PDA

View Full Version : 10/27 Blog update

Mike
Oct 27, 2011, 01:53 AM
The official blog (http://ameblo.jp/sega-psblog/entry-11060502509.html) was updated today. The bit of the blog that deals with PSO2 deals with why the new Phantasy Star game is called PSO2 and has some information about the camp ships.

According to the blog, PSO2 is actually the third game to have be up for the PSO2 name. Originally, Episode 1 & 2 was going to be called PSO2 but Sakai protested because it EP1&2 more update than it was sequel. PSU was the next title to be up for the PSO2 moniker but was dropped to put an emphasis on it being an RPG where you could enjoy the story. Finally, this most recent Phantasy Star game gets the title of PSO2 because is one of the PSO 10th Anniversary products, a completely new game, online only, and because it has the same idea of spreading online RPGs to people that the original PSO did. While plugging a two on to the end of the title means sequel to most people and the changes from the original title can bring about negative reactions, the fact that Phantasy Star Online was the first online game for so many people was the largest reason for calling the game PSO2.

And while Ragol in PSO is an attractive world, the producers didn't want to make a game where you had to know about it. The game system also needed to be updated for today's world so PSO2 is not a sequel but rather the legitimate successor to PSO. The blog says that everyone is trying their best to make sure the game doesn't spill mud on the name of PSO.

Now for the Camp Ship.

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1568&pictureid=23728

The camp ship is actually a pretty big ship. Not only is it capable of atmospheric flight but warp too. There is also a detachable fighter connected to the bottom of the camp ship. I'd guess that would be the lighter colored area on this design sketch but I'm not sure.

RemiusTA
Oct 27, 2011, 03:13 AM
That thing can fly in the atmosphere? God damn.

Good stuff, Mike. As always.

ShadowDragon28
Oct 27, 2011, 05:17 AM
hel ya. awesome stuff

Jonth
Oct 27, 2011, 08:01 AM
So... I guess the PSO fanboy argument of "this has to be like PSO because of the 2" is shot out of the water. I mean, it isn't like it changes anything in the end, because ultimately they can make PSO2 worlds apart from PSO and still call it a sequel. At least now some of the confusion should be cleared up.

Cayenne
Oct 27, 2011, 08:03 AM
While plugging a two on to the end of the title means sequel to most people and the changes from the original title can bring about negative reactions...

The game system also needed to be updated for today's world so PSO2 is not a sequel but rather the legitimate successor to PSO.

After reading this, every thought I had about how PSO2 should be similar to PSO has been thrown out the window. That's how I should of been thinking from the start but, and I'll admit it, seeing the 2 at the end made me think differently.

Also glad to read they don't want to ruin the PSO name, I got higher hopes for this game now.

Edit: lol @ Jonth's post, I can see less arguing and more positive feedback will be happening on this board from now on.

NoiseHERO
Oct 27, 2011, 08:21 AM
I wish I were one of those I told you so people on the titl-OH WAIT I KINDA AM!

HAH, TOLD YA NOOBS!

So I guess the camp ships really will be our only lobbies? @_@ I guess I can deal with it, since we have those free missions with infinite monsters and 12 man parties.

Mike
Oct 27, 2011, 08:25 AM
So I guess the camp ships really will be our only lobbies? @_@ I guess I can deal with it, since we have those free missions with infinite monsters and 12 man parties.
No, you just don't have to go back to the main lobby after each mission finishes. It may be the lobby you end up spending the most time in though.

Blueblur
Oct 27, 2011, 08:32 AM
No, you just don't have to go back to the main lobby after each mission finishes. It may be the lobby you end up spending the most time in though.

The list of changes they detailed a while back make it seem like it will have the functionality of the rest of the lobbies and shops, right? I hope they don't overdo it though. It would defeat the purpose of the other lobby areas and shops.

Dinosaur
Oct 27, 2011, 10:33 AM
5 stars as usual

Norco
Oct 27, 2011, 12:15 PM
This posts make me feel like a happy rappy ^_^

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Oct 27, 2011, 12:34 PM
online only

damnit, that's annoying guess I won't be getting this after all :(

Dinosaur
Oct 27, 2011, 12:48 PM
damnit, that's annoying guess I won't be getting this after all :(

You probably shouldn't get a game with the word "online" in it if you don't plan to play online anyways...

yoshiblue
Oct 27, 2011, 12:54 PM
Sins of a Solar Empire kinda suffered from that. Alot of people prefer to play the AI rather then play against other people.

Macman
Oct 27, 2011, 02:17 PM
Every time I see that star I think of No More Heroes.