PDA

View Full Version : PC platforms

Varon
Oct 29, 2011, 03:37 AM
Hopefully when this comes out Sega wont try to get its own PC platform for download games up like EA did
However I wouldn't mind seeing this game come to steam as Sega already has a foothold there and its one of the larger PC gaming platforms currently.
It would even advertise the game a bit more and bring in more potential players at later dates in case they create DLC and offer deals on the game in the future.
Chances are slim tho personally I believe the Monster Hunter Frontier game would've hit big overseas if it did something similar as well but sadly that game was never localized outside of Asian countries.
Let me know what you think.

kyuuketsuki
Oct 29, 2011, 03:45 AM
EA's Origin blows and is one of the major reasons I'm holding out on purchasing the game despite the fact that it looks pretty and has had a very positive reception (asides from Origin and the numerous game-stopping bugs, driver issues, etc.).

I'm fairly certain SEGA has no plans to do their own distribution service to compete with Steam. Especially given that SEGA has been adding a LOT of content to Steam lately.

On the one hand, it'll be cool if PSO2 gets put on Steam for the extra exposure that will get it. However, on the other, I'd be happier not having to go through Steam to play PSO2. Steam is okay, but it doesn't do anything compelling for me that makes me want to have to go through it to play my games.

Selphea
Oct 29, 2011, 03:45 AM
Not too farfetched actually, Sega uses Steam for a bunch of titles already: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_4_4__12&term=sega

Macman
Oct 29, 2011, 05:39 AM
I would like it on Steam, just because I'm a fullscreen whore and I love dat delicious overlay. Even if it's not, though I could probably just add it to steam externally for the same effect; worked on PSOBB.

Garnet_Moon
Oct 29, 2011, 08:50 AM
I hope it goes natively to Steam simply because it would make it more accessible, and potentially baby booming when they have their steam sales.

If it has it's own client, that's fine too. I can add it to Steam anyway... I just hope their billing isn't finicky like Final Fantasy XI is/was. Dunno if they fixed it, but half their subs cancelled because their new billing method was denying certain cards. It accepted 100% before then. Go fig.

Ezodagrom
Oct 29, 2011, 09:19 AM
I really doubt it'll use Steam features, especially since the alpha already had its own client and update system.

But, there are SEGA games that are starting to use Steamworks, Shogun 2 Total War, Football Manager 2012, and even Sonic Generations use Steamworks features, and looks like the Sonic CD re-release/remake will also use these features.

Recon Tactical
Oct 29, 2011, 10:13 AM
When I read "PC platform", I instantly thought of a SEGA-made PC. Wouldn't that be cool?

yoshiblue
Oct 29, 2011, 10:45 AM
I prefer a Dreamcast 2

RemiusTA
Oct 29, 2011, 01:09 PM
When I read "PC platform", I instantly thought of a SEGA-made PC. Wouldn't that be cool?

Heh, no

Kent
Oct 30, 2011, 04:44 PM
Steam is the way to go, really. The only real problem I have with Steam is the terrible voice support - because the guys at Valve apparently don't understand the concept of having voice chat going through a separate audio device from game audio.

And in all likelihood, that won't even be relevant here.

Vashyron
Oct 30, 2011, 06:39 PM
I would like it on Steam, just because I'm a fullscreen whore and I love dat delicious overlay. Even if it's not, though I could probably just add it to steam externally for the same effect; worked on PSOBB.

Gameguard disagrees. :| (Dunno about older versions)

It has a fit if you try to add Steam Overlay to a game.

lostinseganet
Oct 30, 2011, 07:10 PM
ringedge, and ringwide. google them

Varon
Oct 30, 2011, 08:30 PM
Well steam is my preferred choice if it was to come to a PC platform
but I do agree that both gameguard and voicechat issues would need to be looked at early on into the development.

Macman
Oct 30, 2011, 11:26 PM
Gameguard disagrees. :| (Dunno about older versions)

It has a fit if you try to add Steam Overlay to a game.I suppose that could be true. I never tried it with the Gameguard client.

Xenobia
Oct 31, 2011, 02:59 AM
I prefer a Dreamcast 2
Guess you mean the Naomi Genesis which shall contain a Power VR Type Behemoth, however, as far as i know its belong to heaven only, not earth. According to some myths, heaven itself deemed the earthlings unworthy to own that kind of piece.

sugarFO
Oct 31, 2011, 05:20 PM
Why does it need a pc platform?

Xenobia
Nov 1, 2011, 06:44 AM
Because the console platforms are not open source. They are massively restricted and are totaly belong to that company who did create that system. Now on such a proprietary system you have to get a license in order to be able to release what else. However, most critical is that they might be able to dictate the kind of executions on it, which can affect almost any stuff linked to it, payment options, servers and much more.

Now, for some developer its rather tiring if they are trying to make a multishaped account system which is close to impossible on a console, with all of its restrictions. Now the PC is the only fully open source system and where the developer could have unlimited freedom into theyr way of executions. A PC is in disadvantage vs. consoles when it comes to usual offline games due to many factors i dont like to writte down yet. However, for online games, a PC is the best system due its unlimited possibilitys and without any artificially created restrictions. The only true issue is to protect the password and protecting account from crackers. That could be done using a authenticator.

Should we have a PSO2 on consoles, someday, it may be executed on Nintendo because Nintendo is still the company with the smallest amount of restrictions, it did aswell work pretty well on Gamecube. So i think, if Sega gonna release on console, it might probably be the Wii U. But at that current time its just all very uncertain because PSO2 isnt even developed yet, its maybe at only 50% or even lesser of the final stage. So just keep patience, i know its hard but thats how the cookie crumbles. Ofc in term PSO would be held on a Sega system. then they would aswell enjoy close to unlimited freedom because Sega is the owner, so they can pretty much execute everything they want on such a system. In term there is a new Sega system, it would be no issue.

Mike
Nov 1, 2011, 06:50 AM
Because the console platforms are not open source.
I'd be a monkey's uncle if PSO2 was open source.

Xenobia
Nov 1, 2011, 07:46 AM
I am not talking about a software, i talk about a system. You can reveal every little detail of a PC system its open to everyone, so thats called "open source". Its aswell possible to make your own custom OS on it, no one can tell you not to do it. A PC is a open plattform open to anyone, no matter what they are trying to execute on it, its not restricted. However, if they are trying to protect theyr program, thats another story; most developers naturaly do that. However, a engine is usualy not owned by a developer, because its very expensive to create a own engine, so usualy they use a old and proven engine which is already available.

When you are trying to make a custom OS on the PS3, then you will have to move to the court and then you can pay millions in order to fight against Sony, and you will lose absolutly any rights and success. You dont even know how the system is working, its all hidden. Dont even bother with... thats what i call "closed source". Sony will give you a dev kit, and is able to dictate every single step of what you can or cannot execute. You have to follow theyr license agreement, thats it.

Macman
Nov 1, 2011, 08:05 AM
Nintendo? The least restrictive of online? Did I stumble into some bizzaro dimension?

Xenobia
Nov 1, 2011, 08:10 AM
Actually i am not quite sure how it currently is, because i hate the Wii. I am a core gamer and not a family gamer. However, the Wii U will surely be able to finally enable core gaming and be a fairly powerful console. The situation will change and with it probably aswell other stuff such as online possibility. I however, dont know how it will turn out, but i surely can look back at the old Gamecube age and it worked pretty well to play online and Sega was able to execute theyr own payment service... it was not that restrictive such as we had today on Xboxlive where MS is dictating almost everyone. Seriously, it cant be worse than what we had on XBL... especially in my country MS was dicating every little part of it and Sega totaly was losing control.

I for myself do not wish to have it on XBL again but i can only speak for myself so dont take it as something personal or ultimately truthful. And about Sony... well, i cant say that i think to well about.

Garnet_Moon
Nov 1, 2011, 08:32 AM
...are we talking about the same Nintendo who released a console with a big DLC-sized modem chunk you have to buy separately? The same modem that only 2, maybe 3 games used through the consoles lifespan?

Macman
Nov 1, 2011, 08:57 AM
I thought PSO was the only game that ever used it.
Oh and let's not forget Nintendo's "YOU CANT COMMUNICATE WITH ANYONE UNLESS YOU EXTERNALLY EXCHANGE FRIENDCODES" mentality.

Garnet_Moon
Nov 1, 2011, 09:03 AM
I thought PSO was the only game that ever used it.
Oh and let's not forget Nintendo's "YOU CANT COMMUNICATE WITH ANYONE UNLESS YOU EXTERNALLY EXCHANGE FRIENDCODES" mentality.
http://gamecube.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/content_gameslist.php

Not saying this list is complete, but yeah... seems about right. PSO was like the only game using it. Never even heard of the other one. The rest just used it for LAN hookups for more players.

Xenobia
Nov 2, 2011, 08:03 AM
The Gamecube at least had a broadband adapter which was fair priced. When we look back at the Dreamcast age, they didnt release a broadband adapter (at least not for EU nor US), not from the official side. Then there was some third party developer (i guess it was from Canada?) and that piece was extremely expensive, like 200 $. Many people still was getting it because the usual 56k speed was not only slower but aswell several times more expensive for going online with (kinda same situation such as we had today with mobile phone guess you call them "cellphone" in the USA). So for any hardcore player, it was worth those two houndred dollars. In Japan all i found for Dreamcast was a LAN adapter but not a broadband adapter. If there was one, it surely was extremely expensive, a freak product. I got me the LAN adapter only to find out that its impossible to go online with (on a PC that would work for online aswell, a LAN adapter on a PC is able to connect with anything at once). And then i had to pay surely several houndred bucks to much because i kinda didnt find a broadband adapter anymore. They very rarely was sold on Ebay, thats it. With that money i paid to much i could have gotten one of the strongest graphic cards, always have to watch the entire cost not only the cost of part A and B.

So, that situation has changed on Gamecube for sure. Besides, about "communication": I dont feel like MS or Sony are truly better than that, they surely might have a phone call with you but finally,.. do they act such as you desire? Finally, no matter what, a consumer is always at the mercy of the company you are demanding from it.

Kinda like XBL.. i paid surely like 8$ monthly fee more than i would have paid for the JP PC account. Now.. it looks like few? It isnt.. i paid for it like 4 years in a row, thats like 400$... which MS did get from me through using a bad payment method (i paid 18$ each month, it charged automatically without any option to execute it manually). With the money i paid to much i could have gotten 2 times a Windows 7 Ultimate OS! So i surely cant understand how they even can feel surprised when someone isnt happy with. Sure i can understand when people worried about support or what else, but the thing im worried the most is about losing the true support and losing control about equality. True support means... is the server running, is the game being updated? Is the payment good and fair for everyone, and is there many options or only credit card and auto charge on XBL? Such factors are critical to the consumer friendly environment.

Still, i find it truly great to get so many interesting input, keep it up. Thats the only way for a community to grow and to find productive solutions and understanding.

Mike
Nov 2, 2011, 09:02 AM
When we look back at the Dreamcast age, they didnt release a broadband adapter (at least not for EU nor US), not from the official side. Then there was some third party developer (i guess it was from Canada?) and that piece was extremely expensive, like 200 $. Many people still was getting it because the usual 56k speed was not only slower but aswell several times more expensive for going online with (kinda same situation such as we had today with mobile phone guess you call them "cellphone" in the USA). So for any hardcore player, it was worth those two houndred dollars. In Japan all i found for Dreamcast was a LAN adapter but not a broadband adapter. If there was one, it surely was extremely expensive, a freak product. I got me the LAN adapter only to find out that its impossible to go online with (on a PC that would work for online aswell, a LAN adapter on a PC is able to connect with anything at once).
You don't really know what you're talking about, do you. Try reading Wikipedia on the Dreamcast BBA ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamcast_Broadband_Adapter). You could also check out the box underneath the PSO VMU in this picture (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=982&pictureid=11159).

Xenobia
Nov 2, 2011, 09:50 AM
They sold for up to 200$ because of the extremely limited supply... in my country no one ever sold any of them. Thats all i can say regarding that matter. There is a broadband adapter AND a LAN adapter. All i got is the LAN adapter directly from Japan, there was no shop who ever sold any of them where i live. Altought i never ever was able to get a BBA because they was dirty expensive and then i kinda didnt want to bother with and i did wait for Gamecube version to arrive. Well thats the story.. so dont feel touched, i just tell how it was for my own experience, maybe you had it way easyer for whatever reason. None of the DC versions ever had a BBA natively integrated, it was available as a update only. The box is apparently a BB made in Japan, however, as i said, that stuff was way to short on supply and any of it was sold out very quick and the prices keep rising. The usual user only got it from Ebay, since in Japan they simply was out of stock.

Finally i can say, there might be a official one, but NOT in EU and the prices was insane, it very quick was reaching prices for which i could have gotten a entire Gamecube for including processors, drive and what else.

Ultimately there was so few pieces that even a third party manufacturer, which i believe was from Canada, produced some of them.. which was sold for 200$. Although i cant 100% say if that is true (i lack infos) but i know that they was going for prices like that! Several million DCs has been sold, from those devices only about every 20. was able to have a BB when we would try share all the BBs with all the DCs. It surely was another time age but at 2000 the "rich" nations already started to develop a BB connection which as a insane gain and much cheaper to maintain for the users.

Here for you to see the truth: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1311&_nkw=dreamcast+broadband+adapter&_sacat=See-All-Categories
BB adapters for DC which are going for up to 300$.. and it was same more than 5 years ago. Thats not a console.. adapter only. ;) There might be cheaper offers but be aware that i will have to pay for the delivery which can be between 20-30$ and at Ebay the risk of fraud is always given.

I truly love the DC and i consider it a legendary console on many aspects, however, that issue i am just talking about was the only thing i ever hated. Still,... we shouldnt forget that the DC was the first console which was fully online capable including a small browser, which will always stay a special history.

I may not be fully accurate but i know what i am talking about in general. i am the owner of a original HK (water) pipe cooled HK DC with a iron shaped air fan and it is modded with the best and most complex DC-chip ever created which ultimately booted even unbootable games, it is the piece... every fan would be dreaming of, thats why its called "Dreamcast" i believe. Only very few of that DC has ever been created and as good as none got that kind of modding. I sure value it the most because only a handful of that combination does exist, maybe 1000 worldwide. Almost any parts was Japan made and it works proper, even after 13 years. If im gonna sell it? Nope...no way.

Dinosaur
Nov 2, 2011, 12:34 PM
However, the Wii U will surely be able to finally enable core gaming and be a fairly powerful console

This game on the Wii-U would be perfect.

Wagglan for melee combos

Touch screen for 50 spells

Holdan up the controller w/ screen when you aim your Sniper Rifle with Ranger

RemiusTA
Nov 2, 2011, 01:35 PM
Should we have a PSO2 on consoles, someday, it may be executed on Nintendo because Nintendo is still the company with the smallest amount of restrictions
HAHAHA WHAT

yoshiblue
Nov 2, 2011, 02:59 PM
Calm yourselves my minions.

Randomness
Nov 2, 2011, 05:22 PM
This game on the Wii-U would be perfect.

Wagglan for melee combos

Touch screen for 50 spells

Holdan up the controller w/ screen when you aim your Sniper Rifle with Ranger

Controller as sniper scope? Oh hell yes. That's actually a good use for it.

Nintendo has one recent all-star success... and one that's quite similar to PSO... Monster Hunter Tri. It even skipped out on friend codes! Had proper chat! Etc. That said, Sony has the best history imo regarding online play. No friend codes, no fees. (Yeah, I know they got hacked, but I never saw a conclusive report on how, so I can't render judgement on that.)

yoshiblue
Nov 2, 2011, 05:25 PM
Your right! I haven't ever heard anyone complaining about Playstation's online.

RemiusTA
Nov 2, 2011, 06:14 PM
I know i sure havent

Sure, hackers tore it to pieces. But i got 2 free games off dat shyt

Not to mention, all the best games from PSX are on PSN for cheap, which beats emulator play x1000. I never got to play Xenogears, and i cant wait to download it soon.

Randomness
Nov 2, 2011, 10:53 PM
Your right! I haven't ever heard anyone complaining about Playstation's online.

Actually, besides them getting hacked, I haven't. (Okay, the ToS thing, but... people only complained about that because they put it in red. Otherwise, nobody would have paid any attention. Also, the real issue is the courts saying that shit is okay - companies will cover their asses legally in any way they can)

PSN>Live. Simply because they aren't charging for it (which is a ridiculous practice on Microsoft's part).

Dinosaur
Nov 2, 2011, 11:55 PM
I personally hate PSN. It's great that the service is free and all, but the connections are usually not that great. This is why when high level competitive players play online, its on 360.

If you're a casual, don't have strong video game sense/understanding or simply just don't care, then PSN is great. Why? Because lag is the #1 offender of online gaming.

RemiusTA
Nov 3, 2011, 12:57 AM
I personally hate PSN. It's great that the service is free and all, but the connections are usually not that great. This is why when high level competitive players play online, its on 360.

If you're a casual, don't have strong video game sense/understanding or simply just don't care, then PSN is great. Why? Because lag is the #1 offender of online gaming.

I play fighting games on PSN all the time, and there's no more latency problems than you'd have on XBL.

Honestly, XBL fanboys have been gassed up over this whole "we pay so we get real service" garbage. The special things you get really don't have much to do with the games themselves -- the Achievement system (and interface) from XBL is probably the best thing about it, and is probably most of what you're paying for. That, and some other random info you get if youre actually interested. Downloads are maybe faster, but the speeds are negligible because the download speeds are only minutes apart anyway. But in terms of the games THEMSELVES i can see NO real difference. At all. Not only between multiplatform games, but games that are exclusive as well. Like the Uncharted 3 Beta.

People bitch and moan about lag regardless. It's no better on 360 than it is on PS3.

And if you're REALLY competitive about the shit you play (especially fighting games), then you wouldn't be netplaying anyway. You'd play at actual locations where you're on LAN and there are no latency problems.

tl;dr; bullshit.

Edit: i played Blazblue on XBL before i played on PSN, and there is absolutely no difference connection wise. This is probably because the netcode for BB is gloriously superb for a fighting game, but it's mostly because there's no noticable difference between the actual games; I play more good connections than bad ones. But i'd have to say the XBL players are alot more frequently worse than the PSN ones. I dont know if it's because there are more scrubs there, or simply because of the 360's HORRID excuse for a Dpad on that controller.

Dinosaur
Nov 3, 2011, 01:17 AM
I play fighting games on PSN all the time, and there's no more latency problems than you'd have on XBL.

I have played on both for a great amount. From my experience, 360 has always had better connection.

And if you're REALLY competitive about the shit you play (especially fighting games), then you wouldn't be netplaying anyway. You'd play at actual locations where you're on LAN and there are no latency problems.

They do play at the arcade and as do I. However, you will find that they all also play online(A LOT at that). Only on Xbox.

Also note that I currently only own a PS3. I gave my 360 to my brother not too long ago. Playing MvC3 is usually a nightmare unless I get someone local. SSFIVAE is a little better, but can still be a headache. My experience on 360 for both of these games were faster times to pick up games as well as better players. I even feel exactly the same way for CoD:MW2. 360 certainly had more skilled players as well as less lag(lag in an FPS = big no no).

SSFIVAE and MW2 on PC on the other hand... consoles have no contest vs PC when it comes to latency!

Xenobia
Nov 3, 2011, 03:10 AM
http://videogamewriters.com/nintendo-no-third-party-restrictions-with-upcoming-3ds-eshop-9562
But please always see the whole material, not only its surface. If you overstep one single restrictions with Sony, you are going to the court, no exception. Sony probably even is owning the golden court ticked for loyal customers with 30% discount. And MS is already restricted down to the bones.

Square Enix had a fight with Sony because of theyr online payment which got restricted, and thats reason they didnt release one of theyr online games. They wanted to create a multi payment solution which is same for PC and PS3, which didnt get approved. Maybe the geeks didnt take note of that because of probably to much widsom. In such terms Nintendo is easyer to handle, it just need some skills in order to make them move toward your wishes.

I know i sure havent

Sure, hackers tore it to pieces. But i got 2 free games off dat shyt

Not to mention, all the best games from PSX are on PSN for cheap, which beats emulator play x1000. I never got to play Xenogears, and i cant wait to download it soon.

You forgot to say that it wasnt even a true hack, it was just a gentle and subtle crack which was possible by SQL infection (for which you dont need hacker skills, just some advanced script kiddie knowledge), which.. according to MS, was a ridiculous beginners failure.. ;)

The old games such as Xenogears have been redone because of cash, nothing else. 10$ without any merchant between, thats like 30$ on a merchant store (considering any costs involved) just in order to refresh a old game (much cheaper than to create a new game). Game downloads is a very promising buisness, because it does avoid any kind of "middle man" and all cash goes directly into the bucket of the dev. Unfortunately MS didnt have such a rich software history regarding theyr Xbox so they only made a few remakes from games such as Fable and much more. But even MS is doing exactly the same stuff. And ofc, only the very best will get a remake, it simply would crack the pot of possible development to expand that stuff even more. Devs already have all of theyr hand busy with many stuff. Apart from that, its hilarious, because they could aswell just make backward compatibility of theyr console. MS at least tried to make some of theyr older games playable on the new Xbox360 (mainly MS studios but aswell many third party), but on the PS3 only the very first model had a limited backward compatibility. Sony then stopped the support of it because they simply wanted to make remakes and make some fresh sells and aswell simply use the old PS2 for. So you see its not as easy as that, but im glad that you enjoy your PS3.

Besides i do disagree.. nothing beats a true power emulator.. because its the almost original feeling you may get. But its extremely hard to create a good and subtle emulator, a rare masterwork. I prefer to play it on the original console, although i enjoy the near unlimited save file possibility and the well adjusted screen which will fit perfectly to my plasma. So nowadays i surely enjoy remakes, but a good emulator can be closer to the original. But as i said., a good EMUs possibility is near endless... in some term they can even scale up and increase the graphic quality of games, out of raw material, almost the same way such as a remake. ;) So im surely not impressed by Sony trying to sell you the baked potatoes and making you excided with. :D

Varon
Nov 3, 2011, 03:15 AM
On a personal note I was surprised with MH 3 Tri going to the wii as Monster hunter had always been on a Sony system beforehand however it seems nintendo likes the franchise as its holding onto it for the 3ds. Monster Hunter is way bigger in japan than the western countries but the game is raking in the popularity.

Macman
Nov 3, 2011, 06:36 PM
I personally hate PSN. It's great that the service is free and all, but the connections are usually not that great. This is why when high level competitive players play online, its on PC.Fixed that for ya, bro. Dedicated servers are best.

RemiusTA
Nov 5, 2011, 03:49 AM
They do play at the arcade and as do I. However, you will find that they all also play online(A LOT at that). Only on Xbox.

Arcades dont exist in the US, i dont care what you say

And if they only play on XBL then they're just fooling themselves, because absolutely no service Microsoft can supply will make online play emulate actual on-location matches. Ever. Any real fighting game makes good use of those minute frames, as anyone who's ever had the pleasure of fighting shitty Makoto or Noel on blazblue can tell you. It doesn't matter which platform it's on. It just doesn't. Xbox, PS3, Wii, Dedicated Server, that GPO whatever thingie, you're still having to compensate. XBL may have an edge in consistency, but to be COMPLETELY FAIR, after experiencing Playstation Network (this is AFTER months and months of Xbox Live), i honestly don't know what the fuck i was even paying for. Dead Or Alive 4 still lagged like fuck, I still occasionally had shitty connections in Blazblue, and every now and then i'd be POSITIVE i hit the melee button first in Halo only to be killed/have it trade.

Good Netcode is more important than any of that dumb shit fanboys keep going on and on about.

You forgot to say that it wasnt even a true hack, it was just a gentle and subtle crack which was possible by SQL infection (for which you dont need hacker skills, just some advanced script kiddie knowledge), which.. according to MS, was a ridiculous beginners failure.. :wink:
That's probably because i dont care.

The old games such as Xenogears have been redone because of cash, nothing else. And im very happy, because finding an actual copy of the game to play on my PS3 is probably far more expensive and time consuming than simply downloading the game off PSN onto my PS3. Same end result. At the end of the day, i probably wouldn't play the game were it not on PSN. And that's the whole point of re-releasing (which is not the same as remaking, mind you.)

but on the PS3 only the very first model had a limited backward compatibility. Sony then stopped the support of it because they simply wanted to make remakes and make some fresh sells and aswell simply use the old PS2 for. So you see its not as easy as that, but im glad that you enjoy your PS3.Second time you mention Sony while we were originally talking about videogames and netplay....

And uh, no, the reason Backwards Compatibility was removed from the PS3 is because it was expensive. It had another entire processor on the motherboard dedicated to running PS2 games, and people were already not going to pay $599 US dollars for a gaming system. So, if you want to drive the price down, some shit's gotta go. I guess they removed the card readers and USB ports because they wanted to sell their own SD cards and USB expansions too, huh? Great work exposing that evil scheme.

Not like i give a damn, my PS2 is still inside of my closet. If you gave your gaming console to Gamestop to drive down the cost of your shiny new PS3 30 bucks then thats your issue. Even IF the console was BC i'd still have my PS2, just like i still have my PS1. And were i given the chance, i'd gladly not pay an extra $100 towards the cost of my PS3 to do something i was doing before the system even existed. Great feature, yes; losing sleep over it, naw.

But as i said., a good EMUs possibility is near endless... in some term they can even scale up and increase the graphic quality of games, out of raw material, almost the same way such as a remake. This is a simple matter of preference. I see no gain in upscaling old graphics that were not designed to upscaled. Now, MODDING is a completely different story, but that's also completely different than replaying the old game for what it was when it was released, which is the only reason i replay them anyway.

But i've never seen an emulator "remake" a game before.

So im surely not impressed by Sony trying to sell you the baked potatoes and making you excided with. There he goes again...when were we ever talking about sony? I see what you're doing here...

Remake =/= original title. You remake a game when you want to change or improve on things. Another way to go is "[old game] HD", where they simply redo the textures for HD display.

Dinosaur
Nov 5, 2011, 07:50 AM

And if they only play on XBL then they're just fooling themselves, because absolutely no service Microsoft can supply will make online play emulate actual on-location matches. Ever. Any real fighting game makes good use of those minute frames, as anyone who's ever had the pleasure of fighting shitty Makoto or Noel on blazblue can tell you. It doesn't matter which platform it's on. It just doesn't. Xbox, PS3, Wii, Dedicated Server, that GPO whatever thingie, you're still having to compensate. XBL may have an edge in consistency, but to be COMPLETELY FAIR, after experiencing Playstation Network (this is AFTER months and months of Xbox Live), i honestly don't know what the fuck i was even paying for. Dead Or Alive 4 still lagged like fuck, I still occasionally had shitty connections in Blazblue, and every now and then i'd be POSITIVE i hit the melee button first in Halo only to be killed/have it trade.

Good Netcode is more important than any of that dumb shit fanboys keep going on and on about.

Here in Southern California, there is more than tons of local competition in the form of arcades and tournaments. There are three arcades within a ten mile radius near here; one of which holds socal's top weekly called "Wednesday Night Fights". They even stream it and get viewers from around the world.

Even in Japan, the top players(yes, including Daigo) play on Xbox simply because the connection has basically no lag. Arguably, Japan has better internet speeds as well as physically being closer than US west player vs US east player, but that has nothing to do with Live having a stronger service(in terms of latency) than PSN.

moorebounce
Nov 8, 2011, 11:11 PM
I prefer a Dreamcast 2

The Dreamcast was before it's time and forever changed console gaming. I would be first in line for the Dreamcast 2.

NoiseHERO
Nov 8, 2011, 11:28 PM

There's some in New York...

In Chinatown...

They're just a bunch of TVs in a room with street fighter 4 on them though...

Cept for the old games at least.

No really SF4 doesn't even have an arcade machine? This generation sucks.

RemiusTA
Nov 9, 2011, 02:51 AM
I have to search here, but generally any tournaments are simply a bunch of TVs with consoles and people who bring their own fightsticks with pictures of Morrigan plastered all over them.

RLbitClassica
Nov 12, 2011, 11:52 PM
I don't like PC gaming, But I completely understand/agree with the whole dedicated server thing. The only way I can see myself being completely satisfied is if SEGA DREAMCAST 2 OMG! OMG! OMG! happens, or If nintendo somehow magically makes a console that doesn't suck the life out of online gaming.

NoiseHERO
Nov 12, 2011, 11:57 PM
Why is everyone so automatically uncomfortable with PC gaming?

Does it feel like you're playing ROMs or something?

Would ROMs on you windows XP even count as computer gaming?

IS THAT PEOPLE'S FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE?!

I'M CURIOUS!

Ark22
Nov 13, 2011, 12:05 AM
When I first thought of PC gaming I would instantly think WOW

RLbitClassica
Nov 13, 2011, 01:14 AM
I just....Don't like it. It doesn't feel right.

kyuuketsuki
Nov 13, 2011, 05:49 AM
I just....Don't like it. It doesn't feel right.
Put your PC next to your TV. Plug your PC into the TV. Plug a gamepad into the PC. Sit on your couch and play game.

Is this okay or does it still not feel right?

Macman
Nov 13, 2011, 10:30 AM
When I first thought of PC gaming I would instantly think WOWThat's kind of sad. I think of FPS without horrible console controls.

RLbitClassica
Nov 13, 2011, 11:41 AM
That's better I suppose, but I still prefer just to have a console and controller.

Kion
Nov 13, 2011, 01:38 PM
Put your PC next to your TV. Plug your PC into the TV. Plug a gamepad into the PC. Sit on your couch and play game.

This is what I'm doing. Looking forward to making a mini-itx rig for my living room.

rezakon
Nov 18, 2011, 10:28 PM
This is what I'm doing. Looking forward to making a mini-itx rig for my living room.

Yep I do this now as well, since most games are made for gamepads these days it just feels more comfortable to do it this way. I have a 32" LED TV for a monitor so I don't actually have to move my rig, just pull the stabilizing plug out of my computer chair, move it back a bit, push it in and put my feet up ^_^;

If you don't have a gamepad these days as a pc gamer your pretty much putting up with games that are designed with M+KB in second thought, so having a gamepad is a must.

If it's a 360 controller just use a emulation program to trick the game into thinking your playing with one and play with the controller of your liking.

RemiusTA
Nov 19, 2011, 12:21 AM

Does it really matter whether it does or doesn't? If you choose to play one over the other, it shouldn't really make a difference.

I prefer my console because it is 1) more portable and 2) traditionally feels better. However, on certain games, i will prefer my PC, but this is usually only if the control scheme requires a mouse and keyboard. On the rare occasion the PC version literally runs better than the console version (maybe it chugs somewhere on console) then i'll opt for the PC version. But only if it's a noticable difference.

I should probably point out, the only reason I played PSU on PC more than PS2 is because the PS2 version was damn near unplayable in most situations, especially with me being a Fortetecher.

In the end, it really doesn't matter, and consulting someone on which system they play their game on (when it's the same game) is.....well, it's kind of like trying to tell a friend who pisses sitting down that he's supposed to stand up. Not only is it none of your business....but why do you even care?

With these visuals, at the end of the day, if PSO2 was PC/360/PS3, there'd be no way to even tell who's playing on which unless it told you, or unless one player had a shitty computer.

rezakon
Nov 19, 2011, 02:28 AM
[/I]With these visuals, at the end of the day, if PSO2 was PC/360/PS3, there'd be no way to even tell who's playing on which unless it told you, or unless one player had a shitty computer.

I think sega is just waiting for the new console generation to come along so they don't run into the technical limitations they had with PSU in regards to the limitations that PS2 presented.

PC only presents a lot of leg room for any developer. No need to cert check patches or content updates, lots of technical room to work with, no overhead development costs, no sony/microsoft/psn/live bs to deal with and a slew of other factors because it's a open development platform.

Sega has/had a habit of running into walls with psu which is probably why we see PC only right now until they see the limitations of the new consoles. (they'll come back, the 360 customer base is quite big apparently).

I'm with you on the portability of consoles though, my PC weighs close to 40kg ^_^ love the portability of consoles.

kyuuketsuki
Nov 19, 2011, 11:11 AM
I'm with you on the portability of consoles though, my PC weighs close to 40kg ^_^ love the portability of consoles.
Build a microATX rig.

Masterflower
Nov 19, 2011, 12:12 PM
Lol Idk how guys can do it with keyboard and mouse. I tired once and I felt so sluggish. Whenever I play on the PC, I need a controller. With the DS3 or PS2 controller, I know the layout like the back of my hand and I feel like I'm in full control.

kyuuketsuki
Nov 19, 2011, 01:08 PM
Depends on the game. For FPSes in particular, a controller is way more sluggish (unless you turn the sensitivity up and then it just becomes difficult to control) and inaccurate than a mouse/keyboard. But for PSO/PSU, I much preferred using a controller. Not sure which way I'll go for PSO2... since it's PC-exclusive, the keyboard controls might be a lot better, but it might feel better in the end using my Xbox 360 controller.

NoiseHERO
Nov 19, 2011, 03:22 PM
Im'a buy my own house, and just build one big ass computer and it'll control my entire house and I won't need anything but the electric company a weekly supply of juice boxes and poptarts for break fast, hot pockets for lunch, and frozen pizza for dinner.

Jenni Porshakin
Nov 19, 2011, 05:19 PM
I'm fairly certain SEGA has no plans to do their own distribution service to compete with Steam. Especially given that SEGA has been adding a LOT of content to Steam lately.
I think you are correct there.

RemiusTA
Nov 19, 2011, 05:40 PM
Why should they try and compete with steam? That'd be almost as dumb as trying to compete with sony/microsoft/nintendo again.