PDA

View Full Version : Say it aint so!

atrimiselgnacra
Oct 17, 2011, 08:06 PM
I've herd from a friend, who is also a huge PSO fan from the Dreamcast days, that there is a rumor of PSO2 not coming to America. Has anyone herd this rumor, or herd of anything to the contrary? I'd love for this to come to America, and have an auto translate much like FFXI does, so that American and Japanese players and run around together: I don't care if they're 50 levels higher than me by that time, either!

Hatemachine
Oct 17, 2011, 08:18 PM
First of all it's HEARD, what you used was the spelling for a description about a large grouping, and second, no this rumor is total bullshit, and even if it ISN'T we already have confirmation that the games text has an english translation option for it.

so even IF this is true it's still gonna work just fine on a regular PC anywhere in the world, as it's far easier for a PC to deconstruct and disable region locking than consoles, so you could just buy a JP copy and install it, OR wait for instruction about what to do to play it in the US on this site.

if people were willing to find a way to make Xenoblade work on American Wii consoles, you can bet your ASS people here will make it happen for this title.

so no worries, where there's a will there's a way, and Phantasy star fans are as willful as they get when it comes to their favored series.

NoiseHERO
Oct 17, 2011, 08:18 PM
Okay.

No though.

atrimiselgnacra
Oct 17, 2011, 08:54 PM
First of all it's HEARD, what you used was the spelling for a description about a large grouping, and second, no this rumor is total bullshit, and even if it ISN'T we already have confirmation that the games text has an english translation option for it.

so even IF this is true it's still gonna work just fine on a regular PC anywhere in the world, as it's far easier for a PC to deconstruct and disable region locking than consoles, so you could just buy a JP copy and install it, OR wait for instruction about what to do to play it in the US on this site.

if people were willing to find a way to make Xenoblade work on American Wii consoles, you can bet your ASS people here will make it happen for this title.

so no worries, where there's a will there's a way, and Phantasy star fans are as willful as they get when it comes to their favored series.
I apologize, I'm not the most grammatically correct person, but I try and will admit when I am wrong. But thank you for your answers, and that does make a lot of sense, now that I have all the facts. So thank you, again.

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 17, 2011, 10:25 PM
The straight poop, is that the game is unconfirmed for a North American release. The devs have said outright that they want to release it everywhere, and it appears to be a matter of scheduling.

The greatest likelihood, is that we will be able to play the game, and without more trouble getting into it, than anyone else. No idea why Sega's holding back the announcement.

Norco
Oct 18, 2011, 04:56 AM
They do english updates on their facebook page from time to time. I'd say thats some hope.

NegaTsukasa
Oct 18, 2011, 09:03 AM
Not going to happen. BS is what it is. For one, think about it... PSO and PSU were marketed to America. why would they not market PSO2? It would be stupid from a marketing and an anniversary stand point to the fans if they ceased English copies. This game and the company's ambitions are/is already too large scale to just have it restricted to Japan at this point.

Now, the Beta and such might be restricted. but we don't know for sure. the updates are a surprise every time they are released.

•Col•
Oct 18, 2011, 11:37 AM
Not going to happen. BS is what it is. For one, think about it... PSO and PSU were marketed to America. why would they not market PSO2? It would be stupid from a marketing and an anniversary stand point to the fans if they ceased English copies. This game and the company's ambitions are/is already too large scale to just have it restricted to Japan at this point.

Because PSU/PSP/PSZ/PSP2 sales in the US were crappy? As a company, cost vs. gain is always an issue. It seems to me like they'd make a decent profit without much risk if they released the game in the US... But that's just my view. Who knows what Sega of Japan is thinking?

Honestly wouldn't be too surprised if PSO2 stayed Japan-only.

That said, the game will most likely make it's way to US/EU eventually.

NoiseHERO
Oct 18, 2011, 11:43 AM
People should get the JP version either way...

If there are global servers, you can still play with your friends. If not, you're still on the non-crappy version OHOHOHO!

I'll probably get both.

RemiusTA
Oct 18, 2011, 12:04 PM
Yeah, ill probably pira-imean buy both versions too

Macman
Oct 18, 2011, 02:00 PM
Because PSU/PSP/PSZ/PSP2 sales in the US were crappy?I'm tired of companies thinking their product will sell with next to zero effort in advertising, then throwing a huge hissyfit and refusing to export when it doesn't.

yoshiblue
Oct 18, 2011, 02:02 PM
Not my fault they don't throw out ads.

RemiusTA
Oct 18, 2011, 02:14 PM
to be fair, Advertising PSU would have just been as, if not more, cheesy as the regular game is.

And LOL@ advertising PSP2. It would never find an audience willing to accept it -- what is targeted at otaku anime gamers in Japan (PSP2/i) only translates to "little girls" over here going through their pop tween phase.

Enforcer MKV
Oct 18, 2011, 02:55 PM
As much as I hate to agree with it....THIS^ ^ ^

NoiseHERO
Oct 18, 2011, 03:02 PM
If they can advertise Kingdom Hearts over here, I'm sure a bunch of kids that watch Cartoon Network, Nick, Disney channels and G4TV would be captured by whatever this game is going to look like when it's done.

Of course this isn't Sonick lolol so SEGA will just continue to gamble by using us, random online articles and a couple magazines for their advertising.

Or at least put a PSO2 advertisement in Sonic Generations, the Sonic Adventure series had a number of PSO ads. (and ads for SOAP shoes) :\

Vashyron
Oct 18, 2011, 04:40 PM
Got Ring?

Better damn hope they bring it over attached to JP as a Global Server.

Regardless I see it most likely coming non Globally. Cash in their pockets from just the PSO title alone. ...Then their track record kicks in. (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2067254&postcount=146) (+ *Insert 2008 Travesties and beyond here that only get worse.*)

I'll be genuinely surprised if the servers turn out "Global" with no strings attached, probably the only way I can believe they may have even tried to turn over a "new leaf." Otherwise Hello JP server.

Macman
Oct 18, 2011, 05:22 PM
Let's not forget closing the US/EU servers halfway in.

Anon_Fire
Oct 18, 2011, 05:23 PM
If they can advertise Kingdom Hearts over here, I'm sure a bunch of kids that watch Cartoon Network, Nick, Disney channels and G4TV would be captured by whatever this game is going to look like when it's done.

Of course this isn't Sonick lolol so SEGA will just continue to gamble by using us, random online articles and a couple magazines for their advertising.

Or at least put a PSO2 advertisement in Sonic Generations, the Sonic Adventure series had a number of PSO ads. (and ads for SOAP shoes) :\

That's the problem there, all Sega West cares about is Sonic.

SephirothXer0
Oct 18, 2011, 05:39 PM
That's the problem there, all Sega West cares about is Sonic.

Well can you blame them if that's all anyone will pay for?

GreenArcher
Oct 18, 2011, 06:45 PM
Sega announces PSO2: English edition!

Comes complete with lack of support, lack of care towards hacking, and all the drip feed content you'll ever need*!

*disclaimer: drip feed content will drip slower and slower, and you probably won't even see half of it

Porkspect
Oct 18, 2011, 08:52 PM
it aint so!

RemiusTA
Oct 18, 2011, 10:27 PM

Well, 2 things.

1) Square Enix, money, and a localization team that doesn't suck...if a game is releasing in North America, they'll SIMULTANEOUSLY develop both versions of the game. And if they DONT, the english version usually ships improved over the japanese version...and then they'll probably pull an "international version" or "final mix" version release with all the english improvements and then some that the japanese didn't get (with English voice acting, since foreign always sounds cooler), while we youtube and bitch to ourselves.

and 2) Kingdom Hearts had half it's entire body through the door to the west since it was already a Disney collaboration...there aren't too many companies they could have possibly sided with that would have given them results like that.

As far as this game is from PSP2i's bullshit, it's still pretty damn niche for its own good. Don't get me wrong -- PSO was too, but it was much easier to swallow. PSO characters wern't wearing the ridiculous mashup stuff that the PSO2 characters are wearing now. It was far more simple and easy on the eyes. Not to mention, PSO had a much more "fantasy-realistic" aura about it, while recently Phantasy Star has been more about showcasing the most ridiculous animations + outfits you can rig onto a model.

PSO2 Advertisements and whatnot in other Sonic Team games like Generations would be amazing, but unfortunately Sonic Team isn't in charge of this game....which is a real pity, because Generations is looking like a fucking preorder, and i havent been able to say that in about a Sonic Team game in about 10 years.

And Sonic Team used to advertise their games within their games because they used to be very creative. Not only did Sonic Adventure 2 have PSO ads in it, it had secret PSO costumes for the characters, and a special Tails Chao you could obtain as cross-content in SA2:B from a quest in PSOGC. But games don't do awesome shit like that anymore, soooo

Golto
Oct 19, 2011, 08:02 AM
Sega did spend in 1 day more money advertising that stupid horror kinect game than they ever did with psu in the USA. If they bring pso2 to the US would they even have 1 commerical run?

RemiusTA
Oct 19, 2011, 11:39 AM
i wouldnt count on it.

kyuuketsuki
Oct 19, 2011, 05:44 PM
Not only did Sonic Adventure 2 have PSO ads in it, it had secret PSO costumes for the characters, and a special Tails Chao you could obtain as cross-content in SA2:B from a quest in PSOGC. But games don't do awesome shit like that anymore, soooo
I really do miss when game companies would do awesome stuff like that. Now it's just, you pre-order the game to get some lame worthless/game-breaking bonuses.

I would say that PSO2 is actually more likely to appeal to a wide-audience than PSO ever did, however.

RemiusTA
Oct 19, 2011, 08:13 PM
I don't really think so. The game looks alot more niche now than PSO did back in its day.

Not to mention, when PSO released, it was gorgeous. If PSO2 is released here, it's going to be considered ugly to most of the people who are gassed up on the super engine games, and Westerners take graphics much more seriously than japanese, obviously. Not to mention, this game is far more "anime" than PSO was in terms of character designs.

PSO2 has alot of strikes against it at this point. I wouldn't worry about it too much though.

Garnet_Moon
Oct 23, 2011, 11:50 PM
I've herd from a friend, who is also a huge PSO fan from the Dreamcast days, that there is a rumor of PSO2 not coming to America. Has anyone herd this rumor, or herd of anything to the contrary? I'd love for this to come to America, and have an auto translate much like FFXI does, so that American and Japanese players and run around together: I don't care if they're 50 levels higher than me by that time, either!
PSP2:I didn't come to America because of pirates for the first game. PSO was a big hit in America, and PSO2 will be no exception.

I mean, it's not like it can bomb as bad as Final Fantasy XIV did.

PSO2 is coming to America. Whether you're stuck on a dying server ala-PSU or not, is the question. My suggestion is find out if your friends will be playing this for a decade like the ones on PSO:BB are still doing. If so, I'd suggest getting the JPN version if they don't have globally shared servers.