PDA

View Full Version : PSO 2 Memories and Weapons :3

Pilla
Oct 21, 2011, 02:09 AM
Hey!

I've been playing PSO since it first started and have collected every possible PSO game created. Frankly speaking, I am a big fan of the games and have played all but Blue Burst and Phantasy Star one.

I created this topic to just ring some bells on what made me love the game so much in the past, what disappointed me in the present, and what I hope does not happen in the future.

What Made PSO Fun TO Me

The rare weapons with SPECIAL funtions. Items that shot out shockwaves (Olga Flow sword was one of them but those things where not legit), Lavis Blades, shields that shot hearts.. you know what I mean right? I loved finding rares on PSO, I would spend countless hours looking for them... being back in the past when I first got the game for making straight A's I can remember seeing a double saber and loving it to death, simply because it looked AWESOME and absorbed MP from the monsters. Madam's Umbrealla would have such a colorful and pretty configuration with my FOmarl, I would equip it just to look pretty in front of my friends who played those countless hours with me.

You see, I loved the hunt of a rare because back then I wasn't smart enough to look up drop charts...everything was a mystery to me. Sindow Blades giving weak Shifta and Deband, items that had some additonal funtion... let us not forget the Heaven's Punisher that only worked at certain times. As I play through games and age in my mind and body... I mostly see people only care about what is balance. That statement and concern is GOOD, since people always find exploits with unbalanced...but I miss having weapons that had additional perks instead of stats. My disappointment with PSU and the portable games was that most new weapons only meant some stat...except the frozen shooter and Twin Blaze on portable 2 which seemed to have really high elemental procs but also harmed the user if not equipped with the proper defense. I remember the parasite armor harming users on PSO, and weapons that gave you confuse because it was so badass that it "tried to control you". I seriously loved the lore within the game with SPECIAL WEAPONS, I hope PSO 2 has that guy who has to look at the weapon first before it can be used... such a mystery. I could type pages worth of things I loved about the hunt of a fresh new weapon but I do not wish to bore you with my old words.

Endless Nightmare

Good exp, good way to get money and items. I still remember how my friends and strangers would band up and we'd complete these crazy missions. I loved it, I could easily grind and raise my MAG doing these intense nightmare typed missions. I hope PSO 2 has something like this and more, it was the perfect way to test and level yourself.

Story Within The Game

I actually tried to "Save Rico" by doing all types of weird things in PSO, reading her messages at the start felt like I had my own tutor and friend. I loved as I progress I always looked up to this mystery hunter as I struggled through the forest. I loved how she figured things out and seemingly helped. I was horrified when I made it to ruins, the tone she talked in and how she seemed frighted on top of the difficulty of Ruins scared me. I actually stopped on her last message... it was so scary to think "what's going on!?" as she talked about missing her father. The climax of finding out her fate terrified me as I faced a boss that was like no other... the area and the blades spinning was....so perfect. Finding out the fate of Pioneer one and hoping they where alive somewhere... even the side quests where scary, fighting that FOmarl in the hallway as she seemed possessed...I actually tried to save her.

All that and more...so much more...is what made me love the game... wow. Anyways, I fear that PSO2 will forget the roots of what made PSO so great... I hope not... I hated PSU and portables on the PSP because it seemed so alien to what made PSO so addicting. What are your thoughts? The game is not out yet, but I always find it fun to reminiscence on the past. I have a GOOD feeling about this next PSO...something about it tells me it will not be disappointing, I did not feel this sensation when PSU was announced... but me and my long time PSO vet friend felt "this is it".

BIG OLAF
Oct 21, 2011, 02:11 AM
I fear that PSO2 will forget the roots of what made PSO so great... I hope not...

Oh boy.

Pilla
Oct 21, 2011, 02:16 AM
I understand if that might have been said countless times, I tried not to go into that direction ^^;; even if said things do not come true, I have a good feeling this will be what the old and new can dig into :3

Vornall
Oct 21, 2011, 06:01 AM
Wow you just got me thinking back to the old days. I played since dreamcast, all the way up to PSU. (To me a bit of a let down.) The level design, story, bosses, weapons, enemies. It was all superb! I really hope they bring that familiar feel to the new game with a nice twist to make it feel fresh. If it's as addicting as the original then I'll wind up level 76 in 2 days like I did the gamecube version hahaha. Boy do I miss all the cool people I met, all the things I earned and achieved (except getting to level 200. Only like 153) I miss running the forest-ruins with my best friend, staying up to the crack of dawn to hit the next 0! (10,20,30 etc.) I'm super stoked for this game.

yoshiblue
Oct 21, 2011, 12:39 PM
Well, it can't be as bad as the Halo fans and their delicate dreams of Halo 4.

Macman
Oct 21, 2011, 03:22 PM
Weapons that differ more than just "this one has x stat and this one has y stat" were far more interesting. That's the only thing I'll say here.

ANIMEniac
Oct 24, 2011, 08:48 AM
i agree 100%. its funny because a while back i was telling a friend of mine (that played PSU, but not with me. we met playing Aion) about all of the cool things in PSO and she kept saying after every point i made "wow, why did PSU suck then?" lol

i love how some weapons folded away when not in use, how there were special nuances to them, every thing you mentioned!

ALSO, i hated how PSU's story had kiddie gloves on the whole time. PSO was not afraid to kill off your favorite characters, even if they did have a nack. in PSU, you apparently couldn't pay them enough to kill Hyuga for us. PSU's story was soooo predictable at every turn, there was only 1 real shock, and at this point i cant even remember what that was.

One thing i think PSO's story did right, that 90% of games today don't, was that you were never pre-destined to be the hero. you were just another up start joining a free-lance force, and got wrapped up in saving the world. way too many games, MMO's and other, start off by telling you "you are part of a chosen few(thousand)" and that it was your destiny to do yada-yada. or even that "your skills are far above your peers, let me introduce you to the president of the cosmos at level 2"

ug... so i may have trailed off a bit.

TLDR version: they need to bring back the creativity of the story and of the weapons that PSO had!

Zorafim
Oct 24, 2011, 11:11 AM
Haa, this is a dangerous thread. Hopefully now that we're out of the PSU forums, it won't be so bad, since I'm pretty sure everyone agrees with you. Heck, as I was getting PSP2, the guy who gave me the game said "I'm waiting for PSO2". Even outside of PS forums, people love PSO without liking PSU.

I would remain, sceptical about PSO2. I seriously doubt it's going to be a perfect replacement for PSO. I mean, think of other games you have fond memories of. Have their sequels ever lived up to the original game? Especially with a classic as great as PSO, it's going to be hard to top. It's better to just start from scratch, and hope you get something good out of the new game.

Seth Astra
Oct 24, 2011, 11:21 AM
@ANIMEniac: Having recently played PSO for the first time, I'd agree that it doesn't make your character anyone special. Not only that, but you genuinely feel it in the gameplay. As a HUmar, I couldn't even melee my way though the first room. I had to use a handgun and keep running away from the enemies to kill them. Then, by the end of the mission, I died about 5 times in the last room. I liked it.

ANIMEniac
Oct 24, 2011, 01:55 PM
lol, isn't it nice going through a game that doesn't pretend you are the one hero of the world, while you are standing next to 6 other people being told the same thing :P

Zorafim
Oct 24, 2011, 02:35 PM
PSU: Your character is one of the few survivers of a war that destroyed most the solar system, and are heralded by the end as one of the strongest and most valuable member of the most prestigeous defense group in said solar system.

PSP/2: Kicked out of said defense group because you made a decision based on information your superiors didn't know about. Now working as a mercenary.

I gotta say, I think I prefered it when I was a disposable tool. Then at least I could surprise the NPCs.

Fenn777
Oct 24, 2011, 04:01 PM
The story was great because it was strong but not essential. You could play the game without caring for the story; on the other hand, the story didn't feel tacked on and could really enhance your appreciation and enojyment of the game.

I really enjoyed PSO more because I had no outside knowledge of it (This is copy-pasted from my intro thread but I think it's relevant here):

For a few years I just played with my friends, none of us had ever really looked online and read up on the game, so it was one grand adventure! We thought it was the coolest thing when we actually made it to the De Rol Le on Normal. We have tons of great stories, including my finding of a Beam on Ruins normal and feeling like a hero because of it's power. (We liked to roleplay and embellish on the story as we progressed--a lot).

Then disaster struck. After I beat the Ruins on Normal, I shut the game off too early and corrupted the save. And my friend did the same thing like a month after. We played a little more but it was never the same...

(end copy-paste)

I can't wait to bring my character back on PSO2 and come up with some crazy storyline to go along with it.

NoiseHERO
Oct 24, 2011, 04:26 PM
I still think I'm the only one here that play PSO before PSU and liked PSU better.

Maybe it's because of PSU superior community aspects, I play online games to play with other people mostly. PSU was like the god among anime chatrooms or something with plenty of pretty ... chatrooms!

Zorafim
Oct 24, 2011, 04:34 PM
PSU was a pretty good chat program. Among the best I've used, in fact.

ANIMEniac
Oct 24, 2011, 04:43 PM
its funny you say that, because i met 80% of my phantasy star friends (the ones i still have now) on PSOx, and mostly just stuck with them through PSU. at large i hated staying around the 4th floor GCB (even though i made a youtube vid about it :P) and only a hand full of friends i made in PSU i cared to keep beyond that. but i definitely can't disagree that PSU worked very well for a chat program.

Ryoga4523
Oct 24, 2011, 08:52 PM
I share your concerns, and your fond memories of heart stopping red box grabbing runs from back in the day, and I must say, I too sincerely hope that PSO 2 is as awesome as PSO was for me. We all have our stories of how PSO changed the way we played games, and it has permanently etched itself into my heart. I know that sounds lame, but I, like many of you, logged countless hours looking for rare weapons. No other game has given me the adrenaline rush like PSO did when a red box would drop while running a dungeon on Ultimate. (PSU unfortunately did not do the same thing for me). There have been only a handful of games whose successors have been better than their predecessors. PSO being one of them (I include this because every PSO, from PSO, to version 2, to episode 1 and 2, would count as a successor because new content was added each time. I guess it could be considered nowadays as dlc, but back in 2001, it was a new game). All in all, I do hope that this game is not just a trip down memory lane, but enhances the experiences that made this small out of nowhere game a title that has lived on for a decade.

Cast Soldier
Oct 25, 2011, 05:26 PM
I still think I'm the only one here that play PSO before PSU and liked PSU better.

Maybe it's because of PSU superior community aspects, I play online games to play with other people mostly. PSU was like the god among anime chatrooms or something with plenty of pretty ... chatrooms!

Your not the only one. Well I don't like PSU better, I liked them the same. There were features in PSU that I would of loved to be in PSO, conversely there were features in PSO that I would of loved to be in PSU.

I think that PSO2 is going to be a perfect blend of both PSO & PSU/PSP. Actually I think PSO2 is the culmination of the 10 years & the 8 games made thus far. Actually that is the impression I got when I saw the 1st trailer(even if its only in my mind), I hope its true.

Dinosaur
Oct 25, 2011, 05:48 PM
Anyways, I fear that PSO2 will forget the roots of what made PSO so great...

I dunno what you've seen in PSO2 that isn't a throwback to PSO because that's exactly what it is.

Garnet_Moon
Oct 27, 2011, 10:13 PM
I dunno what you've seen in PSO2 that isn't a throwback to PSO because that's exactly what it is.
Well I haven't seen a Fat Rappy yet so....

NoiseHERO
Oct 27, 2011, 10:15 PM
This game has all rappies.

RemiusTA
Oct 27, 2011, 11:56 PM
PSO, from the jump, always had a feeling that my character was pretty much expendable. Probably because you're looking for the principal's daughter, who was like the best hunter ever. And she's dead.

That, and you were surrounded by nothing but military personell the entire game. It just felt like....a futuristic army or merc base. Like most people just went into war and kind of died.

Episode III reinforced this feeling alot. The card art all depicted them fighting pretty vicious enemies, with some of the cards showing people like 2 seconds from getting slaughtered. and the story itself also really heavily helped with this. I say that with no spoilers, though.

Macman
Oct 28, 2011, 04:54 AM
PSO had danger. When you walked your smug level 2 self up to that Hildebear to give it what-for, and you got rocked for two thirds of your health in one slap? That's what it needs.

ANIMEniac
Oct 28, 2011, 05:12 AM
Well I haven't seen a Fat Rappy yet so....

this is true O_O

but honestly, as has already been said, i think that the latest 2 PS games and PSO2 are doing a good job of combining techniques learned throughout the series, so i cant wait to see what this brings!

Garnet_Moon
Oct 28, 2011, 07:08 AM
PSO had danger. When you walked your smug level 2 self up to that Hildebear to give it what-for, and you got rocked for two thirds of your health in one slap? That's what it needs.

Until you found out mobs won't follow you outside a door. I hope they follow you back to the city if you decide to run this time around. That'd be awesome, and less cheap by ducking in, taking potshots, then running out before they get close. Repeat... :\

RemiusTA
Oct 28, 2011, 12:22 PM
There were people who actually did that?

PSO had a much more dangerous feeling because there was only so much your character could do. PSU had the feeling too, but only before AotI came along and the game became easy.

You could run from enemies in PSU as well. The only ones that were really able to follow you were ones that spawned close to the door.

Zorafim
Oct 28, 2011, 12:53 PM
You know, after attacking a single enemy for about two minutes straight simply because I refused to use the element system, I was kinda glad AotI came out.

Garnet_Moon
Oct 28, 2011, 01:46 PM
Did they EVER fix the safe cubby holes in Raffon Meadows in PSU where mobs couldn't follow you in in, but did not despawn and tried to get to you anyway? Y'know, that invisible wall? Anybody think there'll be similiar spots in PSO2? Not that I'm making a force and would like to know... just... y'know... if you find them... do be sure to, uh... file a public complaint in an open forum. :D

RemiusTA
Oct 28, 2011, 02:23 PM
You know, after attacking a single enemy for about two minutes straight simply because I refused to use the element system, I was kinda glad AotI came out.

Yeah, PSU ignoring a system that lets you use more than the square + triangle button was terribly annoying by the time you encountered an enemy not only the same element as your weapon, but resistant to your class's attacking methods. I HATED neudaiz.

It was fun having a weapon in PSO with a shitty insta-kill technique, where you can miss and miss and miss and still end up killing faster than if you killed with damage.

Zorafim
Oct 28, 2011, 02:32 PM
Y'know, that invisible wall?

Didn't fix 'em.

Anybody think there'll be similiar spots in PSO2?

Doubt it'll happen, but I wouldn't be surprised. I'm sure there'll be some system you can abuse to get this effect. Jumping up a rock, perhaps?

RemiusTA
Oct 28, 2011, 02:34 PM
most enemies have been shown to be able to get up there. At least, the savage wolves have no problem jumping to your position.

It may be scripted though, which may be explotable. maybe. It doubt it'd matter though.

NoiseHERO
Oct 28, 2011, 02:43 PM
Talking about that can't walk past opened doors script?

I thought PSO2's fields and missions were all generated as you move along them, so.... if there any doors in this game...?

edit:D-did I post this in the wrong thread? e_e

Macman
Oct 28, 2011, 03:48 PM
Until you found out mobs won't follow you outside a door. I hope they follow you back to the city if you decide to run this time around. That'd be awesome, and less cheap by ducking in, taking potshots, then running out before they get close. Repeat... :\Only reason that worked was because the enemies would move back to their starting positions whenever you left the room. If they didn't do that, door camping would just screw you over.

RemiusTA
Oct 28, 2011, 09:52 PM
They do that in every game though. They aren't allowed to leave their area, probably because if they could chase you throughout the entire level, they'd have serious resource issues and more glitches to account for than they probably want to.

I think the biggest thing here will be how adept enemies are at chasing you onto platforms. Lets hope the enemies have HALFWAY decent AI this time.

Macman
Oct 28, 2011, 11:32 PM
No, I mean if they didn't return to their starting positions, and just instead froze in place the minute you left their room (which you couldn't attack through due to PSO's targetting limitations) you'd be stuck behind a door with a wall of monsters. It would be a horrible strategy then and instead you'd have to tough it out in the room or trap yourself.

RemiusTA
Oct 29, 2011, 12:32 AM
that would be hilarious

I dont know, they probably didn't do it because you'd get yourself into situations where you'd probably get destroyed as soon as you stepped into range. And since multiple enemies attacking you at once did stupid damage in PSO, it'd just be constant suicide to ever leave the room.

But it was funny when they DID stay in place at times, and you walked in and they'd walk in circles setting their trajectory towards you.

Im not too worried about PSO2's AI. They need to alter some of their attacks from what ive seen, but it looks like enemies such as the Savage Wolves could be very, very dangerous were they to attack in packs. They move around, and jump really far. Fighting a swarm of them would actually take some positioning to not get blindsided everytime you swung at them.

Im really curious as to how many enemies will be allowed on screen at once. This is a PC game, so any max less than like 15 would be quite disappointing.

Omega-z
Oct 29, 2011, 09:16 PM
Actually RemiusTA & everyone, there was a game that had a monster that was super hard to beat and would follow too, normally you were fast enough to get away. But there was a group of guys, for a prank had a character that was just fast enough not to get attacked but not to fast to get away ether and lured 1000's of the same monster in all the cities and towns and killed everyone in them. ppl would log on and instantly die on arrival, and those that saw the carnage logged off. It shut down the game for 2 months while the staff and GM's had to clean it up. So, it has happened BF, It's not good and brings the game down, But it is sure funny tho.

NoiseHERO
Oct 29, 2011, 09:35 PM
I think there should be rare monsters...

Ones that aren't just pinatas...

Ones that can 2 hit kill the whole party and it's super hard with like a lot of HP or something!

And just entering an area where it's suspiciously quiet and you hear the monster/enemies voice and there's only one of em. and it pops up behind you and starts kicking your ass.

But it always drops something nice if you put in the effort to kill it

Macman
Oct 29, 2011, 11:40 PM
Actually RemiusTA & everyone, there was a game that had a monster that was super hard to beat and would follow too, normally you -snipThat wouldn't really be an issue in a game that has instanced dungeons separated from non-combat zones.

Bit
Oct 30, 2011, 01:40 AM
Oh boy, PSO weapon memories? Mine weren't so hot. I remember being being on my Oran Hunter trying to the 1975 Agito to turn it into the Oriotiagito... Or however you spelled that thing. As Oran it was basically impossible to get this thing, as it dropped off Nano Dragons, and the drop rate was like.... 1/214000+ or something stupid. But, being a 16 year old I tried anyway! I focused on doing the quest Addicting Food, as it has the most number of Nano Dragons(I forgot to mention I was an offline only player, didn't have a BBA.). I did over 160+ Addicting Food runs before I finally just gave up and decided to level up a Whitill section ID character, never got around to getting that character to ultimate :( Lost my memory card shortly after that too.

So my first and main character never got to feel the power of that katana before he was put to rest... /tear.

Omega-z
Oct 30, 2011, 12:07 PM
So true Macman, But I think they where wondering if it happened bf and how it would be if PSO2 was like that. I'm glad it's not, even tho it would be interesting tho. But I wouldn't want to wait two months or more for Sega to fix it, If it had been done that way.

RemiusTA
Oct 30, 2011, 03:18 PM
I think there should be rare monsters...

Ones that aren't just pinatas...

Ones that can 2 hit kill the whole party and it's super hard with like a lot of HP or something!

And just entering an area where it's suspiciously quiet and you hear the monster/enemies voice and there's only one of em. and it pops up behind you and starts kicking your ass.

But it always drops something nice if you put in the effort to kill it

Yeah there should just be moments where you're playing the level, and the next like 3 areas you walk into are completely empty.

And then a hildebear jumps in, goes supersayian, and shits all over your party.

you're required to run, but if you happen to be rolling with some high level players then you can actually take it on.

But unfortunately we'll probably have lots of interrupt events that are neat at first and then just get boring after we'd played them all a trillion times.

Macman
Oct 30, 2011, 11:15 PM
Well running across a Hildeblue/torr on your very first Forest run was a huge threat since the rare monsters WERE stronger, it's just trivialized because you got so ridiculously powerful, and there were no rare monsters in harder areas. I remember running across a Pal Rappy when I was merely level 84 and the bugger knocked my HUmar to the floor for 3/4ths of his HP while I was busy clearing the other monsters.
PSZ's rare monsters always cause a stir because they can murder you regardless of how overlevelled you are.
I can't speak for PSU since I never played it online.

RemiusTA
Oct 30, 2011, 11:43 PM
PSU had no scary or interesting enemies. They were all just annoying.

Usually, a "SPECIAL" enemy in PSU was one that was simply huge, attacked without warning, and basically ignored being hit.

ANIMEniac
Oct 31, 2011, 09:54 PM
Bring back Ill Gils, that's all im askin'

NoiseHERO
Oct 31, 2011, 10:55 PM
They were in psp2 though, and they die easy.

Macman
Nov 1, 2011, 04:00 AM
Then they aren't real Ill Gills.

Omega-z
Nov 1, 2011, 08:29 AM
Agreed, I think They should have the same mechanics but tweaked to have more speed/warp moves add in some Hellish PA combo's which could effect a group if they are around. Also when shot at from a distance warp out of the way and go into breaker mode when down to 20% life. and for added effect have them in dark places which you can't see very well and have them sneak up on you ( ie not just behind you; also above or below) and have moaning sounds and have that creepy feeling like zombie's or Aliens.:):rappy:

Macman
Nov 1, 2011, 08:56 AM
They just need to be evasive, and hit hard, just like how they were in PSO.

NoiseHERO
Nov 1, 2011, 09:52 AM
Then they aren't real Ill Gills.

Or we could just make something... new for once.

Selphea
Nov 1, 2011, 10:32 AM
The one mob that really wasn't done any justice at all in PSU was Sinow Zoa.

Probably because it decided to stay invisible and wait that game out.

NoiseHERO
Nov 1, 2011, 10:35 AM
They hit hard, but once you step out of their attack ranger and hit them with a smashing PA they were pretty much your bitch.

As for sinow I don't know. They have a lot of HP but died pretty easily like everything else in this game too.

Gold is a douche when he pops up on rare missions though.

Selphea
Nov 1, 2011, 10:38 AM
They hit hard, but once you step out of their attack ranger and hit them with a smashing PA they were pretty much your bitch.

Perhaps the same could be said of all mobs...

NoiseHERO
Nov 1, 2011, 10:39 AM
Almost what I mean in my edit sdfgasdfasdg

Selphea
Nov 1, 2011, 10:43 AM
Sinow Zoa is the invisible mob that jumps at you from ****ING NOWHERE! (http://zoa.ytmnd.com/)™ to steal the scape dolls of Forces in a single crit

NoiseHERO
Nov 1, 2011, 10:45 AM
LOL SEGA forums, they don't even know what tumbleweed is.

RemiusTA
Nov 1, 2011, 01:50 PM
PSU enemies (and bosses, especially bosses) just had no special programming to any of their moves. PSP2 did much better with the AI, but it still wasn't quite on the level of PSO's enemies, even if they were much more solid.

No matter what the size, special move, or strength of the enemy was in PSU, the ultimate tactic was to simply get a lunching PA off. If you couldn't knock them down, use a PA that lets you (unfairly) move alot while doing damage. (Majarra, Spinning Strike, BD)

Macman
Nov 1, 2011, 02:12 PM
PSU took enemy reskins to a whole new level what with each planet having the same 4 types of enemies, but with different looks. In my opinion, that's why the game feels so bland. PSO had a lot of reskins too, but each stage also had unique enemies with unique tactics.

Fenn777
Nov 1, 2011, 10:11 PM
PSO had very memorable enemies, which contrasted with PSZ whose enemies all acted very similarly.

NoiseHERO
Nov 1, 2011, 10:38 PM
IT'S TBECUASE SEFA GoT LAZY AND MADE RESSKING IN AlL THEIR GAMES PHANTASy STAR FuCK SEGA THEIR MONETSTERS ALL THE SAME NOW BUT PSO2 DIFFER PSO2 BETTA DON'T COMPARE IT TO PSZ.

Fenn777
Nov 2, 2011, 12:01 PM
IT'S TBECUASE SEFA GoT LAZY AND MADE RESSKING IN AlL THEIR GAMES PHANTASy STAR FuCK SEGA THEIR MONETSTERS ALL THE SAME NOW BUT PSO2 DIFFER PSO2 BETTA DON'T COMPARE IT TO PSZ.

I didn't know you could ski in Phantasy Star. Nor that they had monsters based on the great Monet. And who is this mysterious "SEFA" publisher?

Xenobia
Nov 2, 2011, 12:27 PM
Right, PSU surely was weak, im glad im not allone.

Man those old days where we was on Seabed level.. i still smell the legendary taste, it just had the essence of masterwork. I missed it on PSU. Even the sound, it was one of the best game music ever created. Give me back those programers and make a work twice that big and including clothes and all the fun stuff, that would be legendary.

RemiusTA
Nov 2, 2011, 01:40 PM
Man if PSU's soundtrack didn't sound like donkey porn then i probably would have held it much higher in my head over all the things i liked better about PSO

lostinseganet
Nov 2, 2011, 01:51 PM
But all you wrote about is leveling to the max as fast as possible, and collecting rares. What about the journey. What about the game play?

RemiusTA
Nov 2, 2011, 06:23 PM
But all you wrote about is leveling to the max as fast as possible, and collecting rares. What about the journey. What about the game play?

We love to use extremes to prove our points here.

so there IS no journey. Both PSO and PSU were terrible games.

NoiseHERO
Nov 2, 2011, 07:35 PM
I didn't know you could ski in Phantasy Star. Nor that they had monsters based on the great Monet. And who is this mysterious "SEFA" publisher?

Don't question my drunk texting it'll hurt everyones brain.

RemiusTA
Nov 2, 2011, 09:23 PM
actually it just makes me laugh

Xenobia
Nov 3, 2011, 05:45 AM
PSO was legendary. But it aswell had some lack on certain spots, we wasnt at the grade of perfection. Although im not sure if a human can reach the grade of perfection, its belong to heaven.

We love to use extremes to prove our points here.

so there IS no journey. Both PSO and PSU were terrible games.
Thats nothing which can be considered "extreme".

Leveling? Thats a matter of no essence, its just a result of intense playing. You probably dont know what you talk about, there is so much hidden stuff in PSO you would have known. I had contact with true gamers and they knew every single thing, every weak spot, every advantage and disadvantage regarding gameplay. They had a knowledge going into the deepest level possible. They was able to make a TA (time attack) using no restorable items at all (if so, they used up all dolls in order to get more TP so they can do more damage for faster speed, not to survive), they had the skill to survive without level, doll or anything. Level was not the true PSO, level was only here to make you smile. The most extreme of them wanted to make TA using only 2 people, but that was even exceeding my bounds, since i didnt want to deal with, so i happily stepped back from doing it! Surely the true gameplay wasnt about level nor items, those 2 stuff is to be beauty on the outside, but not in the inside. The true gameplay comes from the inside. Those players would handle a LV. 200 such as driving a bicycle blind and without arms attached on it, and even driving faster than the majority of the players. The highest experts used a fully tuned Racast having a HIT shield (S Parts did exceed the natural limit, although the common player never used it and didnt know its value), and that one didnt get knockdown, however, only experts would be able to survive, through the prediction of the enemys movement, and smash through a massive attack and be fastest at killing with. If you dare to give them a massive piece, while they usualy play having nothing, then you might simply step back and pray... because there will be a erruption.

I had players using massive weapons and armors. With amazing stats, but they played such as a worm fresh picked out from the ground. Then i had some they used some junk and had a junk level but theyr gameplay made them a way better asset to the party. Finally, you dont learn playing by having massive stuff, you do learn it while having nothing.

RemiusTA
Nov 5, 2011, 01:51 AM
PSO was legendary. But it aswell had some lack on certain spots, we wasnt at the grade of perfection. Although im not sure if a human can reach the grade of perfection, its belong to heaven.

Thats nothing which can be considered "extreme".

Leveling? Thats a matter of no essence, its just a result of intense playing. You probably dont know what you talk about, there is so much hidden stuff in PSO you would have known. I had contact with true gamers and they knew every single thing, every weak spot, every advantage and disadvantage regarding gameplay. They had a knowledge going into the deepest level possible. They was able to make a TA (time attack) using no restorable items at all (if so, they used up all dolls in order to get more TP so they can do more damage for faster speed, not to survive), they had the skill to survive without level, doll or anything. Level was not the true PSO, level was only here to make you smile. The most extreme of them wanted to make TA using only 2 people, but that was even exceeding my bounds, since i didnt want to deal with, so i happily stepped back from doing it! Surely the true gameplay wasnt about level nor items, those 2 stuff is to be beauty on the outside, but not in the inside. The true gameplay comes from the inside. Those players would handle a LV. 200 such as driving a bicycle blind and without arms attached on it, and even driving faster than the majority of the players. The highest experts used a fully tuned Racast having a HIT shield (S Parts did exceed the natural limit, although the common player never used it and didnt know its value), and that one didnt get knockdown, however, only experts would be able to survive, through the prediction of the enemys movement, and smash through a massive attack and be fastest at killing with. If you dare to give them a massive piece, while they usualy play having nothing, then you might simply step back and pray... because there will be a erruption.

I had players using massive weapons and armors. With amazing stats, but they played such as a worm fresh picked out from the ground. Then i had some they used some junk and had a junk level but theyr gameplay made them a way better asset to the party. Finally, you dont learn playing by having massive stuff, you do learn it while having nothing.

I didn't understand all of that...

...but to sum it up, im playing PSOBB right now, and arguing the valid depth of a game based on the people who are fanatics is kind of a bad idea. There are people who know every mechanic avaliable in Super Smash Brothers Brawl, but it's still just as trashy as ever isnt it.

That said, IMO PSO was an infinitely deeper title than Phantasy star universe was, which seemed to just implement alot of ideas for the look above the function (whereas PSO based its combat system around multiple functions), and PSP2 which just was a collage of ideas they KNEW were popular and would work well. Which isn't bad in itself. But it doesn't matter, because like i said, im playing PSOBB right now and not PSP2, as its worn itself out already.

My only fear for PSO2 is that it's going to follow the same path as PSP2. It will not make it a bad game, but it will definitely hinder it from becoming one with as much longevity as PSO did with its fanbase. And with that said, i think PSU would have a better fanbase where there a magic place you could go to still enjoy playing the game with a constant population, but no such place exists at the moment, and even if it did, i'd personally be spending so much time revamping terrible shit that it'd never get finished. And yes, im speaking as if PSU was dead already, because to me it is. Even if the 360 was equally as updated as PSUJP, there is nothing they will add that will make me pay for another month of that game. Mostly because i miss my PC/PS2 characters, but primarily because that game's structure is one that bores me the fuck out. The mission system, the weapon system, the grinding, the rares, synthesis, balance, enemies, bosses, everything about PSU tires me out because of how utterly cluttered and wonky it feels in execution, whereas PSO had systems in place that still has me figuring out new shit to this day when i make a new character.

In my humble opinion, PSO and PSU are games on just on two completely different levels, but seperated by too large a generational gap for it to be immediately obvious.