PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy Talk

Jinketsu
Oct 12, 2011, 11:16 AM
For argument's sake, Final Fantasy 4 was a sequel to 2.

I hope there's a connection to Ragol, as in good backstory to whatever happened with it after ep 4

Zorafim
Oct 12, 2011, 11:27 AM
For argument's sake, Final Fantasy 4 was a sequel to 2.

You, sir, have blown my mind, and kept me on the edge of my seat. Explain before I fall off in exasperation.
I know that Kain is supposed to be the son of, what was his name... Edwin? But I thought they just borrowed the name.

RemiusTA
Oct 12, 2011, 12:24 PM
Mind blown farther

Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy XII, all related and on the same timeline.

That includes the sequels to the respective titles, such as Tactics Advance and FFXII Reverent Wings.

Zorafim
Oct 12, 2011, 01:06 PM
But, FFTA and FFTA2 are both in a world that don't exist. How could that be the same world as FFXII and FFT?

RemiusTA
Oct 12, 2011, 03:59 PM
well, i neer played TA or TA2, i just assumed.

Either way, Tactics, Vagrant Story and XII are all on the same planet and timeline.

NoiseHERO
Oct 12, 2011, 05:00 PM
I dunno...

All this talk about whether the stories of all the games are connected or not. It's really up in the air...

Just thinking about it from the writers perspective (ESPECIALLY if there's different writers for each game) Anything that could be "evidence" of things being connected, could probably just be suttle references used to get something on the paper...otherwise, it'd probably be a lot more obvious.

Of course by now, thanks to the power of fanservice, It looks like THEY ARE trying to connect everything on purpose... At the last minute.

Kent
Oct 12, 2011, 05:14 PM
But, FFTA and FFTA2 are both in a world that don't exist. How could that be the same world as FFXII and FFT?
FFTA2 has characters from FFXII in it, and takes place a few years after Revenant Wings. Tactics and Vagrant Story take place in the distant future where all non-hume races have been subjugated into extinction by hume supremacists.

It's worth noting that it's not so much that the world of Ivalice "doesn't exist," so much as it is a separate reality from "earth," whence Luso, Marche, Ritz et al. originate. The Tome Final Fantasy exists as a portal between worlds, within which the stories of the various games take place.

...So yeah. Amongst Ivalice titles, there actually is strict canon, and all of them did actually happen, as this world actually does exist, it just does so separately from earth. One could speculate that the lack of earth-people intervention may have resulted in the world degenerating into the state in which it exists as of Tactics, meaning Marche may be an even bigger dick (albeit perhaps indirectly) than originally thought.

NoiseHERO
Oct 12, 2011, 05:24 PM
Is that why 12 has all the weird races from the tactics series...? e_e

I liked those mole people...

The media needs more friendly ugly fantasy monsters...

That's why PSO2 needs motavians!

RemiusTA
Oct 12, 2011, 06:27 PM
Yeah, i really enjoy it when the different "races" actually..you know, look different. There's a warm, fuzzy feeling when you start an RPG and your best friend is a guy with a Dog face. (breath of fire II) It makes the whole "RACES UNITED!" thing feel a bit better when everyone is able to accept beings that look much different than them.

I was kind of disappointed that you had no Seeq or Bangaa party members in FFXII. That kind of thing isnt profitable anymore, so everyone is beautiful or has no clothing on. So of course you got to play with the Viera, since she's tall and dark and sexy.

Not that big a deal, but yeah, the racial differences in Phantasy Star will dwindle just as often as people want to turn all their characters into roleplay anime characters and jpop idols.

Kent
Oct 13, 2011, 07:33 PM
A Bangaa party member in XII would've been amazing, considering the sheer badassedness of the Master Monk in my FFTA2 clan. Also teleport shoes.

He's like if Goku was an anthropomorphic lizard murder factory.

Gria or Aegyl, maybe, but neither of them would really make sense within the story's context. The official word on the lack of non-hume characters in the leading cast of FFXII is because they wanted all of the characters to be more relatable, which apparently prevented them from going much farther than throwing in the 9-foot-tall bunny girl.

Which, really, it's valid to a point - characters are more relatable when they're more human-like - but considering how cultured and intermixed the various races of Ivalice are, I'd say it wouldn't be much of a stretch to feature the others more prominently in the playable cast. In fact, with some good writing, having a Bangaa, Nu Mou or Moogle character as more central to the story could provide a very different and very interesting perspective on what is probably the most developed world setting the series has had, save for XI.

It'd sure as hell beat having Vaan in the game, who was only added so there'd be a prettyboy with which to market the game, despite his relevance to the story being essentially that of a henchman.

RemiusTA
Oct 13, 2011, 08:20 PM
I thought vann was funny if nothing else. He's a fucking monster in dissidia though.

It's funny, Ashe or Basch would have been much better main characters, but they chose to tell the story from the view of a bystander...which really wasn't a terrible idea, IMO.

A Moogle should never be a main character in a game. They're just too adorable. (the FF9/FFXII versions anyway)

BIG OLAF
Oct 13, 2011, 08:23 PM
I hope they cut Final Fantasy characters from PSO2.

yoshiblue
Oct 13, 2011, 09:41 PM
Hey what if I wanted to be Luso or Ramza?

A Bangaa party member in XII would've been amazing, considering the sheer badassedness of the Master Monk in my FFTA2 clan. Also teleport shoes.

He's like if Goku was an anthropomorphic lizard murder factory.

Gria or Aegyl, maybe, but neither of them would really make sense within the story's context. The official word on the lack of non-hume characters in the leading cast of FFXII is because they wanted all of the characters to be more relatable, which apparently prevented them from going much farther than throwing in the 9-foot-tall bunny girl.

Which, really, it's valid to a point - characters are more relatable when they're more human-like - but considering how cultured and intermixed the various races of Ivalice are, I'd say it wouldn't be much of a stretch to feature the others more prominently in the playable cast. In fact, with some good writing, having a Bangaa, Nu Mou or Moogle character as more central to the story could provide a very different and very interesting perspective on what is probably the most developed world setting the series has had, save for XI.

It'd sure as hell beat having Vaan in the game, who was only added so there'd be a prettyboy with which to market the game, despite his relevance to the story being essentially that of a henchman.

A Nu Mou would have been cool if you could give it two shields and having it atom smash their foes in the face(ultima blow).

RemiusTA
Oct 13, 2011, 10:29 PM

No fair, if that's the case then they have to cut spikey hair and skirts and anything that even HINTS at Loli, Magical Girl or Jpop to even it out.

Srs bsns

NoiseHERO
Oct 13, 2011, 10:48 PM
No fair, if that's the case then they have to cut spikey hair and skirts and anything that even HINTS at Loli, Magical Girl or Jpop to even it out.

Srs bsns

Hang on, I need my spikey hair...

Even though they only one I've seen so far looks like bishit.

BIG OLAF
Oct 13, 2011, 11:03 PM

Like you would care if they did that, yeah. :-P

Jonth
Oct 13, 2011, 11:29 PM

I hope they cut you from reality! :rant:

... Sorry... Felt left out.

BIG OLAF
Oct 13, 2011, 11:37 PM
I hope they cut you from reality!

You're not the only one. Better take a number and have a seat over there.

Jonth
Oct 13, 2011, 11:43 PM
You're not the only one. Better take a number and have a seat over there.

Just kidding really. I've read a lot of your posts and I don't understand why people get that upset over somebody disagreeing with them. Heck, even if I was out right insulted, it'd be hard to make me mad on an online forum.

Zarode
Oct 14, 2011, 12:49 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIAql1AfSSU&feature=youtu.be

Macman
Oct 14, 2011, 07:00 AM
I hope they cut Final Fantasy characters from PSO2.Sorry, but all the Pinkal Sephiroth HUmars would riot.

Hang on, I need my spikey hair...Best make a HUmar then.

Zorafim
Oct 14, 2011, 12:32 PM
I thought vann was funny if nothing else. He's a fucking monster in dissidia though.

What? They put that pointless every-main-character-ever in Dissidia, when they could have used those resources on adding Rosa?
They're lucky they already have Cecil and Kain in there, or I'd call bloody murder.

Kent
Oct 14, 2011, 04:24 PM
It's funny, Ashe or Basch would have been much better main characters, but they chose to tell the story from the view of a bystander...which really wasn't a terrible idea, IMO.
Vaan, the Ishmael (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheIshmael), worked pretty well as a literary device. It's very obvious that Ashe actually was the main character of the story, though. But I have to say, he's relatively forgettable as an individual character, especially once Ashe joins the party a couple hours in, and steals the show for the remainder of the game.

RemiusTA
Oct 14, 2011, 04:31 PM
What? They put that pointless every-main-character-ever in Dissidia, when they could have used those resources on adding Rosa?
They're lucky they already have Cecil and Kain in there, or I'd call bloody murder.

...who is Rosa?

And yeah, Vann definitely had to make it in because they had no hero from XII. I think Balthier, Ashe or Basch would have been way cooler, but god DAMN Vann is powerful on that game. I'd have hoped they had snuck Ramza on, but they put gilgemesh (could have skipped him) and Prishe in, which is 2 for XI, which is fair enough. Prishe is probably the most rewarding character in that game, EX mode + MASH CIRCLE = rapeful bliss combo

Vann wasn't important, he wasn't supposed to really be the star of the show. I thought the various cutscenes of that game made that painfully obvious. He was a side character. He just held the camera.

Not to mention, Balthier constantly states he's the "leading man" because he knows hes the awesomest character in the game, and he knows you know as well.

Jonth
Oct 14, 2011, 04:51 PM
Rosa was the bow wielding white mage from Final Fantasy 4. Cecil's love interest.

Kent
Oct 15, 2011, 05:26 PM
Love interest? They're married.

yoshiblue
Oct 15, 2011, 08:01 PM
Luso or Marche would have been just as cool. Only then, fan boys & girls will complain about Marche being a clone of Ramza.

Jonth
Oct 16, 2011, 10:16 AM
Love interest? They're married.

Really? Cause I didn't pick that up playing Final Fantasy 4... Oh wait, did it happen at the end? I never quite beat the game. Made it to the underworld, right up until I was getting ready to go to the land of the Eidolons... Actually, sadly, I played through the game twice up until that exact point, and then quit. I don't know what it is, but something about that spot must be really boring to me...

Vashyron
Oct 16, 2011, 10:41 AM
Vaan gets no respect.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpcLUGqWanM

yoshiblue
Oct 16, 2011, 07:10 PM
Balthier (as do many people say) is my favorite FFXII character. Vaan comes in 2nd. Don't cry now!

Macman
Oct 16, 2011, 10:25 PM
Vaan doesn't deserve respect. Thrown in at the last second to appease the Japanese because FFXII wasn't girlyboy enough. He doesn't have any relevance to the plot.

RemiusTA
Oct 17, 2011, 12:26 AM
Vaan doesn't deserve respect. Thrown in at the last second to appease the Japs because FFXII wasn't girlyboy enough. He doesn't have any relevance to the plot.

Why does everyone hate on Vann so much? He wasn't thrown in at the last second, IIRC he was simply casted as the player character at the last minute. It really doesn't matter though, because the story wasn't written for you to follow the center of attention anyway.

And boy, i LOL'd at that video, especially when Vann is about to fight himself and goes "IM the leading man!", when that's definitely Balthier's line.

The Gabranth AI sucks ass (since he can't HP attack without being in EX burst mode), but he's seriously the most badass character on that game man. I love that pose after the EX burst and his winning pose too.

Zorafim
Oct 19, 2011, 03:10 PM
...who is Rosa?

AKS;JDFGPASJGNAK;ENKLAJSBGAJSDHFNASKDLJFBAPISUGILJ BASAS;DKFN;SIHASJK;DGBAKSJDFNDHIFA;SGBAS;KGAS;LKGS JKDFA;SKDFH;ASFSKDJFHASKLDJFLASDFI;OASDIFHASDFJK;D F

Sayara
Oct 19, 2011, 04:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6S5gF0CtPI

Outrider
Oct 19, 2011, 05:25 PM
All this talk about how Ivalice ties into other games and nobody remembers that Final Fantasy VIII's Triple Triad game was created by Orlan Durai from Final Fantasy Tactics?

I remember using that logic (and the inter-dimensional portal that connects FFVII and Tactics) to pull in the FFVIII Omega Weapon into a Final Fantasy VII roleplaying game back in the day.

Randomness
Oct 19, 2011, 05:50 PM
FFTA2 has characters from FFXII in it, and takes place a few years after Revenant Wings. Tactics and Vagrant Story take place in the distant future where all non-hume races have been subjugated into extinction by hume supremacists.

It's worth noting that it's not so much that the world of Ivalice "doesn't exist," so much as it is a separate reality from "earth," whence Luso, Marche, Ritz et al. originate. The Tome Final Fantasy exists as a portal between worlds, within which the stories of the various games take place.

...So yeah. Amongst Ivalice titles, there actually is strict canon, and all of them did actually happen, as this world actually does exist, it just does so separately from earth. One could speculate that the lack of earth-people intervention may have resulted in the world degenerating into the state in which it exists as of Tactics, meaning Marche may be an even bigger dick (albeit perhaps indirectly) than originally thought.

Actually, Advance is an echo of Ivalice. A2 actually occurs there as I recall though.