? one or two special class locked costumes like some other games have.

RemiusTA
Oct 22, 2011, 04:33 PM
Man will you guys shut the hell up

Tab/Ctrl/Player Info, have the damn classification (Hu/Ra/Fo/earl/newcasmarwhatever) And we're done. There's less of a reason to exclude it than the include it, especially when you realize the only reason you'd exclude it is probably for some dipshit reason anyway.

PSO had it, PSOBB had it, PSU had it, PSP had it, PSP2 had it, PSP2i had it, and ive never played it but im positive PSZ had it too. I think that about sums this argument up. Talk about something else now please.

Finally, you should not be relying on your teammates in any case. This is not that kind of game.

hahahaha

Zyrusticae
Oct 23, 2011, 12:09 AM
hahahaha
Yeah, prove me wrong, why don't you?

The problem with relying on your teammates, in a game as fast-paced as this, is that you are inevitably going to become a burden. If you're too dependent on your teammates, you can't improve your skills individually. And especially if you're too dependent on your teammates, you're going to die a lot since you're used to them keeping things off your back.

I noticed this especially in modern MMOs. The worst players are the ones who blame their teammates for their own failings. At least there, they actually have some ground to stand on, since the tank or the healer are usually 100% required and depended upon to do their jobs in order for the group to function. In a game like PSO2, however, there is no excuse.

Edit: To clarify, there's a difference between teamwork and relying on others. The former just adds to combat efficiency. The latter is a crippling defect.

Selphea
Oct 23, 2011, 12:32 AM
Just do what other MMOs do and have a class icon next to the name and level =x It can't be that hard to make a set of 30px x 30px icons - 1 sword, 1 gun and 1 cane

Macman
Oct 23, 2011, 06:03 PM
ive never played it but im positive PSZ had it too.PSZ didn't even have a lobby system. You just made a party and waited for people to join it before starting the game.

Zorafim
Oct 24, 2011, 10:57 AM
Man. I just entered this thread two seconds ago and I can already feel the hate. The hell happened while I was gone?

NoiseHERO
Oct 24, 2011, 11:00 AM
Man. I just entered this thread two seconds ago and I can already feel the hate. The hell happened while I was gone?

Just sega's irritable concept designs and stubborn nit picking psycho fanboys clashing opinions.

Selphea
Oct 24, 2011, 11:03 AM
irritable concept designs

Be glad it wasn't this (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2588762&postcount=513)

NoiseHERO
Oct 24, 2011, 11:17 AM
Be glad it wasn't this (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2588762&postcount=513)

Why WASN'T it this??

But yeah I'm talking about how fugly all the dude outfits were which I shouldn't have to elaborate on because I bitched about that this whole thread.

The girls outfits I think look just as bad but I don't care if there's ecchi or not since I don't really play as girl characters... But it does bug me thinking of the girl characters I would at least make for show, and they can only look like barbarian strippers from space. e_e

yoshiblue
Oct 24, 2011, 03:58 PM
Well then, my mind is now blow on the outfits they put in the game. Sheesh...

Cast Soldier
Oct 25, 2011, 04:40 PM
The Humarl reminds me of the HUnewm in the trailer.