PDA

View Full Version : Official Phantasy Star Blog and Mags

Mike
Oct 20, 2011, 02:04 AM
Today marks the opening of the Phantasy Star Blog. While it is the official blog for the entire Phantasy Star series, it will mainly be for PSO2. Check it out at the link below.

http://ameblo.jp/sega-psblog/

And right off the bat, there's a bit of new info: The first representation of mags in PSO2!

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1568&pictureid=23628

According to the blog, the color of the blue area will change depending on who equips it. Mags don't seem to be very well developed in game yet though. Sakai asks eveyone to wait a little longer for in-game shots of mags.

donkeybeatz
Oct 20, 2011, 02:13 AM
Hey I remember mags! Remember mags? They're back. In pog form.

NoiseHERO
Oct 20, 2011, 02:16 AM
Before the "I won't be happy with anything these guys make" criticism comes /end hypocracy

I think this mag looks alright... a lot better than PSO's base mag at least. Maybe still a little over detailed for a little ball but I guess that's why it's concept art.

ShadowDragon28
Oct 20, 2011, 02:45 AM
finally! Looks awesome. Hopefull players can select the base color of the mag like in PSZ.

WiZ1988
Oct 20, 2011, 03:16 AM
Good stuff. Looks good

ShadowDragon28
Oct 20, 2011, 03:46 AM
I love how it's design kind of resembles Opa Opa from Sega's Fantasy Zone games.

Tyreek
Oct 20, 2011, 04:24 AM
Its got the drone look. I like it. Detailed, but simple. Now lets wait and see how they will fully function in this game.

sugarFO
Oct 20, 2011, 05:34 AM
I love mags!!!

Jinketsu
Oct 20, 2011, 06:38 AM
The color changes depending on who equips it, huh. So we'll always match? Surely there will be a way to force a color onto it.

I'm very interested to learn how these mags will evolve.

voxie
Oct 20, 2011, 07:06 AM
AAAAAHHHHH!!!! *dies* finally!!!! :D

zandra117
Oct 20, 2011, 07:09 AM
"depending on who equips it"
So I guess this confirms that we can trade mags again?

•Col•
Oct 20, 2011, 09:06 AM
I think it looks interesting. Think it would've looked better if it was a TEENSY bit smaller, though.

EDIT:

"depending on who equips it"
So I guess this confirms that we can trade mags again?

Not necessarily. He probably just meant the model type. Like... In PSO, depending on your clothing color, it changes the color of the starter Mag. I think he meant something like that, except if you change your color later in the game, your Mag will also change to match.

Mags probably will be tradeable though.

amtalx
Oct 20, 2011, 09:14 AM
I wouldn't get too attached to that evolution. It will probably evolve into something else pretty quickly...

•Col•
Oct 20, 2011, 09:32 AM
I wouldn't get too attached to that evolution. It will probably evolve into something else pretty quickly...

Well.... Duh.

It almost definitely is the starter Mag look.

If it was a final evolution I would be very dissapointed.

Nitro Vordex
Oct 20, 2011, 01:20 PM
Saiyan space pod mag.

Yeah I'm a dork.

vPharaohv
Oct 20, 2011, 02:21 PM
Saiyan space pod mag.

Well Put!

Zorafim
Oct 20, 2011, 03:07 PM
Yeah I'm a dork.

Dude. You're on a video game forum for a game that isn't out yet, and next to nobody will know about. You're not the only dork around here.

For some reason, I find myself... dissapointed, that mags are back. I can't say why. It's not like it means anything, it's just another equipable item.

Ce'Nedra
Oct 20, 2011, 04:08 PM
Saiyan space pod mag.

Yeah I'm a dork.

Must say it does look very close to that...

CAMPSO
Oct 20, 2011, 05:15 PM
Cool. Looks good starting out. But i wonder what design they will be going for? Will they look like PMs from PSU? Or maybe from PSZ? Hopefully we just get some totally new looking designs.

Neith
Oct 20, 2011, 05:59 PM
Oh god, not mags again. :disapprove:

Best get prepared for hours on end of standing in a shop spamming food items then.

The one thing I always hated in Phantasy Star was companion mechanics (MAGS/PMs etc). Hated the leveling up part of it, hopefully that isn't as dull now.

Hatemachine
Oct 20, 2011, 06:30 PM
WOHOO another item to waste hours of my time in the game trying to get one I think looks really cool or kicks massive ass, any excuse to make my characters LOOK cooler AND kick more ass at the same time sounds like a win win for me and a lose lose for my eventual free time.

NoiseHERO
Oct 20, 2011, 06:36 PM

Best get prepared for hours on end of standing in a shop spamming food items then.

The one thing I always hated in Phantasy Star was companion mechanics (MAGS/PMs etc). Hated the leveling up part of it, hopefully that isn't as dull now.

I don't care, I'll just slap some random stats on it then put a costume/skin on it like I did with PSZ.

Or just buy someone elses when I'm a high level with money to spend, then continue with plan A.

Macman
Oct 20, 2011, 06:39 PM

Best get prepared for hours on end of standing in a shop spamming food items then.You're doing it wrong.

Retehi
Oct 20, 2011, 07:59 PM

I don't remember being forced to idle in shops, and feed my mag there. .

Masterflower
Oct 20, 2011, 08:05 PM
I want a mag that I can wear as knuckles and fight hand-to-hand. >.>

Mike
Oct 20, 2011, 08:29 PM
Maybe still a little over detailed for a little ball ...
I can agree with this. This art might be good as the second form or something a little more developed than the base mag but a little more simplicity for the first form would make me feel better.

lostinseganet
Oct 20, 2011, 08:51 PM
They must henshin they must! Yet what will they become.....

Nitro Vordex
Oct 20, 2011, 09:33 PM

Pretty sure you could just feed them as you play. It's not hard, I promise.

Randomness
Oct 20, 2011, 10:13 PM

Yeah, you get good at knowing when it's up, and then you just pop food in while running to the next room.

That said, I'd rather see it set up as X items per Y hours real time. Much simpler.

Blueblur
Oct 20, 2011, 11:21 PM
I can agree with this. This art might be good as the second form or something a little more developed than the base mag but a little more simplicity for the first form would make me feel better.

I think you've got a point but I rather wait and see though before I get worried.

Mike
Oct 21, 2011, 12:14 AM
I think you've got a point but I rather wait and see though before I get worried.
We'll just have to wait for what they look like in-game.

Zyrusticae
Oct 21, 2011, 09:40 AM
I hope they shed some light on the new mechanics sometime soon.

Seems kind of a dick move to just show the concept art and not release anything on how they'll actually work.

amtalx
Oct 21, 2011, 10:12 AM
Yeah, you get good at knowing when it's up, and then you just pop food in while running to the next room.
Mag timers are your best friend. Used to leave my Xbox on while I was watching TV and just switch inputs to feed my mag. The process of raising a mag is so passive it's difficult to be annoyed by it. The financial burden of buying food was more of an issue than anything else.

RemiusTA
Oct 21, 2011, 11:07 AM
Before the "I won't be happy with anything these guys make" criticism comes /end hypocracy

I think this mag looks alright... a lot better than PSO's base mag at least. Maybe still a little over detailed for a little ball but I guess that's why it's concept art.

It's like PSO's mag but it looks expanded upon to somewhat. I dont have any issue with it -- im just happy it isn't a Pete or Lolibot.

I kind of dig the detail, it makes it seem more like a more believable i guess. But i hope they don't completely do away with the organic aspect of them, becuase IIRC they're supposed to be alive.

Or not. I can't remember T_T

It looks like, SO FAR, they'll follow PSO's mag concept, which is a good thing.

BIG OLAF
Oct 21, 2011, 11:11 AM
That said, I'd rather see it set up as X items per Y hours real time. Much simpler.

You mean sort of like PSU's "100 items every 12 hours?" Yes, I agree it was much simpler to do that than have to go into your inventory every five minutes to give your Mag a monumental three items.

RemiusTA
Oct 21, 2011, 11:14 AM
I actually wouldn't rather that, it took forever, and the fast increase would suggest we'd need a trillion items to max out our mags.

Mag Feeding was like on a 5 minute interval, but at the very worst of circumstances, you'd be getting 2 stat points every 15 minutes, which was only 10 items. If you had a decent mag for the stat you wanted, you could be getting 2 points every 2 feedings.

But if items are made to be somewhat scarce, it could work.

kyuuketsuki
Oct 21, 2011, 12:58 PM
Woohoo, Mags! Go %*$# yourselves, naysayers! (Just kiddin' =P)

Anyways, I like the (presumably) basic Mag, except I agree with whoever said it should be a little bit smaller. Hope they have both robotic and organic looking Mags... though by the look of the basic Mag they may be going for more of a robotic look. Just as long as they don't look like PSU PMs.

And uh... I don't see how it's in any way a "dick move" to tease a concept art of a Mag without releasing any information on exactly how they work.

Seven7
Oct 21, 2011, 01:23 PM
I can't wait to see the new mags

•Col•
Oct 21, 2011, 01:33 PM
It's like PSO's mag but it looks expanded upon to somewhat. I dont have any issue with it -- im just happy it isn't a Pete or Lolibot.

I kind of dig the detail, it makes it seem more like a more believable i guess. But i hope they don't completely do away with the organic aspect of them, becuase IIRC they're supposed to be alive.

Or not. I can't remember T_T

They were alive, I'm pretty sure.

If I remember right, they had both mechanical and biological components.

Seven7
Oct 21, 2011, 01:44 PM
I thought they were alive to

HappierWorlds
Oct 21, 2011, 02:20 PM
I hope someday they can glow, shoot lightning, etc.

C-Shan
Oct 21, 2011, 03:35 PM
MAAAGS!!!!

Now they just have to handle them right.
PSO was a tad complicated in feeding, but perfect in evolution (IMO).
PS0 had the easiest "customize your bonus stats" but overall evolution was bland.
PSU... Just no. Mags need Photon Blasts, and to look like creatures not humans.

I want a mag that I can wear as knuckles and fight hand-to-hand. >.>
*swing*
SKREE
*swing swing*
SKRE KRAA
*timed swing*
SKAAAA

Yup, that mag's gonna just love how you put the attack boost it gave you to work.

Neith
Oct 21, 2011, 03:58 PM

I know, I did it loads of times through PSOGC and BB. It was just such a dull process that you ended up with games full of people just standing in Pioneer 2's shop feeding mag for hours to get it out of the way.

I wasn't 'doing it wrong', I'd done the whole 'feed while you run' several times before, and ended up just running a MagTimer on BB in window mode and doing other things while i fed it.

PSU went on to enforce this because you couldn't feed your PM outside of your room.

Zyrusticae
Oct 21, 2011, 04:31 PM
And uh... I don't see how it's in any way a "dick move" to tease a concept art of a Mag without releasing any information on exactly how they work.
Really?

It's one of the biggest question marks on the entire game right now. We've had a whole thread dedicated exclusively to speculation on how they're gonna end up.

If nothing else, I want some information so we actually have something CONCRETE to go on, rather than PSO nostalgia-hards.

Mitz
Oct 21, 2011, 06:01 PM
I'm excited. Not about MAGs because I knew they were coming(I like how they will adjust according to character/outfit though) but because a blog is a great way to get down to the nitty and gritty with players. As far as I can see, they learned a lot from the big players(Blizzard, Bioware and Trion) to bring the news as effective as they can get.

Now they just need to realize there is global interest in this game, and exploit that fact!!

Macman
Oct 21, 2011, 08:13 PM
Now they just need to realize there is global interest in this game, and exploit that fact!!Don't hold your breath.

NoiseHERO
Oct 21, 2011, 08:47 PM
If nothing else, I want some information so we actually have something CONCRETE to go on, rather than PSO nostalgia-hards.

Never thought I'd ever agree with zyru in any form... but THIS...

I think they've been tossing the PSO nostalgia card around too much like that's all this game is going to be...

Devil May Cry Over PSO Nostalgia. I'd rather they show us nothing at all, then constantly tease us ever 2 weeks-to a month, showing us PSO themed stuff they failed to add to PSU at the last minute. As far as we know right now... Classic PSO fans can't really complain about anything anymore. And you know, since I liked all of PSU's... what other people would call "extra crap" I guess I some hope going on-whatever who cares

But you know... I actually care about the parts of the game that's going to be... actually NEW.

Everytime they show something new but vague it's all "COOL" for like a day, then the longer I stare at it I'm starting to see holes in the concept that make me think "Wheres the deluxe version?" That being an inside joke, I mean everything is already starting to look like it could be better. not because I'm an annoying fan that wants it perfect, but because I'm an annoying fan that feels like that game is incomplete, but the incomplete parts should or should HAVE been a given, yet it still bugs me even though this is still the alpha phase and they've only just now showed us(not even us but japan) this halfassed trailer and- Either I'm REALLY not used to this stupid game teaser hype especially over the span of months, or they're really rushing this game.

TS;DR

No I can't explain it either I guess crossing out all of the random crap I wrote above I sort of feel like, they're giving us these drip fed teases of awesome things that become the complete opposite of awesome after you realize they only look 40% finished. Then everything else is just PSO nostalgia dick riding. Or maybe it's just some irresponsible marketing strategy.

gordon/alpha999
Oct 21, 2011, 09:12 PM
Winning! I hope they'll bring back devil wings and my agastya!

Mitz
Oct 21, 2011, 11:09 PM
Don't hold your breath.

Wise. Wise. It was wishful thinking at best, hopeful thinking at worst.

SELENNA
Oct 21, 2011, 11:25 PM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_mmBw3uzPnJI/S_5H2vdZdAI/AAAAAAABSi0/HpNrhmT3INo/s1600/Haters_Gonna_Hate_09.jpg

Couldn't resist =) People do like feeding them

kyuuketsuki
Oct 22, 2011, 02:19 AM
Really?

It's one of the biggest question marks on the entire game right now. We've had a whole thread dedicated exclusively to speculation on how they're gonna end up.
Yeah, I'm sure they're following PSO-W threads.

I'll take a teaser concept art over nothing, personally. They'll release some info on the Mag system when they're ready to do so. I just don't get why people get in such a tizzy about exactly how developers choose to do their pre-release info. It's just... not important.

Kent
Oct 22, 2011, 12:52 PM
I still think it'd be hilarious if they just ran with the virtua-pet idea for MAGs, so long as it still tied in with normal gameplay (rather than PSU's PM disaster).

pikachief
Oct 22, 2011, 02:37 PM
I know, I did it loads of times through PSOGC and BB. It was just such a dull process that you ended up with games full of people just standing in Pioneer 2's shop feeding mag for hours to get it out of the way.

I wasn't 'doing it wrong', I'd done the whole 'feed while you run' several times before, and ended up just running a MagTimer on BB in window mode and doing other things while i fed it.

PSU went on to enforce this because you couldn't feed your PM outside of your room.

hhhmmm.... still sounds like you were doing it wrong :)

RemiusTA
Oct 22, 2011, 04:37 PM
hhhmmm.... still sounds like you were doing it wrong :)

beat me to it

that's like...grinding on level 5 monsters on Final Fantasy until level 100 because the game never stops you from doing it. Not nearly as extreme, but the same concept -- they never told you OR required you to spam Mag feeding on PSO like you are almost REQUIRED to spam Technic/bullet levels on PSU. (at least, you were required to spam technics, i know that for sure. Especially buffs.)

The only time you would be required to do that is if you like, sold your only mag or something, or didn't start raising it from a lower level. In which case, that's the point -- it's supposed to grow WITH your character. You aren't supposed to get one and then make it lv200 before you start a mission. That's just silly.

Arkios
Oct 22, 2011, 07:39 PM
This makes me happy on so many different levels. I loved MAGs.

I'd comment on the naysayers saying how "terrible it was to level MAGs"... however I feel like that's already been explained. "You're doing it wrong" pretty much sums that up nicely.

NoiseHERO
Oct 22, 2011, 07:53 PM
I remember being mad, when my friends mag turned into a badass jetpack thingie. And mine turned into a turd.

Sinue_v2
Oct 22, 2011, 07:55 PM
I still think it'd be hilarious if they just ran with the virtua-pet idea for MAGs, so long as it still tied in with normal gameplay (rather than PSU's PM disaster).

Yeah, but to be honest, I really liked how PSU's R-Mags functioned as a knock-down/status effect auto-turret. Acrofighter was a blast to play, and I wouldn't mind that gameplay style making a comeback... as well as perhaps some that also cast techs for FO's like T-Mags, but keeping the auto-turret principal. Maybe some others could have movement/dodging/blocking enhancing effects.

kyuuketsuki
Oct 22, 2011, 08:28 PM
I remember being mad, when my friends mag turned into a badass jetpack thingie. And mine turned into a turd.
Ahahahahaha. Sounds like good times. ;)

NoiseHERO
Oct 22, 2011, 08:30 PM
Yeah, but to be honest, I really liked how PSU's R-Mags functioned as a knock-down/status effect auto-turret. Acrofighter was a blast to play, and I wouldn't mind that gameplay style making a comeback... as well as perhaps some that also cast techs for FO's like T-Mags, but keeping the auto-turret principal. Maybe some others could have movement/dodging/blocking enhancing effects.

This, a lot of people hated acrofighter AND techmags, but they had more strategy to them than meets the eyes. Taking advantage of R-mag SE's and stacking them with melee weapons that had the right special effects. (Like that one freezing claw + an ice R-mag = everything in the room is frozen)

Randomness
Oct 22, 2011, 09:06 PM
This makes me happy on so many different levels. I loved MAGs.

I'd comment on the naysayers saying how "terrible it was to level MAGs"... however I feel like that's already been explained. "You're doing it wrong" pretty much sums that up nicely.

Yeah... MAGs were never too bad... but I wish they'd been something like 10 items/10 minutes or something, a larger time window.

PMs were actually better on feeding in some ways, but you should have been able to batch feed (for stackables).

C-Shan
Oct 23, 2011, 05:16 AM

Ahhh the days of my youth... like the scent of fresh pine.

I just remember the first time I saw a Varaha and going "ZOMG U HAS WINGZ! HAO U GET?!"

Though I do remember greatly enjoying some of the "turd" ones.
Anyone remember the one that was essentially a floating waffle iron?

Tyreek
Oct 23, 2011, 05:43 AM
... Kumara?

C-Shan
Oct 23, 2011, 03:26 PM
Yup, that's the one.

Macman
Oct 23, 2011, 06:12 PM
Burger mag is and will always be the best.

Cast Soldier
Oct 24, 2011, 01:00 AM
Yes, finally MAGS. Can't wait to hear more info on them.

RemiusTA
Oct 24, 2011, 01:24 AM
Ila all the way

Therl6hero
Oct 25, 2011, 05:37 AM
Hi Guys,

I am very new to these forums, I am satisfied to be part of the blood, I am sure i'll learn a straws from you!

Selphea
Oct 25, 2011, 06:10 AM
Yahoo! Mag is OP.

Macman
Oct 25, 2011, 07:29 AM
So OP it was never released to JP PSOBB.

Ce'Nedra
Oct 26, 2011, 02:56 AM
^Like PSOBB needs crappy mags like that lol. PSOBB has way to much unique mags of it's own. Though there is only one of these i liked, but it looked very lame on my HUney. Forgot its name but it has alot of small bars on your back that give light and when you hit 100 pb the mag spreads out like wings or something.

Aside that, Panther Tail, Rati and Devil Wings ftw :3
Sato is over-(ab)used >_<

Tyreek
Oct 26, 2011, 08:07 AM
Agastaya. Typical wings.

Zorafim
Oct 26, 2011, 11:09 AM
Hi Guys,

I am very new to these forums, I am satisfied to be part of the blood, I am sure i'll learn a straws from you!

I'm glad you like blood. You'll see alot of it here.

RemiusTA
Oct 26, 2011, 11:16 AM
Agastaya. Typical wings.

You forget -- this was before Wings were typical, and were actually pretty cool.

Macman
Oct 26, 2011, 11:20 AM
You forget -- this was before Wings were typical, and were actually pretty cool.Technically since Agastya was introduced in Blue Burst, wing-like mags have been around for quite a while.

Rotek
Oct 26, 2011, 06:48 PM
can someone explain to me what a mag is? i only played PSU and the portable versions so not really sure what a mag is?

NoiseHERO
Oct 26, 2011, 06:53 PM
can someone explain to me what a mag is? i only played PSU and the portable versions so not really sure what a mag is?

Remember those weird looking floaty ball thingies that you could use to cast magic or shoot lasers that nobody used besides forces and a few acrofighters?

Those used to be GIGAPETS in PSO.

Kent
Oct 26, 2011, 09:36 PM
A MAG is an artificial life-form issued to every member of the Hunter's Guild (which encompassed all players in PSO). It's a little floating comma-shaped robotic buddy that would float around by your character out in the field. About every three minutes, you could feed it consumable items from your inventory (Monomates, Monofluids, Antidotes, etc. - not equipment though) which would grant it progress in its four stats: DEF, POW, DEX and MIND.

Each level in a stat confers an appropriate stat bonus to your character's base stats (allowing them to equip weapons and learn techniques significantly before they would be able to naturally). There's also a Photon Blast meter that raises as your character participates in combat through both giving and receiving damage, and when it's full, you can have you MAG perform a Photon Blast, which is effectively a limit break equivalent, and they have various effects, ranging from various forms of attacks, to giving a substantial amount of healing, to providing high-level buffs - they are learned by your MAG as it levels up and evolves based on various factors.

MAGs were a primary mechanic of PSO, because they allowed several levels of customization to your character: Alongside customizing your character's stats through raising a MAG, you also customize its capacity Photon Blasts (including how often it's capable of using them), how often it can give you beneficial effects under certain situations (like giving you Shifta and Deband when you enter a boss fight, or casting Resta on you when you get taken to critical health), and perhaps most importantly to some players, what it looks like as it floats around with you.

Unlike the normal character customization, MAGs allowed players to custom-tailor their characters through gameplay, to the point where it also changes several gameplay-related aspects of their characters. The fact that they're also implemented in a way that resembles virtual pets only helps serve to give players more of a bond with their personal MAG that they raised on their own.

Sinue_v2
Oct 26, 2011, 09:46 PM

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/214606059_Q2gWR-XL-2.jpg

NoiseHERO
Oct 26, 2011, 10:01 PM
Damn Alpha Males...

Or should I say Alpha RaMales gettin' all the cool mags and FObitches.

Macman
Oct 26, 2011, 11:42 PM
And yet the CAST master race outperforms them in every way.

Selphea
Oct 27, 2011, 12:38 AM
And yet the CAST master race outperforms them in every way.

RAmar and RAmarl were better for soloing the Tower missions.

Enforcer MKV
Oct 27, 2011, 08:11 AM
hm, too bad the idea of a master race is archaic and outdated...

Ce'Nedra
Oct 27, 2011, 09:29 AM
Technically since Agastya was introduced in Blue Burst, wing-like mags have been around for quite a while.

Devil wings and Angel wings have been arround since V2 i think. At least Devil Wings was cause i know someone who played V2 and had them. Angel wings was on psoGC for sure, so wing mags have been arround even longer then BB :)

Macman
Oct 27, 2011, 02:19 PM
Devil wings and Angel wings have been arround since V2 i think. At least Devil Wings was cause i know someone who played V2 and had them. Angel wings was on psoGC for sure, so wing mags have been arround even longer then BB :)Don't forget common ones that resemble wings that have been around since the beginning. Stuff like Varaha.

Noel Vermillion
Oct 28, 2011, 05:32 AM
I really hope mags =/= stats :/ that sucked hardcore style and I think real PSO players will agree with me here. Something you can spam stats in to breaks the flow of the game... it's basically money = stats which is silly. you shouldnt be able to equip a different mag and have totally different stats :(

sega didn't do this in PSU though, which was cool

Ce'Nedra
Oct 28, 2011, 06:12 AM
Money was useless in PSO anyway. You only use it for weapons with the Charge special. On PSU Meseta had value cause you had to buy all your weapons and such with it, both on and offline.

Jonth
Oct 28, 2011, 07:36 AM
I really hope mags =/= stats :/ that sucked hardcore style and I think real PSO players will agree with me here. Something you can spam stats in to breaks the flow of the game... it's basically money = stats which is silly. you shouldnt be able to equip a different mag and have totally different stats :(

Wait... What? It is pretty much the "Real" PSO players that have any real basis for liking or hating the darn things. All those, such as myself, who never really played PSO only have stories from people such as yourself to make a judgement on. From what I can tell though, most of the people that like mags, like them for the same reason you seem to hate them. Not downing you or anything, cause you have a God-given right to dislike mags. It was just the "real" PSO player comment that perplexed me.

RemiusTA
Oct 28, 2011, 12:14 PM
WE WANT TOTAL CUSTOMIZATION, BIKINIS SKIRTS NIPPLE SPIKES AND 3 FEET CHARACTERS WITH GIANT MULTICOLORED EYES

FUCK NO WE DONT WANT STAT CUSTOMIZATION ON MAGS SEGA WHAT ARE YOU STUPID

the square button was useless in PSU anyway. You only use it for pissing off your teammates. On PSU Meseta had value cause you got to buy Majarra and then kick jesus in the teeth.
ikr

Zorafim
Oct 28, 2011, 12:57 PM
On PSU Meseta had value cause you had to buy all your weapons and such with it, both on and offline.

I was gonna point out that inflation got to such a horrible level that meseta could barely get you anything, but then I remembered I bought all my 12*s for about 100k each and I decorated my room for much less than that.
Debunking my argument before I even start. Well played, sir.

Kent
Oct 28, 2011, 03:03 PM

Real PSO players liked MAGs for what they were (which was a customizable stat-boosting accessory with PB and situational functions), and understood that they were flawed.

The real problem with MAGs could be solved by making it so characters couldn't equip a MAG that was more than twice their level, by scaling back the stat benefits of a MAG more than twice the character's level, and/or by dividing the stat benefits of equipping a MAG between base and total stats.

Of course the original implementation of MAGs had problems, but they were problems that could be overcome without removing them entirely; it was actually a well-received and widely-liked customization feature.

RemiusTA
Oct 28, 2011, 09:56 PM
Real PSO players liked MAGs for what they were (which was a customizable stat-boosting accessory with PB and situational functions), and understood that they were flawed.

LOL'd @ "REAL PSO PLAYERS"

but no seriously, i don't remember any flaws in the Mag system. The only flaws i remember is that the healing PB was absolutely positively useless.

Not to say it was perfect, but just to say it had no real flaws. I used to think the blasts were utterly useless themselves until i realized how IQ/Synchro worked, and anyone who knew a smidget about chaining was able to thoroughly wreck rooms with their teammates present. Passing it to my subs was probably the best thing about them.

It would always beef you up alot, but you usually were forced to make another one anyway.

Honestly people.....It's no different than PSU's ability to take your discs and pass them to your lower level character. By the time they change into their first real class, they'll probably be able to already use the best of their effects, which gives them an absurd advantage over actual newbies starting out, ESPECIALLY if they're a force or hunter. Haha, it's almost exactly the same because PA Levels were the clostest thing to character customization you could possibly get out of PSU.

Or any other MMO's ability to give a newbie loads of money relative to their level, making progression only a matter of killing shit instead of actually having to sell/trade with NPCs and whatnot.

Selphea
Oct 28, 2011, 10:04 PM
...when did mags offer stat customization?

Selphea
Oct 28, 2011, 10:09 PM
They offered stat increases, but not stat customization because everyone ends up with the same stats.

RemiusTA
Oct 28, 2011, 10:22 PM
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/are-you-serious-rage-face-240x180.jpg

Edit: just to not look like a jerk; stat customization and controlled stat increases are the same thing, Selphia. Just because everyone probably ends up with the same stats in the end doesn't mean they wern't given the complete opportunity not to. If we were talking about Materials, then there would be debate, since you have to actually find them first.

And TECHNICALLY this is probably far less true than you think it is unless everyone is running around with mags with perfect, standardized stats, which was definitely not the case. And even if it was, there's nothing to say everyone fed their mag on the same charts, with the same pattern (which is definitely not the case either.) From 1-200 levels you're freely able to increase ATP, MST and ATA as you see fit, which PROBABLY had much more to do with whatever weapons you found along your journey than what would have been useful endgame (like MOST MMOs will do, which usually give you a choice over stat increases but are almost ALWAYS "go full STR" or "go full INT"), increasing the differences even more.

tl;dr

yes, it offered stat customization. But regardless, both MAGs and Materials gave you free control over which stat you were increasing, which is more than you get with, oh say type abilities that are standard to everyone and you probably do have the same stats as the guy on your left.

Angelo
Oct 28, 2011, 10:24 PM
They offered stat increases, but not stat customization because everyone ends up with the same stats.

I... what?!

If that were true then mats wouldn't have been such a huge deal.

Mats, and MAGs made your stats very customizable, and the fact that you could switch your MAG on the fly made it easy to switch your 'build' in a sense. Just reached Ult and your HUmar can't hit shit? Just switch to a high DEX MAG.

Selphea
Oct 28, 2011, 11:12 PM
The only real choice you had on a Mag was Pow vs Mnd.

Def wasn't worth raising because it was at a 1:1 ratio while other stats were 1:2, while Def mats dropped like candy. Dex also wasn't worth raising past the requisite 45 or 50 for Sato/Rati/etc because the effect of Dex to Pow/Mnd was 1:4 (0.5 ATA per Dex vs 2 ATP/MST per Pow/Mnd), compared to 1:2 on H/Arm vs H/Power. If you need ATA in Ult, you're better off equipping 2 H/Arms or even G/Arms and a 5/145/50/0 mag than equipping a full dex mag and 2 G/Powers. And IIRC both H/Arms and G/Arms could be hunted in Very Hard although I might be wrong there, it's been a while.

Also, Mats really weren't a big deal. I think the market rate was like, 3-5 mats per PD? Except Pow which was usually closer to 2 per PD but even then the average player usually finds about half the mats they need by lv100 anyway, unless they play in randoms with Humars who ninja all the loot or something.

The PSO paradigm wasn't too different from the usual MMO "Go full STR" or "Go full INT" too. For casters, it was "Cap MST", and for melee characters, including melee FOs it was "Max ATP on mag, cap ATA using units if necessary, otherwise cap ATP". As mentioned, Def mats dropped like candy. Also, Mags don't do a thing for EVP.

As far as weapon reqs go, they stop being a problem by level 70 or so, except for maybe Holy Ray on Humars. There's tech reqs too, but I wouldn't call equipping 2 G/Minds or a mind mag just learn a tech, then unequipping immediately after "customization" per se. The only exception is Forces, since they actually get a choice whether to tech or melee. Even then though, by level 100, if not 130, a FOmarl or FOmar, who are the main melee FOs, should be able to max ATP, ATA and MST, and EXP-wise that's only 10% of the way to 200. So the remaining 90% of the game, they don't get any "customization" anymore.

PSU actually does a better job than PSO due to GAS, since you can't "go full ATP", it's capped at 5 points out of a total of 14 to 18 points. So far on JP, I don't think I've seen an AT with the same stat GASes as I do. ATs are rare, and of those, melee ATs are rarer for some reason. Evasion-based melee ATs especially, seem ultra-rare.

C-Shan
Oct 28, 2011, 11:43 PM
WE WANT TOTAL CUSTOMIZATION, BIKINIS SKIRTS NIPPLE SPIKES AND 3 FEET CHARACTERS WITH GIANT MULTICOLORED EYES

FUCK NO WE DONT WANT STAT CUSTOMIZATION ON MAGS SEGA WHAT ARE YOU STUPID

I laughed...

HARD.

Def wasn't worth raising because it was at a 1:1 ratio while other stats were 1:2, while Def mats dropped like candy. Dex also wasn't worth raising past the requisite 45 or 50 for ...
This man has obviously not played PSO for any expansive period of time.
RAngers would build their low level classes PURE ATA mags just so they could use the Heaven's Striker, with the HS Mag, to power level in episode 4.

You're trying to argue that limiting how far we can pump a stat is a BETTER IDEA than allowing full customization too.

Zyrusticae
Oct 29, 2011, 12:03 AM
I love this incredibly, hilariously pointless debate.

If only Sega released actual info with this update.

If only...

Edit: I mean, you guys can argue about the merits of the old PSO mag system all day and night long (hell, you seem more than happy to do just that), but this has almost no relevance whatsoever to how they will actually play in PSO2.

PSO did not have dodge rolls, skill trees, blocking, jumping, sprinting, or PAs. Suffice it to say, PSO2 mags are going to be very different from PSO mags.

Selphea
Oct 29, 2011, 12:06 AM
RAngers would build their low level classes PURE ATA mags just so they could use the Heaven's Striker, with the HS Mag, to power level in episode 4.

You're trying to argue that limiting how far we can pump a stat is a BETTER IDEA than allowing full customization too.

You're right. I capped, took 2 more alts to level 130+ and quit when I realized the game didn't have very much more to offer due to lack of customization (!), which was just barely after Sega tweaked the Ep4 drops.

But I'll entertain you.

How many people had HS with HS Mag on the retail servers?
Actually, how many people even bothered to stick around by that point?
At what level does the advantage of HS + Striker Mag diminish and how many hours does that method actually shave off per character as opposed to time spent hunting the 1/1707 + 1/3344 drop for a Striker + Striker Mag?
Where did I mention that "full customization", whatever that means, was a better idea?

RemiusTA
Oct 29, 2011, 12:11 AM

Def wasn't worth raising because it was at a 1:1 ratio while other stats were 1:2, while Def mats dropped like candy. Dex also wasn't worth raising past the requisite 45 or 50 for Sato/Rati/etc because the effect of Dex to Pow/Mnd was 1:4 (0.5 ATA per Dex vs 2 ATP/MST per Pow/Mnd), compared to 1:2 on H/Arm vs H/Power. If you need ATA in Ult, you're better off equipping 2 H/Arms or even G/Arms and a 5/145/50/0 mag than equipping a full dex mag and 2 G/Powers. And IIRC both H/Arms and G/Arms could be hunted in Very Hard although I might be wrong there, it's been a while.

Also, Mats really weren't a big deal. I think the market rate was like, 3-5 mats per PD? Except Pow which was usually closer to 2 per PD but even then the average player usually finds about half the mats they need by lv100 anyway, unless they play in randoms with Humars who ninja all the loot or something.

The PSO paradigm wasn't too different from the usual MMO "Go full STR" or "Go full INT" too. For casters, it was "Cap MST", and for melee characters, including melee FOs it was "Max ATP on mag, cap ATA using units if necessary, otherwise cap ATP". As mentioned, Def mats dropped like candy. Also, Mags don't do a thing for EVP.

As far as weapon reqs go, they stop being a problem by level 70 or so, except for maybe Holy Ray on Humars. There's tech reqs too, but I wouldn't call equipping 2 G/Minds or a mind mag just learn a tech, then unequipping immediately after "customization" per se. The only exception is Forces, since they actually get a choice whether to tech or melee. Even then though, by level 100, if not 130, a FOmarl or FOmar, who are the main melee FOs, should be able to max ATP, ATA and MST, and EXP-wise that's only 10% of the way to 200. So the remaining 90% of the game, they don't get any "customization" anymore.

PSU actually does a better job than PSO due to GAS, since you can't "go full ATP", it's capped at 5 points out of a total of 14 to 18 points. So far on JP, I don't think I've seen an AT with the same stat GASes as I do. ATs are rare, and of those, melee ATs are rarer for some reason. Evasion-based melee ATs especially, seem ultra-rare.

right right right okay so yeah, you're taking issues with the game itself and attributing it to mags. There was nothing wrong with the idea. The issues you bring up are all emergent factors of the way the game panned out towards the end, it has nothing to do with a flaw in the design of MAGs, like say the issue of how having less DEF actually helped you out in ultimate mode sometimes. Im not even about to get into PSU's GAS system, because i quit far before it was implemented, but all of it's content seems to be for those at the level cap. I like the concept of GAS, but i dont think it's a good replacement for the interactive stat customization idea that MAGs gave. That and it is a fucking stupid acronym.

And its kind of funny when people attribute the conditions of endgame to the entire game. It's really quite pointless. EVERY videogame becomes stupid easy, broken, flawed and annoying at endgame, with tons of things that would have been easy to see in hindsight had thousands of people put hundreds of hours into the game and told them about it...and uh, most of that stuff has nothing to do with MAGs...what are we talking about again? Are you still saying Mags didn't allow for customization, or are you arguing that stat customization was worthless because the game bottlenecks you anyway? I'd say those are both are kind of...well weak, because PSO was just not that kind of game. At least, it wasn't to me. Me and my buddies were fully capable of completing Ultimate Mode without any of those broken weapons you guys constantly talk about. (He was a Ramar, i was a Fomar, and yes, i only used Techniques.)

But no matter how you spin it, PSO's customization features for everything but character appearance was far more indepth than PSU's choices. Stats, armor, weapons, everything. PSP2 was the only game that came close. I would have liked the Type Abilities idea if they gave you more situations to actually use it. But i mained a Force in that game, so NOTHING about PSP2's class customization fucking worked for me anyway. So im quite biased.

Selphea
Oct 29, 2011, 12:35 AM
What I'm saying is that the Mag system only gave an illusion of customization, rather than actual customization. It looks like the player has choice, but in most practical cases there is only one "correct" answer, so the player doesn't really have to do any difficult decision making as much as tedious research. Essentially, it increases complexity, but not actual depth. Kind of like how when Jin Kisaragi lands a 6S to 5S launch, he do j.K-S, dj. K-S, Ice Car or he can do a relaunch for more damage while cornering the opponent, except Blazblue has more depth because the hard part isn't deciding what to do after landing a 6S to 5S launch, but how to land a 6S to 5S launch in the first place.

For further reading: http://www.design.wrong.net/?p=13

RemiusTA
Oct 29, 2011, 12:52 AM
jin kisar-

.....what is a 6S? Do you mean C? No button named slash in Blazblue. And jin is a fuckass character anyway. Ive played people who use him that will sometimes deliberately use a low hitstun move that will bluebeat the combo so they can reset you with one of this 4 hundred trillion reset options...And do I play you on blazblue regularly? Why are we talking about BB? :0

No, i do not like jin. Although i recently started to learn him and he's almost as fun as Bang with all the stupid shit you can try that people will get hit by anyway. But his S-tier reset options are just really, really annoying.

MAGs aren't anywhere close to a situation of Complexity vs. Depth -- that's more an article for PSU's absolutely atrocious grinding, elemental and synthesis systems. Like i said, hindsight is 20/20. PSO's customization was never an "illusion", it just wasn't 100% practical when you view ALL of your options. You can max out ATP, or you could max out ATA and make use of your better accuracy by equipping weapons with status specials, or you could become a shitty psuedo force by maxing out MST. Either way, you are still capable of beating the game, albiet a bit slower than those who know everything ABOUT the game. And if none of that works, you can simply equip a different mag.

When i introduce new friends to PSO, they always ask me "what do i feed my mag", and my reply is always "whatever stat you think you need". And it has always been the correct answer -- there is no way to raise a mag on PSO and ruin your character, which is definitely possible on MMOs that have similar features...well, unless you're a Cast with an MST mag, but thats really about it. If you find a weapon that requires more ATP, then feed it ATP. A gun? ATA. If you're tired of missing, ATA. No matter what you feed your mag, most charts automatically add to DEF anyway, probably as a bonus for leveling it up.

And i guess people also forget MAGs were also the source of varied photon blasts, donation/chaining collaboration (if you had a team that was coherent enough) and one of the few sources of actual visible character customization on PSO. They added to stats, gave you attacks/buffs, and different evolutions even gave you special perks upon hitting 100% PB / falling below a certain health level. They were a WONDERFUL concept, and expanding upon what PSO started would be a genius start for this game IMO. There was just so much to do, and so many possibilities with this new engine if they simply expanded on the concept of the mag augmenting your abilities. If they opt to remove the idea and replace it with dumb shit like equippable SUVs/Mirages or type abilities, i'll be very disappointed.

Nitro Vordex
Oct 29, 2011, 01:36 AM
What I'm saying is that the Mag system only gave an illusion of customization, rather than actual customization. It looks like the player has choice, but in most practical cases there is only one "correct" answer, so the player doesn't really have to do any difficult decision making as much as tedious research. Essentially, it increases complexity, but not actual depth. Kind of like how when Jin Kisaragi lands a 6S to 5S launch, he do j.K-S, dj. K-S, Ice Car or he can do a relaunch for more damage while cornering the opponent, except Blazblue has more depth because the hard part isn't deciding what to do after landing a 6S to 5S launch, but how to land a 6S to 5S launch in the first place.

For further reading: http://www.design.wrong.net/?p=13
I :lol: 'd with the Blazblue reference.

Best be an "ARROWS OF ICE" PA.

RemiusTA
Oct 29, 2011, 01:53 AM
Jin Kisaragi outfit

character shouts "you....BITCH!" everytime a female knocks you over

Taijutsu-Joshua
Oct 29, 2011, 02:05 AM
That dude had some serious issues... still, he's my best fighter.

RemiusTA
Oct 29, 2011, 02:13 AM
It's funny, when it first came out and i was a complete scrub, i used to hate people who used him because of that damn Ice Car. But nothing worse worse than having to wiggle out of his ice. But now he's probably more annoying than he ever was in CT.

But yeah, he's probably the most screwed up character in a fighting game i can possibly think of. He's just...creepy. There's like nothing right about him. It's hilarious too, because when the game first came out and i saw him, i just knew he was gonna be a cliche silent elitist bastard with cool sword techniques.

and he was, except with oh-so many twists....

Selphea
Oct 29, 2011, 03:25 AM
>_>

I swear everyone on this forum plays BlazBlue

NoiseHERO
Oct 29, 2011, 03:30 AM
I play final fantasy... 9...

Noel Vermillion
Oct 29, 2011, 07:46 AM
derailed kinda

I didn't mean to offend anyone with the word "real." what I meant was players who played pso for longer than the duration of normal mode.

mags were cool and I welcome them back, I just don't think they should be as absurdly implemented as they were before. I personally like raising my character to be a good fighter and possibly spending points ala Diablo or MapleStory, but imagine if you were playing WoW and your pet was your talent tree, and if you swap pets you suddenly have a DIFFERENT talent tree. it just seems weird :(

pretty sure sega will avoid doing the stat based mags as before though.

Jonth
Oct 29, 2011, 08:10 AM
I'm playing Final Fantasy 7, Final Fantasy 4, Phantasy Star 4, Total Annihilation, and getting ready to start Fable 2... I'm never going to get through any of these games...

Garnet_Moon
Oct 29, 2011, 08:13 AM
>_>

I don't! I play Arcana Heart! Konoha~ :3

Macman
Oct 29, 2011, 05:45 PM
PSZ had stat-boosting Mags and they didn't seem broken as hell. I had a 99 Mind mag given to my FOmar at level 1 and it only really doubled his starting damage, so it's definitely possible.

Taijutsu-Joshua
Oct 29, 2011, 06:22 PM
>_>

More like, I've tried it, didn't like it, and sold it.

C-Shan
Oct 30, 2011, 03:43 AM
PSZ had stat-boosting Mags and they didn't seem broken as hell. I had a 99 Mind mag given to my FOmar at level 1 and it only really doubled his starting damage, so it's definitely possible.

This.

Also, while they were infinitely easier to raise, I didn't have as much fun with PSZ's MAGs.
Probably because of the resolution and the mag BASICALLY looking the same no matter what because of it.

Speaking of PSZ, do we have any information on RAnewms and RAnewearls?
They added HUnewm/HUmarl in PSZ, which left FOcas- and RAnew- for later games.

Based upon the character creation style it seems like they'd be there, but I don't seem to recall any images out there.

NoiseHERO
Oct 30, 2011, 07:05 AM
This.

Also, while they were infinitely easier to raise, I didn't have as much fun with PSZ's MAGs.
Probably because of the resolution and the mag BASICALLY looking the same no matter what because of it.

Speaking of PSZ, do we have any information on RAnewms and RAnewearls?
They added HUnewm/HUmarl in PSZ, which left FOcas- and RAnew- for later games.

Based upon the character creation style it seems like they'd be there, but I don't seem to recall any images out there.

Every combination is possible, there isn't any of that class locked garba-stuff.

And yeah you can browse for those pics, but all of the different outfits weren't made ingame yet. There's only been a few vague glances at ranewm and ranewearl. Both not that impressive so I assume they're still being worked on.

Mitz
Oct 30, 2011, 11:44 AM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-NzI16Bl1GLc/TmoIZwgd7oI/AAAAAAAAAPA/YzN8s00_wIM/s400/jackie-chan-meme.png

Masterflower
Oct 30, 2011, 12:28 PM
>_>

I swear everyone on this forum plays an Arc System Works game.

Fixed ^_^

Vashyron
Oct 30, 2011, 02:24 PM
I :lol: 'd with the Blazblue reference.

Best be an "ARROWS OF ICE" PA.

FU-RIN-KA-ZAAAAAAN (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=C2laO8MNaik#t=76s) "Photon Blast" Plz.

RemiusTA
Oct 30, 2011, 02:58 PM
BB is crack son. "Analyzing Subject....Dignity......undetectable. Mammary Glands.....below detectable parameters." Is where i realized i loved that game.

I actually played piowah from this forum on PSN. Kicked. My. Ass.

I'd love to play most of you people here if you have a PS3. But be warned, most of my time on netplay on that game consists of finding terrible ways to troll people.

NightHour13
Nov 14, 2011, 09:26 AM
Hi Guys,

Spoken like a true Skwisgaar Skwigelf, busting down the door and saying that earns you respect. Welcome to the blood. PSO.

It's early art I dont think anything ever stays the way it originally was conceived in the DV process. I welcome a more simple design but lets get to wings and robotic accessories.

Arkios
Nov 14, 2011, 12:38 PM

^ This.

They could always put a "ceiling" on stats at lower levels to prevent you from having an overpowered low level character. Then just have the "ceiling" on stats scale upwards as you level.

In reality, it's all just a game of numbers. How MAGs (and the numbers) are implemented is going to be the deciding factor on whether they're broken or not...

Can you imagine how amazing it would be if you could BATTLE your MAGs against other MAGs... like a Pokemon mini-game? :D

Zorafim
Nov 14, 2011, 03:20 PM
WoW's already doing that. We can't copy WoW.

Kent
Nov 14, 2011, 03:25 PM
Can you imagine how amazing it would be if you could BATTLE your MAGs against other MAGs... like a Pokemon mini-game? :D
This reminds me of a pair of recent releases that are somewhat-related to this idea.

Fusion: Genesis for XBLA and Fusion: Sentient for Windows Phones.

Two completely different games, each available as a wholly-standalone product, but they have interplay with each other revolving around these things called Sentients, which actually have a lot of direct comparisons to MAGs. In Genesis, Sentients are sidekick add-ons for your ship (it's a twin-stick shooter, but with a world opened up and designed around mining/trading commodities, faction battles and whatnot, like Privateer or Freelancer - with a dash of some Demon's/Dark Souls-style passive multiplayer component) that function on their own and have their own stats and abilities. They're a pretty big part of the game.

Sentient, on the other hand, is a small-scale RTS where you control a squad of up to five units to fight on a battlefield for whatever goal... It feels like a simplified, real-time Final Fantasy Tactics, in its emphasis on RPG-style progression for your units and having to strategize with a small number of units, instead of a more macro-level StarCraft-y sort of RTS. These units though, are the very same Sentients as in Genesis.

The interplay between the games? You can send a sentient from your XBLA game to your phone game, and use them as units in battle, keeping all of their progress in levelling up, and then transfer them back to continue using them in your XBLA game (you can also buy/sell them through a cross-platform auction house on either version). It's a really cool idea, I think - something like that with MAGs could be... interesting, to say the least.

Or they could, you know, do that C.A.R.D. thing as a side-game. Might be a nice treat for those of us who never got the chance to play it in the first place.

Arkios
Nov 14, 2011, 04:08 PM
WoW's already doing that. We can't copy WoW.

I'd be lying if I said that wasn't where I got the idea from.

Or they could, you know, do that C.A.R.D. thing as a side-game. Might be a nice treat for those of us who never got the chance to play it in the first place.

I would love this even more. I thought EPIII was really cool, but it never felt like it should have been it's own separate game. I'd love to see them bring it back as a side-game though.

Kent
Nov 14, 2011, 08:24 PM
I'm a fan of side-games being tied directly into the main game, while still having their own depth. In something like Final Fantasy XI, it would've been great if Tetra Master were both included with it (rather than having a separate fee) and playable while actually logged into Final Fantasy XI - as a time-waster if you're waiting on auctions or a friend to come online or whatnot... And then, of course, random cards could be awarded as an extra (not substitute) loot for boss kills and whatnot.

Oh, the missed opportunities and wasted potential.

RemiusTA
Nov 14, 2011, 08:51 PM
I agree. Games these days usuallly take themselves too seriously (or focus too much one one aspect of the game) to ever risk actually going out of their way to create something else fun to do that isn't tied directly into the battle system itself.

Final Fantasy used to be so good at that kind of thing, but sometime after FF7 they started to cut back on it. FF9 is an obvious exception.

I would love this even more. I thought EPIII was really cool, but it never felt like it should have been it's own separate game. I'd love to see them bring it back as a side-game though.u crazy. Episode III deserved its own sequel. All that game needed were a few more cards, maybe add another twist to the battle system, and for the love of god a new graphical engine with some animations to represent the card actions a bit more.

Episode III is what i really loved Sonic Team for back in the day. It had tons of depth and work put into how it played. Alot like the Chao from Sonic Adventure 1 and 2. Alot of people don't realize that Sonic Adventure (2 mostly) had another entire game put into it with the Chao, if you actually indulged yourself in it. It wasn't tied into the GAMEPLAY of the actual game, but the replay value for the stages was more than just the stages themselves -- taking time out to search for the animals and Chaos Drives were mainly useful for the chao raising aspect of the game...which was very well programmed, and had tons of content built inside of it.

D-Inferno
Nov 15, 2011, 12:57 AM
Chao were fun, and had a ton of depth indeed. The problem is that you couldn't really do anything with the Chao themselves besides race your against others(and all you could do was boost them a little).

I do need to play EP3 sometime.

RikkiBlackNanobeast
Nov 15, 2011, 10:54 PM
Blitzball is the reason my brother never beat FFX. Just imagine if they made an online Blitzball game.

RemiusTA
Nov 15, 2011, 11:07 PM
Chao were fun, and had a ton of depth indeed. The problem is that you couldn't really do anything with the Chao themselves besides race your against others(and all you could do was boost them a little).

I do need to play EP3 sometime.

If you had another friend who raised Chao, that was all it needed. The only other game that had playtime nearing the level of PSO on my GCN was Melee (which probably had more) and Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. Which is unheard of for a platformer.

•Col•
Nov 15, 2011, 11:58 PM
If you had another friend who raised Chao, that was all it needed. The only other game that had playtime nearing the level of PSO on my GCN was Melee (which probably had more) and Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. Which is unheard of for a platformer.

^This.

My brother, a close friend, and myself all played Sonic Adverture 2 Battle, which fueled each of us to spend a shameful amount of time raising them.

RemiusTA
Nov 16, 2011, 01:34 PM
Blitzball is the reason my brother never beat FFX. Just imagine if they made an online Blitzball game.

Surprisingly, my first playthrough of FFX i didn't pay too much attention to it. But my second playthrough, the game is very captivating.

But unfortunately, it wouldn't really make a good standalone game at all. The reason it was so fun is because it really tied into the story of FFX, and was a fun departure from wacking stuff with numbers. Just like if you had fun with the card games in 8/9, or the snowboarding/motorcycle/arcade games in 7. They're fun because...well, i dont know. Because they're part of the game lol.

Now, if FF15 or whatever (or FFX's blitzball) had a minigame that's tied into the story that allowed for online play, hell yes, i'd eat it up.

Cayenne
Nov 16, 2011, 02:15 PM
Blitzball is the reason why I never finished FFX, also the voice acting, boring story, ridiculously easy combat, and boring characters.

Funny because I'm a HUGE FF fan.

Arkios
Nov 16, 2011, 04:08 PM
You guys should have played Sonic Adventure 2 on the DC when it first came out. You could upload your Chao to your VMU and then take it with you and feed/level the Chao like a Tamagotchi. Talk about spending a lot of time playing a game... I'd have my Chao with me in class and be feeding it all day during school.

Man I miss the Dreamcast days, I loved that system.

•Col•
Nov 16, 2011, 05:12 PM
You guys should have played Sonic Adventure 2 on the DC when it first came out. You could upload your Chao to your VMU and then take it with you and feed/level the Chao like a Tamagotchi. Talk about spending a lot of time playing a game... I'd have my Chao with me in class and be feeding it all day during school.

Man I miss the Dreamcast days, I loved that system.

I played SA2 on the Dreamcast as well.

Never did any of that VMU stuff because I could never figure out how to turn it off right, so the batteries would always die in a couple days after buying one.

But more ashamedly, I cried when my first chao died in SA2 on the Dreamcast(There was no reincarnation system like there is in the Gamecube version. Once the chao's life is up, it's gone.)

I was so upset that I turned the game off without saving. As soon as I loaded the game back up, I went and picked up the chao right away so it couldn't die. I hoped that it would somehow erase the fact that it was supposed to die, but as soon as I set him down he went into the cocoon thing and died anyway.

I turned the game off again without saving and haven't played the Dreamcast version since then. Not letting that little dude disappear forever. Ended up recreating him once I got the gamecube version though.

Yes, I am ashamed.

NoiseHERO
Nov 16, 2011, 08:57 PM
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOL I did that in harvest moon but it was so the old man wouldn't take my horse away, and there wasn't any crying.

Just manly rage because having a horse was cool.

•Col•
Nov 16, 2011, 09:17 PM
In my defense, I was like 11 at the time. D:

D-Inferno
Nov 16, 2011, 09:47 PM
Chao die only if you treated it poorly. If youj treat it well, it will instead go back into an egg, and be reborn with 10% of it's stats at Lv1.

NoiseHERO
Nov 16, 2011, 09:49 PM
Your first chao is like your first born child, It has to grow up the fastest and learn to do things on it's own because the younger ones need more attention and are secretly loved more, till the oldest one is dead.

RemiusTA
Nov 17, 2011, 12:09 AM
Chao die only if you treated it poorly. If youj treat it well, it will instead go back into an egg, and be reborn with 10% of it's stats at Lv1.

Nah, no matter what you do, they'll always die of age, although i dont really remember what age they'll do it at.

I played SA2 on the Dreamcast as well.

Never did any of that VMU stuff because I could never figure out how to turn it off right, so the batteries would always die in a couple days after buying one.

But more ashamedly, I cried when my first chao died in SA2 on the Dreamcast(There was no reincarnation system like there is in the Gamecube version. Once the chao's life is up, it's gone.)

I was so upset that I turned the game off without saving. As soon as I loaded the game back up, I went and picked up the chao right away so it couldn't die. I hoped that it would somehow erase the fact that it was supposed to die, but as soon as I set him down he went into the cocoon thing and died anyway.

I turned the game off again without saving and haven't played the Dreamcast version since then. Not letting that little dude disappear forever. Ended up recreating him once I got the gamecube version though.

Yes, I am ashamed. Lol...they reincarnated on the Dreamcast as well, it just must not have liked you enough. IIRC, when they reincarnate on Dreamcast though, they don't keep any of their stats.

My chao was so fucking awesome, i'd walk in the room and it'd start following me and asking me for handshakes and stuff. If i Whistled, he'd look up, drop whatever he was doing, turn to me, and run to me with his arms out. If i picked him up, he'd show signs of wonderous bliss.

....the AI for the Chao was really, really good. That, and they were god damn adorable. Like i said, a sidequest (or rather, side-game) in their games like that was the reason i fell in love with Sonic Team as a developer back then. PSO and PSO Episode III is another example of a really well-developed and in-depth game system, of course.

Then along came psu.

Jinketsu
Nov 17, 2011, 06:51 AM
And every Sonic game after Sonic Adventure 2 ever.

•Col•
Nov 17, 2011, 02:53 PM
Nah, no matter what you do, they'll always die of age, although i dont really remember what age they'll do it at.
Lol...they reincarnated on the Dreamcast as well, it just must not have liked you enough. IIRC, when they reincarnate on Dreamcast though, they don't keep any of their stats.

Wat.

But it came to me when I whistled and stuff.... Why would it die, then.... ;-;

Now I feel even worse about it.

GOD WHY

RemiusTA
Nov 17, 2011, 02:57 PM
there....

...there must have been someone else...!!!

RemiusTA
Nov 20, 2011, 08:51 PM
[spoiler-box]lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlmu8bE_BnQ&feature=related

Sorry not very related to anything, but in terms of PSO2 and action games, i just wanted to show guys the difference between "skill based action gameplay" and "pso/psu/psp2". Mostly to elaborate on what i mean when i say those games are able to be as difficult as they are because the characters are secretly completely OP when you learn to really use their various techniques right. And also mostly to note the difference between skill-based gameplay and just bad mechanics that break the game.

DMC4 Dante is the most amazingly wonderfully broken character in an action game ever[/spoiler-box]

pythonxz
Mar 15, 2012, 12:53 PM
It seems our laundry list of wants are being fulfilled one-by-one. Mags were number 1 on my list! If there's a sato-like mag, it's mine.

Kazzi
Mar 15, 2012, 01:08 PM
It seems our laundry list of wants are being fulfilled one-by-one. Mags were number 1 on my list! If there's a sato-like mag, it's mine.

There was a picture of a Mag that looked similar:
http://i39.tinypic.com/8y5340.png

lostinseganet
Mar 15, 2012, 01:17 PM
But you know what else? If we could talk to our mags like you can with a apple suri only our computers can henshin!!