PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 PVP

PSU30055337
Oct 22, 2011, 03:19 PM
I've been hearing it would be impossible to make pvp on pso2 because of the high damage that the weapons do. With longswords hitting for over 2000 damage, I can understand where people are coming from with this. But isn't it possible to make a pvp only armor? The armor could activate as soon as the players begin the pvp and would have a ton of mental/physical defense to counter the high damage. With the addition of jumping/dashing/rolling pvp would be pretty intense. The clan system could also be put to good use in team pvp.

Before anyone comes in swinging, I'd like to say that the idea of pvp isn't to make the community into a bunch of "elitists". It's to increase the population on pso2. Not everyone likes the idea of paying a monthly fee and wasting so much time and effort just to smack around ai. I suppose these people could just go and fine another game that offers pvp, but do you really want that? Think about it. It's not like these people just come to play pvp. They're looking for something more in their mmos. I think that adding this feature to their game would be a smart move on sega's part. You can't go wrong with more.

Well, those are my thoughts on the subject of pvp. Feel free to say what you think.

Ark22
Oct 22, 2011, 03:24 PM
Best PVP I had encounter has to be DCUO.

Zyrusticae
Oct 22, 2011, 03:28 PM
It's hilarious and incredibly silly to suggest PvP can't be done because "the damage is too high".

Most MMOs, AFAIK, separate PvE damage and PvP damage, dramatically reducing the latter to maintain the pacing of the game. This requires almost no effort on the developers' part; it's just a blanket percentage damage reduction applied to all player vs player encounters.

As for PvP itself, well... let the devs figure that one out. If they do it, and it's done well, well, that's good for all of us. (But I'm not holding my breath on that one.)

NoiseHERO
Oct 22, 2011, 03:28 PM
There's already been a giant argument over PVP, I'm for it as long as it's lax enough to seperate the hardcore PVP community from the normal players. Like in another game I used to play, the PVPers would be cocky and annoying from time to time, but most of the "best" ones weren't all that bad. and All of the PVPers in general kept to themselves.

Otherwise It may as well just be some event mission or mini game that shouldn't be taken seriously, and just something to do when you're bored among many other events and extras this game could have.

But it's a huge part of the game in some way shape or form or it's the end all to make up for lack of content "Bored? Just become over powered like some douch with no life so you can PVP!" Then yeah it'd wreck the community into shreds.

Dinosaur
Oct 22, 2011, 03:55 PM
It would be the most awesome PvP.

I'd love to keep my hopes up for this, but it seems SEGA is too occupied with the PvE content.

kyuuketsuki
Oct 22, 2011, 04:24 PM
I suppose these people could just go and fine another game that offers pvp, but do you really want that?
Well, yeah, actually.

Think about it. It's not like these people just come to play pvp. They're looking for something more in their mmos.
What? They're looking for PvP. People coming to PvP isn't going to enrich the PvE experience in any way.

You can't go wrong with more.Yes, you can.

It's hilarious and incredibly silly to suggest PvP can't be done because "the damage is too high".
Indeed. I dunno if there was some thread I missed where this argument was proposed, or if the OP is carrying some argument from another forum over here, but that's silly and has no bearing on whether PvP is or isn't possible.
I'd love to keep my hopes up for this, but it seems SEGA is too occupied with the PvE content.
I certainly hope SEGA is too preoccupied with PvE content to worry about implementing PvP.

PSO has always been a cooperative PvE game. I have zero interest in PvP, and I'd much rather SEGA spent their time and resources developing more PvE content than on implementing and balancing some lame PvP arena or whatever. That said, I wouldn't be upset or anything about its inclusion. It'd just be something to ignore.

RemiusTA
Oct 22, 2011, 04:26 PM
I've been hearing it would be impossible to make pvp on pso2 because of the high damage that the weapons do. With longswords hitting for over 2000 damage, I can understand where people are coming from with this.

...huh? Ive never seen a number this high on any of the PSO2 videos. And even if so, high damage is almost never an issue -- they would probably greatly scale the damage. In most MMOs people deal damage far higher than their max HP all the time.

But isn't it possible to make a pvp only armor? The armor could activate as soon as the players begin the pvp and would have a ton of mental/physical defense to counter the high damage. With the addition of jumping/dashing/rolling pvp would be pretty intense. The clan system could also be put to good use in team pvp.

Before anyone comes in swinging, I'd like to say that the idea of pvp isn't to make the community into a bunch of "elitists". It's to increase the population on pso2. Not everyone likes the idea of paying a monthly fee and wasting so much time and effort just to smack around ai. I suppose these people could just go and fine another game that offers pvp, but do you really want that? Think about it. It's not like these people just come to play pvp. They're looking for something more in their mmos. I think that adding this feature to their game would be a smart move on sega's part. You can't go wrong with more.

Well, those are my thoughts on the subject of pvp. Feel free to say what you think.

There are so many ways to make GOOD PvP plausable in both PSU and PSO2, but the issue is that many players are pretty closed-minded and will make up any excuse to protect their beloved focus on endgame grinding.

My guess? Yeah, the game will eventually feature PvP, because it's fun. Not to mention, the game supports 12-player instances -- free for alls (and especially party battles) would be very interesting.

Nitro Vordex
Oct 22, 2011, 04:50 PM
Thank god they're fixing the dive rolls, otherwise it would just turn into dodgeroll and skill spam all day.

RemiusTA
Oct 22, 2011, 04:51 PM
this game is japanese

it's going to be a dodge-roll fest regardless

And although i like this battle system alot better than PSP2s, it looks like once again the Photon Arts are going to COMPLETELY overpower your regular attacks from jumpstreet. Which probably means this game will easily become a PA spam fest as well.

Every PA shown has already been like 5 hits + launch + 1.6x original damage anyway. You can only imagine how ridiculous the endgame attacks will be. I was expecting starter special moves to be a bit more subtle.

Zorafim
Oct 22, 2011, 09:16 PM
Someone mentioned PvP HIT THE DECK!

*dives*

*explosion*

Randomness
Oct 22, 2011, 09:38 PM
Thank god they're fixing the dive rolls, otherwise it would just turn into dodgeroll and skill spam all day.

Well, the dodge rolls worked fairly well in PSP2, but that was mostly because they drained like 40-50 PP... you couldn't spam them at all, and certainly not with skills going. Blocking was much better usually, since it negated most of the damage and set up an autocrit.

yoshiblue
Oct 22, 2011, 10:01 PM
If not, they could always put a cool down time on dodge rolls for PvP.

Ark22
Oct 22, 2011, 10:36 PM
What they need to do is bring back TP. I love PP but it just makes it to easy xD. Way...to..easy. Or atleast let us turn off PA's

RemiusTA
Oct 23, 2011, 01:47 AM
I think PP was a terrible idea, personally. I just really don't like it. It literally lets you spam for free.

RLbitClassica
Oct 23, 2011, 01:49 AM
PSO has always been primarily co-op and that's the bread and butter of the series. PvP would be acceptable as long as it's not forced into the main game. A side game/separate mode should be fine.

sugarFO
Oct 23, 2011, 06:05 AM
I think PvP is fun when it's just a side game like in FFXI. It favored some classes more than others (of course I played the class with the disadvantage lol) but it was still fun and relaxed. When you pump the PvP side of an MMO like WoW it becomes a problem because there's a divided community who expects their side to be perfect... and it never happens. Balancing issues and stuff will always be an issue... but I'm all for some PvP fun when I'm bored of missions :)

moorebounce
Oct 23, 2011, 07:11 AM
I'm not even a fan of PVP so it wouldn't even matter to me if they had it in the game or not. The NPCs can't exploit bugs and glitches and bugs and glitches are what ruin PVP for me.

Blue Burst had PVP so theres a small chance PSO2 will too.

Angelo
Oct 23, 2011, 08:42 AM
My thread was better:

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188899

Ark22
Oct 23, 2011, 10:12 AM
I think PP was a terrible idea, personally. I just really don't like it. It literally lets you spam for free.

I mean it was alot better then the photon charge system. But after the whole PA spam, they need TP back.

BIG OLAF
Oct 23, 2011, 12:01 PM
Uhoh, someone has reopened this old tomb?

I remember the last PvP thread (the one Angelo linked to)...

*shudder*

Dinosaur
Oct 23, 2011, 05:09 PM
Which probably means this game will easily become a PA spam fest as well.

Even though what you said is true, the PP system is different from PSU.

From the videos, PAs cost 25 PP. Every one has a total of 100 PP. PP regenerates at a steady rate, but not fast. In combat, you'd be able to use 4-5 skills in succession before running out of PP. However, using hitting basic attacks gives you PP, thus giving a big incentive to mix in basic attacks in your strings. Thus, if you're not using basic attacks, you won't be able to PA spam!

On the topic of PvP: I would imagine it would be insanely fun. For some reason, thinking about it how it would play reminds me of how Virtual-On(also a SEGA game) plays ala taking cover behind map doodads, flanking, and strategic maneuvers to avoid getting hit.

Anon_Fire
Oct 23, 2011, 05:57 PM
SEGA didn't say anything about PvP.

RemiusTA
Oct 23, 2011, 06:55 PM
Even though what you said is true, the PP system is different from PSU.

From the videos, PAs cost 25 PP. Every one has a total of 100 PP. PP regenerates at a steady rate, but not fast. In combat, you'd be able to use 4-5 skills in succession before running out of PP. However, using hitting basic attacks gives you PP, thus giving a big incentive to mix in basic attacks in your strings. Thus, if you're not using basic attacks, you won't be able to PA spam!

On the topic of PvP: I would imagine it would be insanely fun. For some reason, thinking about it how it would play reminds me of how Virtual-On(also a SEGA game) plays ala taking cover behind map doodads, flanking, and strategic maneuvers to avoid getting hit.

It recovers when it's not in use, and it also recovers when you hit something. Nothing's there to stop players from going wack-wack-PA-wack-wack-PA over and over again. At least, thats what i saw in the video.

Not to mention, there is NO delay after the 3rd hit of a combo on this game for some reason, and i've seen characters literally just chain normal attacks forever. Not to say enemies can't hit them during it, but PP is going to be very easy to obtain on this game. Anyway, I say it's a bad idea because of how non-versatile it is. Photon Charge system was pretty terrible, but in the RARE event you didn't have any charges, you were actually forced to use some conservative methods to your abilities. The PP System stops you from spamming the ability, but only in rapid succession.

With a TP/MP bar scenario, you're actually encouraged to preserve your stronger attacks for situations when you need them. In the event you have a surplus, you are able to unleash damage as you see fit, but if you're scarce you have to actually attack with some strategy to last the level. This is good for Hunters, but i think it's needed for good Force gameplay, because it allows them to actually dish out high damage when they need to, instead of spell spell - run - spell spell - run or whatever.

There are just so many things PSO was able to do with special attacks that PSO2 probably wont with a PP bar. ESPECIALLY Techniques. I just don't like the idea.

Garnet_Moon
Oct 23, 2011, 11:38 PM
Ever played Aion? Damage is halved versus players. Which is great because my Chanter just absolutely rapes everything that thinks it can gank me. My heals don't heal me for half just because I'm engaged in PvP with another player. Except Clerics. God I hate clerics.

That said, PvP can be done eventually when it gets worked out, but I won't be participating in it. Unless the PvP is like some kind of Soccer game with weapons like in that one episode of GI Joe when they played soccer/football with jeeps and tanks. That's my kind of PvP.

RemiusTA
Oct 24, 2011, 12:06 AM
maybe they wouldn't have to halve damage if people would simply do damage forumlas correct.

They have to adjust so much because stats on enemies are such bullshit because shitty korean MMOs are made for grinding lol

Garnet_Moon
Oct 24, 2011, 12:21 AM
They should just leave PvP out of the game. It doesn't belong here. It's supposed to be 5 parts photon drop drama to 1 part useful red box with just a sprinkle of NOL and BSOD.

NoiseHERO
Oct 24, 2011, 12:24 AM
They should just leave PvP out of the game. It doesn't belong here. It's supposed to be 5 parts photon drop drama to 1 part useful red box with just a sprinkle of NOL and BSOD.

This isn't PSO though.

RemiusTA
Oct 24, 2011, 12:44 AM

its a videogame. you put in whatever is fun.

i...dont get it. What is with the hate of a fun mode?

Soul Guardian
Oct 24, 2011, 01:43 AM
What is with the hate of a fun mode?

Most likely people fearing it will somehow "ruin" the game because it gets included
OHNOEZ

Seriously, since PSO 2 has instanced levels...there shouldn't be any way to participate in PvP without specifically choosing to do so

So there really shouldn't be any reason for people to care. If they don't want they don't have to play it. Meanwhile the people who do want it can enjoy it.

NicorTheDuke
Oct 24, 2011, 07:58 AM
I would like to have a PvP section just to prove that a FO type can reduce the hunter class into a flaming pile of shite.plus anyone who doesnt play any PvP game obviously is a sore loser and probbly use to being protected by a group and cant hold/her own against others.Personally PvP is a training tool to breed skilled gamers.plus i get bored of co-operating,i want to take my wand and drive it into the base of your spine.

NicorTheDuke
Oct 24, 2011, 08:04 AM
and one more thing,if you arent a PvP player dont play the PvP mode if there is one.just co-operative mode and stay there with your thoughts on PvP.Pso should make good PvP game types like Halo doesfor example CTF,Infection,Grifball,Juggernaught(the feeling of being a god until the oppposing team rapes you with grenades and rockets).Just some ideas.

RemiusTA
Oct 24, 2011, 12:11 PM
I would like to have a PvP section just to prove that a FO type can reduce the hunter class into a flaming pile of shite.

never happening, hunters have been confirmed OP since the first day of the alpha test.

Rangers are either competing for top tier spot or hanging on to HU's tail.

Forces are either gonna be OP or garbage. And by Garbage i mean outdamaged by every other class. I say this because they don't really look like spellcasters. Unlike PSO where the spells did cool things, it looks like each one is gonna be projectile/AoE/Remote AoE. Too early to tell, but u kno how these things are.

That's just my prediction though.

NoiseHERO
Oct 24, 2011, 12:19 PM
Why DO forces have lame damage output?

I don't think squishy should mean your fireballs suck too...

apparently they're tweaking these things though.

Zorafim
Oct 24, 2011, 12:21 PM
I think people are scared of PvP because of what it's done to more popular MMOs, specifically WoW. In the case of WoW, a lot of development time is spent thinking up ways to keep abilities viable in both PvE and PvP, without making it too good in either.
If PSO2 gets PvP, it would either eat up otherwise wonderful resources to make it done well, or it will be poorly done. And frankly, I'd rather have the latter. If the game's focus is on PvE, and they just add PvP for the hell of it, then I'd rather not much effort be put into it. If this means forces run around one shotting things, or hunters can dodge their way to victory, then fine. But once they disturb the balance of PvE (which they already have a hard enough time balancing) for PvP, then things will get out of hand quickly.

Garnet_Moon
Oct 24, 2011, 02:54 PM
I think people are scared of PvP because of what it's done to more popular MMOs, specifically WoW. In the case of WoW, a lot of development time is spent thinking up ways to keep abilities viable in both PvE and PvP, without making it too good in either.
If PSO2 gets PvP, it would either eat up otherwise wonderful resources to make it done well, or it will be poorly done. And frankly, I'd rather have the latter. If the game's focus is on PvE, and they just add PvP for the hell of it, then I'd rather not much effort be put into it. If this means forces run around one shotting things, or hunters can dodge their way to victory, then fine. But once they disturb the balance of PvE (which they already have a hard enough time balancing) for PvP, then things will get out of hand quickly.
This.

plus anyone who doesnt play any PvP game obviously is a sore loser and probbly use to being protected by a group and cant hold/her own against others.Personally PvP is a training tool to breed skilled gamers.plus i get bored of co-operating,i want to take my wand and drive it into the base of your spine.
I play plenty of PvP games. TF2, L4D2, GW3, etc, etc. That doesn't change the fact that PS is a PvE franchise first, and PvP at a very, very, very distant second place. If it even places.

lostinseganet
Oct 24, 2011, 05:15 PM
Also hacking possibilities will be easier. pso is for coop. If you want one hit kills look at Bushido blade the video game.

Dinosaur
Oct 24, 2011, 08:48 PM
anyone who doesnt play any PvP game obviously is a sore loser and probbly use to being protected by a group and cant hold/her own against others.Personally PvP is a training tool to breed skilled gamers.plus i get bored of co-operating,i want to take my wand and drive it into the base of your spine.

I have to agree with this. PvP breathes competition into a game and that just makes things MUCH more interesting AND gives players more ways to play the game(how can this be a bad thing).

But if it's as bunk as PSO PvP, then it'll just be a-mere something else to do in-game which isn't so bad either.

NoiseHERO
Oct 24, 2011, 08:53 PM
But if it's as bunk as PSO PvP, then it'll just be a-mere something else to do in-game which isn't so bad either.

This is pretty much all I really want from any possible PVP this game may get.

Somehow I feel like if there's not hint of it now, we probably won't see it though. So people that irrationally hate any form of PVP because they suck at i-trolololo- can calm down at the idea of PVP.

Jonth
Oct 24, 2011, 11:05 PM
Why DO forces have lame damage output?

I don't think squishy should mean your fireballs suck too...

apparently they're tweaking these things though.

In fact, being squishy means your freakin fireballs should be freakin AMAZING. Forces should hands down be the most damaging class. There should be no second guesses, and there should be no debate among the rational gamers (there will always be those who don't use logic). They should be THE class to be for DPS. Period. I DO NOT understand how SEGA does not get this.

If I am going to be the frailest class, I want SERIOUS compensation. No, being able to make others stronger (buffs) is not SERIOUS compensation. It is just icing on the cake. And come on, who likes icing without the cake... Well, okay, icing is still good without the cake, but you get my point right?

Garnet_Moon
Oct 24, 2011, 11:47 PM
In fact, being squishy means your freakin fireballs should be freakin AMAZING. Forces should hands down be the most damaging class. There should be no second guesses, and there should be no debate among the rational gamers (there will always be those who don't use logic). They should be THE class to be for DPS. Period. I DO NOT understand how SEGA does not get this.

If I am going to be the frailest class, I want SERIOUS compensation. No, being able to make others stronger (buffs) is not SERIOUS compensation. It is just icing on the cake. And come on, who likes icing without the cake... Well, okay, icing is still good without the cake, but you get my point right?
Rock: Typically melee fighters. Stupidly long combo chains, juggles, hard to knock over, hard hitting.
Scissors: Usually the archers or ranged characters. Pew, pew, and more pew. Chips away at health and picks off stragglers.
Paper: Blanket your allies in heals, buffs, and debuffs. Don't bother casting nukes. You can't chain damage like a Hunter or Ranger can and their healer will nullify any damage you think you're doing by the time you wind up the next cast.

Of course, if you ain't healing as a mage, you won't be a threat and will probably be last one alive on your team. The healers go down first, then the melee who are in every bodies faces, then the rangers. Then... whoever was being carried.

tl;dr
The greatest strength of a "glass cannon" isn't their damage output which never scales properly. It's their ability to drop heavy heals and powerful buffs while being frail themselves. A single good support player can carry an entire team of baddies sometimes. You're a cannon in the sense your ability to support is the weapon, and your ammunition is your allies.

SELENNA
Oct 25, 2011, 12:14 AM
My bet is PSO2 won't feature PVP. Games nowadays tend to have less content than before for the same price. Of course I'd like to be wrong but I just don't see it happening before the first expansion at least. I'm all for it though, as long as it's better than the dreaded multiplayer modes in EP I & II that played awful.

RemiusTA
Oct 25, 2011, 02:28 AM
Also hacking possibilities will be easier. pso is for coop. If you want one hit kills look at Bushido blade the video game.

someone please make sense of this post for me

and Glass Cannon, very simply put, means high risk == high reward.

Macman
Oct 25, 2011, 05:02 AM
The greatest strength of a "glass cannon" isn't their damage output which never scales properly. It's their ability to drop heavy heals and powerful buffs while being frail themselves.It's funny because on PSO I find my FOnewm far more durable by himself than my other classes. That level 30 Jellen really makes a world of difference.

Selphea
Oct 25, 2011, 06:24 AM
If there's PvP,

Forces will QQ about 100% accuracy W+M1 Rangers that keep interrupting all their casts

Rangers will QQ about Hunters dodging their bullets and keeping them in knockdown-lock

Hunters will QQ about not being able to dodge the AoE freeze that sets them up for a debuff which lowers their STA, followed by a charged Megid which fires just as the freeze wears off and instant kills them.

Poor Sega will never be able to make everyone happy =(

chaos-shadow
Oct 25, 2011, 12:00 PM
tl;dr
The greatest strength of a "glass cannon" isn't their damage output which never scales properly. It's their ability to drop heavy heals and powerful buffs while being frail themselves. A single good support player can carry an entire team of baddies sometimes. You're a cannon in the sense your ability to support is the weapon, and your ammunition is your allies.

That would be great if FO were meant to be the cleric / priest type. Obviously in things like PSU though, where every class can heal, FO are meant to be the more mage class, which SHOULD mean slower cast time, more damage, lower health.

If the damage is not there, then really, they are just on the bad end of the stick in all categories. I agree, buffs and heals are like the icing on the cake, not their main mantra.

Dinosaur
Oct 25, 2011, 12:33 PM
The way I would see PvP in a 1v1 setting:

If a hunter gets in you, you lose. Hunter vs Hunter comes down to who lands the first hit.

If you can't catch or avoid Ranger, you lose because he will be DPSing you all day. Ranger vs Ranger comes down to accuracy and positioning.

If you can't catch or avoid Force, you lose. Probably annoying to catch due to AoE spells.

I could very easily see it being balanced, fun, and extremely fast paced. It would probably have to be a 3 out of 5 rounds due to the nature of the game. One round of getting combo'd by a hunter or kited by a ranger/force, you'd probably feel cheated without another try or two.

NicorTheDuke
Oct 25, 2011, 12:51 PM
If sega gives us Force types Diga,Gifoieand Razonde we go go toe toe with hunters.

RemiusTA
Oct 25, 2011, 08:53 PM
The way I would see PvP in a 1v1 setting:

If a hunter gets in you, you lose. Hunter vs Hunter comes down to who lands the first hit.

If you can't catch or avoid Ranger, you lose because he will be DPSing you all day. Ranger vs Ranger comes down to accuracy and positioning.

If you can't catch or avoid Force, you lose. Probably annoying to catch due to AoE spells.

I could very easily see it being balanced, fun, and extremely fast paced. It would probably have to be a 3 out of 5 rounds due to the nature of the game. One round of getting combo'd by a hunter or kited by a ranger/force, you'd probably feel cheated without another try or two.

I think in terms of 1v1, there are alot of interesting ways to balance this out.

First off, yeah, if you get caught by a melee weapon you should take alot of damage, but if you get caught by a HEAVY melee weapon, you should probably be screwed. Hunter's main strongpoints should be their strong offense and defensive capabilities. (guard + step)

They're gonna nerf Ranger run-n-gun speed, so catching them will probably be a matter of getting shot and then catching up. Off the bat, Rifles should automatically do shit damage, because their range is absolutely ridiculous. Their main strongpoints should be their Range and ability to move and attack from safe positions.

Forces? They should be like rangers, except with less health.

Basically, Forces should dabble in both worlds. If techniques are done correctly, Forces should pretty much fair pretty decently in most situations, but close range should obviously be the place they don't really wanna be. They have long range projectiles, they have AoE attacks, they have Long-Range AoE attacks, they have Resta, they can burn, freeze, ect ect ect. They probably should be made to focus primarily on controlling the field they fight on. But if their zoning is compromised, they should be pretty much forced to run away or die.

AoE techniques should probably have some kind of indication before they instantly explode and destroy the opponent. Perfect Guarding shouldn't interrupt the attacker, but instead allow the defender to act quicker afterwards. Otherwise melee battles would be horrible, as everyone would be discouraged from attacking first. An aspect everyone seems to be forgetting is that Phantasy Star encourages you to switch weapons -- EVERYONE is capable of equipping a ranged and melee weapon (Gunslash).

A few ideas:

Swords = heavy damage, lots of guard (chip) damage. You're encouraged to not get hit by them.
Gunslash = fast, versatile.
Wired Lance = Grab attacks ignore guarding, so you're forced to avoid or dodge. Long range, but easy to interrupt.
Partisan = Decent range radius . Catches those who like to step dodge.

bullets = low damage, but reliable accuracy.
Projectile Techniques = extreme damage, but slower than bullets and thus able to be dodged easier

Lightning techniques = always hits airborne opponent, can paralyze enemies, not allowing them to attack
Fire techniques = powerful but slow, thus easier to dodge. Can burn. Most damaging, thus best for Finishing Attack.
ice techniques = can freeze opponents, stopping mobility
ground techniques = always hit grounded opponent
Megid = High cost + long casting animation-- dont get hit by it
Grants = High cost + Very long casting animation -- dont let them cast it.

Zorafim
Oct 26, 2011, 11:19 AM
The greatest strength of a "glass cannon" isn't their damage output which never scales properly. It's their ability to drop heavy heals and powerful buffs while being frail themselves.

No. That's called a cleric. A glass cannon is someone who can't take a hit, but can dish out a ton of damage to compinsate. That's their definition.
I understand where you're coming at when you say that force is a support class, because that's what they've become since PSO. But don't try to justify them being called a glass cannon by pointing out their strengths.

Heck, why DID forces become the support class? Spell casters in the PS series up until that point barely had any healing spells at all. They were all about unloading their damage, which made them a nice compliment to the other, more survivable characters. Black mages, or wizards, if you will.
Ah well. I just have to accept that things changed with PSO.

Ryoga4523
Oct 26, 2011, 12:28 PM
Thread related: I do not know if you guys remember or not, but there actually was a form of pvp back on the dreamcast in ep 1 & 2. I remember running around the VR (either alpha or beta, I dont remember, then one that was the spaceship looking one) and using my ranger. It was odd at first, because the targeting system that was meant for (for lack of a better term) pve, was not the same when competing against another player. But there were also random traps to even the playing field. It was quircky, but it was fun.

On an off topic: I find it hilarious that we are so used to WoW (and its infinite clones) that we have become accustomed to using that lingo to describe things. We would have never used the phrase "dpsing" to describe damage being done, or AoE (to describe a spell), that goes to show you how much WoW has corrupted (or streamlined) the world of mmo's.

Back on topic: If Sega is trying to make PSO2 more like PSO from the good ol days, you have to take everything you know about modern mmo's, and throw it out the window. People are referring to classes and balance, and how certain players will play, or react. What happens if Sega decides to give Hunters and Rangers the ability to use resta again, or use shifta and deband up to a certain level? Also, what about special weapons? Not red box type rare weapons, but a regular weapon, that has special abilities. I remember when I found the Hell Laser back on PSO ver. 2, on ruins hard or vhard, that regular laser with special characteristics was destroying enemies because it halved their life each time I used the special. I have always been a fan of pvp, but I hate it when they gimp it so that it plays different than when not in pvp. Megid's accuracy should not be lowered (by default) because its going after another player, and that should go for damage being done by all types of classes for all types of weapons. We are all stuck in the mindset of today's mmo's and trying to transport what we do in those games so that it can work effectively in the world of PSO. Talk of healers/clerics really does not belong, because pso never had such a class. Yes forces could heal for greater amounts than rangers and hunters, but everyones goal was to do damamge. If I were in a group and a force was just casting shifta and deband, and healing when necessary while we were on De Rol Lei, he/she would be asked to leave. I know it is hard, but if you try and think of how pso was before WoW came out, you may have a better understanding of how pvp should play out.

•Col•
Oct 26, 2011, 12:44 PM
On an off topic: I find it hilarious that we are so used to WoW (and its infinite clones) that we have become accustomed to using that lingo to describe things. We would have never used the phrase "dpsing" to describe damage being done, or AoE (to describe a spell), that goes to show you how much WoW has corrupted (or streamlined) the world of mmo's.

Those terms were around WAY longer than WoW, brah.

Ever heard of Dungeons and Dragons? :l

Kenbog
Oct 26, 2011, 01:03 PM
going to put it simple, PS + PVP = BS in terms of really fighting against eachothers.

Time attacks, races or minigames are fine with me tho :p

Dinosaur
Oct 26, 2011, 01:38 PM
That sounds about right, Remius.

If the dashing retains it's craziness from what we've seen, I would imagine it would play kinda like Gundam Extreme VS(which like I mentioned in a previous post, plays like pretty much like Virtual-On).

Zorafim
Oct 26, 2011, 02:42 PM
Overly long post

I, um... I'm sorry, what was your point? I'm trying to find it, but I'm kinda getting lost.

NoiseHERO
Oct 26, 2011, 02:57 PM
Put some people in a box.- I mean between a choice or randomly choosen rooms with different simple themes.

Default weapons, Stats and Skills.

Rock-Paper-Scissor + Skill based "metagame" whatever you call the versus another player challenge.

Elimination match, capture the base, capture the flag, Stop the one over powered player, who cares.

No player time/money = advantage drama. Now "which class is OP?" drama. With this setup it may as well be a simplified version of S4 League.

yoshiblue
Oct 26, 2011, 02:59 PM
Basically something about how "WoW" was said to have change the way we speak for starters. Personally I doubt that. Anyways the main point was that Ryoga wants it to be totally different and for the weapons and spells to act the same way as playing the regular mode.

How different you ask? Don't know. Could be banjo kazooie to nuts and bolts different to PSO to PSU different.

Put some people in a box.- I mean between a choice or randomly choosen rooms with different simple themes.

Rock-Paper-Scissor + Skill based "metagame" whatever you call the versus another player challenge.

Elimination match, capture the base, capture the flag, Stop the one over powered player, who cares.

No player time/money = advantage drama. Now "which class is OP?" drama. With this setup it may as well be a simplified version of S4 League.

Or Like FEZ/Dragon Nest(?) where no matter how much time you put into the game it never affects your stats much. Would solve some problems.

NoiseHERO
Oct 26, 2011, 03:10 PM
Basically something about how "WoW" was said to have change the way we speak for starters. Personally I doubt that. Anyways the main point was that Ryoga wants it to be totally different and for the weapons and spells to act the same way as playing the regular mode.

How different you ask? Don't know. Could be banjo kazooie to nuts and bolts different to PSO to PSU different.

Or Like FEZ/Dragon Nest(?) where no matter how much time you put into the game it never affects your stats much. Would solve some problems.

Yeah I was thinking of PSP2's PVP (but less lag and over powered PA issues and less boring) and FEZ.

Damn I miss FEZ...

Though lag will ALWAYS be an issue with PVP of course... At least for asian online games.

yoshiblue
Oct 26, 2011, 03:13 PM
Savanna should be a title now.

RemiusTA
Oct 26, 2011, 03:34 PM

Pretty much. Rock Paper Scissors is pretty much the simplified basis for ALL fighting games, the complexity comes from the conditions in which you roll and how you follow up.

The different choices can obviously be your combos, but to be more simplified, the weapons you have equipped.

Honestly, the only REAL change they have to do is how they handle defensive maneuvers. Add some blockstun frames and you have an instant fighting game. Obviously, PvP wouldn't be as in-depth as something like, oh say Blazblue, Tekken or Street Fighter. You would probably have something like a time limit, and whoever has the most kills wins or something.

If you add in terrain gimmicks and the fact that PSO2 features jumping and vertical gameplay, you can have some pretty awesomely fun shit going on. Capture the Flag, King of Hill, Team Match, Free-For-All, ect ect.

Also, keep in mind PSO2 has 4 person teams, but allows up to 12 players at once. (makes for easy Teamplay, ya think?) 1v1 gameplay is great and all, but i think a PvP mode would work best when you have a team behind you for strategy.

One Party vs. Another Party would be fun as fuck. Or, a mode where they put 2 parties on a regular map, and whoever kills the most enemies wins or something (but you're allowed to attack the other players if you find them.) Then, it'd be like Free Battle Mode on PSO except actually fun.

Pballer42
Oct 26, 2011, 03:47 PM
Im cool with whatever PvP is put in place as long as C-Mode comes back haha. I miss those nights :)

Zorafim
Oct 26, 2011, 03:57 PM
I missed Challenge Mode in PSO, but I did check out the one implemented in PSP2. My god, it was amazing. If I could do that in a more proper online game (one where comunication is easier, and it's easier to get a party), I would do nothing but that all day.

It's like a condensed version of the game, where skill replaces time spent. You can play through the highlights of the game in hours, while getting more of a challenge out of it than if you would have done anything else.
I SO want.

NoiseHERO
Oct 26, 2011, 04:22 PM
I missed Challenge Mode in PSO, but I did check out the one implemented in PSP2. My god, it was amazing. If I could do that in a more proper online game (one where comunication is easier, and it's easier to get a party), I would do nothing but that all day.

It's like a condensed version of the game, where skill replaces time spent. You can play through the highlights of the game in hours, while getting more of a challenge out of it than if you would have done anything else.
I SO want.

Hell if they brought these two modes back for PSP2 without making a fuss over it, No one should be butthurt if PSO2 the actual throwback to PSO does the same thing...

Even thinking about it PSO's pvp never destroyed and raped the community into shreds of undeniable hatred and inappropriate disrespect toward every moving thing in the form of rubbing and dipping your digital balls on someones forehead as their character lies without HP whilst spamming "LOL NOOB" like an unclever 12 year old whose balls haven't dropped, yet he's teabagging you with his digital ones as he begins to feel some sort of self accomplishment at the beggining of the 8-13 years he's about to spend being a virgin because he got good enough at some online game nobody plays to be able to actually beat someone at something for the first time of his life.

You guys say yourselves PSO had an awesome community. But it had PVP though. Sucky PVP but still. I'm sure they never have and never will waste their time and resources trying too hard on PVP, No one is expecting them to because it doesn't even have to be more complicated than it's already been in the past to satisfy the people that would actually play it.

ERM right as for challenge mode, yeah, it separates the douchebags who spam missions all day like robots and pretend it makes them pro or takes skill or something when it's really just gambling for free. And the players that actually have skill, and develop strategies that require teamwork while moving as quickly and efficiently as you can without making mistakes. You know that thing people bitch about when talking about supporting a party in NORMAL gameplay but in THIS CASE IT'S ACTUALLY IMPORTANT!

I'm one of those assholes that "ruin it for my party" by playing however I want, but me and a friend actually came pretty close to a high score on one of the JP DLC event ones.

Raveno
Oct 26, 2011, 04:53 PM
it would be interesting if PSO2 had friendly fire^^;:D

Zorafim
Oct 26, 2011, 05:00 PM
You've played PSU, right? Hunters swinging around swords twice their length in wide circles, rangers firing grenades, lasers, and shotguns in reckless abandon, and forces covering the entire screen in any element they want. I see absolutely NO way to avoid hitting your team mates using these tools.

In other words, BRING IT ON!

NoiseHERO
Oct 26, 2011, 05:02 PM
I'd blow up my teammates to land that last big hit on dark falz, sure.

I probably got caught in like 4 or 5 of their devil may kingdomhearts combos on the way there already anyway.

Zorafim
Oct 26, 2011, 05:29 PM
Mich, I gotta say, that rant was beautiful.

RemiusTA
Oct 26, 2011, 05:58 PM
devil may dynasty hearts by sleep of war gaiden 2

couldnt help it

self accomplishment at the beggining of the 8-13 years he's about to spend being a virgin because he got good enough at some online game nobody plays to be able to actually beat someone at something for the first time of his life.

Ahh. So great.

Jonth
Oct 26, 2011, 06:37 PM
Rock: Typically melee fighters. Stupidly long combo chains, juggles, hard to knock over, hard hitting.
Scissors: Usually the archers or ranged characters. Pew, pew, and more pew. Chips away at health and picks off stragglers.
Paper: Blanket your allies in heals, buffs, and debuffs. Don't bother casting nukes. You can't chain damage like a Hunter or Ranger can and their healer will nullify any damage you think you're doing by the time you wind up the next cast.

Of course, if you ain't healing as a mage, you won't be a threat and will probably be last one alive on your team. The healers go down first, then the melee who are in every bodies faces, then the rangers. Then... whoever was being carried.

tl;dr

NO!! ::Punches Computer::

... Sorry, you're entitled to that opinion, but it is the EXACT mind set that ticks me off, and the mind set that I feel SEGA has had about forces ever since PSO (no didn't play PSO, but I have played 1, 2, 3, and am on 4).

What you have described is a Cleric my friend. Not a mage. Maybe forces are no longer the stereotypical mage... But they should be. You know Rune from PS4? Yeah. Like that. THAT, is what a force should be. At least one that is geared towards DPS. Maybe Forces should be able to spec more towards support or DPS based on that skill tree they are implementing, but a Force speced in offense should NEVER... Never lose out in DPS.

Because Glass Cannon does not mean the twisted metaphor that you have conjured in your mind... I mean heck, you just metaphored, a metaphor! Glass (fragile) Cannon (a powerful weapon). Not more complicated than that.

NoiseHERO
Oct 26, 2011, 06:40 PM
^
Wait there's really a large number people that thought glass cannon meant something else?

RemiusTA
Oct 26, 2011, 06:53 PM
about the only other conclusion i could possibly draw from "Glass Cannon" is that you suicide after every attack

NoiseHERO
Oct 26, 2011, 06:57 PM
The last glass cannon class I ever played in a game was greatsword in FEZ...

Which once you made a single wrong move, you'd be dead in a couple of hits because equipping a buster sword pretty much cut off a chunk of your defense.

And one of the skills which at first seemed like the strongest move, would pretty much be the wrong move in 98% of any situation.

So yeah I wouldn't say that'd be a suicide every move you make class. But anything is better than "BUFF BITCH."

Jonth
Oct 26, 2011, 07:55 PM
^
Wait there's really a large number people that thought glass cannon meant something else?

It's a shock to me as well.

Kent
Oct 26, 2011, 08:55 PM
If you add in terrain gimmicks and the fact that PSO2 features jumping and vertical gameplay, you can have some pretty awesomely fun shit going on. Capture the Flag, King of Hill, Team Match, Free-For-All, ect ect.

Also, keep in mind PSO2 has 4 person teams, but allows up to 12 players at once. (makes for easy Teamplay, ya think?) 1v1 gameplay is great and all, but i think a PvP mode would work best when you have a team behind you for strategy.

One Party vs. Another Party would be fun as fuck. Or, a mode where they put 2 parties on a regular map, and whoever kills the most enemies wins or something (but you're allowed to attack the other players if you find them.) Then, it'd be like Free Battle Mode on PSO except actually fun.
Three-team Capture the Flag, with monsters populating the field (and escalating and attacking all teams' bases to try and break stalemates). Rare enemies, when killed, pop up a ChuChu Rocket-style roulette that adds a random effect onto the field; Rappy Mania, switch team base positions, reset all flags, spawn Dragons, fast respawns, etc..

Honestly, I rather enjoy team-based and more strategic modes in games if they're well-balanced and designed to be fun. Just, straight-up deathmatch modes aren't interesting, but are generally the only thing that really comes out of people clamoring for PvP in the latest online game.

Selphea
Oct 27, 2011, 07:17 PM
Gogo League of Legendary Hunters =x I want to push out on a lane and creep block my Boomas, then farm Dimenians and down Del Lily towers for meseta $_$ Gank random players from the tall grass too

ShadowDragon28
Oct 27, 2011, 10:05 PM
as long as it's in some optional arena/battle mode were people deafault to basic weapons, fine. But I'm not really into PVP.

Garnet_Moon
Oct 27, 2011, 10:10 PM
There better be catapults from Phantasy Star Portable.

MelancholyWitch
Oct 31, 2011, 04:29 AM
Now to actually get back to the topic at hand I'm wondering here if anyone is truly seriously thinking into this correctly... Think about it for a moment.

You could have separate servers, PVP, and PVE ones. How interesting would the mission go if there was a random interrupt event with another party doing the same mission and you would have to fight the opposing party for completion of the mission? It wouldn't be just a mindless continuous run of the same missions, it would actually be different depending on the outcome from the pvp, failing a mission due to pvp would give purpose in pvp itself.

And as people stated earlier, there could be different pvp modes that have certain objectives which would just increase the longevity of the game, making it easier to update as well, let's be honest although PVE is the main focus, can a game truly be fun going against AI's only? what's the point of online play then? There's so much you could do with PVP in PSO2 without ruining the game or changing it too much, but adding it could increase its' lifespan. PSO had battle mode and such it was interesting, needed a lot of rework and help to actually make it more tuned to pvp damage was crazy if you had a good native weapon. I don't think just adding a battle mode would be enough, more is needed, I know PSO has been about running countless missions, but there should be more purpose than just getting rare items or experience out of these missions. There should be competition for these missions and their rewards, games are suppose to be challenging, that is what makes them fun, PVP creates challenge if there is something at stake, in this case the mission completion and its' reward.

Maybe we should be a bit more serious about this and try suggesting it to SEGA of Japan, from what I've seen they seem more open to actually listening to their fan base for this, I think if enough people put in the interest they would hear us out and implement a very well put PVP system, it could even attract players who are outside of the PSO community something that is greatly needed seeing as the future population to PSO2 could be quite low compared to other games that started.

Jonth
Oct 31, 2011, 07:35 AM
Don't think I like the idea pride. A failed mission because of player interference? I would be ticked. Heck, if that is what you are trying to accomplish, just get in someone's party, and bomb it for them. Secondly, from what I have read, everyone aboard the ship is more or less fighting for a common goal. Seems like it doesn't mesh very well with the story.

I like the idea of PvP, but personally, I think it should be limited to some game members of the ship play in some holograph chamber.

Scejntjynahl
Oct 31, 2011, 09:40 AM
Don't think I like the idea pride. A failed mission because of player interference? I would be ticked. Heck, if that is what you are trying to accomplish, just get in someone's party, and bomb it for them. Secondly, from what I have read, everyone aboard the ship is more or less fighting for a common goal. Seems like it doesn't mesh very well with the story.

I like the idea of PvP, but personally, I think it should be limited to some game members of the ship play in some holograph chamber.

This is true ^

Honestly though, you are taking a game whose roots have been of team play and then shifting it to pvp? It wont sit right. Specially if the pvp as mentioned above hinders your ability to finish missions. Who would want to play that? It is one of the things that I dislike of Aion for example. Im minding my own business, gathering materials, avoiding aggressive npc characters... and in the middle of my gathering animation BAM WHAM THANK YOU MA'AM a group of 5 Assassin player controlled charaters rip me to shreds. Forcing me to start all the way back, lose experience, lose time. Yes... NOT FUN.

And the last thing I would want for PSO2 is not to have fun. This is what happened to PSU, it wasnt as fun, and that was without pvp.

I realize that there are people who love to pvp, maybe they were bullies in their yournger years I dont know. But for them, they should have seperate areas dedicated to pvp and that those areas play or have no significance to others in completing objectives. Which is another downfall of Aion, forcing you to pvp areas to finish certain missions.

At least the pvp areas should have options to make the fight more balanced. Putting limits to eliminate ppl who are obviously better geared. Make like old Cmode where everyone starts essentially the same level and gear.

Zorafim
Oct 31, 2011, 10:39 AM
Competing with other people to get a prize sounds like a pretty awesome idea. Kinda reminds me of the "kiss the princess" segment in Castle Crashers, where you fought your friends after fighting the boss until a winner was decided, and the winner gets to rescue the princess. It was entirely pointless, but the rush was great.

If this was done in game though, there would need to be some restrictions. Like you mentioned, it would need to be in a PvP specific mission, as in you would know beforehand that another party might attack you part way. I think greater rewards would be needed too, to counteract the fact that you have a greater chance to fail. And of course, the rewards/hour for these missions would be similar to other missions, so nobody is forced to do them.

Neat idea, I don't think I've heard anything else like it before. It also kinda puts emphasis on your character being a mercenary just looking for another paycheck.

NoiseHERO
Oct 31, 2011, 11:09 AM
"In this mission, your client will have you working with 3 other men.

After you get the data sample, I want you to kill them and bring the sample to me instead."

yoshiblue
Oct 31, 2011, 11:19 AM
"Then you will turn around not knowing that i'm going to back stab you."

MelancholyWitch
Oct 31, 2011, 11:44 AM
This is true ^

Honestly though, you are taking a game whose roots have been of team play and then shifting it to pvp? It wont sit right. Specially if the pvp as mentioned above hinders your ability to finish missions. Who would want to play that? It is one of the things that I dislike of Aion for example. Im minding my own business, gathering materials, avoiding aggressive npc characters... and in the middle of my gathering animation BAM WHAM THANK YOU MA'AM a group of 5 Assassin player controlled charaters rip me to shreds. Forcing me to start all the way back, lose experience, lose time. Yes... NOT FUN.

And the last thing I would want for PSO2 is not to have fun. This is what happened to PSU, it wasnt as fun, and that was without pvp.

I realize that there are people who love to pvp, maybe they were bullies in their yournger years I dont know. But for them, they should have seperate areas dedicated to pvp and that those areas play or have no significance to others in completing objectives. Which is another downfall of Aion, forcing you to pvp areas to finish certain missions.

At least the pvp areas should have options to make the fight more balanced. Putting limits to eliminate ppl who are obviously better geared. Make like old Cmode where everyone starts essentially the same level and gear.

Not sure what you 2 are getting at, there is contradictions in your reply, first off I agree PSO series has been about teamwork, but don't discern the fact that PVP requires TEAMWORK in most cases, and in PSO2 it would be the perfect game to show this aspect of PVP in which teamwork is required to succeed, not just individual efforts/skill or good equipment.

you're also saying PSU wasn't fun, PSU is by far one of the most PVE driven games I've seen which is why it's so dull and boring PVP brings longevity to any mmo or rpg this is a proven fact, so you pretty much just proved my own point...mmo's or rpg's without a PVP system in them aren't not very fun or have a lot of play value in them. Like I stated in my last post at least PSO had it some form of battle modes, but if there was a server that actually allowed PVP it would be more fun, than just PSU as you yourself said there is no PVP so instead of players competing against each other for greater rewards, you have those players sitting in random lobbies or on the 4th floor talking about drama complaining that there's nothing to do, geez I wonder why.

What Zorafim said makes sense as well, it would really go great if they implemented this in PSO2, it's not like you are getting griefed to the point where you can't do missions, you just know that certain missions will have to be fought over for, if you fail your team can go back and do the mission again, although these special missions will always have a chance for an Interrupt PVP event, which could be a fair PVP it wouldn't be like other games where you getting randomly ganked and owned in the middle of Forest X while farming, then crying about it because you don't have friends to come help go against then. IN this situation you can't outnumber someone, because the random Interrupt pvp event could be either a free for all between 12 individual players, a team battle 4 vs 4, or a free fall team battle 4vs 4 vs 4. There would be balance, because you couldn't mass 4 people against 1. IT WOULD BE FAIR PVP, think about it...it would take a lot of skill to pvp like this, you could end up with all your teammates dead and you alone would have to take out the rest of their team with skill, some moon atomizer's I'm thinking a good player can turn that situation around to his favor especially with features like jumping,dodge roll, etc. You could really tell a good player between a bad one, the way he uses environment to elude his enemies, and then the other team would have to search for him before he moons his teammates up it would just bee too much fun =). This isn't l2,wow or aion so not like you to worry about griefing or ganking... in PSO2 you will know it happen you just wont know what to expect, like which types you will be facing against, how many forces they have, etc.

I think PSO series needs to go back to whole idea that in reality THEY ARE HUNTERS apart of a society known as the Hunters Guild, by definition hunters hunt things. Even in PSO ep 1&2 there were quest you could take that specifically would target other player characters, IE Black pepper stuff where through the mission you fought various player characters, not monsters. Think about if they implement a mission in which you have to part take in a job to try and fight other hunters who are doing a mission? the possibilities become endless at this point, and could create a whole new gaming experience for people who never had a chance to enjoy PSO. It could really bring back PSO to what's it truly about, and focus on the hunter's guild thing. In reality the hunter's guild was the main part of the game, a counter where you accepted jobs for pay. There's nothing wrong with putting some jobs that requires pvp interaction with other players, it would actually give more reason for repetitive play.

Scejntjynahl
Oct 31, 2011, 11:56 AM
Not sure what you 2 are getting at, there is contradictions in your reply, first off I agree PSO series has been about teamwork, but don't discern the fact that PVP requires TEAMWORK in most cases, and in PSO2 it would be the perfect game to show this aspect of PVP in which teamwork is required to succeed, not just individual efforts/skill or good equipment.

you're also saying PSU wasn't fun, PSU is by far one of the most PVE driven games I've seen, Like I stated at least PSO had it some form of battle modes, but if there was a server that actually allowed

What Zorafim said makes sense as well, it would really go great if they implemented this in PSO2, it's not like you are getting griefed to the point where you can't do missions, you just know that certain missions will have to be fought over for, if you fail your team can go back and do the mission again, although these special missions will always have a chance for an Interrupt PVP event.

It is not contradictions. A good reply will often concede some points to the person you are debating against so it does not turn out in a pointless flamewar.

PvP may require teamwork, but it puts you against other fellow gamers who may not want to pvp at all. That is what I was getting at. Forcing pvp on everyone is what kills it for some. I am not saying PSO2 will actually shove this down your throat and make it mandatory to pvp to advance in the game. And I was trying to say that if they do have some pvp it should be regulated to specific areas and give people the choice to enter pvp if they so desire. I pointed out Aion because it has a pvpve environments, but it fails in the fact that it FORCES you to pvp in order to progress in the game. That is what Im hoping pso2 never does.

Zorafim
Oct 31, 2011, 01:11 PM
I thought this post was going to be short and concise, but that just didn't happen. So I'll just spoiler box it and move on.

[spoiler-box]Forced PvP is really lame. Or rather, ganking is. I have some memories of going along, trying to learn how to play the game, and enjoy the atmosphere and story, when suddenly, my character explodes. I look around and see that a capped character decided it would be fun to oneshot me. So then I have to eat whatever ressurection penalties are there, and continue on with what I was doing. Except nope! Oneshotted again.

Even when I'm at cap, and you can only pvp in certain conditions, people will run at you with a bloodlust no matter what you do if they can. Randomly get hit by a guard? You're stuck in pvp mode, and anyone can jump you. Someone decides it'll be fun to fight you? Hit him with stuns, keep yourself alive, overall just deter him from wanting to attack you. He'll chase you halfway across the world to do it. Heck, just doing a friendly high demand quest can be a pain. If a ton of people are able to get into a small area, you can bet that at least one massive brawl will take place. And if PvP is triggered, you can bet that one side will try to force the otherside into triggering their PvP. In one event, I had to kill some mobs in order to continue on with the event. If I die, I have to start from a checkpoint. However, so many enemy players flagged themselves, you had to sift through ten of them to get to one mob. And if you hit one player accidentally, you get flagged for PvP, and get attacked by any who can attack you in time. So the entire event was, avoid attacking flagged players, and hope you kill enough mobs in time to move on to the next checkpoint. It was this event that made me decide to get pvp gear.

I'm in a PvE server in WoW. That is, I play in an area with people who decided that they'd rather not fight each other. And of course, this means that everyone fights each other at the first chance they get. It's gotten to a point where I go around in PvP gear, just to say that I'm not an easy target, and just so that I can take on anyone who wants to jump me.[/spoiler-box]

That being said, pvp can be fun if both parties want to do it. Battlegrounds and duals are great high stress gamestyles for when you want that extra edge. No matter how hard the enemy AI is, there's nothing quite like fighting another player. If it's done right, it can be really fun. Just as long as it's not forced.

NoiseHERO
Oct 31, 2011, 01:23 PM
phantasy star community is different though, it's not filled with 2345235235 prepubescent retards, maybe a few grown men that whine like them but that's really it.

I can't picture someone like coloya or macman running into open missions and bashing in new player's heads in because they felt like it.

And the shitty XBOX community, most of them are probably too dumb to even know what a PC game is.

That's just saying though, I'm sure no one wants PKing. a PK system personally would only be cool in something in an open world and it would have to be pulled off in a cool way. Like a 24-7 competition for survival in the open world sort of thing, while you're out traveling for long periods of time. Though if you abuse other players too much things you'd be going down a tougher path.

Basically what other MMO's try to do but without failing horribly, minus most of the community being too pussy to participate, and minus MMOs sucking in general.

Zorafim
Oct 31, 2011, 01:30 PM
Well, WoW's community IS rather retarded... In just about every stretch of the imagination.

yoshiblue
Oct 31, 2011, 01:33 PM
Dem Xboxians.

•Col•
Oct 31, 2011, 03:24 PM
If there was an open PVP area, I'd be ok with it. Just make it like it was in PSO... If you choose Battle Mode for the party/room type, you could either go to the counter and go into a specialized area (like that awesome laser tag-esque room) for a certain battle type, or you could warp down to Ragol and just fight eachother/monsters.

Jonth
Oct 31, 2011, 10:03 PM
Pride, I may have misunderstood your overall point. I would NOT be okay with someone just randomly popping into my mission, and stealing my reward. If you are saying these would be specific missions or a specific option that could be toggled, then sure, okay. I would even be willing to try it because I like PvP every now and then. I don't like being forced into it though. Basically, stuff that has already been said above.

Randomness
Oct 31, 2011, 11:25 PM
You know what would be a cool pvp area? Time attack. Seriously, make a 12-man area that amounts to three identical halls, identical spawns, etc.

Macman
Nov 1, 2011, 04:03 AM
PSOBB sort of had something like that on the JP server called LOGiN race or something. It was 2 vs 2 and they had similar spawns, the teams scored points based on how fast they went, how many times they were downed, and if they reached certain terminals first.
Reaching a terminal before your opposing team allowed you to set a temporary status effect on them, in the end they tallied the points up and the team with more won.

Expanding on that in PSO2 would be quite interesting.

Garnet_Moon
Nov 1, 2011, 08:44 AM
Lobby soccer with incentives to do it. Maybe jerseys, scoreboards, achievements(because people care about this for some reason), flaming balls like NBA jam on the SNES, maybe some equally goofy commentary, I dunno.

I dunno, maybe teams too. Not just something silly to do in that one lobby on that one server nobody visits... ;_; it was always lonely playing by myself.

Macman
Nov 1, 2011, 09:00 AM
I still liked the idea a while back of incorporating PSO epIII card games as a sidegame to PSO2.

Garnet_Moon
Nov 1, 2011, 09:09 AM
I still liked the idea a while back of incorporating PSO epIII card games as a sidegame to PSO2.
The TGS promo video for the first expansion pack should show shots of the original Episode 3 in action, then show what it'd look like with PSO2 graphics. Then the last screen should say "Episode III", and then a few moments later phase in a "-2" after the III.

Oh, what I would give to be in the audience if they do that.