PDA

View Full Version : Difference in servers.

Asmodios
Oct 22, 2011, 11:44 PM
I'm going to ask a legitimate question. Why do the Japanese keep their servers superior to U.S. servers? I always try to think of an answer, but i cant come to a conclusion. I want to know if there's some fiscal reason for doing this. to me, it seems as if it would be financially devastating to keep U.S. servers inferior and outdated. SEGA is a multi-million dollar corporation and must have some logical reason for doing this.

Shou
Oct 22, 2011, 11:55 PM
Imagine the xbox servers after about two more YEARS of updates, no server wide lag and no reskins. That and the languages the game is in.

Edit: Sorry I just skimmed your post and thought you were asking the differences lol.

Halcyote
Oct 22, 2011, 11:57 PM
Because the game was designed for the Japanese market.

That's all there is to it without tiptoe-ing on the line for a console warz discussion.

HappyPenguin
Oct 23, 2011, 01:39 AM
There mad because the US is a better country than Japan.
That and they like too keep servers exclusive.
We get reskins...
They get the good stuff..
Thats why you see EVERYBODY changing servers..
And Japan ALWAYS gets stuff before Us.

Asmodios
Oct 23, 2011, 01:41 AM
Because the game was designed for the Japanese market.

That's all there is to it without tiptoe-ing on the line for a console warz discussion.

is that really the only reason why?

HappyPenguin
Oct 23, 2011, 01:45 AM
Trust me its not the only reason.
They HATE too give there content too us.
They only put it on 360 for more money.

HappyPenguin
Oct 23, 2011, 01:52 AM
I dont get why fourm-goers "YES FOURM-GOERS*
Keep making these threads even though they already know whats different and they get the SAME things everytime.
The JP Servers have always been better than are's
Trust me we WONT get the items...
By the time we do PSO2 would almost be in America..

ZER0 DX
Oct 23, 2011, 02:55 AM
is that really the only reason why?

Pretty much, yeah.

It started back on Blue Burst, the first time a PSO game wasn't global. Japanese got way ahead in terms of content, and we hardly ever got updated and then finally shut down after loads of problems.

The local version of PSOBB was missing out on at least 50+ Japanese exclusive items before getting shut down in March 2008 after only ~3 years of activity, while Japans version kept going until December 2010.

PSU on PC/PS2 suffered the same fate, the only reason 360 is still going is because people are still paying for that subpar service and Sega is making money off of all of the people gullible enough to keep paying for it.

PSP1 ended up missing out on DLC content when it got localized.

PSZero had the same thing happen with a couple of items.

PSP2 lost out on secure online servers, had no events and missed out on every piece of DLC unlike the JP version.

PSP2 Infinity never even got looked at by Sega for an official localization and now it's up to us fans to actually do the work for them.

Needless to say, the Phantasy Star franchise will always be fucked over in the west because they just don't care about anyone but their Japanese player base and never will.

Unless PSO2 is global, I'll be on the Japanese servers from day one because I've quite frankly had enough of the way the series has been treated over here. They've had at least 6 chances to get it right and messed up on every single one of them.

.Rusty.
Oct 23, 2011, 05:32 AM
They are pretty much just milking it for sub fees now :l

Miyavi-sensei
Oct 23, 2011, 08:24 AM
Every japanese company keeps a superior version for themselves just look at PSP2-Infinity or Kingdom Hearts-Final mix

Powder Keg
Oct 23, 2011, 11:52 AM
If they continue their Phantasy Star series with the drip-feed content, as long as the servers are separated (and they probably will be, a lot of Japanese players have been whining and crying about US players since PSO for Dreamcast) Every title will be treated just as badly as PSU has been.

If they don't start supporting global servers, this company deserves to go under, period. It could actually happen, as they're clearly not keeping up with other game companies and developers and constantly cutting jobs.

Cloud Strife
Oct 23, 2011, 02:07 PM
I'm going to ask a legitimate question. Why do the Japanese keep their servers superior to U.S. servers? I always try to think of an answer, but i cant come to a conclusion. I want to know if there's some fiscal reason for doing this. to me, it seems as if it would be financially devastating to keep U.S. servers inferior and outdated. SEGA is a multi-million dollar corporation and must have some logical reason for doing this.

its quite simple, they hate us...

EvilMag
Oct 23, 2011, 02:13 PM
Not to mention back on Gamecube, if you were American and reported someone. (ex FSODing, handing out hacks, etc.) They won't get banned but if a Japanese person reports they will get banned.

Gothica
Oct 23, 2011, 03:41 PM
It's not just Phantasy Star a lot of Japanese games will never be released. I wonder why close the PS2/PC servers when it was still generating some money.

bupjo
Oct 23, 2011, 05:26 PM
Keep making these threads even though they already know whats different and they get the SAME things everytime.

why do people assume we will get PSO2 anyway? of course they haven't confirmed or denied it, but it is possible we may actually not get a localized PSO game. i've searched as many sites as i could on if we would get it but can't find anything...it is still in development, anything can be announced between now and 2012.

anyway, if we do get it, given the history of how the west has been treated with the PSO games, why would anyone continue to support Sega unless people plan on getting on the JP servers once it's out. but sadly the west has like the "battered wife syndrome"...we believe what Sega says about supporting the western servers with updates and getting all the things the JP servers get, then they don't keep their word, yet we continue to give them money knowing they will never change. we keep hoping and wishing they will treat us better but...they are consistent in treating us like shit...but we still love and support them even though we complain about how much they hate us.

to each their own, but i am shocked that people continue to support Xbox PSU with the service they give us. why stop giving poor service if we continue to support them? why should they give a damn about us if they know no matter what they do, we will love them no matter how much they "hate" us?

Asmodios
Oct 23, 2011, 05:29 PM

i think you misinterpreted my question. but thanks for your... input.

Asmodios
Oct 23, 2011, 05:36 PM
i would like to switch to the Japanese servers, but id probably get lost in the process. besides, i don't know if i would figure everything out immediately. im just happy we don't have guardians cash to be honest; that's a game killer for me.

Anon_Fire
Oct 23, 2011, 05:56 PM
I guess there's no "actual" reason why.

Powder Keg
Oct 23, 2011, 06:24 PM
There's a reason, Sega employees just aren't going to tell you.

Miyavi-sensei
Oct 23, 2011, 06:39 PM
People still pay for Xbox PSU because the game is fun and convenient, theres no other mmo like PSU on Xbox.

HappyPenguin
Oct 23, 2011, 07:35 PM
Once Edward said are servers are "Unique" this site turned into a war zone.

I thought i told you this....
THEY HATE US
It wont make a difference we complain.
GET OVER IT!

Anon_Fire
Oct 23, 2011, 07:42 PM
Tell that to the 360 players, if you can.

Halcyote
Oct 23, 2011, 07:53 PM
HappyPenguin there's a quote button and an edit button. Please make full use of those features in the future.

ashley50
Oct 23, 2011, 08:22 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/ashley_riot/1310936511661.png

FOnewearl-Lina
Oct 23, 2011, 09:06 PM
HappyPenguin there's a quote button and an edit button. Please make full use of those features in the future.
The horrible truth of the whole matter is... he's actually replying to himself, in some sort of bizarre bipolar power struggle for dominance over his mind.

Crysteon
Oct 23, 2011, 09:15 PM
The horrible truth of the whole matter is... he's actually replying to himself, in some sort of bizarre bipolar power struggle for dominance over his mind.

I'd rather take that than a bunch of ^_^s being shot indiscriminately with an Uzi.

Halcyote
Oct 23, 2011, 09:30 PM
Huh... When you put it that way...

FOnewearl-Lina
Oct 23, 2011, 09:37 PM
Huh... When you put it that way...
Yeah... if you read his last post carefully enough, you'll realize that it's actually his UNhappy side spontaneously popping out and posting-telling his Happy side to get over the fact that we hate him, even though in actual fact we love him :(

Crysteon
Oct 23, 2011, 09:43 PM
He's a Happy Penguin, but in reality he's unhappy with Sega's services. We have fell into a psychological paradox :0

Keilyn
Oct 23, 2011, 11:12 PM
Japan is pretty much an Island Nation of people who do whatever they want and practically don't give a damn about anyone else but themselves. After the Quake was over, they named around 50 people to be "Commended" citizens for their "actions" in the Quake. However, they forgot to thank the American and European support that entered the nation and prevented their reaction from completely melting down and consuming the population.

Culturally, I like Japan's History as its very different from most nations. Politically, however its amazing how those people are. There is a high level of racism and discrimination within their people.

You can have a foreigner hold a doctorate in a field, and they rather hire a person with a B.A who is a native Japanese than to deal with a foreigner. In fact their way of "appreciating" a person are them making idiotic statements claiming that "perhaps you should have been born Japanese" which that got really annoying....that when I could no longer take all the crap I pretty much put enough of them in their place in the social group I was part of in the real world.

I got tired of being in a group, being able to read, speak and write Japanese and being treated a second rate or third rate person within their in-group in MY OWN NATION and their level of racism and discrimination.

They take care of their own and care of themselves within their island nation. They create a product, then give it to a group for localization (which ensures you have rights within your own borders) and then apply minimum patches and try to entice people to join their servers where they have total control over everything.

This isn't just a problem with Phantasy Star, but since console games began you would always see stripped down non-Japanese versions that many took it upon themselves to learn Japanese to buy a non-stripped game.

My biggest problem with Japanese Gaming is that years ago I remembered downloading Emulators with practically ever Master System, Genesis, NES and SNES game in every language...and I when I played between American and the Japanese version...

Practically every single game had something stripped from it, and I don't mean just translation problems. It pissed the hell out of me, because when Americans and Europeans write a PC game, they not only update all versions to a standard, but the only time they STRIP anything from a game is when other governments order them to do so to sell them.

So its not "SEGA" but the "Japanese way of life" in which if you aren't Japanese or weren't born Japanese, You should have been born at all and you will be reminded of it....

Gothica
Oct 23, 2011, 11:31 PM
Pretty much accurate on that one Keilyn. Long standing debate between my JP friend and I when it comes to games. And his whole superiority short-man issues...

Asmodios
Oct 23, 2011, 11:43 PM
thanks keilyn, that was a very informative and seemingly accurate reply. thanks for replying, i appreciate it.

Positive
Oct 24, 2011, 03:07 AM
They probably just got tired of the rampant hacking/glitching when it comes to the us/eu versions.

Ilikelamp7
Oct 24, 2011, 03:28 AM
That wouldn't be happening if they were doing their jobs.

Selphea
Oct 24, 2011, 05:15 AM
Stuff

Why does Square Enix actually *gasp* listen to the baka gaijin then? :O

FOnewearl-Lina
Oct 24, 2011, 10:32 AM
Why does Square Enix actually *gasp* listen to the baka gaijin then? :O
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/final-fantasy-xiv-online
If my online game had a User Score of 3.8 after 1 year, I'd be desperately listening to ANYBODY...

Selphea
Oct 24, 2011, 10:46 AM
Judging by PSU's 2011 user reviews on the same site, I'd say PSU is headed the same direction, except people don't even care enough to give it a review =p

FOnewearl-Lina
Oct 24, 2011, 12:00 PM
Judging by PSU's 2011 user reviews on the same site, I'd say PSU is headed the same direction, except people don't even care enough to give it a review =p
How exactly does a game that has been out for 5 years head in the same direction as a game that has only been out for 1? Does it have something to do with time travel and those FTL neutrinos they recently discovered!

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/teaser/
If SE actually listened to people, the CEO of Square Enix wouldn't have had to come out and publicly apologise that XIV 'Severely damaged the Final Fantasy Brand", they wouldn't have had to restructure the entire development team and delay the launch of the Playstation 3 edition for over a year, nor would they have to extend the 'free trial period' from one month to one year.

If SE actually listened to people, XIV wouldn't have been such a complete and utter faliure, but it was. They only started listening once they realized their game was even worse than XBOX PSU!

Oct 24, 2011, 12:46 PM
Japan does not need to compete globally for the simple truth that they know everyone will buy what they create regardless because it literally pwns anything that is created in another country. Its not just their games...its ANYTHING THEY CREATE! Just wait until we get the "service androids". While we get the model that will cook, clean and hold a conversation with you, they will still keep the model designed for "ADULT ACTIVITY":kisses: and will replace that function with an assassination jutsu mode that will kill you when you ask the android "Can you play videogames with the children while I go to work?" Just remember that when the android starts doing hand seals to summon Kyuubi:rant:, its your fault cause you tried to make it teach your children how to play videogames properly. Trust me.:clown:

Oct 24, 2011, 01:18 PM
Not only has this country built an entire ceremony centered around SUICIDE, you have to look also at a certain period within their history to feel the full magnitude of how superior their country thinks them to be...THEY WERE PART OF THE NAZI PARTY AT ONE POINT! Nuff said.

milranduil
Oct 24, 2011, 02:30 PM
Does it have something to do with time travel and those FTL neutrinos they recently discovered!
They forgot to take relativity into account on the GPS satellite they were using. Neutrinos are still not FTL.

Selphea
Oct 24, 2011, 09:53 PM
How exactly does a game that has been out for 5 years head in the same direction as a game that has only been out for 1? Does it have something to do with time travel and those FTL neutrinos they recently discovered!

Wut.

Bad PR is bad PR, no matter what stage a game is at. At the franchise level, it can be said that PSU is damaging the Phantasy Star brand as much as FFXIV damaged the Final Fantasy brand. Besides, according to this thread (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191486), PSU PC bombed just as hard in its first year, if not harder.

If SE actually listened to people, the CEO of Square Enix wouldn't have had to come out and publicly apologise that XIV 'Severely damaged the Final Fantasy Brand", they wouldn't have had to restructure the entire development team and delay the launch of the Playstation 3 edition for over a year, nor would they have to extend the 'free trial period' from one month to one year.

Right. So they're doing all that because they're not listening. I haven't been a fan of SqEnix for about 10 years, and I believe their UI designer and whichever genius came up with the idea of a stamina system should be shot. However, as far as corporate communications go, SqEnix has been pro-active in their damage control. Despite the game being a failure, FFXIV has managed to stay on the radar by telling people what they want to hear, i.e. that the game will get better and features they don't like are going to be changed.

There are a number of other games that came out stillborn - Spellborn, Global Agenda, APB, Age of Conan etc. None of them have gone as far as FFXIV did. Usually they just make minimal changes and go F2P cash shop to milk all they can before dying unceremoniously.

What's interesting is that FFXIV 2.0 is slated for a Q4 2012 beta, and there's a very high likelihood that PSO2 International will be launched either slightly earlier, or in the same timeframe. There is considerable overlap in the player profiles of FF and PS: Pro-PvE, Pro-Japan and Pro-Grind being the most obvious. In PSU's early days, a good number of players came from FFXI. This time, the inverse may be true - FFXIV 2.0 may poach a sizable portion of PSO2's playerbase. So in a way, 2012 is going to be a report card of how well both companies have been listening in 2011.

FOnewearl-Lina
Oct 25, 2011, 01:36 AM
Wut.
You're comparing current reviews for a game that is 5 years old and an average userscore of 7.3 with a game that is 1 year old and an average userscore of 3.8. Not only is there a huge difference in score but you're saying that the older game is headed in the same direction as the newer one, which is impossible as time does not flow in that direction. That's like saying 'the iphone 3 is headed in the same direction as the iphone 4' or something, that's wut.

Right. So they're doing all that because they're not listening.
No, they're doing all that because they DIDN'T LISTEN, it's too late to come out and say 'hey guys we want your input now' once the horse has bolted.
XIV had an alpha and a beta test phase, and they basically ignored user input and steamrolled out the beta version as retail.
Compare that with the recent PSO2 alpha where they realized the game needed a bit more polish and pushed the release date back instead of pulling a XIV.

As for dying unceremoniously, remember FEZ? SE pulled the plug on that and sold it to Gamepot quicksmart when they realize demand wasn't high enough. The only thing stopping them from pulling the plug on XIV are the words "Final Fantasy", it costs SE money to fun the XIV servers FOR FREE but the consequences of letting a numbered FF game fail far outweigh that.

At the franchise level, it can be said that PSU is damaging the Phantasy Star brand as much as FFXIV damaged the Final Fantasy brand. Besides, according to this thread (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191486), PSU PC bombed just as hard in its first year, if not harder.
Oh please, you honestly think that churning playerbase because of lack of content is anywhere near the level of rewriting the entire game from the ground up WHIST keeping the service operating and extenting a 1 month free trial to over a year?

Selphea
Oct 25, 2011, 02:49 AM
You're comparing current reviews for a game that is 5 years old and an average userscore of 7.3 with a game that is 1 year old and an average userscore of 3.8. Not only is there a huge difference in score but you're saying that the older game is headed in the same direction as the newer one, which is impossible as time does not flow in that direction. That's like saying 'the iphone 3 is headed in the same direction as the iphone 4' or something, that's wut.

1) The bulk of userscores are made at launch. Compare scores of 2011 reviews to scores of 2011 reviews.
2) You're comparing a static product with a product that still receives updates. A more accurate analogy would be to say iOS is going the same way WP is, i.e. losing market share due to Android, despite WP being younger than iOS.

No, they're doing all that because they DIDN'T LISTEN, it's too late to come out and say 'hey guys we want your input now' once the horse has bolted.
XIV had an alpha and a beta test phase, and they basically ignored user input and steamrolled out the beta version as retail.
Compare that with the recent PSO2 alpha where they realized the game needed a bit more polish and pushed the release date back instead of pulling a XIV.

As for dying unceremoniously, remember FEZ? SE pulled the plug on that and sold it to Gamepot quicksmart when they realize demand wasn't high enough. The only thing stopping them from pulling the plug on XIV are the words "Final Fantasy", it costs SE money to fun the XIV servers FOR FREE but the consequences of letting a numbered FF game fail far outweigh that.

And so they learned to take their heads out of their you-know-whats and finally start listening. Tyvm for proving my point.

Oh please, you honestly think that churning playerbase because of lack of content is anywhere near the level of rewriting the entire game from the ground up WHIST keeping the service operating and extenting a 1 month free trial to over a year?

One is doing nothing. The other is doing something. Something != Nothing. Next year we will see the results of doing nothing vs doing something.

FOnewearl-Lina
Oct 25, 2011, 04:11 AM
1) The bulk of userscores are made at launch. Compare scores of 2011 reviews to scores of 2011 reviews.
Since one game has been out a whole lot longer, it's only fair to compare launch with launch.

2) You're comparing a static product with a product that still receives updates.
No, that would be you.

And so they learned to take their heads out of their you-know-whats and finally start listening. Tyvm for proving my point
Your point: 'Why does Square Enix actually *gasp* listen to the baka gaijin then? :O ', my point was they didn't listen prior to the game's release and only started once they realised the extent of thier fail, that's why ^_^

One is doing nothing. The other is doing something. Something != Nothing. Next year we will see the results of doing nothing vs doing something.
Yeah and ST came out with AoTI one year after PSU's launch, I wouldn't call that 'doing nothing'.
So, next year we will see the results of doing something? And then PSU can head in the same direction as XIV? Cool! :p

Selphea
Oct 25, 2011, 04:17 AM
Since one game has been out a whole lot longer, it's only fair to compare launch with launch.

Right. I can cut everything else out. Essentially, you're cherry-picking your own timeframes to make your comparisons instead of using the current state of affairs as an indicator. There's no point continuing this.

FOnewearl-Lina
Oct 25, 2011, 04:27 AM
There's no point continuing this.
Apparently so, since the concept of time seems to elude SE fanboys like you, happily sitting on their hands waiting a whole year for a fail game to improve.

Selphea
Oct 25, 2011, 06:05 AM
Apparently so, since the concept of time seems to elude SE fanboys like you, happily sitting on their hands waiting a whole year for a fail game to improve.

I thought ad hominems like this only happened in ATI vs. Nvidia debates.

But sadly, no. You're very far off the mark. I have never spent a single cent on Square Enix games in my lifetime. On the other hand, I was a latecomer to the PS scene, subscribing to PSOBB after beta until Sega apparently switched to an ISP so awful that it took 40 minutes to log in and couldn't maintain a stable connection for more than 10 minutes. Subsequently, I subscribed to PSU EN and right now, PSU JP.

As a gamer, I love the PS series for its groundbreaking and innovative gameplay. However, I can also make a distinction between developer and publisher. Many times, good developers get paired with bad publishers who run a perfectly good game into the ground, and I scratch my head and wonder why they are so willing to roast the proverbial golden goose.

On the other hand, bad developers do get paired with publishers that are willing to throw piles of money at them as well. So as a communications major, I am more intrigued by SqEnix rather than Sega. They made a steaming pile of crap, but whether or not they turn that crap into gold and sell it with good PR will make good material for a research paper.

If Sega can ever make PS a big name in the West, my attention might turn to them instead. At its heart, the Phantasy Star series is very Japanese. It's easy to see it taking off in Taiwan, China, Korea, possibly Southeast Asia, but not so much in Western countries, so if Sega can make that happen, that's also research paper material right there.

That said, I did fully intend to troll with the tone in my initial post. However, I was planning to troll Keilyn because we troll each other all the time for the lulz. I didn't expect to have someone else actually get trolled instead. Now that I know where you're coming from though, I have to say: please direct all further flames, ad hominems, veiled insults, expressions of frustration etc to my PM inbox. I don't wish to derail this thread with my gaming preferences, thanks.

FOnewearl-Lina
Oct 25, 2011, 08:58 AM
I was planning to troll Keilyn because we troll each other all the time for the lulz.
I'm sorry, you forgot to spam ^_^ throughout your posts ^^;

Selphea
Oct 25, 2011, 09:18 AM
I'm sorry, you forgot to spam ^_^ throughout your posts ^^;

=(

My trademark is :O

chaos-shadow
Oct 25, 2011, 10:21 AM
Do people really think that Japan purposefully makes it superior to the US? That's an awfully dumb view imo, that people think it's some kind of hate reason.

Japan has the game on the PC. We have it on the XBOX.
SEGA got behind in updating as fast as Japan - which is bound to happen because for the US they have to take the extra measures of translating. There is all kinds of communication that probably took time between SOA and SOJ.

And of course, the fact we can't update our content nor use the GC system Japan has.

It's really pretty obvious, I don't quite understand while people think otherwise?

ZER0 DX
Oct 25, 2011, 11:52 AM
Do people really think that Japan purposefully makes it superior to the US? That's an awfully dumb view imo, that people think it's some kind of hate reason.

Japan has the game on the PC. We have it on the XBOX.
SEGA got behind in updating as fast as Japan - which is bound to happen because for the US they have to take the extra measures of translating. There is all kinds of communication that probably took time between SOA and SOJ.

And of course, the fact we can't update our content nor use the GC system Japan has.

It's really pretty obvious, I don't quite understand while people think otherwise?

I'm sorry but translating doesn't take two years to do.

When the game came out and the local servers were only a month behind, it was understandable. Two years is ridiculous. Also this major content delay stuff only started happening when the PS series split off from being global with Japan with the advent of PSOX and PSOBB.

EvilMag
Oct 25, 2011, 01:56 PM
Really hoping PSO2 is global.

Keilyn
Oct 25, 2011, 09:50 PM
Oh :'(

Hi Lina, Hi Selphia.

@Lina, although we don't talk much anymore on messengers I did enjoy our chats.

@both of you:

The two of you sound like brother and sister...or more importantly....Everytime I have an Argument with a subcommander in an operation. I get to select who is assigned to me and the headaches are always there, yet prevent me from making petty choices.

So here is my take on the argument w/ love to the both of you, since you sound like my subcommanders.

1) Games are developed and released. There is too much emphasis, not just in Japan but throughout the world for a game to be hyped up prior to release. So companies care more about rushing a title out of the door, than the overall quality of the title.

2) In programming and marketing, the first party company is always responsible for including how to expand the game and the marketing to flow with it.

3) Companies don't listen to the "Baka Gaijin" or to their own population. They listen to their shareholders and actually make adjustments to compete. Most people don't know how to program a game or squat about game-balance. You think listening to the majority of the fans who represent a bias towards a race, character or move would help a game? Remember the age group of most who play these games. Of course "money-talks" and Square-Enix and SEGA move where the money is...The only thing worse than money ALONE is "Money and Power" and that is what Shareholders have.

4) The damage has already been done and the direction and stance chosen by the two companies is already presence. The difference is that Square-Enix can afford to take a hit considering they have multiple markets. As far as RPGs and Action Oriented Games go, SEGA has Phantasy Star so they can't afford to take the kind of hits that SE can take.

5) Regardless the hits both companies make, fanboys on both ends will continue to love/hate them and buy their products. People have to learn that once they give their money away, their opinion is gone. A person who hasn't spent money on a product, since he or she retains more money has a higher voice to a company than an owner to a product. All a company cares about is making money so as long as people retain their own money, the company will cater to them.

The trick is to hold on your money long enough to force a group to change over time.

This IS the mentality and its why there are cash shops and games change to cater those who hold on to their money the longest and why now the quick win goes to the one who has the money since companies want money, rather than construct a game that rewards those who take the hard road.

Now the two of you can have fun trolling me together, and I can point to many directions at how people have gotten screwed over. I am sure the two of you are tired of dealing with some of those hard core games where you are punished for actually doing work when 10 years ago you were rewarded for doing work in games.

str898mustang
Oct 26, 2011, 12:43 AM
One server has updates every week/two weeks...one doesn't

One is in Japanese...One is in English

/Thread Closed

Keilyn
Oct 26, 2011, 01:14 AM
One server has updates every week/two weeks...one doesn't

One is in Japanese...One is in English

/Thread Closed

"Both were created by the same company, so why must one side be screwed over the other? In one side one doesn't need to pay to play (Japanese) because of Free-Course and gets updates every 2 weeks, but on the other one pays a subscription fee and updates come every blue moon"

So paying players actually pay more and get less, while freeloaders enjoy the benefits of updating.

That should actually tell you that both versions actually aren't worth playing and its best to find a game where you don't have to give up one version to get your fair share in the other.

Then again, its just Japanese being the way they are....

FOnewearl-Lina
Oct 26, 2011, 03:01 AM
That should actually tell you that both versions actually aren't worth playing and its best to find a game where you don't have to give up one version to get your fair share in the other.
Going by that logic then no MMO is worth playing, since the home version is almost always the most up to date, except other companies are smart enough to IP block so that outsiders don't know what they're missing out on. XIV has global servers but that's not worth playing either.

EvilMag
Oct 26, 2011, 05:06 PM
What if you don't have a computer that can run PSU and yet you have a 360? Are you guys gonna go off saying "HURR U MIGHT WELL NOT EVEN PLAY PSU"

ZER0 DX
Oct 26, 2011, 09:06 PM
What if you don't have a computer that can run PSU and yet you have a 360? Are you guys gonna go off saying "HURR U MIGHT WELL NOT EVEN PLAY PSU"

I'm sorry but even my cheap 7 year old laptop can play PSU. That's not really a good excuse.

Keilyn
Oct 26, 2011, 10:20 PM
Going by that logic then no MMO is worth playing, since the home version is almost always the most up to date, except other companies are smart enough to IP block so that outsiders don't know what they're missing out on. XIV has global servers but that's not worth playing either.

Maybe so Lina, but do you "honestly" believe that because Sega says "psu is an MMORPG" that PSU is an MMORPG? If you do, then its like me giving a Crime Drama to watch and telling you "This is a romantic comedy."

MMORPGs = group oriented games where by mid-game to end-game you can't really solo anything (unless you have equipment to solo one field or one monster) and they tend to have persistent servers and not deal with lobbies.

Also, there is a difference between Japanese and other companies.

Japanese companies tend to give all the updates possibly to their version and exclude all others. They deliver some product and don't measure up. This is why Japanese MMORPGs and MMOs have very low populations.

Other nations may start with a game that has more updates, but those updates come to the different versions...and they don't pull out the crap that goes on like with SEGA and PSU where you literally have all the reskins and all the BS occuring on the 360 side of things along with the mass exploitation in the original version.

Japanese are the Xenophobes. Americans and Europeans are the ones willing to play in Japanese games and even follow the rules within the Japanese Community of Games, but when Japanese enter American Games, the very first thing they do after losing and getting their ass kicked is cry bloody murder and do all possible to launch servers where non-Japanese do not exist.

You should read what happened when Guild Wars first went to Japan. That is a story of Japanese Racism at its finest.

So sure, its true Americans and Europeans have their weaknesses and some twisted ways...but they are far more tolerable. When I ran an RYL server, koreans lost their server and tried to launch a private server. What did they do? They came to my server and acted like they owned the place......trying to treat people like they do while playing games in Korea. However, they launched their own server and when American Teams wanted to go and kick their ass...they IP blocked Americans...

....So we IP-Blocked everyone there.

I learned from many years of gaming that when Chinese, Koreans and Japanese play foreign games alone....they can act nice and decent, but as soon as they group together...they do not like to follow rules. They act like they own the place and they have no respect for any authority that is not of the same skin and ethnicity as them.

That kind of reasoning...
....and that kind of attitude.

That is the reason why Japanese games have low numbers and if more competition went to consoles as many MMOs exist for the PC as they are the genre that has the most number of games in it for the PC...

If more competition went to the consoles, Japanese numbers would be a lot lower as if they aren't dismal now.

Now Square-Enix still has a chance to pick up the pieces for FF14 but there are some MMOs actually worth your time, though there are many (like you said) not worth playing.

However, don't put PSO, PSU, Dragon Nest or Guild Wars in the category of MMO. Four - Eight players in a party when ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME IN A FIELD and not standing around spamming crap in a Lobby that is just a gateway to the game itself DOES NOT EQUAL MMO. To believe otherwise is to attest that waiting in the Browser Lobby of a shooter and entering a shooter server through the browser that has 32 - 128 players equals a larger MMO as a collective than an RPG.

XbikXBd
Oct 26, 2011, 10:57 PM
*Cough* i play both servers and im fine with both im just here to have fun and play a game with friends.....*cough*

Mike
Oct 26, 2011, 11:21 PM
Do people really think that Japan purposefully makes it superior to the US?
Some people do. I'd take a lot of the stuff said in this thread with about three pounds of salt though.

EvilMag
Oct 26, 2011, 11:23 PM
I'm sorry but even my cheap 7 year old laptop can play PSU. That's not really a good excuse.

But how well did it run? I'm gonna assume not really great.

My computer can run PSU but barely. What's interesting is that when I disabled Game Guard, all the slowdown issues I had were gone. Now this may be because I was offline on the US client but can't really tell if I'll get the same results online since there is no way to disable Game Guard while going online on the JP Servers.

Sometimes I wish there was a way to disable it on JP Online. I would play PSU JP in a heartbeat.

FOnewearl-Lina
Oct 26, 2011, 11:36 PM
Four - Eight players in a party when ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME IN A FIELD and not standing around spamming crap in a Lobby that is just a gateway to the game itself DOES NOT EQUAL MMO.
Huh, by your definition not even XIV is an MMO (eight players max, endgame is instanced).

And are you admitting to wasting 'many years of gaming' playing games that aren't even worth playing?

Keilyn
Oct 27, 2011, 07:57 PM
...and so it is.

There are games I've wasted my time in, sure. You grow up and look back and ask "what was it all for?" but I didn't play MMORPGs with the intention to "be the best" or "win" against everyone. I enjoyed getting to know people from other nations and having conversations and through these games in other non-American servers for years I had met and befriended people from the majority of nations and through them I learned a lot about foreign culture, the way they live and the kind of life they lead.

I listened to a lot of people tell me their problems and it was interesting how regardless language, geographic location or even attitude there are problems we all have in common we can chat about.

Those are the moments I enjoyed most in online gaming beyond all the massive battles. By Massive I mean anywhere from 40 - 200+ players on the field actually fighting simultaneously. Americans aren't koreans. We don't make a million MMORPGs and Action RPGs, but the games Americans make are the ones the world are trying to beat.

Every major MMORPG released has WoW elements within these days. Guild Wars is the CORPG standard and its PvP is being replicated in some games. Many WoW clones exist and as much as Blizzard pisses me off, they know how to maintain a game and advertise a game, unlike Japanese companies. Even Dragon Nest PvP is derived from WoW/GW and shooter elements and its refreshing...and that's a Korean Game!

I loved being able to play with groups and teams in shooters and MMORPGs/aRPGs and forming my own teams, guilds, clans....and sharing in all the dynamics, but I loved it when people had conversations in-game...

...the last conversation I had in-game actually was rare because both teams took part of it. We were talking about modifications and then two players spoke about their fear of not finding love, and it became a conversation about the nations that have a higher death rate than birth rate. It was an intriguing conversation that lasted till around 2 AM one night....

I enjoy reading and talking with people from other nations. Sure, I may have been born in the US, but Im well traveled. Games are a nice way to not just meet some people but also do something together in entertainment.

Remember, we met through PSU and believe it or not, I enjoyed all the chats with you. Sure we had our arguments, but I rather argue with those capable of arguing than talking straight at a wall.

...so its not all bad. There are people I met many years ago in gaming who are still friends, and most of all...My girlfriend was one who I met over the internet through the CCnetworks (CollegeClub) in around the year 2000, and after dating in the real world for six years, we thought about marriage.

...So its not so bad. Internet can be good as LONG as you don't let it consume you or let yourself fall addiction to being in one place for too long of a time. My deal in these forums or online is that I follow a heavy trail of tough-love, but I show tough love to those I really care about. I try to help out and its still a hobby to write server and system documentation for kids and teenagers to set up computers and run their gaming servers to help their communities.

~Keilyn

Selphea
Oct 27, 2011, 08:42 PM
the games Americans make are the ones the world are trying to beat.

Before WoW, there was Ragnarok Online.

ZER0 DX
Oct 27, 2011, 10:27 PM
But how well did it run? I'm gonna assume not really great.

My computer can run PSU but barely. What's interesting is that when I disabled Game Guard, all the slowdown issues I had were gone. Now this may be because I was offline on the US client but can't really tell if I'll get the same results online since there is no way to disable Game Guard while going online on the JP Servers.

Sometimes I wish there was a way to disable it on JP Online. I would play PSU JP in a heartbeat.

Ran it well enough.

Lowest settings and frame skip 1, but it still runs it. Keep in mind it's 7 years old and was not manufactured to play games at all.

My PC on the other hand maxes out the game and then some with Birichan's AA tool, and the video card is only a GTX 470. Anything built in the last 4-5 years should be able to run PSU perfectly fine. I don't understand why it's so hard for some people to upgrade a PC.

EvilMag
Oct 27, 2011, 11:07 PM
I'd upgrade if I could find a job. Not so easy. Dx

FOnewearl-Lina
Oct 28, 2011, 12:53 AM
I'd upgrade if I could find a job. Not so easy. Dx
Blame it on the rich people! Occupy Wall Street! Occupy Guardian's HQ! Occupy Everything!

Also, lol Korea (and Chosun Ninja)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaOCQ9AQyP0

blazingsonic
Oct 28, 2011, 11:25 AM
Some people do. I'd take a lot of the stuff said in this thread with about three pounds of salt though.

Yeah same here, I read stuff on the Monster Hunter series on PSP and heard that the reason some of the later gamers weren't localized is Sony's fault, might be the same with PSPi.

But I have said in other threads that there are other games that do just as well as the current Phantasy Star Series, want to make a female character with huge boobs? Saints Row the Third has that. Like to make a character and go hacking away at things there's Skyrim plus it has more freedom than the Phantasy Star series Sega really should learn from these games.

blazingsonic
Oct 28, 2011, 11:27 AM
Ran it well enough.

Lowest settings and frame skip 1, but it still runs it. Keep in mind it's 7 years old and was not manufactured to play games at all.

My PC on the other hand maxes out the game and then some with Birichan's AA tool, and the video card is only a GTX 470. Anything built in the last 4-5 years should be able to run PSU perfectly fine. I don't understand why it's so hard for some people to upgrade a PC.

I'm gonna get a mid end PC on a sales price and upgrade that instead of trying to build on from scratch.