PDA

View Full Version : Miwa Shirow should be PSO2's art director.

Cayenne
Oct 18, 2011, 05:19 PM
After seeing his work a few months ago and now seeing the new concept art today, Miwa should do the art because I believe he gets what PSO is about.

TBH, I would've been happy if PSO2 would look detailed but also as simple as this but with a new look of course. Simple mech design, cool looking clothes, nothing too pointy or over done, less skin shown and it looks amazing.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/xRomanticDeathx/PSO2.png
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/xRomanticDeathx/PSO1.png

Just my 2 cents.

Edit: More of his art -----> Link (http://www.animepaper.net/gallery/pictures/artists/miwa_shirow)

Mitz
Oct 18, 2011, 06:30 PM
Links not working.

Angelo
Oct 18, 2011, 06:30 PM
No thanks...

NoiseHERO
Oct 18, 2011, 06:37 PM
I like it...

But something about it...

His style is more ATLUS if anything.

Cayenne
Oct 18, 2011, 06:50 PM
Whatever style it is, i love it. Im guessing he played this game in the past, I don't see why you would make art for such an old game.

No thanks...

What's your flavor? The current art or what?

SephirothXer0
Oct 18, 2011, 06:58 PM
It looks alright, but keep in mind he didn't design any of it. Those are just PSO costumes.

Anyone can do nice fanart.

Cayenne
Oct 18, 2011, 07:31 PM
^Thank you for the obvious?

NoiseHERO
Oct 18, 2011, 07:46 PM

In other words it'd be the same shit. Otherwise it's too late to just start throwing artists roles around and hiring new dudes to go over what's already been done, at most he could do some random official artwork for event promos and calenders or expansion art and whatever like PSU did. But If you want characters in his artstyle, create them that way...

Good luck on the clothes part though.

SephirothXer0
Oct 18, 2011, 08:01 PM

Well smartass, you made it sound like he had designed the costumes in the picture

Simple mech design, cool looking clothes, nothing too pointy or over done, less skin shown and it looks amazing.

The credit for all of that goes to Akikazu Mizuno and Satoshi Sakai

So tell me again how this Shirow guy "gets what PSO is about" for doing some fanart of these guys' designs? Should any old Joe from Pixiv or Deviantart be in charge of PSO's art because they did some nice fanart too?

His original designs are nothing to brag about either; generic bishounen in Matrix getups and lolita schoolgirls. Didn't we get enough of that in PSP?

RemiusTA
Oct 18, 2011, 10:10 PM
After seeing his work a few months ago and now seeing the new concept art today, Miwa should do the art because I believe he gets what PSO is about.

TBH, I would've been happy if PSO2 would look detailed but also as simple as this but with a new look of course. Simple mech design, cool looking clothes, nothing too pointy or over done, less skin shown and it looks amazing.

http://i-a.animepaper.net/thumbnails/preview/73654/1/%5Banimepaper.net%5Dpicture-standard-artists-miwa-shirow-phantasy-star-73654-saikusa-preview-790806c7.jpg
http://i-d.animepaper.net/thumbnails/preview/73655/1/%5Banimepaper.net%5Dpicture-standard-artists-miwa-shirow-phantasy-star-mecha-mistress-73655-saikusa-preview-ab39340a.jpg

Just my 2 cents.

Edit: More of his art -----> Link (http://www.animepaper.net/gallery/pictures/artists/miwa_shirow)

He doesn't have anywhere close to the original PSO artist's look...at all. The original PSO art was far more realistic looking. The characters had much more visible detail, primarily in their anatomy and muscle groups. The easiest place to see this is in the face, as the original artist did not shortcut the nose or lips, something that is usually pretty common for a more generic "anime" style. While he didn't emphasize them as much as, say, most western artists, he still detailed the individual lips, both in and out of profile.

This artstyle is much closer to something like Phantasy Star Portable 2 and Infinity. But it's not very similar to PSO or PSU at all. And i dont see where you suggest he "knows what PSO is all about".....I dont see any PSO fanart from him...

....in fact, when i google "Miwa Shirow pso", the top links are Hentai. wat u been doinnnnnnn So aside from him being a wonderful artist (alot of his stuff is out of my taste, but it's no denying he can draw), i dont see how anything about him is relevant to PSO or PSO2.

IMO, I dont really think you can replace the original PSO artist. There aren't many artists ive seen that draw exactly like him, which is exactly why i enjoy his art so much. PSO2's art honestly doesn't allude to him very much at all either. Most of the PSO feeling i get from PSO2 comes from the environments and the fact that i haven't seen any serious lolita shit yet. PSO2 seems to be much more "mainstream anime", similar to this Shirow guy and PSP2.

Cayenne
Oct 18, 2011, 10:48 PM
It's just some fan art from an artist I like, wasn't serious about him replacing anyone, not here to argue. Read mixed feelings about the latest PSO2 concept art and thought I'd share this to compare both styles. From a fan to a fan.

Fixed the pics.

Edit: Michaeru, that would be cool if he did work for events and promos, would like to see that.

RemiusTA
Oct 18, 2011, 10:53 PM
I wasn't arguing either. I was just elaborating the differences as i saw them, i guess.

I do really like the pictures though. I do like all the outfits in those pictures better than the official ones in PSO2. Most of them look identical to the PSO ones though.

Cayenne
Oct 18, 2011, 11:05 PM
Go ahead and elaborate, that's what this thread is for. I really dig how Miwa drew the HUcast, looks so cool.

NoiseHERO
Oct 18, 2011, 11:43 PM
Your thread title doesn't really say "I only wanted to talk about it" or "what if" That's someones job that's already half done and paid for right there!

I'd happily be this game's lead art director thoug-BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Cayenne
Oct 19, 2011, 01:37 AM
Yeah my fault for not making the thread 100% clear.

After seeing nothing but PSO2 stuff this past month and seeing the PSO art style again, I'm starting to see how good the original style of PSO really is. Miwa just showed me a different angle and man it's pretty.

I'm digging the new PSO2 stuff with a few nitpicks of course (FOceasel's feet :/ ) but I wanted to post this for comparison for the board. That's all, I'll be waiting for more news, see you then.

Angelo
Oct 19, 2011, 02:26 AM
Whatever style it is, i love it. Im guessing he played this game in the past, I don't see why you would make art for such an old game.

What's your flavor? The current art or what?

I do like the new art to an extent, and I hate to sound like a PSO purist... but what you posted isn't PSO, it's far too flamboyant.

PSO had this wonderful subdued tone to it's art that seems to have been lost in the late 2000s black and white segregation of 'omg flying colors moe moe bishie' and 'absolutely no imagination bald space marine and textbook roman armor'. PSO's art was at a good pace in between and even pleasantly leaned on the more 'japanese' side, since it was (obviously) a japanese game.

So yes, ridiculous gundam casts aside... I'm pleased with the art and direction of the costumes so far. I can't wait to see what other costumes and weapons we'll be getting.

NoiseHERO
Oct 19, 2011, 10:05 AM
I do like the new art to an extent, and I hate to sound like a PSO purist... but what you posted isn't PSO, it's far too flamboyant.

PSO had this wonderful subdued tone to it's art that seems to have been lost in the late 2000s black and white segregation of 'omg flying colors moe moe bishie' and 'absolutely no imagination bald space marine and textbook roman armor'. PSO's art was at a good pace in between and even pleasantly leaned on the more 'japanese' side, since it was (obviously) a japanese game.

So yes, ridiculous gundam casts aside... I'm pleased with the art and direction of the costumes so far. I can't wait to see what other costumes and weapons we'll be getting.

I like how PSO was this "one thing" for everyone yet a lot of people probably see it so differently.

kyuuketsuki
Oct 19, 2011, 10:59 AM
It's nice looking art, but I have no issues with the current PSO2 concept art. Don't understand what all the fuss is about.

yoshiblue
Oct 19, 2011, 11:03 AM
Just people talking about how PSO2's characters should look like.

Yata The Prophet
Oct 24, 2011, 08:04 PM
I like it...

But something about it...

His style is more ATLUS if anything.
That is a compliment indeed.
I'm a big Disgaea (NIS) fan myself, but Persona 4 was very nice too.

NoiseHERO
Oct 24, 2011, 08:08 PM
That is a compliment indeed.
I'm a big Disgaea (NIS) fan myself, but Persona 4 was very nice too.

Yeah atlus is more "STYLIN' " where as PSO would be a little more calm in comparison, Even with PSU.