PDA

View Full Version : What does reskin mean?

PSU Flag
Oct 22, 2011, 11:35 AM
I heard alot of people talking about "reskins" so I want to know what they are.

TenebriS
Oct 22, 2011, 11:41 AM
Reskin is generally using an old model and change the appearence of it only to a bit, like cahnge the skin.

In case you ehard with all the new weapons, reskin means using an already existing model for a new weapon instead of giving a new model

TheAstarion
Oct 22, 2011, 11:59 AM
The community uses reskin incorrectly, what we mean to say is "recycled boring models". Reskins have existed in PSU since day 1; the 2* weapons are reskins of the 1*s, having the same model but a differently-coloured skin. Recycled, boring old models, on the other hand, have cropped up before (Promoto weapons, anyone?), but it only got really bad when we got given old weapons with new stats instead of new weapons; all because Sega won't pay Microsoft to put an update on the marketplace.

Keilyn
Oct 22, 2011, 01:32 PM
A reskin is when you change the texture of a model or mesh to another to make it look like something else. Take a cube and reskin it and you can make into dice, crates, glass tanks, etc.

Taking an OLD model and giving it new stats is a property of inheritance. Example below....

If coded in the unreal engine it would look something like this:

Class KillerElite extends Rifle;
{
Default Properties
{
DisplayName = "Killer Elite"
Description = "Whatever the hell we want it to be...."
ATP = 667
PP = 1404
PickUpTexture = RedBox
ThirdPersonTexture = KillerEliteTexture.pcm
BulletTexture = KillerEliteBTexture.pcm
}
}

The way people recycle weapons and why people get pissed off is because of how easy its done along with its laziness.

So how do I make a new weapon from this? How about I want a Rifle that looks like a Killer Elite, except I get 3000 ATP and 3000 PP...and I call it the "Tedo Stomper"

Class TedoStomper extends KillerElite;
{
If (Target IsA Beast.Male == true && Target.Name = "Tedo" + * //Wildcard so any name beginning with Tedo is a target)
{
PAdamage *= 1.2 //+20% damage vs male beasts
BignoresElementalDefense = True (Hits Male Beast Armor as though it were 0% element)
}

DefaultProperties
{
DisplayName = "Tedo Stomper"
Description = "Designed jointly by Tenora, Kubara and the Guardians to send a special message to one of their own in a language a beast can understand"
PP = 3000
ATP = 3000
}
}

Here we don't have to include the other parameters because they had all been taken from the original "Killer Elite" while default values of PP consumption were taken from "Rifle"

The thing is that anyone can take and mod a weapon like this....so we think it would be more intelligent to deliver new content or even at least a half-decent reskin rather than take an old weapon and simply subclass it with new stats and throw it in a map.

I hope this helped you a bit.

Crysteon
Oct 22, 2011, 01:54 PM
A reskin is when you change the texture of a model or mesh to another to make it look like something else. Take a cube and reskin it and you can make into dice, crates, glass tanks, etc.

That summarizes it pretty well.

And lol...that Tedo Stomper joke made me laugh. Who needs a weapon to own Tedo, when he owns himself with his own tongue? :0

Caiterz
Oct 22, 2011, 10:25 PM
TLDR:

When a new weapon looks like and old weapon.

This gets many members' panties in a bunch and makes them emoquit, for some reason

</hasnt figured that out yet>

Ilikelamp7
Oct 23, 2011, 03:55 AM
Emoquit? I'm taking these reskins to the grave with me, Egyptian style.

TheAstarion
Oct 23, 2011, 08:22 AM
Not getting a weapon because it doesn't drop when you hunt for it, and not getting it because you can't afford to buy or trade for one, those are good reasons to not get something.

Not getting a weapon because the company you've paid over $500 in subscriptions to won't negotiate on updates... that gets my knickers in a twist. I already have a splac and a halarodoc, I wanted a sword-whip and the Chaos Sorceror's rod.

I have things on JP at level 100 that would take me months of playing at lv180 on Xbox to come by. Most things on JP are just comically easy to get, but there are a few exceptions.

Cloud Strife
Oct 23, 2011, 01:37 PM
the c*** on them(Sega) we pay this game to play and we've been treated like s*** for a long time. but THIS...this takes the cake. i wish they would just kill off this addictive piece of s***

bloodflowers
Oct 24, 2011, 05:39 PM
Deskins.

Anon_Fire
Oct 24, 2011, 06:07 PM
the c*** on them(Sega) we pay this game to play and we've been treated like s*** for a long time. but THIS...this takes the cake. i wish they would just kill off this addictive piece of s***

Tell the players online they've been screwed out of nice weapons.

HappyPenguin
Oct 25, 2011, 12:50 AM
Take the Orzlarod for example.....

It looks dumb....

Take the Firebreaker for example......

Same ol same old......

This is the reason Micro$oft did not let them make GC here.....

And the Snec Ecu......

With the 10$ Subscriptions everyone pays...