PDA

View Full Version : Game GTA V announced!

Nitro Vordex
Oct 25, 2011, 11:30 AM
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/25/grand-theft-auto-v-trailer-incoming-also-gta-v-is-a-thing-now/

Pretty much nothing detailed on the game, other than we know it exists. Also, I noticed that it's in a dollar kind of texture, wondering if it will have to do with a richer person this time.

BIG OLAF
Oct 25, 2011, 01:22 PM
This might be the first GTA game I partake it. I was going to get IV, But other games took priority over it, and by the time I could have gotten it, I was over it.

I'll be looking to get V, though. Hopefully I get around to it this time.

Split
Oct 25, 2011, 02:36 PM
There's going to be a trailer next Wednesday if I heard correctly?

Outrider
Oct 25, 2011, 04:52 PM
Rumors suggest it's going to take place in Los Santos from San Andreas (essentially Los Angeles) and have multiple player characters:

http://kotaku.com/5853279/grand-theft-auto-v-will-be-set-in-los-angeles-may-star-multiple-characters

NoiseHERO
Oct 25, 2011, 05:02 PM
Wow I just got GTA IV

Also I was looking for this game's existence out of curiosity a couple weeks ago.

Hope they take reference from the movie drive, then add more 80's throwback music.

Sinue_v2
Oct 25, 2011, 05:28 PM
Rumors suggest it's going to take place in Los Santos from San Andreas (essentially Los Angeles)

Shame. I would have liked to see what they could have done with a fictionalized Chicago setting. Especially since they have their own unique and independent mafia element tracing it's roots back to the iconic Al Capone which has a lot of alliances and conflicts with other mafia outfits, such as the five families that Liberty City's mafia is based on - not to mention the Outlaws, a motorcycle gang that's in competition with the Hell's Angels. Not to mention we have that lovely breed of midwestern ignorance and hate based violent groups with some pretty active chapters in the area, such as the KKK and Neo-Nazis. I don't remember them having any kind of real presence in a GTA game before. Tom Metzger even has an underground radio program called the Insurgency they could spoof.

That, and I'd like to see a sandbox game based around somewhere close to where I live and that I'm already familiar with. The closest anyone's gotten so far is Splinter Cell: Essentials, which isn't a sandbox game, but does have a level that takes place in Warsaw, Indiana.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0ctrB_Jptk

It's a pretty small town, so I probably went to high school with some of those poor fucks he's gunning down.

NoiseHERO
Oct 25, 2011, 05:51 PM
Shame, I would have liked to see what they could have done with a fictionalized Chicago setting. Especially since they have their own unique and independent mafia element tracing it's roots back to the iconic Al Capone. That, and I'd like to see a sandbox game based around somewhere close to where I live and that I'm already familiar with.

The closest anyone's gotten so far is Splinter Cell: Essentials, which isn't a sandbox game, but does have a level that takes place in Warsaw, Indiana.

Splinter Cell Essentials Walkthrough - Steel Factory, Warsaw, Indiana, U.S.A (1/2) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0ctrB_Jptk)

It's a pretty small town, so I probably went to high school with some of those poor fucks he's gunning down.

This is true I wouldn't complain with a chicago, you'd think dark knight, a couple scenes from spiderman 2 and obama would've given that city more popularity.

Either way since it's going back to california, I hope they make the San Francisco area a little more interesting. It felt kind of bland and moody in SA. Of course I'm sure a slightly more modern San Fierro would be interesting as well.

I would say they should add an MP3 player or something but that'd kind of spoil a player's favorite songs in the game... Dunno if GTA4 had one, didn't get that far.

Ark22
Oct 25, 2011, 07:50 PM
I always knew GTA5 existed. It would have been dumb to not continue. but besides the rhetorical response, CAN'T WAIT!

NoiseHERO
Oct 25, 2011, 07:57 PM
I guess wondering if a next GTA will exist is like wondering if a nintendo will make a new mario...

Retehi
Oct 25, 2011, 09:12 PM
Awww yeah, back to Los Santos, I'm loving the very possibility of that.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Oct 25, 2011, 09:19 PM
Hope they take reference from the movie drive, then add more 80's throwback music.
They don't have to reference any of those, in your words: Hipster movies.

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/franchises/wiki/grandtheftauto.ign.com/default/uploads/1/15/ViceCitySoundtrack.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto:_Vice_City_Official_Soundtrack_Bo x_Set (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto:_Vice_City_Official_Soundtrack_Bo x_Set)

RLbitClassica
Oct 25, 2011, 09:32 PM
I absolutely love playing GTA 4 and GTA chinatown wars even up to this very day. This is one of the few franchises that will genuinely distract me from my phantasy star. ^^

Mike
Oct 26, 2011, 12:21 AM
Not to mention we have that lovely breed of midwestern ignorance and hate based violent groups with some pretty active chapters in the area, such as the KKK and Neo-Nazis. I don't remember them having any kind of real presence in a GTA game before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhozx819izU

They could do this in GTA!

joefro
Oct 26, 2011, 01:32 AM
I love the GTA series but IV was my least favorite. I hope they don't try and go the serious route again. I preferred the humor/fun of GTA III.

RLbitClassica
Oct 26, 2011, 02:46 AM
You kiddin me? GTA 4 was the best so far!! To each their own i suppose

Powder Keg
Oct 26, 2011, 02:00 PM
IV was too realistic and boring for me. I had quite a bit of fun doing ridiculous things in multiplayer, but then I played Saints Row 2.

I'm hoping it has more of a vice city twist to it (not as much realism and more high flying with cars) but sadly I doubt it....they will make this as realistic and boring as possible.

NoiseHERO
Oct 26, 2011, 02:34 PM
I'm actually enjoying 4, I think the extra realistic things set it apart from the other GTA's.

Though it does feel less adventurous. I find the story and characters to be likable though. I just hate that annoying "LET'S HANG OUT OR YOU LOSE BUDDY POINTS, EVEN THOUGH YOU'RE ABOUT TO DO A MISSION FOR ME" calls.

Split
Oct 26, 2011, 06:17 PM
Ummm...GTAIV was boring? Are you guys serious?

Outrider
Oct 26, 2011, 06:40 PM
Ummm...GTAIV was boring? Are you guys serious?

I can only vouch for the first couple of hours, but yeah, I found it pretty boring.

I think I prefer the more arcade-y gameplay of III/Vice City/San Andreas to the somewhat simulation-y gameplay of IV.

I used to love just tooling around in cars and causing trouble in the older games, but I jump in IV and the entire time I'm just looking for something interesting to do.

Also, I have it on PC and it runs really crappy (unlike any of my other modern games), but I've been told that the PC port was pretty crappy to begin with. So maybe the chunkiness of the PC version is what's getting me.

NoiseHERO
Oct 26, 2011, 07:09 PM
I dunno... I actually like just doing the missions. It feels more movie like. Sure they're not out of control and all over like san andreas, and so far they're really easy and simple but the story actually makes me care most of the time, compared to the past where it's all "Augh another longass race and I can't blow up the other cars to make it easier."

What else DID piss me off is that they made the driving harder so that took a while to get used to, and when you're chasing someone desperately against their rubber banding AI it makes things worse... But that's it so far-OH WAIT and theres less cheat codes...

So instead of basically becoming god... You're just some dude with a lot of guns...

Outrider
Oct 26, 2011, 09:15 PM
I dunno... I actually like just doing the missions. It feels more movie like. Sure they're not out of control and all over like san andreas, and so far they're really easy and simple but the story actually makes me care most of the time, compared to the past where it's all "Augh another longass race and I can't blow up the other cars to make it easier."

What else DID piss me off is that they made the driving harder so that took a while to get used to, and when you're chasing someone desperately against their rubber banding AI it makes things worse... But that's it so far-OH WAIT and theres less cheat codes...

So instead of basically becoming god... You're just some dude with a lot of guns...

Eh, again - I wasn't crazy about it. I imagine the story gets better later on, but I couldn't get myself interested in doing the same "do small jobs to introduce you to the world" song and dance I've done in numerous other GTA games. It's probably just GTA burnout, in all honesty.

yoshiblue
Oct 27, 2011, 12:01 PM
The driving bugged me. Close to real but not Gran Turismo real.

Delete
Oct 27, 2011, 12:09 PM
GTA is one of my top favorite game series. I was wondering when they would announce 5, and I'm happy they did. Hoping wherever the game takes place, it's bigger than GTA 4. GTA 4 was big, but San andreas was way bigger obviously.

Split
Nov 2, 2011, 11:45 AM
(Mostly) gameplay trailer; I'd call this bump-worthy

Looks fantastic.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/11/02/grand-theft-auto-5-debut-trailer.aspx

Zyrusticae
Nov 2, 2011, 11:53 AM
Looking pretty good for a console-exclusive running on a 5-year-old engine. No, I don't mean that in any derogative manner.

I do like the choice in setting. I wonder if we'll get to see a modern-day Vice City...

Retehi
Nov 2, 2011, 06:05 PM
I want to shed tears of joy!

San Andreas was, well is like one of my top favorite games, and seeing Los Santos in a modern day makeover like this is like, "HOLY SHIT DUDE!!!"

I rarely get excited over video games much anymore, but this one I'm keeping an eye on.

Rashiid
Nov 2, 2011, 06:15 PM
I'll have to see more gameplay of it.

As of now, Saints Row made me sell any GTA I owned (well, that I could sell at least. No one wants an original Xbox game). I didn't really like IV as much as I did previous ones like Vice City.

NoiseHERO
Nov 3, 2011, 04:46 PM
I was iffy at first about it being set in cali, but seeing the trailer today it seems more interesting of a setting than I thought.

Not that there's a huge problem with sanandreas, just that I played the fuck out of it (even though I didn't beat it)

From the cutscenes it looks like an improvement over GTA][\v/ by that I mean it seems like they've gotten more into the crazy antics with the crimes and missions instead of just "drive here and shoot, then drive home"

Sinue_v2
Nov 3, 2011, 05:41 PM
Hmm... nice graphics.

I'm kind of worried about how the main protagonist will turn out though, and I don't know why. I didn't like the guy from GTAIII, and as a result, I found it hard to get into the game. Vice City, however, was a complete 180 in part because I really enjoyed the character of Tommy Vercetti. I never played San Andreas, but going into GTA IV I had the same apprehension about it's protagonist not living up to Tommy's role and the story backsliding into GTA III's aimlessness. Where Nico didn't have Tommy's charm and charisma, he was a character I could sympathize and connect with on a deeper level. (a stranger in a strange land, trying to do the right thing but always getting pulled back into a bad situation)

I don't really have any reason to be concerned given Rockstar's recent track record, but I still really want to enjoy the game beyond the nihilistic chaos, so I can't help it.

yoshiblue
Nov 3, 2011, 05:48 PM
Dood from GTA SA came back after his mother died and just begins working with his friends and the cops in a bad way I guess.

NoiseHERO
Nov 3, 2011, 06:04 PM
Yeah I can definitely say that Rockstar can write some really interesting and likable characters.

Someone that's never played the games would probably just see them all as a multiracial group of psychopathic criminal anti-heros.

But they're actually a multiracial group of psychopathic criminal anti-heros that you can connect with and actually care about their story.

Outrider
Nov 4, 2011, 08:42 AM
Hmm... nice graphics.

I'm kind of worried about how the main protagonist will turn out though, and I don't know why. I didn't like the guy from GTAIII, and as a result, I found it hard to get into the game.

In all fairness, the main character from GTA III isn't really much of a character. The only thing we know about him is that his girlfriend betrays him and that he used to live in San Andreas, and that's just player history, not character development. At best he's just a player stand-in.

Delete
Nov 4, 2011, 03:09 PM
I never played San Andreas

:o Dood, never played San Andreas? Go get that shit for PC or somethin, that game was freakin awesome.